JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Getsuyou no Asa

Author Topic: My Own Private Funeral  (Read 26883 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
Quote from: OTN1;330603
Because you secretly love sappy angst, and that's my specialty!  Yes, quite the "coincidence."  Did you check out his name?  Another (much more subtle) "coincidence" maybe? .... :lol:

Considering I just read all the Love x stories, just let me say this:

HOLY CRAP.

Nice reference, btw. :P

Oh, and I really really wub you to pieces with all your previous work. XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 01:12:19 AM »
It's amazing how the most unexpected things can connect you with the right person that you need to speak to.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
Yeah, and I like how people from all walks of life can connect.  A Catholic priest and an idol-turned-artist who's still in love with a girl who died 8 years ago.  Who woulda thought.

This is the obligatory crappy transition chapter.  More on its way and soon, I hope.  It's almost all written.  It's just not typed up.

That evening, I muddled my way through buying a train ticket to Campodolcino.  That would set me down almost directly under the mountains that I was searching for.  It turned out to be about fifty kilometres east of the place Shibata had recommended to me.

The train station employee did not speak Japanese.  I did not speak Italian.  We could not understand each other's poor English.  Hand gestures, emphatic shakes and nods of the head, and exclamations of delight or disagreement served as our language.  It worked splendidly.  I would depart the following day at eight sharp.

When I got back to my hotel room, I made a phone call right away.

"Hello?" asked a hurried voice.

"Hi, Shiba-chan."

"Hey you!" she cried, sounding pleasantly surprised.  "What's up?"

"I'm in Rome," I said.

"That was way too much information to handle," she said sarcastically.

"I'm heading up north.  I met someone who told me where I can find the crash site."

I spoke the words so easily, so calmly, that it surprised even me.

There was a deathly silence on the phone.  All sarcasm and joking left Shibata's voice when she spoke next.

"Are you sure about that?"

It must have sounded as if I had gone a bit nuts since I had yelled at her only a few weeks ago when I thought she had implied I should come and visit the crash site.

"Hmmm, I think it's the only way," I said quietly.

"If you really want to, Miki-chan," she spoke up, "then I back you up completely.  I think it's a good idea.  Go there and - you know."

She did not have to say it.  "Come to terms" or "accept" both worked.  So did so many other words and phrases.  I knew what I had to do.  She knew what I had to do.

I thanked her and told her the name of the place.  She encouraged me some more, but she had to cut the phone call short as to not be late for a meeting.

I spent the evening packing up my things and taking a quick bath.  Drained after such a day, the warm water took away my tension and I dropped into bed, my body and head sinking deep into the soft mattress and pillow.

That night I had a disturbing dream.

This time I had already climbed the mountain before Aya's plane crashed.  It dove into the rocks and snow not too far from where I was standing.  I ran to it immediately and ripped open a door that was hanging already half-open.   I crawled in on my hands and knees.

The aisles were littered with fallen people.  The stench of death was all around me, my hands and knees becoming drenched in blood as I tried to navigate through it all.

I found Aya as I usually did.  This time she was lying on her back in the aisle.  Her eyes were closed and there was a nasty gash on her forehead that was bleeding profusely.

I knew that one was not supposed to move an injured person, especially someone with a head injury, so I kept my hands off of her.  I leaned down a bit.

"Aya!  Hey!" I called out.  "Are you awake?!"

Her face twisted in what looked like exasperation as she opened her eyes.

"Stop yelling," she groaned.  "You're too loud."

"Oh my god," I gasped.  "You're fine."

"I'm not fine," she said as a matter of factly.  "I'm hurt.  And I can't see."

"Can't see...?" I trailed off, wondering what sort of horrible thing had happened to make Aya go blind.

"Yeah.  There's blood in my eyes."

My stomach twisted when I saw that she was right.  

"Here," I mumbled, reaching over to wipe her eyes as carefully as I could.

When my hands reached her face, however, she grabbed my wrists and pulled me forward.

"Whuuha!" I exclaimed, letting out a strange noise.  I pulled my hands out of her grip and managed to steady myself on the ground before I could fall on top of her and crush her.

"Take it easy.  I'll help you get up in a second," I said soothingly.

"I can't get up," Aya said darkly.

"What?"

I started to sit up again, but she grabbed my hands and pulled.  I pulled back, but she was surprisingly strong.

"You can't leave this.  You can't leave me.  You have to come.  No choice."

"Aya, what are you talking about?!" I yelled desperately.  "Stop being stupid and let me help you."

She pulled me forward roughly again, and I struggled to keep my balance.

"Stop it.  You're going to hurt yourself," I reprimanded her.  If anger did not work, common sense might.

"There's no use.  It's over," she laughed bitterly.  "But I'll take you with me if I have to."

"What...?" I bit off my words.  "Stop it.  Let go."

She refused to listen to me.  I tried to overpower her, but no matter how much strength I used to pull away, her icy grip held me like a vice did a piece of wood.  Her nails dug into the delicate skin on the backs of my hands, and it hurt like crazy.

Why is she hurting me? I wondered.  Why won't she let me help her?

"Aya, it hurts," I whispered sadly, looking down at our violently entwined hands.

"Then stop fighting it," she sneered.

I closed my eyes and shook my head, trying again to pull my hands out of her hold.

"Just think of it.  This way be can be together forever," she sang out in a mocking tone, and I felt the burning pain around my eyes that meant I was about to cry.

With a final tug, she overpowered me and pulled me down.

Just as my chin was about to collide with her nose, I woke up.  Instead of the sickening crunch of cartilage breaking and the searing pain of my chin hitting something hard, I heard a car driving quietly down the street and felt the softness of the hotel bedding surrounding my body.  I opened my eyes, breathing fast and sweating.

I had no idea what to make of it.  Why would I dream of Aya doing something cruel and insensible like that?  In the dreams I had of the plane crash, she was never like that.  Never angry at me and never mocking me.

I thought carefully.

I knew that even in death, she still held my heart tightly.

But why did I dream of her hurting me while she was dying?  

It made no sense, so I tried my best to do what I always did with dreams that made no sense - ignored it and went back to bed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:47:18 PM by OTN1 »

Offline Ren

• ワーイε=ヾ(*・∀・)/
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a girl!
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
So sad :baa60776:.

I almost cried when I was reading this... The emotion from your writing is really powerful.

And for the Sayumi being the one Miki called, I didn't thought of that until I read  the cutest girl part... I thought its Yossie, then its Rika... Then.. Huh? They are talking about Rika? Who is it then? And its Sayu! :ON@_@:
Their radioshows gave the impression they are actually can be close to each other though.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
Hmm the dream appears to be symbolic. Miki is finally aware of how this whole thing is hurting her then, at least subconsciously? Aya of the past might not hurt her, but the memory of her death and absence is definitely hurting Miki. At least that's how I saw it. :)

Even your transition chapters are awesome. XD Can't wait for Miki to get to her destination! :)

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »
...so..........was that relevant to the rest of the story or should I do as Miki and ignore?

God, my nose hurts now. The image of someone breaking my nose with their chin freaks me beyond belief XD

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2007, 02:49:16 PM »
Well, there is a bit of a point to it.  It shows some things going on in Miki.  Like Estrea suspects, it's symbolic.  It'll make more sense later on when the story is finished.  

By the way, Estrea, yes.  There's another thing, too, but I don't want to give away the ending.  You're all welcome to guess... hah, unless that involves Coachie coming in here again and ruining the whole story by predicting exactly what's going to happen.  (Hahaha, that's a joke. =P)

And Ren, I almost cried writing this. :lol:  No, not really.  Well, maybe in the very first chapter... just a tiny bit... hahahaha.

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »
I hope Miki can get everything worked out. It's okay to mourn as long as you live your life to the fullest.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »
so I'm not allowed to guess? tsk tsk
but you're lucky, I haven't got any good theories up my sleeve anyway XD (I have one, but I keep it to myself, because it sucks)

As for the dream, I see it exactly as Estrea does

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2007, 06:59:44 AM »
Damn that latest dream was creepy.

Like Estrea, I say it symbolizes Miki's reluctance to let go of Aya after her death. The way that she "shut down" emotionally because she just couldn't bear the thought of no longer being able to see or be with Aya has become such an integral part of her that she couldn't see how damaging it was to her. In a way, the Aya in her dream was the embodiment of that reluctance to let go, only it manifested itself in the "2nd person" format. This way, Miki can now objectively (relatively speaking) see, at least partially, how it had caused her to cut herself off from so many others that she was once close with.

Or I could just be talkin' outta my ass. :P

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »
It makes sense, JFC.  I have one question, though.  When you say that the dream Aya is the embodiment of Miki's reluctance to let go, that would mean that their roles in the dream would be reversed?  I.e. Aya refusing to let go of Miki in the dream translates into Miki not being able to let go of Aya in real life?

If that's what you mean, then wow.  I never thought of it that way, and braVO.  That's pretty clever.  I didn't have that intention, but your interpretation is really... cool.

Your ass must be very smart to be saying that. :P

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2007, 03:12:33 AM »
One more chapter after this one and it's finished.

9 is short.  This one is the crappy transition paragraph.

It was a bit colder in Campodolcino because of the elevation.

It took quite a while to travel there, but I could not sleep.  I looked out of the window as the train traversed the land at a high speed.  The land looked very bare in some places, the leaves having fallen off the trees, but the sky was picture perfect.  It was bright blue and clear, friendly and fluffy white clouds scattered across it.

When I saw the mountains for the first time, my heart leaped a bit in the anticipation of what I was going to feel.  They looked so much more impressive than they had in my dreams and in the pictures on the internet.  Tall, cold beasts...

For an hour I was captivated by these giants that became taller as the train approached.  I did not want to blink or breathe in case I missed something.

Those mountains.  That's Aya's grave, I thought.

But I could not feel anything.  I was blank with what was probably shock.  I had travelled such a long distance to come and see this scene before me.  I did not know what to do, so I stared and waited for the train to drop me off at my stop.

Once I was off, the wind nipped at my exposed skin and I shivered, tucking my chin into my jacket.

I found a taxi cab and said to the driver in English, "hotel."

He asked what I assumed was, "which one?"  

"Whichever," I replied.

He got my message.  I was lucky to have found a nice driver who was neither about to rip me off by taking "the scenic route" nor drop me off at some seedy dump (although in a town of one thousand, it must have been hard to have a sleazy part of town).

The hotel the driver chose had some vacancies.

"How long?" they asked (I assumed).

I held up two fingers.

"Two nights," I said in English.

And all was settled easily from then on.

I went up to my room and unpacked a few things.  I inspected the facilities.  Very simple.  I checked and re-checked my bags to make sure I had brought everything.  I turned on the television set and spent five minutes flipping through the channels.  All two of them.

"Ug," I mumbled, tossing the remote control on the bed.

I was stalling.  I knew what I had come here to do, and I was doing the exact opposite.  Instead of climbing the mountain for real instead of in my dreams, I was wasting my time pretending to be interested in my surroundings.  I was filled with apprehension at the thought of what I might feel if I went up there.

I put on my jacket and went outside for a walk around the small town.  I needed a little more time before I did anything decisive.

I wandered around, looking and shivering.  I had an early dinner at the hotel and went back to my room, contemplating what to do.  I did not want to go up the mountain any more than I had wanted to a few hours prior.  I fell asleep at six o'clock while watching TV that I did not understand.

This time, no dreams came to me.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2007, 03:22:48 AM »
Hmm now you got me all on the edge of my seat wondering how it's going to be. *whimper* Can't wait till you get to the main portion!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2007, 03:59:29 AM »
The final chapter in this story.  Enjoy, critique, love, hate.
Thank you for the good times this time around.

I woke up a few hours later.  It was dark in my room.  I checked my watch.  Eight-thirty in the evening.  My brain felt groggy, but something in it willed me to get up and straighten myself out.

I brushed my teeth and my hair, put on my jacket, and walked out of the hotel.  My legs took me for the ride.  I did not purposely go.  I was being taken almost against my will.

The sky was clear that night, so the stars and three quarters of the bright moon supplemented the few street lights that lined the sidewalks and let me see where I was going.  I found myself going to the town's general store.  I bought two bottles of mineral water and a flashlight and continued walking.  I was soon outside of the town and heading towards a path that would take me up the mountain.

The plastic bag with the two bottles of water swung and hit my leg every now and then.

One of the bottles was for me.  The other was for Aya.  I was going to meet her.

My flashlight switched on, I started to ascend.  It was a subtle slope.  I went up and up and up.  I did not think, I did not make any sudden changes in my pace or attitude, I did not stray.  I remained focused on my goal.

An hour later I drifted away from the path and into a clearing with a steep, dangerous-looking cliff.  I was fairly high up and I had gone far enough that I could no longer see the town.  The path had twisted enough to make sure of that.

I sat down in the clearing and took out a bottle of water, placing it on the ground in front of me.  I took out the second bottle and opened it up.  I took a long sip of water while I sat staring at the empty space in front of me.  A space that should have been filled with a smiling, drinking human being.

I sat there for a long time.  The mountain scenery was mostly dark to me, only small parts of it lit up by my weak flashlight and the light from the stars.

I was finally on the mountain above which Aya had taken her last breaths, perhaps saying my name with one of them.

I was finally there on the mountain with a mind ready to witness something happen.  I waited for that feeling of acceptance to fill me.

It would not come.

I had come with my offering - water, the purest thing a human could consume - for her because I could not have a proper funeral.  We would drink together one last time to conclude... something.  Conclude what?  Our association?  End it?  To say that I had gotten over her?

A lie.  I had not.  I could not.  I would never.  A cruel lie that I could not utter.

I took another sip of water and then put my bottle down beside hers.

I looked at how far the mountains continued and I felt so small.  It made me feel smaller than I had ever felt before.  It was not its height, but the memories.  I closed my eyes.  My entire life flashed before me.  My life before Aya, during Aya, and after Aya.

After all these years, that was still how I measured time.

I envisioned my heart as a flower.  It had grown slowly and blossomed with vigour.  It had been far too short-lived.  It had shrivelled up one day, and it felt like it had been pickled, preserved in a constant state of grief.

After all these years, I still would not let my heart out of that glass jar.

I thought about the tears I cried far too frequently.  Something would happen, some sort of flame would be lit, and it would ignite intense emotions in me that I could not bottle up lest they kill me from the inside.

After all these years, I still felt like I was being eaten alive from within.

I imagined her walking into my apartment unexpectedly one day.  I would ask no questions.  I would not care where she came from, how she had survived, and why she had not called for eight years.  I would let her come in and we would pick up right where we left off as if that gap of painful years had never occurred.

After all these years, I still could not stop fantasising that she was still alive.

I wondered if that priest - Father Saitou, I supposed I should call him - dreamed of his sister Naomi coming back into his life.

I opened my eyes and a tear fell out, followed by another and another.  They slid down my face quietly in a solemn procession.

The tears were not for her, for as I sat on that mountain, I saw the truth with startling clarity.

Aya had not been the only one to die that day.

I had thought that coming to the mountain would help me find the peace I was looking for.  I had hoped to come to terms with the past and find a way to stride forward against all obstacles.  

No luck.  It only showed me the permanence of my situation.  My state was eternal, my sadness an oppressive weight chained to me, my life a dismal, bleak light that was slowly fading as I grew older.

These thoughts assaulted me, weakened my legs.  Luckily I was sitting down.

I looked up at the beast before me and saw it consuming me.  It felt familiar.  I was on that plane, I was crashing.  I could see her face contorted in horror, her eyes shut tightly, not wanting to watch her own end.  Yet I sat beside her, transfixed.  My eyes wide open as I drank in everything.  Everybody on that plane screaming, dying...

And then I was out of the plane and back at the base of the mountains, sitting there eight years later, my heart no longer beating, my senses dulled.

Suddenly it was all clear.  

I had a thought.

It was a defining revelation.  One sentence echoed in my mind, and it made sense.  The past eight years made sense.  The rest of my life from now on would make sense.

I held onto it and pulled myself up to my feet, leaving my half-empty water bottle beside the full, unopened one.  I walked away.  I walked back down the mountain, numb.

I had come searching for something else.  Not the revelation I had just had.  I had wanted resolution.  All I got was confirmation of what I had been afraid of for so many years.

In a trance, I walked and walked until I reached my hotel room.

I looked at the time.  It was late.

==

The next day I checked out of the hotel.  I took a train straight to the airport in Milan.  I had my ticket changed for the next available flight.  It was highway robbery on the part of the airline company, but I just threw my money down like it was a few grains of salt.  Money meant nothing to me.

During my four-hour wait, I made my second and final phone call of the trip.

Shibata's answering machine picked up.

"I'm coming home.  My flight gets into Narita at five twenty-three in the evening.  See you."

I hung up and then I sat and stared at a white wall until it was time to board my flight.

When I left Italian soil, I felt nothing.  I looked out the window, but night was already falling and it was dark.  I could only see faint outlines of land and mountains.  I pulled the cover down over the window and fell asleep, cold and empty.  I did not wake up until the landing.

When I reached Japanese soil, I still felt nothing.  No excitement to be home.  No relief.

I dragged myself through the disembarkation process, found my luggage, and walked out of the doors.

"Miki-chan!" I heard a name call out.

I looked up.  There was Shibata in the waiting area beside the exit, walking towards me.  She looked like she had run all the way to the airport.

"Welcome back," she said with a worried smile.

I did not return her smile.  I just nodded and began to walk.  She kept up.

"How was it?  Are you all right?"

I shrugged.

"Fine."

I could not muster up any enthusiasm.  I could not even put on a show of being all right.

We walked in silence until we reached the platform for the train that would take us into Tokyo.

"I came right after my seminar.  I wasn't expecting you for another few days."

Maybe she wanted an apology.  I did not say anything.  She fell silent.  We did not speak for ten minutes as we sat waiting for the train.

"Miki, say something to me," she said quietly.

I did not want to say anything.  There was nothing to say.  No point.

I heard her sniff.  I looked at her face and noticed that she was crying.  I had never seen her cry.  Or perhaps I had once in the days when we used to play futsal together and we had won some sort of big event.  But those were tears of joy.  The ones now were not.

"Why'd I let you go there?" she wondered out loud, uttering such protective words that I did not know what to say in response.

I knew that she knew something had happened and she was feeling guilty for egging me on to go.

It was not her fault.  I would have gone eventually anyway.  She was not responsible.  I was an adult and I had the capability to make decisions for myself.

"I'm okay.  I found peace," I lied.

She had no more grounds to continue.  She did not want to call me on my lie.

We did not talk for the rest of the ride into Tokyo.  She came with me to the platform where I would catch my train for my final station of the evening.  When it came, I thanked her for picking me up at the airport.  She said she would see me later, and I had a feeling she would be calling, mailing, and coming over a lot in the next week in an attempt to cheer me up.

We said goodbye.

I got home.  Everything looked exactly the same as I had left it.

I put my luggage in a corner of the living room, took a quick shower, and went straight to bed.  I was not tired, so I just lay there, my body in my bed, but my mind back on the mountain the previous night.

I remembered that one thought I had had.  That one defining thought when all had become clear.

No, Aya was not the only one who had died that day.

I died, too.

With her.  Death did not tear us apart.  It tore me apart as I followed her into the realm of shadows.

No light.  Not for me.

Maybe I had sacrificed myself.  Maybe I had taken all the darkness within me so that she could have all the light and would not be scared.  That would be why I could never escape the sadness and the thought of her.

I was dead inside.  I walked the world with a shroud of darkness around me.  It got darker and darker each week.

I had gone to that site in the Alps where most of her had burned up and been scattered in the winds to have my own version of a funeral for Aya.  

Instead, as I had walked down the mountain to go back to the hotel, and just like the tears that had trailed down my cheeks, I walked the path of my own funeral.  

My own private funeral.  

My own death mourned.

the end.

(sorry)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:07:28 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2007, 04:31:10 AM »
*watches my own heart shrivel up in sadness* :cry:

It's so sad...but then it feels so real...it's never easy to find resolution. I know a little about how Miki feels, I felt like a part of me died with my own mother too.

Great, now I'm all down and depressed. But it only speaks of how wonderful your writing is. It's just so...evocative.

Small words to express how I truly feel. Thanks OTN, for such a wonderful story. Very grateful that you have chosen to share your skill with us. :)

See you at your next story!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2007, 05:16:09 AM »
Quote from: OTN1;333873
It makes sense, JFC.  I have one question, though.  When you say that the dream Aya is the embodiment of Miki's reluctance to let go, that would mean that their roles in the dream would be reversed?  I.e. Aya refusing to let go of Miki in the dream translates into Miki not being able to let go of Aya in real life?
Basically, yeah.

Quote from: OTN1;333873
That's pretty clever.  I didn't have that intention, but your interpretation is really... cool.

Your ass must be very smart to be saying that. :P
You know those aptitude tests they used to give us in elementary school? I always did really well in the "Abstract Reasoning" parts, which to me, pretty much means "pulling stuff outta your ass". :P

My ass thanks you, kind sir. :)

Quote from: OTN1;334538
One more chapter after this one and it's finished.

9 is short.  This one is the crappy transition paragraph.

This time, no dreams came to me.
Well, you know that something is up when the protagonist arrives at/near their intended goal, and yet there's no anticipation on their part. Granted, Miki's circumstances would probably make having anticipation somewhat inappropriate, but she was almost dreading and regretting coming there.

Quote from: OTN1;334567

I was finally there on the mountain with a mind ready to witness something happen.  I waited for that feeling of acceptance to fill me.

It would not come.

A lie.  I had not.  I could not.  I would never.  

I took another sip of water and then put my bottle down beside hers.

I envisioned my heart as a flower.  It had grown slowly and blossomed with vigour.  It had been far too short-lived.  It had shrivelled up one day, and it felt like it had been pickled, preserved in a constant state of grief.

After all these years, I still would not let my heart out of that glass jar.

I thought about the tears I cried far too frequently.  Something would happen, some sort of flame would be lit, and it would ignite intense emotions in me that I could not bottle up lest they kill me from the inside.

The tears were not for her, for as I sat on that mountain, I saw the truth with startling clarity.

Aya had not been the only one to die that day.

I had thought that coming to the mountain would help me find the peace I was looking for.  I had hoped to come to terms with the past and find a way to stride forward against all obstacles.  

No luck.  It only showed me the permanence of my situation.  My state was eternal, my sadness an oppressive weight chained to me, my life a dismal, bleak light that was slowly fading as I grew older.

I had come searching for something else.  Not the revelation I had just had.  I had wanted resolution.  All I got was confirmation of what I had been afraid of for so many years.

"I'm okay.  I found peace," I lied.

No, Aya was not the only one who had died that day.

I died, too.

With her.  Death did not tear us apart.  It tore me apart as I followed her into the realm of shadows.

No light.  Not for me.

the end.

(sorry)
Don't be. It's a very poignant and fitting ending.

Sure, the ending is a downer, but that's the reality of the situation, the depth of how connected Miki and Aya were. This story was a case where the two of them really were "soulmates". They weren't just friends, they weren't just best friends. They really were, emotionally, psychologically, spiritually, a part of each other.  When you obviously care for someone as deeply as Miki cared for Aya (fuck I can't believe I just wrote that in the past tense), the reality of it is, you DON'T always have the ability to "get over/past it". You can't always "move on" with your life.  Some people do, but not everyone can.  

Even in real life, we see that Miki is just so...happy when she's with Aya. It's like Aya's the key, she's the spark, the trigger that let's that side of Miki show itself.  In the story, it may have gotten to a point where Miki couldn't bear to, or just was no longer able to bring that part of her out without Aya there to draw it out. It wouldn't have been a case of Miki betraying Aya's memory if she did so, but more of a case where, without Aya, she just didn't have the ability to do so.  To use the "flower" analogy you had in the final chapter, if Miki's "soul" is the flower, Aya's soul was the soil that let it grow. Without one, the other can never be. Without one, the other is nothing. Both have to be there for the greatness to manifest itself.

Journey's like this don't always end with some sort of absolution. A person may go on one looking for some type of epiphany that makes EVERYTHING clear and puts things in perspective, but in all honesty that's really wishful thinking. What happens more often with journeys like this is that they DO often end with some type of revelation or affirmation. Miki has her's, and as devastating as it may be, she is, in a way, able to understand and accept it. She realizes that in this case, for her, there will be no epiphany telling her "it'll be all right," because in this case...it isn't all right. Nothing has been right since Aya died, and nothing can ever change that. To correct something I said earlier, Miki and Aya weren't soulmates, because that would imply that they were two different souls, or even two seperate halves of one soul like a Yin/Yang thing. That's not true. While they were two bodies, they didn't just SHARE one soul, they WERE one soul.  Miki's heart hasn't been sealed away in a proverbial jar, it was lost on that mountain 8 years ago.  It was Aya, after all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:20:08 AM by JFC »

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2007, 05:22:09 AM »
I didn't want to cry anymore tonight. I should have waited until I felt better to read this, but I had to know how Miki turned out. Bravo to you for not giving her a happy ending and instead sticking to reality. Now I really need to watch something happy.

Offline glcorps2002

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Rina Akiyama: Booty Beauty
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 05:23:46 AM »
Woah, that's just so heart-wrenching and tear-jerking. Dieing in spirit when someone close to you dies. You can really play with people's emotions.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2007, 07:28:19 AM »
As JFC said, sometimes you just can't move on, no matter how hard you try. People can have all sorts of experiences, good and bad, and still be unable to change or learn from them. Unfortunately it's almost, if not completely, impossible to regain happiness once you have lost it; too bad the same can not be said about sorrow and pain.

I'm not sure what to say about the last chapter. Except that it almost made me cry, not at the emotion but at the absence of it. It's hard to write stuff like this and not wimp out and write what you would want to happen, instead of what would really happen. I'm glad you didn't wimp out.

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
My Own Private Funeral
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
The last chapter was a real tear jerker!  I was already weepy eyed during the beginning half and then it kind of just snow balled from there...ah but what can I say, I actually love tear jerkers :MKcry2:

I couldn't help but think back to your previous story where Ayaya goes to Hokkaido to search for Miki.  In my mind I kind of connected the stories together in that the day that Ayaya woke up to find Miki missing..it was actually the day that Ayaya died and that she spent her afterlife looking for Miki and that even though Ayaya only spent a couple of months in Hokkaido, in reality it's been decades and the real Miki finally got to meet up with Ayaya again in the end.

Yes I know my thinking is messed up but I kind of liked the idea :ONsweat:

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Getsuyou no Asa