JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T - Pay Day

Author Topic: The Web Browser Poll  (Read 77709 times)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
Re: The Web Browser Poll
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
I was trying out this browser called 'Sleipnir' for a while, but it doesn't cooperate well with LJ, so I removed it.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2009, 12:43:18 AM »
Back to Firefox now. Chrome had a nasty habit of hitting 100% bandwidth usage and disconnecting Skype and MSN.
ohhh bad chrome... i ♥ firefox

btw i'm using explorer because i'm using internet from a remote location (i mean a town in the middle of the nothing) and it sucks... no wonder i never use it.

Offline jhluva

• Member+
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »
I use Firefox. I used internet explorer for years and years but I like Firefox more now.
~*~HAPPY PRINCESS SPARKLES... OR SOMETHING~*~

Offline e_lo05

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »
firefox yo!

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »
At the Pwn2Own competition that just finished up recently, people competed to break in and exploit various browsers across all operating systems. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Mac's Safari all fell. Chrome didn't.

Browser security: Pwn2Own topples all but Chrome
Questions for Pwn2Own hacker Charlie Miller

Pwn2Own hacker Charlie Miller concerning Macs and Safari:
"It’s really simple. Safari on the Mac is easier to exploit.  The things that Windows do to make it harder (for an exploit to work), Macs don’t do.  Hacking into Macs is so much easier. You don’t have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you’d find in Windows.

It’s more about the operating system than the (target) program.  Firefox on Mac is pretty easy too.  The underlying OS doesn’t have anti-exploit stuff built into it."

Pwn2Own hacker Charlie Miller concerning Chrome:
"There are bugs in Chrome, but they’re very hard to exploit. I have a Chrome vulnerability right now but I don’t know how to exploit it. It’s really hard. They’ve got that sandbox model that’s hard to get out of. With Chrome, it’s a combination of things — you can’t execute on the heap, the OS protections in Windows and the Sandbox."

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »
Cool. I'm using Chrome now on my netbook - just because it makes the most efficient use of screen real estate.

Offline kosu

• The MegaPerv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Risa es la sal de la vida. Reina es mi reina.
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
FireFox .... but it crash when its ram usage went around 1.5GB .... (note: FireFox is 32 Bit ... so it can't use more RAM..)

it also crash when I use it for a long time ...... wtf

my PC is 64Bit and has 12 GB .... *banghead*

so I use IE8 simultaneously ..........

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:55:42 AM by kosu »

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »
I switched directly over from Netscape to Firefox probably close to 4 years ago and through a combination of no major problems and laziness, I've never really tried anything else since.

I have tried Minefield a couple times but I think thats just bleeding edge builds of Firefox.

Offline Yo Jimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2009, 04:35:22 AM »
Firefox. Default search bar uses Google so I don't have to go to the actual site. Oh and tabs. IE's tab system seems kinda clumsy to me. Next is Safari but only when I'm on macs.
Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the diehards

Offline WingZero84

• Member+
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »
 I think firefox is the best but I like IE more than it.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
I like Opera's new blocking feature. You can block Flash ads now, which you still can't seem to do with FF. I still use Firefox though.

Offline RoyMoy

• Member+
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2009, 05:06:10 AM »
I like Opera's new blocking feature. You can block Flash ads now, which you still can't seem to do with FF. I still use Firefox though.

You can download an add-on for firefox that blocks flash. Otherwise you can just disable plugins in the options but that disables other things (QT and java) and you can't use youtube. The Flash blockers I have seen allow you to selectively enable flash.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
Chrome 2.0 has fixed every complaint I had about it... you can go full screen.... and you can remove thumbnails from the new tab page. yet I still use Firefox XD lol...

anyone tried Safari 4? the screenshot looks interesting

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »
I use Opera but have to use IE for facebook apps as some of them don't work properly with Opera.

Recently I upgraded IE6 to IE7, then IE8.  Both IE7 & IE8 are totally useless so I downgraded back to IE6.
Both IE7 & IE8 have the annoying habit of forcing the window to the front when the page loads.  Facebook is so slow that I always have other stuff open in Opera, and facebook in IE.  I'll click a link in facebook then bring Opera up and continue doing stuff there, going back to facebook in a while when the page/app has loaded.  With IE7/8 this was impossible - I'd click the link in facebook then go to Opera and immediately IE would force itself to the front, then it'd freeze for several seconds because facebook uses too much flash or java or something and uses 100% cpu (the freezing isn't nearly as bad with IE6).  IE7/8 kept forcing itself to the front when I was trying to do other stuff in Opera, it was making a mockery out of multitasking so I downgraded back to IE6.

In short, if you have IE6 don't upgrade because IE7&8 is shit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:43:47 AM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline RoyMoy

• Member+
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2009, 04:09:40 AM »
I use Opera but have to use IE for facebook apps as some of them don't work properly with Opera.

Recently I upgraded IE6 to IE7, then IE8.  Both IE7 & IE8 are totally useless so I downgraded back to IE6.
Both IE7 & IE8 have the annoying habit of forcing the window to the front when the page loads.  Facebook is so slow that I always have other stuff open in Opera, and facebook in IE.  I'll click a link in facebook then bring Opera up and continue doing stuff there, going back to facebook in a while when the page/app has loaded.  With IE7/8 this was impossible - I'd click the link in facebook then go to Opera and immediately IE would force itself to the front, then it'd freeze for several seconds because facebook uses too much flash or java or something and uses 100% cpu (the freezing isn't nearly as bad with IE6).  IE7/8 kept forcing itself to the front when I was trying to do other stuff in Opera, it was making a mockery out of multitasking so I downgraded back to IE6.

In short, if you have IE6 don't upgrade because IE7&8 is shit.

Thats weird. I've never heard of a website that "steals focus" on one browser but not on another browser. Isn't that kind of behavior easily programed into javascript or something and will end up working on virtually any recent browser?

Honestly, it seems that IE6 days are numbered. I've seen websites here and there, that are dropping support for IE 6. Granted these websites tend to be visited mainly by the tech savvy "cool kids" who are probably using the latest version of x browser. Even microsoft is pushing holdouts to upgrade.

Offline ziggurat

• sweetsplash heartbeat
  • Member+
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »
This is relevant to this thread :lol:

IE6 denial message for Momentile.com

Jab <3 marimari <3 ChrNo~ your spirit shall live forever.. T_T || zgy@last.fm

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2009, 04:06:17 AM »
I'm still loyal to Firefox but I've been playing around with others lately, and damn, I wish Mozilla would do some MAJOR work to speed Firefox up. It works great but compared to others, namely the webkit-based browsers like Safari and Chrome, it is DOG SLOW.

Offline RoyMoy

• Member+
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2009, 04:54:06 AM »
http://www.chromeexperiments.com/

Cool javascript based hacks (no flash involved). My favorite is Starfield. Should work with recent versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari (possibly Opera).

Offline hiyokokun

• _.-= ERI ♥ AI =-._
  • Member+
  • i don't trust u
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
Opera is my fave. but for browsing i prefer to use Firefox.
I use Opera for torrent and saving pages into MHT format, i like my saved pages gather in 1 files.
Opera is good enough actually, what disappointing is that it doesn't support with hotmail and some website  :(

another thing what i like about opera is when i download something, opera shows where the address file is,
so i can copy that address into my download accelerator.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
another thing what i like about opera is when i download something, opera shows where the address file is,
so i can copy that address into my download accelerator.

You can do that on FF too. For some sites, I think. You just click the download link, go to the FF download progress window and check the properties of the file being downloaded, then it'll show you the address.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T - Pay Day