JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - Over Load

Author Topic: A 300 Sequel? Really?  (Read 6550 times)

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
A 300 Sequel? Really?
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Frank Miller is writing a follow up graphic novel/comic book to his interpretation of the Battle of Thermopylae in 300. There's a possibility Warner will pick it up and turn it into a prequel/sequel.

What are your ideas on what a plot for this might look like? Remember, Gerard Butler can't play a role in a sequel because his character dies.

If we had a history subforum, I'd be posting there too, which should provide a different, but equally interesting, discussion (which we can do here).

Let's hear your story ideas.

EDIT:
WHOA! Its actually a prequel not a sequel.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: A 300 Sequel? Really?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »
Pointless cash in. That is all.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
They can have my cash as long as this movie involves buffed up 'greeks' in underwear and cape going all violent on people and screaming awesome one-liners.

Though there's more than doubt in my mind that tells me it won't be anywhere near the first.
[/url]

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »
Well, a sequel could be Marathon. Not sure what a prequel would be.

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
someone's gonna say this eventually, might as well get it out
prequel to 300, 200?
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »
Zack Snyder Reveals Story Details for 300 Sequel

Back in June we confirmed that Warner Brothers was looking to develop a sequel to 300. At first, this seemed like a terrible idea, but with more updates on the project, it doesn't sound so bad. IESB talked with Zack Snyder earlier tonight and got an update on their plans. Snyder revealed that Frank Miller is actually planning to write another graphic novel that would take place between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea (that was at the very end of 300). So it's actually not really a sequel or a prequel, but a combination that would seemingly be focused on the character of Dilios, played by David Wenham in 300.

When asked whether he might be interested in directing, Snyder answered that he definitely would, only on the condition that the graphic novel be completed separately from the movie. He wants Frank to finish that comic before they even start on a script. Snyder won't have any input into the graphic novel and wants it to be Frank's own creation. In regards to the story, as explained, there is quite a bit of time between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea. If you recall, Dilios is retelling the story of King Leonidas at the end of 300 to a new battalion of Spartans. That battle that they're about to fight is the Battle of Plataea.

My guess is that everyone only thought about the idea of a direct sequel to 300, which would be like making a sequel to Titanic - obviously that makes no sense. However, there are quite a few stories around the time of the Battle of Thermopylae that can still be told. And obviously there are numerous battles as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wanted to see Dilios lead those 10,000 Spartans in the fight against the Persians at the end of 300. And with both Zack Snyder and Frank Miller involved, I'm not worried at all. In the end it'll be much less of a sequel and much more of a different story set in that same time.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/02/zack-snyder-reveals-story-details-for-300-sequel/

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
I'd go with Battle of Marathon as well. I read a book of the battle when I was still in elementary school, and for many years it was my favorite book :)
coot is ctz

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »
Frank Miller's Battle of Marathon 300 Prequel Titled 'Xerxes'

When you look back at this decade, there were actually quite a few fantastic sword-and-sandal movies, like Gladiator, Troy, 300, and so on. The trend continues strongly even next year with Clash of the Titans and Percy Jackson & the Olympians both due out before the summer even begins. Geoff Boucher looks at this trend in a new article on Hero Complex and hidden in there is a nugget of info on Frank Miller's sequel to 300. "Miller is preparing a follow-up now titled Xerxes, which begins about 10 years before the events of 300, and Snyder has expressed interest in it as a film property as well." Love the title, but what is it about?

"It's the Battle of Marathon through my lens," Miller explained to Hero Complex. "I've finished the plot and I'm getting started on the artwork." The Battle of Marathon took place back in 490 BC during the first Persian invasion of Greece. It was fought between the citizens of Athens, aided by Plataea, and a Persian force commanded by Datis and Artaphernes. It was revealed previously by Zack Snyder that this prequel would take place between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea (that was seen at the end of 300) and would supposedly focus on the character of Dilios, played by David Wenham in the first movie.

With this title revealed, though, I have a feeling it may focus a bit more on Xerxes (seen above), played by Rodrigo Santoro, who was the villain and leader of the Persian army in 300. In history, it was Xerxes' father Darius who fought the Battle of Marathon and then sent Xerxes to punish the Spartans for their victory. Why does Frank Miller think Greek myths are so popular in Hollywood recently? "Every generation returns to ancient Greece because, well, the stories are so damn good." He also said that during his research trips to Greece he realized that the myth and history overlap begins to blur, which adds to the storytelling allure.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/15/frank-millers-battle-of-marathon-300-prequel-titled-xerxes/

Offline L1mpk1d78

• ecchi
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
As much as I would like to think that this will be a awesome movie, something tells me to not get my hopes up too high. Most movie that are released as single movies dont tend to have great sequels/prequels.

Offline whiteleppard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
300 was ok, making a sequel to it wouldn't be a great idea.  I know I wouldn't rent it.

Offline Jsx

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • mmmm......
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
I really liked the filming style of fighting and the gore n action. it was lke expendables a thousand n hundreds of years ago.

hahah it was great, the sequel i wouldnt mind watching, as long as the actions there.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
Marathon would be kind of meh IMO. They should just do Themistocles whole life. He's a much more fascinating character than Leonidas I anyways. :yep:

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »
i just hope they aren't gonna be dressed like chipendales dancers in it  :thumbdown:

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - Over Load