JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Onaji Tsuki wo Miteta

Author Topic: A Young Girl's Odyssey [Epilogue ~COMPLETE~]  (Read 54433 times)

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2006, 10:12:04 PM »
Yay! More Odyssey connections XD. The Miki appariation was what stuck out the most :]

To be honest, I wondered how Ai felt, walking in on Reina like that XD. And for a second there, I thought Reina was going to do something to Risa too o_o... Actually, now that I think about it...

Thinking back to Reina and Ai, and Reina and Eri, and connections to the Odyssey, Odysseus winded up being with countless women (usually against his will), so will that mean Reina will end up kissing/sleeping with a lot as well? o_o;

Anywho, do continue with your story~!

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2006, 03:21:01 AM »
Wow what a great chapter! :panda_love: It was a really good read! :D

Quote from: rokun;232563

Reina’s ears caught one of the names Risa just gave her. “Tsuyama-san?” A flower she hadn’t thought of for days came to her mind suddenly.

Another mystery man!  well I guess he would be mystery guy number 1....I wonder if he works for the mistress...:ONdunno:

“Since you’re with Eri I guess that’s not it.” Suddenly she looked up and gave Reina a hard look. “If I catch you two-timing that poor girl, I’ll wring your neck!” She held the menacing air a moment before breaking out in another giggle.

This can't be good if Risa finds out that Reina's kissing Ai...whose neck does she wring first?!:ONerr: ...not that Risa's interested in Ai or anything but Reina's two timing too close to home!  and I think Risa's next on the list afterall she was kissing Risa's hand! :ONding:

“I was in only my underwear. My clothes were on the floor next to my bed. Nobody else was there and… I don’t remember a thing about how I got there.” She paused after that, and Reina couldn’t help but squeeze her hand a little harder.

Hum...I think the mysterious hotel person might be Ai...she seems to know exactly what Reina is doing all the time so maybe she could also tell what Risa's up to....I'm still wondering if Ai has special powers or if she gets her information from her mobsters.

I'm also wondering if it was really an appariation or not...it seems more like a dream so far since the message is exactly the same as the one Aya had...

ah so many questions!  I'm so loving this story! :tfr9a7wg:

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »
GJ! I'm eager to see where the night will take Reina.

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2006, 06:50:41 AM »
Tension. It's a feeling we all love, and it's a feeling we all dread. In my stories my beloved readers seem to find tension everywhere. I suppose I think it's a device that tells a fine story. Dear readers, we'll see what you think. In this chapter I hoped to build tension within you and never let you out of its grasp. I hope I don't let you down. :)

Chapter 13 – Naked Truth

*clunk!!!*

The wrong end of a knife clanged off the pegboard wall Reina was attempting to throw it at, causing her wrist to be grabbed for what seemed like the hundredth time in the early dawn. The girl behind her jerked her wrist to the side in an imitation of the motion she’d been trying to teach Reina for an hour now.

“Remember, you have to be quick,” the girl said. “Just a snap, a flick of your wrist, where you have a high percentage of the strength of your ki focused. Remember that focus. It is the key to everything you’re learning.”

Reina didn’t think she could focus on the broadside of a barn right now after the hours of early morning torture the surprising girl had put her through. This wasn’t exactly the “information” she was thinking of when she agreed to join her.

It had started almost right when she woke up to find the girl sitting beside her in her bed. Ai advised her to get up from her bed and dress for a workout, but had continued staring at her when she slipped from her sheets and wandered around the room naked trying to find her clothes. She’d been at bath with the girl before, but this time seemed… different, somehow. She felt dirty when she knew the girl’s eyes were on her. It made her uncomfortable but… there was a strange exhilaration to it, as well.

After she managed to find her clothes, Ai had almost dragged her from her room and on a long walk through the cold city until she had no idea where she was. Eventually they wound up at a dark-looking building, and Ai took her down some stairs at a side and into this place which she supposed was some kind of training area, though tonight at least, there was nobody else around.

Since they arrived here, Ai had been drilling her on anything from meditation exercises to what seemed like a strange kind of yoga to what she had been doing for the past hours, techniques of knife-throwing. She wasn’t sure how she felt about dealing with these very real weapons, but was left with no opportunity to question it. She thought she began to understand how Ai had excelled at so many things, from singing and her ballet to whatever she knew now – the girl had an amazing amount of discipline. And she seemed to intend Reina to have even more.

Very conscious of the girl standing quite closely behind her holding her wrist, Reina’s breathing quickened. Whether it was due to that or just her seeming failure to grasp any point of what Ai had been trying to teach, she surprisingly felt the pressure ease from her hand and the girl stepped back away from her.

“Well, it seems you do have quite a potential.” Having no idea what the girl meant after Reina’s failures the past few hours, Reina turned around to give her a weary look. Ai looked into her face for a moment before continuing, “Although… I think it’s best now if we take a little… break.”

She led Reina into a smaller room with a kotatsu holding two large teacups. Reina almost shouted with glee when she saw it because the training room was freezing, especially with her dressed only in a tank and shorts for workout clothes. Thankfully the physical activity she was doing kept her a little warm, but at times like these when she stopped she could barely even keep her teeth from chattering. She ran to the kotatsu and eagerly stowed her legs under its blanket. Hugging her body with her arms to warm herself the best she could, after a moment she remembered where she was and looked around for Ai.

The other girl had disappeared for the moment, but Reina had no desire to go away from the warm spot where she was. Not that she had any reason to look for the girl anyway… since she was really here against her will to begin with and all. After a moment Ai came in with a pot of steaming tea and Reina almost yelped for joy again.

Ai sat across from Reina and delicately poured their tea with what looked like quite a practiced technique. Reina wondered if that was part of her training. It did seem to require quite a bit of control. Immediately when Ai was done pouring Reina’s cup, she grabbed it and sniffed it automatically before taking a large quaff. It was different than any tea she had tasted before. It was delicious.

As she drank the strange tea, she felt herself warm up considerably. She also felt re-energized. After a moment, she held the cup in both hands below her nose, savoring the aroma and gazing curiously at the girl across from her. Ai sipped her tea just as delicately as she poured it, not seeming to even pay Reina much mind at first.

“Well you’ve shown me so far how horrible I am at concentrating, so what do you have for me next? Gonna show me how weak I am? It seemed that’s where you were headed with that last little exercise with the knives.”

“Maybe,” the girl responded simply between sips of her tea.

Reina waited for more, but more did not come. “One of the reasons I accepted your gracious offer was to learn something of what’s been going on lately. Like what happened to Miki. I haven’t heard you breathe a word about that this morning.”

“Your mind must be trained before it can contain the inferno of knowledge,” Ai said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Reina stared at her. “I have no idea what you just said.” The blasted girl just continued sipping daintily at her tea. This was starting to get annoying. “All I want to know is about what happened with Mikitty. What are you, some Zen sensei or something now?”

Ai calmly brought the cup from her lips and set it gently on the tabletop. After looking down at it for a second, without raising her chin her eyes shot up to Reina. What was in those eyes took Reina’s breath away.

“I’ve told you I killed Miki,” she stated quietly and a bit dangerously. Darkness seemed to emanate from the shadows of her lowered face, her eyes the only jewels shining out from the twilight. “What more do you wish to know?”

Reina finally found breath to speak after what might have been a minute. “Why?” she breathed at last. It felt like it was getting frosty instead of warm beneath the table.

Ai finally raised her head and reached for the teapot behind her. “Would you like some more tea?” She poured more into the cup Reina just noticed had become empty. Reina wasn’t sure what was going on here…

After she replaced the pot behind her, Ai turned back to Reina. “You show so much strength.” Her eyes glowed at Reina, though her face was no longer dark. “But I wonder if you have the will to do what needs to be done…” She said that last even more quietly, almost as if to herself. Reina chose not to respond, and soon Ai’s attention returned to her.

“Let me tell you a story about a girl,” she began. “This girl was unhappy, even though millions loved her. She felt she wasn’t given what she thought she was worth. Because of this, she wanted more. However, I believe she just fulfilled the worth that was in her mind, whether it was truth or not. One day, a day not unlike a day you lived through recently, she met a man. She met a man who worked in the shadows yet offered her all she could possibly want. Against all reason she trusted the man, and began to learn about a different world. This world was fascinating at first, but it soon became unfamiliar… and terrifying. This wasn’t her world and she had no business trying to fool anyone that it was, least of all herself. She wanted to leave, but this grip, once tightened, does not release. Soon, it was not only about her.”

Ai paused a moment and sipped at her tea. Reina’s tea was held forgotten in her hand, as she was captivated by the vague but intriguing tale she was hearing.

“So… Miki…?” Reina began, unable to find the words to finish her question.

Ai finished her tea and set it on the tabletop. “Are you warm?”

Surprised at the question, Reina responded quickly, “Yes, thank you.”

“Good. Then it’s time for more training.” Ai rose from her comfortable-looking seat and stretched slightly. “We’ll stick with the knives for a while yet; probably the rest of the day. You still need to find your focus.”

Reina peered pleadingly up at the girl, not willing to leave the warmth that was cradling her legs. “You saw how exhausted I was after we finished a bit ago. There’s no way I’m gonna be able to keep going like that. I’ve gotten hardly any sleep…”

Ai made her way to Reina and leaned down to grab her arm, pulling her up quickly to squeaks of protest as Reina’s legs grazed the table. Ai grinned. “There’s a little more strength left in those chicken arms and legs of yours than you think, dear Reina.”

Reina shook off the girl’s hand and glared at her. Intensity flared within her body as it came to life with strength she’d not felt in what seemed like ages. “Stop making fun of me!” she demanded. After a moment of Ai just smiling at her, her fury faded and she was left with the energy in her muscles, confused.

“I take it you noticed that was no ordinary tea. Now you’re noticing some of its effects.” Reina darted a glance down at her cup. “Don’t worry, I told you that you would learn everything. I’ll teach you how to make it in time, when you’re ready, because there will be times when you need a little extra… jolt.” At the last word, Ai once again grabbed Reina’s wrists, pinned them behind her body, and pulled Reina tightly against her in a move too fast for Reina to catch. With the breath suddenly jolted from her lungs, Reina looked into the face of the girl just inches away. “Just remember, sometimes it takes more than that to succeed. There’s one question you need to ask yourself – now, and whenever you’re threatened. Do you want to live… or die?”

Reina’s breathing quickened throughout Ai’s whole speech, no longer just from inability to use her lungs but from growing horror. “I…” she gasped. “I want to live…” Tears began to come to her eyes. “Ai… Ai-chan… I’m just a girl.”

Ai stared at her hard a moment before quickly pressing her mouth to Reina’s, giving her breath, giving her a hint of comfort, while still holding her in an unbreakable embrace throughout what became a long kiss. Reina felt like her world was held in the arms of this unusual girl. She couldn’t feel anything except the tight embrace around her and the surprisingly soft lips cemented to her own. Images flashed through her head of knives, of Miki, of Eri. It was pure sensation. Was she in heaven… or hell?

She felt the lips withdrawing from her own, leaving only their moist imprint behind. Her breathing didn’t slow, but she could hardly even tell if the girl holding her was breathing. She felt like she’d been torn away from ecstasy, and given a reprieve from torturous exile.

“Then…” Ai spoke, “The time for questions must be over for now, and you must learn to survive. And dominate.”

Captivated by the power the other girl held over her, Reina found it impossible to disagree. A feeling dawned on her from the core of her being. She began to understand.

Offline lil_hamz

• Sapphire and Nouveau... like it should've been
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • She makes every summer sweet, every moment happy
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2006, 09:45:03 AM »
I wasn't expecting Ai to put Reina through training so late in the night. And the way she just appears in her room is kinda unsettling XD
It's another great chapter as always :yay:

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2006, 11:34:20 AM »
Ahhh~  All I thought after reading the last part was poor Eri...Reina's so likeable in the story yet still so unfaithful and clueless :ONsweat:

Survive and dominate? :ONshock: hum...that makes me wonder who the real enemy is :ONdunno:

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
(Woot~! 300th post on this story <3)

I have this feeling that Ai and Reina are more connected than they realize. Like how Ai seems like she too, was forced to be who she is against her will, and now Reina is following the same path as Ai. And of course, I think I'm kinda right on how Reina might play the role of the woman who winds up sleeping with others against her will o-o, seeing how you finally put a slight implication in there when Reina thought of others, and Eri, and thought of whether she was in heaven or hell. Poor Reina ; ;... Nonetheless, I definitely look forward to your future chapters.

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2006, 02:14:34 AM »
Wow, intense. ...That's really all I can think to say right now...

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006, 04:20:37 PM »
Thank you all for reading! XD That chapter was a bit serious because it's the beginning of Reina's path, but the next one will change and hopefully be lighter. ^^ I've almost got it written and should have it up later today sometime!

Sukoshi: Lol, yep Reina's been pretty clueless, hasn't she? That might change a little now though that she's beginning to train her mind... You might see some progress in the next chapter.

Yuu-chan: Ai's motives and purpose might be somewhat un-ascertainable for quite a while still. ;) She's a complex person right now... And we'll see what comes of Reina's relationship issues!

rndmnwierd: Hope I didn't fry anything in your head with the tension! :lol: <3

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:48 PM »
As promised! This should be more of a fun chapter. :grin:

Chapter 14 – The Warmth of a Cup of Coffee

“Hey Reina-chan…” Eri piped up when she finally got the time to talk to the girl in question. “Where have you been all weekend? I tried calling you dozens of times… Did you lose your phone?”

Reina continued her stretches in the short time they had between rehearsal numbers. For some reason, these stretches didn’t seem to hurt as much as they used to. She also swore she was able to reach farther down her leg. She could always catch her toes easily – she’d always thought of herself as quite flexible and proud of it – but now she could grab her whole foot and squeeze it with no problem. The feel of a gaze on her leg, bare below her short gym shorts, made her turn to look at the girl sitting cross-legged next to her. Did she even try?

Eri shook her head as if coming out of some kind of trance. Noticing her come back to reality, Reina asked slyly, “My leg’s that sexy, huh?”

The other girl blushed and bowed her head, before mumbling “Of course it is” under her breath. Not one to be distracted however, at least about this, she quickly raised her head and asked again, “So about the weekend…”

“I was busy,” Reina said dismissively. “You do know what that’s like… right?” She raised her eyebrows at the other girl. “I’ve found it’s best to keep myself occupied since what happened to Miki. I guess it’s the opposite for you?”

“But I do keep busy!” Eri protested. “Saturday I went shopping with Sayu and Koha-chan, and Sunday I practiced my religion.”

Reina grimaced to the floor, still clutching her foot. Shopping. She had a feeling it might be a while before she did something quite that novel again. And… religion? She looked up at Eri, whose wide innocent eyes stared back insistently. “What religion do you practice anyway? I don’t think I’ve ever heard you mention it before.”

“Oh it’s quite complex,” Eri said, nodding to make sure Reina knew exactly how complex she was implying. “I’d tell you a bit about it but I imagine you wouldn’t understand. Maybe sometime…”

“That’s all right,” Reina said, releasing her foot and pulling her knees up to hug them against her chest. “I don’t need any more spiritual enlightenment at the moment anyway.”

Eri nodded wisely, apparently quite agreed that was the best thing to do. Reina wondered what her dear friend regarded as so complex and almost barked a laugh.

“So you were busy this weekend, huh?” Eri asked in one more futile attempt.

“Yep.”

Reina hopped up and nearly bounced over to the floor for the next rehearsal. She heard Eri follow behind, although she didn’t look back.

“Excellent energy, Tanaka-san!” the choreographer crowed in a bubbly voice. “If everyone shares your effort, we should be done in half an hour!” She then quickly pulled all the girls together and they ran through the set for their encore. After an hour passed, they were still seemingly endlessly waving their hands and making peace signs. Reina was becoming bored after having done it perfectly since fifteen minutes after they started, but praise from the choreographer – “That’s exactly how it should be done! Why doesn’t everyone have Tanaka-san’s energy?” – didn’t seem to have much of an effect. Reina was very conscious of a feeling of being watched the whole time, though, and she knew by whom.

After the day of rehearsal was up, Reina still felt energized and ready to do anything. Maybe what she was being forced to go through wasn’t that bad after all. The girls all filed out of the studio and said their otsukaresama deshitas before reaching the freedom of the hallway. Reina chatted a little with a few of the other girls and was turning a corner while talking to Risa and Sayu when they ran into a few of the members of C-ute, including her imouto-chan she hadn’t seen since the memorial.

“Airin, hi!” she said cheerfully. “Are you guys having rehearsal today too?”

The other girl smiled enthusiastically back at her. “Yes, we were just on our way there! I’ve just come from school with Leader and Chisa-chan. It’s nice to see you!” The two girls she named bowed and greeted the three Musume when Airi mentioned them.

“So what have you been up to lately?” Reina asked, happy with the diversion from what has become her daily life.

“Oh, we just started up rehearsals again over the weekend,” the young but talented girl responded. “They were worried about us, but I don’t think any of us are having trouble really. It’s sad about Miki…” she paused a second, bowing her head, “But none of us really knew her that well aside from the few that backed her up in her videos years ago. And that was, well, years ago…”

Risa nodded at Airi’s words. “Yeah. Miki kind of kept to herself even among most of us. It’s too bad… I know I wish I’d gotten to know her better.”

Reina piped up immediately after Risa finished speaking, eager to change the subject. “So what have you guys been rehearsing the last few days? I haven’t kept track of what all you have coming out.”

Airi laughed at that and poked Reina in the arm. “You haven’t?! I’m hurt!” she said, and held her hands beneath her eyes, mocking crying.

“Airin-chan, be nice!” Maimi grinned, and looked to the Musume. Reina felt that the leader of C-ute would fit quite well with Morning Musume’s image. She was a hell of a lot more sophisticated-looking than Koharu, for example. That damn kid… she thought as the girl came into her mind. She looked around to see no one but the six of them in the passage. She’d have to look her up sometime and harass her a little more. Ai had told her a bit of what was going on with her, and she was eager to take care of that little issue as soon as possible.

Maimi went on in an explanatory tone, “Actually, we’re picking up again with recording of our new album, Cutie Queen 2. It’s been tough without Megu-chan, but we’re doing our best!” She said that last very proudly as if to convince the three Musume she was keeping her troupe in line. She didn’t notice Airi and Chisato giggle softly and roll their eyes at it as well. “Hopefully we’ll get someone from your 8th gen auditions, too. Someone like that Satou. She’s our age, and I think her voice would go perfectly with Airin-chan’s!”

Sayu smiled cutely at C-ute’s leader and spoke up finally herself, “I know! She seems very talented, but I’m just not sure if she’d fit in with us… She looks too much like Nii-chan here, and one of those is all we can handle I think!”

“He~y…” Risa whined, and punched a giggling Sayu in the arm playfully.

Reina cleared her throat, grinning herself. This was too good of an opportunity, and she was going to make the best of it she could while she had the chance. “If Nii-chan will stop molesting my friends…” - “I’m not molesting!” Risa protested with puffed cheeks – “…Would you guys like to talk more? We have tons to catch up on! There’s a coffee and tea shop just down the street. Would you join us if you have time before your rehearsal starts?”

Airi and Chisato both looked at their leader, who gave a quick nod. “Yeah. We have a little time. We were just going to chill for a while before it started, but I’m sure we’d have much more fun with you guys too!” The other two girls turned and beamed to the three Musume.

They turned to walk toward the elevator, and all the girls began chatting among themselves. Airi hung on Reina’s sleeve. “Nee-chan, I’m so happy to see you! Where have you been the past week?”

“Hey Gaki-san, you know I absolutely love your solo songs, and I haven’t gotten the chance to tell you how awesome you sounded in Koe on the last tour!” Chisato gushed. “I’m kind of scared… For some reason they’ve given me a solo song on our next album! Do you have any tips?”

“Yassui-chan, have you been training a lot? You seem a lot more… fit… than I remember…” Sayu said, giving Maimi quite an appraisal and frowning down at her own legs and stomach. The other girl blushed profusely.

Ahh, it’s nice to have things back to normal for at least a short while on an evening… Reina thought. As they passed a crossing corridor, her awareness caused her to look sharply down it at a figure standing still and watching them. She stared for the split-second they passed and gave a lightning-quick shake of her head that she knew the other would notice. She didn’t need baby-sitting now. As the figure fell out of sight and they continued on, she thought with confidence that it wouldn’t be long before she never needed it again.

It was a fun time, albeit short, as the six girls chatted over coffee and tea. Reina didn’t have a drink herself, despite the urges of her friends, telling them that she just wasn’t thirsty. She wasn’t; but that wasn’t all of it. Regular tea just seemed to have lost its appeal lately, and she was already way too wired for any coffee. It made her happy though… She was able to keep up easily with the kids. It made her feel young again and not like a girl who just turned seventeen. Seventeen… Damn, she was getting old. Well, thankfully it seemed to be stopping a little!

After only a half hour or so the C-ute girls had to leave, hugging each of the Musume and reaffirming that they should hang out more often. Just before she left, Airi told Reina that she was looking forward to getting together with her and Miya for Aa! practice for the upcoming short H!P winter concert tour. Reina didn’t even know they would be getting together for that. The young girl sure did keep well-informed. Nonetheless, it made her excited. She loved working with her two kouhai, even though sometimes it seemed they stole the stage from her. Well, she’d see if that would still be the case from now on.

When the C-uties were gone Reina sat lounging in her chair while Risa and Sayu delicately sipped their respective drinks. “Well, that was fun wasn’t it?” Sayu said smiling after softly setting her tea back on the table.

“U~n,” Risa chimed, smacking her lips after the sip of her own cappuccino. “It’s nice to hang out with girls who have as much energy as me sometimes,” she said, grinning at a now pouting Sayu and wonky eye rolling Reina. “Although…” she continued, “Reina-chan seems to be besting me at that today.” She gave the girl in question a skeptical look. “I guess I just can’t keep the energy anymore at my age,” she said wistfully, stretching creaking bones in a perfect image that just begged for pity.

“Be careful there or you might break something,” Reina said, hardly stifling a giggle. Risa gave her a mock affronted glare.

“So Reina-chan…” Sayu said slowly and with a cutely serious expression, sliding the tip of a finger along the rim of her cup. “I heard from Eri that you wouldn’t tell her what you were up to all weekend. I hope it wasn’t anything too scandalous. I’m sure we’d hate to see you in Friday again.”

Reina leaned forward, the front feet of her chair hitting the floor from being raised in her lounging. “I told her why I was busy,” she mumbled. “Nah, I don’t think you guys will be seeing me in Friday anytime soon,” she said louder and with a wink.

Risa chuckled a little, looking down at and playing with her cup. “Hopefully none of us will be in Friday ever again…” she said ponderingly, with quick peering glances up at Reina.

Reina took a hint and looked over to Sayu. “Sayumin, would you hold the table for us? I need to use the washroom.” She glanced now to Risa. “Would you like to join?” Risa nodded and the two rose from the table.

Sayu pouted. “He~y…!” she said, “Oh fine, you two run off without me. I’ll just sit here. Alone. And look cute.”

“You do that,” Risa said with a wink and pointed finger, and the two girls walked off leaving the Ichiban Kawaii behind.

Reina and Risa didn’t say anything until they entered the washroom, and once there Reina went to a sink to peer into the mirror as if to fix her makeup. “So… how are you doing?” she asked the other girl, who was pulling at part of her hair for some reason.

“I’m okay,” she responded. “I went back to the club Saturday night but couldn’t find out about anything that happened last week.”

Reina nodded understandingly. “Well, if anything does happen again, we’ll make sure you’re safe,” she said reassuringly.

The other girl looked over at her. “We?”

“Mhm. Ai-chan and I.”

Risa stared at her. “Ai-chan? What does she have to do with anything that involves me?” There was a hint of bitterness and anger in her voice.

Reina turned to her. “Ai-chan and I have become… close lately,” she said in explanation. “She knows that something happened to you – don’t give me that look Nii-chan, I didn’t tell her, she just knew – and between the two of us we’ve decided to do our best to make sure you’re safe from now on.”

“Safe?!” Risa yelped. “I don’t need you two to take care of me! I’m even older than you at least and plenty able to take care of myself, thank you very much!”

“Oh,” Reina said nonchalantly and turned back to the mirror to pick at an eyelash. “Didn’t you tell me you woke up nearly undressed in a hotel room you didn’t remember going to?” She tensed herself, knowing what would come, eager to put some of her new skills to the test.

From beside her in the mirror as well as through her burgeoning instincts, she noticed the girl lunging at her from the side. Before Risa reached her however, Reina felt as if time slowed down and she spun rapidly to the side to face her assailant, reaching out to take a firm grip on the girl’s shoulders, and as time sped up again her lips left the girl’s nose after a quick and light kiss. Risa was stopped dead in her tracks and stared stunned at the girl who held her.

“You’d better be careful Nii-chan. How quickly you forget the talk we had last week. You wouldn’t want me to get frisky now, would you?” she said, grinning.

Risa stared into the grinning face across from her that showed surprising tenderness and empathy. Reina understood how she felt, but she had to get the girl to stop being so jumpy and sensitive all the time or she’d never be able to heal. Before long, Reina saw moisture bloom around the eyes of her senpai and relaxed her grip, allowing Risa to fall forward and hug her, now beginning to breathe heavily with tears.

Reina patted Risa’s back just a little awkwardly. She’d gotten more comfortable than she used to be in situations like this recently, but she still didn’t fully have the knack of it. At least this girl wasn’t as old as Aya and was someone she’d been close to for a while. The thought of the peach girl caused a momentary shadow to pass through her mind, and she involuntarily squeezed Risa a little tighter, but the crying girl didn’t seem to notice.

“I’m…” she began between sobs, “I’m sorry Reina. I should have told you the truth from the beginning. I suppose I didn’t fully trust you yet.” She pulled back slightly from Reina’s chest and looked her in the eyes, sniffing. “I… do remember what happened that night. I had a few drinks, but not that many. Just enough to get me a little wound up, especially after what had happened earlier with you and Ai-chan.” Reina tried to picture the girl wound up as she claimed to have been – that is, more so than usual. She failed.

Risa’s sniffling seemed to get better, and Reina offered her a tissue she accepted graciously before continuing. “And then…” The sound of a door opening interrupted her, and the two girls both snapped their heads to look at the culprit. The young woman who had just entered, an office-worker by the look of her, took only a step before her eyes widened while looking at the two girls standing there with their arms around each other – one of them also with a red and wet face – and bowed low, murmuring hasty apologies and slowly backing directly away, fumbling with the knob before exiting the room and disappearing quickly from sight.

The girls turned back to each other. “And then...” Risa resumed as if nothing had happened, “A really cute boy from some band I’ve never heard of started talking to me. I was feeling really down, and he seemed nice, so one thing led to another and…” She looked down, but Reina squeezed her arms reassuringly. Risa gave a small smile as she looked back up to Reina. “Well, we ended up in that hotel room and messed around a little bit, but then he wanted to go further than I did and wouldn’t at first take ‘no’ for an answer…” Her eyes now disassociated from Reina’s and she adopted a faraway look, as if unwillingly recounting some horrible event. “Eventually I fought him off and he called me names before pulling his clothes on and storming out. I didn’t know what to do, so I just stayed in the room and huddled under the covers until I fell asleep… After that, I woke the next morning like I told you.” Her eyes refocused on Reina toward the end and seemed to gain a little strength.

“Poor Nii-chan,” Reina said, brushing Risa’s hair back from her eyes. “Can you tell me who it was that did this to you?” she asked earnestly.

“…No,” Risa said after a slight hesitation. “I don’t want to make a big deal out of it. He did leave, after all.”

Reina nodded slowly. “I understand.” She let go of the other girl and waited until she washed her face before taking her hand. “Shall we return to Sayu? After all this time, she’ll think we’ve deserted her,” she said with a grin. “You know, that’s not a bad idea…” she said thoughtfully as they left the washroom.

They arrived at the table to find Sayu staring out the window with a vacant expression. She didn’t seem to notice the two girls as they sat down, and after a second Reina waved a hand in front of her face. “Don’t tell me you actually have become porcelain now… have you?” she asked, as the girl seemed to come back to reality and looked in surprise at the two girls who had joined her.

“Maybe I did,” she said seriously and a tad tartly. “I sure had enough time to with how long the two of you were gone. I think your tea has dried up and become a permanent part of your cup.”

Reina rolled her eyes and Sayu gave her an odd look. She surely was a strange girl. Reina wondered what was in her mind half the time. Memories of an encounter in a limousine and a cat costume flitted in her head and she shivered, poking Miss Porcelain. Hard.

“Itai~!” the girl pouted.

“Looks real enough to me,” Reina said with a smirk. She could easily mentally envision horns on the head of the girl whose pouting glare she received in return, though the only audible response was the laughter from between them of a girl re-learning being young.

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2006, 03:30:29 AM »
aww this chapter was so cute :ONshy2:

Quote from: rokun;239620

“So Reina-chan…” Sayu said slowly and with a cutely serious expression, sliding the tip of a finger along the rim of her cup. “I heard from Eri that you wouldn’t tell her what you were up to all weekend. I hope it wasn’t anything too scandalous. I’m sure we’d hate to see you in Friday again.”

wah for a second I was worried that Sayu knew about Reina+Eri!  but then I read the rest and was like whew~  lol I guess I'm just afraid of the dark side of Sayu (according to what Miki said about Sayu on Sayu's radio show) :ONsweat:

Quote from: rokun;239620

From beside her in the mirror as well as through her burgeoning instincts, she noticed the girl lunging at her from the side. Before Risa reached her however, Reina felt as if time slowed down and she spun rapidly to the side to face her assailant, reaching out to take a firm grip on the girl’s shoulders, and as time sped up again her lips left the girl’s nose after a quick and light kiss.

Kawaii~~~

aww that was my favourite part in the chapter~ suki suki~ :pen_whirl:

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2006, 07:50:50 AM »
Suki suki! Motto motto!

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »
I'm sorry it's been awhile... I've been quite busy with the end of the semester. Here's your next installment! Be sure to tell me what you think! :) I know there's more of you out there than those precious few that have commented so far...

Chapter 15 – The First Confrontation

It would be several days before Reina had virtually any time to herself again; days full of last-minute concert rehearsals as well as her other training. There were concerts coming up, too, so it didn’t look like things would die down anytime soon. At least New Year’s was coming up before long.

She was sitting in her room drinking a cup of chai while looking out the window at the falling snow. It was cold before, but winter had fallen hard lately. She didn’t mind though – it’s not like she did anything outside anyway besides traveling to and from her dual obligations. She liked the snow actually; bundled up in her coat hidden behind the veil of the falling flakes facilitated focus within herself, something she’d been working hard on lately. She thought she was really beginning to get it down, though Ai never gave her any praise. That just resulted in her trying harder thinking she was failing, but she was beginning to believe she’d never receive even a pat on the back. Whenever Ai spoke to her it was always along with a hard gaze of eyes that seemed in turmoil over something that Reina couldn’t begin to fathom. She’d been good and not asked questions like she was told, but after this length of time her curiosity was gnawing at the edges of the focus she tried so desperately to always maintain.

While deep in thought over the cup of tea, the curiosity and frustration finally won. She decided it was time to do some things herself and not just wait to rely on others to deign to give her what would likely not even be more than scant morsels of explanation and assistance. That decision resulted in the cup of chai being relegated to sitting and cooling on the table and Reina trudging through the snow toward a new destination. If she wasn’t going to get help from those who were responsible and dangled it all over her head, she would begin with those whom she did seem to have some power over.

A few blocks later, she was riding the elevator up to a mid-level floor of another hotel. When she arrived at the destination, she left the elevator and headed down the hall to the door she was looking for and rapped sharply on it. After a moment, it swung slowly inward and the bright face of a young girl appeared.

“Reina-chan,” the girl said, seemingly with surprise. After a brief hesitation she continued, “How are you? Is there something you need?”

She said no more since before the girl could blink Reina stepped in through the door and pinned her arms to her sides, kicking the door shut lightly and nearly slamming the girl to the wall near the washroom door. All that showed from the girl now were wide eyes full of fear.

“My dear Koharu-chan…” Reina began, “I think you and I have some things to settle. And maybe discuss.” The younger girl opened her mouth over and over but no sound came out.

“What in the world are you doing to Koha-chan, Reina?”

Reina jerked her head to peer further into the room toward the source of the voice she didn’t expect. Upon seeing the girl who seemed quite surprised herself, Reina quickly released Koharu and unconsciously brushed off the girl’s sleeve as if she had dirtied it.

“Sayumin. Hello,” Reina said, forcing a smile onto her face. “I didn’t expect to see you here.” There was a long pause after that, but none of the girls spoke. Reina stared at Sayu while the other two stared at Reina. Koharu seemed too petrified to even move away from the wall. “It’s just a little greeting game Koha-chan and I play, right Koha-chan?” She now glanced at the younger girl, danger reflected in the daggers in her eyes.

Koharu coughed. “Umm. Yes. Sayumin, you know how strange Reina is. She insists on silly things like that.” The girl finally moved, flashing Reina a triumphant and smug look before taking a seat on the couch.

Sayu still didn’t seem totally convinced. “I see. Well, I’m not surprised. Reina doesn’t tell me everything, after all.” Reina received a pouty look at the end of that as well before the girl took a seat next to Koharu. “So how are you, Reina? You haven’t been very sociable lately. I’ve not seen you outside of the studio except at the café that night.”

“I’m fine,” Reina said, walking over and looking around distractedly before taking a seat on the bed as if it was her worst and only choice.

“See,” Sayu said now, looking over to Koharu, “That’s the kind of attitude you shouldn’t have toward your best friend. ‘I’m great! How are you, Sayumin?’ ‘I’ve been having a hard time lately Sayumin, can I talk with you about it?’ Now those are more appropriate things to say.” Koharu looked straight at Reina during the girl’s whole lesson with a smirk that Sayu must have not been able to see, while Reina’s face became darker with every word.

“Sayu,” Reina asked in the sweetest voice she could muster. “I have something that I need to talk about with Koha-chan here. Do you think you could give us some time alone?”

“Anything you would need to tell Koha-chan you can talk about in front of someone who’s the best friend of both of you, right Koha-chan?” Sayu responded.

“Mhm,” Koharu mumbled sweetly. Reina thought she just kept her mouth closed to avoid bursting out in laughter.

She stared at the two for a moment before coming to her conclusion. “All right then.” Sayu’s head turned toward her in surprise. Obviously she was expecting Reina to continue to be “rude” as she saw it. Reina suppressed the urge to smile. She was still a nice girl. This would be interesting.

She shifted her eyes to Koharu, whose smirk was gone in a face now slightly clouded with uncertainty. In a further attempt to show who was in charge here, she stood up and slowly paced in front of them as well. “So Koharu-chan. I’ve heard some very interesting things from Ai-chan about you. She says you’re a good lackey but you know…” she clicked her tongue, “she doesn’t really think you quite fit the bill to make it in this business.” She gave the young girl a sharp look to make sure she knew what “business” she was referring to.

Sayu chose to interrupt now, of course. Reina had been waiting for it. “But… She’s doing great! By herself she’s already outsold all of the rest of us. I think it’s because of her wonderful training, don’t you Koha-chan?” she asked, looking eagerly and proudly at the girl sitting next to her. Reina suppressed a giggle.

“Um…” Koharu said, seeming slightly off-balance. Good… “I think so, but… I still have a long way to go, I think.” She said that last with a small look up at Reina.

“That’s ridi-” Sayu began.

Reina cut her off, smiling warmly. “Well that may be,” she replied over the cutely affronted girl, “but the thing is…” she clicked her tongue again, “I can’t take the risk that you’ll ever be able to succeed.” She stood still now just in front of the girl she was addressing. “Because you see, I just don’t think we work well together. When you first came into the group you took my place as the youngest. Now, in other things, you’re in my way too. While you haven’t been important enough yet, the way I know you operate I just don’t think is too good for how I think the business should be run - the way I know Ai-chan wants it run too even though she may not show it too much.”

“But Ai-chan-” Koharu began before being cut off by Reina again.

“I know, I know. You don’t think Ai-chan thinks the same way I do. You have her up on a mysterious pedestal that you think just represents the power you desire. That’s all it is to you. I assumed you would be dumb enough not to see past that, and I’m happy to see I’m not mistaken.” She gave the girl a large smile, a girl who now had emotions in her face warring among fear, anger, and shock.

“Excuse me!” Sayu said, standing and stepping close to Reina. “I have no idea what you two are talking about, but you have no right to barge in here and call her names! Now, somebody had better tell me what’s going on, or else I am going to get angry!”

“But you’re so cute when you’re angry!” Reina responded, lifting a hand to pinch the girl’s reddening cheek. “But… I need you to sleep now.” With a flick of her arm, Reina released the girl’s cheek and lowered her hand to bring her elbow up to give a measured blow with her tensed arm to the side of Sayu’s head, and the girl crumpled into Reina’s quickly extended arms. Setting her carefully down on the couch, she turned back to the wide-eyed girl who was now basically alone in the room with her.

She didn’t do anything but smile though before squeezing in-between Koharu and the now-unconscious Sayu on the couch and draping an arm around the younger girl’s shoulders. Koharu looked like she wanted to bolt up and run, but for some reason she didn’t.

“Now, Baby Girl…” Reina started. “I know you have dreams of doing something greater than a little singing career. But, you know what? I want to make sure you know that it’s not going to happen, at least in the way you want it to right now.”

Koharu began to open her mouth, but Reina shushed her by laying a finger against it. “You were a help to Ai-chan in the past no doubt, but now that I’m here our goals have… changed, and there’s no longer room for you.” The girl began to adopt an angry look, and Reina softened her tone. “I’m sorry. I know what this meant to you. I know that you think by following Ai-chan around and calling her Mistress and doing those things you think are important you have power; you’re greedy for it. The only problem is… You do have power. But… you don’t understand everything that comes with it. I don’t understand everything that comes with it yet, but I know it’s something you don’t want to mess with.”

Koharu took Reina’s wrist and pulled her hand away from her mouth so she could speak, which she did in a low and dangerous voice. “I have the right to make my own decisions, you know. I don’t need you and Mistress deciding it for me. In fact, I don’t even believe Mistress agrees with you that I should… leave… so you know what? I’m not going to.”

Something flashed in Reina’s eyes and she quickly reversed the girl’s hold on her wrist, grabbing Koharu’s own as well as her other, and pinned them behind the girl’s back, pulling her midsection sharply forward, ending up with their bodies close and her face centimeters from Reina’s. The girl adopted a slight look of fear once again.

“I’m not going to let you play your stupid little child-like games for the sake of greed of power and potentially cause problems for my plans,” she hissed briskly. “You’re too young for me to hold you responsible for your actions, but I’m not going to let them continue.”

She slowly released her hold on the girl, who now really looked like she wanted to take off and run. A moan came from behind Reina. Apparently Sayu was beginning to stir again.

“Koharu, please,” she firmly insisted, “You have a great thing going for you being in Morning Musume. You have an even better thing going in your solo career with anime. Stick with that. You don’t want to follow Ai-chan and I into wherever we’re going.”

The other girl seemed to finally relax and calm down a bit, apparently affected by Reina’s sincerity, and no doubt by her show of power as well. “So why are you doing it?” It was a simple question, and all she said.

Reina took a moment to respond, the only sounds during that time coming from the whimpering girl behind her. “I didn’t want to,” she said very quietly, “But then things started happening that pulled me into something bigger than anything I had thought about before. It started with Miki’s accident… if not before…”

The other girl gave her a curious look, and Reina gave her a stare in return. She didn’t even know what she meant, because she didn’t even know about the accident, and Reina wasn’t about to tell her. Not ready, indeed.

“I still don’t know all that’s going on, but I feel I’m on the right path to doing something about it. I’m through with just listening to and watching everybody else. I… I feel it’s my destiny, whatever “it” is. If you insist on fighting me, think about it. What do you really know about Ai-chan? Isn’t what she does a little strange?” She left her with that thought for a moment, while she thought about the same thing herself. She now realized the real reason why she came here.

“Ai-chan?” spoke a small voice from behind her. “What’s going on with her? Is she graduating or something?” There was a pause; Koharu and Reina kept staring at each other. “Did I faint?”

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2006, 10:41:01 PM »
Some of you are going to hate me for this, for many reasons. If so, I apologize, but this is Reina's story. :)

Chapter 16 – Daggers in the Night

I am pleased to extend an invitation for you to attend the ninth annual Hello! Project Christmas Celebration. The dinner and reception will be held the evening of Sunday the twenty-fourth of December in the Park-Hyatt Tokyo ballroom. Note that this is for the artists and staff of Hello! Project only. No fans or other non Up Front Works personnel will be allowed in the area.

Please come and join us for festivities as well as a short all-project meeting to discuss the coming year.

~ Tsunku♂

Reina folded the card carefully and stuffed it into her coat pocket before slowly swinging the door shut behind her. The invitation was just a formality of course – they’ve been talking about the celebration and preparing for it for weeks now. Now, it was just a few hours away and she was becoming excited. This was always the best work party of the year, and her first few had been memorable. This year should be memorable too, though there will be the somber shadow hanging over it from Miki’s death a month ago. Well, she was sure they wouldn’t dwell on that long. However, it would basically be their last formal farewell to her…

She knocked on a door down the hall and heard a muffled yell from inside that she couldn’t make out. Taking it to indicate she should wait a minute, she backed up to the opposite wall and lounged against it.

While waiting, she fell into the focused concentration of the training she had now been at for half a month. It was beginning to be almost natural to her. Despite her earlier curiosity about Ai’s lack of any sort of praise, she felt she was coming along quite well. She saw something in Ai’s glances at her as well that told her the girl was impressed. Actually, she was beginning to wonder if she was learning faster than Ai herself did. The lack of words other than the orders of what to do Ai gave her in their sessions had begun to be suspicious to her, and anytime she caught her eyes they seemed to indicate a girl lost in contemplation of plans unknown to Reina. After all the long nights of silence, Ai had finally spoken to her over a cup of their special tea last night.

They sipped their tea under the kotatsu like they did at around this time every night while Reina worked on her focusing exercises, a thing much enhanced by the warmth and strength of the tea they drank. They never spoke a word while sitting there, so Reina was so surprised that her focus completely shattered when she heard Ai’s voice ring out suddenly from across the table.

“I want to… thank you for your eagerness to learn what I can teach you. Before you joined me I was worried about being alone, even though I was doing my best, and that something would happen to me as almost inevitably happens to those in my particular… position… especially those who have risen as quickly as I did. But…” She finally raised her eyes to catch those of the girl watching her intently, eager to glean whatever she could from the unusually fortunate openness of the girl across from her. “Now, I don’t feel that I’m alone anymore. I feel that…” It seemed like Ai’s face softened to an extent Reina didn’t believe she’d seen in months. “...I feel that I have someone I can potentially trust - someone that thinks the same as me, has the same experiences as me – someone that was forced into gaining maturity that she didn’t want yet, but tries her hardest to do her best in spite of the circumstances and… in spite of the one in command of her.”

Reina kept looking into Ai’s face, not knowing what to say. Ai had hinted before that she was dragged against her will into this organization that was still a mystery to her. Despite that, Reina hated her for what she did to her, yet…

The girl continued on. “Now that I have you, if I can truly gain your trust, I believe that you and I together can set things right again. We can be rid of at least one evil that exists in this world, and set the souls of our… dear friends…” A shadow seemed to pass over the girl’s eyes at that, and she lowered them again. “…at ease.”

Reina lowered her eyes, too. If the girl was going to be frank, then she would dare to be frank as well. She looked back up and spoke. “You talk of trust,” Reina said in a low voice. The girl’s eyes came back up to look into hers. “How am I supposed to trust you?” She paused between each of her sentences. “How am I supposed to trust someone who has admitted to killing someone who was a friend to us both? How am I supposed to trust someone who virtually blackmailed me into… joining… with you?” Reina lowered her eyes again and drank another sip of her tea. “I do my best as you say I do, but I want you to know…” She raised her gaze again, this time giving the other girl a look through eyes of white-hot fire. “I want you to know that I will
never become like you.”

After holding Ai’s intense gaze for a moment longer, she broke it and slowly swigged the last of her tea. While the cup was held in front of her face, she heard the other girl pull out from the kotatsu. Lowering the cup, she looked up to see Ai standing across from her, eyes staring at nothing in particular.

“We’re done for the night,” she said with a tight voice. “You should get some rest. You’ll want to be alert for the party tomorrow.” Then she turned and disappeared into another room.

“Oy! Reina!” a voice said, breaking her from her contemplation. Reina turned to watch the girl approach her from down the hall. “Were you spacing out again? You seem to do that a lot lately. And I thought I’ve been bad at it!”

Reina smiled at the girl. “Yeah. I dunno… I guess I’ve been really tired after all our rehearsing lately. I know the Kouhaku is coming up, but still…” She stretched muscles that felt perfectly fit. She wasn’t tired at all of course; in fact, she felt in better shape than she ever had before in her life. Giving the girl who had come up to her a better look, she continued, “You look gorgeous, Gaki-san. You should wear pink and red more often.” The girl wore an elegant dress that was slim-fitting yet frilly at the collar and cuffs. She was jealous of what she saw at the girl’s low neckline.

Risa blushed slightly. “Thank you. I usually try to go with a bluer outlook on things, but you know I can’t do that all the time, especially tonight,” she said with a wink, and Reina giggled.

The girl gave her outfit an evaluation and seemed about to mention her appraisal when the clicking of the door came from a few feet away in front of Reina.

“I’m sorry!” a girl in a long green dress beneath her leather jacket said as she closed the door behind her. Reina couldn’t help but stare at her. Her dress bowed out slightly above her knees but below a belt that sparkled silver. Small blue ribbons also crisscrossed along its length up to blue feathers that stuck out from above her bust, giving her an elegant neckline that did not dip.

After a moment of staring at the girl hurriedly making sure she had everything ready, Reina didn’t notice the girl’s own eyes finally looking over at her. “Are you seriously going to the party in seifuku, Reina-chan?” Eri asked, eyes wide, bringing Reina out of the trance she had fallen into.

“Of course!” Reina said defensively. She pulled back her coat a bit to show more of the outfit. "The tie is silk, and don’t you think its red goes well with the velvet black of the dress?” She twirled around as if to show how smoothly the skirt would flow when she danced.

“Okay…” Eri responded with uncertainty. She nodded to Risa and they started walking down the hall. After a meter or two Reina heard her whisper under her breath toward Risa, “I still say it makes her look like a sukeban.”

Reina ran up and wedged herself between them. “Hey, I heard that!” She heard Risa giggle from beside her. “And yes, that’s supposed to be the point! Sukeban-style is in this year, you know. Just ask Ayaya and Rika-chan.” The other girls rolled their eyes.

…

After a limo ride that seemed longer than it should have been, the three girls arrived at the hotel and unloaded in the valet area between lines of stern-looking security guards. Beyond them were scattered fans and paparazzi trying to snap pictures of the girls and others arriving, and they definitely became a bit more aggressive when these three stepped lightly out of the car. They passed through the security smiling and nodding, giving peace signs and other signature poses of themselves to those who managed to get clear shots, before making their ways inside and toward the ballroom foyer. At one of the entrances stood a guard who smiled at them and asked for their invitations. Reina and Risa pulled theirs out and handed them to the man, but were held up while Eri dug through her handbag.

“Oh no! I thought I put it in here this morning! Where did it go?!” she cried in a frantic voice. With her attention focused on the bag, she didn’t notice the grins coming from her friends.

The doorman broke their fun however, quickly interjecting, “Miss Kamei, if you can’t find your invitation it’s nothing to worry about. We just have them to keep an air of formality and organization about these proceedings. As the guest list is quite exclusive, everyone here knows who you are and where you belong.” Despite his seeming formality, the man himself couldn’t hide a grin as he finished. The look caused the other two girls to break out fully in giggles.

Eri looked around at them all, scandalized. “What! You mean they’re not required? But it says I need to bring it…” The doorman stepped aside, gesturing them in with a flourish, and Reina and Risa each took the third girl by an arm and pulled her in along with them.

Since it was still over an hour until the dinner would start, the girls chatted among themselves and posed for pictures what seemed like every minute. Before long, Sayu came and joined up with them, and the rest of the girls from the project who weren’t already there. Sayu mostly spoke with Eri and Koharu, not offering much to Reina aside from yet another comment about her outfit. Reina responded by giving yankee poses at every opportunity. She was cool, damn it. Koharu of course didn’t speak to her at all. Reina didn’t think they’d said two words to each other since the night Reina visited her room.

The other girls greeted Reina and they exchanged a few words, except for Airi and Miyabi who came together and chatted with her a few minutes about their upcoming rehearsals together – they would be starting after the New Year – and Ai, who nodded at Reina, otherwise giving her no words along with an inscrutable look.

After all the socializing, dinner began, and Reina enjoyed sashimi along with delicious sukiyaki and tempura dishes, though didn’t talk a whole lot because she was seated with the rest of Morning Musume by seniority, which put her between Sayu and Koharu. The eighth gen girls didn’t sit with them because they had a special table nearer the head since this party was partly a celebration for them as well as the holiday and end of the year.

“Can you pass the soy sauce?” Sayu asked casually, and Reina handed it her way. As the girl began pouring it, without looking up she continued speaking, “I notice you’ve been by yourself a lot this evening, including right now.”

Reina gulped the food she had in her mouth and opened it in protest, “No I haven’t. I’ve talked with plenty of…”

“Oh have you?” Sayu interrupted, delicately cutting her noodles. “I wouldn’t say Miya and Airin count, would you? They are just kids after all. They can’t be more than pets to you. And as for Eririn and Gaki-san…” She leaned down to take a bite, but pulled fully back to daintily chew, giving Reina a view of the other side of her. Beyond, Reina saw Eri and Risa chatting with each other and laughing, clearly enjoying themselves, while Reina was stuck between Miss Priss and Baby Girl. She stopped looking and leaned low over her food, stuffing more in her mouth and glowering at the tablecloth.

“Things don’t have to be that way, you know. For example, we used to be best friends. You never talk to me any more lately though. Right, Koha-chan?” she asked, glancing over Reina’s head to the girl on her other side.

“Mhm,” Koharu said in a low mumble, her mouth stuffed with food. After a moment, apparently long enough for her to chew and swallow, she continued, “Reina doesn’t like to play with others. She’ll never have any friends. Her sukeban outfit tonight fits her perfectly.”

Suddenly, Reina lifted her head up and laid her chopsticks over her bowl, following by pushing her chair back and standing. “Excuse me, I need to use the washroom.” She laid her napkin on her chair and set off away from the table, not looking back.

When she reached the washroom, she dampened a towel and dabbed it along her face before letting her hands fall to the sink and beginning to cry. She hardly knew why she was doing it. She knew who her friends were. She was even learning to be strong and powerful. Why then did she feel like crying…

While crying, she ducked into one of the stalls and just sat there, holding a tissue beneath her eyes so her makeup wouldn’t get too ruined. She didn’t know how long she was there, but she heard Tsunku’s voice from outside, obviously amplified by a microphone, introducing the eighth generation and telling everyone a bit about them. When he seemed to be about done, she heard the washroom door swing open and someone walk in on heels. She tried to stop her sniffing, but apparently she was still too loud, and she could see the feet of whoever it was turn from what appeared to be the sink.

“Who’s there?” a voice rang out smoothly and somewhat cutely. “Is someone crying?” Reina held her hand to her mouth and nose, trying to cover up whatever sounds might come from them. She recognized the voice. She saw the feet walk toward her stall, however, and pause just a meter or so away. “If so, why are you crying tonight? This should be a happy night for everybody!” There was a slight pause. “Well, almost everybody…” The voice wasn’t as cheerful now, though it was far from depressed. It was more… contemplative. “Whatever’s wrong, it will get better. I’ve spent too much time crying in the washroom myself lately, as well as at home, at…” There was another pause, and the girl’s voice seemed to regain some strength. “But I’ve been better lately. I’ve pointed my emotions to where they might actually be able to do some good.” Reina tried to hold herself still and not move a bit, but she couldn’t help a small shiver. “Are you sure you won’t come out? I can tell you it’s really not worth it just to stay in there and cry…”

Reina heard something in the girl’s voice, and for some reason, despite all better judgment, she rose from her seat and unlocked the stall door, swinging it open and slipping out, coming face-to-face with the girl who had been speaking to her.

“Oh, it’s you…” the girl said, and she seemed torn between wanting to turn away and looking at the redness below Reina’s eyes.

Reina took her hand away from her mouth and swallowed before responding. “Hey, Aya-chan.”

“Hey,” the other girl responded. After a moment when all the two of them could hear was Tsunku’s voice from outside, she went on, “I haven’t seen you in a while.” Reina nodded, trying her hardest not to burst into tears again. Whatever internal battle was going on in Aya’s mind, one side seemed to come out on top, and she approached Reina, draping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her toward the sinks. “Come on,” she said. “You look like a mess. Let’s get you made up so you can go back out there, because despite whatever it was that sent you in here crying, I’m sure you don’t want to miss tonight.”

Then she helped Reina wash her face and let her use some makeup she had brought with her to try to hide the marks left by her crying. After a few minutes, Tsunku had finally stopped speaking and Aya put the last of the eye shadow back in her handbag. “There we go!” She stood behind Reina, holding her shoulders, looking into the mirror along with her at a face that no one would be able to tell had just been streaked with tears. “You’re all ready to go back out there, finish your meal, and start dancing!”

With a smile, the older girl turned and headed for the door. “Thank you…” Reina struggled to say.

Aya turned back to smile at her. “Don’t think of it. You helped me out too, after all.” She then lowered her head, as if hesitantly wondering whether to say something. “I’m sorry about what I said to you a few weeks ago, by the way. I just… Well, you know what I was like back then. Still am, to some extent. I don’t think you would ever do anything to one of our friends. Plus…” She looked up again. “I’ve been talking with a detective and it sounds like he’s making some progress in his investigation. You aren’t in any way a subject in it.” She smiled at that last, but then her voice began to take on a firmer quality. “We’ll still get to the bottom of this and make whoever was responsible for Mikitty’s death pay, though. I swear to that. So don’t worry, it’ll all be well.” She smiled again encouragingly after that, apparently realizing she was getting a bit too serious for the moment.

Reina tried to smile back at her. “Thanks. I’m sure it will be.” Aya nodded at that and left the room. Reina heaved a sigh and followed. It sure would be.

She returned to the table as everyone was finishing up and beginning to rise for dancing and random socializing. Eri and Risa asked where she’d been. You missed the new girls! They were so cute… She smiled and joined them for some talk. Sayu and even Koharu eventually joined in. Things seemed to be going well. After a bit of talking and once the music started up, some of the girls began dancing, and Reina and the others joined them. It really was a memorable time, and it seemed like they danced for hours. Even Ai was rather congenial to everyone and happily danced along, something Reina was glad to see, though she thought it was a little strange.

Eventually, Reina felt like she couldn’t take any more, even though she could of course, and went to refill her drink. She looked around to see where everyone was. The kids were mostly getting ready to leave – the ones who had family near wanted to spend time with them tonight still – and a few of the other girls were scattered around. Koharu was once again talking her head off to Sayu, and for once the other girl seemed genuinely interested. She was glad to see that. Maybe those two would get back to normal at least. Ai was nowhere to be seen, and neither was Eri. Even if she wasn’t tired after all the dancing, she was definitely hot, and she hoped to take advantage of it before the euphoria went away, so she took a sip of the punch and headed off to look for the other girl.

She didn’t find her in the ballroom, so she searched the washroom and eventually headed out into the foyer. It was quieter in there since most everyone was still enjoying themselves in the ballroom, but there were a few people, mostly hotel staff, rushing around. She made her way out of that room even and down a hall, passing security guards standing sentry next to the closed doors to the area. Nobody could come in, but of course nobody could go out either unless they were finished for the night and had an escort. Further down the hall it was much quieter, without much sound, and she found her way into another large room probably not much smaller than the ballroom, which was dark except for dim soft sconces along the walls and the lights of the city coming in through the huge windows composing what seemed the entirety of the outer wall. She walked through there quietly, thinking she probably shouldn’t even be in there, and was about to leave when she heard some noises coming from a corner of the room. She headed softly toward the sound, but could only see two forms close together on a couch. At this distance, she couldn’t make out who they were. Curious as to what new scandal this might indicate though, she tiptoed closer, trying to sneak up on the couple, and eventually got close enough to make out facial features. When it hit her what she was seeing, she stopped cold.

There were two small-looking girls cuddled up on the couch, making out. Their arms were around each other and Reina could only catch the sides of their faces, but that was enough. Distinguishing Risa’s round cheeks and Eri’s short hair made the overall features click in her head, and her mind went blank.

She stared at the two making out for a long minute, her head pounding and no thought seeming to come into it, before she slowly backed away and spun around, sneaking back toward the door as quickly as she could while trying to make as little sound as possible. Apparently she wasn’t fully successful.

“Who’s that? Is someone there?” she heard one of them whisper quickly. She kept moving. She was almost to the door.

“Gaki-san,” the other whispered. The quiet stillness of the room helped the sound reverberate loudly into Reina’s ears. “There’s no paparazzi in here, are there? I don't want to get into trouble…”

Reina didn’t hear any more before she made the door and dashed out, now running down the hall despite calls of protest from the staff and guards. She didn’t know where she was going, but she knew she had to be far away from that room.

Eventually, though she didn’t know how she got there, she made her way to a wide balcony, and darted out into the cold December air. Crossing her arms, though not really feeling the chill, she headed to the rail and stood in front of it, looking out into the bustling city. The wind played through her hair, making her look like a phantom in the night.

She just stood there and stared for a good while until she heard steps behind her, ending just back and to the side. “I suppose I should have expected to see you here,” she said, not looking back. “It’s all I need tonight.”

There was no response, but the steps resumed again and this time she felt the presence right behind her, and arms reached around to cradle her own, still crossed over her chest. Eventually, a voice did speak over her shoulder. “You know I’m always around,” it said. “Although, I truly do wish you would have been able to remember this night for other reasons.”

Reina finally focused her eyes and turned around to look into the face of the girl who held her. “I do too,” she said, with an unwavering gaze and dry eyes.

Ai released her hold and stepped back slightly, still looking strongly at Reina. “There still might be something to make of this night… if you don’t want to just give up.”

Reina smiled and almost barked a laugh. “Give up? After what I’ve already been through? With everything that’s happened, how could anything get any worse?”

Ai smiled, though it seemed distant to Reina. “How indeed.” She cast a glance past Reina to the city for a moment before focusing her attention back to the girl in front of her. “You’ve been coming along well, and that hasn’t gone unnoticed.” Reina could tell the girl didn’t mean just by her. “I’ve been given new orders, and I’ve been told that I’m to offer them to you as your first real duty. It’s meant to be a sort of… initiation, to prove your loyalty, and your skill, and your courage.” There seemed something behind Ai’s voice as she spoke, but Reina couldn’t tell what. In any case, she listened intently, glad to stay distracted from other things assaulting her mind and heart, her dress and tie flowing in the breeze. After a short pause, Ai finished, “You’re to kill Aya Matsuura.”
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:50:12 PM by rokun »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2006, 02:00:10 AM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit! :shocked:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2006, 03:39:37 AM »
Ehhhhhhhhhh?! :ONscared:  Wah KameGaki?!  that was unexpected! (well I love the unpredictability of this story) but ERIRIN~ noOOooo!  :ONcool2:

Oh my god...i think this is the next theme!  In recent stories everyone's been cheating on Eri and now's she's the cheater! *crushed*

:ONgyaaah:

hehe I think I should be more shocked at the ayaya part :ONshifty: but oh my mind has gone foggy after what Reina just witnessed.

:ONfainted:

great chapter rokun!

Offline lil_hamz

• Sapphire and Nouveau... like it should've been
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • She makes every summer sweet, every moment happy
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »
Wowweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I missed 2 great chapters but heck it was worth reading it all in one goal.

Kamemame, about time XD. I've always liked this 2 together :panda_love:

And I quote JFC.... OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTtt :panda_omg2:

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2006, 05:42:48 AM »
Kamemame is becoming popular now. I salute your cliched use of them and look forward to the Tanaka Kamei confrontation.

Poor Ayaya doesn't stand a chance... I wonder if Reina will go through with it?

Offline crazychickencow

• ☆Property of Reina Tanaka☆
  • Member+
  • Pimp and skank <3
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2006, 06:37:51 AM »
*waves a TanaKame flag* I shall not be swayed! XD ...but then again, I am still reading this.

|Wonky Love||Erien Files||Taka's Ho|
|my lj|
I'm a girl. As in, not a dude. The name's Lauren (AKA Rin AKA Lor AKA LaLa) but if you insist on calling me by my username don't call me "crazy" "chicken" or "cow." Do what the cool kids do and say C3 or CC.
:)

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
A Young Girl's Odyssey
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2006, 04:23:05 AM »
As a little Christmas and Turtle Day treat... How about a little divertissement from the regular fare? Lol, or... you can have this. :P This is just a little something I whipped up... I'm posting it here because it happens along the storyline of Odyssey. Although, some things might be exaggerated. Might...

A Few Days Earlier…

“Kamei, you know you’re useless, right?” Sayumi dragged her along behind while they went shopping for Christmas gifts. The girl had just been asking her what she thought they should buy Reina and she could barely say a word – just mumble something that Sayu couldn’t have heard even if she did have the pointy ears Eri sometimes thought she could see on the sides of her head.

“I don’t know why I drag you along on these shopping trips. You’re even slow as a turtle.” This trip was going no differently than any other. Still, Eri followed obediently along, not wanting to inflame the famous Usa-chan Temper. She could be the good little lapdog when the situation called for it. Actually, lately it seemed that’s what she did nearly all the time…

The two girls, Sayu looking like no more than a pink puffball in her warm and fuzzy winter garments and Eri herself looking, well… Eri-like, shopped for a good part of the afternoon until one moment Eri looked up and the other girl was nowhere to be found. She called out for her through a loudspeaker that looked curiously like a cell-phone, but for response she received nothing more than sudden bouncing walkie-bits on her screen dancing around bears bouncing upon balls to the computerized tune of Balalaika. This terrified her so, that she made her cell phone quickly disappear into parts unknown, and she wondered if it would ever materialize again. It wouldn’t be the first time that happened. Cute bears with broad fixed smiles jumping and dancing on beach balls… She couldn’t prevent another shiver from rushing chaotically through her.

Of course, now having fully forgotten why she was in the middle of a strange department store, she looked around with frantic eyes and ran for what seemed like ages until she found the exit. Once out, she wasted no time in rushing to the nearby studio.

“Kamei, what are you doing here?” a quizzical-eyebrowed Niigaki asked, accosting her as she was on her way to the dressing room. Accosting. That was a funny word. She’d have to remember it.

She looked ahead to see Risa staring back at her in bewilderment. “What? Do I have something sticking out of my head?” She quickly felt around in her hair for any potentially foreign material. It had never been proven, but she swore that sometimes she had things sticking out of her head. She wasn’t sure what she would think if she found she actually did, though. It always seemed to be worst when Gaki-san was around…

“No…” the other girl said slowly, raising a hand to lightly touch Eri’s shoulder. The touched girl shrank back unconsciously. “You know, Kamei, your strangeness never ceases to intrigue me!” With that the energetic girl pulled quickly away and skipped off into the darkness. Well, actually it was the elevator, but as far as Eri was concerned it was a steel cage that would some day drop her into the Pit of the Eternal Stench of Doom. She shivered at the thought and scampered quickly away in the other direction.

“Kamei!” Another voice accosted her with its shrillness as she left the building. She looked far up into the face of its owner, blinking between wide-eyed stares.

“Didn’t anyone tell you that we have the afternoon off? You should be at home, relaxing in your bath and listening to the newest masterpiece from Koda!”

Eri blinked, unsure how to address her Great Leader in her current predickle… pickament… predickapickle… argh!... her current sour long green vegetable. “Yocchan! Ganbarimasu!” With a big toothy smile she crisply saluted the bamboozled boss, the boss being barely able to breathe a breath of… bamboozlement, and brushed past in a brisk brandishing of boots.

All outside demons and alliteration soundly evaded, she returned to her apartment and set to her evening meal. No sooner had she sat down and uttered an “i”, a beginning syllable of the word to express her indebtedness to the Great god of Food, than it quickly lengthened to “iyyyyaaaaaaaa!!!” as she was accosted (yes, accosted!!!) by yells and bodies of every single person she had ever met. Ok, well, it was an excited cheer of “Happy Birthday!” that was given by no more than the number of girls that joined her as daughters of the fledgling sun, a number that she never really knew any more, but was definitely somewhere between five and eleven million six hundred fifty eight thousand five hundred and… seven.  The last two digits always swung between seven and ten, but it definitely felt much more like a seven lately.

She was appropriately humbled and embarrassed by the show of so much appreciation from her closest friends, but received their presents warmly. Well, almost. She had to shy away from the stuffed bear balancing on a ball that Koha-chan gave her, as it brought back memories she’d rather stay hidden in the deep, deep… deep recesses of her mind.

They enjoyed a cake prepared by… Well, she didn’t know who it was prepared by, but she hoped it wasn’t by the girl with the Usa-chan Temper. The bright smile the pigtailed girl gave her when she cast her a glance didn’t give one bit of comfort. Anyway, they enjoyed the cake prepared by Master Baker Alejandro Francois Daiichi Smith and celebrated long into the night.

Somewhere between the short and the long, Eri found herself staring out from her balcony as her friends partied joyfully back inside her apparently not-so-humble abode.

“Despite all faux love,
Alone I feel in respite.
A turtle moos.”

“Kamei-san,” a plaintiff voice called out from behind. “Are you okay? That sounded… er… depressed?”

“Aye…” the forlorn girl breathed morosely.

“A stranger I be,
Useful to no other soul.
A-feared am I.”

“…”

Eri looked back at Sayu behind her. The girl hung her head low and gazed up through eyelashes that sparkled in the night. “You know that’s beautiful.”

Eri looked at her unblinking. After a moment, she yelped when the girl suddenly accosted her, throwing her arms around her. “Eririn… I’m so proud to know you. No matter how I’m feeling, all I need to do is look into your eyes and hear your impossible words to know… it’s all okay.” She pulled back, tears glistening in her eyes and smiling.

“She’s one of a kind, isn’t she?” Risa asked, beaming as she leaned against the dark steel doorframe.

Sayu smiled and turned back to Eri. “She sure is.”

Staring in her never-broken wide-eyed stare back at the two, Eri thought she’d better check just once more to make sure nothing was sticking out of her head.

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Onaji Tsuki wo Miteta