JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Amano Tsukiko - Koe

Author Topic: Official NBA Thread  (Read 483108 times)

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official NBA Thread
« Reply #2941 on: August 20, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
Cheryl Miller highlights FIBA Hall class

Associated Press

GENEVA -- Cheryl Miller, Arvydas Sabonis and Vlade Divac will be inducted into the International Basketball Federation's Hall of Fame.

Seventeen players, coaches and officials will be inducted for their achievements at the Olympic Games, world championships and developing the global game, FIBA announced Friday.

The enshrinement ceremonies Sept. 12 in Istanbul include a presentation on court at the final of the men's world championship.

"The 2010 class has stardom, character and countless merits for the promotion of our game," FIBA president Bob Elphinston said in a statement. "The inductees were and still are brilliant on and off the court."

Miller won 1984 Olympic gold with the U.S., a world title two years later and is believed to be the first woman to dunk in a high school game. Miller won two NCAA championships at USC and later became head coach.

She also became coach and general manager of the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury. Miller, whose brother Reggie played for the Indiana Pacers, is a television commentator for NBA games.

She's joined in FIBA's 2010 Hall class by Lithuania-born Natalia Zassoulskaya, who helped the Russian federation team win the gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Sabonis and Divac were stars in Europe before joining NBA teams.

Sabonis won Olympic and world titles with the Soviet Union, then led his native Lithuania to two Olympic bronze medals.

He moved to the U.S. at 30, and had two stints with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Divac helped Yugoslavia win two world titles and two Olympic silvers, losing to Sabonis and the Soviet Union in 1988, and at the 1996 Atlanta Games to a United States Dream Team. He is president of Serbia's Olympic Committee.

He played in the NBA from 1989 to 2005, including twice with the Los Angeles Lakers. He had his No. 21 jersey retired by the Sacramento Kings.

Double Olympic record holder Oscar Schmidt is also being enshrined. The Brazilian is the top scorer in games history, amassing 1,093 points in a record five Olympic tournaments from 1980 to 1996.

Others to be inducted include Italy's four-time Olympian Dino Meneghin, and Serbian Dragan Kicanovic, a two-time European player of the year who won gold at the 1980 Olympics with Yugoslavia.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2943 on: August 21, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
Dwight Howard Has 'Amazing' Acting in Shanghai   
2010-08-20 15:05:16     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

NBA star Dwight Howard acts for the basketball-inspired film "Amazing" ("Shen Qi") in Shanghai on August 19, 2010. [Photo: CFP]

NBA star Dwight Howard has joined Chinese actors in a basketball-inspired film named "Amazing" ("Shen Qi") in Shanghai.

But instead of showing off his skills in a basketball court, the Orlando Magic center was seen acting against a green screen backdrop during a recent media visit to the set.

When asked how he felt about his China trip, Howard used "Amazing", the name of the movie to describe his experience.

Chinese acting stars, including Huang Xiaoming and Huang Yi, take the lead roles in the film about a group of basketball fanatics challenging themselves with the sport.

The film will feature several other NBA players in cameo roles. Yao Ming, Carmelo Anthony and the retired Earvin "Magic" Johnson will join in the movie.

The Shanghai Film Group Corporation and the NBA are co-producing the film, and are planning a 2011 release.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #2944 on: August 21, 2010, 02:17:15 PM »
^ curious about this and watching Howard run against Maurice Greene, incredible speed
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2945 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:06 AM »
Pau Gasol in india :thumbsup

Gasol follows up Howard to help grow basketball in India

By Official release
Posted Aug 19 2010 10:58AM

NEW YORK and DELHI, Aug. 19 -- Pau Gasol, a two-time National Basketball Association (NBA) champion and a three-time All-Star, will travel to Mumbai and Delhi from Aug. 23 to 28 to further the growth of basketball and the NBA in the world's second-largest nation. This is the first time a reigning NBA champion will travel to India to conduct events on the NBA's behalf.

The league is in the midst of hosting a record number of events in India this summer. Gasol, a member of the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers, is the second NBA superstar to visit India this month following Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard's visit to Bangalore and Delhi from Aug. 10 to 14.

"I have always wanted to visit India and I am very excited to represent the Lakers and the NBA in a country where basketball is on the rise," said Gasol. "As an international player in the NBA, I know how important it is to do my part to grow the game globally and would love to compete against a player from India in the NBA one day."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/19/gasol-india/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

And THE GLOVE has spoken :yep:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2946 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:33 AM »
Ron Artest changing jersey number to #15
By Marwan Marzina | August 20, 2010 | Ron Artest    29 comments

Interesting move he made.

Quote from: HoopsWorld
Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest, who has fittingly sported six different numbers throughout his career, is going back to his early roots and switching to #15. Artest wore #37 last year as a tribute to Michael Jackson and his hit album “Thriller” that was at the top of the charts for 37 straight weeks. Now he’ll be switching back to 15, which he wore in college at St. John’s and when he first came into the league.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2947 on: August 22, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »

My post #33,333 is dedicated to #33 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2948 on: August 22, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
CONGRATS HOMIE!!! :jphip:

CAPTAIN, OH CAPTAIN!! Lakers Legend Kareem is the greatest scorer of all time, One of the NBA's all time greatest centers!!!

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2949 on: August 22, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
Sorry, Masa, I believe you have him confused for someone else. His name is Roger Murdock, and he's the co-pilot.

ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2950 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
Delonte West suspended 10 games

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Free-agent guard Delonte West has been suspended without pay for 10 games after pleading guilty last month to weapons charges.

Maryland authorities said he was carrying two loaded handguns, a loaded shotgun and an 8½-inch Bowie knife while speeding on a three-wheel motorcycle on the Capital Beltway last September.

West played for the Cleveland Cavaliers last season. The Minnesota Timberwolves waived him Aug. 3 after acquiring West in a trade.

West received a home detention sentence that includes flexibility to travel to games. The league said Friday that if he signs with a team, his suspension would begin with the first game of the regular season for which he is eligible and physically able to play.

The 27-year-old West has averaged 9.9 points in six NBA seasons. He has battled bipolar disorder during his career.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2951 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:26 PM »
Report: J.R. Smith on trading block

ESPN.com news services

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith is on the trading block, according to an AOL FanHouse report.

Smith, a six-year veteran, is entering the last year of a contract that will pay him $6.03 million this season.

Though Smith has been mentioned in trade rumors before, a source told AOL FanHouse that the Nuggets' sudden willingness to move the shooter is tied to the team choosing not to renew the contract of vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien.

Warkentien has been one of Smith's largest supporters within the organization, the source said, having orchestrated the deal that brought Smith to Denver in 2006 via a trade with the Chicago Bulls.

Smith was runner-up for the 2008-09 Sixth Man Award but regressed last year, averaging 15.4 points per game on 41.4 percent shooting.

Smith has had issues in the past with Nuggets coach George Karl and was seen visibly sulking on the bench as the team was knocked out in the first-round of the NBA playoffs by the Utah Jazz this spring.

His brash behavior was also on display following a Game 4 loss to the Jazz, as Smith called out his teammates on Twitter saying, "You play selfish you lose selfish that's all I'm saying about the game!"

Smith is the latest Denver player to reportedly have a limited future with the team as sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher earlier this week that Carmelo Anthony will likely part ways with the franchise.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2954 on: August 23, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »
Nenad Krstic sweats aftermath of fight

Associated Press

BELGRADE, Serbia -- Oklahoma City Thunder center Nenad Krstic said Monday he fears he'll be suspended for the FIBA World Championship because of his role in a bench-clearing brawl during Serbia's game against Greece.

Krstic hit Greek player Yannis Bouroussis in the head with a chair in the fight that broke out during the Acropolis tournament last Thursday in Athens.

FIBA, the international basketball federation, said it will review the incident and announce possible sanctions by Wednesday.

"It's not killing me, but I can't say I'm not a bit nervous," Krstic said of a possible suspension. "What keeps me calm is that I no longer can do anything about it."

Krstic said earlier that he picked up the chair in self-defense after Greek fans and players rushed toward him.

The incident occurred before the Aug. 28-Sept. 12 basketball world championships in Turkey, where both teams will play.

Another Serbian player who could face sanctions, Milos Teodosic, said he was sorry about the incident.

"Sincerely, I'm ashamed about the fight, and I apologize to the people in Greece and Serbia," said Teodosic, who plays for Greek team Olympiakos.

Serbia coach Dusan Ivkovic said if Krstic and Teodosic are suspended, "We won't be able to make it through the group stage."

Serbia, the runner-up at the European championship last year, plays in Group A with Angola, Argentina, Australia, Germany and Jordan. Greece, second at the last worlds in 2006, is in Group C with China, Ivory Coast, Puerto Rico, Russia and Turkey.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2955 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
Spain's Jose Calderon to miss worlds

Associated Press

MADRID -- Spain point guard Jose Calderon will miss the basketball world championships after hurting his leg in an exhibition against the United States.

Tests Monday revealed the Toronto Raptors player tore a muscle in his left leg in Sunday's 86-85 loss. Calderon had headed to the locker room late in the game. He went scoreless with three assists.

The Spanish federation says Calderon needs four weeks to recover.

The 28-year-old was part of Spain's 2006 world champion team and won Olympic silver two years ago in Beijing.

Calderon says "there is not much to say. It's a pity I was injured at the last minute."

The world championships run from Aug. 28-Sep. 12 in Turkey.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2958 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:50 AM »
^ Stupid ESPN. Quit jumping on and off the bandwagon.

2010-11 Finals will look like this.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2959 on: August 28, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
LMFAO FISH!!!

:bow: :bow: