JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Secret - Sexy

Author Topic: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)  (Read 83858 times)

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2007, 02:52:35 AM »
Sevii: thanks!  Glad you're enjoying the ride.  Hope you get your jaw issue sorted out soon.  Hahaha.  And no, I don't think Sayu is going to make a surprise appearance.  I think you're right.  It's probably the last think Miki needs.

No worries, ChiruChaCha.  Although when I read your post, it was my turn for my jaw to drop.  I think I might've also said "shut up, ChiruChaCha!" out loud. Haha.  Actually, I enjoy it when people guess what's going to happen.

It was a bit difficult to decide to get Aya to tell Miki now, but the story is 20 chapters and I thought it was time for conflict between our two girls (and look: no death!).

Offline Sevii

• Member+
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2007, 03:35:23 AM »
It was a bit difficult to decide to get Aya to tell Miki now, but the story is 20 chapters and I thought it was time for conflict between our two girls

100 CHAPTERS OF LOVEY DOVEY FLUFF IS FINE.

(and look: no death!).

...yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:36:41 AM by Sevii »

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2007, 04:23:08 AM »
Doctor-ish? Hiroshi wanted to become a doctor... But, can it really be him? xD
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:24:17 AM by Amarghetta »

Offline joyce

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2007, 05:30:55 AM »
this mysterious person is causing pain in my head. 

hehe, just caught up with your series.  i really like how you use tension and suspense...here, and the other death ones too.  props*

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Amarghetta, I'm surprised you remembered that.  You have a good memory for detail.

If anyone else mentions death again, I'll kill off Aya, Miki, and Shiba-chan.  I'm serious!!  (Hah!)

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »

If anyone else mentions death again, I'll kill off Aya, Miki, and Shiba-chan.  I'm serious!!  (Hah!)

death!

sorry, I just had to ^^

Last chapters felt like watching a dorama XD

And about Miki's mystery savior I'd say it's either Aya or Kuni-chan (or both) or Aya and Shiba-chan.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:32:43 PM by coachie »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »
Haven't seen you in a while, Coachie!  Just for you:

Requiem for Three

I wake up choking.

"We're losing her," mutters a distant voice above me.

It's low.  A man's voice.

"Stop being so dramatic.  She's just coughing," says another voice.

A woman's voice.

I cough and hack and clear my throat, massive amounts of phlegm piling up in my mouth.  I flip onto my side and spit.

"She's spitting on the floor.  Get her a bucket," the man orders.

I continue to cough and spit as a yellow basin is placed under me.  I spit into that.  When I'm done, I lie on my back, close my eyes, and fall asleep.

And that's the last mistake I will ever make.  Some time later - who knows how long - my windpipe becomes clogged up with phlegm.  I cough in my sleep, but I don't wake up to clear my throat.  The phlegm sits there, blocking air from coming to my lungs.  It's all very painless because I'm asleep.  One minute I'm living and breathing, the next I'm dead.

Dead.

I have died.

I know this because once I've passed through that black tunnel and stepped into the white light, I'm hovering above my body, looking down at it.  I feel great.  Ethereal, but not sick.  I have perfectly clear vision.  I can see myself lying on the bed, a thin line of drool running down from the corner of my mouth.  My eyes are closed.  I look peaceful.

I float up and look at the room.  It's Aya's room.  I make my way to the door.  I'm half flying, half hovering, half bouncing.  It's weird.  I float out of the door and see two people sitting in the living room.  One is Aya.  The other is Hiroshi.  I move in close to them.  I know that they can't hear me.  I'm dead.

The strange thing about being dead is that once you're in that state, you know it and you accept it.  It's not like that movie Ghost that my cousin has forced me to watch three times.  There's no crazy "oh dear, what's going on?" moment.  You simply know that you're dead.  I am one hundred percent dead.

"I hope she's okay," Aya says.

She's sitting on the couch, hugging her knees to her chest.

"She'll be fine," Hiroshi says, perhaps a little gruffly.

He's got to be pretty mad at Aya for stealing his girlfriend away from him.  What is he doing in her apartment?

"I'm going to go check on her," Aya says nervously, starting to get up.

Hiroshi reaches out and puts a firm hand on Aya's shoulder to stop her.  Then feeling awkward, he takes it away.  Aya sits back down.

"She's fine.  Let her rest."

Oh, Aya.  Don't go into that room.  You're going to get such a shock... I think.

I start to cry a little.  Ghosts can cry.

I'm going to miss her.

Hiroshi crosses his arms and clears his throat.

I'm going to miss him, too.  I'm going to miss them both.  Two people that I love.

I hope neither of them ever go into that room.

They sit in silence, and I hover and watch.

Finally, Aya gets up again.

"I'm going to go and check up on her."

Hiroshi doesn't try to stop her this time.  I float in front of her.

"Don't go," I whisper.  "Don't go into that room, Aya.  Please don't."

But of course she can't hear me.  She can't feel me.  I can't move pennies to inform her of my presence.  Whoopi Goldberg's not going to come and help me out.

Aya walks into the room.  I can hardly stand to follow, biting my lip the whole time.

She doesn't notice anything strange at first.  The lighting in the room is dim.  She looks down at my body's face, even snickers at the drool, and wipes it away with my own pyjama shirt.

Ew.  Is that what she's always done?  Wiped my drool away with my own clothes?  She could at least find a cloth...

Then she notices something.

"Miki?" she asks.

My body, of course, does not reply.

"Miki??"

She puts her hand on my chest.  She puts her ear to my mouth.

"Hiroshi!!" she screams.

Hiroshi races into the room as Aya starts shaking my body.

"She's not breathing!"

Hiroshi pushes Aya aside and checks for my pulse and my breath.  He looks terrified when he can't find either. 

"Call the paramedics!" he yells.

He starts to yell in my body's ear as Aya, frozen with fear, stares.

"Call an ambulance!!" he yells angrily, making Aya snap to attention.

She runs to the phone and makes the call.  I watch Hiroshi work on my body.  He's checking my mouth, clearing it out, giving me artificial respiration...

It's not going to work, I think sadly.  I'm already out.

He doesn't stop, and I go to kneel by him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you for trying, though.  I'll always love you for that."

He doesn't feel or hear me.

He continues to work, trying every possible trick he's learned to revive me.

Aya comes back into the room.  She's in hysterics.

"What's happening?  Why isn't she breathing?  How did this happen?  We only left her for a minute.  I knew I should've checked on her befo-"

"Shut up," Hiroshi mutters.

I get up and go over to Aya, hugging her.

"Just go and sit in the living room.  Don't watch this.  I don't want you to see it."

She doesn't feel or hear me.

She continues to watch, tears starting to form in her eyes.

Stop watching.  I love you too much to let you see this.

An eternity passes and a knock comes at the door.  Aya rushes to it, and the paramedics run in.  They force Hiroshi and Aya out of the room and start to do the exact same thing Hiroshi just did.

To no avail.

Hiroshi and Aya stand at the doorway trying to peer in, but they're shut out.

"Please, have a seat," says one paramedic.

Offering Aya a seat in her own home.  Now that's funny.

Time passes.  I don't watch the resuscitation attempts.  I watch Hiroshi and Aya.  I reminisce over the memories we have together.  I hope that they can reconcile whatever differences they may have between them.  I wonder how Hiroshi got into contact with Aya, although I guess there are lots of ways to come across people.  He must've come to Tokyo to search for me.  Well, he found me.

I watch them as one of the paramedics comes and tells them I didn't make it.  I start to cry as they both cry.  I watch my body being wheeled away.  Aya tries to follow me, but Hiroshi holds her back, and she turns and sobs into his chest.

Hey, watch it there, buddy.

He'd better not be trying to make a move on her.

I sigh and laugh it off.  Death has given me quite the attitude.  I can laugh at my death and make light of the reactions of my friends.  Cold, but what else can I do?  I can't go back to life.  I have to make death easier for myself with humour and jokes.

They spend the day together.  They don't say a word.  They just sit there.  I sit in between them on the couch.  There's just enough room for the three of us.  I look from one to the other and I wonder for the billionth time how I can love two people who are so different.

Hiroshi finally gets up to leave.

"Where are you going?" Aya asks desperately.

"I have to go," he mumbles blankly.  "I need to go back home and tell everyone."

Where is he going to get a plane ticket at this hour?  Silly boy.  He should spend the night and go back tomorrow.  But he's not thinking straight, and that's understandable.

"Don't go," Aya begs him, but he's made up his mind.

"I have to."

"But I don't want to be alone," Aya whispers in a terrified voice.

He gives her a look.  A kind of "well, that's life" look.  Maybe he's thinking that she doesn't deserve his help.  After all, she took me away from him and left him all alone.  Although that's a little different.  There was no death involved in that.

"Thank you.  Goodbye," Hiroshi says, and he walks out.

At least he's polite.  Saying thank you for the stay.

Aya sits back down and hugs a pillow, crying softly.

I know what's going to happen before the idea even starts to form in her mind.

"No, don't," I mutter, but it's too late.

She gets up and rummages around her closet.  She finds painkillers and alcohol.

"Don't be an idiot, Aya.  Don't be an idiot.  Don't don't don't don't..."

She tips a bottle of painkillers into her mouth and chases it down with whiskey.

I don't know why Aya has whiskey in her apartment.  She doesn't even like it.  Maybe it was a gift.

She rummages around for more pills while looking like she's going to be sick.  She finds other sorts of medicines and takes all of them.  She grimaces as they go down, and soon enough, she's consumed the entire fifth of whiskey.

"You idiot.  This isn't going to solve anything.  Don't do this."

I start to cry a little.  I can't help her.  If she dies, all I can do is watch.

She starts to sway around.

"Miki... if I... you can't be alive... then in death... we're together... yeah..."

She falls over, hitting her head on the corner of a table.  She's out cold.  I kneel down beside her and cry.

"Why'd you do this, Aya?  Why?"

In death, we are also given knowledge.  Knowledge about the workings of death.  My knowledge is this: Aya and I won't meet in death.  Because she has willingly taken her own life, she - or her ghost, if you prefer - will exist in a different plane.  In short, we'll wander the same places, but we'll be invisible to each other.  No psychics.  No pennies.  No communication.

I sit and wait.  I listen for Aya's breathing.  I can't hear any.

I sigh and touch her forehead.

"Stupid," I say gently.  "But at least you loved with all your heart."

I sit on the floor and wait.  In death, I've turned into a patient person.  I wait a day and a half before someone notices that Aya's incapacitated.

Fittingly, it's Shibata that makes the discovery.  She comes to the door one day and eventually gets in.  I guess that means she has the other spare key.

She sees Aya lying on the floor and freaks out.  She can tell, though, right away that Aya's not alive.  She calls the police, and the same process is repeated.  They come in, poke and prod at her body, and then announce to Shibata that there's nothing they can do.  There are lots of questions, and I feel sorry for Shibata to have gotten involved in all this.  I decide to follow her out.

Shibata has a good, smart head screwed onto her shoulders.  She doesn't off herself.  A truck takes care of that for her.  As she's walking home from the police station in a daze, she doesn't pay attention to the streets, and she walks right through a red light and right into a speeding truck.

I gasp and yell out her name, but of course she doesn't hear me.

The rules of death dictate that victims of car accidents will not meet those that die in the throes of sickness.  I will never speak to Shibata again.

Chaos ensues, and the next day, the three of us make headline news.

Three girls dead in series of tragic accidents.

Aya's death is not labelled a suicide.  Someone must've paid a lot of money to get information like that concealed.  I'm glad, though.  Nobody would understand that she did it because she loved me so much.  Also because she was stupid and crazy.  But mostly for love.

And so I'm left alone in Tokyo.  The rest of my death I shall spend all alone.

That is why we dead need a sense of humour.  For if you don't have one, you go insane.

Why?

Because death lasts slightly longer than your average life.

Death lasts for eternity.

===

I don't make empty threats.  I wrote this story because you were all asking for it. :lol:  But this chapter has absolutely no weight in this story.  Please forget it happened.  I repeat, it is not part of my story.

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
Hehehehehe :lol:
NEVER DO THIS AGAIN YEAH?!!!! You freaked the hell out of me!!! :angry1: :OMG: :scolding: :mon cweepy:
Man man man....^^
Well nice 'SAD' chap anyway^^
hoho xD

:shifty:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:38:25 PM by Gomaki »

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2007, 04:37:35 PM »
What so is there gonna be more or is more of  a slap-in-the-face kinda ending?
Mikan is so confused....  :bleed eyes:

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »
Hahaha, it's a slap in the face, but not an ending.  Chapter 20 will be posted as if this interlude never happened.

Gomaki, I'll never do it again!

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
Hahaha, it's a slap in the face, but not an ending.  Chapter 20 will be posted as if this interlude never happened.

Gomaki, I'll never do it again!

:hee: :whistle: :mon thumb:
goood!~^^
 :lol:
Oh wait...can I / We trust that? :lol:
Never mind~    :D

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2007, 07:20:40 PM »
I skipped all the comments and went straight to the story, reading it open mouthed. Then I noticed the note at the bottom, read the comments and then the story again. And then I started to giggle. It was this freaked out little sound that made my dog look at me funny and I realized that you actually killed a little part of my sanity. So thank you, sincerely, because sanity is for saps.

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »
Amarghetta, I'm surprised you remembered that.  You have a good memory for detail.
Ha, I'm surprised myself... But, honestly, I don't think it's him.  :roll: Oh, nice interlude, btw. It was fun to read.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:16:25 PM by Amarghetta »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2007, 02:49:06 AM »
...and I realized that you actually killed a little part of my sanity. So thank you, sincerely, because sanity is for saps.
Hah, cool.  My pleasure.  What's your dog's name?

Back to the regular story.  Please remember that Requiem for Three did not happen.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »
Chapter 20

At some point while being roasted and frozen simultaneously, I woke up.  I opened my eyes, my vision clearer than it had been before.  I was only looking at a white ceiling, but there were no black spots on it.  My head pounded with the same intense headache, however, and my body felt useless.  It burned with pain.

I blinked a few times and turned my head slightly.  I felt something.  Someone was watching me.  I came eye to eye with a familiar face that often greeted me like this in the morning.

"Aya," I mumbled, my voice weak.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

She was sitting on the bed looking down at me, hands folded in her lap patiently.

"What happened?" I asked, ignoring her question because I didn't want to tell her that I still felt like I was going to die any minute.

She explained to me slowly that Kuniko had called me early in the morning and had gotten scared by my answer.  She'd called Aya to find out what was going on after I didn't pick up any subsequent calls.  Aya had rushed down to the station, met with Kuniko (who had run from 7-Eleven), and found me.  They'd lugged me into a taxi cab, and had taken me back to Aya's place.

"Where'd Kuni-chan go?" I mumbled, looking around the room.

"She left right when we got here.  She had to work.  I told her I'd take care of you and call her with an update."

I tried to remember all this happening, but I couldn't.  I remembered a phone call and hanging up on someone.  I remembered someone dragging me into a car.  I remembered a shower.

"I had to almost physically kick her out of here.  She insisted that she wouldn't leave your side until you woke up.  That is one obsessively loyal girl."

"She's a Scorpio," I said offhandedly.

Aya mouthed an "oh".

So Kuniko had been that worried about me.  Worried enough to run over from work, where she had no doubt called from, and be willing to skip work to stay by my side.  But how genuine was it?  I didn't get to ask.

"Where did you sleep last night?" she asked.

"Where you found me."

I was too tired to make up stories or excuses.  She looked at me with a disapproving frown, but then it quickly melted into one of concern.

"You scared me."

I was still waking up and trying to figure out what this apprehensive feeling at the back of my mind was.  I had forgotten what had happened and needed to remember.

I had woken up by the station covered in snow this morning, and then I'd ended up here in this apartment.  Before that was last night.  What had I done last night?  Last night I'd gone to a family restaurant and had tea.  And before that... I had argued with Aya.  I had argued with her because...

Because she had used me.  Used me to replace some other person that was not me.

But it all seemed so trivial now.  All I wanted to do was lie down.  I wanted to give up.  I just wanted to not feel the way I did.  Trampled on and dragged through the mud.  I wanted to sleep until we grew two years older and no longer cared for each other so that we could part amiably and maybe keep in casual touch by going for coffee twice a year.

It suddenly hit me that it was Monday.  We both had to work.

"Why aren't you at work?" I asked weakly.

"I cancelled everything after I brought you here.  You're in no condition to be alone."

I tried to thank her.  Even if she had treated me badly in other respects, she had still somewhat saved my life, and I was a polite person.  However, I couldn't manage to get the word past my lips.  I felt weak from sickness and from relief.  Relief that I wasn't going to freeze to death outside.  Relief that Aya wasn't mad at me for storming out after calling her a crazy, perverted freak. 

I lay there with just enough energy to keep my eyes open to look at her.  Then, with no warning and no control over my actions, tears started to form and spill out of my eyes.  My face didn't change its expression much.  I cried like that because I was too tired to do anything else.

I was grateful that she had at least cared enough to come after me and bring me to her apartment.  I was upset because of what she'd done to me all these months.  I felt helpless because I didn't know what to do.  I couldn't move my body enough to take care of myself.  I couldn't figure out what exactly Aya had been thinking since she met me.

I blinked a few times, causing more tears to pour out.  Aya brushed some of my tears away with her fingers and then went out to fetch a tissue, gently wiping my cheeks and my ears with it.  I lay there without resisting, crying in front of her for the second time since I had met her.

My eyes stopped watering gradually, and I stared up almost blankly, my head spinning, my whole body feeling like my blood had been replaced by liquid lead.

"Aya-" I mumbled powerlessly.

I wanted her to take care of me.  My mother wasn't here to do it.  I had nobody.  Nobody but Aya.  I wanted to ask her to stay with me for a while until I got better.  Then I could storm off again.

She bent her head down, putting her ear to my mouth to listen to what I had to say, but I had no more energy to even think of how to phrase my request.  I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

I alternated between sleep and semi-consciousness.  A few times when I was partially awake, I could hear Aya speaking.  Sometimes I heard and saw no sign of her.  Other times I could sense her sitting in the room and watching over me.  Sometimes I awoke shivering and others I awoke sweating.  I couldn't remember everything that happened when I was awake, though.  I had the feeling that I spoke a little, but maybe I didn't.

When I finally fully woke up, I felt sick to my stomach, and so I stood up, Aya nowhere in sight, walking to the washroom on wobbly legs that didn't feel like my own.  When I got there, I knelt down by the toilet and waited.

"Miki?" asked a voice from the darkness.

I looked up and out of the washroom to see Aya walking from the kitchen with a glass of some drink.

"What's the matter?"

I gave her one look of desperation and she understood.  She hurriedly put her glass down and came to stand by me.

"Don't worry," she comforted me.

In the end, nothing happened that time.  No violent regurgitation of the latest meal I'd eaten.  The nauseous feeling left me, replaced by the pain of my pounding headache.  Aya led me back to the bed and covered me with warm blankets until I thought my body would either roast to death in the heat or collapse from the weight.

"Do you need anything?" she asked, her voice sounding like it was in another section of the city.

I shook my head once and fell asleep.

I slept for seven hours and woke up the next morning.  I felt like I'd been run over with a truck, beaten with a stick, and chewed up by a giant dog.  However, I didn't feel nauseous, and my pounding headache had been reduced to an occasional dull throb.

I turned my head slightly and saw the top of Aya's head.  She was sitting on the floor, leaning up against the bed, her legs stretched straight in front of her, arms crossed.

"Hey," I croaked.

I was parched. 

She didn't hear me, and I moved a hand and tapped her.  Her head jerked up and she looked over her shoulder, her eyes bleary.  She must have fallen asleep some time ago.

"You're awake," she said in surprise.  "What's wrong?"

I shook my head once to tell her nothing was wrong.  She let out a small breath of relief.

"Do you want something to drink?"

I nodded once, and she got up quickly, getting me a glass of water.  I sat up in bed and drank the whole thing, holding it out for more.  She got me a refill, and I gulped all of that down, too.

"Thank you," I said, able to speak properly once again.

Aya felt my forehead.  I remembered that action from the day before.

"You still have a fever," she observed.

I felt my own cheeks.  They were hot.

"What happened?" I asked again, hoping for a more detailed update.

"You've been delirious for twenty-four hours," she explained.  "You kept mumbling in your sleep and crying on and off a lot."

I'd cried many times?  I only remembered crying once.

"I think some sort of virus was already in you, and sleeping out in the cold made you vulnerable.  I called your bosses and let them know you were sick."

I hoped they'd understand.

"What about your work?" I asked.

She had said the day before that she'd called in, but what about today?  She was supposed to go in again, was she not?

She waved it off.

"They were pretty lenient about it.  In addition to the two metres of snow out there, they felt bad about losing my recordings the other day.  I explained that you had nobody else to take care of you.  And, I, um, exaggerated your illness."

"Sorry."

"No, not at all."

We fell into a silence.  We were both thinking about the argument we'd had before I'd stormed out.  We had to broach the subject eventually.

"Two metres of snow?" I asked, forestalling the inevitable conversation.

"Well, not quite," came the admission.

She walked over to the window and drew open the curtain.  I got up and crawled on the bed over to the window.  Sure enough, the buildings and streets were covered in white.  Apparently it had snowed right through Monday.  It was nowhere near two metres, but it was beautiful.  And it looked cold.  Had I actually slept out there?  No wonder I'd felt like I was going to die.  Aya pulled the curtains shut again.

"It's chaos out there.  Lots of train lines have shut down and all flights are grounded.  I went to a store last night and only one person had made it for his shift."

I lay back down under the covers and issued the appropriate sounds to indicate I was listening.

"But you don't have to worry.  You're warm here.  We've got heating-"

I sighed and interrupted her.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" she demanded back quickly as if she had been expecting that question from me.

"Well... because yesterday - no - the day before yesterday... I yelled at you, and... I'm supposed to be mad at you.  And I don't want you to treat me nicely just because you're thinking of someone else."

Her face turned serious.

"I meant what I said before.  You're not a replacement.  Not even close."

I closed my eyes, too weak to jump up and yell at her.

"You and that other person aren't separate people.  You're the same person, okay?  I figured it out.  It's not the person that's different.  It's just the circumstances.  The environment.  I let go of any expectations, though, that I had left of you by my last night up there.  I wouldn't have allowed myself to do anything to you until I was absolutely sure that you were the only person that I... I don't know.  That I really wanted," she said, her voice wavering.  "I may be crazy, but I'm not a liar."

I opened my eyes and tried to see the truth in her eyes.  They looked sincere.  Then again, they'd looked sincere the first night we'd met and I'd introduced myself to her.  She must have been lying then.  She'd already known my name, she claimed.  All those times she'd reacted to the things I told her, she hadn't really been surprised or learning something new about me.  She had been confirming things she already knew.

But there had been some genuine moments.  Like when I told her I'd missed my university entrance exam twice and how I was studying bookkeeping and economics.  She hadn't known about those things before.

"No matter who you are," she continued, "and no matter how much money you make and what kind of job you have, you'll always be Miki.  The one I know and love."

There was that genuine look in her eyes.  But was it really real?  Could I rely on it?  I just couldn't tell.

I started to feel dizzy again, and I brought a hand up to cover my eyes to try and make it stop.  I was at a loss over what to say.

"You believe me, don't you?" she asked softly.  "That I don't care whether you're rich and famous or not?"

I took my hand away from my eyes, my dizziness momentarily stopped.  I kind of nodded without meaning to.

Had I overreacted the other night?  I had every right to be angry - and I certainly still was - but maybe I hadn't been entirely correct in my assumptions.  Maybe she really did feel something for me, not that other me.

The other me.

It wasn't fair.  If what Aya was saying about there being another version of me, then the things she'd done - her accomplishments and her fame - would precede me wherever I went.  People would continue to make judgements about me before knowing me.  The other Miki's enemies would automatically become my enemies, while her friends - her Aya - would be drawn to the things about their friend that they saw in me.

I didn't want that.  Maybe Aya could convince me that she loved me and not someone else who looked like me.  She'd taken the time to get to know me.  But people like Tsuyoshi and Katherine, with whom Aya said the other Miki had gotten along... Would they have liked me as much if they'd met me without having that mysterious sense of familiarity?  Would I have had a chance to be on good terms with Ohashi and Kuniko the Lesser if there'd been no other Miki?

"You said you didn't expect anything from me," I said quietly.  "But when I got here, you expected me to do all these things.  You encouraged me to take that job at U-Con so that I'd get discovered by my boss..."

I wanted to believe her so badly when she said she didn't expect me to be like the other Miki, but there was too much. Too much...

Aya tilted her head to the side in thought.

"I won't lie and say that the thought of you being discovered never entered my mind.  But I was just trying to help you with your dream.  Besides, I knew that it would be a good place to work.  Tsuyoshi-kun and Katherine-san are good people.  I knew you'd like them."

Could I trust her when she said this?  I looked into her big eyes and saw not a hint of dishonesty or uncertainty.

I might not be able to forgive her completely.  Not yet.

But maybe I could take this as truth.  This little bit.

I smiled ever so faintly, but the echo of cheerfulness left me right away.

"So now what?  What do I do?  Will people keep thinking they know me?  Will I be pre-judged everywhere I go?"

Did she understand how unfair that was?  How utterly miserable I would be if I could have no opportunities to makes friends because of who I was?  Make no career advances based on my own merit?  I didn't want to live my life with one foot in the shoe of someone who shared my name, my face, and a few character traits, but who wasn't ultimately me.

"This is the life you're living now.  You can overcome those things if you try.  Make the most of it."

So those were Aya's words to me?  Just suck it up and deal with it?  Play your crappy hand because it's the only one you'll be dealt?

"But it's not fair," I insisted, growing stronger with my desperate anger at the world.  "Why do I have to deal with this problem?  God, it's not even a legitimate thing I can tell other people."

She stayed silent as I grew infuriated.

"It's not fair how if I tell my parents or Nakanoko-chan or even Hiroshi, they'll lock me in an insane asylum.  It's not fair, Aya!  It's not-"

"How do you think I feel about it?" Aya snapped sharply.  "I went through the same thing, but even worse.  I lost the person most important to me."

She didn't slap me, but she may as well have.  I shut up.  Of course.  Aya's world had changed, too.

"I didn't choose for it to happen to me either, and I sure as hell don't think it's fair, but I made do and tried to fix it, okay?  I put my job - my entire career – on the line to travel across the country to find you.  Stop being so selfish and spoiled.  You're not the only one with problems."

Shaken, I lay there staring at the ceiling, reflecting on my hasty complaints.  Aya had suffered a lot more.  At least I had had a choice whether to give Hiroshi up or not.  I had had choices in everything I'd gained or lost.  She had had no choice.  Her entire life had changed.

"Sorry," she said quickly, perhaps rattled by my silence.  "I've- it's been rough, okay?  Those two months.  Seeing you all the time while not being to tell you anything.  It was torture."

She'd done an amazing job of keeping it covered it up.

"No, I'm sorry," I mumbled.  "I didn't think about your feelings."

It must have killed her when she learned about Hiroshi and when she wished me bon voyage when I went to spend Christmas with him.

"So we've both been affected," Aya said, walking over to the window again and drawing the curtain, standing and looking out at the snowy landscape.  "Why can't we go through it together?  Don't you think that's what we're supposed to do?"

I looked at her looking out the window.  She had her arms crossed and the light from outside lit her whole front side up.  She looked like a bright angel.  I could see no weakness in her.  She was dealing with her problems like she said I should, and she was holding it together.

Everyone in her life had changed.  Even one of her best friends, Shibata, had changed.  Her family, too, would all be different.  Could I keep going if the change had been like that for me?  If I'd lost Hiroshi like that, what would I have done?  Would I have taken off to find him?  Would I have only told Nakanoko-chan while praying she didn't lock me up in the loony bin?  Would I have been able to be simply his friend if I'd found him in some far off city with another girl?

Probably not.  Aya was...

"Amazing," I murmured.

She turned her head to look at me.

"Pardon?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"Nothing."

I stared at her.  She stared back.

She was so strong.  How she managed to survive until this point, I didn't know.  I owed it to her to try.  She had given up the only thing left in her life that she loved - her career - to come and find me.  That was too much for me to deal with.  A love that strong...

"This is too much," I muttered, trying to get through everything.

I was still so confused.

"Are you scared?" she asked.

I laughed a little crazily at the question.

"Of course I'm scared!"

I was scared of not being strong enough to deal with everything now that I knew the truth.  I was scared of not finding my own, unique place in this world.  I was scared of doing something to break Aya, who had withstood so much until that point.  I didn't want to hurt her.  Even though she'd kept secrets from me, she'd never purposely tried to hurt me.  She deserved more.

Damnit, Aya.  Why do you have to be so perfect? I thought, a little angry that I couldn't be angry.  Why do you have to be so convincing?  So right?

I closed my eyes and took deep, calming breaths.

The truth was that if Aya wasn't there with me, I would have lost it after hearing all that.  I would have been terrified.  But her presence in particular automatically relaxed me.  She was right.  We were supposed to do this together.

"Hey, Aya," I said after a long pause.

"Hm?"

"I think you're right."

I heard her walk over beside me.  She patted my hand, although I didn't open my eyes.

"Me too."

We didn't know what the future held for us.  All I could do at that point was focus on getting better.  Once I was back to my healthy self, I could pursue this strange phenomenon with more vigour.  I could try and figure out what Aya and I meant to each other.  Her and me, not her and some look-alike.  The real me.

"I'm a bit tired," I informed her, and I felt her sit down beside me, keeping her hand on mine as I fell asleep again, weakened by all the excitement.

I thought I heard her say something to me.  Something about buying gloves for me.  Or maybe loving me.  It didn't matter.  She said a lot more by just being there to take care of me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:04:22 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2007, 04:25:58 AM »
Emotional up and downs aside, or probably because of them, it was masterfully resolved... You're making me like Aya more than Miki!  XD

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2007, 04:42:57 AM »
 :D Yay! they've sorted it out!!
But something still lurks around the corner...

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline shindoushiz

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • よっし!仕事へa go!まだ無いけど、しくしく
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2007, 04:51:12 AM »
Awww...much better result than the fake chapter. :lol:  Aya is a really strong person.  I like how she fired back at Miki that it's just not Miki that is going through turmoil.

:D Yay! they've sorted it out!!
But something still lurks around the corner...
Mikan~ after such a nice chapter you just had to make the atmosphere all ominous. :cry:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:53:10 AM by shindoushiz »

元気で行こう!
小川麻琴Dance Dance Suru no da!

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2007, 08:37:16 AM »
How cute  :wriggly:
I'm so happy right now!
I can't find the right words, it was a great chapter! :luvluv1: :luvluv2:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
Then you'd get us all hooked on your NEXT AyaxMiki fic. :lol:

Requiem for Three
I wake up choking.

I cough and hack and clear my throat, massive amounts of phlegm piling up in my mouth.  I flip onto my side and spit.

"She's spitting on the floor.  Get her a bucket," the man orders.

I continue to cough and spit as a yellow basin is placed under me.  I spit into that.  When I'm done, I lie on my back, close my eyes, and fall asleep.

And that's the last mistake I will ever make.  Some time later - who knows how long - my windpipe becomes clogged up with phlegm.  I cough in my sleep, but I don't wake up to clear my throat.  The phlegm sits there, blocking air from coming to my lungs.  It's all very painless because I'm asleep.  One minute I'm living and breathing, the next I'm dead.
Whoa, it's the whole "out of body experiece/POV" thing. :O

I have died.

I know this because once I've passed through that black tunnel and stepped into the white light, I'm hovering above my body, looking down at it.  I feel great.  Ethereal, but not sick.  I have perfectly clear vision. I can see myself lying on the bed, a thin line of drool running down from the corner of my mouth.  My eyes are closed.  I look peaceful.
Being Miki, you just HAD to through in the drool, didn't you?

I float out of the door and see two people sitting in the living room.  One is Aya.  The other is Hiroshi.  I move in close to them.  I know that they can't hear me.  I'm dead.
Hmmm...I wonder how things went when the two of them finally met for the first time?

The strange thing about being dead is that once you're in that state, you know it and you accept it.  It's not like that movie Ghost that my cousin has forced me to watch three times.  There's no crazy "oh dear, what's going on?" moment.  You simply know that you're dead.  I am one hundred percent dead.
Well, Miki seems to be taking it well. :dunno:

"Miki?" she asks.

My body, of course, does not reply.

"Miki??"

She puts her hand on my chest.  She puts her ear to my mouth.

"Hiroshi!!" she screams.

Hiroshi races into the room as Aya starts shaking my body.

"She's not breathing!"
The sad thing is, Miki's watching the two of them having to go through this, knowing that, in a way, it's her death that has brought the three of them together.

Aya sits back down and hugs a pillow, crying softly.

I know what's going to happen before the idea even starts to form in her mind.

"No, don't," I mutter, but it's too late.

She gets up and rummages around her closet.  She finds painkillers and alcohol.
Aw hellz no. :cry:

I listen for Aya's breathing.  I can't hear any.

I sigh and touch her forehead.

"Stupid," I say gently.  "But at least you loved with all your heart."
Well, losing Miki once was hard enough. But to lose her a second time, especially when she was just in the next room? It was just too much for Aya to take.

Fittingly, it's Shibata that makes the discovery.  She comes to the door one day and eventually gets in.  I guess that means she has the other spare key.

She sees Aya lying on the floor and freaks out.  She can tell, though, right away that Aya's not alive.  She calls the police, and the same process is repeated.  They come in, poke and prod at her body, and then announce to Shibata that there's nothing they can do.  There are lots of questions, and I feel sorry for Shibata to have gotten involved in all this.  I decide to follow her out.

Shibata has a good, smart head screwed onto her shoulders.  She doesn't off herself.  A truck takes care of that for her.  As she's walking home from the police station in a daze, she doesn't pay attention to the streets, and she walks right through a red light and right into a speeding truck.
Damn you. :k-sad:

In death, we are also given knowledge.  Knowledge about the workings of death.  My knowledge is this: Aya and I won't meet in death.  Because she has willingly taken her own life, she - or her ghost, if you prefer - will exist in a different plane.  In short, we'll wander the same places, but we'll be invisible to each other.  No psychics.  No pennies.  No communication.

The rules of death dictate that victims of car accidents will not meet those that die in the throes of sickness.  I will never speak to Shibata again.

And so I'm left alone in Tokyo.  The rest of my death I shall spend all alone.

That is why we dead need a sense of humour.  For if you don't have one, you go insane.

Why?

Because death lasts slightly longer than your average life.

Death lasts for eternity.
So not only have you killed them all, but you've also doomed their souls to be forever alone, existing in some sort of purgatory, able to observe the outside world and yet unable to actually take part in any of it.

That's just cruel, you sick bastard.  :bleed eyes:

I don't make empty threats.  I wrote this story because you were all asking for it.  :D
Hey, I never asked that they be killed off. I never said anything about anyone dying, why the hell did I have to suffer? :D

But this chapter has absolutely no weight in this story.  Please forget it happened.  I repeat, it is not part of my story.
Lucky for you it isn't. You'd have had a riot on your hands.  :P

Chapter 20
I blinked a few times and turned my head slightly.  I felt something.  Someone was watching me.  I came eye to eye with a familiar face that often greeted me like this in the morning.

"Aya," I mumbled, my voice weak.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

She was sitting on the bed looking down at me, hands folded in her lap patiently.

"What happened?" I asked, ignoring her question because I didn't want to tell her that I still felt like I was going to die any minute.

She explained to me slowly that Kuniko had called me early in the morning and had gotten scared by my answer.  She'd called Aya to find out what was going on after I didn't pick up any subsequent calls.  Aya had rushed down to the station, met with Kuniko (who had run from 7-Eleven), and found me.  They'd lugged me into a taxi cab, and had taken me back to Aya's place.
Ah, so much for my theory (watches it spin down the toilet).

What I can't wait to see now is, how's Miki going to react once she remembers that/why she was pissed off at Aya in the first place. Also, does Kuniko know "the story" now?

"Where'd Kuni-chan go?" I mumbled, looking around the room.

"She left right when we got here.  She had to work.  I told her I'd take care of you and call her with an update."

"I had to almost physically kick her out of here.  She insisted that she wouldn't leave your side until you woke up.  That is one obsessively loyal girl."

So Kuniko had been that worried about me.  Worried enough to run over from work, where she had no doubt called from, and be willing to skip work to stay by my side.
I guess maybe Miki was supposed to work with Kuniko that morning, and the latter must have gotten worried when she didn't show up for her shift.

What had I done last night?  Last night I'd gone to a family restaurant and had tea.  And before that... I had argued with Aya.  I had argued with her because...

Because she had used me.  Used me to replace some other person that was not me.

But it all seemed so trivial now.  All I wanted to do was lie down.  I wanted to give up.  I just wanted to not feel the way I did.  Trampled on and dragged through the mud.  I wanted to sleep until we grew two years older and no longer cared for each other so that we could part amiably and maybe keep in casual touch by going for coffee twice a year.
Miki's wishing that she didn't feel so much for Aya as she does. If she didn't, then finding out the truth wouldn't have hurt so much. She could have just left her without being distracted and without going through all of the emotional turmoil that led her to fall asleep in the snow in the first place.

It wasn't fair.  If what Aya was saying about there being another version of me, then the things she'd done - her accomplishments and her fame - would precede me wherever I went.  People would continue to make judgements about me before knowing me.  The other Miki's enemies would automatically become my enemies, while her friends - her Aya - would be drawn to the things about their friend that they saw in me.

I didn't want that.  Maybe Aya could convince me that she loved me and not someone else who looked like me.  She'd taken the time to get to know me.  But people like Tsuyoshi and Katherine, with whom Aya said the other Miki had gotten along... Would they have liked me as much if they'd met me without having that mysterious sense of familiarity?  Would I have had a chance to be on good terms with Ohashi and Kuniko the Lesser if there'd been no other Miki?

I wanted to believe her so badly when she said she didn't expect me to be like the other Miki, but there was too much. Too much...
This would definitely be the thing that would trouble anyone, especially with the whole "sense of familiarity" thing.  In a way, Miki's feeling almost like a fraud, an imposter. It's like she's living out the life that was meant for the other Miki, the one that initially went missing who was herself a famous singer.  Miki doesn't like that idea, the idea that she's living someone else's life, and that certain things (like who she gets along with, etc) have been pre-determined for her and that she herself had no say in the matter. If that were indeed the case, than what does this Miki have to look forward to? How can she know for certain that her life is hers? Are the things that she likes and desires are really her own, or are they those of the other Miki?  She wants to live HER life on HER terms, not someone else's.

"But it's not fair," I insisted, growing stronger with my desperate anger at the world.  "Why do I have to deal with this problem?  God, it's not even a legitimate thing I can tell other people."

She stayed silent as I grew infuriated.

"It's not fair how if I tell my parents or Nakanoko-chan or even Hiroshi, they'll lock me in an insane asylum.  It's not fair, Aya!  It's not-"

"How do you think I feel about it?" Aya snapped sharply.  "I went through the same thing, but even worse.  I lost the person most important to me."

She didn't slap me, but she may as well have.  I shut up.  Of course.  Aya's world had changed, too.

"I didn't choose for it to happen to me either, and I sure as hell don't think it's fair, but I made do and tried to fix it, okay?  I put my job - my entire career – on the line to travel across the country to find you.  Stop being so selfish and spoiled.  You're not the only one with problems."

Shaken, I lay there staring at the ceiling, reflecting on my hasty complaints.  Aya had suffered a lot more.  At least I had had a choice whether to give Hiroshi up or not.  I had had choices in everything I'd gained or lost.  She had had no choice.  Her entire life had changed.

Even one of her best friends, Shibata, had changed.  Her family, too, would all be different.  Could I keep going if the change had been like that for me?  If I'd lost Hiroshi like that, what would I have done?  Would I have taken off to find him?  Would I have only told Nakanoko-chan while praying she didn't lock me up in the loony bin?  Would I have been able to be simply his friend if I'd found him in some far off city with another girl?

She was so strong.  How she managed to survive until this point, I didn't know.  I owed it to her to try.  She had given up the only thing left in her life that she loved - her career - to come and find me.  That was too much for me to deal with.
And now here Miki realizes that Aya has gone through pretty much the exact same thing that Miki has been going through. And when Aya had to go through it, she did it completely blind, with only Shiba-chan there for support. Miki at least has Aya, the friends she made at 7-11 and at U-Con. Also, Aya had to deal with already knowing Miki, but being unable to show it or to tell her so much of it, which would have just made things so much harder for her.  While Miki might be angry at Aya for keeping those secrets from her, she has to realize just how tough it's been for Aya to keep those secrets.

The truth was that if Aya wasn't there with me, I would have lost it after hearing all that.  I would have been terrified.  But her presence in particular automatically relaxed me.  She was right.  We were supposed to do this together.
After mentally going through all the doubts about herself again, Miki's going to take a stand. Aya had practically no one to stand with her when her world was turned upside-down, but she's not going to let Miki be alone as she goes through the same thing.  More importantly, Miki, who, up until this point had usually relied on only herself, now is willing to accept Aya's help and is ready to face the future together.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Secret - Sexy