JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Capsule - Starry Sky

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 551016 times)

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1660 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
I'm your token Bruins fan here, real impressive comeback for them, trailing late in the 3rd, tying it up and winning in OT to tie the series up. :thumbsup Strange series with the home team losing all the games so far, don't know if it's good that a game 7 will be in Boston. :smhid

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1661 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:25 AM »
 :cow: :thumbsup :yossi: :twothumbs

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1662 on: May 10, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »

WESTERN FINALS WHHHAAAAATT
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:17:37 AM by Mugen »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1663 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:49 AM »
Wow. Way to fail, NHL...

NHL demands $89,000 from Montreal restaurant
League says sign with Habs jersey and slogan is trademark infringement

CBC News Posted: May 16, 2011 1:03 PM ET Last Updated: May 16, 2011 3:41 PM ET

The National Hockey League is demanding $89,000 from a Montreal restaurant that displayed a Montreal Canadiens sweater and the words "Go Habs Go" on a sign.

The owner of a Basha franchise in downtown Montreal put an image on an outside wall showing the name of the restaurant and a man slicing shawarma while wearing a red Canadiens sweater.

But a lawyer working for the league sent a letter saying the sweater and the slogan are trademarks, and that the owner will have to pay the sum for copyright infringement.

The owner, Fadl Issa, painted over the Canadiens logos and the slogan when he first learned of possible infringement two months ago.

Issa has since taken down the sign completely, but he said he won't pay the money, and wonders why his restaurant was singled out.

"[I'm] surprised, I [said] it can't be, it's nonsense," said Issa. "I see places all around Montreal [showing] Go Habs Go."

The lawyer and the NHL would not speak to CBC News for this story, but the league did send a brief emailed response.

"The NHL takes seriously the protection of league and team trademark rights," the email said.

Issa said he just wanted to support his hometown hockey team, and said the idea came from his children.

"They said to me, 'Dad, why don't you do something to support the Canadiens?'" said Issa.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/05/16/restaurant-habs-nhl-fine.html

Seriously, do the NHL's lawyers honestly believe that they can persist with this lawsuit and NOT walk into a potentially massive public-relations nightmare?

Another article I found about this had this awesome bit in it:
Another man took a pragmatic view.
"They should walk through Vancouver," wrote Daryl Lamb. "They could sue enough people to make the Thrashers profitable!"
:lol:

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hsSSAi3eYKdfltafSK9qgeJtatFg?docId=6866577

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1664 on: May 19, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
raped SJ tonight!! Steve Nash at .13 chilling!

boobies!!

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1665 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:15 AM »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/atlanta-thrashers-moving-to-winnipeg/article2029179/

Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg
STEPHEN BRUNT
Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, May. 19, 2011 8:57PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, May. 19, 2011 9:07PM EDT

62 comments

Email
    Print/License
    Decrease text size Increase text size

An agreement to sell the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.
More related to this story

AHL has a Plan B if NHL team returns to Winnipeg
    Thrashers fans plan rally to try to save team
    Alberta government won't commit to funding new Oilers arena

Gary Bettman, the commissioner of the National Hockey League, is expected to travel to Winnipeg to make the news official.

The announcement would end months of speculation about whether one of the NHL’s financially-troubled American sunbelt teams might move north, filling the void left when the Winnipeg Jets packed up and left for Phoenix in 1996, where they became the Coyotes.

Much of the talk this spring had centred on that failing franchise, which was bought by the league after being placed in bankruptcy by its former owner Jerry Moyes in 2009.

But sources in Winnipeg suggest that the Thrashers had in fact been the primary target of potential owners Mark Chipman and David Thomson all along, and that some months back, the NHL board of governors quietly approved the sale and transfer of the team, pending the negotiation of a purchase agreement between Atlanta Spirit LLC, the Thrashers’ owners, and True North.

In the meantime, no potential owner materialized who was prepared to keep the team in Georgia, and local governments there showed no interest in propping up the Thrashers.

“There seems to be a consensus there is going to be a team in Winnpeg,” former major league pitcher Tom Glavine, who had tried unsuccessfully to find new ownership for the hockey team in Atlanta, acknowledged last week. ““The question is who, and unfortunately the bullseye seems to be on the Thrashers’ back.”

When it appeared this spring that the Coyotes might also be in play, after a deal to sell the team to Matthew Hulsizer underwritten by a municipal bond issue fell apart in the face of political opposition from the Goldwater Institute, the Winnipeg group sought to take advantage of what suddenly seemed a buyers’ market, with two teams available and no other potential owners or relocations sites on the horizon.

After the City of Glendale agreed to cover $25-million of the Coyotes losses for the 2011-2012 season, and the NHL opted to operate the club in Arizona for at least one more year, True North’s full focus returned to Atlanta, and a deal was hammered out this week.

Even before those final negotiations took place, the potential Winnipeg owners concluded an agreement with the Manitoba government which will allow revenues from a sports bar with slot machine to be used for improvements to the arena, and to be used towards the debt service on the building.

That’s consistent with what Manitoba premier Greg Sellinger told reporters earlier this week, when he said that the provincial government had no interest in subsidizing an NHL team, but that the province had financially supported the renovation of the MTS Centre in the past, and would continue to be willing to do so.

About time. :)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1666 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:35 AM »
^
Funny. considering I was just about to post these:

Thrashers sale report 'not accurate'
By: Gary Lawless

Posted: 05/19/2011 8:22 PM | Comments: 8 | Last Modified: 05/19/2011 9:23 PM

True North Sports and Entertainment says a Globe and Mail report stating the group has reached an agreement to buy the Atlanta Thrashers is not accurate.
A high-ranking True North official involved in negotiations to buy the Thrashers would not say any more.
The Globe story says:
"Sources confirmed tonight that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday, confirming the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.
The report also states NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to be in Winnipeg to make the news official.
The Globe and Mail is owned by True North partner David Thomson.
The story was written by Globe and Mail columnist Stephen Brunt, one of the country’s most respected sports writers.
Sources close to the deal say progress has been made and a deal could be reached in the coming days but nothing has been signed.
A high-ranking source with the Thrashers said nothing has been completed although a deal is expected to be finalized.
The NHL did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Thrashers-sale-report-not-accurate-122268064.html

Bettman denies report Thrashers moving to Winnipeg
Updated: Thu May. 19 2011 9:59:34 PM

CTV.ca News Staff

Winnipeg hockey fans may finally have an NHL team to cheer, after the Jets left for Arizona in 1996.

A report in the Globe and Mail says True North Sports and Entertainment has bought the troubled Atlanta Thrashers and plans to move the team to Winnipeg, with an official announcement expected Tuesday.

True North owns Winnipeg's MTS Centre arena, along with the American Hockey League team the Manitoba Moose.

However, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman denied the report Thursday night, during his weekly radio show. According to the Atlanta-Journal-Constitution, he said it was still just "speculation."

"I can tell you that with certainty that there is no deal for this team to move," he said. "Am I predicting that there will never be or that there won't be at some point in time? No, I'm not saying there is or there isn't."

Bettman has routinely said he prefers to keep a team in its current market, to the chagrin of Canadian fans in Winnipeg, Quebec City and southern Ontario waiting for a team.

Jets fans have been hoping one of the NHL's financially shaky teams in the U.S. South would move to Winnipeg, with some expecting it would be the Phoenix Coyotes.

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110519/winnipeg-jets-110519/20110519/?hub=MontrealSports

NHL, True North play down reported sale of Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg group
(The Canadian Press) – 30 minutes ago

WINNIPEG — The NHL and True North Sports and Entertainment are disputing a report that a deal to bring the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg is done.
Citing sources, The Globe and Mail reported Thursday evening that the announcement confirming the sale will be made Tuesday in Winnipeg.
"It's not true," True North spokesman Scott Brown said when asked about the report that a deal was done.
True North Sports and Entertainment owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.
The Globe report says the NHL board of governors has already approved the sale and transfer of the team, pending negotiation of a purchase agreement between Atlanta Spirit LLC, the Thrashers’ owners, and True North.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly is also not confirming the report, saying "as far as we know, there is nothing done."
"Certainly, the board has not approved anything," he said in an email to The Canadian Press.
Copyright © 2011 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.[/size]
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hxVakQiINBaCXsyqSXJGnvM8hLMA?docId=6902363

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:53:59 AM by JFC »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1667 on: May 20, 2011, 04:43:35 AM »
Funny. Brunt has been speculating about it for a couple months, but this is the first time he's actually come out and said "It's definitely happening, and this is the date." He'll have a ton of egg on his face if he's wrong.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1668 on: May 20, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »
Boy, a few of the local news blogs are going absolutely apeshit over this. If it turns out to be false so many people are gonna be PISSED!  :lol:

Thing is, whether it's true or not, I have a feeling that I probably won't be able to get the boys in my classes tomorrow to focus on getting any work done.  :P2

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1669 on: May 20, 2011, 05:12:06 AM »
Yeah, that's a good bet. I suspect it's true~ish and they just jumped the gun by a day or two. Just a guess though.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1670 on: May 20, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »
^
That's certainly a possibility. If it does turn out to be true, then the next step is getting all the other team owners and/or Board of Governors (whichever group it is that they need) to approve the sale. They can then proceed with the "logistical" stuff needed to move the team.

What I really want to know is, what's going to happen to the Manitoba Moose (the AHL team that has been here for the last 15 years) this happens? In terms of both their on-ice performance as well as financially-speaking, the Moose have been doing quite well, possibly even better (at least during the last 5 years) than the "old" Jets did while they were here.  The Moose definitely have their own supporters/fanbase here. If the Thrashers come here, it would really be unfair if it means forcing the Moose to pack up and move.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1671 on: May 20, 2011, 05:36:04 AM »
^
That's certainly a possibility. If it does turn out to be true, then the next step is getting all the other team owners and/or Board of Governors (whichever group it is that they need) to approve the sale. They can then proceed with the "logistical" stuff needed to move the team.

What I really want to know is, what's going to happen to the Manitoba Moose (the AHL team that has been here for the last 15 years) this happens? In terms of both their on-ice performance as well as financially-speaking, the Moose have been doing quite well, possibly even better (at least during the last 5 years) than the "old" Jets did while they were here.  The Moose definitely have their own supporters/fanbase here. If the Thrashers come here, it would really be unfair if it means forcing the Moose to pack up and move.

Depends on the market probably. I don't think they'd really compete directly. I've gone to a number of A/OHL games, but couldn't justify Leafs' ticket prices. Toronto supports the Leafs and Marlies. I'm not sure if Winnipeg is big enough for both though.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1672 on: May 20, 2011, 05:47:18 AM »
Depends on the market probably. I don't think they'd really compete directly. I've gone to a number of A/OHL games, but couldn't justify Leafs' ticket prices. Toronto supports the Leafs and Marlies. I'm not sure if Winnipeg is big enough for both though.
My thoughts, and my point exactly. Part of the reason why the Moose have done well here, instead of having the financial problems the Jets had is because they were simply more affordable for what Winnipeggers are willing to pay. We've got a justified reputation for being "thrifty" to say the least (personally, I say we're "cheap"). The Jets left here in the first place because financially they were just not drawing in enough revenue, a large part of which was from the severe lack of ticket sales. People here just weren't buying tickets to games because they were getting too expensive and no one wanted to pay "NHL prices". With the Moose, sure it might be as glamorous because it's "the minor leagues", but financially speaking, we were getting more affordable ticket prices (more "bang for your buck" so to speak), and because of this, more and more people here were able to afford (and thus willing) to spend the money to "go to the game".

I don't know, to be honest. Part of me wants to think positively, but knowing the track record of the potential fanbase here in Winnipeg, the skeptic in me can't help but think "what if" and "we'll see how long it lasts".

On a lighter note, the first article I linked earlier today has since edited it's article to include the subtitle "But deal could happen at any moment."  So it definitely could be that they simply jumped the gun on the announcement.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1673 on: May 20, 2011, 05:53:33 AM »
^ "we'll see how long it lasts".

Till the Canadian dollar drops down to $0.85USD again.  :P

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1674 on: May 20, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
Local blogs were talking about a crowd gathering at Portage & Main, so a buddy & I have come down to check it out! :lol: Pics & vld clips soon. :)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1675 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »
hopefully winnipeg gets it. so edmonton wont be the team that no one wants to play in anymore! ZZIIIIING!!   :rock:

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1676 on: May 20, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »
hopefully winnipeg gets it. so edmonton wont be the team that no one wants to play in anymore! ZZIIIIING!!   :rock:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1677 on: May 20, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
Well, just got back from the gathering. Probably 100-200 people in total while I was there. Pretty mild gathering, mostly just a bunch of whoopin' and yellin' and cheering (not to mention the beers they were drinkin' and the doobies they were smokin'). The pics I took turned out really shitty due to all of the glare from the cars as well as the fact that it was night (therefore bad lighting).  Also, I didn't realize that my phone's battery was low, so I was only able to get a couple of short video clips. Upload is progressing, but my connection is being a bit of a bitch right now.  It's 1:00AM as I type this post. If the uploads don't finish soon, I'm just going to head off to bed and (hopefully) let them finish overnight. Then I'll just post them up tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, here's a  quick example of what it was like, courtesy of the Winnipeg Free Press.
Hockey fans bubbling with excitement over prospect of NHL returning to Winnipeg

By: Chinta Puxley, The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG - Jubilant Winnipeg Jets fans were celebrating with renewed enthusiasm Thursday night as fresh buzz circulated that a local business group has accomplished what no one else has come close to doing in 15 years — bring the NHL back to Manitoba.
The NHL and True North Sports and Entertainment were disputing a report that a deal to bring the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg is done but that hasn't dampened the mood of hockey fans.
About 50 people — many wearing Winnipeg Jets jerseys — gathered at the downtown intersection of Portage and Main to celebrate late Thursday night. Many in the jubilant crowd waved flags bearing the old Jets logo and encouraged drivers to honk their horns, yelling "Go, Jets, Go."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/breakingnews/nhl-true-north-play-down-reported-sale-of-atlanta-thrashers-to-winnipeg-group.html

And here's an MP3 recording of the radio interview from earlier tonight with Stephen Brunt that, along with the article that he wrote, got this whole thing started:
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/audio/HnL-May19-Stephen-Brunt.mp3

It's a good thing I like you dude. :lol: :rock:

EDIT: Videos upped. I took them from the front courtyard of the old Bank of Montreal building, on the southeast corner of Portage & Main. Like I said, I didn't realize that my phone's battery was as low as it was, so yeah, the vids are fairly short. Chances are more will be seen during tomorrow's news reports anyway.  :)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:27:17 AM by JFC »

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1678 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Here is some pics and videos i took when i went with JFC to Portage and Main in Winnipeg

This guy had a chair from the Old Arena

GO JETS GO!!!

Videos

Here is some Raw video from TSN

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip470422#clip470422
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:15:59 AM by Tom Green »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1679 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
And of course, in Atlanta, the 20 Thrashers fans gathered in an effort to convince their city to save/keep the team from moving.

Props to Tom Green for somehow finding this little "gem" showing the difference between Peg Sheety hockey fans and Atlanta hockey fans.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Capsule - Starry Sky