JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Dracula

Author Topic: The First Avenger: Captain America (2011)  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The First Avenger: Captain America (2011)
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:22:22 AM »

A film entitled The First Avenger: Captain America, directed by Joe Johnston, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures, is due for release on July 22, 2011. The film will be a period piece set entirely during World War II. Filming has been booked to take place primarily at Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach, California.

The First Avenger: Captain America Full Synopsis Revealed

We already confirmed back in May after Marvel's announcement of The First Avenger: Captain America that the film would be set in WWII. But an actual plot synopsis beyond that hasn't ever been released. In the latest issue of Production Weekly, a new full plot synopsis for the project was published. I'm a bit hesitant to trust this magazine, since they seem to have a lot of information on a project that's very far out, but for now this is what we'll go with. It does seem accurate and it does seem like a great way to introduce us to Captain America before progressing into The Avengers movie just months later.

"Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy's earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment… Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the 'Super-Soldier Serum' and bombarded by 'vita-rays.' Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and leader of the Avengers."

Reading that actually makes me wonder whether they just took the standard synopsis from some sort of Marvel database and used that until the studio puts out something officially. Either way, I'm glad that they're sticking with the original Captain America story and going all the way back to WWII. That should make for the perfect introduction just months before we move into the Avengers story. No director or actors have been officially announced yet. The First Avenger: Captain America will hit theaters on May 6th, 2011 with its follow-up, The Avengers hitting theaters on July 15th, 2011.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/05/the-first-avenger-captain-america-full-synopsis-revealed/

Joe Johnston Directing Marvel's The First Avenger: Captain America

Marvel has officially announced that Joe Johnston will direct the upcoming The First Avenger: Captain America. Johnston previously directed Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Rocketeer, Jumanji, October Sky, Jurassic Park III, and Hidalgo, and also has The Wolf Man coming up in March. Johnston now joins the ranks of Jon Favreau, Louis Leterrier, and Kenneth Branagh as Marvel's dream team of directors set to turn bring the real Marvel universe to life in a series of films that will eventually converge in The Avengers in 2011. It's pure coincidence that this news hits on the same evening that I wrote about the return of WWII movies, considering The First Avenger: Captain America will be set during that time.

Marvel first met with Johnston two years ago and their meetings have continually led to Captain America. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing the film, which will be set during World War II, although no writer is attached yet. Marvel claims they are still hearing pitches on story ideas and will hire a screenwriter soon. Unfortunately Johnston isn't the most exciting choice for director, although Feige references other elements of his background to the contrary. "This is a guy who designed the vehicles for Star Wars, who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for Raiders of the Lost Ark," Feige said. "From Rocketeer to October Sky to The Wolfman, you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

Captain America was first created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon and is the alter ego of Steve Rogers. Rogers volunteered for a top-secret defense project called Operation: Rebirth after he was deemed too sickly to join the army. He was the first human test subject for the Super-Solider serum which transformed him into a human with maximum efficiency, greatly enhancing his strength and reflexes. The man who had created the serum was killed and the ability to duplicate the process was lost. Thus Captain America was born, and combined with his iconic indestructible shield, he served as both a counter-intelligence agent and a propaganda symbol to counter Nazi Germany's head of terrorist operations, the Red Skull.

I never would've imagined so many years ago while watching Honey I Shrunk the Kids or even Jumanji that the same guy who made those movies would years later bring us a live-action version of Captain America. Looking at this news now, that's not a good thought. Johnston may have been great doing behind-the-scenes work on Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark, but he's not a great director. October Sky may prove that he can direct character-driven movies, but nothing in his filmography proves that he's capable of taking on such an ambitious and highly anticipated film as Captain America. I hope my fears as wrong and, just like Jon Favreau, we find out that Johnston was the perfect choice in the end.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/09/joe-johnston-directing-marvels-the-first-avenger-captain-america/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America (2011)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:41 AM »
Joe Johnston Planning to Shoot Captain America Next June

We haven't heard much from Marvel recently about The First Avenger: Captain America, which is still slated for release in July of 2011. What we do know, though, is that Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer, Jurassic Park III, The Wolfman) is directing and the screenplay is being written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (of all three Chronicles of Narnia movies). Fangoria (via ComingSoon) just published a teaser piece for their upcoming issue that has an interview with Joe Johnston talking about Wolfman. However, near the end of the article they drop a little tidbit about Johnston's plans to start shooting Captain America in June.

Here's the key quote: "… recalls Johnston, speaking from the art department of The First Avenger: Captain America, which he's readying for a June start." Marvel is preparing to start shooting Kenneth Branagh's Thor in January (as reported here), which I'm sure will shoot at least until April. Then they'll probably take a break to support Iron Man 2's release in May before prepping a June start for Captain America. It's great to hear that this is moving along smoothly, now we just need casting. Who will be playing Cap, that's what I want to know! So which of Marvel's 2011 movies are you more excited about - Thor or Captain America?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/28/joe-johnston-planning-to-shoot-captain-america-next-june/

Offline L1mpk1d78

• ecchi
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:40:19 AM »
Do they even have a cast yet? I really want to know who's going to play Captain America.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »
Who Will Be Behind the Shield in Johnston's Captain America?

The anticipation is growing to find out who will be donning the shield for Marvel's upcoming Captain America  movie. Unfortunately, according to Deadline Hollywood, a recent disagreement between Marvel almost saw director Joe Johnston leave the project because high budget talk had the higher-ups at Marvel asking him to take a paycut. They worked it out, but now they still face the task of filling the role of the last uncast Avenger and Deadline has gotten a hold of the short list of top contenders which includes: Chace Crawford, Scott Porter, Mike Vogel, Michael Cassidy, Garret Hedlund and John Krasinski!?

Obviously speculating about a possible Captain America is almost pointless this early and really doesn't matter until we hear who is officially cast, but this gives us a further idea of what they've been looking for and who they've been looking at, and just how little star power they want/need for Captain America. After all, the offer for this first film is an almost laughable $300,000 which includes a contract for nine more films (sequels, The Avengers, whatever else Marvel wants), presumably with pay for those to be negotiated later. Of course, the actor will be playing Captain mother-effin' America, so I guess it's a decent trade-off.

This isn't exactly the most exciting casting list, but each of them has potential and appeal in their own way (click the links for photos) with the exception of one, which I'll get to later. Chace Crawford is obviously the most marketable and familiar having wooed the ladies with his work on "Gossip Girl, and he's definitely got the right look (not safe for people who don't like dudes with no shirts). Scott Porter and Mike Vogel are both in the same age range around 30 years old and really fit the bill as action figure/cookie cutter American heroes. Meanwhile Garrett Hedlund and Michael Cassidy are more low key actors in their mid 20's who would work with the right kind of past experience working on Tron Legacy and "Smallville", respectively.

But I think the elephant in the room here is John Krasinski. I'm sorry, I do love the guy, but his awkward demeanor, goofy faces and comedic sensibilities are not what Captain America needs. That doesn't mean I don't think he deserves a chance to branch out from comedy, but I think this is quite a big undertaking for his first venture out of that territory, not to mention that, despite probably being able to pull off the sickly Steve Rogers before the super soldier serum is brought into play, I just can't see him as a buff superhero.

Then again, Tobey Maguire seemed more Peter Parker than Spider-Man and I was pretty pleased with his work. Still, it's far too difficult since I'll always see Krasinski as Jim Halpert from NBC's "The Office" and since that show is still on (though it's ending soon or he's leaving?), this just seems like the most unlikely decision. Personally, I think the best choice lies in another TV star who has even auditioned for the part already and that's Ryan McPartlin from "Chuck." The guy is fit, even funny if the part calls for comedic relief, and a decent actor. He's got my vote. But unfortunately my say doesn't matter much and we'll have our Cap by March 1st, at least according to Joe Johnston.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/02/24/who-will-be-behind-the-shield-for-johnstons-captain-america/

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
Hugo Weaving will be playing "Johann Schmidt aka The Red Skull", Cap's main nemesis.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
new details!

*SPOILER*

The First Avenger will take place mostly during WWII.

It will be an origin story.

The Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) will be the villain with Arnim Zola (Toby Jones) as a secondary villain.

Cap?s sidekick Bucky (Sebastian Stan) and love interest Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) are secondary characters.

?The Howling Commandos? will be an international team of soldiers Cap works with.

The Red Skull will be using a cosmic cube as part of his nefarious plot.

The terrorist organization Hydra will be involved.

The First Avenger will open and close with Cap being frozen in ice; the WWII origin story will fit in between.

As rumored, Cap?s classic comic book costume will appear in the movie (wings and all) as part of a humorous scene where Steve Rogers (Evans) is used as a propaganda tool at a USO show.

Rogers hates the USO gig and goes to see Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper playing Tony Stark?s dad) to have a more official battlesuit created.

The Red Skull will be Hitler?s head of advanced weaponry and will seek a cosmic cube t0 harness its mystical powers for evil. The cube will be known as ?The Tesseract.?

To help the movie play better across the pond, it MAY simply go by the title of The First Avenger.*SPOILER*

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:43:33 AM »

Trailer:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:43:06 AM by wordsworth »

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »
looking at the release date, its a day late for my birthday. Saw the preview during the super bowl and it looks good.
Life is one time.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
^ lol "how do you feel"  "Taller" :lol:

saw some shit on Entertainment Tonight yest saying they had some previews but missed it tonight lol

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
Rumors / (possible) spoilers:

Steve and Bucky are childhood friends.

Red Skull is the first super-soldier.

There will be an Asgardian guarding the Tesseract / Cosmic Cube and he will be killed by Red Skull.

Bucky joins the Howling Commandos.

Captain America's first costume is based on his Golden Age appearance and is only just for show. He gets his new combat-ready costume after saving the Howling Commandos.

Nazi Germany's advanced weapons is due to the Tesseract.

Bucky "dies" in the attempt to stop the bomber plane.

Captain America and Red Skull are fighting in the bomber when it crashes in the Arctic.

When Steve Rogers is unfrozen, Nick Fury and Tony Stark are at his side and they invite him to join the Avengers.

Red Skull survives (duh).
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »

Can't be all bad if it has Tool..

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Dracula