JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Kimi to Boku to Modokashii Kyori

Author Topic: The Official Rap Thread  (Read 669781 times)

Offline aKaoNi

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Official Rap Thread
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2007, 04:44:47 PM »
^ Yeah wonder how it's gon turn out, as for blue magic if ya'll haven't already checked it out:

Jay Z ft Pharrell - Blue Magic (right click and save)

Listening to it a couple times, it's definitely not commercial Jay, I wouldn't call it Reasonable Doubt Jay neither. I know they tryna do a more street jay but I think the beat coulda been harder than that, to me it doesn't have that hard street feel to it like a Grinding beat or What happened to that boy type beat that Pharrell can lace. Maybe if I listen to it more it'll grow on me. As for now I think it's iight, lyrics didn't impress me much.

Saw Mocha posted the Lupe Superstar track, dunno if ya'll heard his Dumb it Down track, he straight kills the track lyrically:

Lupe Fiasco - Dumb It Down (right click and save)

Offline Jsmurf

• BUKKAKE!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
lol, didn't 50 say he was going to quit or retire if kanye outsold him?
:shakeit:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #422 on: October 01, 2007, 06:53:22 AM »
REUNITED (Scratch magazine)

FOR RZA, ENTERING the Wu-Tang Clan's fifth chamber has been tougher than Chinese arithmetic. Ever since the iconic supergroup dropped their fourth disc, Iron Flag, in 2001, varying degrees of drama-ranging from Ol' Dirty's death in '04 to Ghostface's hesitancy to lay vocals-delayed Wu's long-awaited comeback. Despite their differences, the Clan once again formed like Voltron to work on 8 Diagrams, a disc chock full of Ghostface verses, kung fu samples and even a new "torture" skit. Not since "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'" has the Clan held such a carefully guarded secret. The Abbot sheds light.

"LIFE CHANGES" PRODUCED BY RZA
That's a song that we dedicated to ODB. I put together an old Freda Payne sample and classic Wu-sounding drums. We originally started it for Dirty's album that never came out. Each Clan member says eight bars a piece to Dirty. It starts off with Method Man, and he has this one line that I love: "Ol' Dirty, in your honor/I've grown a fetish for loose women and baby mamas."

"YOU CAN'T STOP ME NOW" PRODUCED BY RZA
It sounds like a black western. I had John Frusciante [of Red Hot Chili Peppers] play lead guitar. The sample we played over comes from an old song, "Message to the Black Man." There's been many versions, but we referenced a reggae one. I rap on this, and I'm talking about how I started off as a smalltime hustler, but kept going, amidst death threats. To fight depression, I would make beats that became songs, which became hits. Then, Rebel INS and Ghostface come on.

"THUG WORLD" PRODUCED BY RZA
That's just hardcore, ghetto. [System of a Down member] Shavo Odadjian's bass-playing is crazy on this. The beat is just fuckin' wild cowboy-style. Deck sets it off, Raekwon and myself have ill verses on it, and U-God comes in. I'd compare the beat's energy to "Method Man."

"WATCH YOUR MOUTH" PRODUCED BY DJ SCRATCH, CO-PRODUCED BY RZA
This is potentially the first single. Scratch came in with some beats he had made with Wu-Tang in mind. But for this album, I've been using instrumentation, so I added those elements to Scratch's beat. Every Clan member threw a verse on it. It's a throwback to "Protect Ya Neck," with that same impulse. The original title was "You Better Watch Your Muthafuckin' Mouth," but that wouldn't work for radio.

"TITLE TBD" PRODUCED BY RZA
I love The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I've always been warned not to sample Beatles songs because you can't clear them, but I wanted to take a chance. I had a mutual friend link me with Dhani Harrison, George's son, who just happens to be a huge Wu fan. I thought, imagine if George Harrison's son played on a new version of his father's song. Meth, Rae, and Ghost are on it, each [offering] a different perspective [on] the dope game. The Beatles meets Wu-Tang, on a song about drugs? That's incredible.

"WOLVES" PRODUCED BY RZA
There's Method Man, Masta Killa and U-God. The way U-God sets this fuckin' record off...he's underated, but he won't be after this album. He's as powerful on this song as "Raw I'ma give it to ya, with no trivia" [from "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'"]. The beat has a vocal sample for pulse, and I used a multi-layered clap snare. I played guitar myself on it, and DJ Mathematics scratched some ODB vocals. DJ Scratch's brother is a trumpet player, and he plays a line I wrote.

"TAKE IT BACK" PRODUCED BY EASY MO BEE, CO-PRODUCED BY RZA
I had to make a confession to Mo-he's the first person I ever saw with an SP-1200. He produced the B-side to my first single, "Ohh, We Love You Rakeem," as well as GZA's [Words from the Genius]. He's the one who inspired me to get an SP-1200; he helped me become a producer. At first, he just played drums on "Campfire" [another 8 Diagrams track], but then he played me a beat, and I had the Clan rip it up, talking about what's missing in the game today-the heart.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

^ Yeah wonder how it's gon turn out, as for blue magic if ya'll haven't already checked it out:

Jay Z ft Pharrell - Blue Magic (right click and save)

Listening to it a couple times, it's definitely not commercial Jay, I wouldn't call it Reasonable Doubt Jay neither. I know they tryna do a more street jay but I think the beat coulda been harder than that, to me it doesn't have that hard street feel to it like a Grinding beat or What happened to that boy type beat that Pharrell can lace. Maybe if I listen to it more it'll grow on me. As for now I think it's iight, lyrics didn't impress me much.
Jay's rapping sounds nice (and way better than on KC) but the beat is average as hell. To be honest I'm not a big fan of The Neptunes' street beats, Pharrell should have given Jay another smooth beat like "Allure". Anyways I'm still excited about the album  :yep:

Saw Mocha posted the Lupe Superstar track, dunno if ya'll heard his Dumb it Down track, he straight kills the track lyrically:

Lupe Fiasco - Dumb It Down (right click and save)
Dopeness  :thumbsup

Offline AzN_DreaMerS

• Clone of ""
  • ecchi
  • Clone
« Reply #423 on: October 02, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »

01. Good Morning (Intro)
02. Champion
03. Stronger
04. I Wonder
05. Good Life (Ft. T-Pain)
06. Can't Tell Me Nothing
07. Barry Bonds (Ft. Lil Wayne)
08. Drunk And Hot Girls (Ft. Mos Def)
09. Flashing Lights (Ft. Dwele)
10. Everything I Am
11. The Glory
12. Homecoming (Ft. Chris Martin)
13. Big Brother

Download (Group rip by OSC):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rhyg1z

someone can reupload it please ?

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
Wu-Tang Clan's 8 Diagrams gets new release date
The long-awaited, much anticipated 8 Diagrams album from the Wu-Tang Clan will be coming out on December 4. The original release date for 8 Diagrams was November 13.

http://www.hiphopgame.com/news.php3?id=1917

Loud.com Exclusive Wu-Tang Clan Release
Loud / SRC Records’s own Wu-Tang Clan have released their official debut single, “The Heart Gently Weeps” featuring Erykah Badu, exclusively on Loud.com. Yea, that’s right, you can’t hear it anywhere else! The track will be featured on their upcoming album, The 8 Diagrams, in stores December 4, 2007. The album will be their first in 6 years and promises to be another classic from the Wu!
So check out the track and play it over and over. Spread the word the Wu is back and only on Loud.com! It just ain't cool to keep something so good to yourself - that's why we're sharing it with you!

Wu-Tang Clan - The Heart Gently Weeps
http://sharebee.com/7f9b34bb

Great song, I'm feeling "The Heart Gently Weeps" more than "Watch Your Mouth". Meth and Ghost both deliver ill verses and the concept of the song is great too. The song would be perfect if Rae didn't sound like he was half asleep  :banghead:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:54:19 AM by Masa »

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2007, 06:17:46 AM »
i'm not really feeling rae's lazy sleepy style on these past 2 tracks...

----

Listening to Mash's Revenge on the BBall Zombie war soundtrack makes me want a DillaDoom collabo album.  RIP Jay Dee.
word.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #426 on: October 09, 2007, 03:58:39 AM »
Forgot all about the Hip-Hop Honors being shown on VH1 tonight.
I'll catch it when they rerun it.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »
Jay-Z - Roc Boys (And The Winner Is)
http://sharebee.com/8c4f02da

Definitely one of the best Jay-Z songs since The Black Album  :shocked:

Listening to Mash's Revenge on the BBall Zombie war soundtrack makes me want a DillaDoom collabo album.  RIP Jay Dee.
Word, those both Dilla tracks are straight fire. I would love to hear Doom rapping over Dilla's Donuts  :yep:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:19:48 AM by Masa »

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #428 on: October 17, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
Love the new Wu-Tang songs, Masa! I got them playing all the time now!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #429 on: October 19, 2007, 01:47:30 PM »

RZA Talks New Wu-Tang Album, 15th Anniversary

LWMB: You’ve done a lot of projects outside of Wu-Tang Clan, including acting, scoring soundtracks and writing a book. What’s the last six years been like for you and how do you feel about the 15th anniversary of the release of 36 Chambers?

RZA: It’s been good, but something has been missing. The chance to come again with the Wu and do what we’re made to do is like a fulfillment to me. Yeah, it’s crazy, yo. It doesn’t feel like [15 years] because I always feel like I never accomplish anything. I’m not sure what kind of disease that is but I feel like I haven’t done what I’m supposed to do yet in this world.

It must be difficult to gather all of the members into one place to work on tracks. How did you approach the album from a production perspective?

I took the movie approach: pre-production, then principle photography and then postproduction, which was editing and all that. We took April to get back in synch with each other and vibe. The second 30 days took place in June when we got more detailed into the recording.

What’s the significance of the album’s title, 8 Diagrams?

We’re always about mathematics and the name has a couple of different concepts to it. The first and primary thing that inspired the name is a film called The Invincible Pole Fighters. When they dubbed it into English, they changed the title to The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter because there’s a scene where a guy in a fighting sequence forms the sign of the I-Ching, the 8 diagrams. That movie had a great sense of loyalty and brotherhood, dedication and commitment, and it’s a good movie. It inspired me when I first formed Wu-Tang Clan in the 1990’s—eight brothers who battled and had to keep the tradition alive. I always talked about paying homage to that movie over the years, and I finally got a chance to do it.

I liked “Take It Back” a lot. I understand [hip-hop production icon] Easy Mo Bee worked on it with you.

Before I became good at making beats, I had a few machines at my house, like a Casio RD1, 909 drum machine and a four-track recorder. I didn’t have a good sampler like an SP1200; besides, I didn’t really know what they were or how to use them. I went to Easy Mo Bee’s house back in the day when he was working on the GZA’s first album and he had two SP1200s, and he was making all of these great beats. I couldn’t believe that machine sounded so incredible and it inspired me to get one. I made Bring the Pain on my SP1200, so I have to thank him. He produced the GZA and my first single, "Oh We Love You Rakeem" and the B-side “Sexcapades”—he’s like the first producer for Wu-Tang. So I got the chance to hook up with him on this new album and got to kick it with him. For me to go and collaborate with him was an honor and a privilege. He came down to the studio, played a lot of beats and this one was up our alley with that real New York feel. We took a shot at it; he put the beat together but I added a few things and gave him some direction and there it is. It’s the second collaboration.

I’m sure it was difficult to address ODB’s death on “Life Changes.” Was that a hard song to put down?

We dedicated that song to ODB and it took me a long time—about eight months—to make that song. It was an emotional thing to get every member to get their take on it. It was one of the first songs I recorded for the new album. When we decided to do a new Wu-Tang album, this song was on top of the stack.

LWMB: It’s been six years since the Clan released an album. Do you worry how fitting in with all of the young bucks?

RZA: Hey, they need to figure out how they fit in. Wu-Tang is like a cornerstone of hip-hop. One difference between us and new artists is that a lot of them have learned him-hop from watching TV and videos. Wu-tang lived hip-hop, and we’re the ones who helped pioneer it; we’re not the bottled water—we’re the source they get the water from.

The first single is “My People Gently Weep,” which features George Harrison’s son, Dahni. How did that track come about?

That’s a take on "My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it’s a metaphor. I’ve been studying about rock ‘n’ roll lately. I’ve been hanging around my buddy Shavo [Odadjian] from System of A Down, and he’s turned me onto a lot of classic rock and metal. I’ve learned that a lot of guitar players were stuck on heroin and a lot of needles were involved in the music. To me, the vein is like a guitar string, and I wanted to say how the pain of drugs causes so much pain inside: the user, the family and the dealer because of the sins he’s making and the lives he’s destroying. I wanted to capture that idea and went to the Clan and said I wanted to write a song about dope.

So how did you meet Dhani?

A mutual friend is a great music executive, Mo Austin. His son, Mike, is the president of Dreamworks. I’ve been friends with Mike for about ten years. I was at his house one day talking about that song [“My Guitar Gently Weeps “] and how I wanted to record it and make it a song. He said it was one of his favorite Beatles songs and George Harrison actually wrote it. He told me the back story about the song and how Eric Clapton played lead guitar…now I was fascinated by the history of the song!

Mike is a friend of the Harrison family and it turned out he was a fan of mine. I was like, “Get outta here!” He put us on the phone together and hit it off. We wound up having a few dinners in California, and I asked him to play on the record. I got a 1961 Gretsch and that was the weapon on that song. I think a piece of history was captured.

I heard 9 snippets from 8 Diagrams. What else is on the album?

“The Gun Will Go” has a unique vibe that has a haunting guitar vibe with Raekown and Method Man with some of their most menacing voices. “No Matter How Hard the Time May Seem” is a flashback to the classic Raekwon/Ghostface collaborations and has a great sample from Michael Jackson featuring Inspectach Deck tearing it up. It almost sounds like it could be a Cuban Linx track. There’s “Campfire” where Method Man and Ghostface goes back-to-back with Cappadonna with an old Persuassions vocal sample.

Do you get to Staten Island much these days?

Not much. I have good friends and family there. I don’t go back often—maybe five or five times a year. It’s a crazy place.

What’s your greatest hope for the album?

I have hope that Wu-Tang will help bring back some kind of balance to hip-hop. I know there’s a lot of cookie-cutter music out there and lots of angles, but we’re the difference between brown weed and green weed. Our job is to add some balance to hip-hop and continue our legacy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 01:47:58 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2007, 06:31:36 AM »
Wu-Tang Clan - The Heart Gently Weeps single
Sendspace

Wu-Tang Clan - Take It Back
Sharebee

Jay-Z - American Gangster snippets
listen
download

Offline num2son

• Member+
  • Nice to be Important but more Important to be Nice
« Reply #431 on: October 29, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
Thanks alot Masa

Designed by Miichan

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #432 on: October 30, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
hey Masa, when's the new American Gangster album coming out? I like tog et it! :)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #433 on: October 30, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »
hey Masa, when's the new American Gangster album coming out? I like tog et it! :)

Jay-Z - American Gangster (128bit version)

Sendspace

Jigga is back! Fallin' might be the song of the year and overall the album is really consistent, especially production wise. American Gangster is way better than Kingdom Come and eventually it might end up being my 3rd favorite Jigga album. Right now the only song I'm not feeling is Hello Brooklyn which doesn't really blend in with the album's soulful production. My favorite songs at the moment are Fallin', Say Hello, Pray, Success and Ignorant Shit. Even though Ignorant Shit is an old song (it was originally made for The Black Album), it doesn't sound out of place at all. The new third verse by Jay is on point and Beans sounds pretty good as well. The 2nd Jay/Nas collabo doesn't disappoint either. Success might not be as dope as Black Republican but it's still a great song and both Jay and Nas kill the song. Anyways American Gangster is one great album and definitely one of the best rap albums of the year  :yep:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:55:25 PM by Masa »

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #434 on: October 30, 2007, 09:54:20 PM »
^ Thanks Masa you are MY MAN! :)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2007, 05:37:58 AM »
Props Masa :thumbsup -butt gotta listen to it after I watch the movie. I gotta admit, his hooks on Kanye's Graduation was DOPE. HUSTLAZ that's if ya still living GET ON DOWN....GET ON DOWN!  :pimp:

AND The Gently WEEPS single. SHIT....Dec 11 can't cum soon enuff.  :yep:

although funny I can still skip Drunk and Hot girls.  Never was a fan of Can't Tell Me Nothing either.  Really feeling I Wonder and Flashing Lights tho.

HAHAHA Drunk hot girls reminded me of hanging out with johnbobman, we just running into ho after ho. I liked "Wonder" ... Kanye's album tho most popular, is the most refreshing of all shit that's come out lately. I still like his Throw Some D's remix.

REUNITED (Scratch magazine)

FOR RZA, ENTERING the Wu-Tang Clan's fifth chamber has been tougher than Chinese arithmetic. Ever since the iconic supergroup dropped their fourth disc, Iron Flag, in 2001, varying degrees of drama-ranging from Ol' Dirty's death in '04 to Ghostface's hesitancy to lay vocals-delayed Wu's long-awaited comeback. Despite their differences, the Clan once again formed like Voltron to work on 8 Diagrams, a disc chock full of Ghostface verses, kung fu samples and even a new "torture" skit. Not since "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'" has the Clan held such a carefully guarded secret. The Abbot sheds light.

EPIC ARTICLE!!!   :twisted:

Check out this article:

The Wu-Tang Clan's Abbot was in New York last week helping to promote his "American Gangster" movie. That's right: Common and T.I. were advertised more heavily, but the RZA plays a pretty substantial part in the flick. He's part of the po-po team lead by Russell Crowe. He did his thing, too.

OK, enough of that — we'll get to RZA's Hollywood endeavors next time. But if you love the Wu like we do, you most definitely were disappointed by the latest airing of family business. Last week Ghostface Killah told us he's hotter than leftover Chinese food straight out of the microwave.

Why? He alleges that he isn't getting his fair share of the cake from the Clan's stint on the recent Rock the Bells summer tour. In addition, the Clan's 8 Diagrams LP was pushed back from a tentative fall release date to December 4, the same day as Ghost's solo effort, The Big Dough Rehab. He pointed the finger at the Clan's "hierarchy," and we all know who that is.

"The blame can't fall on me like that," RZA said about the dueling release dates. "Wu-Tang Clan is a bunch of brothers working on one common cause. ... We planned to put that record out in September, then October, and it kept getting pushed because it's just a lot of work, yo. ... I wasn't really conscious [Ghost] was dropping an album on December 4th, but yesterday we moved our [group] record from the 4th to the 11th. We gave that spot to Ghostface ... because of how he felt. ... I had to make that call. [SRC label head] Steve Rifkind also, he was getting bashed up by Ghost [in the Mixtape Monday interview]. So ... we moved.

"We didn't have him move, we moved," RZA continued. "I think that shows the kind of bigger men we could be. Ghost is my brother, I love him to death. But we're in this business, and it's hard to kind of discern what's right and what's wrong. ... But I will say that, when it comes to a Wu-Tang Clan album, I plan on making it a 60-, 90-day type of schedule. ... It turned out to be a 200-day schedule ... and I didn't want to wait until next year [to put out 8 Diagrams].

"But Ghostface, we moved it to the 11th. You got that 4th. Do your thing right then, double up [the] next week, make mad cream this year, family."

Mixtape Monday extra: Check out RZA's special message to Ghostface.
http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/mixtape_monday/102207/

Heads up Canadian Rap fans. Mef is on tour, I'm going November 10th.

http://www.methodmantour.com/tickets.html

Any word on Kardinal's new shit?? It's the end of October and nothing? Just some BET AWards:
http://www.bet.com/onblast/?chan=23&id=1223&itype=e

digging this:

Fat Joe feat. Lil Wayne..."THE CRACK HOUSE" (Fiddy dis)
[youtube=425,350]HvzeROvLwao[/youtube]
I dun get why Lil Wayne is all over the place lol

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
I thought she was in jail.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »
Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams tracklist
1. Campfire
2. Take It Back
3. Get Them Out Ya Way Pa
4. Face The Problems
5. The Heart Gently Weeps
6. Wolves
7. Gun Will Go
8. Sunlight
9. Stick Me For My Riches
10. Windmill
11. Starter
12. Weak Spot
13. Life Changes
14. Tar Pit feat George Clinton
15. 16th Chamber (ODB Special)

It's been 14 years since the Wu-Tang Clan took hip hop by the scruff of the neck and kicked new life into a stagnating genre. They arrived just as the first flush of gangsta superstars had helped shift rap's centre of gravity from its New York birthplace to the barbecues, swap-meets and low rider cars of sun-kissed Los Angeles, a whole continent distant, and temperamentally half a world away.
Recruiting from their army of friends and relatives, they assembled a rap supergroup: Clifford "Method Man" Smith, Russell "Ol' Dirty Bastard" Jones, Corey "Raekwon" Woods, Dennis "Ghostface Killah" Coles, Jason "Inspectah Deck" Hunter, Lamont "U-God" Hawkins Elgin "Masta Killa" Turner. They were nine emcees, each with a distinctive style and flow. They would record, first, as a group, which would announce each as an individual the personalities established, each would release their own records, play their own shows, carve their own niche in the pop culture edifice.Cut to 2007, freshly signed to Bodog Music in Europe the eight emcees have got a rumble in their collective belly once again. RZA is back in charge "I'm in year three of my new five-year plan," he grins and the Clan are back in the studio.

And the line-up is as stellar and eclectic as one might have hoped for: as well as long-time collaborator Mathematics, RZA has been working with Q-Tip, Easy Mo Be,  hip hop pioneer Marley Marl, EPMD's DJ Scratch, and, in a real departure, the legendary Chic mastermind Nile Rogers.  The reliance on samples will be alleviated, too, by RZA's preference of working with two bands - Stone Mecca and Sound Guild, who are providing a mixture of improvised sounds to RZA's beat skeletons, and playing music the WU leader has written and scored for them. Other guests include Red Hot Chili Peppers guitar legend John Frusciante, System of a Down's bassist Shavo Odadjian, Erykah Badu (vocal on The Heart Gently Weeps) and Dhani Harrison, the son of the late Beatle, George. The Ol Dirty Bastard tribute ‘16th Chamber’ is one of two special edition bonus tracks featuring new lyrics from the late O.D.B. How Can Hip Hop be dead if WU TANG is …FOREVER!!

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/95004

Looks like Watch Your Mouth ain't gonna be on the album  :?

Rza on how he got the role of Moses Jones

Audiences are anxiously waiting the film "American Gangster" starring Academy Award winners Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe.
The movie, opening this Friday, Nov. 2, chronicles the story of Frank Lucas, a 1970s heroin kingpin from Manhattan, and the detective sworn to take him down. Directed by Ridley Scott, the mega-starred flick also features legendary actress Ruby Dee and rapper/composer RZA, who recently spoke with reporters about their roles in the film and the legacy of Lucas. "I tried out like many other actors," RZA said of scoring a role in the highly anticipated film. "I tried out first for the character whose name is Jimmy. They liked my screen test, but they did not like the way that I was doing the character - he was more like a cokehead and I was doing more like a weed-head. But they called me back a couple of weeks [later] and told me I got the part, but a much bigger part. They told me I'd be doing the part of Moses Jones."

RZA's Moses Jones, a police officer working with Detective Richie Roberts (Crowe) on the case of drug lord Lucas.
"I learned a lot. I learned from Mr. Crow and the real police officers that were on the set making sure the lingo was right or the attitude was right," he said. "In some of the shots of the film, you see real police officers beside us. I grew up in New York City on the other side of the law. To get a chance to play a cop in the film is kind of ironic."

Another cast member calls New York home, too. Ruby Dee stars in the film as the Lucas matriarch, who is the recipient of much of the glitter gained by Lucas' drug trafficking. As Mama Lucas, Dee admits that she portrays a woman in deliberate denial.
"I think that she had a sense that [her son] was involved in something that wasn't quite right," she said. "She didn't want to acknowledge it. She wanted to believe that there was something more in store for [the family]. I think for a long time, she turned her eye. And there was no husband in the house. I think she was accommodating in the best way possible for a black woman at the time, and hoping - because he was personable and an intelligent man." Dee continued that she was a witness to the benevolence of the "gangsters" of Harlem during that time.

"I lived in that period; I grew up in Harlem so it seems like something of that is in my consciousness. Thinking in terms of the Robin Hood agenda of those modern gangsters, as they mentioned in the film, on Thanksgiving they would come around with shopping bags with a turkey for the people. Some of them would ensure the maintenance of the building. There was a feeling of protection. If you needed something, you could go to the right person and they would help you out. It was so mixed up," she said.
RZA agreed, "It's a double edged sword. I respect how he treated his family, but at the same time, he was messing up so many other families."
It's that paradox that brings to the forefront the concern of telling these stories without glamorizing the crime. RZA spoke to that issue saying that telling the story is not really to blame. He himself admits to growing up watching movies "The Godfather" series and "Goodfellas" and becoming entranced with that way of life.

"You watch 'em and you become fascinated with the violence and the criminals," he said. "But a movie is a movie. It's based on a true story, but it's not a true story. For those who get inspired by the negative side, I hope they realize what happens in the end."
"It did tell the story of Frank's own impressions and having to accept the horror of racism at such a young age and then moving in the direction as a way to live his life," Ruby Dee said. "I did understand that. When he began to involve the family, [Mama Lucas] got afraid for the family and for him, because they did look up to him." "American Gangster," also starring Armand Asante and Cuba Gooding Jr. opens this weekend, November 2, in theaters nationwide. "When I take a look at this picture objectively, I'm horrified," Ruby Dee said. "It's such a sad, sad story. It's this broken life of a potentially brilliant young man."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:13:14 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #438 on: November 03, 2007, 03:29:55 AM »
heads up fool, Jay-Z is on Letterman tonite.

Listened to a few...ain't feeling Erykah Badu singing "Gently Weeps"

Looks like Watch Your Mouth ain't gonna be on the album  :?

FUCK!!

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2007, 08:14:18 PM »
Finally listened to American Gangster (hehe, finally, and it comes out tomorrow).
Overall, i like it.  Its not his best, but definitely beats Kingdom Come.  I haven't actually listened to all of his albums, btw.  Only Kingdom Come, Blueprint, and Black Album.  Yeah i know, i'm missing out on Reasonable Doubt. 

Fallin' is the Track!!!  Sick!  Jermaine Dupri and No.I.D.!  That inspires me.
I don't like Hello Brooklyn 2.0.  I hate Lil Wayne.  They shoulda taken that off.
I'm feelin Roc Boys, No Hook, Ignorant Shit, Say Hello, Success, Fallin'.
word.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Kimi to Boku to Modokashii Kyori