JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: After School - Timeless

Author Topic: MM x Tsunku 2 Translations  (Read 28643 times)

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
MM x Tsunku 2 Translations
« on: February 26, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »
So it's been a year since I've put up the last translation from this book. :fainted:
Sorry for the long wait and I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I started to work on the translations at work, when I'm not doing anything, which is often. XD Especially for the upcoming month as it is spring break. So that means I'll be sitting there twiddling my thumbs for most of the day. :lol: That also means I will have time to maybe finally finish this book!!! Yay! :farofflook:

Anyways, it has been two years since I started this and I think and hope that my Japanese has improved since then, so I went back to the very beginning and re-did all of my previous translations from this book. And then, knowing that I can't write in English at all *cough* I went back and edited everything. But knowing me, I probably still have tons of awkward places because I tried to keep the original meaning. Oh well. So sorry for all the grammar mistakes.

If you want to use these anywhere else, please ask me first!! If not, may the wrath of Miki-sama be upon you!  :kekeke: Along with my wrath too.  :angry1:

You can find the scans to the book here.

Updates:
2.26.07 - In time for her birthday, first up, sexy evil queen Fujimoto Miki!:heart:
2.27.07 - The girl who started this all, charmy Ishikawa Rika!
3.01.07 - Morning Musume leader until May, the handsome Yoshizawa Hitomi!
3.04.07 - Soon to be sub-leader, 500 yen coin collector Takahashi Ai!
3.05.07 - Over-reacting MM member, MC Niigaki Risa!
3.06.07 - Ex-brains of MM, Konno Asami!
3.10.07 - Genki, genki Pi pi pi Mako, Ogawa Makoto!
3.12.07 - Is it a turtle? An alien? An alien turtle? No, it's Kamei Eri!
3.15.07 - She's pink, she's cute, she's Michishige Sayumi!
3.18.07 - It's everybody's favorite wonky eye yankii, Tanaka Reina!
3.21.07 - The energetic, loud midget of MM, Yaguchi Mari!
4.03.07 - The ultimate queen of H!P, Master Teacher Nakazawa Yuko!
4.05.07 - The original ace of Morning Musume, yogurt eating Goto Maki!
4.06.07 - Often shoved to the back, the "Obasan" with a great voice, Yasuda Kei!
4.10.07 - The cute, adorable, smile of Morning Musume, Natsumi Abe!
4.13.07 - The loud, energetic leader of the Top Two, Tsuji Nozomi!
4.16.07 - Wish her the best of luck, the other twin of the Top Two, Kago Ai!
4.19.07 - The tall, kind leader who communicated in her own silent way, Iida Kaori!
4.24.07 - The King? God? Crazy man? Of H!P! Da man, himself, Tsunku! Part 1
4.26.07 - Read all about Tsunku's view on each member, Tsunku Part 2!

Well, it's been exactly two months, but I finished. All done. Well, there's actually the discography to translate, but I don't feel like doing that. Besides, I think most of you know about that. Hehe. I shall now go crash on the bed. lol I guess I won't have anything to fill up my empty time at school. lol Hope you guys enjoyed reading it and learned something new about each member. I sure did. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:24:39 PM by Fenrir »

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Fujimoto Miki

Looking forward excitingly to discovering eventful things.

In Morning Musume, more than anybody else in having an eventful life is none other than Fujimoto Miki. In the middle of her rise in popularity as a solo singer she was suddenly placed into Morning Musume. All the fans were surprised and naturally bewildered. But, while having a fun challenge in getting an exciting experience in a new environment, at sometime, “I’m Morning Musume Mikitty,” has completely soaked in. Her birthplace is Hokkaido, so it’s no wonder she is reliable because she is noble and magnificent, like Hokkaido.

Birthday: 1985.02.26
 Blood type: A
 Birthplace: Hokkaido
 Debut Song: “Shabondama” (2003.7.30)
 Stage Debut: Saitama Super Arena (2003.05.04)

Yuko Nohji: After debuting as a solo, you joined Morning Musume. In a group, you had a checkered career, huh.

Fujimoto Miki: When I joined Morning Musume, it felt like something impossible happened! It was not only me, but the surrounding people as well and the people who saw me debut, were all thinking, “Eh?!” Something like this has never happened up until now.

At first, you also auditioned in the same audition as the 4th generation, right?

Yes. I always wanted to become a singer, and so, I applied to Asayan’s audition.

Did you have any other occupations you wanted become?

Some others I thought were good were beauty artist and social welfare work. I love my Grandma and Grandpa, so I want to take care of them. And, if possible, a singer was good.  

None of them are jobs were you can take it easy.

Ahahaha, certainly.

Before you applied for the auditions, what did you think of Morning Musume?

At that time, “Love Machine” came out and Morning Musume songs were playing everywhere. I thought it was great. An all girl group which the members had a power nobody else had.  

Between a group and solo, which activities did you have interest in?

When I was doing auditions, I hadn’t thought that far yet. Anyways, all of my feelings were “I want to sing.”

And, did you make the final selection at this time?

No. Only half-way. I came all the way to Tokyo, but failed.

How did you feel?

I was really disappointed. It was painful. But, there wasn’t anything that could be done by myself. Originally, I had feelings of that I wouldn’t be accepted when I went to Tokyo. Therefore, if there was a next chance, I would take it. But, I didn’t think of giving up.  

And talk of you going solo?

Around half a year after, I think. They hadn’t decided for me to go solo, but suddenly from the office, they asked, “Would you come to Tokyo?”

During the time when you didn’t make the Morning Musume audition, did they say something like, “We’ll contact you again?

No, not at all. Suddenly, the phone call came, and it was like “Why now?” They said, “We want to fully explain it, so is it okay if we go meet you?” and the office people came all the way to Hokkaido. How I was going to debut wasn’t decided yet, but they asked if I could come to Tokyo to prepare little by little.

Did you think this was your chance?

Yes. I didn’t know how it was going to be, but I wanted to go see.

You were still 16. It definitely took great courage to take that chance.

Is it really? But that’s because in the rural areas there is little chance. Therefore, to have something like that said to me, of course, I thought I go try.

Weren’t you scared?

Yes. I was scared that I thought it was better to head back (laughs).  

And the loneliness of leaving your hometown?

That happened. But I didn’t cry. I went for it because it was something I wanted to do. My parents didn’t cry either and they just said, “Well, go do your best.” The real feelings of “loneliness” came much later. The next morning after coming to Tokyo, when I woke up, I remember I thought, “I really did come.”

That was a year before you debuted?

Yes. And before I debuted, I came to the office and did OL [office lady] stuff.

OL? Did you train?

I picked up calls, served tea to the customers, and cut up magazines that everybody was in. Of course, I also did lessons.

You just went through tons of things. OL to solo to Morning Musume (laughs).

Ahahaha. But I learned a lot of things and had fun. I came when I was in my 2nd year of high school, so up until then, I didn’t have any chances to do things that were related to an adult. I met all kinds of staff people and learned what kind of work they did. And I remembered their faces. I’m glad I did all that.

And you debuted as a solo artist. You experienced a unit in Gomattou and had your first solo tour…

In one year, it felt like an ordinary experience. Even as a solo, I appeared on “Kohaku Utagassen” [Red and White Singing Contest].  

And the first time to appear on “Kohaku” on New Year’s Eve, it was decided that you would join Morning Musume.

Moreover, it was the beginning of the year, so I was half finished with my solo tour. At that time, the fans were already crying (laughs). I replied, “It’s ok. It’s not like I’m going to be gone.”

It was a big shock to the fans, so it’s supposedly a tough thing.

I guess so. I suppose they always thought I will be doing things by myself as “Fujimoto Miki.”  

Were you shocked?

I wasn’t shocked, but because being in groups was not my strong point, I did think if I would be able to perform in a group. But other than wondering about joining, I was totally ok.  

Anyways, when you joined, did you think, “If they just let me passed the first time?”

No, not at all. I was able to experience being solo and be able to participate in a group. I’m able to be happy two times more than most people.

In joining Morning Musume, was it different from what you imagined?

Well, I didn’t really imagine it at all.

You are a type who doesn’t have too much expectation?

Let’s see. For example, if I’m doing this kind of work, then, of course, there will be painful times. There will also be tough times. When I imagined that everyday will be fun and all sparkling if I debuted, then after I joined I thought it was tough (laughs). Normally, you don’t think of just wanting to sing. Even if there are tough times, I just think that there are even times like these.

What was your toughest time?

When remembering the dances and such, it’s completely different from solo. By yourself, it’s ok to just remember the choreography, but in a group, remembering position and movement one by one is hard. Moreover, when I joined, I had to remember about 10 songs at one time. There was no time, so in two hours I remembered two songs. Of course, that was tough.  

Didn’t you become discouraged?

At a basic level, I didn’t. I hate losing and if I couldn’t do it, my feelings do become “I’ll do it!” I didn’t have many worries at all.  

Really?

Yeah. I try not to have any worries. But I did have times where I did brood a little. But no matter how much I thought about it, there were a lot of things that can’t be helped. I don’t want to worry about things that can’t be helped. If there are times I really have to worry about, then at that time, at that moment, there’s a good reason to be worrying about it.

Did you also have something that you really worried about?

Yes. At that time, I don’t know how everybody thinks, but when I cry, I feel like why am I crying, and then I recover. When I fall, I really fall. That’s why, if I fall, I want to fall quickly. Because then I can only go up afterwards.

Oh, so cool.

Really? Aren’t I more like a person who doesn’t really think?

Going back, was the happiest thing was joining Morning Musume?

About happy things…When something good happens, I’m happier than the others. Basically saying, I knew after I joined Morning Musume.

More happy than being solo?

Yes. Even though I was happy, if I was by myself, I would think, “I’m glad,” and feel quite calm. But when I’m with everybody, I would be fired up and go “Wah!” With that, I think that’s a good part of being in a group.  

If there are 12 people, the 12 parts of happiness doesn’t become one, but becomes 12 times more?

Umm, maybe more than 12 times. There are more kids that are happier than me (laughs).

Fairly worried about group activities, did you power-up from the good points of being in a group?

Well, even now, groups are not my specialty, but, now, when I think about the group of 12, including Iida, “We’re all together because of this group of 12.” Probably, if it was another 12 people, it would be difficult, but if it’s this 12 people, it will be ok.

You are 6th generation, but some how 6th generation is more of an image of “the 3 members and Fujimoto.”

That’s true. When the manager calls for the 6th members to come, he would also say, “Ah, Fujimoto, you don’t have to come.” I’m like, “Then please don’t say 6th generation!” (laughs). That often happens a lot. Immediately after joining, the 3 members had a PB come out. In the beginning, the 3 of them had lots of events together. During that time, I was doing things by myself. Having said that, there’s also an age difference, but no matter what, it has become an image of “6th generation and Fujimoto Miki.”

When the soon to be graduating Iida and Ishikawa are included, the total amount of graduating people is 6 people after 6th generation joined.  

It’s somehow like a graduation boom (laughs).

When somebody graduates, does the atmosphere of within the group changes?

It changes vaguely. But everybody gets used to it quickly. When we experience more graduations, we quickly become use to it I think. Moreover, if it is before the graduation and after the graduation the single comes out, we do recordings of versions without that person in the photo shoots, T.V. shows, and such. If there is something like that, I would remember, “Ah, that’s right. She graduated.” With that kind of feelings, I get used to it little by little, I think. But, when recording, we often have talks like, “In the end there is one person missing; it really feels small.”  

Do you think that you have to make up for the graduated person’s part?

For me, I go without changing; I continue as I have done it.  

After now, with the leaders also changing, what do you think the new Morning Musume will become?  

In a good way, it would be great if we didn’t get along. Morning Musume has started and continue as it was in the beginning as a “unit with rivalry.” Even though we usually get along, when it comes to work, I think it would be good if we didn’t get along in a good way. It’s not that we are on bad terms nor are we all clinging going all “Hey~<3.” I think it would be good if we are able to go with more rivalry. Without restricting the companionship between members, I think it would good if we have a sense of rivalry against other artists.

Is the sense of rivalry usually necessary?

I want to have it; I wish others to have it.

That kind of tension is also one of Morning Musume charms.

I don’t see it, but I understand that a “sparkling” feeling comes out. If more of that kind of feeling comes out I think Morning Musume will become more and more interesting. But when you think the “sparkling” will come out, you can’t get it out (laughs). But that is an individual problem I think.  

Fujimoto is like a firework about to go off.

Ahahahaha. You can say it like that.

At the time you debuted as a solo, when you sang during a Morning Musume tour, did that “sparkling” feeling come out?

No, nothing like that happened. During a live, I had feelings like, “Let’s go have fun!” I wasn’t really nervous.  

Before, you professed that you are not the type that is tense. Is that really true?

I don’t. When it happens, it happens, but I rarely do. I don’t get nervous before a live, like the other members do where they become, “This is bad, what should I do?!” But it’s good to be tense too.

That’s rare.

It’s like “a person is a person and I am me.” Before a live, I usually just say, “Ah, it’s about to start.” That’s why, before a live, Rika will always be next to me. She said, “When I’m with Miki, I calm down” (laughs). Tanaka, also, comes right before the real show, saying, “This is bad! This is bad!” but I reply (in a cool manner), “Well, even if you are nervous, it can’t be helped.”

Before a live, it’s like you are a refuge (laughs).

If I become nervous, I can’t do it.

Well, it’s only theoretically.

If I’m tense, I think it’s “wasteful.” But a tense feeling like “I’ll definitely decide here,” is important. It’s a live after all, so right before it starts, if you are nervous, it’s wasteful.  It’s not fun when you are (laughs).

I see.

Probably, I get nervous later than other people. If I come out on stage, later, I’m already in high spirits and having fun. In other words, the time to be nervous is really small, so I don’t think I get nervous as much.

During your time as solo, you came on stage displaying your courage that no newcomer had.

In “Kohaku,” I was the top batter. At first, I wasn’t nervous at all. While I was thinking was it ok if I wasn’t nervous, the intro of the song started. The people who were on stage disappeared and I became alone. At that moment, for the first time, I was nervous.

Because the time to be nervous is small, does that energy get used somewhere else?  

Probably (laughs).

Immediately following that “Kohaku,” were you notified that you were joining Morning Musume?

I was tricked. Right after I finished, it was said to me that there was news. But, in reality, there was no news.  

Did you have any predictions?

No. But during “Kohaku,” the 4th and 5th generation was dancing behind me. And, if I think of it now, I wonder if it was for that. However, at that time, I didn’t even dream of that happening.

Was the staff uneasy?

My manager didn’t even know. In another room, he heard it at the same time and said “Eh?!” and it seems he was surprised.

It’s like those surprise shows.

Yeah, it really did.

Did you hear the talk from Tsunku?

Yes. He said it like it was really normal, “You are joining Morning Musume.” At first, before thinking “Happy” or “No” I was just shocked. It was just inconceivable talk, so I didn’t know what was a good reply, and said something like, “Uh, I’ll do my best” (laughs).

What about talks that it was for you to study and/or to fire Morning Musume up more?

None of that happened, but up to now there was no case like this happening and I was told something like, “If you could disrupt Morning Musume in a good way…”

Thanks to experiencing so many things, no matter what you do you have fun without getting nervous, perhaps?

That might be so. If that’s the case, during the time that I didn’t notice, I might have experience much more things than normal (laughs).

Actually, I think you did a lot.

If that’s the case, I think I gained a lot.

After now, is there a possibility that you would go solo again?

I wonder. When I joined Morning Musume, they said I would continue with my solo at the same time. It’s already been 2 years since it was sealed. It seems the timing hasn’t fit well. I’m busy with Morning Musume and I’m doing Country Musume events… I think doing solo at the same time would definitely be hard.  

But, if given the chance, do you want to?

If that’s possible. But, doing a solo now is impossible. If I’m too busy, I’ll definitely die (laughs).

If you do a solo from now, will you be showing something different from before?

Let’s see. Since doing Morning Musume for these past 2 years, I definitely have been dancing more than my solo period. With something like that, I wonder if I can show something better than when I was doing it by myself.  

So, you’ll have like a graduation for a second time?

Yeah, since I joined, I will leave again (laughs). Right now, I can’t imagine that yet.

If you are graduating, what kind of time do you think that will be? Will there be a possibility that it would be from you, saying you want to graduate?

No, I don’t think I’ll be saying it. When I look at myself, I think it’s different from when other people see me. Anyways, I’m doing my best here. And if the other people think, “This girl would be better off graduated,” I think it will be at that time I will graduate. Therefore, without being impatient, I will just do my best.

With the graduates leaving, haven’t the weight of responsibility in Morning Musume increased?

I think so. But, everybody should know what each person needs to do. I don’t think things like suddenly going out of control will happen, but that might be naïve (laughs).

Iida’s graduation is coming soon, but what kind of person is Iida in your point of view?

When I joined, the “older sister team” was Iida, Abe, and Yaguchi. At first, usually, they would call me, “Fujimoto.” But, I’m sure the very first person to call me “Miki-chan” is Iida. From then, Yaguchi and Abe called me “Miki-chan” and “Mikitty.” If Morning Musume was like a family, among them, Iida would be the “big sister.” But, even though she is the big sister, parts of her are childish (laughs). Yup, not “mother,” but like an “older sister.

Your ages are close, but did they have a strict side as older members?

Whether they were strict or not, at first, I was also defiant (laughs).

Defiant?

For things that you usually don’t be defiant about, I was defiant. The kids who joined Morning Musume from the beginning, had all the things that the older members taught them, they would quietly take it all in saying, “I see.” But, in my case, I had some experience from before. There are times where I think, “It might be like that in Morning Musume, but there are cases if you go outside it’s not like that.” And if I thought it was in question, I would clearly say, “But, wouldn’t it be like this?” Therefore, I wonder if Iida thought, “Who is this girl?!”

Well, about being defiant…

Um, particularly, I didn’t listen to what others where saying, but I didn’t just disobey all the time. It’s just, all the new members up to now, all the questions you wouldn’t think of and would think of, they just take in what you usually say. And when they don’t understand, they don’t comprehend it. So, it didn’t always end up as a fight.

Has the atmosphere of Morning Musume changed a little since you have joined?

I just do what I usually do, so I don’t know.

But, Tsunku said, “It would be good to shake up Morning Musume.” Did that happen a little?

Uh, maybe (laughs).

Has stress piled up doing Morning Musume?

No, none at all. Everyday, I’m able to do different things. I’m able to meet different people everyday. On the other hand, in my case, I think doing the same thing everyday is more difficult. Therefore, I think becoming an OL or a mom is amazing. That’s because everyday you wake up at the same time, if you have a husband, you have to cook breakfast for him. I think that’s totally impossible for me!

But, someday you will get married, right?

Maybe. But even if I get married, I want to continue working. If the person that I married says it’s ok.  

Even when you turn 30 and 40, do you think you will still be working?

I think so. It might be at my pace though.

From hereafter, do you have new work you want to try?

Up until now, I haven’t really done any drama. Therefore, if I become a little more mature, I want to try dramas.

You still aren’t an adult?

Umm, I want to try when I’m around my mid 20’s.  

Finally, two questions from the community. In your point of view, what kind of person is Tsunku?

Umm, an important person. Saying it like that, it might be weird, but to put it in words, it is closest to “an important person.”

There are a lot of members that say he’s father like.

Yeah, that’s probably true, but for me, I don’t think of “father.” It’s close, but a little different.

Like an older brother?

Also different. Is there a feeling between an older brother and a father? A person you can depend upon.

Different from a boyfriend?

It’s totally different from that (laughs). For example… even if you fail, he’s a person who definitely won’t laugh and definitely won’t make a fool of you. I think that type of person is really great and I respect him and feel at ease. Even if you really embarrassingly mess up, with that kind of person around you won’t be depressed and you are able to continue forward.  

And do you mail him?

I occasionally mail. He sends out a mail writing the good points after a concert rehearsal or after the real performance.

What kind of points for example?

Umm, I wonder what? Recently about my dancing I think.

Well, then, to the next question. What kind of person is Morning Musume’s Fujimoto Miki?

If it’s only one word then it’s stubborn. Even if I didn’t join Morning Musume, I don’t think that will change. It won’t change… I don’t want it to change.

You don’t have anything like “If I joined Morning Musume, I will become like this?”

No. Even solo or in a group, there’s no relation. I constantly want to be myself. If I have to fit, I will fit, but I don’t want it to continue.  

And so you can see the “cool” side?

It does. It might appear that way, but when I become pumped up, I’m pumped up. Also, the way I say things is cold, so I’m often said to be “scary” (laughs).

It’s cold?

It seems cold. I don’t plan it to be that way, I just say what I want to say normally.

It’s not that you are scary, but that you are just frank, perhaps.

Speaking of awkwardness, it might be awkward. I’m not letting myself be spoiled by anyone. I don’t want others to see me trying my best…

Even though you really are trying your best.

Yes. I don’t want others to think, “Ah, she’s trying her best.”

Do you hate something like, “Look! Look! I’m doing my best, right?”

No! Then I want to say, “Eh, so what?”

That’s why they say you are “scary.”

But, I can’t help it. I feel more and more like this. For example, even if I get into a fight, I definitely don’t want the irresolute feeling to continue. If it’s like in the shadows crawling, it would be better to face each other and settle it.

You rather finish in one round hit than to talk endlessly?

Well, I definitely don’t do that (laughs). But, with that kind of feeling. If it’s a long argument, it’s a massive fight. And, afterwards, if it finishes clearly, it would be good. Something like that. It’s a far example, but, really, no matter what, it might be like that feeling. Anyways, I hate troublesome things.  

(2005.01.26)

Morning Musume My Best Song: “Ai araba It’s All Right”
 It’s a warm song.

I really like the lyrics. Singing the melody is also fun. It’s a warm song. The style is simple, so I’m happy that the fans during the live dances with us. I like all the songs that I sing by myself, but it’s a Morning Musume song and a group song, so it’s a cool song… It’s good that I can’t sing this song by myself, such as this song, “Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari,” “The Manpower!!!,” and so on.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 03:11:48 PM by Fenrir »

Offline num2son

• Member+
  • Nice to be Important but more Important to be Nice
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »
Quote from: Fenrir;317661
Translated by Fenrir
 Well, then, to the next question. What kind of person is Morning Musume’s Fujimoto Miki?

If it’s only one word then it’s stubborn. Even if I didn’t join Morning Musume, I don’t think that will change. It won’t change… I don’t want it to change.

And so you can see the “cool” side?

It does. It might appear that way, but when I become pumped up, I’m pumped up. Also, the way I say things is cold, so I’m often said to be “scary” (laughs).

It’s cold?

It seems cold. I don’t plan it to be that way, I just say what I want to say normally.

Do you hate something like, “Look! Look! I’m doing my best, right?”

No! Then I want to say, “Eh, so what?”

That’s why they say you are “scary.”

But, I can’t help it. I feel more and more like this. For example, even if I get into a fight, I definitely don’t want the irresolute feeling to continue. If it’s like in the shadows crawling, it would be better to face each other and settle it.

Miki keeping it real...:ONcool1:

THanks alot. Great interview.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:07:45 PM by num2son »

Designed by Miichan

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:27:01 PM »
She's so darn frank. Miki-sama. :heart: :lol:

Keep up the awesome work, Fen!

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 05:51:17 PM »
There are times where I think, “It might be like that in Morning Musume, but there are cases if you go outside it’s not like that.” And if I thought it was in question, I would clearly say, “But, wouldn’t it be like this?” Therefore, I wonder if Iida thought, “Who is this girl?!”

that reminds me a lot of myself, questioning authority.  the entire interview with miki makes me really appreciate and like her a lot more.  so thanks!
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline mr.niigaki

• is a female.
  • Member+
  • remember the noisy girls
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 05:58:32 PM »
Thanks so much for translating this! It's really nice to get to read more about the girls, and as with Gray this also helps me appreciate and like Miki more.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Ishikawa Rika

The positive and cute history still continues on.

This year, in May, Ishikawa Rika will graduate from Morning Musume.
  She has been personally “counting down” starting from the second that Iida Kaori’s graduation live ended without problems. Even though she is busy thinking about lots of things, like Viyuden’s activities and visions after the graduation, right now, as a Morning Musume member, with all her might, she is making the last few days meaningful and having fun. “Charmy Ishikawa’s” positive and cute history will still continue!

Birthday: 1985.1.9
  Blood Type: A
  Birthplace: Kanagawa Prefecture
  Debut Song: Happy Summer Wedding (2000.5.17)
  Stage Debut: Nihon Budokan (2000.5.21)

Yuko Nohji (N): At last, your graduation is in three months!

Rika Ishikawa (R): I’m looking forward to it a lot. I wonder if the spring tour is going to start sooner. Rehearsal hasn’t started yet, but as a Morning Musume member: standing on stage, T.V., performances, and covering events… each are important and I want to have fun. Also the next single, for me, is the last single. I wonder what kind of single it is and I’m very excited.

N: About your graduation live, it’s at Budokan, where you had your first live experience.

R: Yes, it is. Aside from that live, Morning Musume hasn’t performed at Budokan. Therefore, the only members that know Budokan’s stage are Yagucchan, Yossi, and I. The first time I heard it I was surprised and felt, at first, more “No way?!” than happy.  

N: Do you have lots of memories, including the first live?

R: Yes. The day of the first live, during rehearsal, I went to see what it’s like walking through the guest seating. Budokan can fit about 11,000 people, right? And, 4th generation applicants were around 20,000 people, so when I think that I was one of two chosen out of those 20,000, I would go “Bwaaa” and goose bumps would appear. The probability of this and succeeding is amazing, isn’t it? Whatever I’m thinking, when standing on stage, I remember this.

N: Recently, when we interviewed Tsunku-san, he mentioned, when Iida’s graduation ends, next is Ishikawa’s graduation and we will continue forward and start changing, but…

R: Certainly, that is how it is. Up until Kaotan graduated, I couldn’t think about my own graduation. Somehow I put it in the back of my mind, but I thought I couldn’t help but think about it.

N: The announcement of both of your graduations was at the same time, wasn’t it?

R: Last spring. My graduation was announced one year earlier and up until now, it has been the earliest announcement. So, at the beginning I thought, if I continued thinking about just the graduation for one year, what will happen? But even thinking about it, there were more graduating members before mine, so I couldn’t think about it until halfway. In the end, if my true feelings came out, it came after Kaotan’s graduation live finished.

N: So until then you couldn’t have your true feelings come out?

R: Yes. The moment after the live at Yokohama Arena ended, I thought, “Ah, next is me.”

N: Was there a switch?

R: Yes, I switched. From now on, I’m thinking of lots of various things, such as what I want to do and how I will pass the time as Morning Musume. Well, that’s talk for the last few days. (laughs)

N: Do you have any thoughts about your changing self?

R: Certainly, it’s as Tsunku-san said, I have changed. Surely, it’s not “Positive Ishikawa” (laughs), but I’ve come to think about various things very positively. But when I saw Kaotan’s very cool graduation…I wondered if mine will be ok and I’m very worried.

N: You look forward to it.

R: Up until now, while I have been watching the cool senior members, I have caught up. I have a mysterious embarrassment as I become a “senior,” by welcoming my graduation. But this is just a test given to me. I think this means I can’t be soft anymore. Right now, I think I have to think about how to welcome my graduation ceremony well and I can’t lose to the other senior members who welcomed their cool graduation.

N: How were you told about your graduation at first?

R: A while before the announcement, I was suddenly called to come by myself to the office. I thought “Eh? I wonder what this is about?”

N: Did you think “It has finally come!!”?

R: Somewhat. Somehow I had a premonition. I thought probably today is a very important talk. Therefore, I was surprised, but inside I was calm.

N: At that time, were your feelings on graduating already prepared?

R: Before all that, Tsuji-chan and Kago-chan’s graduation was decided, but if that didn’t happen, probably, I would have been worried thinking “Eh? I wonder if I be able to graduate at this rate?” But when I heard that those two were graduating before me, I thought I would be fine too (laughs). Therefore, while it was all surprisingly fast, I was able to face forward and take it all in.

N: Previously, you mentioned that when you had confidence of “I’ll be okay by myself,” you want to graduate, but you do still have that self-confidence?

R: When the graduation was announced, frankly, I didn’t have the self-confidence. It’s just, that, recently, I have come to understand myself…I started not to push myself a lot towards a lot of things.

N: Without pushing yourself with things you can’t do, did you come to think that it would be better to do things you can do by yourself?

R: Yes. Before, whenever doing anything, I always tried to do my best to go beyond my limits. If I didn’t do that, I thought it wouldn’t be like me and I have come running in a selflessness daze. But, when I turned 20, I’ve changed. I’m a person that switches quickly. Maybe like being too simple-minded? (laughs) When I turned 20, I feel that my interior self grew a little more than from before. Things that I have never said before, comes out naturally from me now. And I thinking “I have become an adult” and the strength that came to me, little by little, seems to come out. Even if I don’t have self-confidence, I think it is ok, if I don’t force myself.

N: When you joined Morning Musume, you had “no matter what I’ll do my best to my limit” style, but we felt something like a balanced Ishikawa personality.

R: I don’t think the reason was that it was painful to do. But, seeing who I am now, I think I often try my best. Well, trying your best in that way is the result of using your instincts; therefore, being yourself is being yourself. Even now, that disposition hasn’t changed, but there is a big change in the point of valuing “me” time.

N: “Me” time?

R: For example, when there is a chance to relax, I really do relax. Up until now, my habit has been waking up in the morning, going to work, coming back from work tired and immediately going to sleep. I have come to think time for your self is very important. Things that are fun are like going to sleep (laughs). When I come home, my shoulders get tense.

N: Anytime when you get nervous?

R: Well, unconsciously. When I think, “Ah, now I’m getting uneasy”, my shoulders gets tense. I get surprised myself when I am at home and I am not relaxed.

N: It might be because you are still Morning Musume Ishikawa Rika, even when you get home.

R: Yes, I think so. But, you know, recently, when I come home, I’ve become sluggish (laughs). But I’ve come to understand that that is also important.

N: If that is the reason, then recently, we feel that atmosphere that’s being emitted also have changed.

R: Is that really so?

N: It is like being natural and a girl softly coming out. Previously, the impression was that even if it was a girl character, a childish aura comes out (laughs).

R: Ah, well, I also think that was forced. While looking back with what I am now.  

N: About if you were being girly or not being girly?

R: I didn’t want to be called “a child-like woman.” I didn’t want to be a “child-like woman” myself. Even though I did what I usually did, I really didn’t want to be told that that was on purpose.

N: Was it because of your voice?

R: I think that was a big reason. I really, really didn’t want it to be that way. I thought if I had something like a child-like personality and rough, I didn’t want to be thought as that way. If I didn’t be as much as a girl as possible, I would be extremely worried.

N: Thus, the opposite kind of “child-like women.”

R: Yes. But, after all, it will become tiring. Because of that, even though in the surroundings it looked like “a candid girl,” when I go back home I’m completely exhausted and say, “Ah, I’m tired!” I think why I even do such things. Recently, though, no matter how I look at it, I’ve come to think nothing of it.

N: About being like a girl, is the gentle atmosphere the result of being yourself?

R: I think so. I don’t have any thoughts of forcing myself. But as I thought, when I worry over one thing, I only worry on that one thing and the atmosphere of being tense naturally comes out. When that happens, mysteriously, all the lower generation members don’t come gathering around (laughs). Thus, I enter my own world and I become prickly.

N: A bad habit.

R: Yes. That often happens. But, recently, while saying I think I’ve become better, I might not have. I don’t dwell on it often. Somehow, from the start, I think the brooding personality of me is like Papa. I can become very nervous and worry about people and such. I have intervened in a bad way a little because of that.

N: Personally, you are a big-hearted person before anything, right?

R: Even now, to the lower generation members, I give a little warnings and such to them one by one and I wonder if it is “too much” (laughs).

N: But there are times where you have to say it. Is that a hard role to play?

R: I think if it is something I have to tell them, then no matter how much, I want to tell them. Until the graduation, though the time is short, I have realized in my normal life that I want to talk about various things with them as much as possible.

N: With such relationships with the younger members, do you often hang out with them and such?

R: I want to have better relationships with them (laughs). But with the 6th generation, there is a good difference in ages. Being in the same generation and having similar feelings doesn’t really connect.

N: In the end, the wall between a 15 year old and a 20 year old is thick?

R: A little. At first, I was rivals with Sayu, but…

N: Really?

R: It is because I also had my own cute character. But, now, I see a more “Cute~!” feeling instead of rival. Even though we did Econmoni together, I still thought she is cute, pure, and young.

N: Speaking of young, when you joined Morning Musume, you were about her age.
  R: Yes, that’s true.

N: Comparing the time from when you joined Morning Musume and entering Morning Musume now, the environment has considerably changed hasn’t it? The way of thinking has changed and the atmosphere has changed as well, hasn’t it?

R: When I entered Morning Musume, everybody had rival feelings flaring up. That’s why I said, it’s not the relationship was bad, but it was these rival feelings burning that we were greatly feeling. Even when we were all eating dinner, those felt those feelings would still flow.

N: So that’s a normal day in Morning Musume?

R: The most different thing of Morning Musume now is it hasn’t fully sensed the “friend” feeling. The senior members have a complete sense of being very professional. We also had that feeling of being nervous from the very beginning. If I think about that, the atmosphere right now has completely changed. Therefore, in a better meaning, if everybody has a little more rivalry feeling, I think Morning Musume will power up even more. Of course, putting on a fun concert is the most important, I think. But that’s not the only thing. Not only having a more feeling of friends, but also if the feeling of rivalry comes out… I think it will change somehow.

N: It’s just with the increasing change of generations right now; it’s a bit difficult, right?

R: But, even if it is just one person’s feelings like that, I think it can absolutely change. If the one person can strongly express her personality, and I see her, I would feel I have the try my best too. Surely, from now, I think it will change even more.

N: Is that your expectation?

R: Yes. As the mean of ages slowly decreases, naturally, the atmosphere will change. Right now if the situation is bad, I haven’t thought so at all. But, more and more, for Morning Musume, in order to have better significant relationships, it is definitely better to have a more rivalry conscious. If there is a little fire, Onee-san [big sister] will be happy! <3 Something like that (laughs).

N: After your graduation, you will become the main lead in Viyuden’s activities?

R: Yes, I think so. After hearing the talk about graduating, talk of forming a new unit before and after the graduation happened.

N: Was there any un-satisfaction of the plans of a unit instead of going solo after graduation?

R: It was said from the staff that I would be better in a group. Indeed, I think that might be true... If I was negatively thinking then it would be “I can’t be by myself, can I?” Actually, in that instant, I actually did think like that, but if I tried to think positively, that will really happen. When there is a rival nearby, I’m the type who will try harder. I will have the feeling of “I’ll try harder than anyone” when I’m standing on stage together with three people than standing by myself, you know. When I start having feelings welling up inside of me, I’m able to move forward.

N: It looks like your aim is for a personal victory in a team.

R: Yes, yes.

N: But, what about your feelings on trying to do a long awaited solo?

R: I do have that, but right now I’m trying my best in the unit’s activities and the more I can gain, the more it will be beneficial. And, lastly, in trying it by myself… I want to find in myself that I want to try for a solo. Probably, when I really decide that I want to try it by myself, at that time, I think I will want to do solo activities. But right now, I’m still not ready, and I can’t decide on wanting to do it. My feelings of wanting to do various challenging things are strong though.

N: Is it because you have to do various things as Viyuden’s leader?

R: With the exception of me being a member already, Viyuden debuted. Therefore, the situation had me being the only senior member. I have to give my best!

N: So, you’re going to try your best up to your limits?

R: Around the debut song “Koi no Nukegara,” I really had that feeling. A lot, a lot, of that feeling. That’s why I received a lot of advice from Kaotan.

N: About being a leader?

R: Yes. There’s nobody else with such strong advice from the heart. I go to her for advice even when she can’t come, saying heartily, “Kaota~n, being a leader is really hard isn’t?” (laughs) Occasionally, she has to say something strict. Even being far away, it is still scary. From those talks, I learn a lot of various things from Kaotan. Without limiting the leader, won’t the influence of seniors be big? One by one, things with big influence can be easily absorbed. It’s like that with me too, but even if the seniors are a bit nervous, that atmosphere will be contagious. If you are over happily, the tension can rise too.

N: That’s why, at times, it’s also important to relax and such?

R: Yes, that’s right. If I think of my real self, when I’m very relaxed unexpectedly, I’m a very carefree person. Ever since I was born into this world, it has been said that I’m “impatient” and “my pace is fast” and such, but people who knows my usual self say I “go at my own pace” and “do things calmly” and such.

N: Which is the real one?

R: I don’t even know (laughs)! In this world as time goes by and everyday doing work, I don’t even know which is the real me. But, recently, at last, I am able to maintain my pace.

N: About your pace, it might be a good influence to the younger members

R: I think so. Besides, I think my pace is spontaneous and it also has some “true” parts that come out. I think that is the best way for me to come out.

N: Well then, even from now, we should see more various “true” things, eh?

R: I’m feeling very excited and looking forward to things to come. Even in Viyuden, I have confidence that if I can look forward and push on, I’ll bring the other two with me. At the same time, if I’m a little unprepared, things will steadily fall apart and such. I feel like I’m at full speed power, but like before, without forcing myself I will try my best.

N: With your graduation three months away, have you thought of how you want your position to be in Morning Musume?

R: With my graduation being mentioned, I haven’t really thought about differing to an extent But, there’s the new leader, Yagucchan, and new sub-leader, Yossi. I will support those two in a position from the side… If there is anything that I can possibly do, I would like to take the initiative, but, for example, in a situation where all members of Morning Musume are in a conference, I want to listen to everybody’s say first. I think Kemechan was like that, but she seriously put everybody in order! For example, I want to become a person who is able to help others and help support mentally.

N: Like the roll of the “eye”?

R: Yes. To quietly watch over them. When I think that if one of them has something they are worrying about, I would talk to them and listen to their worries. I want to become that type of person. A type that plays it by ear? I’m in the middle of 3 sisters, so I understand the feelings of the older sister. I also understand the feelings of the younger sister too more than other people.

N: Ah, I see. You’ve mentioned that strong point. I think you maybe the type in the middle of 3 sisters.

R: Right? Right now, that “middle-child” personality helps a lot. I understand a little of both the feelings of the top and bottom, so in Morning Musume, I’m able to be in a position that fits me. Moreover, being in the middle, I’m also self-sufficient. When living a normal life, don’t you usually want the parents to leave you alone (laughs)? Therefore, I have strong feelings of wanting to be independent. If I didn’t join Morning Musume, I would want to hurry up and get a part-time job and become independent.

N: In the family, you play with your younger sister and to be spoiled by your older sister. Then, when you go outside, you are ok by yourself, doing your best to be independent?

R: Well, right now, I’m being spoiled by my younger sister. In other words, whether I’m the top or bottom, I’m still being spoiled by everybody (laughs).

N: Naturally.

R: Whether from top or bottom, I’m told not to do too much. I usually play with the younger members and I go eat lunch with the older members. When thinking positively, it is a good place to be.

N: Are you the same age as Miyoshi?

R: We are the same age, but Miyoshi’s birthday is a little before mine.

N: Well then, in Viyuden you are in the middle.

R: Ah, that’s right! Even though I’m the leader and the older member, I just noticed that it is about time that Miyoshi starts to be the serious one. Hmm, am I the fool then?

N: No comment (laughs).

R: But I have no intention to be the fool.

N: Speaking of which, you said you liked being last.

R: Not being last, but I like the vague feeling of being second from the bottom. Talking about being in the middle of three people, thinking about it, I’m the second from the bottom. Well, it is also the second from the top too.

N: Even though you are getting older, the “spirit” of being in the middle won’t change, huh.

R: Probably, it will never change. I don’t think it has changed.

N: For example, have you thought of what kind of person will you be at 30?

R: 30… I have imagined it. Before, Tsunku often said it is good to think of goals of what you want to become 10 years later. When I joined Morning Musume at 15 I imagined myself at 20.

N: What kind of 20 year old was it?

R: More mature. I imagined a more mature and pretty older sister. People don’t change their outer and inner appearance easily. In the end, it might be impossible to change the basis of your personality from before. My ideal is a little too high (laughs).

N: Even when you turn 30, will you still continue to work?

R: I want to continue. Right now, when I see Nakazawa for example, I think she is cool.

N: Well then, even when you 30, please put out a photo book.

R: Umm, I wonder if I can put one out (laughs). But, I want to.

N: At that time do you still see Morning Musume continuing?

R: I want it to continue. It will continue to change more and more. Until the very end, I wonder if the graduated members will return to Morning Musume. And, I wonder what will the average age be then (laughs). But, still, even though I will graduate, if they still continue to do their best in Morning Musume, I think I will be encouraged.

N: Being in Morning Musume up until now, what is the most important thing you’ve gained?

R: The strength to believe in yourself. Probably. I think if you can’t believe in yourself, you aren’t able to do your job and such. Even if a lot of fans say, “We love you!” and you cannot like yourself, then that’s rude to the fans. If I was in a fan’s position, I don’t think I would be able to like that person. Even with that said, it’s still hard to like yourself.

N: Have you ever not been able to like yourself?

R: I have come to like myself, but it took some time. Right now, there are a lot of fans that say, “Rika-chan, we love you! <3,” but I came to like myself because I didn’t want to lose to them. I think that is thanks to Morning Musume.

N: When you joined, you were worried about being negative and everything.

R: Yeah, but, even now, if I make one mistake, my negative side may come out, if I don’t pay attention. Really, it came close to 5 years to have confidence to say, “I like myself.”

N: Lastly, two questions from the community. From your point of view, how do you view Tsunku?

R: A father-like person. But, probably, a lot of other Hello Project members will say the same thing. But, really, if I say one thing, it would be “Father.” Tsunku, first and foremost, is an artist, so I learned how to think of singing songs as being fun from him. Even now, I’ve learned and been able to study lots of things. He also helped me in lots of ways, mentally. He’s a very cool Papa and really is a person who you can respect.

N: Do you exchange lots of email?

R: Recently, I haven’t, but not exchanging any is surely proof that I’m being energetic (laughs). Long ago, when I was really negative, Tsunku-san would get worried and email me, “Are you ok?” I am the type who wouldn’t go for advice when I’m worried about myself. So then, when it all builds up inside of me, Tsunku-san, who seems to see through it, emails me. When that happens, my reply is very long. Then, the max length the email is small, so we don’t send only once, but send about 2-3 times. At the very end, I always write, “Sorry for making this very long.” (laughs)

N: Well, then, one more question. What kind of person is Morning Musume Ishikawa Rika?

R: The middle child of 3 sisters.

N: Understanding!

R: Even in Morning Musume, until the end, I wonder if I will still be the “middle child.”

N: Probably.

R: Is it like being the middle management? Something like that.

N: Um, is it like being able to push responsibility onto the lower members, and getting the older members mad (laughs)?  

R: No, no, no. It’s nothing like that at all. But, up until the end, it’s being able to be in the “second daughter” place that makes me very happy. For me, it’s the most comfortable place to be.

(2005.02.04)

Morning Musume. My best song: “The Peace”
  After my graduation, I wonder who’s going to do my monologue.

For me, the song with my best memories will never change. Even now, it is sung at concerts. But, you know, I have never messed up my monologue even once. Even when we have sung it for many hundred times, I’m still amazed at myself. After I graduate, I wonder who will say my monologue. I look forward to it! <3 But, if I’m told I can just say that one part, I might come to concerts no matter how many times in order to say the monologue (laughs).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:14:18 PM by Fenrir »

Offline hurtwou

• Amiyakism
  • Member+
  • 「いつもそばにいるよ」
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
Thanks so much for the translation Fenrir :ONkneelbow:
Awesome interview :heart:
[.-.]

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »
thanks again.  This didn't have as much effect on me as the miki one did though. xD
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline miki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
wooow.. thx so much fenrir.
its new for me ^^ xDDD

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 04:44:00 AM »
thank you for translating these... esp. the Mikitty one. XD you deserve a reward or something hehe

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
YAYY!!! Awesome Fen :heart:

These interviews were so DEEP. I learned a lot about their character in em. so good. Rika + Miki Time to read! And I see you've improved so much in your translating, so proud.  :sniff:

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 03:39:08 PM »
^^^^ And how do you know if I improved, hmm?? You dont read Japanese! :P :P

Glad you like them. XD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:49:44 PM by Fenrir »

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Yoshizawa Hitomi

She shines with a positive passion.

With a cheerful greeting of “Hello!” Yoshizawa Hitomi comes smiling naturally. At that moment, the room was embraced with light and shined. In Morning Musume, she is shining brightly with energy and in futsal, she displays bold leadership…Recently she shines with a positive passion that comes out at every conversation. Anticipating activities as the new sub-leader, Yossi is forever the handsome girl!

Birthday: 1985.04.12
 Blood Type: O
 Birthplace: Saitama Prefecture
 Debut Song: Happy Summer Wedding (2000.05.17)
 Stage Debut: Nihon Budokan (2000.05.21)

Yuko Nohji: With Iida graduating, you will take the position of sub-leader. Number 3 from the top!

Yoshizawa Hitomi: And, next, when Rika graduates, I’ll be number 2 from the top! If I think about that, I’m really shocked (laughs).

Somehow, still, you seem to have the image of being the middle 4th generation member.

I think of it like that myself. Among the 4th generation members, I’m always the frivolous or staggering characters, so when it comes to position it’s like “Wah! Number 2! I’m the sub-leader!”

Worried?

My parents seem to be worried. They say, “You became number 2? Are you going to be okay?” (laughs). But I don’t want them to say, “It’s impossible for you,” so I want to do this.

Does it trigger a change in you with other people graduating?

In my case, with any body's graduation, there are little “big” changes in positions. With that meaning, I don’t think I will change. It’s just, if that time comes, even with lonely thoughts, my feelings will switch to, “I have to go on.”

Do you think you will become strong on that journey?

Let’s see. I don’t often move. Even if the members change, in the end, my place wouldn’t change and the things I do won’t change. Morning Musume has members come and go and it’s not a fragile thing… more like strong, when I come to think about it.

In context of age, do you feel that your position has changed in the group?

Umm, I wonder. I don’t feel that I have changed, but if you look around the outside, I think that I probably have changed a lot.

How so?

Before, even in backstage, I was a person who didn’t often go mingle with everybody else. Recently, I feel that I’ve been hanging out with everybody naturally. In that case, I have changed a little. But, even now, there are times where I’m alone. I haven’t really changed. Still, when I do events, I wonder if the people around me have seen I’ve changed.

Do you realize it yourself that you “want to change?”

No, it just flows naturally. I don’t really think to myself, “I should do it this way.” But, the one thing I always wanted to try once is to see from an outside point of view.

Personally yourself?

There is also that. Even to anything. If I think in Morning Musume and then think while looking from the outside objectively, wouldn’t it be different? For example, I think I’m definitely doing things well and have lots of self-confidence doing things. In addition, because of that, if you think of how you see Yoshizawa Hitomi … in other words, you always think like that. If it’s like that way, then right now, even with the feelings I have, I can see it clearly. If it becomes like that, I also start to understand things like, “If I do it like this way, the atmosphere will become better.”

Right now, if Yoshizawa Hitomi is like this, then it is cool. Do you have a sense of producing yourself by yourself?

I do have that. How does the world see Morning Musume’s Yoshizawa Hitomi? Therefore, when I’m in the house, I think watching TV through the eyes of an ordinary viewer occasionally is important. Which I do. If I don’t, no matter what, I’ll just be in a direction I like. My world would become bigger (laughs).

The recent Yoshizawa is an “aggressive Yoshizawa.” You are just positive towards anything.

Hahaha. Let’s see. Basically, if there is a chance, I have a personality that is easy to fit in. Basically it’s the state of being completely open (laughs) and if I put on a wig for the short story, I become that character instantly. If I wear cool clothes, I become that kind of character. Fundamentally, I always live “naked.”

Ohhh, a naked character (laughs).

Not like that. It’s like I receive colors and the fun part is being able to change frequently.

When something new comes, you are able to immediately switch to that and always be on stand by. It’s hard being like yourself, huh?

But, I’m very fickle. Personality-wise. Therefore, I always want to have fun doing a lot of things every time than just doing one thing forever.

Earlier, you said, “I’m fickle.”

That’s because I’m really fickle. I don’t keep going. But I do keep going when I like it. Even in fashion, I’m rapidly changing. It’s just even I’m in the middle of changing, there are still something I like. Those things remain and I like changing rapidly.

It’s been 5 years since your debut as Morning Musume…

It’s amazing, isn’t. I haven’t continued doing something for 5 years.

What about volleyball?

About 3.5 years.

Well, you did do it longer than volleyball.then.

Wow, I did. Amazing.

Was there any moments where you were tired of Morning Musume?

There were moments where I was tired of “I’m Morning Musume Yoshizawa Hitomi.”

Really?

Many times (laughs). I thought that it’s “very tiresome” and I want to really change. I had moments like that. It’s like, if I do “me” every single day, I even become tired of it

Ultimately, a fickle nature (laughs).

That’s right. If it’s boring, immediately, I “want to become something else.” Therefore, maybe… there isn’t “myself” often.

To continue being a completely white canvas is a talent you know.

I felt that I didn’t have my own style to begin with. Even in my normal life, for example, there were times where I want to follow a strict pattern. For those times, I get up at 7, take a walk, makes sure I eat 3 meals a day, take a bath at night and go to bed before 12…that kind of life feels good. But, while continuing like that, it becomes boring, so next time, I want it to become an exciting life. I think doing that kind of thing lets my feelings out.

So, by changing you are able to become less stressful.

Yes. Changing the hairstyle changes the mood, so the color changes often too.

But, in Morning Musume, you don’t become tired of it.

That’s true. There are a lot of different members in Morning Musume, we sing different kinds of songs, and there are a lot of different dances. Everyday we do a different kind of work. Being in one group; in that group, I can rapidly change. That’s why I think I don’t become tired of it.

Members change within the group, as well as position changes, so all this fits you, huh?

Moreover, if the people that are watching always see the same hair style and clothes, and just doing the same things, I think it would get boring. Therefore, personally, I want to change constantly. To a degree that’s not often gone (laughs).

When was the most boring time for “Morning Musume Yoshizawa Hitomi?”

Um, I wonder when… Around last year? Around 2003. I got bored and wandered around.

Wandered around?

It was like, “What should I do next? What should I become?” That’s right, it was like I was very tired of doing it.

Why did you become bored?

I feel to be bored is closer to “being lost.” It was like I couldn’t let out all the sad feelings I had. I didn’t say, “Tomorrow is certainly this!” but I felt being embraced by a “mowaan” feeling. While doing things one by one properly, I was sure that I would move forward, but… inside, it was like I didn’t grab onto “something.” I felt I couldn’t see. It’s like a time of being a rebellious student? I’ve always continued being close to that kind of feeling.

And it was the first time of being rebellious?

Let’s see. I felt hazy towards all things. Even towards me and even towards my surrounding environment. I thought if there was something inside of me, it was contradicting everything else.

Surely, it was a rebellious mental stage.

Everything was a barrier. I felt like that’s enough, and shut out everything! Steadily, it became a condition of repelling everything. That’s why I didn’t often listen to what other people said. And, then during 2004, little by little, I felt refreshed.

You seem to be in a cycle of “charge” and “discharge.”

That may be so. When I feel like going to bed, I suddenly become awake and move around a lot.

When it became 2004, what happened that made you become “awake?”

I wonder what it is… One thing is I started “talking.” Even until now, I usually had normal conversations with the members and manager, but it is just, if it turns to things about your inner thoughts I don’t often talk to people. There wasn’t a person I could talk to about those things.

That was from when you joined Morning Musume?

No, no. It’s been like that since I was little. I wasn’t a kid who talked about my worries at the moment, even to my parents. It was just very candid conversations, like, “Food! What? There’s none? Then, I’ll sleep!”

Isn’t that dad-like (laughs)?

But, it was really just like that. Even when my worries piled up inside of me, I didn’t know how to go ask anybody for advice. But, that was normal for me. And, then, last year, around the time of the musical, “Edo Musume Chushingura,” I became really good friends with Country Musume, Satoda Mai, and Coconuts Musume, Ayaka. That year, during, summer, we talked about a lot of various things. Around that time, to exaggerate a little bit, I really thought that life was good. Until then, I plainly felt that I could go on by myself.

Through your friends you’ve changed.

To be able to talk about what you are feeling inside without reservation is really big. From that, gradually, you open even to the people around you. Up until now, I definitely don’t want to say and let other people see my weak points. But on the other hand, I know it’s ok when those points come out.

That’s good. That’s a good chance.

Until then, I didn’t know how to clear the stuff that built up inside of me. It’s like while sighing, you realize that the bag of candy is empty (laughs). But that kind of thing happens a lot. While sighing a different sigh, even though I don’t eat the candy, I know I can clear myself when I talk to my friends saying, “It’s like this or it’s like that.” If I do that, even my way of thinking becomes positive naturally.

I wonder if it’s like indigestion.

Umm. It’s mostly like indigestion. But, really, if it stays as indigestions, the poison will build up.

Then, it’s like fecal coming out; sorry for the very rude example.

No, no. Haha; it’s really like that feeling (laughs).

If the poison builds up, then it influences your work, right?

Yes, it has. But, right now I’m able to maintain that balance having fun playing and “Alright! It’s time to do my best at work!” I’ve become able to take things in that make me shut out little by little. If the barrier was wide, I can’t meet other people. And I’m finally in Hello! Project, so my friends are really important.

Also, in this year, futsal activities have become very big?

Yes, it’s quite big. Almost one year has passed. In the end, sports have let me grow.

How?

Basically, it’s something I get excited about, if I do sports. I have also always played volleyball and since I was little I have like all sports. If it becomes that kind of setting, I can’t be silent. The part of me that doesn’t want to become a burden comes out.

I wonder if the main cause is that “aggressive Yossi” is attached to that.

In other jobs, if somebody said something along the lines of, “I want do that,” I have had times where I say, “Well, then go for it,” and let them do it. But for futsal, I can’t let anyone do it. When somebody wanted to do it, I say something like, “No, wait a minute! I’ll do it!” I start wanting to go at it more and more.

It’s cool, your courageous figure when you are playing futsal.

That’s because it’s really a win-lose world. And there’s no script. We practice and to see the result of our hard work is really fun. In the end, I love anything related to sports.

This may be true in volleyball too, but when you joined Morning Musume, the physical part was quite harsh.

When I joined the club activities, I saw the talented older members and thought, “I have to catch up,” so I would desperately try my best and when I wear the uniform it was a good feeling…When I first joined Morning Musume it was similar to that. I might have forgotten the burning instinct that I felt then. But playing futsal revived those memories. I wonder if those feelings are coming out in Morning Musume as well.

Is it connected?

Yeah, it’s connected.

When the fuel that pumps you up goes down, do you still go “gah!” and get pumped up?

Let’s see. When I go try anything, I go pumped up with that ambition. When I play futsal, I surprise even myself. In matches, it’s painful to lose, and right after, I run to where the supervisor is and say, “With practice like that, we definitely aren’t going to win!” After that, I head back to the waiting room, calm down, and go back to say, “Eh, did I do something?” Others replied, “You said that to the supervisor.”

Your adrenaline comes out.

It does. I suddenly become an athletic person. At that time, I’m really interesting (laughs).

Even in Morning Musume, is athletic part tough to join for the younger members?

No, no. That doesn’t happen. It’s just, I work hard and grow; probably, I know that if I don’t push hard, I won’t grow. At that time, the older members who were working hard, already looked like demons to me. I got to that position and got close to the people who I saw as demons, I come to realize that “they were angels” (laughs). I’ve got it told to me, so that’s why it’s the “me” now. And now, to be honest, there is no person scolding like at that time, so I feel that there is not enough tension. The time I should say it, I can’t properly say it. So I think about it through sports (laughs).

Becoming sub-leader has lots of responsibilities, right?

From the start, I knew I had to be able to handle it. I have to do it properly. But, it might be tough.

The same generation members that you grew up with are graduating; don’t you feel sad?

Nope. It might be because I’ve become aggressive (laughs). The worried feelings also turn into something like “Let’s do it!” energy. On the other hand, if it doesn’t go well, I have thoughts of, “Ah, what am I going to do?” If I show this side to the older members, the younger members won’t come. Without changing from before, I will go firmly. I wonder if I’ve become those people who go with such force that it’s foolish (laughs).

Earlier, you said you regretted that you stopped playing volleyball midway, but what you did wasn’t useless, right?

Yup, it was an experience for life. I’m glad I did volleyball.

At any rate, you will be graduating Morning Musume at some time. Have you thought about it?

From the start, I have always thought about what I was going to do when I graduate. Thus, if all the 4th generation members graduated, I have thought about it closely. But, right now, I want to do what I’m supposed to do at the place I’m at right now. However, if my turn comes, I’ll think about it at that time and I want to continue forward.

Hey, you are the last 4th generation member.

When Rika-chan graduates. But, since I remain, I want to work intensely. I want to show a Morning Musume that did other things when the other 4th generation members weren’t here.

I think your form in “The Manpower!” song was a sign.

Ahahahaha, the other members imitate that a lot though.

What kind of timing do you want to graduate in?

I wonder. More than timing, I think of what kind of graduation ceremony it will be. Everybody has a graduation live. I don’t want to do that. Somehow, it’s embarrassing (laughs). Recently, not just Morning Musume, but there are also Hello! Project graduation lives. If I graduated among that many people, it would be troublesome. I really want to do with less people.

Only friends and relatives (laughs)?

Like a hand-shake event graduation.

There isn’t any like that.

But, something like that would be nice (laughs). I really don’t want something big. Something that magnificent is embarrassing.

That’s quite picky.

Yes. I think everybody else also has the same feeling. The basic Yoshizawa Hitomi is fickle, stubborn, and selfish (laughs). Even though I understand that, I want to graduate like that Yoshizawa Hitomi.

So, eventually, when will that be?

This year I turn 20. I feel that continuing like, “I’m Morning Musume,” until like 26, will not happen… Well, I wonder when it will be.

When you graduate, do you think you will change?

Consciously, I think I will definitely change. I have no choice. When in a group, I feel more relieved. Everybody is there, so we can help each other and it always happens. But, if going solo, there’s nobody to lean on. In another way, group and solo are totally different, but there are good things. Therefore, right now, I think there’s plenty of good points displayed in a group.

When you graduate from Morning Musume, is there anything you want to try to do?

There are lots of things, but basically, in the end, I want to do my best even more than what I’m doing now. I won’t be constricted to just this one thing.

Ultimately, a fickle personality.

Yup. In a good way, I want to be greedy. While doing various things with a good deal of greediness, if I can find something of “Ah, I couldn’t live without this,” it would be good. I may not be a person that is fickle at that time.

However, there doesn’t seem to be anything constricting you.

So it seems. If there’s no passion and no improvement, I can’t grow. Feeling achievement and satisfaction is still far, far away.

As Morning Musume member, you still don’t feel satisfied?

Yes. I still don’t feel satisfied.

And now, two questions from the community. For you, what kind of person is Tsunku?

A wonderful mentor.

What kind of mentor?

As an artist, I think he’s a very cool person. As Morning Musume member, there’s a big part that he is a “dad.” If it is as me as an individual, he is a big mentor as an artist. He did activities in the band, Sharon Q, and then a producer… I think he really is a genius. He constantly does challenging things, thinks about different things, but have a lot of obsessions. And yet, he makes sure he watches each person.

Recently, did you receive any kind of advice?

If it’s advice, I received an email after the New Year’s Hello Pro live. It was something like, “Recently, I think you are doing really well.” I was happy. Immediately, I reply, “I’ll do my best.”

Listening to the songs, are there times that make one understand Morning Musume?

I always think so. In “Roman –My Dear Boy” we become tomboyish. On the other hand, in “Namida ga Tomaranai Hokago” we become girlish. We change a lot, like those points.

It really is an inconstant personality…

Yeah, but I don’t tire of it (laughs).

Well, then, on to the next question. What kind of person is Morning Musume Yoshizawa Hitomi?

What kind of person… a father-like person.

Eh?

Father! Usually, isn’t a father in a tsukkomi [serious] position? To a daughter he would say, “You’re way of walking is bad,” and such. But, even with that, the daughter loves her dad. If something happens, the dad would be easy and praise and the daughter would be happy.

If it’s a crucial moment, there’s an instinct to protect.

Yup. In the end, a father’s words weighs heavily. Even if the mother says, “It’s time to stop playing your game” and is angry, the kids would reply, “A little more, 5 more minutes,” however, the dad would crash down like thunder and they stop, right? I also want to go to that position. More like I want to become like that

Recently, I think you become remarkably more like a lady…

What, is that so?! At the basic level, I’m like a boy. It’s just, from inside, the middle-age man is coming out more than the boy. There isn’t any elegance.

I don’t think so.

No, no. I’m basically unrefined (laughs). But, when in Morning Musume, that part of me is where I feel I belong.

A position that is most like me.

That’s because, if I had hair that was curly and said, “Is that so <3,” I feel like what happened (laughs)? If I think what personality I have that comes out in Morning Musume, in the end, I want the boyish character to go out. When I’m with the other members, usually I’m the father. A parent (laughs).

But I don’t want you to be like a parent.

But I want to feel like that.

As the pillar of the family!

That’s right. Probably, Yaguttsan, as the leader, has lots of pressure and me, as sub-leader, want to support her no matter how little.

Then, Yaguchi is the mother and Yoshizawa is the father.

Even if we balance each other out, it feels just like that (laughs).

(2005.01.14)

Morning Musume. My best song “I Wish”
 I like the song and lyrics; it will always be my favorite.

I chose this song before, but I don’t think my favorite song, “I Wish,” will change. As a 4th generation member, this is a big song. As an individual, I love the music and the lyrics. It’ll forever be my favorite song. However, right now, while liking “I Wish,” I also have a fair amount of feelings for “The Manpower!!!”(laughs). I have full power and strength. It’s exactly my feelings right now. I want to go on like that.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
Fennie :tfr9a7wg::tfr9a7wg::tfr9a7wg:

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 09:34:06 PM »
Quote from: Fenrir;320077
^^^^ And how do you know if I improved, hmm?? You dont read Japanese! :P :P

Glad you like them. XD

:lol:

Nice job fen!

Good read to help pass the time

Offline num2son

• Member+
  • Nice to be Important but more Important to be Nice
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 01:10:55 AM »
Thanks again.

Designed by Miichan

Offline haidokun

• Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 07:38:49 AM »
thanks! for sharing. ^^

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Takahashi Ai

For growth, everything is “fuel.”

Seeing, listening, and wanting to know anything and everything. She cannot help but have fun absorbing everything. Right now, Takahashi Ai is just full of curiosity!
 Although, the girl on stage has become more and more reliable recently, this curiosity is not supposed to be related. The music that she loves, movies, theater, and books… Everything is “fuel’ for growth. But the one thing that the girl wants to see and know the most is probably is how she will steadily change in the future.

Birthday: 1986.9.14
 Blood Type: A
 Birthplace: Fukui Prefecture
 Debut Song: “Mr. Moonlight –Ai no Big Band-“ (2001.10.31)
 Stage Debut: Himeji Central Park (2001.10.21)

Yuko Nohji: Iida’s graduation is approaching fast.

Takahashi Ai: Today was the recording of “Hello! Morning” and it will circulate after Iida’s graduation. Also, the graduation live is coming and while each person was saying a comment, we all cried. I resolved not to cry, but I still did.

Your feelings just came flowing out?

Yeah. Until the recording, my true feelings didn’t come out at all, but at the end, when I saw Iida crying…  

When 5th generation joined, Iida said something like, “I may have scared the new members.”

Even though we are the same members, an older member is an older member. Especially, Iida because she is the leader and the oldest. Therefore, in the beginning, there was a bit of distance…At that time, when I talked to Iida it would be when I don’t understand something and I asked her. But, recently, we talk about music and movies. We finally come to talk about lots of normal things. But then she graduates…

What kind of message did you get from Iida today?

The last thing she said was something like, “I understand leaving your home area and I understand being separated from your parents and feeling lonely, so I didn’t want to get mad. But it was a situation I had to get mad at you.” When I heard that, I couldn’t endure it anymore. The tears came flowing.

Iida said it with her parental feelings.

Yes. It was like that. In the beginning, I didn’t know anything, so I thought, “scary.” I also thought why I had to get scolded. But, looking now, if I didn’t get scolded like that, I know that I wouldn’t be who I am now. I’m thankful for that.

This will be your 4th year in Morning Musume. Do you feel that you have matured?

I think I have changed, even a little, when I’m glad that I got it together. Therefore, next time, I want to have the same feelings that Iida has and I want to become a person who can tell the members after me various things. Today, I promised that with Iida.

From now on, you will be one of the older members.  

When Ishikawa graduates in the spring, I will the 3rd person from the top (laughs). By age, Miki is older, but since she is 6th generation, I’ll be the older member.  

Ah, is that so?

Will I be ok?

Please hold it together (laughs).

Yes, I’ll do my best!

The 3rd, huh. Lots of things have happened. You have experienced graduations many times, huh.

Whenever a person graduates, of course, I have feelings of “sadness.” I think I have been able to look more positively more than before. I have come wanting to see me doing solo activities. And, as I see that, I also want to do my best. I also want to see how I will change too.

For example, you want to inherit the solo parts that the older members sang during lives, but that comes with a great responsibility.

That’s true. When Abe graduated, I received quite a bit of Abe’s parts. That was my chance and my feeling of responsibility increased greatly.  

Were you able to grow at that point too?

Yes. Recently, at Morning Musume lives, I sang Abe’s parts in “Memory Seishun no Hikari.” At that time, I felt, “This is really great,” again and I thought, “Ah, Abe has always sung this song.” When I listen and sing the song, it is completely different, but it is to be expected. And it just happens that I bought the “Memory” CD.

Before you joined Morning Musume?

Yes. I thought it was a good song. Therefore, right now, it’s amazing that I’m singing the song and I have great responsibility to sing it well. No matter how much I like Abe’s singing, I don’t want others to say, “It was better before.” I’m doing my best to have others say, “It’s a good difference,” or “I can hear a different song.”

It’s a different difficulty than when you get a solo part of a new song, huh?

It’s different. With a song that has a history, it becomes a target to compare with the old one.

Are you prepared for the good and bad of both versions?

Of course. It’s natural that there will be people who think that Abe’s version is better. But, among those people, there maybe people saying, “But, this version is also good.” I’ll gamble on that side (laughs).

Maybe those who think the previous version is better will turn their heads.

Yes, that’s what I think. Like, “How was it?!” But, that might be too cool. Usually, I’m not that cool at all. I become cool on stage. It’s probably because it’s something I like to do. I like to dance and sing, so the live is always the only place where I can be cool.  

But that might be the real you?

Maybe?

The Takahashi on stage is quite strong.

Ahaha. Maybe.

When you dance, your expression also changes.

Ah, that’s often said. But, I don’t really know. But, well, that might be my cool face (laughs).

Which part do you think of you that has changed the most since you joined?

The part of me during lives, maybe. I think the best place to grow during work is on stage. I did lives in the middle of my first year. I think I changed a lot during that time. For example, before, I just thought of not making any mistakes and having to catch up. But, in the middle of doing lives all the time, the way I think changed. Not making a mistake is important, but more important than that is I have to convey. Among the expressions in the world, I think I have come to understand that just trying my best is not enough.  

It is not keeping the things you learned perfect, but that you still haven’t been able to perfect it?

Yes. Before, if I messed up anything, it will immediately show on my face. But, recently, it seems it doesn’t come out. Even though I make a mistake, I think it is better to show it. I’ve come to notice that it is more fun at lives that way.  

If that’s the case, then that might be the reason we can see your strength.

Maybe. But, really, even if I make a mistake, it might not be good that it’s done with flair (laughs).

When you first come on stage, I get the impression of a feeble girl, but…

Hahaha. When I first come on stage, my attitude is too weak. I still have the sense of “ballet” within me.  

You started learning ballet since you were little, huh.

The other day, I saw a video of Mako-chan when she first started. And I thought her frank attitude was good.

Do you think it’s not good to have an attitude?

Not necessarily so. When doing ballet-like behavior, in the end, it is not cool. Isn’t it cooler in a dance to a more rough behavior? Well, it is not cool if you start stooping.

Do you feel like it becomes a bit of rock?

Maybe. Before, I might have held on the feeling of “I did ballet,” a little too long.

I’m sure that the feeling of the beat is completely different.

Yes. When I was learning ballet, I never heard of a 16 beat. Really (laughs).

During these 4 years, you sure have remembered a lot of things.

I was still my 3rd year of middle school, so I knew way too little. But, in a blink of an eye, 4 years have passed. I still remember my audition as if it happened just recently. The boarding house, the acceptance place; I can even draw them, but I can’t draw (laughs). Anyways, the speed of the day passes by fast. 24 hours just doesn’t seem enough.

When running around, in a blink of an eye, 1 year has passed.

When thinking how to do things carefully, time passes by too quickly. So, now I have come to think of valuing my own time more preciously. Until then, I thought, “It’s ok even if I don’t have time for myself, right?” So for 1 to 2 years I didn’t have time to myself.

Right now, how do you treasure it?

Through little things. When I go into the bath, the time from bath to when I sleep, and so on. At that time, even if I’m not doing anything special, I’ve come to feel, “Ah, times like these are good.”

That is not Morning Musume Takahashi Ai time, but just Takahashi Ai time?

Yes, normal time (laughs). Without thinking and then suddenly noticing that time passed, “Ah, it’s already this time?”  

What do you do to pass the time?

Nothing too important. Usually, while grumbling to my mother, it becomes sleeping time (laughs). I also read a lot. But, recently, I thought of learning English. Therefore, when I choose a movie, I can watch it again on DVD, but it is difficult. I can’t keep up.

It’s amazing you do this even though you are busy.  

First, while watching with Japanese subtitles, I listen to the English. Then I watch it with English subtitles. But, when watching with English subtitles, I only try to catch the spelling, and in the middle, I go, “Ah, what’s the meaning?” and don’t understand. Recently, I feel like I understand more than before, but I can’t keep up speaking yet.

Always with the same movie?

Yes. That’s why I look for a movie I won’t get tired of. Right now, it’s “Coyote Ugly.”

Wow, cool. Fits the image perfectly. If you also said, “A Romance Day Off,” it’ll be surprising (laughs).  

Is that so?! Not too long ago, I was thinking of taking English classes. I want to learn everyday conversational English than English taught in school. I think I’m more attached to watching movies.  

Other than movies, you can also learn from music.

That’s true. You can also dance in “Coyote Ugly.” Moreover, right now, I want to be able to sing like Leann Rhymes, whose song is in the movie. Yeah, right now, I think I want to learn songs more than conversation. I listen to a lot of Western music. If I don’t look at the lyrics, I don’t understand. Therefore, I want to get to the level where while listening to the song, I can go, “Ah, so that’s meaning of the lyrics.” I want to understand English to that extent.

You seem to get absorbed into things…

It might be a good thing.

Do you like studying?

More like I like seeing all kinds of things. Not only just Japan, I want to try to see things all over the world. Each country has their culture and traditions, right? Someday, it’ll be great if I can go around and see lots of things. But, first, I have to study Japanese culture.

So when a foreigner asks, “What is kabuki?” you won’t be in trouble when explaining (laughs).

Right. But, if somebody asks me about Takarazuka [an all female musical troupe], I have confidence in explaining.

Right now, do you think you are  unsatisfied with yourself?

Maybe. I always think, “I can still do better.” I think that kind of thinking is negative. And then, last year, during the musical, I sought advice from the people who were co-starring. They said, “That is positive thinking.”

On the “not good enough yet” thinking?

Yes. The “I’m not acknowledging myself,” part, so I keep moving forward. I completely understood that. What I worried was that I need proof that I’m moving forward. I felt quite relieved then. That’s why, right now, I’m able to talk about it.

It was quite a big change?

It was big. I’m really glad I sought advice.

What you thought was negative turns out to be positive, just like when you think your blood type is A, but it turns out it is O.

Yes, yes (laughs). When I think I can’t, the “me” right now, thinks I can do better, so it’s a big reversal. Therefore, I will continue to think that way from now on.

Did you have fun as you gradually built a new self?

Ah, I might had have fun.

Right now, do you have some new interest that came to you during work?

In terms of trying something fun, I want to try drama or theater. I still don’t have self-confidence and at a stage to be able to say “I can do it!” yet. Recently, from the bottom of my heart, I thought, “Ah, this is fun.” I’m bad at remembering monologues and it takes time for me to remember. Therefore, I’m pretty sure I’ll be bad at dramas and theater, but I think it is really fun, so perhaps I can become good at it. I’ve come to feel that way. And, I go watch a lot of theater shows.

To study?

Not only for that reason. Nevertheless, when I watch it, I think, “If it is me, I want to do this.” “Ah, I want to stand there.” Recently, on my days off, I feel like to go watching.

But, from when you debuted, you experienced theater in “Morning Town.”

But, at that time, it wasn’t good at all. I still didn’t have self-confidence. I could only be composed with my back facing the guests. That’s so long ago. At that time, I mailed Tsunku for advice saying, “I going to mess up my monologue.”

He replied, “Don’t worry about it, and do your best on the play,” huh.

Yes, yes. That’s memorable. I was really like a kid. Asking advice for that.

Well, last year was a big turning point year then.

Yeah. Last year, I turned 18. It was one year full of things. There were times where it was painful, but thanks to that, my way of thinking has changed. I’m glad I got over that.

Were there a lot of painful times?

Yes, but, of course, there were lots of fun times too. The painful things… were quite painful! When thinking like that, I become negative again (laughs). There are things I couldn’t do and I get depressed, but it was a good experience. Members, staff, and the people around me, all encouraged me. No matter how hard it was, I knew it was a blessing that I was in a good environment.

Right now, are you glad you are in Morning Musume?

Very much. I’ve been with the members longer than with my family, so we can understand each other very well. Therefore, recently, on the other hand, when I have long holiday, I miss them.

You want to meet them again, huh.

So, even on our days off, we all mail each other (laughs). That happens a lot. Therefore, it feels like a normal family.

Being together that long, I would think you guys don’t want to see each other’s faces (laughs).

That’s what I thought. But, not at all. Even in private, we are together more than friends at school. Even during work, we promise to go together. We sleep over at each other’s places. Especially in the same generation, we are the closest family.

Has it gotten so painful that you want to stop being in Morning Musume?

Hehehe, yeah. Honestly, it was right after I joined. I really got homesick. First, transferring schools was tough.

What time was the most painful during the past year?

At that time, I didn’t have any feelings of wanting to quit. Moreover, the musical was a big thing. The experience then really saved me. In the musical I received a major role. There was a great pressure, but at the same time, the feelings of wanting to do this came out. There was also a responsibility to convey the message that was in the story. Therefore, there wasn’t this pain of wanting to stop. It was wanting to be able to play the role.

When you are pressured, do you get pumped up?

Hmm, I wonder. I’m pretty sure that the more pressure there is, the more I want to do it. In the beginning, I thought, “I can’t do this,” but in some time, my feelings change and I became fired up. When I think, “Ah, I’ll be ok,” I can change to, “Ok, I can do this!”

You turned 18 now; are you feeling more mature?

Yes. But, long ago, I thought the 18 year old me would be more mature.

When you joined, did you think you would still be in Morning Musume even when you turned 18?

I didn’t have time to think about it. I didn’t even think about tomorrow (laughs).  

What will 20 year old Takahashi be?

Hmm, I wonder. I want to change how I think now by then.

But, you don’t want the curiosity that you have now to change, right?

Yes. When I have time, I want to be absorbed in things. Even now, even a little, I want to be in to a lot of things. It’s because I don’t want to feel like I’m not doing anything. I always want to do something. That’s why going to bed is wasteful.  

You sure are greedy (laughs).

Ahaha. I know there are more important things then sleeping, it’s the time of growth. But, even though I have to go to sleep, I look at my watch saying, “Just a little more,” when I watch movies.

Life goes by fast?

Death might come quickly (laughs). But, that kind of time is not even bitter. It’s not that I don’t have a sense that I have to study. I think it’s more like a vitamin for growth.

When you turn 20, you might have graduated from Morning Musume.

I don’t know, I haven’t thought of that far yet.

What kind of time do you think you will be graduating?

I don’t know anything about that. But I want it to be a time where I think I can graduate. Doing the things you want to do; to graduate because you want to, something like that. Umm, I really don’t know.

Well, then, there are two questions from the community. First, what kind of person do you think Tsunku is?

A great person. Even during recordings and lives, when I see Tsunku’s thinking and decisions, I always think, “That’s good.”

Have you sought various advice from him even now?

We mail each other quite a bit. Recently, I asked him for advice for the Hello! Project live that we are doing now. At that time, what Tsunku told me is Morning Musume sings other people’s songs and other people sing Morning Musume songs, so for this reason we are amazing… something like that. Therefore, he says it’s ok to try harder and study music. Please sing the songs more carefully. Yeah, I really agree.

He somehow knows what you are thinking?

At the Hello! Project live, I sang “Akai Nikkihchou.” Just before the live, my solo part increased rapidly. Actually, it was really fast. Also, I think my expression, honestly, failed to be “composed.” I think that’s what Tsunku wanted to say.

The pain stabbed you.

Without getting the lyrics all mixed up, my head was filled to the fullest. So, I sang each line carefully, and I felt that my feelings didn’t go around. But, I feel what Tsunku said changed me. But, I’m still not there.

Something like, you can do more.

Yes. But, sometimes I try too hard, “go too far,” and I get mad (laughs). In “The Manpower!!!” they say I did way too much. It’s like it’s fake, and even though I want to stop, I can’t.  

Ahaha.

Isn’t my back small [proverb]? That’s why I want to show it’s big. Maybe that’s why I over do it (laughs).

It’s like that is the reason we can see the big back, recently.

Ah, I’m happy. But it is still small, because of Mini Moni (laughs).

Well, then, the last question. What kind of person is Morning Musume Takahashi Ai? Last time you answered “my pace.”

The “my pace” hasn’t changed. I’m still barely fast.

But, you know you are positive. You became the type to go forward continuously.  

Right. It seems like I grew. But, even now, my worries still haven’t run out yet. When I go home, I remember and worry about that stuff that happened that day.

But, you don’t show that on your face?

I plan not to show it, but it seems out in the open. They often ask, “Ah, what happened?” (laughs).

My pace and…

Stubborn. Ehehe, it can’t be helped, but I’m stubborn. I’m stubborn, but I can be insecure. If I’m set on one path, I only go that way, but even if a little doesn’t go right in the middle of it, I go, “Ah, what should I do? What should I do?”

Somehow, this peculiar characteristic runs through the 5th generation.

Really? But, I’m usually like this. Really like this.

But, for people who think they are normal, they are not normal.

Um, there might be a little gap. When you have to hurry, you are not in a hurry. When you don’t have to hurry, you are in a hurry. That might be a little weird. It’s like to praising a point, but you don’t praise it.

In other words? Something in work?

Yes. For example, after a live, when somebody said, “That was good,” I reply, “No, it still not good enough.”

Stubborn.

No, more than stubborn, when I’m praised, I definitely think, “Really, why?” I don’t take it in (laughs).

It might be that you think if you acknowledge that, you will stop growing.

Yes, I think so. I’m happy that I’m praised, really happy. I want to be praised. But, I still don’t want to acknowledge it. If I acknowledge it, I think that’s the end.

The next time you want to be praised more.

Yes, undoubtedly.

(2005.01.26)

Morning Musume My Best Song “Do it! Now”
 It was shocking that it was a mature, cool song.

It was “Something like me;” the moment I heard the intro, inspiration hit, and I thought, “I love this song!” Until then, energetic, happy songs continued, so this mature, cool song was shocking. After this PV was shot, I knew Goto was graduating, so I thought, “This is the last song,” and wanted to sing it seriously. Even now, it’s a song where I remember things of that time.

Offline S-N-I-P-E-R

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
Many thanks for all these interviews :D
Goodluck Yossie :heart:

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: After School - Timeless