JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toe - Two Moons

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 999010 times)

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2860 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:52 AM »
Hey!

If you care, I started streaming over at hitbox. Just search thatonezombie and you can find my channel. I've been streaming out CS:GO and Hearthstone lately. Also, I play rap albums in the background as well. I don't have a schedule or anything, but if you are around and I'm on, feel free to check it out!

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2861 on: September 29, 2014, 10:02:34 AM »
I've been playing Steamworld Dig and it's such a nice fun little game. It's also the first game in forever I'm playing that can actually be finished (I think), so I'm all looking forward to beating a game. Unless it has a scary final boss, then I'd just run away screaming.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2862 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
"I could tell you the stories...but I won't"

"I don't have time to explain why I don't have to explain"

Just two choice lines from Destiny that pretty much sums up the story. My thoughts from the beta were not unfounded and lines like these are frankly embarrasing. I expected better from a game with such a huge budget. You have an informative companion by your side the whole time, but they can't tell you about the environment, scan enemies or items etc. You have all these NPC's at the Tower, but you can't talk to them, only trade. Anything interesting about the story is hidden away behind the game's website and not in the game itself. Doesn't that just sound crazy? I like this video, it sums it up pretty well.

Also having some great frustration with the rewards after competitive multiplayer. I like to think I'm doing ok, being the top player in my team every so often, with a good kill/death ratio and yet, I'm not getting rewarded. Today I got 31 kills and 6 deaths. A 5.17 K/D ratio. And I got nothing for it?  The guy who got 3 kills and 15 deaths can get a nice rare item though! It seems like the only way I can get rewarded at the end is to just play badly! Why am I being denied content for playing the game well? Makes no sense :lol:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2863 on: September 30, 2014, 04:58:40 AM »
^Maybe they think you're too good already. You should be glad they don't take away all your equipment and give you a wooden club. :cow:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2864 on: October 02, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I would be ok with that system, in fact if I knew that was the case I would be flattered by it! But no it's completely random who gets what, which makes it all the more frustrating, sadly.

Bit of a rant incoming, just need to get it off my chest. It's to do with #GamerGate...

What DID GamerGate expose exactly? That a female indie developer had relations with other men, particularly with a journalist over claims of one, non existent review for a game which people didn't play, have no interest in playing and not even any buyers remorse because the game is free? Nobody should be concerned over tabloid nonsense.

That developers and journalists talk to each other? Well how exactly do these people expect journalism works in any other industry? Did you ever see anyone seriously question Roger Ebert's integrity or draw up diagrams in MS Paint to show his list of sources and how they're connected? No, because getting inside contacts is how you get journalism and leads to news and stories!

What I do know, is that people on both sides of the argument have been harassed, doxxed and sent death threats which have forced creative people in the industry to resign and have a real fear of voicing an opinion lest they get the same treatment. Particularly if they're women (Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian, Jenni Frank..) Jesus, people very openly harrassed Dina Abou Karam, the community manager of Mighty No 9, for making fanart of the protaganist as a woman. How is that ever justifiable?

It's disgusting to see a lot of people devote time and resources into a movement born out of something so ugly and one in which nobody can come to an agreement on what it's about. Anti feminist? Ethics in journalism? Who knows? Ask anyone and they'll tell you their opinion, only to be told by many others that that's not what GamerGate is all about after all. The goalposts keep continually moving. Not everyone pro-GamerGate is like that, and some have legitimate questions over games journalism and that's great, people should absolutely have that debate. But for now, to associate yourself with GamerGate is to involve yourself in something so odious and you should really think about involving yourself with people who claim to represent your opinion when they themselves have their own agenda to persue, who also write click baiting articles and video descriptions and which, I'm gonna say, do not seem like good, positive people.

And yet nobody is giving the same amount of attention and introspection about real things that DO damage the industry. Like the fact that nobody really does seem to give a damn about reviews after all if Destiny can sell £500m in it's first week without a single review. Or that salaries in games development and game journalism are low paying and capitalise on people's enthusiasm for the industry to get away with it. Or that the publishers of Shadow of Mordor offered Youtuber's codes to the game in return for a paid branding deal. Or how real gun licensing in shooters can lead to profit for arms manufacturers.

But no it's wanting to promote equal opportunities that's destroying the industry apparently....

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #2865 on: October 04, 2014, 01:55:45 AM »
GamerGate = First World Problems at their very worst. :tama-mad:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2866 on: October 04, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »
^ Without a doubt. Which is why it's a shame that so much effort is put by many people into it and not actual concerns. Leigh Alexander, who has been a target for GamerGaters since her release of her article on the term and stereotype 'gamer' being irrelevant, has done something that I haven't seen any GamerGater do and actually put up a list of ethical concerns in the industry which makes for fascinating (and saddening) reading.

Much to everyone's surprise, none of the GamerGate spokesmen have yet to comment on any of it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2867 on: October 05, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »
I finished Season 2 of The Walking Dead there now...

*SEASON 2 ENDING SPOILERS!!!*

And I didn't shoot Kenny. Come on, you had doubts about Jane most of the time, she already left the group, was going to let Sarah die multiple times. I thought she was coming round in Episode 5 but when she made it seem like she killed AJ, I believed she would have done it. Looking back I can see she was trying to tell Clem not to be involved, but I was so shocked/angered at that point it went by me. Kenny was in a darker place in S2 and yes throughout the series he's been prone to go off the handle, but it's always with his family or Clementine in mind. I felt vindicated when AJ was alive after all, as it just revealed that Jane was manipulating me to side along with her. Crazy.

Just like in S1, the ending left me in a goddamn mess. Kenny more than redeemed himself as he asked Clem and AJ to stay. It was a hard choice, but I couldn't leave him. S2 was about the importance of family, the loss of it and the desperate need to keep it in this hellish world and Clem and Kenny both needed each other. Having watched the other ending, I would have felt pretty annoyed if I had got that. More suspicion, more pessimissm. At least the other one is fairly uplifting.

Great game. Gameplay is still just functional for you to get through it and PS3 version continues to have weird tech issues like lines of dialogue cutting out. I felt S2 didn't seem to handle some choices as well as seen back in S1 (there's multiple cases of the same scenario playing out just with different dialogue like either waiting to let Rebecca recover or moving on), but on the whole, it was still a fantastic story worth playing through with some really tough decisions to make that rivalled anything in S1. Most often it's high points, the decisions and actions that will live long in the memory, are often it's most devastating lows. Kudos to you Telltale.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2868 on: October 08, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
Ni No Kuni is now suffering the same fate that every JRPG does. Not knowing when to stop. The game could have easily ended twice at this point, yet it keeps on going. I wouldn't mind if we're off to new places on new things, but instead it's going back to previous locations and fighting the same bosses I fought earlier in the game, but just tougher versions. Feels like unneeded padding.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2869 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Back in 2010 I started Deadly Premonition, but only played the prologue and then stopped (I don't remember why).
Last week I picked it up again and man it's sooooo soooo good XD

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2870 on: October 13, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »
Made the decision to play Metroid Prime 3, finally. Odd how I had it in my possession for a long time and yet, even though Metroid Prime is one of my favourite games of all time, I didn't play this one.  I'm glad I am, the gameplay is instantly familiar along with some gimmicky Wii motion controls like engaging or disengaging locks. It's also just as atmospheric and well designed so far like it's predecessors. Bryyo has some gorgeous vistas, I'm looking forward to seeing the other planets. As to be expected, the soundtrack is also amazing. The weirdest thing about it so far is how much dialogue there is. Both 1 and 2 had next to zero dialogue and I'd be tempted to say that the first few hours of MP3 has more dialogue than 1 & 2 combined. To see all these new characters talk is weird considering you've been by yourself most of the time. Not really sure if I like the designs of the other Hunters, they look like they could go straight into a Ben 10 episode :lol: A minor flaw though, as so far MP3 is great. Makes me want an HD Wii U Metroid game so bad.

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #2871 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
I got Final Fantasy XIII on Steam. Downloading it all over several days was a pain in the ass, but it's a beautiful game and very relaxing to play. I already like it better than XII.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2872 on: October 15, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
^ You monster. Better than XII? Are you for real? *shakes head* XD

Well that's the magic of the FF series right? Each game can wildly vary and appeal differently to people. I love XII, it's one of my favourites of the series. I hate IX. Many people will agree or disagree and that's cool, I can see why others would like or dislike certain FF games. It's why the series is so interesting, there is no game which people can universally agree is the best in the series, partly because there's been so many great ones.

Played a bout of Destiny Multiplayer earlier. 35 kills. 3 deaths. 11.65 K/D ratio. Nobody even came close.

I got nothing, but the guy in second place? He got an exotic weapon. One of the rarest weapons in the whole game, which would usually take hours of grinding to even get a chance of getting it. But no, this guy was given it just for being second.

Look I know the reward distribution is random, I've played enough of the game to be aware of that and I still enjoy the multiplayer despite that but, well.....fuck if that isn't the most frustrating thing. Remember when games rewarded you for playing it well?

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2873 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »

Well that's the magic of the FF series right? Each game can wildly vary and appeal differently to people. I love XII, it's one of my favourites of the series. I hate IX. Many people will agree or disagree and that's cool, I can see why others would like or dislike certain FF games. It's why the series is so interesting, there is no game which people can universally agree is the best in the series, partly because there's been so many great ones.
Still think 12 should have been to one that gets the pc port  :P
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2874 on: October 18, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
I got nothing, but the guy in second place? He got an exotic weapon. One of the rarest weapons in the whole game, which would usually take hours of grinding to even get a chance of getting it. But no, this guy was given it just for being second.

Why would you get it? You're ace without a super-uber-mega weapon and the game knows that! The other guy needs it more XD j/k

Really dig that song and the look, too bad it's only coming for PC/Mac.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2875 on: October 18, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »

Still think 12 should have been to one that gets the pc port  :P

Holding out hope for a FF12 HD remake someday!!

The GamerGate debacle has steadily becoming even worse. Anita Sarkeesian was due to make a speech at a University, only to cancel it out of numerous death threats being sent in (with one claiming to do with GamerGate). A female developer was forced out of her home with death threats after poking some fun at GamerGate on twitter. GamerGate has even made it to the front page of the New York Times. It's getting ugly. Big sites liked Eurogamer, Giant Bomb and Polygon have since come out recently to make their stance known and I suggest others go to read their editorials as they make for some good reading.

I can't get over that on numerous occassions, the most vocal people in GamerGate, the likes of InternetAristocrat, Thunderfoot, MundaneMatt, Sargon, KingOfPol, Milo, Adam Baldwin (sadly Firefly will never be the same with me now after learning what a terrible man he is), they all have an opportunity to rise above and call out the dickheads making the death threats, make GamerGate a more legitimate cause, stamp out the bullshit, call for calm...but they don't. The reply is just "Oh yeh, but WHERE'S THE PROOF?!", belittling the victims of the threats and carrying on as normal.

Know what's interesting though? Nero wrote articles earlier this year criticising gamers and the gamer identity. Their inadequacy to attract women, their "yellowing underwear" as they play games. He even self confessed to never even playing a game, ever, until a few weeks ago yet still saw fit to condemn the gamer identity a few months ago. This is also the same man with a history of writing sexist, racist and transphobic articles (his recent article about Emma Watson's UN speech was something else)

But it shows you what an absolute goddamn mess GamerGate is in when they accept him without hesitation as one of their leaders because he has some inside contacts which others don't. It's a shame that they can't see him for what he is, a journalist manipulating a demographic to generate views for his politically charged click bait articles. Conveniently, everything GamerGate wants to get read of in games journalism. They also don't want this association of a movement of sexists? They're not doing a good job if they're accepting him so freely. I keep seeing GamerGate proclaim that the gaming journalism scene is too cosy, demanding that someone come in who isn't tied to the industry in some way and apply a critical voice. So in that respect, Anita Sarkeesian should be their hero because that's exactly what she's doing!

If anyone is reading this and considers themselves 'pro-GamerGate' just know this. Milo, Adam Baldwin, InternetAristocrat, Sargon, King of Pol, Thunderfoot.... These are not good people. Don't associate yourself with a movement where these are your most outspoken members. Don't associate yourself with a movement that was started because a jaded ex thought it was a good idea to get back at her by publishing some scandalous half truths and lies online which have since been debunked. Don't follow a movement where these lies are accepted so readily without hesitation. Don't follow a movement that claims to be about improving the ethics of game journalism standards, but then follows up that sentence with words like 'sluts' or 'whores'. Don't follow a movement that claims to be targeted at the games press, but which started with an attack on a female game developer and continues to do so towards other developers for having an opinion. Don't follow a movement that aims to silence any critics or for anyone with a differing opinion and has made it a scary place to be for men and women working in the industry and are now afraid to let their opinion be known. Last of all, certainly don't associate with a movement that is decried by most gaming journalism sites, the BBC, NY Times, Washington Post, MSNBC, CNN but isis supported by Infowars and Alex goddamn Jones. Yes, that's how weird this shit has become.

You can absolutely want a more transparent press, that is an admirable aim, but GamerGate is going after the wrong targets. Indie developers pose little influence on the industry. Where is the outcry as AAA publishers literally buy favorable press for them, as has been noted during GamerGate's time? That's right, there was no followup, just more attacks on small fish and aiming to censor sites through email campaigns at advertisers to pull their funding for sites which have a different opinion. Not only is GamerGate's motives scattershot and unfocused but it's also a movement born out of and continues to be, steeped in misogyny. Want proof?  This is a great link on how some of GamerGates most vocal voices have been targeting Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian for over two and a half years, before GamerGate was ever conceived. It's almost as if they don't like women! *gasp* Just be aware of this when you use the GamerGate tag, that this association does come with it. To deny otherwise is being ignorant, out of being uneducated or by choice.

Because you know what? I can find fault with Anita Sarkeesian's videos and I personally disagree with her views on some things like Bayonetta's character. But hey look! I'm not harrassing her, sending death threats or acting like a complete moron! People should absolutely be free to criticise something and others should definitely respect that right in return and not treat them back in such a vile way. Surely that's not too hard?  "It's about ethics" remains the GamerGate mantra. Laughable when you consider the crimes and abuse that is taking place in their name.

The one thing that Gamergate has achieved is made me stop considering myself as a 'gamer', simply because they're making that label so toxic. I'm now someone who plays games. Also worth keeping in mind that abuse, harrassment, doxxing and death threats are happening on both "sides" of the argument. Why? Because video games. How sad is that?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:39:24 PM by Tuffty »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2876 on: October 19, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
I've been following the GamerGate thing way too much in all its craziness, and it's really pathetic how predictable these guys are, too. Whenever someone asks for proof about false claims in Anita's videos they mention the one bit of Hitman where she forgets to mention that some specific incident of violence doesn't necessarily happen, but is only a possibility. One mistake out of several dozen examples and that's supposed to make all of Anita's points invalid? That one mistake undos all the other clips and game examples? It's absolutely ridiculous. I can't take these people seriously at all. I saw some guy spamming a link saying "more information about Anita Sarkeesian" and the url started with "avoiceformen.com" GUESS IF I CLICKED IT OR NOT. lol like that URL is enough to tell me whom this site is made for and what the content is going to be.

I absolutely don't believe that anyone is seriously supporting GamerGate because they are worried about ethics in game journalism. The only time I see people starting conversations on this are in the comment sections of articles that are anti-GamerGate and/or pro-Anita or simply news about the topic. Why? Because it's only something they use in an attempt to divert from the ugly reality of GamerGate. It's nothing more than a diversion. I've yet to see a single article that purely talks about the problems of game journalism without bringing up GamerGate, Anita, Zoey, etc. Why? Because it's not really an issue that anyone IS taking seriously, it's only an excuse to keep the tag line going and keep the hate fuming. The issues are real; gaming companies, especially big ones, do expect favours from game reviewers and they do give them free stuff and it is all corrupt. People have got fired from their jobs for reviewing a game honestly. But for GamerGate it is only a diversion and an excuse. People who ARE really concerned about it should start an entirely new movement that is completely removed from GamerGate. Why don't they? Because they AREN'T really worried about it; they're worried about GamerGate's image, and their own image. Not the ethics.

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2877 on: October 23, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2878 on: October 24, 2014, 06:01:20 AM »
Well....another victim of GamerGate. This time: Felicia Day. Tried to stay silent through this whole debacle. As soon as she posted her fears on GamerGate on tumblr, she got doxxed.  :smhid

Now I'm reconsidering whether to call myself a gamer or not.

Fuck GamerGate and those who use it as an excuse to victimize other people.  :thumbdown:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2879 on: October 24, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
In better news, here are my videos of leap of faith!

Context: There's a daily repeatable quest in Lord of the Rings Online's Rohan where you jump your way up to the top of a beacon. Now this area is generally laggy because Rohan is huge and detailed, and when I first tried this quest I thought it was impossibly hard as Lotro is far from a platform hopping game. Lots of falling down happened. When I did get on top, I decided to celebrate it with a hop down and record it while I was at it. The first attempts were kinda lame, but oh well! Of course, by the last video I had become much better at getting up there :D , but hopping down was still fun, so why not...

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toe - Two Moons