JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sistar - Give It To Me

Author Topic: Filmmaker John Hughes Dies at 59 of a Heart Attack  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Filmmaker John Hughes Dies at 59 of a Heart Attack
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »
Filmmaker John Hughes Dies at 59 of a Heart Attack

Another '80s icon is gone. John Hughes, the writer and director remembered best for churning out classic teen movies such as The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, as well as the scripts for others, including Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, National Lampoon's Vacation, Home Alone, and Miracle on 34th Street, suffered a lethal heart attack this morning while taking a walk in New York City. He was only 59. For those of us who grew up in the '80s, Hughes was a legend, perhaps one of the first filmmakers we knew of by name and could associate with a certain brand of movie.

Though he'll forever be pegged to the teen genre, he was more generally an expert in film comedy, having scripted such favorites as Mr. Mom and National Lampoon's Vacation prior to his debut as a director with Sixteen Candles. After cementing himself as the teen-movie master he also helmed non-teen comedies like Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Uncle Buck and later stuck primarily to writing younger-targeted fare like Home Alone, Beethoven and Baby's Day Out. It's mostly when another high school-set film is made even nowadays that we still think of Hughes and use his work as a ruler with which to measure the genre by.

Hughes dropped out of directing in 1991, although he still produced and wrote scripts up until 1998. He will most certainly be remembered forever for all of the many great movies that he brought us over the years.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/06/filmmaker-john-hughes-dies-at-59-of-a-heart-attack/

R.I.P.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
Re: Filmmaker John Hughes Dies at 59 of a Heart Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
Damn, Weird Science was epic and one of the first films I can actually ever remember seeing. :(

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:47 AM »
He made so many of my favorite movies. Definitely one of the most talented filmmakers. Period.

R.I.P, Man.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:08:22 AM »
wow. only 59. RIP. Breakfast Club is on al the time

16 Candles lol "I Can't Believe I Gave My Panties to a Geek" scene was classic, man Molly Ringwald shoulda been a star.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sistar - Give It To Me