JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 1TYM - Summer Night (feat. Big Mama)

Author Topic: When Did You Lose Your Sports Fan ‘Innocence’?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
When Did You Lose Your Sports Fan ‘Innocence’?
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
For those hardcore like me, you know what I mean. Heard this on Cannons, P.O.B. posed this question via an article from the NY Times.

When Did You Lose Your Sports Fan ‘Innocence’?

As we are constantly reminded, major league sports are, at heart, a business. Many personnel decisions are based on dollars and cents, not legacies and fan favorites, and it is often the fans who take these decisions the hardest.

Teddy, the 5-year-old son of The New York Times’s Alan Schwarz, was recently awakened to this harsh reality when the Mets traded Francisco Rodriguez, Teddy’s favorite player, to the Brewers. Schwarz writes,

K-Rod was gone, taking with him that piece of Teddy’s childhood that only baseball can reach. The game is vastly more magical when you’re young: the gorgeous arc of home runs, the endless green of the outfield, that moment when your favorite player winks at you from his baseball card.

So, when did you lose your fan innocence? Perhaps the Dave Winfield trade? Or when the Rangers traded Brian Leetch? Or maybe the Midnight Massacre of 1977, when the Mets traded Tom Seaver to Cincinnati?

For me, two stand out in my mind....

Two different situations. You could not imagine them ever happening. My world just came crashing down...esp. when Magic is still going strong, there's always those "What ifs"

Share your comments and memories below.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: When Did You Lose Your Sports Fan ‘Innocence’?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
hmm there weren't too many because we don't have any pro teams and I rarely had any favorite players in sake of cheering for them so I guess there's college and other stuff

When Hawaii went 0-12 and brought in June Jones

When we lost the longtime men's basketball coach to the stubborn AD

Little League baseball wins and losses in championship games

Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
Latrell Sprewell. PJ Carlesimo. 'Nuff said.

Contrary to how everyone else reacted to it, though, I instead began my path of sympathizing more with "controversial" players while scrutinizing management and hating other fans...my sports fandom experience has become more and more hellish ever since.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »
When Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton were traded. As much has it hurt, it sorta made sense to trade GP and without him leaving, he wouldn't have got his ring (Thanks to Shaq and Wade) but Kemp being traded was utterly stupid. The Sonics should have paid Kemp to keep him happy. We could have made multiple trips to the Finals and win at least one. Kemp would have not gotten fat and while it's a long shot, the Sonics could have still been in Seattle.

Speaking of which, Sonics leaving Seattle while rather recent really sucked. I've made my peace with it but going to Key Arena now isn't the same.

Griffey being traded also hurt. A year later, Ichiro came to the M's. When they were on the M's in 09 that flip my shit. But I can't help but imagine how the team would have been with Ichiro and Griffey in 01. Maybe we wouldn't have had that 116 win season. But perhaps we would have made more playoff appearances. Ichiro only have 1 playoff appearance is madness to me. 
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 1TYM - Summer Night (feat. Big Mama)