JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: D-Unit - Stay Alive (feat. Vasco)

Author Topic: The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread  (Read 27122 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:40 PM »

Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ?), trademarked Sonic The Hedgehog, is a video game character and the protagonist of the eponymous video game series of the same name released by Sega, as well as in numerous spin-off comics, cartoons and books. The first game in the franchise was released on June 23, 1991, in order to provide Sega with a mascot to rival Nintendo's flagship character Mario (see 1991 in video gaming). Since then, Sonic has become one of the world's best-known video game characters, with his series having sold 50 million copies.

The OTHER most legendary video game character of all time totally deserves a thread! So what's your favorite Sonic game?

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »
didn't really play sonic since i didnt have any sega systems. but look how skinny that bastard is! hes like a kenyan hedgehog or something. and tails is uber cute!

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »
it was all about sonic 2 and sonic & knuckles. i played the SHIT out of those games

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »
My favorite Sonic games are Sonic Unleashed (PS3 / XBOX 360) and Shadow The Hedgehog! XD
When I was like 6 - 10 years old, I had the old SEGA Mega Drive console... and played Sonic The Hedgehog on it! That was my first Sonic game ever! But I lost every time, because I didn't get the gameplay... My older sister and my uncle was playing this game like a freak! :shocked

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
Sonic 2 was my fav as well. I have the collection for the Playstation now. :)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
I'm gonna be strange and say Sonic Adventure for the DC was my favourite Sonic game. Yes it had Big the Cat in it, but I have nothing but good memories of that game.

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:24:43 AM »
Loved Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.  And Sonic Spinball.  Lol.  Anyone remember Sonic for Game Gear?  There was this one boss that was SO EFFING hard to beat.  It was this crab thing with huge pincers at the bottom of this ramp, and I think it shot out bombs?  Anyway, freaking hard to beat.  Got frustrated and hardly played that shit.  XD

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
Yeah, I loved Sonic for the Game Gear. It's still probably my most played game.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
My first ever game was Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis. I liked Sonic and Tails even more, because of Tails :lol:
My favorite game is Sonic Adventure because of the open world gameplay.  Did anyone else love the chao garden? lol, my favorite chao was the brown one, which I would also call the chocolate one. 

I heard that Sonic DX for Gamecube was like Sonic Adventure for DC.  Anyone have DX (director's cut)? Does it have most of the same things? Including the chaos? Because I would have gotten DX a long time ago if i had known, and Im ready to get it now and play on the wii.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 11:18:52 AM »
I have Sonic I and II for PS2  :lol:, but in all honesty; I absolutely hate sonic games. When I was young I never got why this was supposed to be competition for Mario. In my eyes the mario games were superior on every level, especially game play. With the sonic games, you race through a level, you never spot enemies because you're going so fast.. Sonic is supposed to be fast, but if you lose speed you can't even make it up a small hill.

Offline RoyMoy

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 02:29:43 AM »
Used to be a big fan of the genesis sonic titles. Used to be able to beat the first 3 sonics with all the emeralds. It's a shame that Sega ran the franchise into the ground with recent titles of questionable quality. Call me a traditionalist but I think it was a bad idea to give him that cheezy voice as well.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
Sonic died the minute he got that stupid voice. At the insistence of my nephew I tried to get past the more difficult stages for him in Sonic and the Secret Rings. Worst Sonic game I've played. There are moments that are good, the sense of speed is really well done in some cases, but more often than not you're colliding into something, or dealing with a lock on system that's screwy at best. And the boss battles! Die once and you have to go back to the beginning and do it all over again, and as mentioned, the system makes it harder than it should. Sonic's meant to be about uninterrupted speed so to regularly have obstacles thrown in your way that slow you down to a halt, makes it the worst feeling.

There's a new 2D HD Sonic game in the works. Wouldn't hold my breath, they'll add some gimmick to it that goes against what should make Sonic great.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
Well, going back to 2D is a step in the right direction. :)

Hopefully it'll be on the virtual console and cheap.

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
Can't wait for the new 2D Sonic game!  :w00t:
I hope, we can see something in the Tokyo Games Show about it... or maybe not! ><

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline DHG

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • That was an Unknown Unknown
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
Sonic to me was a good series back when it was on the Genesis I bought his Ultimate Sega Gensis Collection game on the 360 so I have all the original games and I have the dreamcast ones that were pretty decent. Now they're trying too hard to release more games and to me it's gonna kill him. Cause his last big game was  crap not mention stupid to add another hedgehog to the mix. Also his "storybook series" games like Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight were just god awful. His games will never be as good as his old games on the genesis they were addicting, fun, and had badass music.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 03:12:17 AM »
For those interested, the Sonic Mega Collection + is $5 at Direct2Drive now: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/09/5-bioshock-direct2drive-sale-features-amazing-deals.ars

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
His games will never be as good as his old games on the genesis they were addicting, fun, and had badass music.

The music! A classic song such as the BGM for Green Hill Zone is now replaced in modern games with cheesy rock that would be more suitable for a video montage of surfboarding.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
I know. I love the music in Sonic as well. It was unique and always well suited for the zone.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
didn't really play sonic since i didnt have any sega systems. but look how skinny that bastard is! hes like a kenyan hedgehog or something. and tails is uber cute!

me neither, I played a few and fell off the loop de loop and gave up XD

But fuck, homie is a huge Sonic Fan like Asmo there, he bumps tracks in his car but we been playing BioWare's Sonic Chronicles and shit is CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY

Sonic Video Insider: Episode 1

The closest I ever played an RPG is Grand Theft Auto but fuck, nailing these monsters are HARD.

And go support a local product!! E-TOWN!!

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
Sonic needs another good 2D platformer, the new game best bring back the Sonic 1-3 style. Played that shit so much as a kid, should get the Wii VC releases..

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: D-Unit - Stay Alive (feat. Vasco)