JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Blackpink - Kill This Love (JP Ver.)

Author Topic: [Discuss] The 'what if' Thread  (Read 10803 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
[Discuss] The 'what if' Thread
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
I think it'll be fun and interesting to discuss various 'what if' scenarios. Hopefully some interesting discussion can rise out of it. They can be personal or more general. For example:

Personal 'what if' situations:
- What if your favorite member got a boyfriend? (sell all your merch or be happy for her, etc)
- What if your favorite member graduated AKB48?

Or more general:
- What if Acchan left the group? (Who will become the frontgirl? Do they need a front girl at all?)

Answer the ones you like and feel free to come up with more 'what if' situations  :)

Offline kahmshi

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: [Discuss] The 'what if' Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
- What if your favorite member got a boyfriend? (sell all your merch or be happy for her, etc)
I'm a girl so i'll be totally happy for her :) but i think male fans have a different attachement to idols,they saw them like "dream girlfriends".I personally see them as "cute friends".

It'll be hard for me,but i like akb48 as a group and will totally stay a fan.

- What if Acchan left the group? (Who will become the frontgirl? Do they need a front girl at all?)
It'll be a BIG loss for the group.Fan have to be honest,as if you don't like aachan,you can't deny that she's a big part of akb success.
I really like aachan as if she's not my favourite member.
I think a group like akb48 need a front girl because a 48 person group need a "face".

edit:i forgot to post my "what if..."

What if akb48 stopped to perform in the theater? Would you stay a fan?What consequences do you think there'll be?

(I really hope the theater will live forever XD)

Offline jafeijai

• Member+
  • Music is my life ♪
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Q: What if your favorite member got a boyfriend? (sell all your merch or be happy for her, etc)
A: Well, out of the example answers, it's sort of hard to sell my merchandise if I don't have any, right? Plus, it's sort of hard to try and sell digital media either so I guess that's out of the question too. :P Onto a more serious note, I'd have to say I'd probably be happy for her. In the end, AKB48 is simply a job to the girls. One with generally more strict rules than a common office job (for example), but that doesn't change the fact that it's just a job. And them being able to find love outside the 'workplace' (or maybe even inside, who knows?) is something that I would be happy for. I'll refrain from commenting on the consequences of finding love in their position though. ...The lucky bastard better not hurt her in any way though; there'd be a world of hurt to face otherwise.

Q: What if your favorite member graduated AKB48?
A: Of course there would be the initial disappointment (and maybe even a bit of a withdrawal from AKB media) and shock of the announcement. But overall, I don't think it would affect me too much. Then again, this is coming from a guy who doesn't have an all-out favourite member, so my opinion isn't really as biased as it should be in this case.

Q: What if Acchan left the group? (Who will become the frontgirl? Do they need a front girl at all?)
A: If Acchan left the group, I think the group might suffer a bit of a popularity drop. As people may know, Acchan is pretty much the 'face' of AKB48 and what would naturally come from that is one of the largest individual fanbases of the group (proven by the mixi rankings). Of course, that's not to say that those fanbases only support Acchan, but I would think the interest in the group could drop as a result of Acchan's graduation (or scandal, or whatever else could cause Acchan to leave the group).

I'd argue that there is a necessity for a member to become the 'face' of the group simply because that's the way the general public (thus, excluding those who aren't already fans or aren't too deep into the group) would be able to remember the group. The 'face' of the group is like the 'gateway' into becoming a fan of the group; that's where you would start if you wanted to judge whether or not the group was appealing to your interests. As to who would become the 'face' if Acchan were to leave, I'd argue that Akicha has the potential. Similar to Acchan, I'd say that Akicha is a more 'well-rounded' idol in the sense that they both don't have a more 'extreme' side to them (i.e. Sasshi's Wotagei, Yuko's groping). It also helps that Akicha's being pushed to the front quite a bit since her promotion to Team A (she's on the cover of their 2nd album!). AND she's hot. Just saying. Actually, by those grounds, Kitarie would also be a possibility as well.

Q: What if akb48 stopped to perform in the theater? Would you stay a fan? What consequences do you think there'll be?
A: Them not performing in the theater wouldn't affect me as a fan, since I'm unable to see them perform there in person anyways. In addition to that, most of the performances that I have seen were of the concerts in various places (Budoukan, JCB, ..) so in that respect, it wouldn't affect me too much either.

In terms of the consequences, I'd say AKB48 not performing in the theater would definitely hurt their popularity. After all, their original motto is that they're idols that you can go and meet (now it's become more like 'idols that come to you', but they still stick mostly to the former). And without a place where you can regularly show up and meet with them, the motto breaks down instantly.

My question to you folks: We all know that (original) Team K was the more 'athletic' team between the three teams. What if Team K never existed and it was only Team A and Team B? Would that change the way you think of AKB48 (well...AB48) as a whole?

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »

Couldn't care less. I mean, if it was flaunted about in the open it would be very... well, it's impossible for that to be so since it defies Japan's "idol" concept, but it would be a little off-putting, sure. I'm not oblivious, though. I know that they are pretty, young, and normal people. I'm sure a favorite of mine is currently or has been involved with someone. So what? Doesn't really affect me any as long as they don't show up to the AKBINGO! tapings covered in hickeys.

It's already happened to me. :lol: Though not a fan of rankings, I do have my oshimen and top girls, but if Sasshi were to graduate, I'd see what we had left and someone else'd take over in that regard. MaiMai left AKB, I still love her, still support her products if I think they're worth supporting, but AKB as a whole is still awesome without her.

- What if Acchan left the group?

If it happened right this second, it would be pure chaos. I don't think the producers would know what to do. Everything is so tied to her that it would be like taking the spaghetti out of spaghetti and meatballs. It would just be strange.

- What if akb48 stopped to perform in the theater? Would you stay a fan?What consequences do you think there'll be?

Personally, it doesn't affect me much as the theater is a mere 6,220 miles (10,011 km) from my house, but I think if AKB stopped doing that the results would be disastrous for their popularity. They would lose the super otaku market which they still rely on heavily for elevated sales. Less sales means less income, less push, less exposure.

This thread is interesting. :thumbup Here's mine:

- What if you could have a no limits discussion with one of the AKB48 girls? Who would you pick and what would you ask?

For me, it'd be Sashihara Rino. I'd like to know about her past, why she became an idol, what she really thinks about the other members, and her *cough* orientation *cough*.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »
What if your favorite member got a boyfriend?
- my job here is done

What if your favorite member graduated AKB48?
-to be honest, i support the girls, not so much the collective. Example, if say, Mayuyu graduated/kicked out or something, i'd look forward to what she has to do outside AKB, either be acting gigs, gravure, tarento stuff, its all good. goes for anyone of my favorites... hell, i 'discovered' AKB thru non AKB stuff anyways (Maeda's movies, and kojima's doramas)..

What if Acchan left the group?
-This could go very wrong, or very right.

What if akb48 stopped to perform in the theater? Would you stay a fan?What consequences do you think there'll be?
- They will fall. It's what makes them AKB as far as i'm concerned.

What if you could have a no limits discussion with one of the AKB/SKE48 girls? Who would you pick and what would you ask?
- Rena Matsui. yeah, yeah, favorites.. but amongst them, i bet girl her age surely has interesting things to say. And i'd like to believe most of the girls are "smarter than they look" (no offense.. c'mon man, idols.) I'd prolly ask about their thoughts on the business. Or i dunno, random random stuff. Like, what's your favorite pajama color. do you like bananas?

my silly question:
What If 3 members were sent to your house, and were assigned to stay there for a month, literally stay inside, with you for a month... ala Big brother (no going out,eetc), who would those 3 be? why? why not Acchan?

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
What if your favorite member got a boyfriend? (sell all your merch or be happy for her, etc)

Be happy for her, of course. This is assuming (although very unlikely) that she doesn't get fired for having a boyfriend. Even now I don't expect my favourites to not have boyfriends, and there's no reason for me to hate her just because she finally managed to find something she can truly be happy about by herself. Of course, if she gets fired as a result, I don't really want to think about that.

I'd yearn for her once in a while, but I think the beauty of AKB48 as a whole is that there's no way you could only have one favourite. Much like jaf I'm not a 'one girl' person, so while I lean towards some girls, their graduation would not have a significant impact on how much I enjoy AKB48. If all of them graduated at the same time, though..

Like what ronin said, it's not so much the collective as it is the girls themselves. Most of the girls I do follow have their own gigs, which means there's less of an impact.

What if Acchan left the group? (Who will become the frontgirl? Do they need a front girl at all?)

AKB48 would fall into the abyss and cease to exist in any significant form. In a way I'm not kidding. AKB definitely needs a frontgirl. A girl that in a nutshell, is the embodiment of all of AKB. I'd say that falls to one of the currently more popular girls (ie Mariko, Haruna, Minami), if Acchan were to leave for whatever reason. But I would say that the circumstances of Acchan leaving would greatly impact how the group comes out of it. For example, if she left due to allegations of sexual harassment or something..

What if you could have a no limits discussion with one of the AKB48 girls? Who would you pick and what would you ask?

Noro Kayo. Of course I wouldn't really pick her if 'no limits discussion' meant spending 24 hours with her in an interview room, or something. But favourites aside, I think Noro has the most insight into how the group works as a whole. At least, she comes off to me as understanding where AKB48 stands as idols. I'm pretty sure I'd get pretty candid answers from her, more so than other girls. I'd ask her all sorts of questions. I want to ask her why Nachinon's not active anymore (even if they are terrible at humour).

It'd be disastrous. Personally, I'd be crushed. With the theater, I'd be able to see AKB48 perform up close, even if they cease to be popular (which they will). And in general, there's quite a huge impact if you can't actually meet the 'idols you can meet'. Nonetheless, I'd stay a fan, for reasons I already elaborated on above.

What if Team K never existed and it was only Team A and Team B? Would that change the way you think of AKB48 (well...AB48) as a whole?

Nope, not really. Assuming I don't have retrospective knowledge of K ever existing, of course.

What If 3 members were sent to your house, and were assigned to stay there for a month, literally stay inside, with you for a month... ala Big brother (no going out,eetc), who would those 3 be? why? why not Acchan?

Atsuko, Minami and Kasai. Because Kasai can cook, Atsuko can look cute being bored and Minami can tell us all funny stories.

My question to you:
If Aki-P decided to give you the decision to push one girl to the front, who will it be? Which aspect (gravure, tv, stages) would you concentrate on? And why? Try to make it as objective as possible.

Offline Melchizadek

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »
What if your favorite member got a boyfriend? (sell all your merch or be happy for her, etc)

I certainly wouldn't sell my merch.  Having a boyfriend wouldn't make Tomochin any less beautiful or talented.  I might be initially disappointed; but once I remembered that there was no she would actually end up dating me, I would be happy for her.

If Tomochin graduated, I don't really think it would make me like AKB48 any less.  Even though she was the main reason I got into the group in the first place, I've grown very fond of a lot of other girls as well. Plus, it's not like she would disappear from the spotlight.  She's very popular and she's with HoriPro.

What if Acchan left the group? (Who will become the frontgirl? Do they need a front girl at all?)

I'm sure they do need a front girl so the casual fans can see her and know that they are seeing AKB48.  As for who would take over, I'm thinking Yuko because she (1) is awesome, and (2) received the second most votes in the Senbatsu election.

What if you could have a no limits discussion with one of the AKB48 girls? Who would you pick and what would you ask?

If it was really a "no limits" discussion, I would pick Tomochin and ask her all sorts of questions about herself (her likes/dislikes, what her relationship with her younger sister is like, etc.)

I would stay a fan, though be disappointed if I couldn't see them when I finally get the money saved up to visit Japan.  I think the radical change in concept would probably anger a large part of their wota fanbase, and their popularity would drop very quickly.

What if Team K never existed and it was only Team A and Team B? Would that change the way you think of AKB48 (well...AB48) as a whole?

I was going to write about how we wouldn't have gotten Blue Rose or Korogaru Ishi ni Nare - but then I remember that they were in B1.  So, I'm not so sure that my thinking about the group as a whole would have changed; but my perception of Team B would probably have been very different.

Tomochin, Tomo~mi, and Myao.  I like all of them, and if we get bored they can sing Natto Angel to me.  Not Acchan because, to tell the truth, she's not really even in my top 10.  :nervous

If Aki-P decided to give you the decision to push one girl to the front, who will it be? Which aspect (gravure, tv, stages) would you concentrate on? And why?

I would pick Masuda Yuka, and concentrate on her singing in the stages.  She has a great voice, and should get to showcase it more.

Now for my question:
What if you got to pick a shuffle unit for the next concert.  Which song would you pick? Which girls would you have performing it? And, of course, why?

Offline shahi

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
I will happy for her

If Sayaka or Takami gratuated it'll be hard to me

I like Acchan but no more then Takami.And if she left the group it is will be bad because i think that she is really the face of akb48

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »

This may be weird, but it depends on who the guy is  :lol: If he's someone cool, than I'd have less of a 'problem' with it haha.

Plenty of fish in the sea. But yeah, it depends. For example, if Rena would quit SKE to focus on an acting career than I'd be happy for her.

They do need a front girl imo. Acchan does is perfectly, but I think there are some other girls who might be able to fill the gap.

Maybe Yuki. nah, screw it. I'll go for Rena. She seems really mature and I'd like to hear her opinion on all sorts of stuff. But also on a less serious level, ask about her hobbies and interests... the usual basic stuff.

No idea... if it means the teams will be bigger, than I probably wouldn't have noticed some of the members.

Rena, Yuki, Kasai. Why? Rena to talk with, Yuki to joke around with and Kasai to keep me warm at night  :lol:

If Aki-P decided to give you the decision to push one girl to the front, who will it be? Which aspect (gravure, tv, stages) would you concentrate on? And why?

Takada Shiori. She's so funny and pretty, but she hasn't got a chance to shine yet. I think she could do well on tv, as well as a solo single.

What if you got to pick a shuffle unit for the next concert.  Which song would you pick? Which girls would you have performing it? And, of course, why?

11. Kuchiutsushi Chocolate (Yukirin, Tomo~mi, Kitarie)

Great song, hot outfits, legal members  XD

My new question:
What if Itano Tomomi did not have 'the fang'?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:52:41 PM by BarrieV »

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
What if Jurina and Rena were sisters?

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »

I'd totally be happy for her. I'd be shocked by the news though, cos it'll pretty much also mean her leaving the group if it gets as far as me reading about it.

From past experience. I'd be really down for a few weeks, especially if it's one of those sudden graduations.
I'd be totally past it afterwards though, and then try to support the group she was in.

Acchan would totally have no problem with a solo career now (singer or celebrity).
The group would be ok and build up a new front girl pretty easily (just think of how Acchan has changed since her debut till now). If anything, AKB has some great talent to choose from.
On the other hand. If all remaining original Team A members suddenly left this year, it would be pure hell for the group.

I would choose Yuki. :wub:
Think I'd still ask very basic questions. Like "If you had one totally free day what would you plan up?"
Because I hope to chat in english and learn basic japanese words from her and also teaching her a little english, while also learning what she likes.
I'd also try to ask if she misses her family/friends from being so busy in AKB.
(I guess I just don't want to ask her or the other members edgy stuff to make them uncomfortable)

Honestly, team K is the team I'm following least in AKB. But for me it would make a difference.
They gave me an impression of having the strongest dancing performances and also the strongest bond between members.
It would be like AKB lost this style of music, and songs like River would not have existed.

What if 3 members were sent to your house, and were assigned to stay there for a month, literally stay inside, with you for a month... ala Big brother (no going out,eetc), who would those 3 be? why? why not Acchan?

Mayuyu. To kick my ass in videogames and trash my toy collection. :P
Rena. To lose to me at everything, be embarrassed by all of it, then probably tell me at the end of the month it was all just an act to make me feel better from Mayuyu pwning me. With a wink~ :heart:
Yukirin. Chocolate. end of comment. :D
Not Acchan. Because she'd probably be blogging the whole month on her mobile! :w00t:

Sato Amina. I really hoped Akicha and her would rise in popularity at the same speed, cos they'd be a hot pair. It's kinda sad that she doesn't get much spotlight time anymore.
I think she'd do great gravure, tv and performances. All I ask is one photobook with her and Akicha, the results will speak for themselves.

Bird - Yuko (Takamina) Yukirin (Shinoda) Acchan (MaiMai)
Because it would be DAMN AWESOME! :w00t: awww, now I really want to see it happen... :cry:
P.S. I originally chose Itano for MaiMai's spot, till I found she's already done it: [noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiVFyHlXP8[/noembed]. You evil wittle wascal! :wub:

What if Itano Tomomi did not have 'the fang'?

She'd still look attractive

What if Jurina and Rena were sisters?
I'd still only like Rena. Sorry Jurina. :bow:

new question:
What if Oshima Yuko's throat surgery went wrong? Would you support her to take another surgery even if it only had a 50/50 chance of healing her or totally losing her voice. Or tell her to stop and keep her normal voice, but not be able to sing anymore?

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

What if Oshima Yuko's throat surgery went wrong? Would you support her to take another surgery even if it only had a 50/50 chance of healing her or totally losing her voice. Or tell her to stop and keep her normal voice, but not be able to sing anymore?

That's difficult to say because I don't really remember the reason why she needed to have surgery in the first place.

"Would you support her to take another surgery even if it only had a 50/50 chance of healing her or totally losing her voice."

No. Even though she may not be able to sing anymore, she could have a very successful career as an actress.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
I guess it depends when it would happen. If Acchan graduated today I guess Yuko would remain as the front girl. If Acchan graduated in 2012 then I would put all my money on Mayuyu. Mayuyu is already super popular and she has same kind of mainstream appeal as Acchan so it would make sense to pimp her.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »
What if Rena and Jurina turned out to be an anti-pairing?

If they really didn't got along... would one have become the true front girl?

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 03:41:19 AM »
What if Rena and Jurina turned out to be an anti-pairing?

The two of them are so friendly it's hard to even imagine that. :lol: I don't think it would profoundly affect much. Less blog pics of them together but none of them are going to show a (real) rivalry on stage. Not if they value their spot/jobs anyway. Honestly though, I can't even really imagine it very well. I dunno.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »
^yes, even if they would not like each other, they are professional enough to not let it show. Luckily, they get a long great.

What if Yuki got into MM? How would her character develop? What would happen to Team B, who would be Team B's "ace"?

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
What if Yuki got into MM? How would her character develop? What would happen to Team B, who would be Team B's "ace"?

NO

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »
What about if she joins Afilia Saga East :grin: :lol:  :rofl:

i still think some h!p eggs can join AKB and actually be popular :thumbup

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
 :lol: I think Yuki is too level headed for the whole magic act, but I'd love to see her in those uniforms.

And yes, there's definitely some talent in H!P that could shine in AKB. Sayaka Kitahara. Just think of the possibilities! 

Offline Crazy shizz

• Anya's Slave
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
Some guy all over Chiichan?
That would suck major balls but I'd have to deal with it.

I would be REALLY SAD but I have a ton of other favorites and most graduated members keep a blog even after they graduate. (cept' Gussan)

I like Acchan a lot so I would be disappointed. AKB48 needs a frontgirl and I think the most likely would be Yuko, because she was the center of HebiRote and that single did really well.

Takamina. She IS AKB48 imo. I'd ask her why Noguchi Reina left in like two days and then shut off her blog in 20 minutes.  :lol: No but really I'd ask her how AKB48 really works. (because I've been a fan for a while and I still don't have it all down) People like Takamina come very unoften so I'd ask her tons of questions really.

No Team K= No Yuko and Saeyaka. No Yuko = No AKB48 for Crazy shizz

Chiichan, Nakayan, and Takamina.

If Aki-p ever did that I would kiss his feet. But obviously I would pick my oshimen. Because really what kind of fan would you be if you never complained about your girl being outshined by Acchan.

no idea  :lol:

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Blackpink - Kill This Love (JP Ver.)