JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Week

Author Topic: The Kusumi Koharu Thread (久住小春)  (Read 198862 times)

Offline kyo-

• Member+
  • S/mileage Family
Re: The Kusumi Koharu Thread (久住小春)
« Reply #640 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
i just listening the radio show.. and still playing on my MP3 player  :(
.. wtf koharu "momusu just my step up" "way to get inside showbiz"
.. what i felt right now..  just like some people who disagree of koharu in DoriMusu.. now i feel the same  :doh: the short sentence change my feel toward her  :catglare:

and just try to look using google.. seems like what koharu said become a big topic among fans .. yes, she declare career suicide
can't imagin nakazawa neesan heard this.. koharu, be prepared of neesan rage
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:52:02 PM by kyo- »

Offline Sammi33

« Reply #641 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:44 PM »
Maybe my translations and interpretations were a bit harsh, but my husband was listening to it too and he said that Sanma and Murakami are not only comedians, but are part of an older generation. And they were saying things that were half-joking, but what they were really trying to do was tell Koharu to shut up in polite terms, and she was not taking the hint. She was being incredibly rude and two-faced to Sayumi, who had tried her best to be her mentor, but Koharu just made her into a slave basically and she couldn't take it anymore, was at the point of ripping hair out of her eyebrows before she finally quit. Sanma even called her out to apologize to Sayumi and she didn't. She said "Well, I said thank you..." Throughout the program Sanma and Murakami were saying that she was saying too much, and every time they did she would just say "Really?" She. just. didn't. get. it. She came off as very (wrongly) full of herself and "above" Morning Musume.

Offline Sammi33

« Reply #642 on: January 22, 2013, 03:57:48 AM »
http://shinzui.blog75.fc2.com/blog-entry-508.html wota transcribed some of the radio show for anyone who wants to read/try to translate.

I'm just honestly shocked. Most of the other graduates, save for maybe Kago Ai because she was blackballed, feel gratitude to H!P and MM for all of the things they learned and the great memories, many say that MM is like their family. When former members have a wedding or funeral other members show up.

She could have turned it around, and said something else. The things she said were that Morning Musume was just a platform for her, she implied that staying in MM would hold her back, etc. She was also just all around rude and inconsiderate to the other people on the radio show, interrupting constantly and not taking hints like oh, being told by Murakami to shut up several times, moving Sayumi to the point of tears, and being told by Sanma that people would be angry at her and calling her a cockroach.

I'm shocked because she was my favorite member when she joined. I watched Kirarin and played the games too. I joked that she was a "miracle" because she couldn't sing yet she was in MM and a successful solo artist. She had droves of female fans and was supported by them and their families before she joined CanCam. Before she was in MM, she was some cute nobody in a blue jogging suit from a dusty town with bad teeth. By joining MM, she got a full makeover from a team of stylists, dental work, she had to be taught to look at the camera, to pose and smile naturally, she had to be taught to walk normally FFS--she walked swinging the same arms and legs instead of opposite apparently! She had Sayu appointed to be her mentor, but instead of having her teach about singing, dancing, and the finer points of being an idol, Koharu asked her to hook up her phone, her TV, because quote from the radio show "it was easier" Sayumi is an honest hardworking girl and she gave it her all, to the point where she was pulling out her own eyebrows from the stress, and had to quit for her own health. Koharu's attitude about that is "I did say thank you" She says that she wanted to join CanCam all along, well why not just skip the middleman if you don't care about them anyway? She came off as rude and ungrateful in this radio show, and I feel like she is still just using MM and H!P so she can move on to "better" things....unfortunately she doesn't realize that she already had the best she was ever going to get. She is a pretty girl, but that is it.

Offline XcuteX26262X

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #643 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
Koharu was never my favorite. I've always thought she was a spoiled, self centered brat. And while I personally don't think there's anything wrong with someone wanting to pursue their career, what she said was rude, disrespectful and uncalled for. I just feel bad for Sayumi, it must have hurt hearing those things coming from your junior... :smhid

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #644 on: January 23, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »
Being told that one is as unexpected as seeing a cockroach in winter, does sound like a much more pointed criticism than the usual 'baka' teasing......

All summer long, you never know when a cockroach will scurry by your feet on a sidewalk, or in your house or a shop.....

But no matter how cold and windy it gets in the winter, there are no cockroaches to be seen....
so to see one in winter is unexpected, and in a disgusted way. (it is a pretty funny line though, I will have to use it sometime)

For a career in Japan entertainment, you don't want to piss off people like Sanma, Akiko Wada, Tamori, Beat Takeshi, etc., so I do  hope that someone who is looking out for Koharu, and who has a feel for what happened, will give her advice if warranted.

Some people were standing up for Koharu (in foreign fan community) because she was being honest, but I also question that as an eleven year old, she had a grand scheme to leapfrog over the other junior high kids in H!P onto the cover of every fashion magazine, and finally into the  Imperial Palace............(okay, that part I made up)

If she has a magazine contract and enjoys modeling, more power to her, maybe pissing off a lot of idol fans (if she has) won't really do much to her in her current pursuits anyway. But time will tell.

I tend to root more for idols who have made mistakes due to their own struggles in real life and their young age (Ai Kago, and Maki Goto, in her own way), and then try to find their way as adults.

I don't really have a feel for what Koharu is like. I do remember thinking how unfair it seemed for someone that young to get so much of the kind of criticism she got back then.

But maybe she could learn from the great one, Miki Fujimoto- you don't need to say everyithing you are thinking at all times....just an icy cold death stare, employed at the right time, conveys what you are thinking in volumes, yet you can't be quoted.

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #645 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
It's not what she said, but how she said it that's pissing me off. Ok, it's also what she said, the ungrateful brat. And the people that are defending her by saying, "Oh, at least she was being honest, you can't fault her for speaking her mind." Yes, you absolutely can fault her for speaking her mind. She may not be an 'idol' in that her main job is singing and dancing, but she is still an 'idol' in that, as a former Momusu member, she still has a bit of an image to uphold.

And she wasn't being honest, she was being selfish, calling out Sayu as a liar, dissing her male fans and taking away promotion time for Kikka. If the fans defending her like that abuse, fine, but I don't appreciate a single word she said and I've lost what respect for her I did have.

I can admit when I'm wrong/overreacting. Retracted due to idiocy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:22:11 AM by rndmnwierd »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #646 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
I feel that she is selfish for the comments but I also feel that it is a hard thing to have such expectations and to be behind two generations of members for two some odd years (my honest opinion) Everyone pretty much has said here that she should have appreciated the time she was in the group and her comments are very hurtful especially to someone like Sayu, who took most of the stress of mentoring her.

In the end, if she was out of the music business altogether and said this, it wouldn't change my mind for her (I didn't like her at all) I do feel that she probably was sent to the back because she wasn't ready to take on any the challenges at her age. (My opinion again) 

I think in her mind, she felt that no way she was ever going to get anywhere if no one graduated especially when there are five people in front of you and graduations were happening every year for 7 years straight and then 2 years of no graduations and probably wouldn't have one until the following year.  She had resentment and said it out of her heart.

I'm on the fence for this, honestly she could have said it after the spotlight had gone and no one would care what she says but in this way, she was being selfish and probably should take some type of punishment in DMM (my opinion again)

The leader comment... she was never going to be one anyway :lol: it would have been too weird to do so
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:02:53 PM by kurosawa87 »
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #647 on: January 24, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
Quote from: TnB from mm-bbs.org
The show starts off with a discussion about how Aika has come down with the flu and how it seems like everyone is getting it.

Sanma: Mitsui is out today -
Sayumi: Even though you brought Aika a present.
Sanma: Yeah, a birthday present--
Koharu: Whoa, how nice!
Sanma: Some hand cream. Look we're gonna introduce you, so--
Shoji: Hold on, hold on-
Koharu: Gimme [a present] please, please! Koharu wants one too!
Sanma: Look, we're gonna introduce you, so --
Koharu: Koharu wants a present too.
Shoji: Wait, please!
Koharu: Okay.
Sanma: We're trying to say that [because of Aika's absense] Koharu is here today-
Koharu: Oh really?
Sanma: Whatd'ya mean 'oh really?' Man, you're pretty painful.
Koharu: Am not!
Sanma: You are. [laughing]
Koharu: Not at all.
Shoji: I totally get it.
Sanma: Well, I've figured out why you quit MoMusu.
Michishige/Koharu/Kikkawa: [Nervous laughter and squeeling]
Koharu: No no no, I'm scared.
Sanma: Why at such a time, so half assed…
Koharu: But since I quit I've been really successful!
Sanma: Successful!? That's uh….
Koharu: I'm still working at it, little by little. [She's less confident here, fading out a little.]
Sanma: So as a model you're doing CanCam, is it?
Koharu: CanCam.
Shoji: That's amazing!
Sanma: Would you be more successful staying in Morning Musume or being a model CanCam, that's a hard choice right?
Koharu: Ah, you're right…
Shoji: Do models talk this much?
Koharu: They don't talk much, no.
Shoji: That's what I thought.
Koharu: They dont' talk at all.
[Lots of laughter from Sanma/Shoji]
Koharu: Sometimes we appear on variety shows and get to talk, that's about it.
[More laughter and background chatter from all]
Koharu: Am I talking over you today?
Sanma & Shoji: You are.
Koharu: Sorry.
Sanma: You're like an old lady -
Kikka: Aika's not here, but she's [Koharu] actually wearing Osaka-style clothes.
[Note: People from Osaka have a reputation for wearing flashy clothes. This comment follow's Sanma's remark about Koharu sounding like an old lady. There's a stereotype that Osaka grandmas are noisy.]
Sanma: The leopard print?
Kikka: The leopard print-
Koharu: It's black though, black!

They talk a bit more about Koharu's clothes and then get back to the point that Aika is off today so Koharu is filing in. Koharu wonders if Sanma & Shoji remember her from the first time she appeared. Shoji insists that of course they do, they just had an entire conversation with her. She asks them to remember her, and they insist that they do. She says she plans to come back lots, even her agency said so. Sanma jokes that he's got three talkative/pushy people today - the one who's gonna keep on coming (Koharu), the one who thinks she's cute (Sayu) and - what's Kikka's deal? They talk for a little bit about how Kikka idolized Koharu when she joined.

Shoji: Koharu-chan, what do you plan to do going forward? Keep modeling?
Koharu: Modeling, variety television, everything.
Shoji: Oh anything - a multi? [Japanese-English: a "multitalent" is a talento (entertainer) who does things from all genres]
Koharu: Yeah.
Shoji: Could do an entire drama?? [said with disbelief]
Koharu: I will, I will. Huh, are you offering me a role?
Shoji: Uh... yeah.
Koharu: You're lying aren't you?
Sanma: She said "you're lying aren't you?" Of course he's lying! He doesn't have any power to do that.

Some more boring talk that leads to…

Sanma: I'll likely come down with sickness or something too, but there's nothing to do but get through it with vigor [Sayumi mm-hms and agrees as he talks]. In 57 years, even with all this widespread outbreak, I've never gotten sick.
Sayumi: [Starts to say something]
Koharu: You haven't had the first symptoms?
Sanma: Um- Michishige is talking.
Koharu: Oh sorry.
[Shoji and Sanma lecture/tease her a bit on interrupting]

Sanma: Michishige, weren't you in charge of her training?
Koharu: Just a little.
Sayumi: Yeah, just a little.
Sanma: Well you're in charge of her again today.
Koharu: Please take care of me.
Sayumi: But I think you can tell, she makes you want to give up on training. Halfway through.
Koharu: Why? I'm not that weird.
Shoji: You're like a slightly different Momochi.
Sayumi: You might be right!
Koharu: No way, no way! I'm cuter than Momochi!
Shoji: You're a different form of Momochi.
Sayumi: Momochi is cute too, but-
Koharu: It's a different cuteness.
Shoji: She's similar.
Koharu: Sanma-san, aren't I cuter?
Sanma: Weeelll I think it'd be a good fight, right about now. It's about now that your womanly charm will emerge. If you're pushy, men will pull away.
Koharu: Ah, well -
Shoji: You've gotta work on that a little.
Sanma: I think Koharu would do best dating M guys. [More Japanese-English: M stands for masochist, but just refers to people with a more submissive/passive/quiet personality type.]
Koharu: Whaaat nooo.
Sanma: What do you mean no, you're an S aren't you? [S = sadist, which means more dominant/bossy/assertive personality type.]
Koharu: I'm not S.
Sanma: Huh? When it comes to love do you turn M?
Koharu: I'm M.
[Sounds of surprise from all]
Sanma: So you'd put up with a lot of stuff?
Koharu: I wouldn't.
Sanma: Then you're S. You're not the type to just go "ok ok" to everything you're told and to listen, right?
Koharu: I don't listen. I say everything [that I'm thinking].
Sanma: So what about you is M?
Koharu: Ummm…
Sanma: Play? [Now he's talking about sex.]
Koharu: [laughs] Not that. It's that I can't bully people. S people bully M people right? I don't do that.
Sanma: Well that's a really severe S, but I mean in terms of general personality, you're more of an S to me.
Koharu: I want to become M.
[Laughter]
Sanma: Well just watching you now, uhhh… it's amazing, you joined MoMusu at age 12 and quit at 17.
Koharu: I did.
Sanma: And you said now you're modeling for CanCam. So you wanted to be a CanCam model?
Koharu: Yeah, that's right.
[Laugther from Shoji]
Koharu: I always liked CanCam.
Shoji: Normally at 17 that's when people are like "Now it's my time! I'll take the center" and "I'll become leader."
Koharu: I didn't want to become leader at all. But, well, I always… but I was actually there for 3 years right? 3~4 years.
Sayumi: 5 years right? 12 to 17…
Sanma: What's up with that cold attitude?
Sayumi: What! I'm being normal!
[Lots of everyone talking over each other]

Sanma: So then you quit halfway through…
Koharu: No, I thought "If I do it now I can still recover."
Sayumi: You shouldn't say it like that, "recover"… (laughs) Recover from Morning Musume?
Koharu: I don't mean it like that, um… I did Morning Musume-
Sayumi: Koharu you're so mean! (laughing)
Sanma: So being in Morning Musume was really the way to go right?
Koharu: It totally was.
Sanma: Of course. (laughing)
Koharu: It was great.
Sayumi: You definitely don't think that.
Shoji: What you just said sounded like "Being in Morning Musume ruins you"…
Koharu: No that's not it!
Sayumi: That's cruel! [Sounding upset]
Koharu: No no, I was thinking "If I keep on going this way forever, how will things turn out for me?"
Sayumi: That's such a cruel way of saying it. I'm gonna cry. [Still upset]
[Koharu is shouting some things here, but too much is going on at once to pick it out.]
Sanma: So basically the point is that you thought Morning Musume wasn't for you?
Koharu: It was for me, but I thought "I'd like to do one more thing, something a little different."
Sanma: Ah, I see, I see.
Koharu: Back then, I thought "I'm 17, so I can still try out lots of things" and I quit.
Sayumi: So you joined Morning Musume to be part of Morning Musume, right? [Meaning out of love for the group, not ulterior motives]
Sanma: Right, right.
Koharu: Mmm...
[Slight pause]
Sanma: Is that wrong? Oh, you were thinking "I want to be famous so I'll join MoMusu?"
Koharu: Yes, that's it. [Confidently]
Sanma: So that's how it was [laughs]
Sayumi: Huh, what do you mean? Be famous? Oh, just yourself? [Genuinely confused and surprised]
Sanma: She means it was a step.
Koharu: A step up.
Sayumi: Oh, so it wasn't about Morning Musume-
[Sanma/Shoji laugh a little at Koharu's phrasing]
Shoji: You'd better watch out, people are gonna hate you. (laughing)
Koharu: No way, no way!
Sanma: This is a weird subject for a talk. "I used Morning Musume as a step up." (laughing)
Sayumi: That's so cruel, you're going to make your seniors mad.
Koharu: No, no - I joined Morning Musume because I wanted to be part of the entertainment world.
[Sanma/Shoji hysterically laughing]
Sayumi: And then after that it was all for yourself?
Sanma: You can't say anything, you probably thinking of "stepping up" too.
Sayumi: I'm completely satisfied just being in Morning Musume.
Koharu: Huh? So you'd just give up there?
Sayumi: For me, joining Morning Musume was my dream.
Koharu: Seriously!?
Sayumi: Right now I don't have any dreams beyond that.
Koharu: That's definitely a lie.
Sanma: Right?
Koharu: Don't you agree that's definitely a lie?
Sanma: I do, I do.
Koharu: All I'm doing is expressing normal feelings.
Sanma: Yeah yeah yeah, I get it, I get it.
Sayumi: All I'm doing is expressing normal feelings too.
Sanma: Yeah yeah yeah.
Shoji: This has to be rough on your manager.
Koharu/Kikkawa: It is.
Shoji: There are times when it's best not to take things too far.
Koharu: Really? What should I be doing?
Shoji: Maybe you should like… return to Morning Musume and study some more?
Koharu: That's impossible.
Shoji: You'd be part of an organized group.
Sanma: (Laughing) That's right, with her personality it'd be impossible to be in a group.
Sayumi: I really think it'd be impossible for Koharu (laughs).
Sanma: I see it now! With that personality you couldn't do group activities. Did your agency tell you [to quit because of that] or did you tell them?
Koharu: No no, I told the agency "I want to try modeling"
[Laughter]
Sanma: You gave such a simple reason?
Koharu: But it's really true.
Sanma: You were going along in Morning Musume, dancing away, and you thought "Wait a minute, what am I…"
Shoji: "This is all wrong, I shouldn't be singing!"
[Laughter]
Koharu: I really thought that! "I shouldn't be singing"
Sayumi: Huh? You thought that?
Koharu: I did.
Sanma: Being in MoMusu you actually could do everything.
Koharu: Modeling too?
Sanma: You can do talk shows, modeling, or rather you'd be in magazines in outfits and stuff.
Sayumi: Even while you were in Morning Musume you were able to model, right?
Koharu: Yeah but in Morning Musume, your fans are mostly men.
Sanma: Right, right.
Koharu: As a model, you have a lot more female fans, so it's different. It's a different direction.
Sayumi: What's wrong with that? [Having male fans]
Shoji: There are girl fans too, a fair amount.
Sayumi: Yeah, there are girls too.
Koharu: But I wanted to receive support from female fans.
Sanma: Aaah.
Sayumi: You were able to do that in Morning Musume too… (laughs)
Koharu: But isn't it difficult, being an idol? You kind of have to curry favor with men.
[I can't make out Sanma/Shoji here]
Sayumi: "C-curry favor" is… (surprised and nervous laughter)

Sanma: Well, we weren't that mature at 17 to think about changing jobs, so that part is amazing.
Sayumi: It certainly is.
Sanma: Kikka watched Koharu and respected that way of life, right?
Kikkawa: Uh.. I didn't see it…
Shoji: You respected her without watching her?
Kikkawa: No it's just that I didn't really know she felt all of this…
Sanma: What do you mean "felt all of this"?
Sayumi: Her naivete?
Kikkawa: Yeah…
Koharu: But this is normal, seriously.
Sanma: Right? Yes yes yes. In American society, or in the fashion industry, you have to assert yourself or you won't get hired. That's amazing~.
Koharu: Yeaah.
Sanma: You're not supposed to say "yeeaah" (laughs).
Sayumi: (laughing) You can't just keep saying "yeaaah" at Sanma-san. [She means that Koharu should be more polite/responsive towards someone very senior to them in the entertainment industry]

Sanma: Hey, mentor. What exactly did you teach her?
Sayumi: I seriously did everything to do with taking care of her.
Sanma: No way!
Sayumi: I called taxis for her, I made phone calls for her-
Sanma: You made calls for her!?
Sayumi: I made calls for her, I was her phone line? And I taught her how to record a video, I taught her everything. Everything, seriously.

Sayumi then talks about how Koharu really didn't know how to do anything. She had to go to Koharu's house and help her use her phone and her fax machine [everyone is shocked], how to tape their TV shows, everything. Shoji thinks that's probably forgiveable since she was so young, and Sayumi says she was young too and couldn't give a proper explanation. Koharu still thought it would be faster to have Sayu do everything, so she called her over. Shoji says it's Sayu's fault for not forcing her to learn to do things on her own and being more strict, but Sayumi says it was her first time being a mentor so she went all out and before she knew it she wasn't teaching Koharu dancing or singing, just how to live in her house.

Then they talk a little bit about Koharu's hometown. It's cold there. She doesn't go back often.

They talk about Koharu's modeling career - she's having fun. She says it's different from being in Morning Musume, there are no rehearsals. You just show up for the real photoshoot or fashion show and go. Sanma says other models practice on their own time, but she says she does fine just learning as she goes. Sanma says she should think about her selling point as a model and she seems confused, so he basically explains how posing works and how people come up with poses that focus on their best assets. He asks what she thinks is better about her than other models. She says her face. Sayu compliments her long legs.

Sanma asks for her best model face which she calls her "chun" face. This is apparently that face.

Sanma: Well, today Mitsui came down with the flu, so-
Sayumi: As a stand in,
Sanma: Koharu came…
Koharu: Thanks goodness.
Shoji: She said "Thank goodness" (laughs)
Koharu: If you didn't need a stand in I never would have had the chance to be on Young Town!
Sayumi: Mitsui is suffering right now.
Koharu: She's suffereing, but for ages I haven't been invited to be on YoungTown. For aaaages it's probably just been me [left out].
Sayumi: You can understand why you haven't been invited.
Sanma: Yeah, the manager is like "This was really a casting failure."
Koharu: Seriously!? Should I calm down? I got it.
Sanma: You need a cool down period (laughs)
Koharu: I get along really well with my manager. I really love (him/her).
Sanma: Man, you've made me hate the flu.
Sayumi: He misses Aika (laughter).

There's a long section about dreams and stuff that's boring. People who were worried about Kikka being overshadowed as guest - she talks plenty through the rest of the show. The stuff above is really in the first 15 minutes or so.

There's a slightly interesting bit where some questions are asked about Kikka looking up to Koharu. Koharu says she should give up on that, and Kikka responds "Yeah, today was kind of… but… well…" Koharu gives her some advice on losing weight, she recommends running.

This has nothing to do with the "scandal" but it's kind of funny?

Kikka: But don't you think running makes your breasts shrink?
Sanma: I don't see the big deal.
Kikka: No no no I don't want that!
Koharu: I think if you wear a sports bra it's okay. I think it's bad for them to sway.
Kikka: Oh really, a sports bra?
Sanma: Are breasts really that important to your persona?
Kikka: I want to have them.
Sanma: Why do you need them in this job?
Kikka: They're just important to a woman.
Sayu: To a woman, right?
Kikka: As a woman.
Sanma: But now they have all kinds of bras to make them bigger!
Koharu: They do, they do, they totally make them bigger.
Kikka: But don't you want real ones?
Sanma: Ohh that'd be nice, are you going to play a sexy role in a drama or something?
Kikka: No, it's not - I don't play those kinds of roles but…
Sanma: So what were you talking about that has you so busy?
Kikka: The rehearsals for my musical.
Sanma: Ohh I see [blah blah blah promo for her musical] so you think it'd be cuter if you had some breasts to fill out that costume.
Kikka: That's right. It's a musical so I'd stand out.
Koharu: I've got it! I thought up something great.
Sanma: What is it?
Koharu: Sanma-san, um - if you lose a little weight in your stomach, they'll look a little bigger right?
Kikka: That seems to be true. If you're really tiny here it looks bigger here.

Boob Science!  :lesson:

There's a long boring stretch of talking. Sanma talks about how life was harder back in the day and shit. Response:

Koharu: I don't like it when people get mad at me. It makes me hate them.
Sanma: Right? You're not used to it.
Koharu: I'm not. [Sayumi laughs]

They talk about the 10th anniversary of the 6th gen and ask what Sayumi's most memorable experience has been in the last 10 years.

Sayumi: I can't really pick one from 10 years but..
Sanma: But today you talked about mentoring this girl [Koharu] and you actually went to her house to fix her electrical wiring…
Koharu: What's the big deal! Wasn't it a good experience?
Sayumi: A good experience!? You don't hold back do you.
Koharu: Huh, did I really do anything that bad?
Sanma: Yeah, if you'd had a manager from Yoshimoto [his agency] you would have gotten hit. The normal thing to do is say "I beg your pardon/I'm sorry."

Sayumi then talks about how her most memorable experience was her first concert in her home prefecture, Yamaguchi, and how moved she was by everyone calling her name and holding up all pink glowsticks. Her family even wrote "Michishige" on a sign and held it up in the audience.

Sanma: That would really erase all of the bad times. Stuff like your helpless junior who you watched out for, and after all that said "I'm qui~tting" and just quit. Even though you did all of those things for her, she thought "I think I want to be a model" and quit. That'd definitely piss me off. [Sayumi laughs in the background]
Koharu: Is it that bad?
Sanma: It's bad.
Koharu: Seriously? Sanma-san do you seriously think that?
Sanma: It's bad.
Koharu: Aaaah…
Sanma: That's the end of that.

They talk about how many new year's greeting cards Sayumi received, going back and forth on the topic. Randomly Koharu jumps in and said "I send them!" and there's a breif pause. Shoji says "Why did you jump in?" Sayumi laughs and says "She jumps in wherever she feels like it." Sanma says she's like a cockroach in winter.

Eventually it's Koharu's turn to read a letter. Sanma says he's worried.

Koharu: From NariNari-san in Yamaguchi prefecture. "To Koharu, being called a health nut is a compliment!"
Sanma: You want to be called a health nut?
Koharu: No not really.
Sayumi: What? NariNari-san went to the trouble to write you a letter. [Sanma is laughing]
Koharu: No no - after I quit Morning Musume, I did some stuff where I was supposed to be a health nut, but...
Shoji: What's up with you?
Koharu: No it's true! It was true! I even put out a book, and I planted crops, I went all out. But it got kinda hard…
Sanma: What was hard about it?
Koharu: When I'd really delve into "health" I'd get headaches.

From there Sanma talks about how it can be bad to go overboard and Koharu says that around that same time her modeling career started so she gave up on the health thing. More uninteresting talk and then Koharu reads another letter.

Koharu: From NariNari-san in Yamaguchi prefecture. "Michishige-san, you really worked hard to mentor Koharu! I'm really interested."
Sanma: You didn't really do it, right? You gave up…
Sayumi: I did juust a little bit!
Sanma: I can't believe you had to go to Yoshizawa for advice. What was it like for you?
Sayumi: I asked her "I'm calling a taxi for her and things like that every day, is this what mentoring is about?"
Sanma: What'd Yoshizawa say?
Sayumi: "Uh no!"
Koharu: But it's not that big of a deal right? Was it really that hard?
Sanma: (Laughing) Uh, uh, well, having the person in charge of you call you a taxi - what were you thinking?
Koharu: I didn't really understand what to do, to be honest.
Sanma: But you just know, as a person. You'd say "I beg your pardon, would you mind calling a taxi for me?" [his example is said very humbly and politely]. That's how normal people would ask.
Koharu: Well I thought she was a great person, I said "Thank you so much!" But I guess I didn't say "I beg your pardon" or anything.
Sanma: She said it [thank you]?
Sayumi: She did say "thank you so much." But she'd call me over to her house in the morning and stuff. Because we lived close to each other. She'd say "Can you come get me in the morning?"
Koharu: I couldn't really get up [in the morning].
Sanma: Aren't you supposed to be the junior?
Sayumi: [Laughing] That's right, but…

Next it's Kikka's turn to read a letter. It's about attending the coming of age ceremony.

Sanma: Oh - did you have your coming of age ceremony too?
Kikka: That's right, on the 13th.
Sanma: Did you go?
Kikka: I couldn't go.
Koharu: It was my coming of age ceremony too.
[Mumbling from Shoji, laughter from Sayumi]
Sanma: Right now we're talking about Kikka.
Koharu: Sorry, I wanted to say it.

[In the background as Kikka gets ready to read the next letter]
Shoji: (softly) Try not to say pointless things okay?
Koharu: Ok. Sorry.
Kikka: Can I continue?
Shoji: Yes.
Koharu: Sorry.

The next corner is mostly about Sanma. Until:

Sayumi: [Reading a letter] "During her own fan club event, Kusumi Koharu-chan answered the question 'What was the most important thing you learned from Michishige-san?' She said… 'Nothing in particular.' "
Koharu: That's wrong, that's wrong.
Sayumi: Are you calling it a lie?
Sanma: What do you mean it's a lie? It's true that you said it.
Koharu: I did, but I wasn't thinking that way. I was asked lots of questions and I first answered most of them with "Nothing in particular." There was another question about Michishige-san and I answered it!
Sayumi: What'd you say?
Koharu: She's super kind, I seriously respect her. I said that. [Sayumi laughs]
Sanma: I can tell by listening to you, you really didn't learn anything.
Koharu: Really?
Sanma: And you [Sayumi] didn't teach her anything.
Sayumi: [Laughing] Sorry, Koharu-chan.
Sanma: It's your fault she turned out this way.
Sayumi: Whaaat? I'm sorry [laughing]
Shoji: Weren't you on a comedy show? [To Koharu]
Koharu: I was.
Shoji: What you should have done is go to watch them first, before you appeared in on TV. [Laughing]
Koharu: [Quietly] That's true…

Next they do a corner where the girls say sexy lines in a super sexual moe anime voice. It's Koharu's first time trying this and she's really terrible at it. She just reads the lines normally. Kikka does the best. Sayu does one well, one kind of lame.

Ending:

Sanma: Are you going to be able come again? [He's referring to how poorly she did in the sexy voice part, like "are you going to be able to pull that off"]
Koharu: I can, I can. I can come next week
Shoji: Impossible.
Sayumi: Next week!? [Laughing]
Shoji: You should take a little break.

http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?s=a47dd2657e9b4e70c771932dcceceed8&showtopic=5567&st=90&p=142505&#entry142505

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #648 on: January 24, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
I know this is wrong to assume XD

But many do take a route like this to get exposed and they can decide to pursue anything beyond singing if they wanted to.  So Koha in being blunt had a mid-career crisis and just took the route with greener pastures.  And yes I was being captain obvious :nervous
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #649 on: January 24, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
The last few days I've been reading around about others' reactions and I've found there's three basic types.

The first type are the fans who react by resenting Koharu.
I think these fans are generally the ones who weren't Koharu's fans in the first place, and so were more likely to believe some of the more extreme negative interpretations of what she said.

The second type are the fans who saw nothing wrong with what she said and rush to defend her.
I suspect that these are generally her fans from before, and are more likely to rationalize her behavior as "being honest" or "normal ambition".

The third type are the ones that wanted to wait for a real translation before passing judgement.
These are the people that think the real truth is somewhere between the extreme interpretations taken up by the other two groups and therefore want to make a more informed decision.

Having better facts to work from now thanks to TnB's translation, I imagine that many fans will re-distribute themselves into one of the other two groups. Personally I always considered myself part of the third type, so not much has changed in my own opinion. It's just that now I feel more confident in discussing this whole ordeal without relying as much on hearsay and assumption. During my readings of others' opinions I was staring to find it hard not to get swept up in all the purely negative sentiment going around.

After reading this translation, I am glad I resisted that temptation. My interpretation is that yes, Koharu was a very troublesome member, but I also watched her grow up and improve as a performer, which certainly must have required quite a bit of hard work. Were the things she said rude, selfish, and inconsiderate? Certainly! But I get the feeling that more than those two things, what came out of her mouth was more rooted in cluelessnessness than malice. Over the years I think it's been sufficiently proven that Koharu is supremely clueless in a great many things, so I'm not all that surprised when that comes across in ways that are considered rude and annoying. This episode only confirms to me that she is who I thought she was.

Both of the extreme views have some good points to make. Yes, not everyone is cut out for the line of work they take on, and people generally go into a job with dreams of growing beyond it. Yes, certain things that public personalities feel should be kept unsaid for the sake of their image and the feelings of others. But I reject the view that Koharu is completely free of fault as well as the assumption that she actually meant everything she said. To me it's just not realistic to believe a 12-year-old bumpkin could really have such overreaching ambitions from the start. Like I said before, I believe the truth is somewhere between the extremes. Things are never quite as bad as the worst assumptions nor as good as the rosiest interpretations.

Having met TnB in real life last year, I am highly inclined to take her translation as accurate. At least accurate enough to make an informed decision on what to believe. After reading through it, I am acutely aware that there is still lots of room for individual interpretation, and many people with extreme views will only see confirmation of their existing opinions. But at least now those views can be tested from a position more based in fact than hearsay.

As a general disclaimer, I am not trying to kill discussion on this subject. I would in fact like nothing more than more meaningful discussion all throughout the H!P forum. It's just that I prefer to advocate more moderate opinions and discourage extreme ones. In my experience, everyone having extreme views only leads to meaningless flame wars, whereas more moderate views can have more nuance and therefore can lead to more interesting discussion.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:08:20 PM by Slack »
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #650 on: January 24, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
I suppose I might consider a non-fan since I never liked her voice and found her more and more annoying as time went by. Still, it's not as if I hate her. Since Sayu went from being my most disliked to one of my most admired members I have learnt tobe more moderate in my opinions about the girls. In any case there is always Tsunku to hate :lol:

But even with the more accurate translations I find her tone excessively rude and selfish. Not only in the matter or MM or Sayu's mentorship. The part where she says that she doesn't visit her hometown very often irks me some; perhaos it's an awful place noone would like to live in (I don't know), but still it sounds to me as if she doesn't want to be inconvenienced even in order to visit family, friends or even get in touch with her former life. Looks very conceited to me.
And let's not get started with the way she treated Sayu as a mentor. While she was very young by then she wasn't much more than Maachan is now and, if you remember when she explained about not knowing how to heat the bath and not daring to ask Sakura (her junior!) to do it you have a good example of a girl that can be inmature, ditzy and even annoyingly clingy at times - yet she's respectuous to others and doesn't expect the world to solve her problems. Which is, in a way, what Koharu expected for UPF to do when she entered MM: build her career and help her to achieve her goal of becoming a model. This isn't just the behaviour of an air-headed and clueless young girl, it's several manifestations of a very selfish and conceited person.

And while I wouldn't care if a talented girl to push her agenda in any way possible, her deaf-tone voice and overall annoying, unfunny personality won't make up for it.

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »
Quote from: TnB from mm-bbs.org
Koharu: From NariNari-san in Yamaguchi prefecture. "To Koharu, being called a health nut is a compliment!"
Sanma: You want to be called a health nut?
Koharu: No not really.
Sayumi: What? NariNari-san went to the trouble to write you a letter. [Sanma is laughing]
Koharu: No no - after I quit Morning Musume, I did some stuff where I was supposed to be a health nut, but...
Shoji: What's up with you?
Koharu: No it's true! It was true! I even put out a book, and I planted crops, I went all out. But it got kinda hard…
Sanma: What was hard about it?
Koharu: When I'd really delve into "health" I'd get headaches.
http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?s=a47dd2657e9b4e70c771932dcceceed8&showtopic=5567&st=90&p=142505&#entry142505

I'd always been wondering about that healthy image. :lol:

I've been thinking the situation over for a few days now after seeing a lot of angry fan reactions and I wasn't sure if I wanted to post anything about it, but why not?

Having seen that full translation, I agree that Koharu seemed quite callous and I can see how that upset people. Her foot was clearly lodged in her mouth so I guess it's a good thing she ended up in a profession where speaking in public isn't the main goal. :P Still, she's not the first idol to say something rude about the job and certainly not the last.

For what it's worth, I joined jphip in 2006 at age 14 and gradually became a huge Koharu fan. Some of the older forum members will probably remember it, at least a little. She has been and always will be my favorite idol to come from H!P and this scandal hasn't done anything to change my mind about it. I think it's possible to care about an idol for reasons other than having a stellar personality, though that's grounds for liking someone (like Sayu or Ai-chan's dedication to Momusu).

Regardless of the stupid things she might say, that doesn't change how much I enjoyed her as an idol/performer during her tenure in Momusu. She meant a lot to me during a crucial period of my life and I'm glad that as a young adult, she's found a career that makes her happier than being an idol. It was pretty apparent that being an idol wasn't a lifelong career choice for her and I always felt that she enjoyed her solo activities more than group stuff. The interview merely confirmed that, and I'm sure there are a lot of difficult parts to being an idol like feeling beholden to the fan image of you. It's not exactly a field that allows for much personal expression and it just didn't seem to suit her in the longterm. She could have been much more tactful about it, but she's still young and I think eventually she'll learn to be more appreciative of the experiences she had in Momusu that allowed her to get to this point in her career.

I'm 21 years old now and I'm thankful that I became a fan of Koharu's and ended up a member of jphip, I've met some of my dearest friends though this forum and as a result of being her fan. She graduated from Momusu the same year I graduated high school, so in a way I always felt a little bit tied to her. I hope she continues to have a career she finds fulfilling, but at the same time I hope she learns the importance of being tactful and respecting the opportunities you are given.
rina ♥ mini

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #652 on: July 15, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
Happy Birthday to Koharu san! Hope that she has a great day with her family and friends!

And may the coming year bring this lovely young lady jobs that she enjoys,
continued growth and experience, and confidence based on getting to know her true self!
 :otomerika: :deco: :thumbsup

Offline MurasakiNeko

• 今を生きる、今を楽しむ
  • Member+
« Reply #653 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Happy Birthday Koharu! :heart:   :jphip:

Shut Up. If I wanted to listen to an arsehole, I would have farted.
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #654 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
Happy Birthday!!!!!
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #655 on: August 23, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Koharu ice bucket challenge

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2015, 04:08:23 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #657 on: October 21, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
CROSS-POSTING!!

Now there are guests joining her on her "Angry Risa" series. :lol:

And OSHIT the vids are being hosted online on TV TOKYO's website!

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/yoshiki/

~SNIP~

http://www.tvtokyo-play.com/series/yoshiki/0026.html - Former Morning Musume (Rika Ishikawa & Koharu Kusumi)

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #658 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #659 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »

Kusumi Koharu new photobook 「moment」. Releases November 16.
https://twitter.com/hipnewsservice/status/919080303590871040

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Week