JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Hibi Go Go

Author Topic: MM x Tsunku 2 Translations  (Read 28642 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
MM x Tsunku 2 Translations
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
GJ Fenrir!! Thanks for Aichan's!! God, I really love that about her, that she's interested in learning so many new things... She seems so passionate, I really admire her for that :D
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline KMEI

• ecchi
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
thanks for translating these, it's fun reading even though there's no video :>

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
Quote from: MK^;321486
thanks for translating these, it's fun reading even though there's no video :>

That's because there is no video. lol MM X Tsunku 2 is an interview book written back before Iida's graduation. All MM members are interviewed, including the graduated members. I'll eventually be getting to all the members, so just wait Shi! I'll get to your Nacchi!! :ONfarofflook:

Offline Shoko

• Member+
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »
Yuko too? :D

<3
Having a hard day? Send me a PM and I'll create a parody of something! It's my policy to make you laugh. If you don't, I will do it again. Until you crack a smile :)

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 07:37:07 AM »
^^^ Yup, the Queen of H!P too! :ONfarofflook:

All I ask is for you guys to be patient! :ONluvluv2:

Offline Shoko

• Member+
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 07:38:20 AM »
YES :D:D:D

No pressure, just wondering :heart:
Having a hard day? Send me a PM and I'll create a parody of something! It's my policy to make you laugh. If you don't, I will do it again. Until you crack a smile :)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 09:59:17 AM »
I'll wait FenFen!!!! I've got all the patience in the world :lol: :heart:

*wears a 'Fenrir fangirl' T-shirt*

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Niigaki Risa

Morning Musume is still like a dream while living it in reality.

The moment the dream came true, it became “reality.” Occasionally, reality is harsher than the dream. But, Niigaki Risa is very lucky. While her dream came true, reality is much more fun. Everyday, she goes and creates feelings of happiness with everybody in Morning Musume; showing more brilliance than anybody. Challenged to open a hole in the wall, the younger members do their best, as they are uneasy of the wonderful “continuing dream.” Even though the times have change, she continues the mission of protecting the unchanging “pride of Morning Musume.”

Birthday: 1988.10.20
 Blood Type: B
 Birthplace: Kanagawa Prefecture
 Debut Song: Mr. Moonlight – Ai no Big Band- (2001.10.31)
 Stage Debut: Himeji Central Park (2001.10.21)

Yuki Nohji: It’s been two and half years since the previous book “MM x Tsunku.”

Niigaki Risa: It feels so long ago. It was just around the time of “Do it! Now,” so it wasn’t that far back…right? I wonder if I have changed. At that time, I was still middle school 2nd year student.

You’ve become an adult. Speaking of that, at the last Hello Pro live, when I saw you singing the Mini Moni song, I mistaken you, thinking “I wonder if that person is part of the kids?” (laughs).

Ahaha. The kids are rapidly growing up too. Right now, because of my height, I get mistaken for other people in Hello! Project.

It’s been three and half years since you joined Morning Musume. What point about you that has changed the most?

When I joined, I have never really danced or sung. It felt like I started from the very, very beginning. Up until then I’ve only copied what Morning Musume did when I watched them on T.V. But now, I’ve grown accustomed to being able to sing and dance normally. When the younger members joined and if they asked a question, I think I’m able to answer their questions. Before, because I was the youngest, I always had the spoiled thinking of if there’s something I don’t understand they will tell me. But, now, I’ve come to think of I have to hold it together more than before.  

When the 6th generation joined, was it big?

Let’s see.  When I heard about them joining, I was surprised. My feeling of being the youngest was still strong, so I couldn’t believe that I can’t be a younger member.

Were you also worried?

I had the feeling of, “Did they join already?” It might have been a little too early.

When the 6th generation members joined, did the group changed?

I think it has changed.

Did you remember the time when you first joined?

In the beginning I did. When they joined, the 6th generation was just settling and when I saw their restless worried figures, I thought they were the same as us. And when we were worrying the same way, the generation that told us various things casually was the 4th generation. Therefore, for 6th generation also, I think the closest group for them to ask questions easily to would be us. We talked amongst ourselves that we had to teach them. But, the difference between us and the 6th generation was that at first we couldn’t even greet each other…

What happened to the 5th generation?

Completely opposite, we thought we had to greet everybody. No matter who, we greeted them happily and energetically. In the company, everybody, even if it was a random encounter, even to the post office person, we say “Good morning!” in a loud voice and surprise them that they said, “Eh?” (laughs). Afterwards, we all got together and talked about whether greeting everybody was needed. Therefore, when I couldn’t properly meet with the 6th generation, I thought “Huh?” when I saw them. But, now, we’ve properly met each other.

The 5th generation has become the generation in the middle.

That’s right. I suddenly realize that above 5th generation there are only Yaguchi, Yoshizawa, and Ishikawa, so it’s a big shock. I still really don’t have the feeling that I’m an “older member.” Iida is graduating in about 2 weeks, but I still have the feeling that we will still always be together. And after, I think Ishikawa’s graduation will just come in a blink of an eye, but right now, it still like, “Is she really going to graduate?” However, until the day that Iida and Ishikawa graduate, there still are lots of good Morning Musume points to teach. I feel that I have to be able to teach the 6th generation kids and when the 7th generation join.

In two and half years, 5 people graduated. In spring, Ishikawa will graduate too, so from now, the younger members will seem to increase.  

It’s like in a flash there are lots of people graduating. When it was decided that Non and Aibon were graduating, I thought, “No way!” We’re only 1 year apart and with the 5th generation, I felt that the 6 of us were like always together at school. They taught us a lot of things, and when we are depressed, they make us laugh. They were so close that I couldn’t believe that suddenly they were going to graduate. The two of them that are so bright, energetic, and create the Morning Musume atmosphere are graduating together, so at first, when I heard it I was like “That’s a joke, right?”

The time when you were still watching as a fan, the heart of the members, Tsuji, Aibon, Goto, all left, so have the atmosphere of Morning Musume changed?

It has. But, even if those two leave, Morning Musume will still be Morning Musume. Goto, Yasuda, Abe, W, Iiida; they each taught various things that I won’t forget and I don’t want to break the Morning Musume that the older members have created. In order to be able to become “New Morning Musume,” I also need to grow.  

Do you have any thoughts of taking over?

With all my feelings, I really do. But, I don’t know if I will be able to do it… To say something “Morning Musume-like” is like even if the person graduates, I feel that their thoughts and feelings are still there.

How do you go about conveying something “Morning Musume-like?”

I wonder. For example, this time, when we heard about Iida’s graduation, there was worry about the member who was there from the beginning leaving. But, the things that Yaguttsan and Yoshizawa were taught until now… The choreography that we didn’t know, they would teach us saying, “It’s more like this feeling, but doing it this way will change it,” and “Singing this song with feelings this way will have meaning.” And the things we have learned, we will need to teach the younger members. I feel by doing it like that, we will be able to convey ourselves.  

For example, does Tsunku say, “Be sure to take over the “Morning Musume-likeness?””

No, not at all.

Then it’s spontaneous?

It’s more like it’s something we should tell them. Of course, if the member isn’t here, then they won’t understand the “feeling” part. You learn the dance from the teacher, but that is just copying the form.  

At first, you were probably the member that was the most “Morning Musume fan.”

Yeah, probably.

From that standpoint, when you watched from the outside and when you watched when you joined, did you tell the difference in the “Morning Musume-likeness?”

When I saw it from the outside, it was a really sparkling image. Everybody was dancing and singing energetically and it was bright, so just by watching, I would become energetic. Therefore, I would check all the shows that Morning Musume appeared on. If I couldn’t see it, I would record the show. Not just the songs, but also variety shows, shows that have talks, lives… I love everything. That’s why I entered the auditions with the feeling of “I definitely want to join!” If I joined, of course it’s not just having fun, singing, dancing, and being vibrant (laughs). In order to create that kind of Morning Musume, in the shadows, everybody puts in a lot of effort and practice countless of times. When I see that, I think, “Ah, with that much effort, when it is seen on T.V. it shines that much.”

If you were still in the position of a “fan” right now, what would you think of the Morning Musume right now?

I think I’ll be thinking it’s steadily changing. New members are coming in. But, even with that, it’s still has that Morning Musume likeness, so I think that’s one of the interesting points. It’s steadily changing, but it’s always becoming like “if this member is not here, then they can’t do it” Morning Musume. But that is mysterious. It’s like only that member can do it. Even in “The Manpower!!!” it’s a world if it isn’t this many people then we can’t do it.

Even if you were to continue on as a normal high school student, would you still be a Morning Musume fan now?

Yes. I love them. I would sing “The Manpower!!!” at karaoke. I would still collect the cards and be told, “You are already a high school student” (laughs).

You seem to collect a lot of cards.

Yes. When I go to the convenience stores I go buy them and it’s fun collecting them. Even now, if I see a store selling them, I would think, “Maybe I should buy it.”

Even if you don’t buy them, you still have it.

Yeah, that’s right (laughs). But it’s not because I can get those. It’s good that stores have them. I think its good to go look for them and buy them while thinking, “Ah!”

A model of a true fan.

Actually, when I joined, I bought them countless of times. When I find them in convenience stores, I’m happy.  

A real mania (laughs).

Ufufu, I really love it.

When a member is going to graduate, do you guys still talk?

With each person, yes. Around the time when Yasuda graduated, all the 5th generation members sighed and were sad. Not only with Yasuda’s graduation, but with each person, we were worried about different things. And then on her graduation day, Yasuda said, “Come here,” and all of us gathered around. She told us, “Today, I’m graduating, but if you ever have any troubles, mail or call me.” When I didn’t understand, I would go ask the older members, so no matter what, if the new members don’t understand, I want them to ask me for advice. That would make me very happy. Yasuda doesn’t usually say it, but in the shadows, she’s always a person who looks after us.

So she secretly looks after you guys.

When we are really troubled, she would ask, “Are you ok?” and there’s a lot of something like, “Eh? I didn’t say anything, so how did you know?” Iida is also like that too. Not only for work, but she will say, “If anything happens, it’s ok to call me,” and when you are worrying alone, mail me…

At first, were you afraid of Iida?

Yes. Also, we were bad. No matter how many times they said the same thing, we couldn’t do it. It happened a lot at first; but in dances, even if we knew it in our heads, our bodies wouldn’t move. But, at that time, they didn’t get mad at us, and probably it’s still like this even now. Therefore, I’m really grateful.

At that time, what was your impression of what Iida said to you?

She didn’t just scold us, but also gave lots of advice. For example, when in a dance lesson, she would say, “Even if they say to take a break, if you practice, you will become even better.” And then, during break the next day, during that time, you can review the parts you couldn’t do. Before coming, everybody practices ahead of time. With everybody doing something like that, in the end we really did improve. If you didn’t mention it, I wouldn’t have noticed. Probably, if you say to take a break, you would think you have to rest.  

Compared with studying at school, what part of learning in Morning Musume is the most different?

For Morning Musume, unlike school, it is not dull. Even the members who joined at the same time, there are people who shoots ahead with just practice. Therefore, it’s not like studying for school, “I’ve done it up to now, it’s good enough.”

The competition is also tough, but it might just make Morning Musume members, who get along well, help each other out.

It really does. Since it’s 12 girls that are gathered together, I think it’s really great that we all get along well.

There is also the power of unity.

Yes. Probably, each of us hold the thought of “being one group.” Even alone, it’s like, “I can do it” and if you only think of yourself, I think it’ll become all over the place. Even in dance, even if the choreography is complete, it should be an impression of being “scattered.” But in Morning Musume, I can do it, I would teach the person who can’t do it and when checking the choreography, I would say something like, “It will be ok if this feeling fit here.”  

Why are you able to do it? Usually, if you can do it and your rival cannot, don’t you think, “That’s what you get!”?

Ahaha, I guess so. But I don’t know why it becomes like that. Since I joined, it’s already been like that feeling. In the end, when I see the older members teaching us, I think that this kind of relationships is good, so I also want to give the same kind of feeling to the younger members.

From the beginning, you always felt that kind of atmosphere as “nice?”

Yes. There are times that it is peaceful and there are times where we talk about the dance very seriously. I think that kind of feeling is very cool. With everybody serious, we show the cool Morning Musume feelings that come with it.  

Incidentally, what do the 3 younger 6th generation members call you?

Kame calls me “Gaki-san;” another is “Niigaki-san.”

You have reached a position that you are called “Niigaki-san.”

Ahahaha. I don’t think they are type of people who finds that kind of talk “painful.” When the 5th generation members joined, when the older members spoke to us, our hearts would beat fast, but 6th generation is different from us in that they will talk. I’m happy about that because it makes it easier for me to talk to them.

They don’t call you “Omame-chan” and such?

They don’t call me anything like that (laughs). If they did, I might get nervous instead. When Abe said that it’s ok to call her Nacchi, I replied, “That’s impossible.” But, only once did I call her “Nacchi,” she was really happy, and I was happy. We all adored the older members as “a person on T.V.,” but that feeling really exist within ourselves. So ever since when we watched them on T.V., we felt that, but actually, even though we met them, that didn’t change at all. Probably, I think that part is also “Morning Musume like.” Everybody feels like “a normal person.” I think that is ok.

It seems that the human relationship on how you call your older members have changed.

It has. In the beginning I also called Yaguttsan “Yaguchi-san.” After that, Yaguttsan said, “It’s hard saying Marippe, so it’s ok to call me Yaguttsan.” But, at first, in a small voice and timidly, we called her. Now, I call her “Yaguttsan,” normally and I think if humans adore somebody, they will adore them (laughs). I also called Non-chan and Aibon “Tsuji-san” and “Kago-san” at first. But, ever since they said that it’s ok to call them “Non-chan” and “Aibon,” I feel that we steadily got along better.

What is your most painful thing since you joined Morning Musume?

I wonder. I don’t think I have a lot. The most painful thing is when you are doing a live and forget to have fun. And there are more times where it is emotionally moving and fun than painful.

For example, even when you can’t do the dance and are disappointed, if you can remember correctly for the live it’s ok?

Yes. But, since joining Morning Musume, I haven’t thought of anything that painful. Probably. Everyday is fun. Up to now, I haven’t thought of not liking to do the work.

Really?

Yup, not at all. But, I have moments where it’s a little tiring. I really have never thought of not doing this at all.  

But you have felt that a little bit?

That’s often said (laughs). It’s really fun. The feelings are completely different from going to school and going to work. Occasionally, I think of, “Ah, I don’t want to go to school today,” but I joined Morning Musume, whom I love myself, so right now, I’m continuing to do something I like. Isn’t it like a dream coming true? Even now, I think, “This isn’t a dream, right (laughs)?”

But it is said that just as a dream come true, it ends. To join Morning Musume is granting a dream and continuing the dream is happiness.

Yes. Even though everybody’s dream of wanting to join Morning Musume comes true, not the entire dream comes true. Actually, I think each person has her own dream. Even though everybody all sings together and dance together, I think each person of “I want to be like this” is different.

What is your dream?  

I have a lot. If the kids that are the same age as me when I wanted to join Morning Musume saw us now and want to join, I’ll be happy. If I am able to have a lot of people say, “I become energetic when I see Morning Musume,” that is good.

Is “energetic” a keyword for Morning Musume forever?

I think so. Energetic and power. When I saw Morning Musume on T.V., power really showed. And then, when something good didn’t happen, I’m able to think , “I’ll do my best the next day.” I want to power up more without falling.  

Soon it will be the generation of when kids say, “I saw Niigaki, so I want to join Morning Musume.”  

I’m happy that you say something like that. When I was an elementary student, I definitely wanted to join Morning Musume when I grew up.

But someday you will graduate, right?

Yeah. But I still want to be in Morning Musume. Someday, even by myself, I want to be able to do it.

And that is until when?

Many years after… I really don’t know. Right now I still want to be able to train in Morning Musume. I want to create something even more “Morning Musume-like” with everybody.

I have the best image of you being a person who wants to stay in Morning Musume forever, but…

I love Morning Musume, so, of course, I love being in Morning Musume. But, even when it comes to a time where I can do it by myself, there might be kids who love Morning Musume more than me (laughs). Then, I think I will want to hand over my dream to that girl.

When you graduate, what do you think will prompt it?

I wonder? Before, I thought it was just the age order, but when Non-chan and Aibon graduated, it had nothing to do with age. Therefore, I don’t know who will graduate first among the 5th generation members.

And, before you know it, you will be 29 (laughs).

Well, that won’t happen (laughs). I’m still 16. But, since joining Morning Musume, time has gone by fast and it won’t be strange when I turn 20. One year of Morning Musume is really like a blink of eye. Everyday passes by really fast. When going through school normally, one day was really long and felt like, “It’s still not over?” But, when in Morning Musume, one day doesn’t feel as long as one day, I think. These past three and half years were like a blink of an eye.  

Will 3 years from now be like a blink of an eye?

I think so. Then, suddenly, I’ll be 19. Oh, my (laughs).

What will you be at 19 years old?

I hope that I won’t change. But, probably, members below me will join, so I’ll probably be teaching them various things with self-confidence. It would be good if it is that. I wonder what kind of members will join; I look forward to it.

As a Morning Musume maniac?

Yes (laughs).

Well then, two questions from the community. First, for you, what kind of person is Tsunku?

Tsunku is a person who changed my destiny.

A person who made your dream came true?

Yes. Since the day I was chosen, my life has drastically changed. Up until then, I was a normal student and I go to school, come home, and watch programs that had Morning Musume, etc; something like that. And then I was able to join the group that I adored. With a meaning like that, if Tsunku wasn’t here, I would have had a completely different life.

Have you received any advice, recently?

He is always mailing me all kinds of things, but after the last Hello! Project live, he wrote something like, “You have a great smile while singing. When I see that smile, I’m deeply moved,” and I was really happy. He really saw me.

Is your smile the point that you want noticed?

Yes. I’m always smiling during a concert. Your not suppose to smile when singing, but, basically, I smile all the time. It’s fun. If he saw that, I would be happy. But, since there are so many members, I’m surprised that he is able to really see each of us. Tsunku is really a person who has love.

Well then, one more question. What kind of person is Morning Musume’s Niigaki Risa? Before, you answered impatient though.

Yeah, that hasn’t changed. Last time, Iida said, “Please use a watch.” It’s said that if one looks at his/her watch it’ll fix impatience. That’s because you will be properly reading the time. I wonder if that’s true. Certainly, when we gather together before a concert, we come quickly saying “U-n”, and that might fix the bad habit, but for me, before the person finishes talking, I reply back… I also have that kind of impatience, so even using a watch might not fix it.

How about if you had a stopwatch?

Ahahaha. Dividing seconds is impatience. In the beginning, I was impatient in feeling the rhythm (laughs). But, recently, I’ve finally come to fix that. Therefore, I’m really an impatient person. Also, I’m a noisy person.

Because you are energetic?

Yup. I’m often told, “You’re loud!” when I get too excited. My tension increases when I talk and I have fun by myself.  

Do you feel that life is fun and noisy?

Yes. Everyday is really fun. Therefore, last time, when I had 6 days off, I thought it was too much.

You want to work more than taking breaks?

Yes.

You might be a work-a-holic.

But, it doesn’t feel like “work.” On the other hand, I rather be working than not working and be doing nothing. I want to be moving. Therefore, in the middle of those 6 days off, I felt, “I’ve rested long enough!”

You really love work.

Therefore at the end of a break, when I think of starting work the next day, I’m happy. If I haven’t seen a member for awhile, my tension becomes really high (laughs).  

Happiness, right?

Yes, great happiness. That’s because everyday I do things that I like to do!

(2005.1.18 )

Morning Musume My Best Song “The Manpower!!!”
 It’s just like Morning Musume power.

The songs I like are slowly increasing. Speaking of which, the songs I like are increasing as it each new song comes out. Therefore, it’s really difficult to decide on one song. Recently, I really like “Shabondama,” but now, it’s “The Manpower!!!” The song and dance is really fun. You can’t do the song by yourself and everybody creates the power… In other words, it’s a song where a great amount of Morning Musume power comes out.

Offline mr.niigaki

• is a female.
  • Member+
  • remember the noisy girls
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 06:23:25 PM »
Thanks so much for more translations, especially for Niigaki! :heart:

I look forward to the future ones you'll be doing! Thanks again!!

Offline BakHamNoi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
thanks for the Ai-chan translation :D

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Konno Asami

Ambitiously doing her best at her pace.

At first, she seemed to be the worst at bowling. However, while photographing during the game, she set a grand record of making it to 3rd in the individual records! Like an exception, it was beyond anybody’s understanding. This result is, indeed, like Konno Asami.
 Even in Morning Musume, at times, you can see as much confidence as there is hesitation.
 Actually, she continues to clear barriers one by one. There is a fighting spirit burning inside of her.
 It is appropriate to correctly call one genre of hers ambitiously doing her best at her pace.

Birthday: 1987.05.07
 Blood Type: B
 Birthplace: Hokkaido
 Debut Song: “Mr. Moonlight ~Ai no Big Band~” (2001.10.31)

Yuko Nohji: It has been fast. You are getting into your 4th year since joining Morning Musume.

Konno Asami: Wah, it’s amazing~. By age, I’m perfectly in the middle.

If you look back at the years up to now, how do you feel?

It really is in a blink of an eye. And since joining, it’s always an image like being one of the younger members and my feelings of that is strong. That’s why when I noticed that I was in the middle I was surprised. Even now, “in the middle” image is around when Goto-san graduated.

Then, do you still have even the tiniest feeling of being a “new member” even now?

I still have that feeling. But, this time, Iida is graduating and I’ve been thinking a little. While remembering all the things I’ve done in Morning Musume up until now, I also have thought a lot about being in Iida’s position.  

About your feelings toward Iida when you joined?

Yes. In the beginning, I had a really scary image of Iida. But, if I was an original member like Iida, I would have debuted with lots of hardships… With girls like us, new members who don’t know anything, joining rapidly, I wonder what kind of feelings I would have with the group changing. I think I will surely be lonely and worried. However, Iida never said anything like, “This is how it was done in the past.” Changing her feelings, she is also kind to the new members and does her best, while paying attention to the progress of the new Morning Musume. Again and again, I think that is amazing. If it was me, I don’t think I’m able to do that. But, I have to be sure that I pass down what Iida has done so far. That kind of thinking might have come late though.

Going back a little to talk about how you reached your thoughts as of now. When did start thinking that you were a member of Morning Musume?

Since debuting in 2001 up to the 2002 spring live, thoughts of still being a 5th generation member became smaller. I still had feelings of “Is it ok to be together?” and “Will I be ok in Morning Musume?” But, afterwards, when we were doing the musical; that was the first time when I felt we were creating a show together. From then to the end of the year, little by little I felt my own conscious come out. Remembering now, at the end of that year… in the circle before the live, Iida said something like, “Let’s go like Morning Musume!” We all replied, “Shoi!”  

It’s the “Ikimasshoi!” before a live, huh.

Yes. At that time, I felt we were going to create one live together. Moreover, from then, I got used to the feeling of doing my best. I might have changed.

Did your thoughts on how to “do your best” changed?

It changed. At first, it was reckless-like. When I joined Morning Musume, I was in the “red points.” I was worried if I was able to do the same thing that all the others were doing. I wondered if I was born with any talent…

You didn’t have the confidence?

In the end, it is the people with a good voice that are born with it. There are also people born with no voice. So I think. I thought that because I was born a weak dancer, therefore, I couldn’t dance. When I see the others get what the teachers says without any research and in one deciding moment, I wonder if it was because I didn’t fit.  

So you thought about those things.

Thinking I can’t be negative and I have to be positive, I have fallen into depression at times. At those times, I thought there is no point in trying so hard.

You became very negative.

I did. But when other people say, “You tried so hard,” I get a little confident. In the first musical, I finally understood the trigger of grasping on how to sing. With all those things piling up, I think I finally came to understand on how to I do my best.

You get power from praises.

Yes. As the musical tour continued, when Yasuda said, “You’ve become good at singing. You’ve grown up,” I remember I was really happy. That’s because my singing was so good that Yasuda complimented me. Then, I resolved to do my very best. Even with that though, my wall would crumble and I would get depressed again. When I see myself on T.V., I would get embarrassed.  

About yourself?

Yes. When I think this is whom everybody is watching, I get embarrassed. That was around the spring of 2002, I think. Even now, seeing myself on T.V. and seeing myself in the mirror, it’s completely different. I think, “Ah, no good.”

Even though the fans say you are cute?

I only see things that are on my face that are not good. Yet, I say to myself, “If you do your best, it will work,” but sometimes I forget that feeling and I lose my self-confidence. I get scared of the audience.

Even though they are cheering for you?

I have stood on stage with my heart pounding thinking, “If I fail, what would they think of me?” Even now, I still have another heart pounding. Isn’t that what it’s said to be scared? When I think the audience is watching me, I feel that I go stiff, become tense, and become completely different. Therefore, in the past, I always tell myself, “I can’t do that,” and “I have to train harder.” But, recently, I have gotten used to it and then I worry if I’m getting lazy. Perhaps, just thinking about it now, I’ve gotten softer compared to the old me (laughs).

But, before you had lots and lots of high hurdles that you now naturally surpass?

Ah, other people have said that. During the New Year Hello! Project live I sang “Momoiro Kataomoi” halfway all by myself. It really felt like a “solo.” And I thought that this is a new wall, so I have to do my best. I remembered how desperately I was doing my best around the time of “Do it! Now.” I was negative, worn out, and my singing and dancing was bad…

You say some harsh things (laugh).

It really was like that, though. I really tried my best back then and when I compare that to now… I’m doing my best now, but if I compare it to before, it’s like I’m being completely easier on myself. When I talked to the staff people about it, they said, “It’s not that you aren’t trying your best, but the hurdles were much higher back then.” Is it really like that? But I still feel like I’m spoiling myself. I wonder what is going on.

That is because compared to when you just joined, you have done a lot of different things, right?

It still takes me more time than all the other people.

Isn’t that just your usual “my pace?”

I guess. My growth speed is really slow. Well, compared with before, I remember being a little “impatient” (laughs).

But that is your charm point.

But for growth I wondered if “my pace” is a good thing. Taking up time… As I thought, no matter how hard I try, slow is slow.  

You assert with your heart, saying, “Slow” (laughs)!

Yes. I’m slow, but I do want to become this or become that. I want to show myself that I’m going differently. If so, I think it is good to take you time. Right now, doing the lives is a lot of fun and I have lots of moments where I’m glad that I’m doing this work. Therefore, I want to go with a lot of these feelings. In order to do that, I have to do my best to the fullest.

What are the moments that you are glad that are doing this job?

When the audience, during the lives, is pumped up, excited, and goes “Wah!” And the time up until the actual day of the live is fun. The day before, I’m excited saying, “I’m looking forward to tomorrow.” And I talk with my friends on the train, in the car, while going to the location… When I imagine each person who’s looking forward to the live is coming I become happy.

So, you do your best.

Yes. When I do things in Morning Musume, I’m really happy. Long ago, when I was in elementary school, before I wanted to join Morning Musume, I have said I wanted to work in a job that effects people. In short, I didn’t know what I wanted to become (laughs). When I’m impressed by dramas, music, books, I think want to become the person who created it.

And, now you have become one of those people.

Yes. My dream came true. But, sometimes I forget about it. When I hit a wall (laughs).  

When you really think about it, wanting to become a person that influences other people is a great ambition.

I really like experiencing the effect of touching moments. Anything exciting, sympathetic… Ah, but in that sense, I might be lacking feelings of being impressed towards others. I don’t have any popular books and I don’t have a movie that I really want to see…That is not good. Recently, I have been running towards food and sleep.

Ahaha, it’s because you are in the adolescence years.

Well, I had my appetite for food from long ago. Before, there were a lot of things that I wanted to be able to do, so I felt that sleep was a waste. I wanted to make lots of memories that I could make. Even if there was only one volume out, I wanted to read lots of manga. More than sleep, I wanted to be inspired (laughs). That has happened before, but recently, even when I come home, it’s like hurrying to prepare for tomorrow, so I can sleep. On reflection, that is not good.

When you go home, you just collapse on the bed?

Yes. Ah, but I do keep a diary. I probably won’t keep going, but I thought I try it, so I bought a 5-year diary. And then, I saw the entry on the same day last year and I became excited. I do have days where I didn’t write, but I do have times where I wrote a lot. If I ate any delicious snacks or foods that will definitely be logged in the diary. Probably, in the future, when I re-read the diary I'll remember, “Ah, that snack was good.” But, I'm being silly (laughs). It's like I want to record those memories and feelings.

It is because that is you and that other people's memories and feelings make you happy. Yeah, it is because you belong in Morning Musume.

Do I really belong?

You don't think so?

Mmmmm... Certainly, this is a job that I wanted to do. I do belong. Although there are times I worry when I don’t think I belong.

But as a member, the responsibility of your role slowly becomes heavier.

That's true. Last year, about the time of “Namida ga Tomaranai Hokagou” I felt a giant wall for a long time. Especially related to singing. It was the first time I got a part that big to myself and I really felt the responsibility.

It was to give yourself a chance?

Yes. But, until the day of the photo jacket shooting, I never knew what it was to be like in the center. That's why I really felt the responsibility of being there. I worried about what to do. I also had the anticipation of using this experience to help me grow. I had to do my best, but that was not all... I thought even if it is difficult, I also had to have fun.  

Having fun is also part of the job too, huh?

I think so. I think the fans, of course, want to see me doing my best. Moreover, I don't want to show just the part of me that is doing my best. I also want to try to show that I'm having fun and show the good points of songs.

So, did you grow due to the song?

I think so. I think my feelings matured and that I was able to sing the part. But when I saw the impression I had when “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago” was on T.V, I was really serious and I went, “Ah!” (laughs)

You didn't have time to have fun?

I think I did have lots of fun and was very happy, but, still, I thought it was better to have more fun singing this song...Oops, what I wanted came out. (laughs)

But it became a fun memory?

I believe so. It was very tough, but I never felt that I had enough of this.

It wasn’t to the point where you wanted to run away?

Yes. Before, when it was tough, I thought, “No more.” But, this time, I didn’t feel like that, I had more confidence, I wanted to have more fun… My desire was much stronger.

Did you have too much ambition that it was painful?

Maybe (laughs). It was like painful, but fun. If it’s something like this I want to try even harder. If I do that, I think singing will become much more fun.

With that much conflict going on within you, you were magnificent from the very beginning.

Really? I’m often said that I’m timid and indecisive. I also feel a little that way too (laughs).

Really? I thought you were calm and composed even if you failed.

Ah, I’m happy to hear that. I had times where my goal was not to be timid and not to be indecisive. If you are able to see that, I’m happy. Hehe. But, I don’t think I’m the only one like that. Even people who seem full of confidence are not always confident...

Yes, a group of people full of confidence is a bit ironic.

Right. So, in order for me to not feel like I’m losing my confidence, I have to tell myself, firmly, to be confident.

But, if you do not have the confidence, you can’t do anything, huh.

If I don’t have confidence, it’s difficult for me to sing well no matter what. I cannot be timid standing on stage. So, even with “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago,” I had to have a lot of the confidence that should be there to sing it magnificently. Still, there was a time when I was nervous and tried too hard, my singing voice changed. Even now, I cannot forget that failure (sigh).  

Are you the type to hold onto your failures?

I do. More than hold on, but I’m the type that worries is it better to hold on? Or better not to hold on (laughs)?

But, while worrying, it might be a tough ordeal.

I feel that way too. I do things at my pace, so I like long distance running. And, probably, I also like driving things back and trying my best at my pace. I feel like I can’t do the win-lose, short distance running-like feelings. That’s why I like long distance and also, I’m good at individual contests. Yes, if it becomes a win-lose match I become like a lone wolf.

I see. You are more of the tactical thinking win-lose type than the short decisive type.

I hate to lose being the lone wolf (laughs). Normally, I’m a pampered child and if I’m going out to play and I’m not with my friends I get lonely… It’s like, I change if it’s only a win-lose situation. When I was in elementary school, since I was always chosen to be a runner for the relay race since 1st grade and in 4th grade, 5th grade I became a substitute. That was really painful. The next year, on days off, I would go by myself to the school grounds and practice. Usually, it would be something I definitely wouldn’t be able to do by myself. I don’t think that point has changed even now.

Ah, I understand. Earlier, you said that you were “slow.” But, it’s not that you are “slow,” you are a person who does things at a long-distanced running pace.

Haha, is it really like that? But, I really am slow (laughs).

Earlier, if you didn’t continue this job, you said you wanted to return to Hokkaido. If so, wouldn’t you be sad to be away from Tokyo?

As I thought, I still like Sapporo better. But I do like Tokyo more than before. I’ve become used to Tokyo. I have a lot of places I like to go to. I also have a lot of good memories.

Do you think the time that you will graduate from Morning Musume is ever going to come? If so, will you go back to Sapporo?

I wonder. I haven’t thought about it at all. Whether I go back or not, I think it’s something in the far, far future.

When do you think will be the time when you graduate?

Hmm, I still want to learn many things, to grow, and to experience a lot of things… If I become a person who is able to do things by oneself, I think I will be able to graduate.

If you are asked right now, “Will you graduate?”

I think it will a little troublesome. While I have a moment of confidence more than before and if somebody tells me, “You’re on your own from now on,” I suddenly feel like I become sluggish (laughs). But, isn’t everybody like that? Of course, I do have thoughts of wanting to try by myself. But, I’m still not at the stage where I can just say, “I want to try by myself.”

Do you feel like that is just one step away?

Maybe. There are things I want to do and things I have to do. The things I want to become are increasing. I will overcome each thing one by one and if I step up one, I think I will start to have the confidence to say, “I will grow more and become a person, who can do it by myself.” I want to try my best, so that time will come when I can say that.

Before “I want to do it by myself,” there is a stage of “I want to be able to say it.”

Yes. It’s like there is a middle stage. It’s one stage above another, but I still have to go through 2 more stages (laughs).  

Do want to continue doing this work forever?

Yes. As much as possible. There still are many things I want to do and want to become. But, I think it’s impossible to continue for a lifetime.

Is that so?

I think so. But just how old will I do this to? Will I stop after 10 years, 20 years, 30 years… It’s fun to imagine, but I can’t imagine it. I wonder if I will be married then.

If you do stop, I wonder when it will be. It won’t be because you don’t have the confidence to dance, so you will stop.

Yes, not because of that. I don’t know, but probably, it will be when I think, “Alright, I’ve done it to this far, it’s time to stop.” I think it will be a good at that time to get married (laughs).

But it’s like, I have this image of you continuing this work until you are a much older women.

I want to live as long as possible. I would be happy if I can live to 100 years old and I want to be able to remember all things I have done up to that point and to have a lot of memories. Ah, if I think about living to 100 years old, it is still a long time away.

If you do live to 100, I think you will a lot of memorable memories.

Yay~! <3

I want you to sing the song “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago” when you are 100.

Haha. As I get older, I want to show them old videos and say, “This is how it was when I was young.” No, I don’t want to show them the video (laughs).

Lastly, two questions from the community. First, from your point of view, what do you think of Tsunku?

A father. I feel like he is just a normal father. I ask him advice through mail and if I seem busy, he will as if I’m feeling ok. He always listens to my worries, but I wonder what some of his worries are? I want to see what is going on his head. That’s because doesn’t he have a lot to think about? He has to think about Morning Musume, the soloists, the music, and himself. If you think too much, doesn’t it seem like it will burst?

It does, doesn’t it?

Also, this is really normal, but what kind of food does he like and such?

I don’t know.

Even it’s been quite a few years since we have met, I still don’t know things, such as “Tsunku like mayonnaise”. It’s like there’s too many things I don’t know about him.

You don’t ask him?

When I meet him, I become nervous. If it becomes more natural like, “I’m sending a cell phone picture I took,” I think I will be able to ask him all kinds of questions.

During “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago,” did he give you any advice?

Hmm, I don’t think I talked to him that much.

In your case, I wonder if it made you think it’s good to think ahead by yourself.

I wonder. Actually, I was a little worried. During auditions, I told Tsunku that I wanted him to see me to try my best.

He recognized that gut and it became from fail to pass, huh.

I’m sure I did my best, but I think that doesn’t mean I grew. Right now, I don’t have the confidence to tell him, “I’m doing my best!! I have matured!” If I made him think, “I thought Konno tried harder,” I don’t know what to do. Recently, I’ve been thinking I’m getting lazy or not doing my best, perhaps, I’m worried if I’m keeping the promise that I will do my best. Ah, I wonder what he thinks. Hmm.

Well, then, the last question. What person is Morning Musume Konno Asami like right now?

It’s weird, but it might be a perfection principle. When I joined, I couldn’t sing or dance, but I did have a MC where I said, “It’s perfect!” For sure, if it’s not perfect, I don’t like it.

No matter what, you want to strive to perfection.

Yes. From when I was little, whether it was sports or school work, I never wanted a 98%. If there was trouble between friends, I wouldn’t want to get worse. I would think, “I don’t want it to end like this!” So probably, before joining Morning Musume, I was already thinking I was right.

Because you followed the perfection principle?

Yes. Even with things I couldn’t do, if I tried a little, it would go as I imagined. But, when I first joined Morning Musume, I hit a wall that was not so easily climbed over.

You’ve cleared everything else before that?

Yes, I felt that it was all perfect up until now, so I might have been angry and depressed.

You didn’t want to feel like, “If I can just do this ok, I can pass.”

I couldn’t forgive myself if it was like that. If there was just one thing you couldn’t do and think, “I can’t do this,” you become depressed. So, Morning Musume Konno Asami is a perfection principle. No, that’s a little wrong. It’s actually a perfectionist (laughs).

(2005.01.21)

Morning Musume My Best Song “Do it! Now”
 Listening to the intro, I would become excited.

I have too many songs I like, such as “Namida ga Tomaranai no Houkago” and personally, “Koing,” so I couldn’t decide. If it has to be one song then it’s this song. When I first heard this song I got excited, and while listening to the intro I would perk up. I also love the lyrics. It’s not only about love, but I also feel it’s singing a song about a life. It’s about having to take life one step at a time and it overlaps with what I think.

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
Thanks Fen!

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
"Like an exception, it was beyond anybody’s understanding. This result is, indeed, like Konno Asami."

thanks Fenrir!!
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »
Wahhh Konno was really hard on herself at times, it seems... Poor Konkon :O

Thanks again, Fenfen ^__^

Offline Shoko

• Member+
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 04:44:40 AM »
KONNO <33

Thank youuuuuuuuuu :D

Konno sounds kinda like me XP

Offline lilangel

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Thank you so much for doing this.

After reading the translations, it makes me like Takahashi and Konkon even more!

Jabronisaur

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 05:18:11 AM »
Thanl you so much for taking the time to translate these Fen! Your a true JPH!P hero.

Konkon sure came a long way.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Ogawa Makoto

A lively comedian while holding a dynamic double personality.

“When I joined Morning Musume, it was mistaken that I have cold and mature image,” and showed the kid bursting from inside. Certainly, the gap between the image and the real face is big!
 But, that dynamic dual personality might be Ogawa Makoto’s charm.
 If you think of her like a fascinating dance, she’ll display a lively comedian and make you laugh.
 Being that kind of girl, a dream that big can also be as deeply depressed. How troubling.

Birth Date: 1987.10.29
 Blood Type: O
 Birthplace: Niigata Prefecture
 Debut Song: “Mr. Moonlight –Ai no Big Band-“ (2001.10.31)

Yuko Nohji: Soon, it will be the time where 5th generation is “in the middle.”

Ogawa Makoto: Yeah. It’s surprising. As somebody graduates, it becomes faster going to the top. We already reached to being “in the middle.” Responsibility also becomes heavier.

It’s almost 4 years since you’ve joined Morning Musume. Was it long? Was it short?

It feels like, “Eh, it’s already 4 years?!” When comparing to before joining Morning Musume, each year feels like it really past by fast. Whenever it is the end of year, I get surprised and think, “It’s already been a year?!”

When you joined Morning Musume, what part of you do you think you changed the most?

When I joined Morning Musume, the first thing I noticed was that I got depressed easily.

Before that, you didn’t think so?

More like I never experienced being that depressed or being that hurt before and if it happened, it didn’t leave much of an impression.

Well then, since joining and up to now, you have been depressed a lot?

I was fairly depressed. About various things. First, towards dance, singing, and everything; the part of me that couldn’t do it was painful. When comparing with the older members, I was depressed that I couldn’t do it.

It was ok to just do your best until you passed the auditions, but when you joined, you didn’t know up to what point when doing your best was ok, huh.

Yes, I had times where I would worry about that. A lot of people said, “Do your best! Do your best,” but how do you do your best?

On how to do your best, did you figure it out within you?

Each day is different. In the end, you just keep repeating over and over the things you can’t do. Well, even if I think I can do it, I don’t know if that it was really ok or not. Anyways, this is true even now, but I just do things until I’m satisfied.

So your level of standard on how hard you try is decided by your satisfaction level.

Yes. I’m stubborn, so if somebody else says, “You are doing ok,” I wouldn’t think so and not give in, saying, “Not yet.” So, no matter what happens, if I don’t do it until I’m satisfied I would feel unfinished. I’m quite stubborn.

Your stubbornness hasn’t changed ever?

Yup, it hasn’t changed. Even if everybody says, “That’s definitely not going to work,” I would hate it if I didn’t try it at least once. I probably don’t listen to what other people say (laughs). Other say try to fix that kind of personality, but I can’t.

Have you ever been depressed to the point that it was a serious crisis?

That’s always happens (laughs). But I think the time that I sink has shrunk from before. I think I’m able to think positively step by step. Before, I would always be worried about one thing and always be depressed. Recently, when I’m worried, I’m able to think positively with effort. I would tell myself, “It’s ok, it’s ok.” I think I’ve matured in that part. Ehehe.

In the beginning, you had an image of an “honor student.” Now, when I hear that you actually get quite depressed and cry, it’s a little surprising.

Ah, certainly the image was like that. But, I’m really not an honor student.

I can see a cool side.

Yeah. But, at the time of the auditions, I was really nervous, so on T.V. I probably had a scary reflection. I think an aura of “It’s hard to get close to me,” came out. At that time, I didn’t want to lose, so even if it wasn’t possible, I would feel like, “I’ll do it!”

When it comes to a game, are you the type who puts out a lot of concentration?

Yes. I think that is one of my good points, but when I have to try my best and if I don’t have the self confidence, I tell myself that I can’t be hesitant. So, during my first vocal lessons, I tried to get as close as possible to the teacher. I felt like I was getting closer and closer. In reality, I didn’t have any confidence in singing.

So that’s what happened.

Even my parents said that I sucked at singing. So, when I’m at home, I didn’t want to sing in front of my parents. Before the auditions, when my older sister wasn’t home, I would sneak into her room and practice. Even now, I don’t really sing in front of my parents.

Even though you are a pro.

That’s because if my mom hears it, she would complain immediately (laughs). But we go to karaoke together. When practicing, I would practice in my room with the door locked.

It’s like the weaver of “The Grateful Crane.”

I don’t want to show a face that doesn’t have self confidence. That’s why during auditions, I think you were able to see a cool side. When I first joined, I hadn’t really talked with the other members, so I was really nervous and I probably had that kind of face still.

In other words, in the beginning you came with a strong force and after, there were many times you buried the actual gap with force?

Yes. That’s why in the previous book, Tsunku said that the impression he had when I joined was, “that, surprisingly, I can do anything well.” So when I read that, I thought, “I see.” Especially the “surprisingly” part.

Perhaps Tsunku also thought that you aren’t able to do it, but surprisingly you might be able to.

Probably. After I joined, I started to show my true self (laughs). Yeah, in lots of ways, I am “surprising.”

Then you joined and surprisingly got depressed easily (laughs).

Yes, yes. While looking at the “surprisingly, I can do anything,” I end up, surprisingly, not being able to do anything (laughs).

But, that’s a “making good on one’s promise” personality. Thinking that you can do it, you will definitely do it and its proof that you hate to lose.

Maybe. In a good way, when I think of “surprisingly, she can do XXX,” I’m happy. But if its “surprisingly she’s bad,” or with a bad meaning, then I don’t like it.

For example, if other thinks you are cool, have you felt the stress that you aren’t really that kind of person?

I don’t feel that way right now. But I have had times where I really didn’t like it if others thought I was cool or strong-minded. Recently, I’m not often seen like that (laughs).

Since the time that you joined until now, in what ways do you think Morning Musume has changed?

Backstage, I think it has gradually become friendlier. Yaguttsan have said, “It wasn’t like this before.” When I think about the time when 6th generation joined, I feel that the atmosphere where it was hard to talk to the older members disappeared.

Isn’t that because 6th generation didn’t connect to 5th generation as something like, “older member,” so that kind of atmosphere just naturally happened?

Maybe. Um, I don’t know, but maybe that’s what happened. When we just joined, we were nervous talking to the older members. So, when 6th generation joined, we talked about being older members that are easy to talk to. When we just joined, it might be exaggerating to say we didn’t have a place to be, but we couldn’t talk to the older members, so we just talked among ourselves. We just floated out there. And so, in order to talk to the 6th generation kids easier, we needed to become friends faster.

Well, then you guys soon became friends?

Yes. But while it is good to be friends, you have to beware of becoming too good of friends. I understand that is not a good thing, so from now I want to fix that a little.

When 6th generation joined, were you worried?

Of course I was worried and impatient. Plus, it was completely different from before. Miki also joined. That was surprising.

Fujimoto is like an older member, yet a younger member too.

Yes. Anyways, we debuted first, so we are older members, but Miki is older and she has been doing things solo, so there isn’t like anything she doesn’t know. I was really worried about what I can teach her.

When looking at 6th generation, did you remember when you guys first joined?

I said something like, “Just like us.” Even during lessons the new members were yelled at. When I saw that, I remembered that it was the same.

You also probably had the feeling that as older members you had to keep it together.

When I really thought about that was during last year’s musical. Until that musical, I felt that my character could stick to anybody above me. It was like a follower role (laughs). But, last year was 6th generation’s first musical and I felt that Kamei’s character was similar to mine with me being the older member. I thought I had to keep it together. It was Kamei’s first time and the only person to partner with her and teach the dance parts she didn’t know was me.  

You had to do try harder even more.

If I couldn’t do it, then I couldn’t teach it. I practiced fervently over and over even more than before, so that, if Kamei asked a question, I could teach her right away. I think I finally did something older member-like (laughs).  

Well, then when the next younger member joins, you will be at ease, right?

No, no. I think have to be more conscious. There isn’t a 7th generation member joining this time, but someday they will join. I’ll become an older member, so I have to keep it together.

Iida’s graduation is approaching and soon after that it will be Ishikawa’s graduation. Has the realization not hit yet?

Not at all. There still are 10 days until Iida’s graduation. But it is still the same as usual. The realization of, “Ah, it’s really her graduation,” will hit probably when it is the day of the graduation and as the live goes by. I always think to send them off and not cry, but I can’t. It’s sad.

How sad is it?

It’s not like I won’t ever see them again and we are together when we do a Hello! Project live, but it’s still a little different. I really miss them because we aren’t in the same group and we can’t be together everyday. I was originally a lonely person, so I can’t think that it won’t be sad.

Have you ever thought about your own graduation?

I can’t think of my own graduation yet. I can’t even imagine doing things by myself. But, I have thought in wanting to prepare my heart for it. When I am by myself, I want to have the self-confidence to do things properly and I need to start fostering that now. I sometimes think about that. That’s because when you are by yourself, there’s nobody to depend upon. So, I think that it’s impossible for me to graduate right now. If I do graduate, I definitely want to have the self-confidence.

But will it be like the time during auditions when you didn’t have self-confidence, but still said, “I have confidence?”

No. I want my graduation to be when I can say it from the heart that, “I can do it by myself.” If you said I’m graduating right now, I would be very worried. That’s because I still have a lot to learn in Morning Musume. I want to have more strength.

You’re pretty strict with yourself.

Really?

No matter how much you have grown, you are the type that still says, “Not yet,” right?

I wonder how that is? But I guess I do have that part. Even if I get praised that my dance is good, I will still say, “Not at all.”

See, it’s true.

But that can also maybe be said that I’m defiant (laughs). I’m happy when I’m praised. Happy, but definitely be in denial. Happy, but somehow embarrassed.

If you are praised, do you think, “Praise me when I’m much better than now?”

Ah, I do think that. If I’m praised I think, “Alright! Let’s do my best for the next thing!” So, maybe I want to be praised even more (laughs). But, I have had times where I thought I did my best today, but surprisingly, others would say, “Today wasn’t so good.” I seem to go in circles a lot. Um, it’s really different. I think about whatever what other people see and think.

That’s why you want to do it until you think it is good and satisfied?

Yes, that’s right. Praised or not praised. But, if I’m praised, I glow.

How charmingly naïve; even though it’s your 4th year.

Ahaha. I’m not used to be being praised, so it’s embarrassing.

Right now, you are doing a lot of things, so what are you the most confident in?

I don’t have any self-confidence in it, but I love dancing.

As I thought! Do you think you want to pursue dancing in the future?

I want to continue dancing. Any form. This is far into the future, but I want to be at a level where I can teach others how to dance. I want to open my own studio and become a person who is able to get that qualification. But I still have a ways to go. A long way to go.

Is that so?

Yes. I still don’t have self-confidence. I have the bad habit of comparing myself to others. I think it is good to see other people and think, “That way of dancing is good,” but then I start to oppose my dancing.

Something like, “If I can’t dance like that person, I’m no good?”

Yes. I have the bad habit wiping out my self-confidence and personality doing something like that. I want to fix that.

You really are too harsh on yourself.

Not harsh, but stupid (laughs).

Do you compare yourself to others even in Morning Musume?

Quite a bit. There’s 12 people, so there are a lot of people to compare to and the result is that my tension drops.

Self-destructing (laughs).

It happens often. I want to get rid of the bad habit of being jealous of other people. But it is also important to compare with others. You are able to copy the good points by watching other people dancing. Besides, it will be good if I have self-confidence in my own dancing.

Are you the happiest when your dancing is praised?

I think so. If there is a fan letter that said, “You’re dancing is cool,” I’m very happy. Occasionally, there are times where it says, “If it was just a little better here, I think it would be good.” I would think, “They also see that part. I see,” and learn from it. Reading letters like that is fun and I’m happy.

Do you treasure the fan letters?

Yes. The thing that makes me the most energetic, happy, and look forward to is fan letters. I’m really happy. I always read every single one. The more I read, the happier I feel. Therefore, I treasure and safe keep all the letters I receive. After all, there is nothing better than the fans’ happiness. I do my best for those people.

Not only singing and dancing, but you have done some plays and varieties… You have done quite a bit these past 3 and half years.

I wondered how. Was I able to do them well? But I was able to challenge many things and I think I’ve become used to it more than from the very beginning.

Now, you are able to appear normally on T.V. and do funny skits (laughs).

Ahaha, they are funny skits, huh. The skits are really fun. Even though it may seem I’m not nervous when doing the skits, actually I’m super nervous. My heart is always pounding right before doing it. But I think the people who are watching only see the fun part.

Not at all. We also see the seriousness too. But while watching that you also make us roar with laughter (laughs).

Right before the actual filming, I check each part one by one thinking, “I wonder if it will be ok like this here.” I’m really nervous. If I mess up my line, it can be funny, but can become not so funny. I know my heart is really pounding. I fight with myself. That’s just one battlefield.

You really are a professional.

But if I was a normal person and saw that, I would pointedly think, “No, that’s bad.”

Ahaha. But it’s also the work of a pro to be serious.

Something like, “This face is really bad” (laughs). When filming that part of the fun can’t be helped. But after recording and watching from an audience’s point of view, I would think, “This is normally bad.” I wonder if it is ok to broadcast this.

Ahaha. But that’s the part we love about you!

I sometimes think I’ve thrown away the idol part (laughs). Recently, even in skits, I can’t seem to play a cute role.

Do you become stressed because of that?

I feel more pressured than stressed. I reflect upon it a lot every time. I always think about how I do better next time. But I’m happy. I’m able to a lot of crazy things up to now because, probably, people trust that leaving things to me will be ok. I’ve come to feel that I need to do my best to live up to those expectations.

It’s interesting because you don’t know when you will encounter that chance, huh.

Yes. I have found one part of myself in skits (laughs).

Have you had a time where you felt, “This is my chance!” during new songs or during lives?

I think there were a lot of times. But I don’t know it at that moment. It always like, “Maybe that might be my chance.” I realize it pretty late. If it really is, then at that time of realizing it, I have to do my best in order to make the most of that chance. I always realize it after, so I think, “I’ve should have tried harder.” I feel like I’ve wasted that chance.

For example, what about in a song?

There’s a lot. For example, in the very first song, “Mr. Moonlight ~Ai no Big Band~,” I was playing the partner of Yoshizawa. I didn’t think I would have a chance then, so I just desperately did my best.

A great amount?

I did. During dance lessons, I got yelled at. During the song, I would just be next to Yoshizawa and get nervous. I was being too cool (laughs). Therefore, I have reflected a lot on the point of, “If I done it that way instead.” I always think of that. I always realize it late. Even if I don’t notice it, it might become a big chance, so I always put in all my effort.

So, it’s been strenuous three and half years up to now. What do you think will happen in the next 3 and half years?

3 years later I’ll be 20! Indeed, I want to be more mature (laughs). But, I don’t think I will really fundamentally change. It would be nice if I become a mature, pretty woman. I really admire Nakazawa. I have an image of a woman holding a strong will. Nakazawa said this, but it’s much more fun now than before joining Morning Musume. Actually, if I look at Nakazawa right now, I think she’s shining brightly. I want to become an adult like that.

Do you think you will still be in Morning Musume when you turn 20?

I wonder. But Yaguttsan is already 22 years old and she’s leading a very cool Morning Musume. It’ll be great if I can become like that. But whether I’m in Morning Musume or not, I think it would be nice to become a cool person that everybody can admire.

Have you tried doing new things?

I have. I have originally wanted to pursue the musical [theater-type] world. I want to try doing a variety of things. I even want to study abroad.

Ohhh.

I want to try living abroad. Even if it’s a short time.

Why?

I wonder how it will be, living in a different country and not using anybody else’s help. I think it will be hard, but I feel it would change how you look at life…

It might be impossible if you are homesick like when you came from Niigata to Tokyo (laughs).  

But, that talk was when I just debuted, so now…umm, it might still be impossible. I still become lonely even now (laughs). I want to try to experience it sometime in the future.

Lastly, two questions from the community. First, what kind of person is Tsunku from your point of view?

I love him!

Even when he is strict?

He doesn’t get mad often. Which ever way you look at it, he gives praises more. He’s a person who finds a good point and praises it. He mails after a live and I’m really happy to receive those compliments.

What has he praised recently?

He praised me about the last Hello! Project live. I think he says something nice to everybody, but he really is like a father. He also talks about his memories when he was in junior high school. Even in singing, where there is something I don’t understand, he would teach me immediately. He said, “It’s ok to tell me anything,” and if I mail him, he would definitely send mail back, even though he is supposed so busy that he doesn’t even have time to sleep.

For example, what kind of mail do you send?

During New Years, when I went back home, I sent him a picture of the snow. But it was just a white screen (laughs).

One last question. What kind of person is “Morning Musume Ogawa Makoto?” It’s the same question from last time, but please answer with what you think now.

Umm, surprisingly, I’m a person who just enters my own world. I listen to music with a force that is like I’m the main character of the song (laughs). That’s why it’s embarrassing when somebody sees me listening to music.

You enter that far, huh (laughs).

While listening with my headphones, without noticing, I start mumbling. Occasionally, when somebody hears it, they laugh, “Are you talking to yourself?” I feel like the main character of this song is M.E. and get immersed.

Even when you watch dramas?

Songs more than dramas. When I listen to a sad song, I become so sad that I feel like crying. I get drunk with it. Therefore, when I suddenly return, it’s really embarrassing. Well, when you are listening to your favorite song, everybody becomes like that, right?

(2005.01.21)

Morning Musume My Best Song: “Ai Araba It’s All Right”
 It’s a touching song

When we sing this song, a smile comes naturally. When I listen to the lyrics I think Tsunku is really amazing. I wonder how he knows how a woman feels. I especially like the 2nd verse, like “The tears keep flowing when the worries don’t disappear,” and “Straining words will bring in mistakes.” It’s like, “I understand! I understand!” and I’m moved by the song. I also like the PV.

Offline mr.niigaki

• is a female.
  • Member+
  • remember the noisy girls
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
Thanks again for translations. I loved reading about Konkon and Mako!

I was amused by Mako's comment about Tsunku for the Best Song. It just makes me laugh.

"I wonder how he knows how a woman feels."

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 02:44:14 AM »
^ Hmmm wonder why >__>
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Hibi Go Go