JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chemistry - Almost In Love

Author Topic: MM x Tsunku 2 Translations  (Read 28640 times)

Offline Demanding More Makoto

• ecchi
  • Member+
MM x Tsunku 2 Translations
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Wow I thought Konkon was tough on herself. But Makoto was even tougher on herself than Konkon.
Thanks for the translation Fenrir. They all have been really interesting so far
W.H.O.A member
Demanding More Makoto mistress and head of Makoto branch
:heart:  Everytime someone is mean about Makoto and Kei I love them a little bit more:heart:

HELLO! Otaku Academy Member of the World-wide HELLO! Otaku Academy

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Kamei Eri

Her second dream is “I want to change.”

Her bold, shocking short hair announcement came at Iida Kaori’s graduation live.  
 While Morning Musume is in the process of changing, something is changing in Kamei Eri.
 When she joined, you can see a quiet, shy, “Tokyo sheltered” girl.
 When her dream of being in Morning Musume was granted, she didn’t like herself being like that.
 But, now, it seems her 2nd dream of “I want to change” is coming true….

Birthday: 1988.12.23
 Blood Type: AB
 Birthplace: Tokyo
 Debut Song: “Shabondama” (2003.7.30)
 Stage Debut: Saitama Super Arena (2003.5.4)

Yuko Nohji: Do you remember your feelings the moment when you won the audition?

Kamei Eri: I think it was, “My dream came true!”

Did you admire singers?

Yes. Since long ago, whenever I see a person singing or dancing on T.V., I get jealous. I wanted to be like that.

Well then, when you won, you were really happy then.

I didn’t know what’s what (laughs). When we were told, “You passed,” we were always tense. And, then, Sayu said, “Ah,” and smiled, but Reina and I sat there. Later, when watching it on T.V., I really had a serious face at that moment.

Why were you so serious?

I’m sure I was thinking a lot of things. Something like, “From now on, will I really be on T.V. dancing and singing?”  More than what was going on in reality, things in my mind were unfolding…

When did your actually feelings come in?

When everybody said, “Let’s call our moms.” At that time, my mom said, “Congratulations.” That’s when I first thought, “Ah, I passed.”  

You have been together with Michishige and Tanaka since the auditions, huh.

We first were able to properly chat with each other when it was the end of our time at the training camp. I thought those two would surely pass.

Did they shine?

Yes. I’m a person who thinks negatively, so I thought, “What will I do if those two pass?” In the beginning, I had feelings of “I definitely will pass,” but during the lessons, I started to worry more and more. I think I’m like this more than anybody else.

Did you imagine the worst result?

Even in the 3rd round, I was always worried if I failed or was not among the top 5 people.

But, when you joined, you said that you definitely would not lose in dancing.

Of course, I like singing too, but since 6th grade, I did classic ballet for 8 years. Even after that, I wanted to learn other cool dances besides classical and I started learning jazz dance. Therefore, as a person who has always been learning dance, I didn’t want to lose.

Do you still hold that feeling when you dance even up to now?

At first, I “didn’t want to lose,” but now, it’s more important to have fun dancing with everybody. I want to be the top among them, but it is the most fun when I’m having fun dancing with everybody else. More than just “Dance! Dance!,” I want to be able to dance like the dancers I see on T.V., who I think are cool.  

Your first job as Morning Musume was the all nation handshake event.

Yes. I was really happy and touched. The older members weren’t there, so it was an event with just the 3 of us in 6th generation. Just for us, all those people gathered… That always has touched me.

Did you think “I’m going to do my best” from now on?

Yes. When handshaking, they say a few words and I was really happy.

So you were with the older members of Morning Musume after that?

Our first job was when we were shooting the jacket for Sakura-gumi and Otome-gumi. At that time it was really “bad”.

Were you nervous? Excited?

Surprised. To the left, there was Yaguchi, to the right, there was Yoshizawa. It was like, “Wah, is it really them? It really is them!”

Even though you were a member of Morning Musume.

Yeah, it’s like that. I really couldn’t believe it. That’s because I’m part of the world that I watched on T.V. up to now… I thought it was amazing. I was really nervous.

When did you really start to think that you were “a member?”

When did I… I did have a moment when I realized that it was natural of me being in Morning Musume. Around that time, I was talking to the older members normally and even telling jokes. I was really happy when the feeling of I didn’t belong was gone, even though I was there.

Was it because you were in the Morning Musume world that you saw on T.V.?

Yes. When I watched them on T.V., I often heard and it’s said that Morning Musume is like a family and I wanted to believe that.

When you became a member, was it different from what you imagined?

As I thought, it is a harsh world. When watching on T.V. all you can see is them having fun singing and having fun talking, but just for one show, there are dance lessons and there are various versions for just one song. In that sense, you don’t know everything just by watching. Actually, I was surprised how hard it is.

Since you thought it would be more fun, have you thought of not liking it?

More than not liking it, I was worried if I was able to do it. But, gradually, I have come to understand that if I do my best this way, people watching on T.V. can have fun. Even when thinking that it will be hard, my feelings suddenly change, to “I’ll do it,” and “If it is us, we can do it,” and I think that I’ve become stronger.

Well, what have you been happy about since you joined?

That I have changed.

How?

When I joined Morning Musume, I said I wanted to be impressive. In school, there are kids who can’t do speeches. There are kids who aren’t able to raise their hand. I was a kid like that. But, Morning Musume is really cool and impressive. Therefore, if I’m able to be impressive, I thought it would be more fun. So, now, I’ve become a person who can say “Good morning!” energetically, and naturally. It’s surprising.

You were also poor at greetings.

When I joined, my greetings were in a quite voice, like “Good… morning.” So it’s always said that I have a quiet voice. Every time somebody says it, I would be gloomy. But, I thought I couldn’t become depressed by it. In order for them not to say that, I had to change. So, somehow, naturally, I became stronger. Now, I can greet normally and energetically. I am most happy about that.  

Compared with two years ago, which part of you do you think grew the most?

I think it’s remembering the dance faster. In the beginning, I was really slow remembering.

Even though that is your forte?

When I was learning dance, even though I remembered it fast, actually, there would be a lot of mistakes when I was dancing the vague parts. But, since I joined Morning Musume, there are parts where I dance with the others, so I have to remember it piece by piece. In the beginning, I desperately followed the older members, but now, I think I have become faster.

When watching the dance, is there an older member who does an example?

I always watch Takahashi and Yaguttsan. Ai’s dance is really pretty and each part is perfect. That part is amazing. Then, Yaguttsan is energetic. The most energetic. Therefore, when I’m behind Yaguttsan, in order not to lose, I want to dance energetically. I think it is fun dancing energetically.

What about singing?

During lessons, I can do it if I’m singing in front of the teacher. There are many times I can’t do it when it’s the real crucial moment.

Because you are nervous?

Probably. I’m nervous and I can feel the pressure of singing. In the beginning, I worried quite a lot. But, recently, during singing lessons, the teacher would say, “You’ve come to like singing a lot, huh?” When I ask why, the teacher replies, “Because you seem to have fun even though it’s only practice.” (laughs). I’m happy about that.

So in the end, when you are able to do it, you are having fun?

Yes, it’s fun. I’ve come to understand when I’m able to sing and dance, I’m having lots of fun and it feels great.

If you are able to do it, do you have a fun personality?

Hehehe, yeah. But, I was different back then. I was the type that would say “It’s ok if I can’t do this,” before I can do it. I would say, “No more,” and quickly give up. But, now, I think if I give up, I lose. That’s a part of me that greatly changed.

When you just joined, you said something like, “I still haven’t shown the real me.”

I did. But, recently, I’ve been said, “You are gross.” In the beginning, that wasn’t said.

Hmm, gross?

In the beginning, I didn’t want others to think I’m a “weird girl,” so I made sure I did and said various things properly. Now, when I do things normally, Yaguttsan would say something like, “Kamei, that’s gross!” Then some reason, I start laughing by myself.

That…might be because it’s gross.

But, even though they say that, it’s fun. That might be because I’m weird, huh, (laughs). I’m happy when I think I’ve become used to it. In the beginning, I was nervous and I felt I was being a hypocrite.

Since you stopped, it’s gross.

Ahaha. That might be true. It seems that there’s a difference of laughter between other people and I. When I watch a lot of people steadily doing something, I want to dash out by myself. That’s what everybody says it’s gross. Probably, right now, I’m using every part of myself to zoom out.

Each of the 6th generation has a unique individuality.

Really? No, the other two are interesting.

That’s what the other two exactly said.

Is that weird? It’s been said that’s weird. But, I think that is normal, so I don’t think we need to fix it.

Do you have a sense that they are rivals?

Yeah, I do. Especially in the beginning when the 3 of us were doing events together, it was strong. When the 3 of us are dancing, it feels like it became “I’m aiming to be the top.” It feels like we are always compared with each other by our surroundings.

Did you get along with the older members fast?

Well, Iida and the others were already adults. At first, we didn’t talk to each other at all. It was like a great mature aura emitting. Recently, I’m able to talk to them normally, but before, when I sit next to them, their aura is so great, I just go “Wahh~” (laughs).

What do you call Iida by?

Iida-san. Sometimes she says, “It’s ok to call me Kaorin,” but I can’t call her by that.

What about Yoshizawa?

Yoshizawa-san. Before, when I called her “Hitomi-chan” jokingly, she said, “It’s ok to call me Hitomi. I have never been called by my first name,” so I replied, “Well, I’ll call you by that then.” However, in my head, I thought, “I definitely can’t call her by that!” But someday it’ll be good to call them by that. When you start changing to call them by their nickname instead of adding a “-san” at the end, you feel that you are really close and you feel happy.  

So in the beginning, you felt close to the 5th generation members, huh.

Yeah. I got along with them really fast. Gaki is the same age as me. It’s easy to talk to them.

Did you have the chance to become closer with the older members when doing activities as Sakura-gumi?

Yes. I was the only 6th generation in Sakura-gumi. At first, since it was just older members around, I was really lonely, but on the other hand, because I was by myself, I learned a lot of things from them. I learned a lot for Abe, so we got along.

What are some things that you learned that are useful?

For example, the way to learn the rhythm. I was the only one to be called clumsy, but I didn’t know how to improve. So then, Abe stood next to me and did the rhythm parts together with me. So I watched and copied, and little by little, I was able to do it.

But, when you heard that you guys were going to be split into Sakura-gumi and Otome-gumi, were you shocked?

I was surprised. At first, before the jacket picture shooting, the 3 of us did the fitting for the costume. And then, I wondered why I had a different costume than them. Afterwards, when I was told that I was going to be separated from them, I said, “Eh?! What’s going on?” I thought that us separating meant not being in “Morning Musume.”

So that’s what you thought and you just joined Morning Musume.

Yes. But, we did Morning Musume activities together, so I was confused. So when I heard it was to be Sakura-gumi and Otome-gumi, I was all happy.

Since you became 6th generation, there have been a number of graduations. When a graduation happens, do you feel that the group has
changed?

I wonder if it has. I don’t know, but I haven’t changed. Ah, but, when Non and Aibon graduated, I’m sure something changed.

When one graduates, does the responsibility become heavier?

Yeah. When I see them graduate, I feel like I have to try harder. When there are a lot of great influencing members graduating, there is pressure. There are also the thoughts of “this is my chance.”

Right.

Even if they graduate, they won’t change as being older members. I still get advice and I want to show them that I’m doing my best.

Iida will be graduating soon.

It’s coming up. We finally just started talking recently, it’s really sad. She is like an older sister or a mother.

And in spring, Ishikawa is also graduating.

Ishikawa was the first to call me “Eri”. Usually, I’m called Kamei-chan, but she asked, “What shall I call you by that you will be happy with?” When I replied, “It doesn’t matter, I’m happy if you call me.” So she replied, “Well, then, I’ll call you by Eri.” Sayu and I call her “Onee-chan [older sister].” But, she is graduating soon. I still can’t believe it.

The older sisters are graduating, so the 5th and 6th generations are finally becoming the center of things.

I wonder what will happen. I think I’ll be ok.

I wonder if you will be ok…

I am worried. Up to now, I would go ask Iida and Ishikawa for things I don’t know. With those older members graduating, I want them to be able say, “Kamei, recently, you have been working hard,” but… hmm, I’m worried. But, I think Iida and Ishikawa are probably more worried. About myself right now. Therefore, I want them not to worry.

From the Morning Musume now, what kind of role do you want to be?

Eh, the “energetic good girl.” Recently, I have been told that I seem funny, happy and energetic.  I’m really happy about that. Therefore, if I can be Morning Musume’s energetic and good girl, that would be the best.

That’s because you yearn for an energetic Morning Musume.

Yes. Bright, happy, and energetic!

Kamei, were you an energetic kid?

I am, but I hardly let it show.

Right. That’s why, when you joined, I thought you were most like a well-mannered daughter.

You thought so?

Yup.

Other people said the same thing earlier. I’m surprised that people see me that way.

It’s like you are the person who plays the piano at home.

Yeah, a lot of people said that. They say that classical music fits me. But, really, I’m nothing like that at all. Whatever said, I have boyish personality. Therefore, I wanted to say, “I’m really different,” but at that time, I couldn’t say it. I wonder if I haven’t shown myself yet.

I can see a bi-polar personality.

I wonder why. But, it must be something that I show to make others think that. What do you think right now?

Something completely different. I was mistaken (laughs).

I wonder if I should be happy about that (laughs).

Have you ever thought about when you might be graduating?

Yes. Probably… the time when I’m able to graduate will come. The other day I was talking a little about it with Ishikawa. When I asked her, “Are you happy that you are graduating?” she replied, “Since I have been doing Morning Musume up to now, I will be sad. However, it may be sad, but I’m happy to be able to graduate from Morning Musume. In graduating, I will be able to become more mature.” We talked about things like that. And then, someday, I want to be a person who is able to appreciate a graduation.

I wonder when that will be?

Not yet, not yet. Right now, I still have lot of things I want to do in Morning Musume. I still have to train myself more.

Have you ever thought of “quitting?”

Yes. But that was when I just joined. It was during at time when I couldn’t keep up with the dance and things and it was painful.

You said something like this previously; if you can’t do it, then you will stop.

Yes. It was really painful. And the Eri then was still kid. When I go to school, I thought, “Why is everybody having fun and laughing?”

When you joined Morning Musume, you got jealous of the everyday life.

Yes. Because I had to do lots of things starting then. It was really a kid’s way of thinking. But, my dream came true. I’m doing something that not everybody can do, so I didn’t think to boast. I gradually come to realize that I couldn’t let it end with “I can’t do it,” with the things I couldn’t do.

In doing all kinds of work, what do you think is the most fun?

The concerts are the most fun. I still can’t believe it, even now. About me, on stage singing. It really is like a dream. It’s somehow strange. Just once, I want to see myself on stage as Morning Musume through the audiences’ eyes.  

At the New Year Hello! Project live, you seemed to sing Abe’s “Koi no Telephone Goal” joyfully.

Fufu, I was happy. I wanted to let everyone know my voice. But, before going on stage, I was quite nervous. I was thinking, “This is bad!” all the time. But, when I started, the nervousness changed to fun. I thought that I really do like lives.

You sure grew up during the 2 years.

But, just like that it’s been 2 years.

And new members will be joining soon.

This time, those joining would be the 7th generation. If it was now and if the younger members join and asked questions, I have worries that I wonder if I would be able to answer them well. As I thought, I still don’t have the self-confidence of an older member… But, when the 7th generation members join, I will be able to grow then.

Well then, you need to grow more until the 7th generation joins.

Yes. Even Iida said that this time is a big chance. I really take those words seriously. In other words, just because the younger members haven’t joined, doesn’t mean that it’s ok to take it easy still. It’s our chance to try even more.  

For example, you wonder what kind of person you will be 5 years from now?

Um, 21 years old? I still want to sing. I still would want to sing in Morning Musume, but I also want to try my best doing other things.

What about marriage and retirement?

Ah, I want to get married.

Is that so?

The last point in life is marriage, right… Is it marriage?

It’s not like that! You get married and other hardships start.

Ah, my mother said the same thing (laughs).

Ahaha. Are you the type that if you get married, your way of life is thrown all in pitch?

I think so probably. I don’t think I’ll be able to do both together. If getting married is happiness, I’ll take that. But, if I still have a lot of things I want to do, then work is more important than marriage. Hmm, I don’t know if it will ever be that time. Right now, I still have lots things I want to do.

Speaking of which, it’s said when you become the oldest member, “Even if Kamei was just standing next to someone, her mature aura coming out is scary.”

Ehh, Can I become a person like that?

Even if you say, “It’s ok to call me Eririn,” a new member might think that they definitely can’t call you that.

Ahahaha~. It might be like that! If it does, I’ll probably remember today’s event nostalgically (laughs).

Lastly, two questions from the community. First, for you, what kind of person is Tsunku?

Iida and Yaguttsan say he is like a father, but for me, it would be nice when the day comes when I think him like a father. Right now, he is an older person I admire? Teacher? Something like that. I have an image of him as a great person and I still have a lot to learn from him. Even when we meet to do a recording, I can’t help but be nervous, but Tsunku is extremely friendly. There’s a unique atmosphere. I can’t have a normal conversation with him.

Get pressured from his aura?

Yes. I’m weak among bright, shining people (laughs). I get nervous and my tension goes up. I’m weak against that kind of pressure.

You get nervous even now?

Yes. But, he emails after a concert. He’s very kind.

What part does he praise?

Before, he would email saying my dancing is good. I would be extremely happy and mail it to my mom to see. “It’s Tsunku!!! That’s Tsunku!!!” (laughs). At that time I was still a kid.  

In the beginning, Tsunku said that you had a good “stubborn spirit”.

I did let out that kind of stubbornness. I had a feeling that Tsunku was able to see it many times.

Well then, the next question. What kind of person is Morning Musume’s Kamei Eri?

I wonder. If it’s one word… a strange person? I’m often said that.

Do you think so too?

I don’t.

Then what kind of person do you think you are?

An honor student.

That you can do anything?

No. I don’t have good records, but more than an honor student, a type that grinds on?

Um?

I give it my all doing things. It’s just my test scores are bad…

But you do your best?

Yes. But to be able to do things it takes up time. A lot of time. Even so, when I decide to do it, I do it no matter what. Therefore, when I can’t do it, it’s really painful.

Little by little, I start to understand.

Like an idiot who grinds on.

(2005.01.14)

Morning Musume. My Best Song “Ii Koto Aru Kinen no Shunkan” (4th Ikimasshoi!)
 I love the lyrics.

Before I joined Morning Musume, I always sang this song at karaoke. I love the lyrics. For a person who thinks negatively, like me, the lyrics encourage the heart. I also like the melody. In the beginning, I’m a person who didn’t buy the albums, but when I heard this song was on the album, I thought “Albums also have good songs.” I also want to try to sing this at a concert too.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »
Thanks a bunch for that fenrir. Sweet that she (Eri) thinks just as highly about her dancing as I do. Keep the translations up. It's appriciated.
[/url]

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:50 AM »
I like the tempo you post these, if these were all posted at once I'd only read my fave members' parts, but now I read all :D
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
^^ Yeah, I'm trying to pace myself. So I won't have a giant break between one and the other. :D

I'm glad you are reading all of them. I'm learning a lot about members I don't usually pay attention to that much as I translate them :) So I hope you guys will read about members you don't pay much attention to too because some of them are fascinating and crazy, like Sayumi's. XD Her's will be an interesting read, once I finish it... Well at least I think so. :lol:

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 10:02:20 AM »
Love Kamei's part to bits.

Down to earth but strange personality :heart: love her character

Edit: May i ask do you have scans for the book? Would it be fine to share?

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 08:01:43 PM »
"Like an idiot who grinds on."

hehe poor girl xD
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »
ferrar1: Check here for scans http://forum.jphip.com/showthread.php?t=56

Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Michishige Sayumi

Shooting off a strong beam, she's the “cute seeker.”  

A bunny is cute. However, it is really a strong field animal.  
 Michishige Sayumi's “Usa-chan Peace!” is really cute, but it's the strongest weapon shooting off a strong beam.
 If you are hit by that beam just once, you are unable to look away from Sayu's eyes.
 The ultimate “cute seeker” in Morning Musume, she is thoroughly strict with herself.
 Aiming to be the cutest girl, she strives for the scholar athlete and boldly continues walking up that steep road.

Birthday: 1989.7.13
 Blood Type: A
 Birthplace: Yamaguchi Prefecture
 Debut Song: Shabondama (2003.7.30)

Yuko Nohji: Last week, at Yokohama Arena, Iida's graduation live ended without any problems!

Michishige Sayumi: After Iida graduated, I remembered a lot of different things... How I made her really angry and how cute she is. Recently, we finally are able to tease each other. When I said I won't be sad, actually, I'm sad. A little lonely.

During the live, you were the first to give a message and you were crying a lot.

Even though I decided to do it with a smile! But I couldn't smile at all. And Iida was the same, trying not to cry. When I saw that face, I couldn't handle it. When I was greeting Iida, everybody was saying in unison, “Hold it back! Hold it back!” But the tears welled up in my eyes. But at that moment, Iida looked like a princess and was really pretty <3. I was jealous.

Whenever somebody graduates, does the atmosphere in Morning Musume change?

I don’t feel that there is a big change. But, when Tsuji and Kago graduated, I felt that it got quieter backstage.

Ahahaha. But it was sad that Tsuji and Kago graduated too, right?

Yes. But, the atmosphere of that graduation ceremony was a little different from usual. It was an energetic ceremony. It was sad, but I remember thinking, “I think I can do my best thanks to them.” It’s like, it was always like Tsuji’s and Kago’s atmosphere and the graduation was like come and go. Because it was like that, I felt at ease. That’s how my feelings came to be.

As the number of people gets smaller, does the responsibility grow heavier on the younger members?

I feel more pressure than responsibility. When Ishikawa graduates in the spring, aside from the leader and sub-leader, it will only be 5th and 6th generations. I have to hurry and catch up with the older members and the 7th generation will be joining. When that happens, we’ll be the “older members.” The 5th generation members also said that the other day.

When you become the older member, there will be a lot of things you will have to teach.

And I don’t want to be passed.

It will soon be the 3rd year for 6th generation.

It was fast. I can’t believe it’s already our 3rd year.

When you look at Kamei and Tanaka, do you think you guys have matured?

Um, I don’t know. But those two have become really cute.

Who is the most calm?

I wonder…Anyways, Eri is the oldest, but everybody is about the same. But, it seems that Eri thinks, “I’m the oldest, so I have to keep it together.” Reina is also usually calm and steady. It’s a good balance. But when I’m with those two, it’s really fun. Our characters are completely different.

Do you feel that Fujimoto is in the “same generation?”

No, an older member. She’s been doing solo all this time. When I heard that Fujimoto will be joining Morning Musume, I was really surprised. I first read about it in the newspaper. It was when we just finished our training camp and before who passed, so I thought it was because we weren’t good enough. I was depressed at that moment. But I like Fujimoto when she was on T.V., so I was also happy. It was a strange feeling.

Even though she’s an older member, did you guys do lessons together as 6th generation?

Yes. But even when she is doing the same thing as us, she can do it perfectly. When I see that I feel that we have to do our best too. Therefore, I don’t feel that we are the “same generation.” When the manager yells for the 3 of us, “6th generation,” Fujimoto will often say, “I’m also 6th generation, so let me in too.” When I hear that, I’m always happy that Fujimoto also thinks of herself as “6th generation.”

You guys don’t fight?

No, we don’t. But I hear that 5th generation often fight. It’s probably because there are only 3 of us, so I’m glad. If it was like 5th generation with 4 people, it’s easy to divide into two versus two and fight (laughs).

It feels like that you guys would fight, though. It’s because each of you seem hardheaded.

No, no. It’s not like that. We are all good friends, but we also look out for each other when needed. It’s a good feeling. Like a good rival. Fufufu.

Comparing from when you first joined to now, you’ve matured quite a bit.

Really?

You don’t think so?

Um, when I compare myself from the beginning, I have grown. When I first joined it was really like out of this world. First, it was difficult to remember all the songs that were done up until then. I couldn’t remember the dances at all. Even though I felt that I had to do it, I lost my concentration…

You liked dancing, right?

I learned aerobics, but it’s completely different. I felt that I was completely lacking experience in singing, dancing, and everything else. Even though Eri and Reina were able to do it, there was many times where I couldn’t do it at all… I’m not impatient like I was around then.

How was your first live (May 2003) as an official Morning Musume member after 5 months later from joining?

We only did the last song, “Do it! Now.” Even though it was only 1 song, I did my very best.

Were you really nervous?

I was super nervous. Even a simple greeting like, “I’m 6th generation member, Michishige Sayumi,” wouldn’t come out. Although I was standing I stage, I felt like I didn’t know where I went. It was like, “This is bad! This is bad! Come back, myself!!”

It’s like your spirit left your body (laughs).

Yeah. It’s like I went to heaven at that moment. And then, somehow, I came back and was able to do the greeting finally. I was that super nervous.

You didn’t have time to look at the audience?

Not at all. It was the first time that I was in front of that many people. It took everything to just stand. But the older members always sing 10 or more songs for each live and I thought that was amazing. I knew I had to be able to do that the next time, but I was worried if I was really able to do it.

Even though everybody thinks like that in the beginning, there isn’t anybody who can’t do it and gets depressed. It’s amazing that everybody can do it.

Yes. In the beginning I thought that it would be impossible! While trying, I thought that if Eri and Reina can do it, then I can do it too. Somehow it will happen. When I can’t do it, there are older members around to teach me. We encouraged each other in the same generation. I think that is why I was able to do my best.

Was that most painful time since joining Morning Musume?

Yeah. That time was painful, but it was more painful during Otome-gumi and Sakura-gumi. Being split into 2 groups and there was less people, so there was more responsibility and pressure. It was tough. Moreover, it was really tough during “Shabondama.”

In what ways?

At the time of that song, it was like, “No way,” but I got my first solo part. That was quite a “mountain.” Now, it feels like it was just only one word, but at that time, I couldn’t even do just that. I really tried my hardest and practiced a lot.

You wanted to become better?

No, that was a problem from way before. I couldn’t keep the interval and had no rhythm. I knew I couldn’t do it at all and on top of that, the older members also said the same thing… how should I say it… a loud voice didn’t come out… Even encouragements were useless. When I got yelled at, I refrained from crying, but I cried when I was encouraged. Do you understand that feeling?

It’s like when you fill a cup with water, the surface tension is barely at its limit?

Yes, like that. I endured not having my voice coming out and think, “I can’t talk right now.” The older members said with care, “If you try, you will be ok,” but when they said that to me, the part of me that was enduring it just flooded. While thinking “I’m thankful, but please don’t talk to me,” I said something like, “Thank you.”

It’s like you only imagine that and are about to cry.

I’m happy that I get encouragements, but I really don’t want to cry.

Well then, when you are finally able to do it, you are happy, right?

Iida scolded me many times, “If you can’t do it, practice more.” When I think, “Did I do it?” Iida will say, “You did it!” I’m really happy at that time. I feel like I’m about to cry again (laughs). I’m glad I tried so hard.

Which older member are you influenced by in singing and dancing?

If it’s singing and dancing, it’s Takahashi Ai. Ai’s dancing is really cool. It’s pretty and perfect. When I just watch, I want my dance to become perfect because mine is not perfect (laughs). And for expressions and feelings, it’s Ishikawa. It’s amazing!

What parts?

She is naturally cute and energetic. In Ecomoni, during the dubbing of “Ecohams,” she created the “world” with just the expression in her voice. When it’s a sad moment, she creates a sad atmosphere with only her voice. It would be great if I could do that.

When you go to karaoke to sing not as a professional, you don’t often sing with expression?

Yes. I just sing to sing well. Therefore, I understood Ishikawa’s greatness again when I joined Morning Musume. Her monologue in “The Peace!” was really cute and in “Shabondama,” it was like a demanding feeling. Because of that gap, I want to copy the ability to create the song's atmosphere.  

So, you have the thought of putting expression in more than before?

Even the vocal teacher says it’s important to sing with emotion. That’s why I always sing while thinking about the meaning of the lyrics. When I see recordings on T.V., I have thought many times that I wasn’t able to do it. I have to keep trying and trying until it is better than when I think I did it.

Which song did you think you grasped on the feeling when you sang, “This is me!”

“Ai Araba It’s All Right” is an song where it is easy to put your feelings in. I love the lyrics and sympathize with it in a lot of places. That’s why the natural “me” is able to come out. I think the lyric that Tsunku wrote fits what I was thinking of before. When I first heard it, I was happy.

What phrase do you like?

I especially like the part where it says, “Each generation did their very best.” I thought, “Yes! That’s right!”

Did you think about your grandpa, grandma, and the people before them?

Yes. Like during the war and such. And if the ancestors of my grandpa and grandma died, I wouldn’t have been born. If my grandpa and grandma didn’t meet by chance, I wouldn’t be here right now. It even connects to when my grandpa was a little kid. And so, even the old ancestors each had their own lives where they did their best. If I imagine that, I become touched. Therefore, I have to thank the grandpas and grandmas that I never met from thousands of years ago. I have inherited that, so I have to try my best… That’s what I think about when I sing.

If those ancestors from thousands of years ago didn’t exist, you wouldn’t be in Morning Musume.

Yes. Not only my father and mother, I want to thank everybody for doing their best!

At what time did you first feel that you were a Morning Musume member?

Umm, when I entered the backstage room that had Morning Musume written on it.

Ahahaha. I see.

I thought, “Is it ok for me to enter?” (laughs). I still have moments where during a live, somebody yells, “Morning Musume, this way,” and I think, “Ah, right, I’m in Morning Musume.”

It hits you suddenly.

Yes. When I’m staring off into space, backstage, I think, “Yaguchi Mari, the person I watch on T.V. is right in front of my eyes.” It’s really a strange feeling. Even in the same generation, I think, “Ah, I took purikura [print club] with Kamei Eri!”

Even when you see your own fan?

Yes, I think that. “Ah, I’m Michishige Sayumi” (laughs). But that’s how amazing I think Morning Musume is.

Have you thought of creating a place for Morning Musume Michishige Sayumi?

I wonder. I do want to show my character well and I really understand that the older members are creating a “place” for us too. I think we have to be more active and not rely on the older members to move forward. There are also 11 of us, so I don’t want to be buried.

What kind of “you” do you want to put out from now? The Michishige right now is a “cute character.”

Fufufu. In the beginning, without thinking far ahead, I said, “I’m cute.” And then everybody laughed normally. That felt nice and then I kept saying so many times (laughs). Recently, I thought I can’t keep going like this.

Do you want to get rid of the cuteness?

No. If you are speaking about “cute”, isn’t everybody in Morning Musume cute? I think everybody is cuter than me. So, when I say that, nobody will take the trouble to say, “I’m cute,” right?

Well, that’s your characteristic to say something daring like that (laughs).

Yes. But because it was said on purpose, I have to have the confidence to say it even more purposefully.

Ah, is that a proclamation that you will become even cuter?

Yes. I want to aim for that.

Since you joined Morning Musume, you thought you had to polish yourself?

That is the amazing part of Morning Musume. If I only look in the mirror, it would just end with self-satisfaction.

But, with that kind of competition, it might be fun for a woman.

Yeah. But it also burns. It’s fun to see the other members think, “Ah, cute.” I really love cute kids.

Not including yourself?

Yes. When I see a cute kid, I feel really happy. That’s why I also really like looking at the other members.

Is that why you also want to give your happiness to other people who are cute?

Yes (laughs).  

Are you glad that you are in Morning Musume?

Yes. It was originally my favorite group.

What about other singers you admired?

Umm, I listened to a lot of other singers. But I only liked collecting Morning Musume cards.

You even collected cards.

Yes. I traded with friends. In a snack shop in my neighborhood, they were selling one card for 30 yen. I didn’t buy one card, but I gathered all of them together and bought them all. With my New Year’s money. I used up all my New Year’s money for that year (laughs).

Wow. For a kid, that was some decisive shopping.  

It is! Because you are kid, paying 30 yen for something using a lot of gift money will not make you hesitant to buy. But to use all 2000-3000 yen is really decisive shopping. Now that I think about, I’m impressed by the daring purchase (laughs).  

But from just this story, anybody can see how much you love Morning Musume.

I really do love it. In my room I have posters up and underneath a vinyl covering on my desk all my cards are lined up. I looked at Morning Musume everyday while studying.

Did you like Morning Musume as an admiring fan or because you wanted to join?

I think probably both. I admired idols from before. I imagined a lot such as, “If Mom was this, she would be this member,” and “If older sister was this, she would be this member!” Also something like, “If I was a boy, I would want this person to be my girlfriend.”

In that case, who would be the girlfriend?

Ishikawa. I think she is very cute. Yaguchi would be my mom! That’s because when I see her on T.V. I have a really fashionable image of her. If I was her daughter, I would be able to wear all kinds of cute clothing.

Interesting. You have a rich imagination.

Ah, yes, I do. My daydreams are really big. I like crazy daydreams.

Right. You even imagine the lives of your ancestors thousands of years ago.

It’s always been like that since I was little. I love creating conversations and imagining things that are impossible. In class, when I didn’t like doing math, I would think of conversations in my head all the time. I also wrote a lot of stories.

Did you imagine yourself being in Morning Musume?

I constantly imagined it. Even when I applied for the audition, I imagined what my life would be like if I joined Morning Musume and I even dreamed about it while sleeping. I dreamed that when I went to see Morning Musume at the airport, I became a Morning Musume member (laughs). That’s why, when I passed, I thought that unimportant dream came true.

Your dream came true, but it’s much tougher than the dream.

Yes. But it is much more fun than what I imagined.

Do you imagine your future from now?

I sometimes think about what will happen. That’s because I’ve been doing Morning Musume all the way up until now. But other than Morning Musume, I don’t know anything else. I still don’t have anything in particular that I want to do. I just want to be in Morning Musume for as long as possible. That’s what I think right now.

I wonder what will happen three years from now.

18 years old… I feel that I will still be in Morning Musume. I want to be. But I wonder what will happen. I look forward to it.

The younger members might fear the strict older members.

Noooo, that’s scary (laughs).  

Someday you will graduate, huh.

I haven’t thought about it all though.

You don’t imagine it? Like everybody is crying at the graduation ceremony.

No, no. I don’t. I don’t want to imagine that yet.

Well, better yet, being married and having kids and still being in Morning Musume.

Ah, that seems like fun!

Do you have anything that you want to try from now?

Umm, I want to make Usa-chan Peace a trend.

Eh, that’s it?

Do you know Usa-chan Peace?

Yes.

Wah, I’m happy.

At Yokohama Arena, you even did the Usa-chan Peace while you were crying (laughs).

Yes. I was happy that Iida did it with me.

You were thinking of aiming for the trend like that?

At first, I thought it was just cute doing it, but in time I thought I want to make this a trend!

Are the fans familiar with this?

Yes. I’ve been doing this for awhile and there are fans who sends purikura of them doing Usa-chan peace. There are letters that say, “Even in the company, everybody does it!” When I see that I’m really happy. But, I think I need to let it be known more.

You want to penetrate nation-wide.

Yes. I want to make it even more popular!

To the point of getting the buzzword of the year.

Ah, that would be great.

I don’t know if this is a big ambition or a small ambition.  

I’ll do my best this year!

Lastly, two questions from the community. First, what do you think of Tsunku?

A person I respect! I wonder how he has that much talent? He creates different genres and types of songs, such as rap, ballads, and fun cute songs. And not only Morning Musume, he also creates for a lot of other people, right? He writes the lyrics and music for all those songs, I wonder when he is able to sleep. He also comes to see the lives and talks about what he thinks afterwards. In order to create a good live, he has to think about a lot of things and gives each person advice on how doing a certain way will be better. He’s really amazing.

Is there any advice that has left an impression?

The one that made me the happiest is after recording for the T.V. show “Pop Jam,” he sent me mail. On that day, I talked quite a bit. And Tsunku wrote, “You did your best today.” He also said that I was being myself and the talk was interesting.

He really saw that you did your best.

Yes. But after the recording, I thought I might have talked a little too much. And then the mail came. I was really happy. Tsunku always sees a lot of things at once. It’s like he has an eye that spins around his head.  

That’s a little scary (laughs). Have you sought advice yourself?

Umm, I can’t really say what I want to say. But in the middle of replying a mail I have written something like, “Right now, I can’t do this and I’m worried about it…”

Well then, the last question. What kind of person is Morning Musume Michishige Sayumi?

Somehow, cute.

Somehow (laughs)?

Ah, well, everybody is cute. So more than just cute, a person who wants to be cute.

The word “cute” maybe a key word for Sayumi forever.

More than about me being cute, I like cute things. So just looking at a cute kid is fun.

But while looking at a cute kids, I think Sayumi is cute for not thinking, “Hmph.”

Really?

I understand today that not only looks, but your way of thinking is cute.

I’m happy. When I’m praised about what’s inside, I’m really happy. In anearlier magazine interview, when I was explaining about what the song feels like, I was told that I’m interesting because every time is an different image when I’m talking. I’m really happy about that. I only wrote about that in the diary entry of that day. I wrote, “I won’t forget that person’s face for life” (laughs). I was that happy.

That is also cute. As I thought, a cute person also has a cute heart.

Wai! A lot of “cuteness” came out now, huh (laughs).  

(2005.02.01)

Morning Musume My Best Song “Koe”
 I love the soft melody.

I love the soft melody. The lyrics are pretty and I want to know what that person’s voice sounds like. Even though I’m saying the same thing, but how that person speaks and how another person speaks is completely different and I sympathize with that. Even after the recording of the album finished, I listened to Tsunku’s pre-recorded version all the time. Even now I listen to it at home. I’m really happy to be able to sing this kind of song.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »
^^What? No comments for the cutest girl in the world?? :o XD Perhaps everybody is waiting for a certain yankii instead. XD

Translated by Fenrir

MM x Tsunku 2

Tanaka Reina

Striking her opponents with her aloof, cool beauty.

With a regular look, in a moment, she strikes her opponents with her aloof, cool beauty. Without listening to the praise in her surroundings, she puts all her passion and ambition in her own song and dance. Watching the T.V. or a live, Tanaka Reina has that charm, of course. Acknowledging our frank talk with innocence and a roar of laughter, she wants to have a cool talk, so without looking for words, she lets her eyes spin… that kind of girl is super charming <3.  

Birthday: 1989.11.11
 Blood Type: O
 Birthplace: Fukuoka Prefecture
 Debut Song: “Shabondama” (2003.7.30)

Yuko Nohji: Do you still remember when you joined Morning Musume?

Tanaka Reina: Yes. The moment they said that I passed, I was happy going, “Wah-!” In my head, I was wondering what I got myself into.

When the three of you were told that you passed, everybody went silent.

I don’t know if Eri and Sayu had the same feelings, but I was first thinking, “I have to move places.”

But, if you pass, naturally that will happen.

Before going to training camp, they asked, “If you pass, will you be ok on moving to Tokyo?” At that time, I replied, “Yes, it’s fine.” That’s because I never thought I’d pass and need to go to training camp.

Eh, you never felt that you will pass?

Yes (smiles).  

Eh, I couldn’t see that.

Therefore, when I passed, I felt, “Eh, did I really pass?” At that moment, thoughts of not being able to hang out with my friends, having to transfer, and not being able to spend time with everybody in the family were spinning around in my head and, so I tamely said, “Wai~!”

Then, when you started living in Tokyo, did you get homesick?

Yes. That was the toughest thing.

Even though you were with your mom?

But, my dad was in Fukuoka. Therefore, when there was talk of, “I want to live with a family of 4 people again,” I couldn’t handle it. And if I continued saying, “I want to go back!” there are times Mama would say, “Then, shall we go back?”

Quit Morning Musume?

Yes. I would be really noisy and I say, “Let’s go back to Fukuoka.” And with my willpower, if I replied, “Yeah, let’s go back,” then she say, “Well, then, go call the office and say that.” I really was about to call the office.

You really didn’t, did you?

No, when I told Mama, I knew. I thought, “As I thought, I can’t do that.” I was sad that I couldn’t spend time with the family and couldn’t meet my friends, but I really wanted to be a Morning Musume member, so I came to Tokyo. Even thought it’s painful, I wanted to work here… I knew that part of me was there at that time.

Mama saw it from the beginning, the feelings of you not wanting to quit, huh.

Yeah. My mama is really a candid person. She says what she is thinking. In the house, when I was practicing and couldn’t do it, if I get mad at myself, she would say, “Be quiet!! If you are irritated, go over there and do it.” But, when she doesn’t say that, I’ll complain until who knows when. If my mama wasn’t here, I wouldn’t be able to do this (laughs).

Do you actually resemble her a little?

I wonder how. We both say what we are thinking. Mama is strong. On many levels.

You always admired Morning Musume, so you wanted to take the auditions.

Yes. More than wanting to join, I wanted to meet them first.

In order to meet them, you needed to join, right (laughs).

Yes. Also, if I was able to join Morning Musume, I thought in what way will they look at me. Before taking the audition, I went to see a concert once. At that time, the friend that I went with said, “Reina, next time, it won’t be you watching, but you’ll be dancing.” And it really happened (laughs).

It’s just like a dream-like conversation.

Earlier, I had conversations with my Mama, “I really made it, isn’t it amazing.” I can’t really explain it very well, but it felt like, “Ah, I joined.”

Do you think about standing on stage?

Standing on stage, I don’t think about it. But I do think about it after the concert. When I’m on stage, I have fun and don’t have time to think about those things.  

Before admiring Morning Musume, did you want to become a singer?

I wanted to become an entertainer. More than a singer, I wanted to become a person who “appears on T.V.” And, if it’s Morning Musume, that makes my dream come true in one sweep, right?

You sing, dance, appear on varieties, and do plays…

Also, I love having my picture taken, so for magazine articles, I’m able to do photo shoots. And a bonus, I’m able to meet the Morning Musume that I love (laughs). So I thought I try to take the audition.  

When you met them in real life, was it different from your imagination?

Yeah, it really is different from T.V. The real thing has strength. There was an aura of not to come close coming out. Especially Iida, who was extremely pretty and had big eyes, if our eyes met once, it’s like I couldn’t look away (laughs). Therefore, in the beginning, I couldn’t get close to Iida, Yaguchi, Ishikawa…mostly everybody. Also, the person I especially could not look straight in the eye is Goto.

From the beginning, you seem to look up to the Morning Musume generation of Goto.

When I joined, she already graduated, but even though it was just greeting each other during Hello Project concerts, I was super nervous.

Didn’t you have a cool image around the time when you joined?

That has often been said, but where that started, I really have no idea. Actually, I’m not cool or anything. My friends back home said I have high tension, am weird and “stupid” (laughs). But I think that side doesn’t come out on T.V., so they might think I’m cool.

Saying that, you don’t want your actual and different image to be seen?

No, I don’t worry about those things. If that is seen, then it’s fine that it is seen.

I wonder if it’s because we are able to see an intense feeling when you aren’t smiling.

Ah, that’s probably right. When I have a serious face, I have been asked, “Are you mad?” Also, in the beginning, I was nervous. If I’m nervous, it seems you can see my “scary face.”

Is that so? So when you are nervous, you are the type that “stands dignified.”

Yeah, yeah, that’s right! Lot of members even say “Reina, you’re not nervous, eh,” but actually, I’m so nervous that my stomach hurts and I can’t speak at all. However, when I get so nervous that I can’t even say “Oh my god!” and I remain silent and just stand there, they say, “You’re calm.” (laughs)

When you just came to Tokyo, you said, “I still haven’t shown my real side,” but what about now?

I wonder. Probably, I think even now you haven’t been able to see the real Tanaka Reina. Umm, I wonder how to say this… it’s not that my true character isn’t coming out, but hasn’t come out. Isn’t the place where I generally work different so to speak?

It’s different from the place where you speak with your mom in the house, right.

Yes. That’s why I think, probably, you haven’t been able to see the real Tanaka Reina all this time. But, this is the real Tanaka Reina. I can’t explain it well, but do you understand the meaning?

That you right here isn’t a fake Reina.

Yes.

Two years have passed since you joined. Have you become more mature?

I don’t know.

What do people say?

That I haven’t changed (laughs).

My pace?

Maybe. Even though there are things I want to fix by myself, if another person says it I get irritated. When I understand things and people say to me, “Do it like this,” I think, “Of course I know that.” But I want to change that. For example, if other people don’t say something like, “For today’s concert, you weren’t like your usual self, you weren’t energetic,” I wouldn’t have known myself. Therefore, I know that kind of opinion is important, but if it is said, I would say, “Eh, why?” and I can’t take that sitting down obediently. However, recently, I think I have, in a good way, become more obedient little by little. In the beginning, whatever was said to me, inside my mind it would be like, “Shit!” (laughs)

The boastful guy type, huh.

If there is a part that changed, it’s said my face became young. However, when I go back home, they say, “What’s with this adult-like attire,” and “What is this make-up~.” What’s happening? I wonder if this is growing up. I thought going forward was faster (laughs).

Well, maybe if you do this everyday, you will become mature faster.

I do and everyday is fun. But there isn’t a lot of free time. Each day goes by fast. I go to school, then work, and when it’s all done, I go home and it’s 9 p.m. I don’t have much time to myself. I can’t stay up too late, so until I feel sleepy, I watch a DVD. Also, I take a bath and it becomes bed time.  

Don’t you have something you don’t like?

When I go back home and then go back to Tokyo, it’s the most painful when I say bye to my friends. On the work side, I don’t think there are really painful parts. But when I practice and practice and still can’t do it, I have thought, “No more!” In new songs, I have my own solo parts. Even if it is a phrase, at that time, my singing power and performance must have some expression. Even in that one or two seconds, in order for my part to sound good, it’s necessary to practice.

It’s hard to show charm in a moment, huh.

Yes. But even if I practiced and practiced, in the beginning I couldn’t do it at all. While I was thinking I can’t do it, I can’t do it, I get this great burst of anger.

Completely opposite.

“Why am I singing like this? It’s just one group,” I would say to myself and get angry.

So you get angry at yourself.

The part of me that can’t do it is irritating. Somehow, if I become like this, I can’t sing and become irritated. And then, I think a lot about “trying it this way,” but as I think about it, I start to not understand it.

So, you go, “Waaaaaaaaah~!”

Even though other people say, “That’s ok,” there are parts of me that aren’t satisified.  

Until the end, you won’t be satisfied or won’t let yourself be satisfied.

By that time, I don’t believe in other people. I still continue to do what I think is good. In the end, I feel better when I practice until I can do it. So, I always think of practicing without getting angry.

Are you strict with yourself?

Maybe. During recording, even if I’m told, “That’s good,” I have said, “No, one more time please.”

Why do you try harder even when it’s really painful?

That’s because, everybody will be able to see to what I put out. I even hear it from my friends. Probably, I think to myself, “Reina isn’t like this.” Therefore, I think I have to put myself out more naturally.

You want to show an even better you.  

Yes. I think I still can’t really sing.

When you auditioned, you said, “I’ve tried really hard up to now,” but are you trying harder than you were back at that time?

Yup, I’m trying more than back then. At the boarding house, I thought, “For the moment, I’ll just remember this.” It’s just like at karaoke that it’s ok to properly remember the melody and lyrics. I didn’t think of being better than that. But when I joined Morning Musume, isn’t that becoming a “singer?” I gradually understood that it wasn’t like a karaoke.

Basically, you didn’t really sense that until after you joined?

Yes. If it was karaoke, wouldn’t the all kids now be good? So, if it was just ok to be good, everybody could become a singer. Since joining Morning Musume, if I don’t have a higher goal, then I can’t be seen as a “singer.”

When did you start thinking that way?

Umm, about 1 year from joining. I think I’ve come to be able to think properly just recently.

Was there a big trigger with a change in the way you think?

Around the beginning, I had a lot of solo parts, but, eventually, I couldn’t sing those parts. I thought, “Maybe I couldn’t sing those parts after all,” and be impatient. And after “Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago,” I thought, “In the end I really can’t do it!” and got really impatient. This might be really bad (laughs).  

At this rate, you couldn’t see yourself as a singer?

Yes. But, besides trying my best, it’s not something that can’t be done. So, I thought I do my best in dance, etc for myself. And while I was doing my best, “The Manpower!!!” came.  

You got a big part after awhile.

I was overjoyed more than before when I got a solo part. In the beginning, I just sang without understanding anything, so I didn’t understand the feeling of “being happy to get a solo part.” Therefore, if “Shabondama” came now, it would be the best.

During “Shabondama,” you joined and were suddenly selected to be in the center.

That’s right. But, at that time, I just did what I was told. The feeling of “I’m happy just to sing,” like now, might have been weak.

In other words, at that time, it took everything you had to just to do as you were told. That’s because, at that time, it seemed that you also practiced hard at home.

Of course, I can’t neglect singing. Even during “Shabondama,” and even when I was center during Otome-gumi. But, there was a period where I didn’t sing any solo parts, so when “The Manpower!!!” came being able to sing was great. I finally realized how happy I am to be able to sing.  

It was a good experience then.

Now, at concerts, I’m able to sing Goto’s parts. And I have the expectation of it’s good to sing this part. If it’s done like that, the feelings of wanting to answer back to Tsunku’s expectation was born and I thought of trying even harder.

Well, is there something that is different from you during “Shabondama” to the you now?

Yes.

Aa! was a unit at that time.

Yeah. It really is amazing, my past self. In Aa! I was the oldest. The 3 of us appeared on T.V. I couldn’t believe it (laughs).  

You just debuted, so it was very surprising.

Yup, it feels so long ago. It feels like 5 years ago.  

Even though you were a new member, you were a leader.

But, I just joined, so I didn’t understand the responsibility. I was like “What is a leader??” (laughs)

What about pressure?

There was! That’s because, my manager said, “Look, those two are nervous, so you can’t fall apart!” I was like, “No, I’m nervous too. I already can’t talk!” (laughs).  

You couldn’t afford to have the other girls help, huh.

Everyday, in my heart, I was about to cry.

Still, was able seeing you be really calm a disadvantage or an advantage?

Umm, when I was nervous, I would slip on the musical interval. But, if you can’t see me being nervous and think “That’s the real Tanaka Reina.” That would be troublesome.

Ah, I see.

If I don’t convey that I’m nervous, it’s like “this is my level of strength in singing.”

You couldn’t understand that “being off in the musical interval was due to you being nervous.”

That’s right. I knew when my dance is bad, my facial expression becomes bad. When I wonder if other people thought that this was my usual “bad dancing” and my face is “always like this,” the nervous me would be like “no” and I would be on the verge of tears.

But it wasn’t a wall that you couldn’t climb over.

Seeing me now, I think it was fun. Once more, I want to feel the fast paced heart beat.

In the beginning, you said that if you become nervous, the real you would come out. That hasn’t changed.

Ahaha. If I get nervous, I would restrain myself.

This year at the Hello! Project live, you covered the old song, Aa! “First Kiss.”

It was nostalgic. I felt like I returned back then.

Your singing is different from before?

It’s different. I’m able to think and sing about the lyrics (laughs). I understood the lyrics. In the end, it’s changed a little bit. I was surprised myself.  

What is your happiest thing about joining?

I have lots, but when I do the concerts. The people holding my fans have increased and I can see that my fans have increased… when it’s like that the lives are the best. It’s like, “Everybody, please look at me!”

In the end, your motivation has changed?

It changed. Also, when we had a concert for the first time in my hometown, I was happy. At first, I was really, really nervous. My childhood friends came too. Therefore, also from the start, I didn’t see the audience seating much and I felt that I should just try my best and dance. And, when I saw the audience seats in the middle, I noticed that the number of my fans was a lot. At that moment, it was the best. I thought, “As I expected of my hometown” (laughs). I was deeply touched.

So you are not nervous about concerts anymore?

I’m nervous on the first day, but as the tour goes around, the bad nervousness goes away. I feel, probably, that at a live is the best place that I truly show myself. That’s because I’m always smiling. I smile so much that afterwards my face hurts (laughs).

So at the first live, you were super nervous.

In my head, it was pure blank. I really don’t remember anything (laughs). But, before it began, I was really nervous, but I thought, “I want to hurry up and go on stage!” I remember being excited.

I wonder if it’s always a battle between courage and nervousness.

As long as you don’t lose to nervousness, but in the end, nervousness is bad. If I’m nervous, I’m at a disadvantage… and I’ve even been told this by Mama (laughs). I don’t get as nervous as I did back then now and I think this is a chance for me to go out.

It’s about time for the 6th generation members to lose the feeling of “new members?”

Yes. But the actual feeling will probably come out more when a junior member joins. I’m the youngest in Morning Musume. I’m the same age as Sayu, but my birthday is much later.  

I can’t see it. That’s because when Kamei and Michishige joined, they said you were reliable.

People have said that. Even though Eri is the oldest. But, it’s like that. If the three of us are doing work, I feel like I can’t fall behind because I’m the youngest. I wonder why.

Perhaps it’s your personality?

Yeah, I felt that way since long ago. Even now if the three of us are working together, I would suddenly talk about splitting the duties.

Have you thought about yourself 3 years to 5 years from now?

I haven’t thought of it. I’m thinking about the present. That’s because if you think about the future, it will be what it will be. Life is something that has been decided. Yeah.

That was intense.

It does sounds like that. Therefore, I don’t often think about what was said before.

You haven’t thought about when you will be graduating from Morning Musume?

For now, I feel like I need to try my best now. So that each day isn’t painful.

Do you think you will be continuing this work forever?

I don’t know… If I’m able to continue, it would be nice. But, I wonder if I can’t continue forever? Even if I may graduate from Morning Musume, I haven’t thought of wanting to become solo.

Ah, really?

Yeah. I may think of it later, but at this point of time, I haven’t thought about it. Therefore, I really didn’t know about the stuff before. Right now, I’m still going around, so I don’t think I have the actual strength in expectations to try it by myself.

But, if left to you, you have thought of “I’ll do it!”

If there is expectation that “I’ll be ok,” then I want to try my best.

I wonder what a 20 year old Tanaka Reina will be?

Right. That’s in 5 years. It’ll come soon. For sure.

Lastly, two questions from everybody in the community. First, about Tsunku.  

I mail him a lot.

What kind?

If I mail him that I’m going back to my hometown, he’ll reply, “Bring back some whale bacon~” (laughs). It’s Fukuoka’s famous food. But even about work, I mail quite a bit. After a concert finishes, I receive a mail and I reply and this go back and forth for awhile…

For you, what kind of person is Tsunku?

Near the beginning, he sent a mail like, “It’s ok to think of me as Tokyo dad.” And, in the end, it’s just like that, a “father” figure. Even asking advice, I’ll believe in his replies. If he writes, “How about doing it this way?” I think, “If I do as Tsunku says, will I change more?”

You don’t listen to those types of people (laughs).

Ahaha, I want to trust his words. For example, even when I’m really depressed, he sends a mail praising me, and my motivation really comes out. I think of trying harder, I have self-confidence, and I’m able to have more fun. I’m the type that when praised, my tension rises (laughs).

Well, then do you have people that make your tension rise?

Yes. When I think, “It’s impossible…” and when mail like “If it’s you, you can do it,” come, I really think that it’s great having Tsunku here. Tsunku tells me lots of various things, so I think I have tried my best up to now.  

Well then, one more question. What kind of person is Morning Musume’s Tanaka Reina?

Eh, what? Tanaka Reina is Tanaka Reina.

Unusual.

…But is it ok?

It may be like you.

At the most, I’m easy-going, so I go like that.

(2005.1.28 )

Morning Musume My Best Song: “Shabondama”
 It feels like my song.

In the concert, when I think, “It’s tough! No more!” if it’s this song, then I completely change. Even though this is an intense songs, it’s a mysterious song that I’m able to become energetic and feel like, “Yeah, I can do it!” near the end of singing. I feel that this song is “my song.” I think of something like even if other people sing it, it can’t become “Shabondama.” At this point, somebody might think, “Just who do you think you are?” (laughs)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:53:48 PM by Fenrir »

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 08:15:40 PM »
thanks Fen for the Reina and Sayu translations.. I haven't read them yet I used up my last bit of ink on reina's lol so i can't print out sayu's XD. again thanks.
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline mr.niigaki

• is a female.
  • Member+
  • remember the noisy girls
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
Thanks again for translations!

Really nice to learn more about the 6 gen girls. :heart:

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »
Domo for the translations! Loved the read on Reina :D

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »
Thanks for the translations! Reina is exactly how I pictured her in real life, haha xD

Offline Shoko

• Member+
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »
I love Sayu now.
Having a hard day? Send me a PM and I'll create a parody of something! It's my policy to make you laugh. If you don't, I will do it again. Until you crack a smile :)

Offline ggliff

• Jump! Jump! Let's take off!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2007, 12:52:20 AM »
Thanks a lot for all these, especially Reina's :heart:

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
Wow, Sayu surprised me in a very pleasant way, I already figured out that her cute character wasn't her real self but this is much better than I expected. Thanks for the translations, they are revealing a lot of new things for me ^^

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
Huh not sure how I managed to miss this thread.

Anyway thanks for all the hard work. Really interesting stuff. Reeeeeeally interesting.

Offline Gblue

• 流れ星
  • Member+
  • 流れ星
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
reina is exactly how i thought :p
sayu, on the otherhand, i dont know. she surprised me.
thanks for the translations, they've been very interesting.

Offline Ren

• ワーイε=ヾ(*・∀・)/
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a girl!
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »
Thank you very much for these translations! :D

Michishige is talking a lot about fellow 6th gen members XD She just seems... innocent.

Offline drifoy

• w 0 n k y f ! 3 d
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SHADDAP!!!
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
been waiting for this. thank you very much.
I :heart:Reina and Seo Hyun | I :heart: Kpop

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chemistry - Almost In Love