JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Solaya Love - Luxurious

Author Topic: Athletics World Championships, Helsinki 2005  (Read 2977 times)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Athletics World Championships, Helsinki 2005
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:23:53 PM »
Maybe there's no athletics fans at this board, but I was kinda surprised, when I didn't find a topic about this. Everything in Finland is so full of the games, so I couldn't let this board to be untouched by the athletics world championships.

I guess I should write something about the games and stuff. Well, there was two notable performances tonight. Justin Gatlin won the 100m more easily than ever. Another american, Adam Nelson, won gold in shotput. Nelson became my favorite because of his great pre-throw rituals... He really did look like he's gonna kill someone :D

Discuss, if you're interested. More info at
http://www.helsinki2005.fi/index.php?&Lang=eng.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 11:54:04 PM »
Unfortunately, here in North America Athletics (more commonly known here as Track and Field), doesn't get the pimping that it deserves.  Usually the only major coverage it gets are the olympics.  Here in Canada we get somewhat decent coverage (at the very least highlights during the nightly news sportscasts.  In the U.S. I've heard the coverage is even less, unless there's a BIG-TIME American athelete that is set to dominate his/her event.  Without that big-time athelete, don't bet on a lot of U.S. coverage.  Every so often there'll be coverage of the world championships, but at this time of year it has to compete with the sports that Americans consistently flock to such as baseball, football, NASCAR racing (if you can call it racing). They also have to compete with the onslaught of the summer blockbuster movies.  Aside from the hardcore fans and those people here who actually participate in it or have family/friends that do, athletics just isn't that big of a draw, ratings-wise.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:31:35 AM »
Yeah!! It's in Helsinki this year.

Damn those Americans are still piling it on, been eyeing some of the key races..like the 100 and 200. When's the relay?

and how about our Perdita Felicien made her heats:
http://tsn.ca/headlines/main_story.asp?id=132897

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:12:42 PM »
I actually just noticed last night that there IS Canadian coverage of the Championships this year.  The only problem is, the broadcasts are being done late at night (starting at around 10 pm-midnight, depending on where you live).  They haven't been advertising much about it either, so chances are not as many people even know that it's going on.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:48:45 PM »
Even if you stay awake, you might not to be able to see the games since yesterday they had to cut the power off at the stadium for 2 hours, because Helsinki was struck by the worst storm of year this far and electrical devices were breaking down.
coot is ctz

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 08:23:11 AM »
It's over I know...US lost in the relay?...how about this Russian chick?

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Solaya Love - Luxurious