JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hello Venus - What Are You Doing Today

Author Topic: Duel of the Ages - Fighting Game Poll  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Duel of the Ages - Fighting Game Poll
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
 :bangchair:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Duel of the Ages - Fighting Game Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:23:31 PM »
I personally voted for Virtua Fighter.

The reasoning for me is easy. Take a look at any character's move list in a Tekken game. You can say that maybe 10% of those moves are practical and useful. Now look at a character move list from VF. Every move has it's use. If you're button mashing in VF, you will be caught out. It takes some dedication to get into it, but when it pays off, it's exciting. I hate to say it's like real fighting, cause it's not, it is still a video game. But the level of training, mental games, the timing, makes it seem that way. It's neatly balanced too, you can't complain about other players spamming projectiles because there are none. Every move can be countered. Each fighter handles differently from each other, it may take a while to find the right one for you, whether you're an all out offensive guy like El Blaze or a counter attacker like Vanessa, but there's definately someone that suits a player's fighting style.

Despite it being the most technical fighting game out there IMO, it also is probably the easiest one to get into. The practice game modes are fantastic, it teaches the basics well and then allows you to practice each move with a character til you get it right as well as show you the timing each command has if you're stuck. I haven't seen it replicated in any other fighting games out there. I had a ton of fun with VF5 even when focusing nearly entirely on Kage-maru.

My second choice would be Dissidia, it's not technically a fighting game in the purest sense, but it has a ton of depth to it regardless. Also can easily suck you in by constantly rewarding your efforts into RPG mechanics that can make your character become uniquely customisable to you through your selection of equipment and accessories. It's got an awful lot of game modes and probably the best single player campaign/story for any fighting game (though that's not saying much!)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:14:03 AM »
Soul Calibur for me. :)

Honorable Mention to Street Fighter 2 and Killer Instinct. ultraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa comboooooooooooooooooo

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:55 AM »
Bushido Blade for sure. What I would give for a new one.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »
I'll disagree with Tuffty about Tekken's moves being that useless - most are limited, but knowing the obscure moves and when to use them separates the beginners and the experts.

Blazblue tops the list for me - I love the character design and the way it tosses the traditional paradigms for special moves out the window. Tekken is a close second - I've been a huge fan of the series since Tekken 3. I play Soul Calibur most overall, since my brother is into it.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
Guilty Gear for me. It was the game that got me into seriously playing fighting games (Only for a little while though). Before that, I mostly just button mashed. Even in some of the other games I learned after GG, doing combos felt the coolest there than in other games. I enjoyed watching high level play with most of the characters. I thought I would like BlazBlue, but it feels like there's too much focus on offense and you can't defend for too long or you'll really get messed up. Maybe just wasn't used to the system yet. Since I play really defensive and wait until I find an opening in every other game, I got frustrated in BB.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »
Street Fighter.

i was around 7 or 8 when i first saw my brother play street fighter. it was the most popular game in the arcades. Everyone was trying to figure out how to do hadoukens and shoryukens, which kill you in 2/3 hits =P people were saying you had to do full circles =D

Then SF2 came out. everyone who played video games played that at least once. 8 characters! Everyone was so bent on winning, you'd see people put hankerchiefs on the joysticks so you couldn't see how the moves were done!

I'm still playing SSF4AE, and I still play random sf games until today, even sf2 (on emulator =P). It has the appeal, strategy, mind games and hype mixed together well perfectly.
word.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hello Venus - What Are You Doing Today