JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - independent

Author Topic: Videogames 50 Post Challenge *Postwhoring Olympics Special*  (Read 16682 times)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
Re: Videogames 50 Post Challenge *Postwhoring Olympics Special*
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:02 AM »
C9. Favorite screencap from any game.
A couple from two very different games. But two of my favorites.

C10. Your favorite videogame character.
I gotta go with Solid Snake. I like how he's gone from unsure super soldier pawn -> savvy mentor -> worn down wise veteran throughout the games yet was bad ass all the way through.

C11. Favorite videogame villain, and why.
GLaDOS because she is funny as hell and still menacing.

C12. Your crossover game (Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia)
I don't know if this counts but I would like a Snatcher/Policenauts cyberpunk RPG but open world like Fallout. I only thought of it because Fallout 3 had a Snatcher reference of Gibson with his head in his lap at the capitol post building when you find the key for the model house.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
this asshole. No other villian made me rage as hard as Gary Oak did.

Mario Kart 64! That's an easy one.

C13. Favorite videogame soundtrack.
Zelda: A Link to the Past. Not a bad track on the whole soundtrack. Here's an epic 15 minute medley of all them :)

C14. Favorite online game/MMO.
It's a tossup between Anarchy Online and World of Warcraft. Lord of the Rings Online gets an honorable mention atleast for being my favorite mmo world but Anarchy Online was my first venture into MMOs and I LOVED the game. Unfortunately I got into the game when AO was losing grip on the MMO market at the time and it was on the way out so I didn't get to enjoy the game in it's prime. I spent much more time in WoW raiding. If AO had WoWs smooth combat/raiding system I'd have no need to play any other game. Final answer: Anarchy Online.

C15. Least favorite videogame ever.
The first legit Dragonball game in the states.. I can't even remember the name but before it I owned the Japanese imports of the GT game that you had to swap trick into the PSOne and that game was boss. But when they started making DBZ games in the US the first effort was terrible. Terrible combat system, clunky controls, and just a serious letdown.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
C7. A game console that didn't last long enough.

Again I can only think of the Atari Lynx. I could barely find games for it and then it was already dead. But it was fun while the batteries it lasted.

C8. A videogame song that makes you want to dance.

Uh, I don't know if I have a favorite. But here's Isaac with a poop hat.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
C2. Favourite current gaming platform (PS3, PC, Wii, 360) and why.
Eh, I honestly don't do a lot of current gaming cus I'm poor XD but really, PC seems best.

C3. Favourite "dead" console (NES, Genesis) and why.
SNES, man. Shit was so awesome, I loved my SNES to the very end and SNES games are probably the ones I emulate most often when nostalgia kicks in.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
C6. Favorite control method (360 pad, mouse + keyboard, Wiimote, etc).
I suppose it's mouse + keyboard now. I used to have problems with all sorts of gamepads even as a kid because I squeeze them too hard, especially if it's an exciting game (my hands would hurt so much after a Final Fantasy boss on PS). I don't mind different sorts of controls, but a part of me also thinks I've got too lazy to bother with learning much new control methods. I enjoyed some games with Wii, for example, but I never really delved into learning to use it the best possible way. It was more like "ok, the screen is telling me to shake the mote. Ok, let's shake it then." It didn't come naturally like movement with mouse + keyboard. Mouse + keyboard has become like an extension of my body haha.

...That was a long answer to a simple question lol.

I cannot really answer to this because there are so many consoles I've never even played :/ I thought it was weird though, how it seemed it took a while for companies to learn how to make the most out of PS1 graphics (see: the difference between FF7 & FF8) and when they got it down, it was time to move on to the next console. So I dunno. Sometimes I appreciate it more if people are making the most out of a limited capability instead of pushing out another console to make things fancier. I mean I'd take a billion games like FF9 over any of the PS2+ Final Fantasies, but I'm probably in the minority rofl. Obviously it won't make as much money to the companies, so...

Stryfe stole my answer :tama-mad: So I need to think about this for a while...

Ok, let's go kweh :3

How is this even possible :lol: Well, I'll get one of my own from L4D2

This one is ok

Notice my sympathetic "aw"

Bonus: A bunch of LOTRO players on their mounts jumping off Weathertop
http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Lotro-ScreenShot-15.jpg
From this post: http://www.containsmoderateperil.com/lotro-screenshots-my-journey-through-middle-earth/
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 05:24:57 PM »
C6. Favorite control method (360 pad, mouse + keyboard, Wiimote, etc).
i like the wiimote because is fun XD

fkn dreamcast. i remember playing street fighter in it... or trying because honestly i hated the controllers... but it was cool, better than ps1

uhhhh no idea about this

mmm any cap that involves moogles or cactuars or both :D

Cloud Stryfe

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
C1. Favourite videogame and why.

Okami: amazing artwork and gameplay
Gran Turismo: unlimited re-play value
FFXII: great storyline

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »

Humm, several good options once again, but...

What can change the nature of a man? The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment remains one of the most original main characters in any game I've played. An immortal, tortured soul who has lived a thousand vastly different lives, living in a strange, magical world he himself has manipulated for thousands of years, with no recollection of what he has done... now that's a good backstory to build a game on.

I could pick other characters (like Morte) from the same game, that's how good P:T was. But let's just go with the lead.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »

Playstation 2: Huge amount of great games of all genres, still has acceptable graphics in this modern age and it has the best controllers out there.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »

Bayonetta. Many label her as just being the female Dante from Devil May Cry but it actually does her a bit of disservice. I say there's more to her that makes her stand out above other female game characters. Seems like female game characters are either shown as being weak and in need of protection, or capable badasses but presenting a personality that suggests they're asexual. Bayonetta's both a capable badass but is also sexually attractive and aware of it. She's looking for a good time alright, it's just that she doesn't think you're up for it. In that sense, she's actually quite sexually intimidating, perhaps the first time I've ever found that from a female game character. I find that aspect really interesting. On top of it all, she just stands out visually from other game characters, with some wonderful design work that goes all the way down to the frames of her glasses.

C35. Animals and videogames: What's the first thing that comes to your mind?

Animal Crossing. Fuck you Tom Nook.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »
Aw I don't think I have any pictures of mine saved :(

But female, paragon Commander Shepard :wub:

So badass. Strong woman. Doesn't need to be a douchebag to kick ass. Confident, sexy. DAT VOICE. Fucking best ever. Playing as her makes me feel like I could conquer the world. :D I also like that there's the option of making her lesbian (even if there is only one romance option, and I've never taken it because I don't find the blue chick attractive). Now if I could only finish ME2 & play ME3 one day >_<

I'm doing two because I love them ^_____^

KEFKA (Final Fantasy VI) :heart:

This fabulous, hilarious, random bitch. Kefka didn't have a troubled past like not getting enough love from his mother. Kefka just wanted to watch the world burn. How many villains have actually succeeded in destroying the world? Well, Kefka has. And he has an awesome theme music :D

GLADOS (Portal; kind of Portal 2)

:heart: I've never enjoyed being dissed as much as I do when it's from Glados. Oh, Glados. I would link a video but honestly, if you don't know Glados yet from playing Portal, you should PLAY PORTAL. And Portal 2 because it has tons more to do than Portal and is awesome. :heart:

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »

I'm a little tempted to pick GLaDOS myself since I actually just played through the Portal 2 co-op stuff and she was just non-stop hilarious. But...

SHODAN, The malevolent, megalomaniac rogue AI with a terrifyingly chaotic, glitchy voice from the System Shock games still deserves some attention for creating some truly scary and memorable gaming moments. Also I rather suspect she was an inspiration to whoever came up with GLaDOS, hahaa.

Quote from: YouTube

--

Oh and I could've just as easily picked Andrew Ryan from BioShock, guess I have more good(bad) memories of SHODAN. Dem -Shock games all sure have brilliant antagonists, that's for certain.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »

NES! It's my youth and some of the games on it are still among the best games ever. Super Mario Bros 3 and Kirby's Adventure come to mind  :thumbup

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »

For me, the most memorable is Liquid Snake from Metal Gear Solid. Not only for those memorable moments like fighting him piloting the Hind or a bare knuckle fist fight on top of Metal Gear, but for that ultimate mind fuck near the end. Disguising himself as Master Miller and feeding you advice via codec through the whole game, it actually turns out your trusted friend was disguised as your greatest enemy and that he was getting you to start up Metal Gear as opposed to shutting it down. I don't think a reveal like that has ever been bettered (other than perhaps in Bioshock)

But speaking of mind fucks, a shoutout also has to go out to the Icarus AI from Deus Ex. Imagine this, you're wandering around future Paris receiving codec calls from your support team all the while when you see another one start to come through.

*INCOMING TRANSMISSION*
Me: "Geez, Tracer Tong again? Does he ever..."
Icarus: "I NOW HAVE FULL ACCESS TO YOUR SYSTEMS"
Me: ..........

You later find it's a rogue AI that's designed to track you down. So again, imagine from that point your codec calls from now on is from this AI taunting you, trying to persuade you to stop doing your mission, telling you it has access to a satellite with infra red and x-ray and that it can see you are afraid. And you even walk past a desk telephone, you pick it up and Icarus is the one calling for you. It really gives you the feeling that it's getting closer to you, that you're being trapped and it's done so well. Rogue AI's really can be quite sinister huh? :lol:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
C4. You may take 3 videogame characters to Tokyo Disneyland to frolic around. Whom do you take and why?

- DOA's Kasumi for eye candy
- Sr. Meta Knight to keep an eye out for trouble
- Mario's kart for easy transportation

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »
ohh my GOD another Shenmue fanatic?? Whats your darts high score? I wanna load my game up just to see what mine is :lol:

did you see my review on the "review the last game you played" thread? I think you'd appreciate it.

You have no idea.... I stalked the npc's (yes even some animals) and made a notebook of every name, daily routines, where they worked and lived. :sweatdrop: I have no idea what my darts score was though. And I did see your review, nice job on that. I might have to do one myself if I ever feel non lazy.  :P

hmmm so many. [noembed]

But I gotta go with MGS1. hnnnnnnggggg nostalgia! :heart:

[noembed]

[/noembed]

C14. Favorite online game/MMO.

I've honestly never played an MMO. :lol: For just online games I used to play Unreal Tournament and Halo 2 quite a bit.

C15. Least favorite videogame ever.

Can't really think of anything I hated that much. I usually know if I'm gonna like a game or not before I buy it. I guess my parents got me a couple Lord of the Rings games when I was little that were pretty bad. I don't know if they were crap or if I was just too little to comprehend them.  :lol:

C16. Game that most needs a sequel.

Besides Shenmue? :'( GIVE ME STAR WARD BATTLEFIELD 3 AND PERFECT DARK 2 DAMN IT! And real perfect dark. Futuristic sci-fi, not that teenagers in deserts and jungles voodoo mysticism crap in PD zero.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
C5. The best song from any videogame.

+1 on the Okami soundtrack.

And:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2012, 11:53:41 AM »
Say WUUUUUUUT I don't think I have any answer for this

It's a bit unfair because the only entire soundtracks I've ever listened to/had are Final Fantasy ones. >_<

So of course I'd say something like Final Fantasy VI and I already linked the ending theme from that before.

Aside from that, I really like some of the music from Silent Hill, but again, I've never listened to any complete soundtracks or nuffin.

Here's the opening theme from Silent Hill 1 anyways, since I like it ^^

It's just perfect to create atmosphere, makes me ~feel things~ :cry: So pretty, yet melancholic and broken >_<

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »

360 for me, in fact it may well end up being my favourite console ever. Some of the best games I've ever played have come out on it and the multiplayer experiences have been second to none.

I never really got into gaming until the PS1 so I'm gonna have to go with that. But I may have picked it anyway considering that some fantastic games came out for it. FFVII, Tomb Raider, Tekken 3, Broken Sword to name a few. Good stuff.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »

Hrrrmm...  I honestly can't really think of any I've played. Been meaning to try Kingdom Hearts on DS, tho.

For me it's most probably the first BioShock. The orchestral score was already fantastic, but when you add all the oldies from the 1930's, 40's and 50's and consider how perfectly it all worked in the setting... that game really did everything right.

Honorable mention to the wonderful Machinarium OST.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - independent