JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Geskia - Three Days Trial

Author Topic: (Artist) Utada Hikaru  (Read 221043 times)

Offline Seagull

• Ryo's lover <333
  • Member+
  • Soshified Shapley, E.L.F, Ryotard <3
Re: (Artist) Utada Hikaru
« Reply #440 on: March 04, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
THE "COME BACK TO ME" MUSIC VIDEO IS OUT!

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qym4mknidxg

She looks simply AMAZING in this one *_*

Just 10 days left until the album is realesed in Japan *_*

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »
^ Utada looks so beautiful in the PV :heart: Gold strapless dress? :drool:

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2009, 05:38:24 AM »
Thanks, Seagull!

>>Amazon Pre-order $8.99 !!!<<

-O_sLaVe
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline Seagull

• Ryo's lover <333
  • Member+
  • Soshified Shapley, E.L.F, Ryotard <3
« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
http://utada.jp/uicl1088.html

Preview of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI and Dirty Desire.

I just love Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI  :heart:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
Sounds good to me. Doesn't sound like it's gonna be Exodus Part II, which as I understand, is not how she wants it to be anyway. But no matter, the album looks promising.

But DD's lyrics! '"I sit and fantasise and in my fantasies, I love you long time" and "During my 9 to 5 I'm thinking 6 to 9". XD I thought "Workout" was a one-off but Hikki's got a dirty mind! XD

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #445 on: March 09, 2009, 06:21:30 AM »
^ Dirty Desire is :hump: fave song. Hikki trying to outsex BoA

$8.99 is pretty fucking cheap!

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
^ Farreal! but...for some reason... it says I'm getting it in May. Whadafa? Anyway, it's cheap as hell because the earlier you pre-order stuff on Amazon, the cheaper they are :D

Ugh, Don't compare BoA and Utada >.> It's so hard to choose who I value most awesome and who I support more... I mean, I love BoA just SLIGHTLY more, but it makes me feel guilty because Utada's freaking talented in other ways... Then I feel guilty for being guilty T_T it's a vicious cycle.

At around 2:00, there's Utada's reaction to BoA's American debut, so cool how she reacted....

-O_sLaVe
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:00:25 PM by Owaranai_sLaVe »

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #447 on: March 11, 2009, 03:56:52 AM »
This site has the full version of "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI" !
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Utada

And the site Seagull posted a few posts up the page has previews for every song on it now!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:44:48 PM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2009, 07:49:24 AM »
So...  a friend said he got a text from someone who heard her on a local hip-hop radio station here in Hawaii saying that she'll be doing a concert in May.

I can't find any info online and the radio website has zilch.  Maybe more info will trickle forth in the next few days.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
^ That would be mondo epic Brother! She needs to tour, do some club shows at least. Nothing on myspace either :/ http://www.myspace.com/thisisutada

Lovin that kiwibox interview SLAVE!! Like she didn't know BoA was releasing haha. Indeed. Music scene needs some pizazz, bring on the foreign invasion!

Ugh, Don't compare BoA and Utada >.> It's so hard to choose who I value most awesome and who I support more...

LMAO! Reminds me of when tama yelled at me for comparing Rika and Kobe (since she hates the Lakers). HEY! They're both polarizing alpha dogs.

Mar 24th eh? hope i can get it at the local record store. Island Def Jam STEP YO GAME UP!! Else, I'm a "preorder" the japan ver.

Here's a dope article:

Singer-songwriter Hikaru Utada is one of Japan’s biggest-selling pop stars, but she was born in Manhattan. The daughter of musician parents, she was raised in the East and the West, but her new album for the American market, This is the One, drops March 24 (the single “Come Back to Me” came out this month). Check out where she ate while promoting her latest work in this week's New York Diet.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #450 on: March 14, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »

+lyrics. This song and Dirty Desire were stuck in my headdddd all day.

the first album had weird sounds but the lyrics were great and made sense if you listened. the new album's songs have great sounding songs but you really have to think about the lyrics or else you'll call them weird...

Everyone knew that Utada had an inner freak in her :heart:

+lyrics

+lyrics "Love like- never before" <3

Rika and Kobe?! da hell :lol: I can't see it there... I like the Lakers!

Wasn't there some hate rumors between these two? They look friendly...

-O_sLaVe

Offline wakaba_doll

• kakkoi☆
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • forever...
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
Utada's new album is AMAZING  :heart:

Seriously, if she had half of BoA's promotion, the 'competition' would be over.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #452 on: March 16, 2009, 04:52:39 AM »
Okay, so I'm listening to Utada's album right now (I KNOW! I'M SICK! I CHEATED! UGH. Not for BoA though. I won't.) and it's good! Some parts of the song are so "WTF XD" cuz of the random lyrics. It's just so random. Or maybe the way she's singing it, it makes the lyrics sound like it doesn't fit the song.

I feel guilty for posting the dl link since this is coming out in stores everywhere anyway...
What to do...

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #453 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:06 AM »
I feel guilty for posting the dl link since this is coming out in stores everywhere anyway...
What to do...
PM it to whose who ask?
* ~Dan~ asks!
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #454 on: March 16, 2009, 05:46:34 AM »

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #455 on: March 19, 2009, 01:55:55 AM »
Utada- On And On FULL~
Song makes me want to go to the nearest club and just dance it up

Quote from: boajjang
Big in Japan just isn’t big enough for at least two Asian singers in 2009. Hikaru Utada (pictured) and Boa, two of Tokyo’s top-selling artists, are releasing English language CDs this month in an attempt to win over American pop and R&B fans.

For decades, Japanese music managers and American record labels have tried to crack the lucrative stateside market with top-selling artists, including Seiko Matsuda in the 1980s and Toshi Kubota in the 1990s. Each time, the endeavor invariably fails; last year, Universal didn’t even bother releasing an English-language record from one if its rising R&B stars, Ai, despite the fact that the singer was born in L.A., is fluent in English and can belt like Beyoncé.

While Boa and Utada are certainly not the first artists to dream of “making it” in the West, Utada’s “This Is the One” and Boa’s “The First Album” represent a potential watershed moment for Asian pop stars in America: Both offerings arguably surpass previous crossover attempts from the land of the rising sun.

Los Angeles-based record producer Joey Carbone, who has worked in Japan with singers such as Yuki Koyanagi and Crystal Kay, stated in an e-mail that "both records are good...Boa is a great dancer and a good singer. Utada is a very good singer and a great songwriter."

Kun Gao, CEO of San Francisco-based anime-centric website Crunchyroll.com, agrees that both are a cut above the usual Japanese exports.

“Both Boa and Utada are very popular, not only with world-wide audiences but also have extremely loyal and rapidly growing U.S. fans,” he said.

But the performers have their work cut out for them. “When Japanese and Korean singers have tried to have a hit in the U.S.," Carbone said, "they have changed their look and sound to try to appeal to the U.S. market, and it hasn't come across as real."

Boa and Utata are stars in Japan and beyond -- Boa is actually Korean and maintains a good-sized fan base in her native country, although her career is more prosperous in Tokyo, where she currently lives. Utada has sold more than 50 million records in Japan, and it looks as if “This Is the One” is yet another hit; she currently has the second top-selling download in Japan, according to iTunes, for her the first single, "Come Back to Me," off her all-English disc, which debuts here digitally March 24 (and physically May 12).

But winning over hearts in the Heartland won’t be easy for Utada; mainstream U.S. pop fans who listen to Top 40 radio stations such as KIIS-FM (102.7) are typically reluctant to embrace foreign stars they aren't used to seeing on Perezhilton.com or in the pages of Us Weekly, with notable English and Canadian exceptions.

However, Utada sees herself as more American than Japanese.

“I grew up in New York,” she said from Island Records’ Manhattan office earlier this week. “In Japan, I’m seen as a bit of a foreigner, but in America, I get comments like ‘Your English is so good.’ So in both places I’m a bit of an outsider, but I think that comes out in my music, and everyone feels like an outsider on some level. If people can connect with me there, that would be great.”

Although Utada’s been down this road before with another English language release aimed at U.S. listeners (2004’s “Exodus,” which sold fewer than 60,000 copies, according to Soundscan), this time the bilingual multi-instrumentalist seems to have found her true voice with a more focused effort.

Tracks such as “Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence (FYI)” overflow with confidence, hooks and hip-hop-inspired beats. The first single off the 10-song set, the piano-driven, vaguely Alicia Keys-esque “Come Back to Me,” only hints at the riches buried throughout the offering, which Tricky and the sought-after production duo Stargate produced. “Apple and Cinnamon” sounds like a cross between Kate Bush and a Prince outtake from “Around the World in a Day." And “Dirty Desire” might sound good in a club played between Lady Gaga and an old Vanity 6 tune. Almost the entire record is highly listenable, with risky but rewarding twists.

But, alas, Utada has a weak spot, and it might be her lyrics. Take, for example, “Dirty Desire.” While Utada claims the verses are tongue-in-cheek, it’s not clear that lyrics such as “And in my fantasies/I love you long time/Doing my nine to five/I'm thinking six and nine/I gotta make you mine” are ironic.

“My lyrics have a distinct feel and I don’t take myself too seriously,” she said. And what about her evoking perhaps the most odious sexual stereotype of Asian women, the “love you long time” phrase that crept into the urban vernacular after 2 Live Crew sampled a memorable scene from Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket”?

“I’m not easily offended, because I find humor in everything,” she said. “It’s not that different from a rapper saying, ‘Love you long time.’ I just happen to be an Asian girl. I can’t be afraid of what people think when I write.”

Utada has little to fear from her female fans, who may actually appreciate the racy content and the more thoughtful lyrics sprinkled throughout “This Is the One.” She's also won over at least one important male fan in the U.S., a potential advocate who could prove crucial to her success at radio.

“I was pleasantly surprised with Utada,” KBKS-FM music director Eric Tyler said from Seattle on Wednesday after hosting her in-studio. " 'Come Back to Me' makes me raise an eyebrow."

In contrast to Utada’s radio blitz spearheaded by Island Records (apparently, L.A. Reid is a fan and wants to break Utada urgently this year), Boa is taking her music directly to the streets and clubs of America. The South Korea-born singer, who released her debut English disc Tuesday, is hitting Los Angeles and Las Vegas hard in support of “First.”

“In America, Asian society is really big," the heavily accented singer said earlier this month at her L.A. showcase. "They have supported me a lot.” The trilingual singer may not have the backing of a major U.S. label, but she may end up the bigger star in the long run, thanks to infectious dance floor stompers such as “Eat You Up” that should make Britney Spears jealous. The tune was, in fact, cooked up in Copenhagen by Danish songwriters Remee and Thomas Troelsen and fine-tuned at Bloodshy & Avant's studio in Stockholm, where Spears’ vocals have flowed through monitors many a time.

But Boa will need more than Britney-style beats and Asian American fans if she hopes to ever break outside of Asia. At her showcase, a representative from Snoop Dogg’s team was talking with Boa’s representatives, apparently interested in a collaboration (nothing has been confirmed yet, both camps say). Boa will certainly need a high-profile collaboration to make a splash in the States, despite a stellar record full of potential hit songs, including a duet with Sean Garrett, "I Did It for Love".

But even with Garrett, Snoop Dogg, Justin Timberlake or some other champion on her side, Boa may go only so far. “I believe that Boa has a better chance of selling in the U.S. [long term], but I do not think she will ultimately be very successful," Carbone said. "The field of female solo artists doing that exact same type of track is so saturated, there's no room for someone like Boa, a virtual unknown in the U.S. It's just too difficult for her to distinguish herself against everyone else that do similar tracks.”

Regardless, count on Boa and Utada to keep trying well into the next decade. The U.S. just might be big enough to find room for both in its collective pop-music heart.

-- Charlie Amter

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog...-boaset-si.html

-O_sLaVe
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:52:11 AM by Owaranai_sLaVe »

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #456 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
Woo I can listen to it!  :cow:

Awesome Guchi_Jnr!
Also nice to paste that article slave. It discussed some things I wondered about.

So to be a real hikki fan I should order her album!

And yeah, hikki and boa cannot really compare. Maybe like hikki her style more too...

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
I DIGGING THE NEW SOUNDS...my thoughts reviews later. But ... I love the sound cuz it's more like her. something she ain't. and the lyrics are so geeky XD

I was checking my email after some Fantasy Sports shiznit....

Come Meet Utada!!

Yeah, I'm looking at you Ping and Rei.rev.07  :P

Utada will be appearing at the following Sephora Locations:

Sephora Hollywood & Highland
Tuesday, March 24 - 6-8PM
6801 – Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028

Sephora 5th Avenue
Wednesday, March 25 - 6pm-8pm
597 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Sephora South Beach
Friday, March 27 - 7-9pm
721 Collins Ave
Miami, FL 33139

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #458 on: March 25, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »
Awww sucks Rei.rev! Or Loser87. Who else is in NYC. I hope Ping recovered from being in Raekwon's music video XD

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
I'm going to try REALLY hard to go. Like SERIOUSLY hard. My friend Jo told me about it even though her greedy bitch friend told her not to... So her greedy ass friend told Jo the wrong info on purpose and Jo ended up telling me to fake me out. Luckily my friend Jo will be able to go cuz Greedy reserved spots for the both of them.

If I do get to go, I'll have to wait outside and all I get to do is scream and whatnot :(

-O_sLaVe

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Geskia - Three Days Trial