JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Keikoku

Author Topic: (Band) GLAY  (Read 44175 times)

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
(Band) GLAY
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »
One of the first bands I heard of when I was getting into Japanese music was GLAY, but at the time I was on 56k Internet and so it was virtually impossible to get hold of their stuff. I got broadband and still found it was difficult to track any downloads down, finally now that I have torrents I've downloaded the discorgaphy and I'm really quite impressed. Either no-one's thought to think of making a therad for them because simple no-one likes them or well...they just haven't. So...any thoughts?

daigong edit....for EPICness...thank you thank you Kaizer for settin it up :heart:

GLAY are (from left to right):

Tonomura Hisashi (外村 尚)

Also known as: Hisashi

Birth date: February 2, 1972 (currently age 37)

Birth place: Hirosaki, Aomori, Japan

Position: Lead guitarist

Instrument(s) played: guitar

Years active: 1988 - present (GLAY), 2005 - present (rally)

Songs:

* Cynical (single "Ikiteku tsuyosa")
    * Doku Roku (album "REVIEW", with Takuro)
    * Neuromancer (single "a Boy ~zutto wasurenai)
    * ai (single "Soul Love")
    * Surf Rider (single "Missing You")
    * Denki Iruka Kimiyouna Shikou (album "ONE LOVE")
    * Prize (album "ONE LOVE")
    * Giant Strong Faust Super Star (single "Mata Kokode aimashou")
    * Brothel Creepers (single "Aitai Kimochi", with Takuro)
    * coyote, colored darkness (album "THE FRUSTRATED")
    * THE FRUSTRATED (album "THE FRUSTRATED", with Takuro, under the pseudonym "Kombinat-12")
    * HIGH COMMUNICATIONS (album "THE FRUSTRATED" with Takuro, under the pseudonym "Kombinat-12")
    * World's End (album "LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL")

Kobashi Teruhiko (小橋 照彦)

Also known as: Teru

Birth date: June 8, 1971 (currently age 38)

Birth place: Hakodate, Hokkaido, Japan

Position: Vocalist

Instrument(s) played: vocals, drums, guitar, harmonica

Years active: 1988 - present (GLAY)

Songs:

* ACID HEAD (from single "Zutto futari de...", lyrics written by Teru and Takuro, music by Takuro)
    * Hello my life (from single "Winter, again" - lyrics written by Teru and Takuro, music by Takuro)
    * Shuumatsu no Baby Talk (from album "BEAT out!" - music and lyrics)
    * Little Lovebirds (from single "Yuuwaku" - music and lyrics)
    * Rock Icon (from single "Mermaid" - lyrics written by Teru and Takuro, music by Takuro)
    * Super Ball 425 (from single "STAY TUNED" - lyrics by Teru, music by Takuro)
    * BACK UP (from single "STAY TUNED" - music and lyrics)
    * BLAST (from album "THE FRUSTRATED" - music and lyrics)
    * I Will~ (from album "LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL" - music and lyrics)

Kubo Takuro (久保 琢郎)

Also known as: Takuro

Birth date: May 26, 1971 (currently age 38)

Position: Rhythm guitarist, leader

Instrument(s) played: guitar, piano, keyboards

Years active: 1988 - present (GLAY)

Songs: almost every song Glay has

Wayama Yoshihito (和山 義仁)

Also known as: Jiro

Birth date: October 17, 1972 (currently age 36)

Position: Bassist

Instrument(s) played: bass, guitar

Years active: 1988 - present (GLAY), 2005 - present (The Predators)

Songs:

* Shutter Speeds no Tema, from 1996 album BELOVED (music by Jiro, lyrics by Takuro).
    * Kanariya, from BELOVED (music by Jiro, lyrics by Takuro).
    * Biribiri Crashman, from 1998 album pure soul (music by Jiro, lyrics by Takuro).
    * Good bye bye Sunday, from 2000 single Tomadoi/Special Thanks (music and lyrics by Jiro).
    * TIME, from 2000 single Missing You (music and lyrics).
    * Highway #5, from 2001 album ONE LOVE (music and lyrics).
    * Mister Popcorn, from album ONE LOVE (music and lyrics).
    * NEVERLAND, from 2002 album "UNITY ROOTS & FAMILY, away" (music by Jiro, lyrics by Takuro).
    * BUGS IN MY HEAD, from 2004 album THE FRUSTRATED (music and lyrics).
    * AMERICAN INNOVATION, from 2007 LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL (music by Jiro, lyrics by Takuro).

Links:

http://www.glay.co.jp/en/
 http://www.myspace.com/glayofficial

and  :shocked:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:47:38 AM by daigong »

Offline ©MicHi

• Member+
  • alamWoTa LeaDeR~
Re: (Band) Glay
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:27:20 PM »
yup, actually b4 i start in to the H!P world, i was a glay freak... its kinda the starting for me into the japs song... i started hear them on the 2001, when one love album just came out if i not mistaken~ the song was really really nice!!! their old song also nice, then i bought the compilation album, glay best n etc... then i wanted to watch their vclip, i bought the "GLAY VIDEO 1 to 5" and it was so COOL!!! i like the way hisashi playin' the guitar!! kakoii!!!

the 1st concert i watch is the 2001 tour!! it was so nice... enenehehehe...its been long time since i talk bout glay... but i just bought two of their concert last month, the ROCK n ROLL SWINDLE 2006, and THE FRUSTRATED TOUR @ UNIVERSAL STUDIO 2004... the universal studio concert was SO NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although in my heart now is H!P and AKB48, but sumtimes i feel like wanna change mood, i play GLAY song~

@cookie holiday: wow, where do u download the disco??? and do u know where i can download the other glay concert, like ONE LOVE concert and etc???

thanks to GeneRiC^PaPerDoLL for my CuTe~ ava n sig~ (^o^)

Offline donkeykong83

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:07:29 PM »
Whoa..a Glay topic. They're like my favorite and I own almost everything they've released. Yeah..not many people seem to like them for some reason.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:19:17 PM »
Yeah I was really surprised that no-one had evenstarted a topicfor them here, nevermind not discuss them. I've only listened to the first two albums so far but they already seem brilliant., they were actually one fo the reasons I got into JPop too, I heard a 30 second preview of "Two Bell Silence" which is an awesome song...only now I've been able to find more of their stuff.

@©MicHi - I've just been able to start using torrents so I found their stuff there, here's the link for the discography (up until Love is Beautiful album I think, if you want a link for that too jsut let me know.) - http://mullemeck.serveftp.org/jps_beta/index.php?page=details&id=30844

Unfotrunately it's not being seeded, so it may take a while to download (took me about 2 days over a 1MB connection).

Also I've had a search through a fair few sites and come up with this - http://www.isohunt.com/download/14358037/one+love

BUT, this may not be the One Love tour, it's up to you whether you want to download it. I can't find a torrent description but the file is around 700MB so I'm guessing there's a good chance it is what you're looking for...I'm downloading myself right now because I want to know myself so if you can't be bothered getting it right now I'll let you know in a few days.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
I remember when Glay was THE biggest thing in J-pop, bar none.  All over TV, every single a number-one hit.  They appeared chipped off the Luna Sea block but skyrocketed to an arguably higher level of popularity.  Are they still in the Guinness Book for playing a concert in front of the largest audience ever assembled?

First song I ever heard from them was "Glorious."  Rockin' good tune.

Offline donkeykong83

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Yeah 1997-1999 was their year. It was all about GLAY. Hell...even jumbo planes had their faces painted on it. Thats how big they were. They were still able to remain big up until around 2003 where their popularity and sales slowly started going down...which is pretty sad.
And yeah they still hold the record for the largest concert ever held in Japan which was back in 1999.
And heres some other interesting info...

# Their first compilation album, "Review", was the best selling album of all time in Japan in 1997. As of 2007, it is ranked at #3. Back then the album even made it into the World Guinness Books of Record for being the biggest/fastest selling album or something. But that record has probably been broken a long time ago.
# In 1998, Japan's telephone service was temporarily put out of order to allow for the mass number of fans to reserve tickets to their upcoming tour.
# Their contract transfer from Pony Canyon to Toshiba EMI is the most expensive transfer in Japan's history, at 4 billion yen.
# The live held in Beijing (a sold-out live of 35,000 audience members) in October 2002 is the most expensive gig in China's history.
# "Yuuwaku" was the biggest selling single in 1998.
# their "Survival" video single is still the biggest selling musical video in Japan.

Top Overall Home Video Sales (VHS+DVD)
1 90.2 サバイバル / GLAY
2 47.0 ザ・ビデオ LOVEマシーン / モーニング娘。
3 46.9 Real Face Film / KAT-TUN  ※ランクイン中
4 42.9 BOHEMIAN SUMMER 2000 / 宇多田ヒカル
5 40.3 Live MIJ / SMAP
6 38.4 SINGLE CLIP COLLECTION VOL.1 / 宇多田ヒカル
7 37.2 KAT-TUN Live 海賊帆 KAT-TUN ※ランクイン中
8 35.0 映像 ザ・モーニング娘。ベスト10 / モーニング娘。
9 33.7 "BUZZ" THE MOVIE / B'z
10 31.9 LAST GIGS / BOOWY

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:06:07 PM »
If you can get their discography, make sure to post it up for the rest of us.  ;D

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
^ Righto will do! I'll get started on it now, I don't think there'll be any problems with the files but my download stuck at 99.99% so I just cancelled and they all seem fine (so far).

EDIT: Does anyone have and preference of where I upload them to? I'm gonna stick them on Megaupload once they're done but just let me know if there's anywhere else you'd like them for whatever reasons.

This link contains the first four studio albums (Hai to Diamond, Speed Pop, Beat Out! and Beloved).
http://www.twitter.com/?d=OSAGQ6IV

More uploads to come...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 02:03:14 PM by Cookie Holiday »

Offline ©MicHi

• Member+
  • alamWoTa LeaDeR~
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
@Cookie Holiday: THANK A LOT!! ahahha...now lets spread the GLAY LOVE in jphip ehehhee... cant wait for more upload!! btw for me to download the disco sure take a month i think...cuz my internet speed damn slow in my country... and there are very few seeder.. so... i need to wait for a really rreally really long time..really hope that there is sum1 who upload the disco ehehe~ onegai shimasu!

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
http://www.twitter.com/?d=VYOX9ZHW

That's another 5 albums from GLAY, these ones to be precise:

Pure Soul, Heavy Gauge, One Love, Unity Roots & Family and The Frustrated.

I've still got to upload the best of albums and compilations as well as the "Love Is Beautiful" album. I'll get onto that later tonight or when I get home tomorrow.

EDIT: For some reason I wrote "6 albums" in the megaupload description but it's just those five I've listed here, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:10:10 PM by Cookie Holiday »

Offline Gblue

• 流れ星
  • Member+
  • 流れ星
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:46:54 PM »
so weird, i was thinking of re-listening to DRIVE best of the other day. I've put it on now ;)

Offline KGCS10

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 07:46:56 AM »
^ Righto will do! I'll get started on it now, I don't think there'll be any problems with the files but my download stuck at 99.99% so I just cancelled and they all seem fine (so far).

EDIT: Does anyone have and preference of where I upload them to? I'm gonna stick them on Megaupload once they're done but just let me know if there's anywhere else you'd like them for whatever reasons.

This link contains the first four studio albums (Hai to Diamond, Speed Pop, Beat Out! and Beloved).
http://www.twitter.com/?d=OSAGQ6IV

More uploads to come...

Why don't you just re-seed the torrent at http://mullemeck.serveftp.org/jps_beta/index.php?page=details&id=30844, or create a new one if you are unable? Then let others seed them again.

Just checked the torrent, theres about 25 leechers on it right now, 15 are at 99 %. You probably just have to seed for about 2 minutes, for everyone to get 100%.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:10:22 AM by KGCS10 »

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
Not everyone can use torrents or they may not be registered at the site that's why. Anyway you're a bit late, I've already upped all the albums except the latest one which is damn easy to find on the Internets on various sites. The only stuff I haven't uploaded is compilations or best hit albums (which I wil ldo if someone requests). I'm thinkin' of the people you know?

Offline ©MicHi

• Member+
  • alamWoTa LeaDeR~
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 03:51:26 PM »
domo arigatou cookie holiday cuz thinkin for other ppl eheheheh~~~~ does anyone have the pic of the hisashi t-shirt on the 2001 tour global communication...the one that have spider look alike logo on the front~???

Kaizer

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »
Wow, the last post was posted two years ago. o-o

Anyway, I was looking for a Glay thread and here it is! I thought there would be none because they seem to be left out at times.  :(  I usually see L'arc~en~Ciel, Dir en Grey etc more often.

Glay is awesome. They were the first ones to really get me into the world of jrock and jpop. I first got into them in 2002 and still love them. :]

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
WHOA!! BREAKING NEWS!! :shocked:

SUPER JAPANESE ROCK BAND GLAY ARRIVES IN THE U.S.
WITH CONCERTS AT THE FILLMORE SAN FRANCISCO AND THE HOUSE OF BLUES HOLLYWOOD IN SEPTEMBER

>
> UDO Artists, Inc. Brings Celebrated Super J-Rock Glay to U.S. Audiences in
> San Francisco and Los Angeles
>
> Los Angeles, California and Tokyo, Japan (August 25, 2009) ‹ Celebrating
> fifteen (15) rocking years and with over 56,000,000 sold Singles, CD¹s,
> DVD¹s, Japan¹s super rock group GLAY will take the U.S. by storm with
> concerts in early September at The Fillmore (San Francisco; Sept. 9, 2009)
> and with two (2) shows in Hollywood at the House of Blues Sunset Strip
> (Sept. 11 and 12, 2009). More information can be found at
> http://www.glay.co.jp/en/
> http://www.myspace.com/glayofficial
>
> UDO Artists, Inc. is launching the GLAY U.S. TOUR 2009-THE GREAT VACATION, a
> limited live concert series for all lovers of great radical Japanese rock
> music. Don¹t miss GLAY U.S. TOUR 2009-THE GREAT VACATION it is a ³MUST
> ATTEND² event for any J-Rock fan! Tickets are available via Ticketmaster
> (www.ticketmaster.com ) and Live Nation
> (www.livenation.com ).
>
> GLAY tour dates and performance locations are as follows:
>
> * Wednesday, September 9, 2009; 8:00 PM: San Francisco CA: The
> Fillmore
> * Friday, September 11, 2009; 9:00 PM: Hollywood CA:
> House of Blues Sunset Strip
> * Saturday, September 12, 2009; 9:00 PM: Hollywood CA: House of
> Blues Sunset Strip
>
> Tickets are available now onsite at the concert venue or online via
> Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.com <http://www.ticketmaster.com> ) or Live
> Nation (www.livenation.com <http://www.livenation.com> ). San Francisco
> tickets available starting at $45.00/each and Hollywood shows available
> starting at $37.50/each with special group rates.
>
> About GLAY
> Formed in 1988 by two (2) high school friends (TAKURO and TERU), GLAY
> considered on of the most successful and popular J-Rock bands still today
> with a total of four (4) band members (TERU-Vocals, TAKURO-Guitar,
> HISASHI-Guitar and JIRO-Bass). To date, GLAY, has sold over 56,000,000
> Singles, CD¹s, DVD¹s and has drawn over seven (7) million concert attendees.
> More information can be found at www.glay.co.jp/en/
> <http://www.glay.co.jp/en/> .

Thanks Chase Wang for the heads up!

Wow, the last post was posted two years ago. o-o

Anyway, I was looking for a Glay thread and here it is! I thought there would be none because they seem to be left out at times.  :(  I usually see L'arc~en~Ciel, Dir en Grey etc more often.

Glay is awesome. They were the first ones to really get me into the world of jrock and jpop. I first got into them in 2002 and still love them. :]

aedon shoulda made this thread, that's why XD

That's cool man. GLAY seems like the more edgier jrock bands too. What's your favorite live of theirs??

Kaizer

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:42 AM »
^ Hi Daigong. : D Too bad I can't make it to the upcoming concert (again). So broke.  :depressed: I've been wanting to see them ever since I got into them...  :(

Yeah? I think so too. They're really unique imo but I only know a few people who are really into them like me. Some people I know even make fun of them because their music is "soft", unlike the so hxc bands like the Gazette, Dir en Grey, etc.

My favourite live? From the ones I've watched, I'd have to say HIGHCOMMUNICATIONS or One Love. xD What about you?

Kaizer

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:16 PM »
Oh and it seems like none of the DJs EVER play Glay on here. They get no love at all.  :depressed:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »
me too Kaiser - I'm in Canada too and no good bands visits above the 53rd parallel. AND FUUCK WOO we got free tickets for those willing to write a report for :hipheart:

I got SURE!! from Tris and (I forgot - maybe?!) rev2hd :P - more detals tonite.

If you are ready and willing Kaiser, wanna PIMP THIS THREAD OUT WITH GLAY to the rest of the J-music heads. I could learn a lesson or two :halo:

Kaizer

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »
What province? : O

You got free tickets to the concert?? Well lucky you.  :(

Oh, okay. o-o

With general info n pix? I guess I can. xD

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Keikoku