JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: A Pink - Hush

Author Topic: Next Gen Consoles (PS4/XONE/WiiU)  (Read 13862 times)

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
Re: Next Gen Consoles (PS4/XONE/WiiU)
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
I'm not really into games like I used to be. I think that part of me largely died when I bought a PS3 and then realised that I'd never get to see Kingdom Hearts 3 on it. However, even though I feel like I'm mostly past my game-playing stage of life, the new consoles - or at least the promise of new games - still has me really interested.

Everything Microsoft has done with the Xbox One in the last year or less has really been quite entertaining. I remember thinking, as loyal to Sony as I am, I would have bought the next gen Xbox had I decided to buy one of the consoles. Now I would have absolutely no qualms buying the PS4 instead (if games still gave me that level of satisfaction, anyway). It's not that I see the PS4 as being greatly superior, but more that Microsoft have made it so there's no reason for me to depart from the Sony brand.

I'd be lying if I said there are no next-gen games that have me excited: Child of Light (even though it's available on the current gen machines) and Dragon Age: Inquisition are definitely making me think twice about some of my life decisions (not to mention news of Kingdom Hearts 3). Furthermore, there's comfort in familiarity when it comes to the controls. I've heard the arguments for the Xbox controller being more intuitive than the PS controller, but 10+ years of playing the PS2 and later PS3 mean that I couldn't care less.

That debate aside, Nintendo really intrigues me. Everyone argues about PS vs Xbox, but Nintendo has managed to separate its consoles into a niche, post-gamecube (though I'm still wondering how successful you'd call the Wii in hindsight). It's not even so much that they seem to try going in a different direction in terms of hardware (though the WiiU concept is neat, I admit), but more that they've been able to hold onto Nintendo exclusives. Had Final Fantasy remained a PS exclusive, I can imagine there'd be a lot of Xbox converts still feeling the hurt. Regardless of the technology, Nintendo has a culture ingrained in it that both the Xbox and PS seem to lack. People may associate Halo, Gears of War and Fable with Xbox, whilst others will associate Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Tomb Raider with Playstation, but the relationship just isn't as strong as Mario and Luigi, Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda are with Nintendo. I don't see Nintendo as having wronged its loyalists at all. Heck, even if you own a PS4 or Xbox One, there's a good chance that you'll still be playing your 3DS or whatever portable Nintendo device it is you have.

Okay, I don't understand this industry anymore. Good night.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:25:56 PM by Deft-Monkey »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:58 AM »
Yeah regardless of what your feelings are over Xbox One or PS4, if you're an impartial gamer then you would be doing a disservice to yourself to count out the Wii U. It probably has more games I would want to play right now than the main consoles. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Project X (or whatever it will end up being called), Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World. And then you think of what's to come like a new Zelda, a new game from the Mario team or even a new Metroid (please). Sure I guess it's outdated hardware compared to the PS4 or the One but goddamn Mario Kart 8 is a good looking game which shows that Nintendo's design work is second to none. Makes me excited for any future games to come. My only concern is the lack of third party support. It could really do with it.

It's a weird time right now. New consoles are out but little to play on it. Any game that does come out is also cross gen and available on 360 and PS3 so the next gen versions can't really shine as bright as it could when you have to pull off resources to work on current gen versions to be released at the same date. You wish it was different but a 100 million units for 360/PS3 is nothing to scoff at in potential sales so it may be this for a while yet. It needs games just for the new consoles to start shifting people over and that looks like it will come. Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age, Sunset Overdrive, FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Project Beast. They'll all come eventually, although it's in 2015 for a lot of them so this year seems kind of a dud for now. I'm prepared to wait it out a bit longer. Still, gets me interested for this years E3, because if last year was about selling the hardware, this year it has to be about games. Microsoft needs to come out with some names and exclusives to get people excited and Sony has to maintain momentum. Should be good.

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2014, 05:33:31 AM »
Kids telling us how it is:

Interesting figures for the best-selling consoles of all time in there too, which obviously clears my doubts about the Wii. However, I am worried about the kid who compares the Xbox One to a personal slave.

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2014, 03:28:28 PM »
It looked like Wii U was going to have a little more third party support when it launched given that Call of Duty and an Arkham title were released for it, but there really hasn't been much since. And it may be outdated hardware comparatively, but they've definitely upped their game, at least where graphics are concerned (for Nintendo anyway). I know I keep saying this, but that system has SO MUCH potential and it's just not quite meeting it with the game releases. The launch title Mario was bland, making Super Mario 3D World seem too little, too late... though it's still one of the best Mario games in the entire franchise. I'm stoked for Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros., I'm just kind of tired of waiting so long in between good games for that system. I love my Wii U, but it's been a Hulu machine for the last couple of months or so. :(

I guess Nintendo is still realllllyyyy focusing on the 3DS, which is great because that's an amazing handheld.

But after reading Tuffty's post, it seems like it's that way for XBone and PS4?

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »
^ The third party situation on the Wii U is a little more...dire, then PS4 and Xbox One. PS4 and Xbox One are just stuck in that phase where they can't really make the full transfer over from old consoles to new. Too large a userbase of 360's and PS3's, too much of an expensive risk to focus only on making a game only just for the new consoles at this point, when not nearly everyone is compelled to pay £300+ on a new console if it doesn't have that many compelling games right now (me for one). There will come a point where that's no longer an issue as more and more games come out for it and console prices drop over time but that's just how it is right now.

Wii U however is in that awkward position because, I feel, there's not enough Wii U owners. even this far in, to justify most publishers spending time and money on making Wii U compatible versions of these great looking next gen games like Arkham Knight. Taking that as an example, there would have to be other compelling reasons for people to opt for the Wii U version, some dramatic gameplay differences that makes it the better playing version at least, otherwise it's automatically the lesser looking version by default and who would necessarily want that? It's a little telling that the only third party titles worth getting exited for have Nintendo involvement with it in some way  (Bayonetta 2 is partly funded by Nintendo and Monolith, the studio behind Project X, only does work for Nintendo). You had hope in the beginning, with promises of more third party support from publishers but after the launch, just as you mentioned mini, the Wii U has just had no releases in the months after to keep any interest in it as you're waiting so long in between good games. Then you have the marketing confusion around the name (people considered the Wii U as an accessory to the Wii and not a brand new console) and being shown at a time where the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft were already going to better it in terms of hardware architecture... it's just really unfortunate.

But like I said, they are building up a good catalog of games, both now and in the near future. The possibilities are exciting. As a gamer, you'd be a fool to disregard the Wii U. I wouldn't say it's in competition with the Xbox One or PS4, but it's in it's own little niche pumping out some great looking. great playing and comparatively cheaper full retail price games. If I was going to buy a new console this year, I'd probably go for it.

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
The Xbox One and PS4 stopped being of any interest to me when I learnt about the webcam features and integrated voice control. I understand wanting/needing to innovate and move forward, but these technologies is not something I want in my house, nor do I think they'll greatly benefit console gaming.

I got a WiiU at launch, and it is truly an amazing system. I agree, the games have been few and far apart, but the quality of these games do make up for the wait, in my opinion. I do, of course, understand that people aren't as patient as me. I also have to say that Nintendo's e-shop is far and beyond the easiest service for downloading games. The PlayStation Store (on the PS3 at any rate) is awful. Our Xbox360 is so noisy, I can only stand to have it on for about 30 minutes at a time - I've had the thing for years, and I still struggle with the menus XD; Uuuugh.

I've more or less always been a Nintendo fangirl, so there is probably some bias involved - but, I mean, have you tried the WiiU? The off-screen play feature alone makes it worth it. And let's not forget the virtual console - this console has now made it possible for European fans to play Earthbound on their own consoles. I hope we'll get more releases like this. I'd love for the American audience to be able to experience Terranigma, for instance (probably never going to happen, but damn XD).

I do think the age long console war is pretty silly, in the end, people will choose the system that fills their needs. No matter what system you support, it's interesting seeing what features people embrace, and what features are left unexplored and neglected. It'll be interesting to see where this generation will lead us.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: A Pink - Hush