JPHiP Radio (38/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IU - Rain Drop

Author Topic: Chestnut smashes world record, beats Kobayashi for title  (Read 7822 times)

Offline aKaoNi

• ecchi
  • Member+
Chestnut smashes world record, beats Kobayashi for title
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:37:46 PM »
Congratulations to Joey Chestnut the 2007 Hot Dog Eating Champion!!!!

It's official, after a nine year absence Joey Chestnut brings the title back to America in the 2007 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest by defeating 6 time champion Takeru Kobayashi and setting a new world record 66 hot dogs eaten in 12 minutes while Kobayashi sets a new personal record of 63! There was much speculation and controversy going into the match about Kobayashi's health with his jaw being the center of attention going into the match as shortly after Joey Chestnut set a new world record of 59 hot dogs last month in a qualifying round news started spreading of Kobayashi suffering from Jaw Arthritis with many questioning the timing of this revelation and the actual truthfulness of the reports. Well it went down, the match being billed the Ali vs. Frazier of competitive eating, the match lived up to the hype with it going down to the wire! Chestnut held the lead for most of the match but in the final minutes Kobayashi pulled ahead but only for a moment as Chestnut managed to dig deep and pull ahead to be crowned the 2007 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Champion!

Note: I ran a search for competitive eating and the only thread related was the Random Krazy sport thread which doesn't seem to garner much attention so I created this thread to give proper shine to a New American Hero!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Chestnut smashes world record, beats Kobayashi for title
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »
Stunning news.  Really.

The king is down, but is he out?

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH

This guy is is a Real American Hero. Right up there with Hulk Hogan and Guile from Street Fighter II.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:15 PM »
I'm surprised Kobayashi beat his own record. With all that news and speculations about his health I thought he wouldn't even be close to his old one. Good to see it was a close one at least. Congrats Chestnut.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »
You gotta wonder how long Chestnut has been "training" for this. :lol:

Congrats, I guess.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline nop

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 01:50:49 AM »
66 to 63, unbelievable.  It was a good match.  Hope no one die next year.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:10:22 AM »
Kobayashi claimed jaw injury but was like decided to compete just a few days ago.

What an upset!! Like someone knocking off the 60s Celtics or 70's Habs!

Offline Shumatsu Samurai

• もっちぃ
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 03:56:02 PM »
"Competetive Eating"... I think it's disturbing, disgusting, unhealthy and sad and shouldn't be called a "sport".
Everyday, everywhere, even in America, people are starving, while these "athletes" stuff themselves for money....
Yeah, congratulations to the new hero - a great role model for kids and adults alike...
 :roll:
Flame me all you want but that's my opinion.

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
Reminds me of that King of the Hill episode...

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »
AMERICA, FUCK YEAH
Haha...Guess you gotta be proud of something..

Offline aKaoNi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »
"Competetive Eating"... I think it's disturbing, disgusting, unhealthy and sad and shouldn't be called a "sport".
Everyday, everywhere, even in America, people are starving, while these "athletes" stuff themselves for money....
Yeah, congratulations to the new hero - a great role model for kids and adults alike...
 :roll:
Flame me all you want but that's my opinion.

Actually up until this past 2007 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, there were no cash prizes awarded, just the bragging rights to what is probably one of the most famous food eating competitions in the world. While it's easy to place a label on something just from hearing or reading something about it, you shouldn't be quick to judge it with such a negative view without actually knowing more about it than what you read in the headlines. It's the good things these organizations do such as Nathan's donating over 10,000 hot dogs each year to City Harvest, a group that feeds more than 260,000 New Yorkers each week that does not make the headlines. So before you blame these competitive eater's for the world's hunger and starvation issues, know they probably do more to raise awareness and help fight hunger than the athletes that make millions up millions of dollars every year but claim they aren't getting paid enough to feed their own family.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
This guy is is a Real American Hero. Right up there with Hulk Hogan and Guile from Street Fighter II.
HAHAHA!!

This is quite a surprise. I've only ever seen Kobayashi beaten once before and that was by a grizzly bear....

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »
[youtube=425,350]_V-2NKUlzns[/youtube]
Quote from: Commentator
This will be the greatest moment in the history of American sports, if Chestnut can bring the belt home to Coney Island..

:rofl:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »
^ :ROFL: I didn't notice till I watched on Sportscentre that Kobayashi puked it out OHSHIT

Yeah Shumatsu Samurai, America THE FAT. There is actually a MLE. Major League Eating:
http://www.majorleagueeating.com/

and International Federation of Competitive Eating - IFOCE
http://www.ifoce.com/news.php?action=detail&sn=437

that officially sanctions this shit. So that pie eating contest at the county fair has become BIG TIME ESPN ratings bonanzas. BELIEVE IT.

Offline Kid Kash

• The Notorious K-I-D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 06:16:20 PM »
Only 3 at Kobayashi's worst?

Anyways, congrats to Chestnut.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:17:27 PM by Kid Kash »

Offline aKaoNi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 06:50:04 PM »
Quote from: Commentator
This will be the greatest moment in the history of American sports, if Chestnut can bring the belt home to Coney Island..

:rofl:

Haha, yeah that commentator was great, I liked 'If Chestnut wins, you can look up American Hero on google tomorrow and find Abe Lincoln, Neal Armstrong, Taylor Hicks and this guy.'  :lol:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 07:03:02 PM »
lol The commentaries are always shitty.

"THIS IS WHAT (Whatever the sport/league/etc is) IS ALL ABOUT!!"

When nothing special even happens.

Offline Shumatsu Samurai

• もっちぃ
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 08:47:44 PM »

Actually up until this past 2007 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, there were no cash prizes awarded, just the bragging rights to what is probably one of the most famous food eating competitions in the world. While it's easy to place a label on something just from hearing or reading something about it, you shouldn't be quick to judge it with such a negative view without actually knowing more about it than what you read in the headlines. It's the good things these organizations do such as Nathan's donating over 10,000 hot dogs each year to City Harvest, a group that feeds more than 260,000 New Yorkers each week that does not make the headlines. So before you blame these competitive eater's for the world's hunger and starvation issues, know they probably do more to raise awareness and help fight hunger than the athletes that make millions up millions of dollars every year but claim they aren't getting paid enough to feed their own family.

Last things first: Sprewell is a moron but at least basketball is a real sport that produces people you can let your kids look up to. I doubt you seriously would want to compare Kobayashi or Chestnut or any other eater to Jordan, Johnson or Bird (for example).
On the rest of your stuff:
I was commenting on eating competitions in general but you make it look as if I were attacking Nathan's only. That's not what I said. I'm also not blaming these so called athletes for starvation or hunger. I was just stating facts. Of course it's not their fault but wouldn't you agree that there's something wrong here? People are starving while others waste food for "sports".
If you really want to argue, please don't screw up the things that were said.
You complain that donating 10000+ hotdogs a year doesn't make the news? I complain that all the voluntary workers that spend their own time and money every day to help the poor don't make the news! For a company it's easy to write a check for some good PR. And while 10000 a year sounds much at first, it's quite a small number if you take the mentioned 260000 people that need support every week and multiply that up to a full year. (260000 * 52 weeks = 13520000)...

I also think it's quite offensive of you to just assume I don't know what I'm talking about. Just because not everybody writes an essay justifying their position every time they post doesn't mean they jump to conclusions or have no clue about what's going on.
I guess you're just too excited about the whole thing that you feel personally offended by my different opinion.

^ :ROFL: I didn't notice till I watched on Sportscentre that Kobayashi puked it out OHSHIT

Yeah Shumatsu Samurai, America THE FAT. There is actually a MLE. Major League Eating:
http://www.majorleagueeating.com/

and International Federation of Competitive Eating - IFOCE
http://www.ifoce.com/news.php?action=detail&sn=437

that officially sanctions this shit. So that pie eating contest at the county fair has become BIG TIME ESPN ratings

bonanzas. BELIEVE IT.
I know - I've seen it before and I think it's disturbing that this stuff is even shown on TV...
There was a documentary about it last year. They showed several competitions, "training" and some "great historical moments", as well as comments by regular people. After that, a doctor commented about the long term risks for participants and a psychologist explained that we have to live with this and other phenomena in the future....

Offline Jsmurf

• BUKKAKE!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »
awesome sport
lol, still better than professional curling though  :grin:
:shakeit:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 12:28:40 AM »
^ I don't know, man. Check out this kick ass action shot.

:shocked:

JPHiP Radio (38/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IU - Rain Drop