JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sunny Hill - Let`s Talk About (feat Zia)

Author Topic: [News] Two Chinese Girls To MORNING MUSUME!  (Read 63567 times)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
[News] Two Chinese Girls To MORNING MUSUME!
« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2007, 03:52:34 AM »
Well, Morning Musume has never been about girls that are perfect, let alone competent.  Honestly, how many of the girls started off as mediocre singers?  A lot of the charm of the being a fan is seeing them grow up and progress.  Jun Jun is sincere and Lin Lin is charming - it'll be fantastic seeing them learn a new language and adapting to a new culture and being part of something greater than themselves.

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
« Reply #401 on: March 21, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »
Quote from: chera;334566
Well, Morning Musume has never been about girls that are perfect, let alone competent.  Honestly, how many of the girls started off as mediocre singers?  A lot of the charm of the being a fan is seeing them grow up and progress.  Jun Jun is sincere and Lin Lin is charming - it'll be fantastic seeing them learn a new language and adapting to a new culture and being part of something greater than themselves.

B I N G O ! ! ! ! :ONglasses:

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #402 on: March 21, 2007, 04:36:57 AM »
Since when did this become "The Difficulties Inherent in Studying Japanese Thread"?  It really won't matter what their level of proficiency in Japanese is because the other girls will take up whatever slack they leave behind.  It's not like they'll be flying solo up there.  Until they become comfortable with being on TV and forcing themselves into conversations they'll just sit quietly in the background looking pretty, just like Aichan.  

I would also like to mention that I agree with mpz.  I believe all of you will have a different outlook on your current proficiency with Japanese once you get 3 or 4 years of solid study under your belt.  Until then, I suggest you look at the complexity of the sentences you're able to construct and the range/depth of topics you're able to discuss.  Let's make an experiment.  Pretend you just saw a movie that you enjoyed and want to tell a Japanese friend about it.  First think of how you would describe it in your native tongue and then try to do the same in Japanese. If it takes you a long time to form simplistic sentences that merely list events in a simplistic fashion, then you have quite a few more years of study before you can reach a natural and fluid speaking ability.  Oh, and speaking as someone who is proficient in both Japanese and Chinese, and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, any suggestion that knowing either language makes learning the other easier just sounds ignorant.  Chinese characters were introduced in Japan in the 8th century and since then both languages have developed rather independently.  It's like suggesting an English speaker would learn Vietnamese easily because they both use the Roman Alphabet.

Offline mpz

• Member+
« Reply #403 on: March 21, 2007, 04:40:15 AM »
Amen to that.

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
« Reply #404 on: March 21, 2007, 04:57:50 AM »
Again, and this is really the last time I write on the subject: I never said it was not difficult to learn, I said that given they have 1) the environment, 2) the help and 3) the motivation, it will be easier for them to learn and won't take them as long as it would being outside Japan. If still somebody thinks that nobody else given those conditions can learn faster than himself, then there's nothing I can do to convince him.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #405 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:14 AM »
Quote from: JaisBane;334598
Since when did this become "The Difficulties Inherent in Studying Japanese Thread"?

Page 8? :P

Sorry.

Offline misugi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #406 on: March 21, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »
Quote from: RionZ;334529
hmm....shuffle group in the works...

Reina, JunJun, LinLin are....PANDA! :D

hahaha...nice one there...

Offline RetsuMarippe

• Reina's Wonky
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2007, 05:36:48 AM »
and again...all we can do as fans is...to support them instead of criticizing them for being Chinese...it doesn't matter anymore on whatever nationality you belong to...it's the willingness & dedication of bringing joy to the fans is their mission...like the others have mentioned, it will take time for them (esp. junjun) to learn nihonggo...and I don't think Tsunku & the rest of MoMusu & H!P will let them study by themselves...they'll help them for sure.:pen_nod:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2007, 06:19:36 AM »
Hmmm. Ok. I guess I have to mod this thing:

Less talk about learning Japanese, more talk about the actual piece of news!

We'll see in a year's time who was right.

"Awesome modding, shirenu!"
"Thanks, I try"
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #409 on: March 21, 2007, 07:18:25 AM »
^ pads shirenu on shoulder :)

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
Some Boys! Blog reports that JunJun has updated her blog: http://someboys.wordpress.com/2007/03/20/junjun-strikes-back/

Offline jyukin

« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »
hrmmm .. LL can speak jap dy ... so there is no way she cant sing or speak in this few months time.

JJ ...  her cuteness kills alot ppl !!!  about her ability to adapt in Japan by culture or linguistic, I DO NOT HAVE DOUBT. Kanji's words were almost similar with Chinese.

Therefore NO doubt that this two will bring excitement to H!P  or even bring MM to those back day's glory!

JJ FTW~

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Happosai;333936
HENSHIN!

"TURTLE FORM!" XD XD

haha.. great joke u got there..

Quote from: RetsuMarippe;334511
what's imporant is all of us are studying nihonggo...whether taking classes or self-study...though the side-effect sometimes when we're fluently speaking nihonggo is our native language is kinda...snuggish...hehehehehe!~ :ONbigdeal:

it's a big deal.. some of my fren always laughting when i tried to use japanese.. sometimes that make me wanna stop.. but only for a sec.. still learn word by word every single day.. :ONluvluv1:

Quote from: RionZ;334529
hmm....shuffle group in the works...

Reina, JunJun, LinLin are....PANDA! :D

that's cruel.. they dunt hav enough 'cuteness aura' to be on the same level with reina.. :ONwahaha:

Quote from: RetsuMarippe;334654
and again...all we can do as fans is...to support them instead of criticizing them for being Chinese...it doesn't matter anymore on whatever nationality you belong to...it's the willingness & dedication of bringing joy to the fans is their mission...like the others have mentioned, it will take time for them (esp. junjun) to learn nihonggo...and I don't think Tsunku & the rest of MoMusu & H!P will let them study by themselves...they'll help them for sure.:pen_nod:

yes, i will support them until the 9th gen appear(changes happen).. :ONwhistle:

Offline RetsuMarippe

• Reina's Wonky
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
Quote from: nox_xie;334834
it's a big deal.. some of my fren always laughting when i tried to use japanese.. sometimes that make me wanna stop.. but only for a sec.. still learn word by word every single day.. :ONluvluv1:

yes, i will support them until the 9th gen appear(changes happen).. :ONwhistle:

been through that situation also, hehehehehe! but I don't give a damn on what other's will say...it's for our own good, not theirs...

as long as they need our support...we'll go for it!~ :ONcool1:

Offline yokoso

• ザ・ストレス~!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
I have to ask.. what is her blog's hp?!  No one seems to post any links...

That being said, I applaud her for her attempts to stand up for herself, but at the same time, she really might have said the wrong thing.. especially that bit about China... I'm more than sure will start a lot of shit.  It's like fuel in the flames.

愛をください〜!!:heart: :heart:  ☆ 恋文 ; a loveletter MUSIC DOWNLOADS & MORE ☆ (now back up 1/13/08)

Offline Ren

• ワーイε=ヾ(*・∀・)/
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a girl!
« Reply #415 on: March 21, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »
Wow, as a Chinese, thumbs up for her to say that.

But I doubt she posted it with the acknowledgement from UFA... Which might be a problem if UFA knows it.

I still like Linlin a lot more than Junjun, but Junjun is definitely raising some points in my book for defending the Chinese. Great, just great.

Offline RionZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #416 on: March 21, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »
JunJun has balls for stickin up to the negative wota naysayers...hopefully this doesn't have any repurcussions though

JunJun 4 laif~

Courtesy of the best, Miichan!

Offline Casper

« Reply #417 on: March 21, 2007, 04:27:34 PM »
chinese contributions that changed the world: stern post rudder, magnetic compass, gunpowder. in a year or so maybe jun & lin : ) hehehe.

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #418 on: March 21, 2007, 06:00:23 PM »
Oh my, I seem to be a little late to the party. In fact, 28 pages late (all of which i read, just to get caught up). It took a lot of strength not to throw out quips to all of the banter running back and forth, and I'm going to try to put my ideas into something coherent (at the risk of this post getting lost once more flood in). I'll preface this by saying that a lot of what i have to say echoes what jb already wrote, so please give that a read if you haven't already.

A number of points below will be based on my subjectivity. Feel free to reply or ignore, but at least read the first section, because I think it's the most important to the topic at hand.

On Nationality
The particular portion of pop culture we are talking about here in reference to H!P and Momusu needs to be understood as Idolism. Within it, the key point to success (and is marketed as such by the idols themselves) is physical appearance, namely cuteness, and additionally cute phrases or cute dances and anything that can generally be adapted to become cute. Nowhere in this formula is there a specification for nationality of the idol. However, it seems that within this brand of pop culture, Japan has really been the only country that has been able to spearhead its development. Naturally, the idols are Japanese, in accordance to be able to sell a product to a national audience. In this way, all of the idols of Momusu have been and are, up until now, Japanese.

If you recognize or take part in Idolism as a fan, you recognize the staggering reality that the majority of idols you know and love are Japanese. But Idolism never specified it, so the belief that Idolism must include "Japanese" is a misconception that stems from the fanbase. A few people (and perhaps it's only a few because it's JPH!P) seem to hint at the inability for Idolism to accept other nationalities. Just because you look at "Japan" and see "Idols", doesn't mean that when you look at "Idols" you always have to see "Japanese". If you believe someone of another nationality would not be successful, or would (more strongly) be detremental to the current state of Idolism, I submit that you have a jaded view of Idolism and Japan, and have an unwillingness to understand the two as two separate things.

On National Relations
Politics has little to do with Idolism. And in similar fashion, Idolism has little to do with Politics. Don't forget that.

Not all of asia hates Japan. There are certain things about Japan that are holding back certain parts of foreign relations from progress, and while propaganda may have more strength in China... Politics has little to do with Idolism.

Not all of Taiwan hates China. In fact, it's split almost 50/50, with the disagreements resulting from governmental policy only.

Also, don't get sucked into believing that a new cross-cultural Idolism will cure problems of Politics. I find it highly unlikely that the highest government officials will discuss matters of international policy based off of the latest pop-artist releases. Idolism has little to do with Politics.

On Li Chun and Qian Lin
Qian Lin knows basic Japanese. I would rate her at about 2nd year, with extensive experience within Japan. Li Chun has little if any. In the announcement video, you can catch a glimpse of Li Chun's narrator assisting in translation.

JunJun and LinLin are their nicknames. In Chinese culture, it is fashionable to create nicknames in this fashion of "cute", similar to Japan's "-chan". Considering H!P will need both Li Chun and Qian Li to warm up to the Momusu girls as soon as possible, it makes sense (to me) that they would use cute nicknames (as friends would do) rather than their formal names, in order to help bridge the gap.

If you feel that there is hidden xenophobia within the nicknames (such as equating them with the likes of Pandas), I believe that you are too enamoured with Japan, and know very little about other Asian cultures. Honestly, do you think H!P and Momusu are out to racially profile these two? H!P and Momusu need to make the girls feel welcome into the world of Idolism. The best way to do that is to use a level of communication that Li Chun and Qian Lin are familiar with. And their nicknames, which I'm sure are (the Japanese phoneticization of) their Chinese nicknames (albeit slightly different pronunciations), are the perfect way, irrespective of any pre-existing epithets about pandas. If you still think it has to do with pandas... that's your own misguided view.

This also applies to the video of . I personally find Mandarin to be a little bit harsh of a language when it comes to pop songs. Ballads and traditional songs sound beautiful, as it were. I will admit I agree Li Chun's singing isn't quite up to par, but I am not basing my judgement under the condition of only ever listening to Japanese music (because if somebody did, anything that wasn't Japanese would probably sound bad).

On the girls learning Japanese
Japanese borrow a slew of characters from Chinese. A number of the pronunciations of the words are based off of the approximation, in Japanese, of how a Chinese person would say it. Dictionary-level meaning is largely in-tact.

There are most certainly nuances that clearly separate the two languages. Japanese is as much a robust culture in its own as Chinese is, and the languages reflect that.

However, Li Chun and Qian Lin are out to become idols, not philosophers. The bulk of Japanese that will become most relevant to their career will consist of aishiteru, dakishimete, and other cute responses. I seriously doubt that any fan will ask them to ponder philosophically about various international issues (or what have you), so I wouldn't be worried about their ability to pick up Japanese.

For everyone else, let it be a message that Japanese is a beautiful and robust language that exposes a multitude of facets about Japanese culture, far beyond the realm of Idolism. If you're using H!P to get into learning Japanese, keep it in mind and use it as motivation. If you're continuing (as I am), then ganbattekudasai!

On Li Chun and Qian Lin in Momusu
I agree that Simmin was a litmus test. Some believe that introducing the two into the primary H!P group is too risky. Yes, on the one hand, it is very risky. But on the other hand, if Tsunku doesn't do something revolutionary, his flavor of music-and-dance Idolism is eventually going to collapse (and let's be honest, international fan support doesn't help very much because... well, at this point, H!P isn't exactly international). So, best-case-scenario: Li Chun and Qian Lin hit it big, H!P goes international within asia, Tsunku's flavor of Idolism survives, and even grows. Worst-case-scenario: well, it was going to go down anyway.

I agree with JB that Li Chun and Qian Lin will most likely return as ambassadors to China, and to begin something in the likes of a Hello! Project China. Although I don't think the timing is right. Two acts from China are not enough to return and open up an entire industry. You would need a larger group, more variety for the fans, something about the size of... the original Momusu! (who would've thought?). That said, I can't forsee Momusu taking on additional international idols. For one, it harms the investment of current fans who love their Japanese idols. For another, it sends a mixed message about the placement of Idol pop culture: will all Idols end up going to Japan? Most likely, I see Momusu becoming a sister-act to another Momusu-type group. Not subgroups or lesser acts, but equal, and with the second either returning to or touring internationally.

On the state of Idolism in Japan
With all of this said, I think we all need to recognize that Idolism isn't what drives Japan (in regard to the contention that Idolism is currently based in Japan). We may all happen to be fans of H!P, but that's the nature of this forum. In day-to-day life in Japan, you are hard pressed to find conversations about, or admissions of fandom to, H!P and Momusu... except perhaps within particular hot-zones (H!P shops, otaku areas, etc). Japan is a country with a robust culture of unimaginable magnitude, and believe it or not, Idolism is merely a sliver in the whole pie.

I think it is for this reason that current fans are as devoted as they are, especially international fans, considering the sliver of H!P to be a gem among everything else. But it is this type of devotion that can turn in against itself, creating things like xenophobia and childish flames online. In this regard, I see this "expansion" into China as doubly-beneficial: 1) it will help broaden the scope of Idolism, and it seems that China is hungry for such a product, meaning that Idolism as a concept can grow, and in doing so, 2) it offers recourse for the current fans to become reborn again into their fandom, understanding Idolism in a new way. In this way, it makes sense for Tsunku to invite the girls as "Exchange Students", rather than simply to build up a separate empire in China (isolated from Japan), and have it begin to fall apart as is happening (to one extent or another) in Japan.

With these considerations, I will end with...

On the state of the Fans
Perhaps the biggest problem fans of Idol figures face is a lack of recognition. You are afraid to go public, admit, divulge, and so on, about your fandom, out of fear of criticism or alienation. This varies from person to person, and location to location. But I would say that it's generally understood as a condition that exists as-is.

Well, wouldn't it be great if something could come along that could change Idolism in such a way that would give it more recognition, greater coverage, larger appreciation?

Well... wouldn't it?

That's all for now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:06:51 PM by thatguy »

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »
*squashed by text* I'll read it and reply afterwards
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sunny Hill - Let`s Talk About (feat Zia)