JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - You You You

Author Topic: is Kobe marketable again?  (Read 5750 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
is Kobe marketable again?
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:39:30 AM »
Kobe Bryant gets his first ad in the latest Sports Illustrated. The Nike ad is really genius but is Kobe marketable again?

You Failed
1000 Made Jumpers.
No Playoffs
Abs 200x5
Selfish
Curls 15x3
Overrated
Bench press 2x15
Not a leader
Baselinesx20
A fluke
300 made bankshots
Too young
Lunges 15x4
Uncoachable
Tricep press 10x4
Played out
800 m run x2
No focus
Calf raises 12x3
You're burnt
Squats 2x10
An outcast
Reverse hyper 10x4
Past your prime
Box Jumpsx3
Ball hog
100 made free throws
Too cold
Military press 8x4
You're mental
Five-mile run
Stubborn
Pull-ups 12x5
You peaked
lat pulldowns 10x4
Prima donna
Low row 10x4
Big ego.
Leg curls 10x3
A baby 17's x3
Not a team player
Film review
It's over
Suicides x3
No more rings
Suicides x3, again

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 08:02:17 AM »
Nike is fuxing Genius! Nike>Reebok, Addidas...

Yea I still think Kobe is marketable, I would buy his shoes....if they weren't so fugging ugly like those old addidas ones. Plus his commercials were way better than Lebrons....way better.

I think the rape trials are long passed. If he plays his cards right he will be back. I bet if he apologizes to Shaq on espn it will get even better. lol

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 10:17:49 PM »
Regardless of what he did in the past, the guy is STILL a big-time celebrity athelete.  Little kids no have no understanding (and even some who do) of the whole incident and trial won't care about anything EXCEPT for the fact that he plays basketball really well.  If they're parents don't like the guy the kids will STILL whine and bitch for mommy and daddy to get them all the Kobe crap that they want.  And they'll get it too.  Bottom line, advertising isn't about morality and whether or not the guy is a good/bad role model for kids.  It's about whether or not his face will still sell shit.  More likely than not, it will.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline Ping

• Hiatus King
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Reina <3 4Eva!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 10:37:15 PM »
Nike is genious.

Offline ytl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:58:08 PM »
where is the last line?

"You raped.
 3 yrs in prison"

:x  :x  :x

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 11:48:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure Kobe can regain his past popularity (well, at least a fraction of it).  If people like R. Kelly can successfully release new singles and sell out shows (the one with Jay-Z before) even after all those accusations, then Kobe can surely bounce back.

All it'll take is one good marketing campaign or even just a cool commercial and he's back on track.  Nike can tend to make stars out of sports players without them actually proving themselves on the court.  (i.e. just look at the guys from the draft a few years back; Curry, Chandler and Brown).

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 11:21:02 AM »
No matter how much Nike hypes Lebron, just head to Nike Basketball and click on "The Family" ... Kobe has been ranked #1 forever. And this with ZERO advertising and HYPE.

http://www.nike.com/nikebasketball/usa/index.jhtml?ref=www.nike.com

The Beavertown marketing is genius - no matter how much the media tries to play the "Kobe's jersey is in the dumps in terms of sales ranking" shit.

Offline Kenji

• Kyamei's Bitch
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »
*Cough* KOBE SUCKS

*Runs* :D

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
Quote from: Kenji
*Cough* KOBE SUCKS

*Runs* :D

*Bans* :P

hey...check it out. The Training Room site is up and Kobe's new kicks with the wack logo??

The Air Zoom Hurrache 2K5 AVAIL THIS TUES.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 09:20:38 AM »
Kobe's first TV ad for Nike to debut Thursday

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2323992

NEW YORK -- Pleased with his play on the court, Nike is ready to test Kobe Bryant's ability as a salesman.

Bryant's first televised ad with the shoe company will debut during NBA programming Thursday night, more than 2½ years after he signed an endorsement deal with the sneaker company in the summer of 2003. Soon after he struck the deal with Nike, Bryant was charged with sexual assault in Colorado.

The ad coincides with the release of the Zoom Kobe I sneaker Saturday and seeks to capitalize on Bryant's renewed popularity. Interest in the Los Angeles Lakers star has been the on rise this season, especially after his 81-point game last month, the second-highest total in NBA history.

"Kobe's inclusion in marketing and promotional material is an acknowledgment of his elevated level of sports performance," Nike said in a statement.

The commercial shows Bryant shooting free throws, then doing other drills. His voice narrates, 'Love me or hate me, it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved, for the exact same reasons."

The theme of the ad seems to play off the fact that Bryant, though long one of the NBA's best players, has never enjoyed total acceptance from fans.

He was booed near his hometown when the 2002 All-Star game was in Philadelphia, and was viewed by many as the driving force behind the breakup of the Lakers because of his feud with Shaquille O'Neal.

His image took a major hit when he was accused of sexual assault by a woman in June 2003 at a Colorado hotel. The criminal trial fell apart when the woman refused to testify, and a settlement was reached in the civil suit.

Though Bryant lost endorsements with McDonald's and Nutella as a result, Nike kept him under contract, though the company didn't use him until a print ad last summer.

"He's part of the Nike group of athletes that endorse our product," said Rodney Knox, Nike's director of communications for basketball. "There's been no change. Our relationship with Kobe has remained intact."

Bryant was asked recently how he thought he was viewed by fans.

"I think they're seeing a person who's determined, who's focused on being one of the best basketball players and is trying to elevate his team to get back to that elite status," he said. "Despite whatever challenges, mountains and obstacles were in his way, he's been able to overcome it and continue to battle through it.

"And everybody has their own crosses to bear. Mine isn't different from anybody else's here but we all have our crosses. The point is to pick that cross up and carry it."

===
Man, I still haven't seen KOBE I in stores.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »

Here's the commercial: http://rapidshare.de/files/13111905/Kobe_commercial.mov.html

AWESOME shit. Hate em or Love em. It's all for the same reasons.  :w00t:

NIKE = BEST

Check out the official website

Offline Chadjones2013

• ecchi
Re: is Kobe marketable again?
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:16 AM »
Yeah, I think he's marketable again.  After the scandal, he lost all those sponsorship deals with McDonalds etc.  After winning his championships, I always see him in Nike commercials and people don't mention the scandal much anymore.

Offline dtan17

• ecchi
Re: is Kobe marketable again?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »
ain't nobody gonna remember him next season

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - You You You