JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Number Girl - Toumei Shoujo

Author Topic: All Aboard! [Chapter 26! --sorry for the wait]  (Read 100246 times)

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: All Aboard! [Chapter 17!!!]
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »

I liked how the chapter started off with Eri - god I love that girl!
Walking around with the crate on her head  :D reminded me of this http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=26
Poor Turtle-chan getting nearly impaled by Reina's harpoon! (or cupid's harpoon?)

lol@Yossie and Rika's "waterworks"

And Miki getting it royal from Aya, I could so picture her face  ;D

And oh no's, AYA!!!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2007, 02:33:41 AM »
I wonder, I wonder. XD No, there's no chapter yet, and official comment-replying only precedes a new chapter. I'm only here to present an omake of the last chapter! And some footnotes. XD

-------------------------------------------

Special Alternate Bonus Scene

Feeling somewhat frightened by her own audacity, she reached over her shoulder to grab at her main weapon, the specially reinforced battle harpoon that was slung across her back. The weight of the familiar weapon lent her strength and courage, and slowly the wonky pirate advanced, her feet making very little sound on the floor as she moved closer to the independently moving crate that was currently shifting near the back door of some place.

A couple of feet away from the supposedly haunted crate, Reina paused...and aimed a violent kick at the side of the crate.

Eri felt a sudden sense of vertigo as a jarring impact knocked into her from the side, sending her reeling over and dazed from the whole effect of being flipped over like a turtle onto its back.

Reina stared. What the hell...

For Eri was currently lying ass-in-crate, flopped over awkwardly on her back with her crate-shell underneath her, and a dazed swirly look in her eyes. Her mouth twitched slackly, mouthing something weakly.

"....can't...get...up..."

Reina's grip around her harpoon tightened, even as an inexplicable blush colored her face.

So...damn...cute...!
--------------------------------------------------

XD Courtesy of Yuuyami, who gave me the idea. XD This isn't fic-canon since it's a bit out of character for Reina. :P

Annnnd anyhow, footnotes await!

*cleans glasses* Shall we begin our first lesson then? Let's give a brief background on the Empire, shall we?

1) The concept of the Empire was drawn heavily from the Roman Empire of old, although I added in elements of the British Empire in terms of its status of a naval power of its time. A brief summary of the forces behind its creation.

-- The Highlanders, the most numerous and fearsome cavalry-type warriors, their traditional domains were the central plains and even up to the Northlands along the fringe of the Arctic Woods. Their home is the center of the Empire, where it all began on that same continent. They are traditionally skilled horsemen, and the early Highlanders were a nomadic herdsmen, tending to horses and cattle alike. However, later generations settled down into more stable settlements, turning most of the central and south of the plains into a vast farmland, though they did not abandon their attachment to the old ways and continued to raise the finest horses in the land. There are still nomadic tribes of Highlanders roaming the edges of the Northlands, but they are quite free-spirited and not fully subject to the authority of the central government of the Empire. However, they will come to the aid of their kinsmen if called upon, being fiercely clannish and loyal to the bloodlines.

-- The Sea Folk, as the name implies, are spread out along the southern edge of the main continent in little fishing villages, although there are various clans that spend their time more out on the face of the ocean than they actually do on land. Various villages devoted themselves to the pursuit of certain kinds of prey, from just  normal fish to the bigger prey, like whales and even squids. Hardy explorers even ventured further out, settling into the various smaller islands clustered in the southern oceans. The advancement of sea travel through the improvements to the ship types was incidental, mostly due to the discovery of iron mines in the southeast part of the continent, as well as the abundant gold deposits on the islands that the explorers had discovered. The need to build stronger, hardier ships in order to transport the bounty back hailed in a new era of shipbuilding, as well as fostering the growth of a new threat: piracy. Some people inherently found it easier to steal from others rather than dig for the gold themselves, and piracy surged with the rush of gold hunters.

-- The union of the two cultures was naturally, because of war. Greed was a motivator, and the Highlanders wanted the gold for themselves, not to mention that due to the monopoly of the iron mines the Sea Folk had, the Highlanders were forced to pay exorbitant prices for iron tools, and even then only limited supply was granted to them. The clash of the two cultures ran for decades, since the Sea Folk usually retreated back into the ocean when it was apparent that their strongholds on land were clearly going to fall to the savage horse-warriors. Despite having an edge on technology with their iron and steel weapons, the Sea Folk were no match on land for the swift raiding attacks of the Highlanders, who counted on the speed and mobility of their forces to launch surprise attacks without warning. The iron mines were defended to the death by the Sea Folk, who during that time came up with several innovations in battlefield weaponry and tactics, often utilising their knowledge of the terrain surrounding their territory to set various traps for the invading Highlanders. The futile wars finally halted after over 70 years of on-and-off bloodshed, before the leaders of both sides finally decided to call a truce and quit killing their people.

-- The actual union of the two disparate peoples took over over two centuries, as each generation got to know each other better and mingle more, and eventually a formal treaty signifying the alliance of the two peoples was signed, and therein lay the first foundation of what was to be known as the Empire. It took an outside enemy to fully unite the two cultures into one formidable fighting force, and after repelling the barbarian raid from the south continent over the ocean, the dream of Empire was born.

Ok that's enough history lesson for one day. I'll come back next time with more. XD
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:13:53 AM by Estrea »

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #242 on: April 15, 2007, 02:40:29 AM »
-IMMEDIATELY ILLUSTRATES-

Offline Ren

• ワーイε=ヾ(*・∀・)/
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a girl!
« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:12 AM »
^
That illustration pwns ;D. and so is the omake :D.

Wow lessons about the empire.. :D

Actually I was getting confused, who is the person Nacchi mentioned at the end of the chapter? Aya? Gaki? Kamei? O_O When I read it I thought Gaki because maybe she couldn't leave her smexy wife... But the other comments said Aya O_O? *reads again and again* I'm still confused... O_O If its Aya... Is she kidnapped by Miki as a revenge or something ;D? If Kamei, maybe she's too busy kicking Reina's ass for calling her a turtle?

Eri imitation of turtle is so adorable, every turtle reference with Eri always make me laugh :D. And LOL the weapon loving Reina is scared of ghost. Can't wait to know what they both will do, or what Eri will do to Reina for joking about turtle... But Reina doesn't even know her name yet! ;D Guess Eri here is short-tempered :D.

Poor Turtle-chan getting nearly impaled by Reina's harpoon! (or cupid's harpoon?)
Cupid harpoon?! I want one :heart:!

Eri was wrong on Yuuki and her being the only normal ones, since Yuuki is a male-clone of Maki with frilly dresses. :lol:

The half lies half truth works huh? So the pirates believe in them? ;D They are such nice pirates!

But Rika staying with the pirates... Is there a possibility she will join their pirate work too? :D Like learn to use swords etc-

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
Re: All Aboard! [Chapter 17 + omake and footnotes]
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
*______* Let there be TanaKamei~! -prays- <3 <3 <3 <3 I want a wonky turtle damnit. XD

I like the brief history lesson XD Although, I'm not a fan of history, I found it really cool that you put that in there. ;D
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline Econxp

« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »
omg the omake is adorable! :heart: Luv TanaKamei!! More Please More!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
For Eri was currently lying ass-in-crate, flopped over awkwardly on her back with her crate-shell underneath her, and a dazed swirly look in her eyes. Her mouth twitched slackly, mouthing something weakly.

"....can't...get...up..."

Reina's grip around her harpoon tightened, even as an inexplicable blush colored her face.

So...damn...cute...!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~! :luvluv1:

The Highlanders
OYM DUNCAN MAKLOOD OF THE CLAN MAKLOOD!!

- I had to say it.  :lol:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline glcorps2002

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Rina Akiyama: Booty Beauty
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2007, 11:26:58 PM »
OYM DUNCAN MAKLOOD OF THE CLAN MAKLOOD!!

- I had to say it.  :lol:
Now what you should have said is: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Offline C60533

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2007, 11:41:27 PM »
The TanaKamei interaction is so cute  :k-inlove: Any referance to Kamei's Kame instincts is adorable. You know...it just hit me...but the people with big boobs are in the Navy. For example Maki, Nacchi, Aya's coming along too...only one that's missing is the Okappai. But that's just me...I notice werid things when I'm on a high. Besides...you're cast is so huge you'd be on overload if there was more. Must say though, the reason I was high is from reading this fic. It's a drug I tell you. So...keep the chapter's and omake's rolling or else I'll go through withdrawl symptoms...not a pretty sight... :sweat:

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
Miki took Aya! W00t!

<<<<<<Twins, twins, I want the twins!!!>>>>>

Offline itchyknee

« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2007, 07:13:31 AM »
 :shock: AYA'S MISSING?!
*hopes that Miki has something to do with it...*

Offline Tinnygy

• Jeez, don't look at me!
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2007, 08:06:13 AM »
Where is Aya? You're horrible Estrea!

Wonder if she be kidnapped by hohoho... the bouty hunter and be rescued by Miki, hahahaha... Just kidding!
GAM= Great Aya and Miki

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »
Wonder if she be kidnapped by hohoho... the bouty hunter and be rescued by Miki, hahahaha... Just kidding!
Actually, that would be rather interesting. If that happened, Miki would REALLY never let Aya forget about how she saved her...AGAIN!

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2007, 03:00:53 PM »
Comment reply time! And yes, that means new chapter! XD

Yuuyami: Well hey, you find out, sort of, what happens to Aya here. <3

Econxp: Fast enough update for you? :P

len.chan: Miki-napped? Just read on and find out what happened. :D

FIM: Yeah Kamei-in-a-box...I want one too. XD And yes, the Aya thing is truly a WTF moment. XD

Saikami: Cuteness overload? What a way to go. XD Hey hey, no hurting me, who will finish the story if I'm out of commission? :P

JFC: Woah mass quoting. XD Glad you liked the chapter, and yes, what happens to Aya indeed? XD

glcorps: Whoops. -falls into plot hole- Ouch, that hurt. Well, uh, let's just explain it away by saying that Yuko doesn't care much about technicalities. XD As for the Ai/Risa situation, I'll clear it up in the chapter after the new one. :P

coachie: Yes, I love Eri too. XD Haha MGS comic. XD I always did wonder how he got away with the cardboard trick. XD And yes, oh noes Aya!!! :D

Ren: LOL at the Yuuki comment. Male clone of Maki, except that wears frilly dresses! XDDD It's sad that Maki doesn't wear frilly dresses, but her brother does, doesn't it? XD Well, you have to wait and see about the rest. :D

C60533: LOL about the big boobs in Navy. I didn't notice myself before... XD Well here's the next chapter to satisfy your craving. XD

rndmn: I'll think of working more twins time, I promise. :)

itchyknee: The million dollar question, does Miki have anything to do with Aya's disappearance! All will be revealed in due time. XD

Tinnygy: Welcome aboard! Nice theory btw. :D

Annnnd done. Everyone, enjoy the chapter! Oh and Yuuyami, you just loooove wedging me, don't you? :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:23:53 PM by Estrea »

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
-WEEEEDGE- <3

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
Chapter 18

The dorm was quiet. It was a rare day off from their special assignments, so some of them were sleeping in happily. The curtains were drawn over most of the narrow windows, keeping the light of the noonday sun from interrupting the calm shadows of their sleeping area.

Miyabi was sprawled belly-first on her bed, her limbs spread messily over the sheets. Her blankets were half on the floor, and was only anchored to the bed by virtue of the fact that part of it was trapped under her body. The girl didn't snore, but a bit of drool was trickling onto her pillow.

Risako had somehow managed to flip positions in her own bed, her feet on her pillow while her head and part of her upper torso was flopping dangerously off the foot of her bed. The youngest girl of the group was clutching on to a handmade teddy bear with a death grip, seeming quite comfortable in her sleep despite the awkward position.

Yurina, as usual, had her feet sticking out at the end of the too-small bed, and her pillow was mashed over her face, with one arm thrown carelessly over said pillow. Judging from her position, she was most likely about half awake already and just reluctant to get up when she didn't have to.

Chinami was nowhere to be found in her bed. A further inspection revealed that she had fallen off sometime during her sleep, taking her blankets with her, and was currently curled up in a ball on the floor, blissfully oblivious to the world as she snored on.

"Back already, Maasa? I thought you weren't due back until later." Yurina mumbled as she moved her arm, letting the pillow slide off her face. Bleary eyes angled sideways to find her older comrade standing at the entrance to their sleeping quarters, which was part of a subtly separate building from the rest of the servant quarters in the Prime Minister's mansion, their current base of operations.

"Practice got cancelled, so I got leave to come back early." There was a hidden chuckle underneath that statement, and Yurina blinked sleepily. "What happened?"

"There was an accident involving that disgusting lecher who claims to be a teacher." Maasa sounded incredibly smug and self-satisfied, quite unlike her usually more reserved air. The lethargy faded from Yurina's body, and she rolled to her side, pushing herself halfway up to look straight at a gleeful Maasa, who looked like a cat that got the canary. "Huh, what? Really? Awesome!"

"I know." Maasa ambled over to her own bed, which was furthest into the room, right next to Yurina's, and opposite a currently vacant space. The 15 year old felt a sudden twinge, wondering if their former comrade was doing fine. They hadn't seen Maiha for over a year, almost two now, and it was difficult for the other girl to send messages back given the delicacy of her current mission, not to mention the difficulties of long distance communication at the time. Postal services were the domain of the wealthy, requiring horse messengers, and using pigeons did take a while, and there was no guarantee that the message would arrive safely.

"What happened?" Yurina asked eagerly, but keeping her voice low in order not to disturb the others.

"I think we all underestimated Koharu." Maasa quipped, flopping down on her own neatly made bed. "She packs a mean punch."

"Didn't you teach her that?" Miyabi had one eye open, and had rolled back onto her back. "And good morning to you too."

"It's afternoon. Or actually, just noon. Good noon?" Chinami cracked lamely as she stretched like a lazy cat, arching her back and getting onto her knees on the floor.

"That's just so lame. Try harder Chii-chan." Miyabi stretched as she sat up slowly, rotating her shoulder blades to loosen her muscles. Chinami stifled a yawn as she climbed back onto her bed. "Gimme a break Miya, I only just got up."

"I thought you guys were sleeping?" Maasa asked in confusion. Miyabi snorted. "You need to walk softer Maa-chan, I recognised your footsteps from down the hallway."

"Yeah...not even our Kuma-chan treads that heavily." Chinami agreed, gathering her strewn blankets. Yurina made a face. "I don't walk like a bear."

"Risako didn't react." Maasa pointed out, gesturing at the bed diagonally opposite hers. Miyabi looked to her right and shrugged.

"Rii-chan always failed that part of our training anyway, so that doesn't count." The other girls laughed.

The still unconscious girl in question stirred at the sounds, and on shifting her body, promptly slid off the bed as a result. It was only a credit to their extensive training that she somehow managed to not fall on her skull, instead ending up sprawled belly first on the floor, her stuffed teddy bear breaking the contact between her face and the floor. The other girls in the room giggled, and Miyabi lifted her eyes to the ceiling.

"How did she get into the group anyway?"

Despite the nasty words though, Miyabi was the one who walked over and hauled Risako to her feet, the younger girl rubbing at her eyes blearily, clearly still groggy after her rude awakening. "M'ning Miya..." She mumbled as she hugged the slightly shorter Miyabi reflexively. Risako, at the very least, was sort of a morning person, in that she didn't attempt murder when first woken up unexpectedly. In fact, she was more likely to hug whoever who woke her up first instead of reacting badly.

Miyabi couldn't help the smile that inched onto her face at the hug, and Chinami grinned, seeing an opening. Clearing her throat, the self-styled joker of the group proclaimed dramatically.

"And that, ladies, is why Risako is with us." She topped it off with a flamboyant flourish of the blanket she was holding at the hugging girls.

Miyabi threw Risako's teddy at her head.

Maasa and Yurina grinned as Chinami caught the tossed object with her blanket and bounced it back to Risako, who was finally fully alert and caught it easily enough, cuddling the stuffed toy close. Maasa looked around.

"Hey, where's Momo and Captain?"

"Momo woke up after you left this morning. I think she was going to practice with her new toys." Miyabi noted, strolling over back to her own bed. "And Captain followed out not long after Momo left." Miyabi ran her hands through her hair, trying to straighten it out. "Funny how Captain woke up so early when we get to sleep in for once."

"Love-love is in the air!" Chinami joked, while haphazardly rolling her blankets up and stuffing them in a corner. Miyabi snorted.

"Yeah, and the sun will rise from the west. What, are you mad?"

"Who's mad?" Momoko's voice rang out suddenly, making everyone jump.

"Where the heck did you come from?" Miyabi's eyes were a bit wide. "I didn't even hear you."

"Back door." Momoko grinned at Chinami, who whistled innocently. Yurina looked curiously over. "Did you modify the place illegally again?"

"It was Captain's idea." Chinami said defensively. "We just, uh, knocked a hole in wall behind the closet over there." She pointed at the innocent-looking wardrobe next to Saki's bed. "And replaced the back of the closet with a false wall. It opens out to the thorn hedges outside, so nobody in their right mind can come close enough to see the difference."

Risako blinked. "Then how do you use it if the thorn bushes are in the way?"

"We trimmed the thorns off on this side of the hedge, and there's a way out further down." Momoko explained as she went to her cupboard and started taking off her additional equipment.

"That still doesn't explain why I didn't hear you." Miyabi frowned, glaring at the offending closet-cum-secret-exit.

"Have you ever seen Captain use that closet?" Momo started by way of explanation. When everyone shook their heads after a moment of thought, Momo smiled.

"There's nothing inside but a couple of old blankets on the bottom to muffle the sound when someone steps through, and the doors are oiled frequently to make sure they don't creak. And I've always been good at sneaking."

"Wait," Maasa scratched at her head as a thought occurred to her. "If Chii-chan knows because Captain asked her to help, how come you know too, when the rest of us don't?"

"I caught Captain sneaking in at night through it once." The short girl said by way of explanation.

"Why weren't we told about this before?" Miyabi asked accusingly, feeling left out.

Chinami laughed. "We wanted to see if anyone else found out first on their own before we told everyone. But so far only Momo-chan passed the test."

"Pfft. Whatever." Miyabi walked over to her own space and picked up her fallen blanket, opening her own closet and throwing it in.

"Bad mood so early in the day?" Saki was sitting in her own now-open closet. Everyone jumped.

"What the...when did you get in?" Miyabi was sure that the closet had been closed just a few seconds earlier.

"Right after Momo did actually, but I stayed inside to eavesdrop on you guys." The tiny captain hopped out of her empty closet and shut the doors. "Oh, and I have good news people. Letter from Maiha!" She drew out a tightly rolled up piece of paper from a pocket.

That got their attention. Everyone scrambled over to crowd around Saki, eager to see what their former teammate was doing on her solo mission. Technically, Maiha wasn't really supposed to be contacting anyone during her deep cover assignment up in the northern lands, but the girl had always been sort of contrary to the rules. Actually their whole squad never did play by the rules even while in training, much to the exasperation of their handlers. However, one couldn't deny that their blatant disregard for rules and regulations of any kind made them very creatively effective in their line of work. Flexibility of thought was a must in their profession.

"When did you get the letter? We were sparring together earlier and I didn't see anything." Momoko asked curiously, leaning in as Saki unrolled the message.

"Because you weren't paying attention dear." Saki replied calmly. Momoko made a face at that.

"So what did she say?" Yurina poked her head over the crowd of shorter girls to look down at the message in Saki's hands.

The message, as it was, was finely detailed and written in code. A very familiar code for them, since they were the ones who devised it during their training period, as a unique identification code as well as their own private means of communication. Every member of their squad had memorised it and were sworn never to reveal it to outsiders, not even to their superiors. It wouldn't be much of a secret code if everyone else knew how to read it.

'Hey guys, I hope you're doing well. Am still stuck running around the forest in this stupid war. The enemy and our side just take pot shots at each other now that winter is starting to settle in early here, like it always does. The guns aren't firing well because it's so damp, both on our side and the enemy, and it's crazy to see the firing line suddenly break down because only one in 10 rifles are working. Snuck into enemy camp and shovelled snow on their gunpowder, now they can't use their rifles until new supplies come in haha. Am sitting in a tree writing this, did you know that the enemy never looks up on their patrols? Makes it easy to pick them off. It's damn cold up here and I had to steal the white fur coats off the enemy guards I kill. Damn cheapskates on our side not giving me any winter supplies, I had to scrounge for them on my own. Not that I want their winter clothes, mind. They look damn ugly for one, and they're in RED, for another. What kind of idiot wears red coats in a winter forest? Talk about being walking targets. Well if they want to be sniper bait, that's their problem. Well it doesn't seem that the war is ending any time soon, so I guess it's another season up in this godforsaken forest. Hope you're having more fun than me back down south. Love, Maiha.'

"It seems like she's enjoying herself." Saki quipped ironically as she looked up from reading the letter aloud. The rest were just grinning at Maiha's cynicism evident in the letter. The girl was probably bored because no one was good enough to give her a proper challenge. Maiha did always do well when it came to sneaking around for sabotage purposes, after all.

"Well at least she got an interesting assignment." Miyabi groused. "We're stuck babysitting Koharu and going out for the occasional mission."

"Oh Koharu isn't so bad." Maasa noted tolerantly. "And it's easier than doing other things."

"But boring, very boring." Miyabi repeated, moving back to her own area next to Saki's bed, Risako following behind her.

"Hey at least you got to follow Captain along for that assignment the other time. Yuri-chan too." Chinami pouted, poking her taller friend in the side. Yurina's eyes lit up at the mention of the assignment, sighing dreamily. "Mmm..."

"Well we didn't need to scramble the whole squad for a simple arson." Saki said defensively as she shooed the rest from her messy floor space. Chinami had to haul the daydreaming Yurina back to her bed, since the taller girl was spacing out again at the mention of arson.

"I wonder what warranted it though..." Momoko wondered aloud as she unceremoniously sat down on Saki's bed, while toying with the device strapped on her right arm, before pulling her sleeve back down over to conceal it.

"We don't ever ask that." Saki said just a bit sharply, kneeling down to pull a chest from under her bed. "It's against protocol."

"Yeah yeah, just follow orders, right?" Miyabi remarked as she quickly changed into more presentable clothing for going out, Risako doing the same over at her own closet.

"That's right." The small captain was rummaging through the chest, finally pulling a case out. "Aha."

"Well anyway, we're washing up and going out. Coming, Rii?" Miyabi called out to Risako, who was about halfway dressed and pulling on a blouse over her head.

"Don't stay out late, and make sure we can find you if necessary." Saki admonished as she kicked the closed chest back under her bed and tucked the case away in her pocket.

"We're just going over to the foothills to gather some herbs." Risako puffed out as she hurried to catch up to Miyabi, who was already halfway out of the door. With a final wave to the rest, the youngest ran out after Miyabi, who, knowing her, was probably already washing her face and getting ready to leave.

"Well, I'm out too. Need to see Konno-san for something." Saki surveyed the state of her floor space, then decided it was better to leave clearing up to another day. Glancing at Momoko, who was currently unashamedly flopped on her bed, she sighed.

"Momo, go sleep on your own bed." Momoko pretended not to hear her and instead hid her head under one of the pillows. With a roll of her eyes, the squad captain gave up and left the other girl alone. "Drool on my bed and die." Was the last thing she said before stepping out.

"Captain would never let me get away with that." Chinami observed. Maasa just smiled and took off her outer coat, before sinking into her own bed. "Wake me up for dinner later."

"Yeah same here." Momo mumbled from under the pillow. Murmurs of assent from Chinami followed, and she poked Yurina again, trying to get a response out of the currently spaced out girl. Yurina blinked. "Hmm?"

"I asked if you wanted to go steal some food from the kitchen now." Chinami repeated patiently.

"Steal? Why steal? We can just ask the cook for breakfast...uh, lunch." Confusion shone in the taller girl's eyes.

"But it's more fun this way!" Chinami grinned as she pulled on a plain set of clothes, before reaching into her cupboard for her trusty deck of cards, slipping it into her vest. "Come on, get changed."

"Get me something to eat too." Momo waved from Saki's bed, the pillow still covering her face. Maasa had already fallen asleep. Chinami nodded.

"Will do."

"Don't get anything with peas in it."

"Sure."

"Something with fish might be nice."

"Ok."

"Oh and I want..." Chinami threw a pillow at Momoko, hitting the older girl in the stomach.

"Go steal it yourself if you're so picky!" She huffed. Momoko removed the pillow from her face and laughed. "Thanks Chii-chan. You're the best." Yurina giggled at Chinami, who deliberately turned away from Momoko's grinning face with a snort.

"Let's go."

~*~*~

It was rare indeed, Koharu mused, that she was left alone for the day. Well, mostly alone. She remembered with distaste the fact that there were two burly guards outside her door, effectively grounding her within her spacious rooms. What did she need with guards in her uncle's own house? And the worst part was that Saki and the others were off for today, and she missed their company.

What was a girl to do with herself under such circumstances? That was the pressing question. Koharu looked around her room with a critical eye, trying to form a plan of action to get out of the room without tipping the guards at her door off.

Maybe it was the fact that in recent weeks she had been sneaking out more often with any one of the other girls, and it was rubbing off on her. Because Koharu figured out very quickly what should could possibly do under such circumstances, and she did it with little hesitation.

By the time the maid came in bearing the little lady's lunch, there was already no one left in the room.

~*~*~

The sun was mild out today, and puffy white clouds were skipping like playful little sheep across an azure sky. The temperature was just right, not too warm nor too cold. The droning voice in the background, too, was a perfect backdrop for a nap. Which was what happened, essentially.

A sharp rap on her knuckles brought her back to the world of the living. "Excuse me my lady, but please try to stay awake for the history lesson." The teacher, a kindly looking woman, smiled down at the sleepy face sprawled over a huge book.

"But I already know all about the Cheval Clan Wars and the Boer Uprising!" The girl protested, pouting cutely up at her tutor. The woman remained unmoved by the expression, having been rendered immune to it since she had been teaching the same girl for many years already and had gotten used to it. You just didn't give in to that adorable face, no matter how cute she tried to be, or else you'll just be falling into the same trap many others have dropped into.

The girl didn't give up easily, puffing up her cheeks and putting on her most pitiful look. "Please, you can test me and see."

Against her better judgment, the hapless tutor agreed to that deal.

20 minutes later, the girl was free, having successfully answered all the questions posed to her. All that time spent nose deep in one of those dusty tomes in the library on many a rainy day had finally paid off. She was off for the rest of the day.

Heading out into the extensive gardens of the estate, she stretched and grinned up at the sun in the sky. Such a wonderful day out, almost a pity to be mostly wasted on useless history lessons. Well, it was time to go out and enjoy the fine weather.

Michishige Sayumi, daughter of the Emperor's 12th half-sister, technically of royal descent but not officially acknowledged, due to the circumstances of her birth. The fact that her mother had fallen in love with a young guardsman and ran away with him, only to be accidentally recaptured 6 months later already pregnant with her, made Sayumi herself somewhat of a disgrace to the royal family through no real fault of her own, a bastard child only marginally tolerated because her mother had protected her from being thrown out of the palace when she was born. She had never seen her father, since he had been killed the night her mother was recaptured.

Sayumi never let all that get her down though. As a child, due to her mother's disgrace, they had been sent to one of the lower royal estates further down the mountain which held the main palace, and there she had grown up with much fewer restrictions on her than other children also of royal blood would have experienced. While in no way it could be considered a truly normal childhood, Sayumi came close to having one, much more so than her assorted royal but distant cousins would have had. Her mother largely left her to her own devices, preferring to spend her days quietly knitting with an air of somber melancholy. Sayumi suspected that it was due to the fact that her mother missed her dead father, and felt that it was terribly cruel of fate to have let her mother be a widow at such a young age.

Illegitimate child she might have been, but she had grown up well. All the servants assured her how pretty and adorable she was, not that she ever had any doubt herself about that. She was close to the small number of servants alloted to care for them, since they had pretty much helped to raise her since her mother was always somewhat detached from her upbringing. They lived modestly by royal, and even noble standards, and while Sayumi did receive the basics of a genteel education that a lady should possess, she had never been presented in court as far as she could remember. The time when she was born didn't count, since she couldn't recall a single detail about that particular appearance.

It didn't bother her though. From what the servants told her, the palace wasn't really all that awesome a place anyway. If there was anyone who really knew what the palace was like, it was probably the servants. After all, the royals and the nobility only paraded around the grand upper levels in the castle and its grounds, but the servants were everywhere and saw everything. The nobles never paid any attention to the nearly invisible servants in the background, and talked as if they didn't exist, so the servants of the castle probably knew more about every spoken word in every corner of the palace than did the most avid gossipers amongst the society ladies. Through her close interactions with the servants, Sayumi probably learnt more about the palace and courtly life than if she had been there to experience it for herself.

Despite having come of age a couple of years back, Sayumi had never had a ball celebrating that fact as many ladies would. Actually, she had never been invited to any balls or parties either. She and her mother had essentially been forgotten by high society. As far as the court was concerned, they didn't exist, and since there wasn't any benefit to inviting a disgraced princess and her bastard child, so that was pretty much it.

The fact should have stung her in some way, but surprisingly it didn't affect her as much as she had thought it would. Growing up the way she did probably had a hand in that indifference. She hadn't been brought up to expect anything, and in any case, she relished the freedom of her complete lack of social standing, yet being able to live comfortably and securely due to the incident of her birth. Sayumi often accompanied the maids down to the city on their off days, wearing more ordinary clothing of course, and in short, had what was essentially the best of both worlds when it came to both material comfort and physical freedom.

Strolling down past the dense hedges that bordered the modest estate in which she lived, Sayumi was having a wonderful time looking at the flowers and butterflies fluttering around the neatly kept gardens. However, her appreciation of nature was interrupted by some suspicious rustling further down the hedges, near the corner. Frowning, the 18 year old remembered that there was a small hole in the hedge near that spot that she herself had used on occasion when sneaking out without permission. Who could possibly be using it now?

Curiosity drove her forward to check, but she was ever mindful of the fact that whoever the intruder might be, they could be hostile, and was ready to call for the guards should the situation call for it. When the person wriggled through though, the face that greeted her was a familiar, albeit dirt-streaked one.

"Kusumi-chan! What are you doing here?" Sayumi exclaimed, rushing forward to help the younger girl up. They had met before, when Koharu, ever the curious person, had been exploring the lower estates with a bored Miyabi in tow while her uncle was in an important meeting. The two girls had hit it off almost immediately after Koharu had helped to rescue an injured rabbit from one of the palace hounds, and despite the age difference, they got along fairly well.

"Hiding from my uncle's cronies." Koharu replied, casting shifty glances behind her, as if fearing that her uncle's guards would suddenly burst through the hedge without warning.

"Why would you want to hide from Natsuyaki-san and the others?" Sayumi asked in confusion. Koharu sighed, brushing some dirt away from her face.

"Not them. Miyabi, Momo and the others are good company, but they're on leave today. I meant those armed thugs that work for my uncle."

"Oh." Sayumi shrugged, then eyed Koharu critically. "Did you grow taller again?"

Straightening up to her full height, Koharu looked herself up and down, before grinning back at the older girl. "I think so."

Sayumi pouted. "No fair, I'm older but you're getting taller than me!" Then she paused, before adding almost as an afterthought. "But at least I'm still cuter than you."

Koharu snickered at that, and Sayumi pushed the younger girl playfully. "You know it's true!"

"I'll beat you on that one day too." Koharu vowed in between giggles. Sayumi puffed out a breath and folded her arms. "You wish!"

The younger girl was about to retort, but a suspicious rumbling sound halted both of them. After a moment of silence, Sayumi cracked up in a fit of chuckles, and Koharu flushed in embarrassment, placing a hand on her midsection with a sheepish look. "Um, I kinda skipped lunch while getting away earlier." The younger girl mumbled while rubbing at the back of her head with an embarrassed expression. Sayumi giggled at the awkward look on Koharu's face.

"Come on, I'm sure Cook will make something for both of us." Reaching over, the older girl grabbed the younger's hand easily, ready to lead her to the kitchens. Before she did though, Sayumi paused and frowned critically at Koharu's face. The younger girl tilted her head in an expression of confusion, and blushed lightly when Sayumi's free hand brushed across the tip of her nose.

"You missed a spot." Sayumi explained, flicking the speck of dirt away. "Now let's go feed you up."

"You're just trying to make me fat so I can't be cuter than you!" Koharu accused as Sayumi hauled her along behind her, drawing a giggle from the older girl.

"Well~~ Who knows?"

"Sayu!!!"

Both girls were laughing as they dashed hand-in-hand across the garden.

Such was the spirit of youth.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:34:55 PM by Estrea »

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
~*~*~

"How is she?" An anxious voice.

"We got the bullet out, but she lost a lot of blood." A pause. "She'll live though, I think."

"Thank the gods." Another voice sounded relieved.

"It's nothing. You people have always been good to our village. It's the least we can do to help. Please, stay and rest until your wounds heal."

"We don't want to bother yo--" The first voice started, but was interrupted by the second voice.

"Nonsense. Do stay with us for now, at least until the trouble dies down. I'm sure all the villagers would agree with me."

"Thank you." The other two voices sounded tired but grateful. The patter of feet leaving the room was heard, followed by the soft click of a closing door.

"I hope she makes it." The first voice sounded weary and worried.

"She's strong, she'll be fine." The other voice tried to sound comforting, but worry was evident in her voice as well.

"It's all my fault." The first voice blamed herself. "If I had been more careful..."

"You couldn't have known that the bullet was coming. We all didn't know the attack would come." The other voice was firm now. "She saved you because she wanted to. Now get your chin up. Megumi wouldn't want to see you crying over her when she's not dead."

A small sniffling sound. "Sorry Masae, it's just that..."

"I know. Believe me, I know." Masae sounded like she was strained in several different directions at the same time. She shook her head in an attempt to clear it, reaching out at the same time to clasp Megumi's clammy hand gently.

"I think I'll go see if Boss is back." Ayumi excused herself quietly, leaving the two alone for a moment. Masae sat by the unconscious Megumi's side, head bowed.

"Please be alright..."

"Of course I am." Masae flinched and looked up in shock. Megumi grinned wearily up. "Hi."

Masae's jaw worked up and down soundlessly, before she snapped it shut. "Hi to you too, you idiot."

Megumi closed her eyes. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"No idea..." Masae repeated slowly, fuming. "You almost died out there!"

"Well, I'm not dead now, am I?" Megumi cracked open one eye. "Don't get too upset, it's not becoming of you."

"Idiot."

"But you love me anyway." If her trademark glasses were on, they would have flashed in the dim light. Masae laughed, a helpless sounding kind of chuckle.

"You just don't change at all."

"Of course not."

"I'm glad you're alive." Masae said solemnly, tightening her grip around the hand she was holding. Megumi looked back just as seriously.

"So am I." She paused, eyes distant for a moment. "So am I..."

They didn't have to say much more after that.

~*~*~

The storm outside was raging, a savage beast of nature that no man could tame, no matter how powerful. The rain barraged against weathered planks with a singleminded ferocity, and high in the sky lightning flashed at irregular intervals, while thunder boomed with a deafening roar almost just as often.

It was a violent sort of evening that nature provided. Perfect, it seemed, for the kind of violence that only man can wrought upon their own kind.

She sat passively in the holding cell, silent and unmoving. The shackles on her wrists were simply for show really, since her captor hadn't been willing to chain her at all, but had had to do so out of protocol. She didn't mind though. It was a good trade off in her opinion. Her capture in order to spare the others from blame.

There was only a single guard standing in front of her cell. Young man, didn't seem to be much older than her. She wondered about his family. Did they know what he was doing? Did her own family know what she was doing? She could only hope they approved.

Heavy footsteps in the distance. It was hard to discern amidst the cacophony nature provided in the perfect storm outside, but she heard it nevertheless. It was rhythmic, purposeful, and steady. She had an inkling of who it could possibly be.

She was right, he stopped outside her cell. A single word dismissed the young guard from his post, and her captor stepped through to face her.

"I'm sorry it turned out this way." He began heavily. She stared back at him unblinkingly as he continued.

"Your father is a good man, and you are a good kid too. I don't believe for one second the charges against you, but I have my orders." The girl smiled back kindly at him.

"I understand perfectly. It isn't your fault." The man hung his head, letting a breath out softly.

"Your father saved me and my elder brother's life many years ago, you know? I joined the navy because of him. I owe him too much." He sucked in another breath, then drew out the keys, unlocking the shackles on the girl's wrists. She stared in shock at him. "What are you..."

"A life for a life." He answered. She gasped when he drew his dagger, and stabbed himself in the shoulder with it. He barely cried out despite the obvious pain it must have caused him. He waved her off when she attempted to reach out to him to help.

"No, listen to me. My orders were to kill you after I captured you. I can't do that. It's ridiculous. Those charges...they don't warrant death. Maybe a dishonorable discharge at most. You must go." He rasped out, clutching at his bleeding wound.

"But you'll get in trouble..." She started, but he chuckled mirthlessly.

"I didn't let you go, remember? You stabbed me while trying to escape. Now go. There's not much time. Here." He tossed her own weapon back to her.

She caught it with a start, her eyes downcast. As she headed towards the exit, she turned around, eyes filled with gratitude.

"Thank you." Then she fled upwards to face her fate, whatever it might be.

The man smiled weakly. Even though she could not possibly hear it, he said it anyway.

"Be safe, little Aya."

=====================================

Well well well. Here we are. :D

Megumi: You let me get shot?
Me: Well, it's part of the plot!
Masae: I'll shoot you and see how you like it.
Me: Hey, she lived, didn't she?
Ayumi: If she died, we'll kill you.
Boss: And you left me out of the chapter again. T_T
Me: Ehehehehe...wait guys...what are you doing...ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Megumi: Mmhmm, now that Estrea's currently unavailable, I'll do the closing speech. Ahem, she means to say that she hopes that everyone enjoyed the chapter and that she'll get to writing more when she can....that is all. -looks over at the rest- Hey, don't maim her on accident, we need her to finish the story.
Me: T___T save me...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:58:14 PM by Estrea »

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
Oooooh o____o;

Berryz during their sleep is so cute :3 Risako and Miyabi for the win! <3~! Maiha's letter made me giggle xD The cynical wording cracked me up xD Loved how it seems that Koharu beat the crap out of her teacher xD You seemed to have worked pretty hard on Sayumi's past, didn't you? o_O I wonder if that plays an important role later on, considering illegimate children usually have an important part to play in corrupted governments like this o_O

Oh my gahh! What happened to the Melons?! ;___; Will the Matsuura family be safe with their top guards like that?! And I noticed that they seem to be in a village too... Instead of Matsuura Mansion? Oh gahh, whathappenedwhathappenedwhathappenedwhathappened?! ;_____;

Write faster! -cracks whip-
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:29:21 PM by Yuuyami »

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2007, 03:13:05 PM »
Wow, a lot to say about this chapter. XD You're making me be less lazy with my comments.

Berryz, gotta love them. XD When they sleep they're cute~! Miyabi and Risako are even cuter. XD The letter from Maiha made me all giggly, too bad she can't come back. Stupid boring assignment with even stupider enemies. :x

Sayu is here, eh? o_o; Like my cousin said, because you detailed her past so much considering she was just introduced so I think it will play later in the story. As for her and Koharu, is there going to be a brutal fight over who is cuter? o__o;;

Ah, the Melons. :O I can't believe you shot Megumi. D: But she's alive, so that makes me happy :D Love the interaction between her and Masae. <3 <3

Aya got caught :O!!! Well, that guard is my new friend :D So nice of him to let her go~~ Reminds me of Ribbon no Kishi, except the stabbing part XD

-teams up with Yuu and pulls out crop- Write more~! >:D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:41:24 PM by Saikami »
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline orangesocks

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: All Aboard! [Chapter 18]
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
Third!

'All the servants assured her how pretty and adorable she was, not that she ever had any doubt herself about that.'

Ah, Sayu... :D

and...

...one-way Koharu x Sayu? I never thought of them together before. Neat!  :) Though I can't help but wonder if you're going to make Koharu's uncle a bad guy...

I'm glad that Ayaya's free! Good that her imprisonment got resolved quickly because now she and her crew can join Yossie's bunch and Ayaya can be groped by Miki!  :)

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Number Girl - Toumei Shoujo