JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tahiti - Hasta Luego

Author Topic: Sailor Moon Crystal - 2014 Reboot  (Read 6263 times)

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
Sailor Moon Crystal - 2014 Reboot
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
It's been in the works for over a year now, with release dates getting pushed back and all the news being super mysterious....
But it's finally almost time for the Sailor Moon Crystal!

We finally have a release date of July 5th and it will be released simultaneously worldwide on NicoNico! The official site also announced the cast today along with new character art which you can find here! Also, while most of the cast seems new to the franchise, Mitsuishi Kotono is reprising the role of Sailor Moon herself!

With the release date getting closer, I suspect we will get more and more goodies soon. What are your reactions to the news/new designs?

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
Re: Sailor Moon Crystal - 2014 Reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
I watched Sailor Moon in Swedish when I was younger, and me and my friends fell completely in love with the magical girl concept. I read parts of the manga and always meant getting more into it, but sort of forgot about it until I first heard about the plans of a reboot. I was engulfed with Sailor Moon fever, and I've been preparing myself by watching the original show and collecting 20th anniversary goods XD

Sailor Moon, despite only being available to me in Swedish, was one of the first shows that got me into Japanese pop culture - and though I might be somewhat of a rookie within the fan community and the franchise itself, I am super excited about the reboot. It's such an iconic franchise, and it deserves a new generation of fans. I am excited to learn that it will be broadcast worldwide on NicoNico, that was news to me, and I'm glad to hear it :D

I picked up a full set of these figures during my Easter vacation in Amsterdam this year:

Two Sailor Venus (both with Artemis o_o; not sure if Artemis is included with every version of Sailor Venus or not) - at least they were the two different versions of her XD

Mercury not having any of this winking crap.

Sailor Moon with Luna (!), Tuxedo Mask with his fabulous top hat xD

I have also accumulated some 20th anniversary plushies and the first 20th anniversary Sailor Moon S.H.Figuarts figure which was released last year.

Currently browsing the collectible toys and accessories on the official sites. So many goodies I want in my life. What is your one must have item? :D

What has the general reactions to the new characters designs been like? I personally like them a lot. They look elegant, and they feel very true to the original character designs from the manga. They look more mature somehow.

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
Yes, the merch has been great since the 20th anniversary was announced! And I'm sure it will continue with the series. I love those little figures!

I know there's only a limited amount of episodes (it looks to be enough to get through the first "season" maybe), so I hope they don't make this and then we have to wait another year for subsequent seasons.

Also, it seems like opinions on the new designs are mixed. I don't hate them at all, but I was personally expecting more. Someone put them up against a generic group "stock" photo from the early days, and the new designs/poses didn't look NEAR as dynamic. However, I am trying to reserve judgement until we see more and also until we see a preview of the animation.

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
Viz Licenses Original Sailor Moon Franchise

All 200 TV episodes, 3 films, & specials unedited with subtitles & new dub
North American anime distributor Viz Media announced after its Anime Central panel on Friday that it licensed the original Sailor Moon magical girl anime franchise. The streaming, digital, and home video licenses include all 200 episodes from the five television series, the three feature films, and the assorted tie-in specials. This will include the first North American release of the final television series, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

Viz is offering the franchise without edits in its original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, with the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. It is also producing an uncut English dub with a new voice cast.

Viz aims to release the franchise digitally with English subtitles starting this summer, followed by the English dub starting in late 2014. It also plans DVD and Blu-ray/DVD combo releases in half-season sets starting this fall.

The first four television anime episodes will stream with English subtitles on Viz Media's NeonAlley.com service and the Hulu Plus service on Monday. Two more episodes will then debut every Monday ("Moon-day," as Viz's representatives deemed it).

Viz will celebrate "Sailor Moon Day" on Saturday, July 5 (the same day that the new Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime premieres worldwide) at Anime Expo. Viz will host panels with announcements of the new dub cast and staff, as well as what Viz hopes will be the world's largest Sailor Moon cosplay gathering.

Viz notes that the above trailer features a preview of the voice actress for Sailor Moon in the new dub. Original manga creator Naoko Takeuchi will personally approve the new dub's cast.

Takeuchi launched the original magical girl team manga series in the shōjo monthly manga magazine Nakayoshi in 1992. It soon spawned anime, a live-action television project, musicals, and other adaptations, and it also sparked a worldwide boom. The 20th anniversary project began in 2012, and featured the first musical in eight years at the AiiA Theater Tokyo last September. Kodansha has been republishing the original manga in a complete edition since last November, and Kodansha USA Publishing's Kodansha Comics imprint has been publishing the manga in North America.

While this isn't "Crystal" related, it's still Sailor Moon in 2014 and coincides with it, so I figured it appropriate!

TL;DR
SAILOR MOON ON DVD/BLU-RAY. ALL OF IT.
URANUS AND NEPTUNE ARE NO LONGER COUSINS.
NEW DUB!

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »
Hm, so I am noticing a lot of twitter noise about Sailor Moon Crystal at the moment. This image is going around, and people are asking for fans to boycott the series. Errrr, what?

I am not sure if they are trolls or if they are butthurt fans. It's hard to tell the difference at times.

In happier news, there's an official trailer now! What do you guys think of it?

I really like the little intro, I can't wait to see the first full episode! Is this the first clip we've heard of the new Momoiro theme song? I want to hear the full thing~

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
I think that picture was sarcasm, but it definitely comes from people wanting to boycott Crystal for... whatever reason. A lot of people aren't down with the art style/animation, but lbr.... some of the animation in the original series was AWFUL at times. Like I was a little leery of the style at first, but not enough to boycott it???? That's just extreme.

THAT BEING SAID, I do think this style looks soooo much better in motion!!! Like the little sequence of her getting ready and putting a pin in her bun is so cute. I'm way excited for this.

And yeah, the theme song sounds great!  :heart:

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
First episode's out on Crunchyroll, Neon Alley, and Hulu. Also on Niconico (free for the first 2 weeks).

Quick review: Not bad. Like the new look of the anime. Happy to hear the original seiyuu of Usagi again. New transformation sequence needs to get used too. Still favor the original music back then. Hope they shorten it in future episodes. Love the openning.  :twothumbs

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
cross-posting:

Also Viz Media announced at Anime Expo the cast for the English dub of the original anime.

The New SAILOR MOON English Cast Includes:

Usagi Tsukino / Sailor Moon – Stephanie Sheh
Ami Mizuno / Sailor Mercury – Kate Higgins
Rei Hino / Sailor Mars – Christina Vee
Makoto Kino / Sailor Jupiter – Amanda Miller
Minako Aino / Sailor Venus – Cherami Leigh
Mamoru Chiba / Tuxedo Mask – Robbie Daymond

The SAILOR MOON Supporting Cast Includes:

Luna – Michelle Ruff
Artemis – Johnny Yong Bosch

Naru Osaka – Danielle Nicole
Gurio Umino – Ben Diskin

Ikuku Tsukino – Tara Platt
Kenji Tsukino – Keith Silverstein
Shingo Tsukino – Nicolas Roye

Queen Beryl – Cindy Robinson

Jadite – Todd Haberkorn
Nephrite – Liam O'Brien
Zoicite – Lucien Dodge
Kunzite – Patrick Seitz

You maybe asking why this is on a Sailor Moon Crystal thread? That same cast will also be doing the voices for the new anime as well. At least Viz Media is being consistent.  :yep:

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:56:10 AM »
BLACK MOON ARC!!! (or to others - Sailor Moon R: Crystal version)

Offline pmnajib90

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
Exciting! :O

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tahiti - Hasta Luego