JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana

Author Topic: Nocturne [13/02 - Epilogue (END)]  (Read 112400 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Nocturne [File #24]
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2009, 07:51:08 PM »
File #25

"I can't believe you're really doing this to me." Ai glared at a smiling Takeda reflected in the mirror before her. He was holding a dress out in front of her body, a critical look in his eye that failed to conceal his glee at being able to play dress up for his adoptive little sister.

"Relax, it's not like I'm making you look ugly." Ai frowned at the next dress he held before her, the beginning of a pout curling her lips.

"I don't doubt your taste...but are you seriously sending me into that sort of party wearing something like this?"

The dress in question was sleek and elegant, something that Ai wouldn't have normally been ashamed of wearing, but she had posed a pertinent question. Normally, she cross-dressed for such parties, appearing as Takahashi Ryuuta. In other words, she had been standing in for her erstwhile brother most of the time. She had not questioned why; it was something that had been required of her by their father at such occasions, and in any case, it did not inconvenience her too much to do so.

"Sometimes you need to be Takahashi Ai too." Takeda remarked mildly as he handed the black dress over to her. Ai raised one delicate eyebrow, eying him suspiciously.

"There's something I have to do there." It was not a question. Ai had been in the business long enough to recognize the usual signs. Takeda grinned.

"I knew you'd figure it out, but no, I'm not going to tell you what you have to do." Takeda pushed Ai gently in the small of her back, sending her into the bathroom.

"Oh great, so I get the entertainment of going in blind and half naked into a den of wolves. Thanks a lot." The sarcasm lacing her words could hardly be missed, but the half-smile on her lips cancelled the malice behind them.

"You're welcome." Takeda waved her off and turned away even as the door shut in his face. Raising his voice a little, he added.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, this job was practically made for you."

The snort from behind the door was clearly audible, and Takeda smiled. Quietly, he stepped away, heading to the outer room. Sinking into a plush chair, he leaned back and considered what lay ahead.

He was reluctant to let her go as she was, that much he was willing to admit. Girls had no place being there as an independent entity; the patriarchal system was very much in place in societies like that. Yet, there were some things only women could do, and very well indeed.

With a shrug, Takeda crossed his arms and waited. He could on play the observer here. The rest was up to her...and to forces beyond his control.

~*~*~

"Stop sulking, little sis. I'll beat up anyone who makes you cry." A rough voice coaxed with surprising tenderness as he playfully ruffled a pouty Reina's hair. The wonky eyed girl sucked on her lower lip grumpily, but didn't say anything.

Having older brothers could be a problem sometimes, Reina reflected. Either she would get bullied by them, or they would get overprotective. The first option was annoying, the second was just irritating. Despite all that though, Reina was genuinely fond of her family, warts and all. After all, they were family...not to mention that her brothers and her father all spoiled her outrageously.

Right now though, she was really not looking forward to having to leave her room. After the shock of learning that she would have to repeat an academic year, Reina was in no mood to be social. However, her father had requested the presence of all his children at the event, something that somewhat bucked the trend, since the theory of not putting all your eggs in one basket was very much put in practice in that particular household. It was rare that all the Tanaka siblings would be together at any one time, but Reina supposed that since this was their own estate, it was highly unlikely that any gatecrashers could eliminate all of them at one go.

Still, precautions would have to be applied. Only a selected few would be invited, and their entourage limited to a bare minimum. Naturally, no weapons would be allowed on the grounds...save for those under the employ of the Tanaka family.

The only thing that was of any temptation for Reina to put in an appearance was the prospect of seeing all her brothers together again. She hadn't seen a few of them for a while. As the youngest and the most doted on member of the family, Reina had fond memories of each of her brothers...ignoring the fact that they had all picked on her at some point in their lives. Boys would be boys, after all.

Currently, her third brother, Tanaka Masato, was trying to persuade her to come out into the main hall. A quiet man, he was about 5 years older than her, solemn and not given to practical jokes. He was fiercely protective over his baby sister, and despite his somewhat fragile-seeming build, he was far stronger than he appeared.

"Oh all right." Reina gave in, pushing her pestering brother out of her room none too gently, citing a need to dress up. Since it was more or less a formal occasion, Reina couldn't very well go in there looking anything less than perfect. She did have her father's reputation to consider...

~*~*~

"Father."

The greeting was tightly formal, and the doddering old man with sharp eyes only looked up briefly to acknowledge it, climbing out of the dark limo with the aid of a fine crafted cane. Soliciting hands supported his other side as he found his feet solidly on the pavement, father and daughter walking in silence as they approached the gilded entrance guarded by suited men.

Flashing the elaborately printed invitation card did not gain them immediate entry. The guards first scrutinized the card, then the visitors. Next came the obligatory turning over of all weapons, which neither of them claimed to possess, which led to the necessary patting down...

"Don't get so familiar." The girl smiled pleasantly, although her voice was edged with steel. The man gulped and quickly finished up, careful not to touch anywhere else longer than necessary. His partner had already finished with the old man, and the pair was soon admitted into the great hall.

"It seems that you did grow up." The old man commented distantly. His daughter flashed a charming smile. "I'm no longer a child, Father."

"It wasn't so long ago when you broke someone's arm for touching you inappropriately, my daughter." She flushed slightly at the reminder, but her lips curled into a slight smirk at the memory. That had been an interesting experience, to say the least.

"Youji, my friend, there you are!" A strong voice, bursting with vitality, hailed them. The greeter was none other than the host of the party, one Tanaka Takeshi, who hardly looked his age save for the silver touching his temples. A barrel-chested man, he stood straight and tall, and his face was unlined. His hand was rough as he clasped Youji's wrinkled one, and the two men shared an indecipherable look that passed in a moment. Only Youji's daughter caught the exchange, given that she was right beside them and was observant enough to pick up on these things.

"And who is this beautiful young lady?" Takeshi turned his attention to the girl, who inclined her head politely, allowing her father to reply for her as was proper.

"My daughter, Takahashi Ai." Youji replied calmly. "Quite a wild girl, so I haven't actually brought her out into society much."

"Father!" Ai protested mildly, inwardly amused but playing along as necessary. It certainly hadn't been her first time out in such company, but it certainly was the first time she had come as a girl.

Takeshi looked her up and down, taking in her appearance. "You resemble your brother...speaking of which, where is Ryuuta?"

"He had a little business to take care of, so I had to settle for bringing this wildflower along." Ai strongly resisted the urge to roll her eyes, and Takeshi caught her gaze, clearly aware of her intention to do so. Ai lowered her eyes submissively, as if embarrassed to be caught. The Tanaka patriarch laughed heartily.

"Well, I'm glad you are here. Feel free to mingle around. We can discuss other matters later."

Youji nodded his acquiescence, and they moved on into the main hall where small pockets of well dressed, yet somehow shady, people were socializing.

"Father, am I..." Ai started, but was cut off by a sharp look.

"There is no mark for you here tonight." The old man, despite his apparent frailty, had a deceptively strong presence. Ai was briefly caught off-guard, her surprise showing on her face.

"Go and play, my butterfly. Try not to show your sting." His words held a strange compulsion to them, veiled in meaning as they were. Ai nodded subserviently, unable to disobey this man who held power over her life and death.

Drifting aimlessly, she was accosted more than once, and forced to make small talk. That part wasn't too much of a chore, despite how often the men tended to strip her with their eyes. Ai had long since gotten used to that, but she didn't always like it.

She was still engaged in conversation with a lean young man when a familiar voice was heard.

"Musashi-niisan!"

The man who had been chatting her up turned to greet his little sister, and Ai resisted the urge to grin like a Cheshire cat as her suspicion was confirmed. Turning on her charm, she moved smoothly to Musashi's side, smiling winningly up at him.

"Is this your little sister?" Ai tried her best not to burst out laughing as the response she awaited came right on cue.

"YOU!"

~*~*~

Of all the places Reina had expected to see that infuriating woman again, her own home had never factored into the equation. Much less the fact that the shameless hussy was almost clinging onto her beloved brother, who seemed all too pleased by the attention.

Men! Reina thought with evident irritation. A number of mostly ugly emotions were churning within her, the least of which was embarrassment. Hatred wasn't too far from the list either. She loathed that confident smile that oozed sexiness...she did not just find that smile sexy!

"Do you two know each other?" Her clueless brother asked innocently. The witch next to him smiled pleasantly, her answer spilling lyrically from her full lips.

"We've...met...briefly." Their gazes locked into fiery battle, most of the flames spouting from Reina's end. Ai grinned like a cat that got the canary as she continued.

"I forgot to ask you the last time, but can you please return me my clo--"

She didn't get to finish as Reina abruptly yanked on her arm, pulling her away from her surprised brother. A few quick steps and they turned a corner, hidden in shadow within a dark alcove.

"Don't you dare say anything!" Reina hissed. Ai quirked an eyebrow.

"I was just telling the truth. You did borrow my clothes the last time."

"But not in front of my brother! What will he think?" Reina growled dangerously. Ai laughed.

"Aren't you overreacting? Girls trade clothes quite a lot, and we are about the same size, you know."

"Girls who are close friends do that." Reina glowered at her. "We are not even friends to begin with."

"You wound me." Ai clutched the front of her dress dramatically, although her eyes still sparkled with mirth.

"Get out of here before I really do." Reina threatened dangerously, clenching her fist. Ai frowned.

"Is that how you treat a guest?" Reina glared.

"Just stay away from me." Ai glanced at their current position, where Reina had all but pinned her against the wall in the dark alcove.

"I would, but first you have to stop dragging me into these questionable positions. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that you wanted to make out or something." Ai teased.

Reina flushed a deep red, suddenly glad that the lack of lighting hid that from that damnable woman as she backpedalled hastily to put some distance between them.

"Hmph, I have better taste than that." Reina shot back in a huff, turning on her heel and marching off with her head held high. Ai stared after her, an amused smile playing on her lips.

This evening wouldn't be a complete waste after all.

~*~*~

"Oi Reina, you look like a thundercloud." The youngest of her older brothers accosted her as she stormed away from Ai. Masaki was a boisterous sort, only a year older than Reina, and the two had always been close. Reina ground her teeth together and stomped on, her brother trailing along beside her.

Once they were out of convenient earshot of others, Reina turned to Masaki with a serious look in her eye. The older boy raised his eyebrows at the slightly maniacal and somewhat dangerous glint in his baby sister's eyes.

"If I asked you to kill someone for me, will you do it?" Reina asked. Masaki's eyebrows went up higher at the request. Of all things Reina could have said, this was the probably the last thing he had anticipated.

"Uh, well, I could get it done if you really wanted it..."

"Good." Reina looked out of the doorway of the private area they were in, and pointed Ai out of the crowd. Masaki whistled as he caught sight of her.

"Hey, that girl's really hot..." He trailed off as a death glare came flying his way. Blinking, he looked back at the pretty girl his sister had just pointed out to him. "That one? What's she do to you?"

If possible, Reina's face got even darker, but Masaki also caught the hint of red on his sister's cheeks. Reina might act all tough on the outside, but Masaki knew that his sister could be quite a softie on the inside, and just as easily embarrassed like any other girl. Jokingly, he added.

"What, the girl too hot for you to handle?"

The intended effect of adding levity to the situation didn't work. If anything, Reina seemed to get even more worked up, though she did a decent job of not exploding right there and then.

"She...she humiliated me...I won't ever forgive her for that." Reina spat. Masaki blinked again. He hadn't seen Reina this serious in a long time. Clucking his tongue thoughtfully, he glanced back at the girl in question, weighing his options.

"Well, if my baby sister wants something done, I'll do it for her." He hummed under his breath. "Though killing might be a bit excessive, don't you think?"

"I don't care. No one does that to Reina and gets away with it!" Reina flared. Masaki met her gaze coolly.

"And just what did she do to you?"

Reina pressed her lips together into a tight line, the flush on her cheeks even more obvious now. She was obviously angry, as well as embarrassed, about something. Masaki wanted to wheedle it out of her before he did anything precipitous. Sure, killing someone wasn't too big a deal for him, but he wanted to know what had gotten his little sister all worked up like this.

"Saved her from a bunch of drunks who were going to rape her, lent her my own clothes because hers were wrecked, and got slapped by her no particular reason."

The answer came from the outside, and the siblings turned in shock to see Ai leaning against the doorway with her arms folded. Masaki was stunned; the last he had seen of her, she was still some distance away. He hadn't even felt her presence until she had spoken.

"You tried to take advantage of me!" Reina accused a little shrilly, trying to defend herself. Masaki stared at the two girls, trying to comprehend the situation.

"I was just teasing you, silly. I didn't really do anything." Ai laughed, then turned to the baffled Masaki. "I'm sorry, it seems that my brother's bad habits rubbed off on me. I said some things to her that I shouldn't have."

"Brother?" Now that Ai was up close, he looked her over more closely. Something clicked in his mind at the resemblance. "Are you Takahashi's sister?"

"In the flesh." Ai replied, trying not to show too obviously that she already knew Masaki as Ryuuta. "Ryuu-nii mentioned you a few times."

"Yeah, Takahashi's a cool guy." He nodded with approval. "He never said that you were this pretty though..." Reina glared at him. Traitor!

"You exaggerate." Ai flashed a winning smile at him, and a cocky glance at a fuming Reina. Turning to face Reina completely, she held out her hand.

"I never meant any harm before. Sorry if my having fun disturbed you." Ai said quite sincerely, although her eyes still sparkled with hidden laughter. Reina glared at the offered hand like it was a live snake, her own eyes still hostile.

There was a tense moment as neither side made a move, before Ai withdrew her hand and lowered her head.

"I understand if you can't forgive me. You can hit me some more if you like, if it'd make you feel better." She seemed genuinely apologetic, which confused Reina all the more. Masaki edged over to Reina, whispering.

"Don't be a spoilsport, Reina. She doesn't seem so bad..." He coaxed. Reina clenched her fists again, resisting the urge to reach out and shake the other girl silly in order to reveal that wily vixen's true colours.

"Alright, but only because of Masaki." She thrust her hand out forcefully, and when Ai extended her hand as well, Reina dug her nails deep into Ai's hand as they 'shook' hands.

To her disappointment, Ai didn't even flinch, continuing to smile as if nothing had happened. Leaning in a little so that Masaki wouldn't hear her, Reina hissed under her breath.

"Don't think I won't take up your offer to beat you up, you hypocrite."

Ai's smile was lazy as she purred her reply.

"I'm looking forward to it, kitten."

==================================================

Hope it doesn't disappoint...

*sneaks away again*

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
Re: Nocturne [File #25]
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Yay~~ You updated!!!!

Fun, fun, lots of fun Reinai action!! XD XD

Ai is going to have way too much fun with this. :lol:

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
Wow, an update. :o! Is this a theme with us now? Don't tell me I motivated you to do it again in doing my own? XD Think I'll do something a little different this time and write down thoughts while reading, so it may sound a bit rambling without the complete picture from the beginning like sbk or JFC usually do. :P

Anyway, uh oh, Reina's daddy's getting into the mix. I didn't think of it last time since it was just a rushed phone call (and may have not necessarily meant much, despite your reference to that it did), but with Assassin!Ai around, this can't bode well. XD Especially now we're getting to know him a bit too... Speaking of which, when Ai first meets him, I know you likely won't do this... but might Ai be going into "father lover" territory? :ph43r:

Anyway, after Reina's next meeting with Ai (XD): I really hope her brother doesn't take her direction and try to kill her lol. Somehow I think Reina would have a better shot at it. XD If only while in bed with her... :ph43r: <-- using this quite a lot here, I see... Speaking of which, if her brother doesn't think offing someone for her is a big deal, what sort of business is her family actually involved in? XD Or was there mention of Yakuza or something somewhere when we first met Reina? It's been too long; I forget. :P

And I thought it earlier, but have to say it now... can seriously nobody tell the different between Ai and Ryuuta? XD I would think, with all the cross-dressing that goes on in Japanese pop culture... Ah well. :P

Ah, so he won't try anyway. That's good. I still wouldn't put it past Reina though... Poor kitten, she really is literally asking for it... :twisted:

More~ :D

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
YES~! FINALY~! X3 god you dont know how long i waited for this~! :yossi:

ai forced to being all girly and meeting reina again is just epic XDD and poor reina must be having a horrible yr XD but i bet she'll surely begin to like our player ai-chan XD

but there's a few questions i must ask...

what happened you our yuu-chan?! what happened to kame?! what happened to sayu?! and most importantly......

WTH HAPPENED TO MY GAKI?!

XD that last one wasnt anger..just excitement that u started again XD and dont worry, i'm sure noone forgot about ur lovely epic fic X3 keep it up~! and hopefuly the next chapter wont take as long XD but take ur time ^^ i'll be waitning for it~! X3
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:22 AM »
Ah yet another story I need to reread. I'm glad you updated though, there's quite a shortage of Playboy Ai around here lately which is something I only enjoy when written by a few people, you included in that short list.

Hmm, the RenAi thing is building to an interesting storyline, I wonder if Eri will show up later to give it some trouble?

Don't take too long to get the next chapter out Estrea-sama!

Hmmm, I don't think I've been commenting on this for some reason, that will definitely have to change.

Offline ringo-hime

• House of Byuntae
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2009, 04:26:26 AM »
WOW!!! <3
updateeee~!

I wanna see how Reina beats up Ai...

thanks for the update!

Tanaka Family is cute!!!  XD

Offline kRisZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ...shiawasekai...
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
Yay! Been waiting for this update  :gmon twirl:

"Oh great, so I get the entertainment of going in blind and half naked into a den of wolves. Thanks a lot."

I so want to see that  :drool:

"I would, but first you have to stop dragging me into these questionable positions. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that you wanted to make out or something." Ai teased.

:lol:

I'm imagining something ebil  :twisted:

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
Update~ :heart: :heart: :heart:

Although Ai looks mighty hot cross dressing, I think she'd look hotter in that dress. :drool:

Reina vs Ai is totally epic. :lol: I love how Reina thinks Aichan is sexy when she's like "I did NOT think that :angry:" Come on, Reina, just admit it, it'll make life so much easier (but...less interesting.)

For some reason, I really like that line. :twisted:
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline badsaints

• in love with Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
Woah it took me the whole day to read through the thread and what I can say is...WHAT A RIDE! :O

I like this Ai who lives her life f**king everyone (literally or not) XD I guess this is what happens when you live a superficial existence. My guess is that she's meeting her match substantially soon? Maybe Reina or Eri or even both?

Can't wait for more mind-boggling drama :twisted:

Offline Fushigidane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »
Aaaa yay an update!! :inlove: Hehehe Reina and Ai-chan meeting again XD :heart:
"Just stay away from me." Ai glanced at their current position, where Reina had all but pinned her against the wall in the dark alcove.

Reina flushed a deep red, suddenly glad that the lack of lighting hid that from that damnable woman as she backpedalled hastily to put some distance between them.
Hehehe! XD Reina caaan't resist Ai-chan's hotness :D

Offline GoodEngrish

• ecchi
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
Lol, the Tanaka family crime syndicate. Just how many brothers does Reina have?

"Don't get so familiar." The girl smiled pleasantly, although her voice was edged with steel.

It's touchy-feely Aibutt time :D even she is dangerous.

Takeshi? Isn't that the other guy's name?
Ah wait, his name is Takeda XD Too many T's.

ooo, does this mean there's some S&M ReinAi fun coming up?

And yay for assassin Ai. She's like James Bond minus the special agent and twice the fun with the girls :P

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2010, 08:32:53 PM »
*skulks in*

I'm back!  :ph43r:

Comment replies first.

Fen: ReinAi :heart: :heart: :heart: Hehe. XD And yes she will, eventually. :D

rokun: You motivated me to update this. :heart: And haha, very funny...although you don't have to rule out what might have happened when Ai was still a teen-in-training. >_> Yeah Reina might have better luck killing Ai herself if she held her temper long enough for the clothes to come off. :lol: Well if there wasn't mention of Yakuza before, it's kind of out there right now, isn't it? Oh and they can't tell the difference because of two things: 1) Ryuuta has short hair all the time, and Ai came in with long hair and really girly mannerisms. 2) They're pretending to be twins. -shrug- As long as they behave differently enough, people will buy it. Besides, when they're looking at Ai, they aren't looking at her face, if you know what I mean. :P

kawaii beam: Sorry to make you wait so long again. ^^; It's not so much being girly that bothers Ai, its the whole not-being-taken-seriously thing that gets to her when she goes to such places as a girl. But yes, poor Reina. She just can't get away from Ai. :lol: And as for everyone else, don't worry, they're fine. More or less. They'll show up eventually. XD

rndmn: I guess with the length between this update and the last, you might to reread again. ^^; Sorry. Playboy Ai does need more airtime, despite how OOC it actually is. But hey, it's hot. XD And sorry I did take too long, didn't I?

ringo-hime: Don't we all wanna see how Reina takes her revenge? Or rather, more likely, have it backfire on her. :lol: I like the Tanaka family too. :D

kRisZ: I hope you'll enjoy this update!

Sai: I agree, she'll be exceptional in that dress. XD Reina's internal struggle will always be entertaining. That's why she's Reina. XD

badsaints: Haha well, good for you! And yes, this Ai is like a female version of James Bond, except on the other side of the law and way hotter. XD She may or may not meet her match, but we'll see how it works out. XD

GoodEngrish: She has 6 brothers. I didn't name them all in order not to confuse everyone. XD S&M ReinAi fun? I wish! But Reina might resist...:lol: And yes, assassin Ai pwns James Bond in every way. I mean, she has the fast cars, less responsibility, and more girls. XD And she's way sexier too. XD What's not to love?

Time to edit and post.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
File #26

The event seemed to last forever, though towards the end some of the more influential attendees had vanished into a side lounge where the host of the evening was holding court. The rest of the guests remained in the great hall, feasting and drinking while holding raucous conversation.

Most of them were young men, though a fair few had their female escorts with them. Quite a number of those who had escorts had already discreetly vanished down side hallways and other empty rooms scattered around the mansion.

Reina was not pleased. Regardless, this was her home, and right now she wasn't sure if she wanted to walk around the place, not with the young sons of her father's business associates cluttering the place. Her status would guarantee that no one would mess with her without her approval, but it was still awkward to walk in on certain things were she to wander freely at this point.

However, staying in the main hall wasn't turning out to be such a great idea either. Not with the persistent presence of a certain someone who could probably make a career out of annoying her, by simply existing.

It was not like that woman was actually doing anything to her at the moment, oh no. After that confrontation earlier, they had drifted apart into different circles, though remaining in the same room. There was no further contact of any kind, unless one counted on how Ai was somehow always there in Reina's peripheral vision, as if she was part of the background no matter where the little yankii tried to turn.

It annoyed Reina. How could it not, especially when at least two of her brothers kept trying to hit on that annoying woman every chance they could. It felt offensive, with how easily Ai was charming her idiot brothers, wrapping them around her little finger like no one's business. Reina felt threatened somehow. How could someone like that weasel into her family structure so easily?

So other than scowling with a glass of juice in her hand, Reina was practically doing nothing except to glare at anyone who got close. Not the most particularly thrilling way to spend an evening, but it beat staring at the ceiling in her room alone. At least here she had something to scare away.

A raised voice, all too familiar to Reina's ears, made her break off her hostile stance, wonky eyes searching for the source. Abrupt movement at a corner drew her attention, and she nearly dropped her glass when she saw Masaki push Musashi away aggressively. This was probably the main reason why her brothers were usually separated; put together, they were more hazardous to each other than outside forces.

Except that this time, Reina sensed that their upcoming altercation had less to do with the alcohol they had both consumed, and more with the woman that was standing between them. Cursing under her breath, Reina abandoned her drink and strode quickly over, hoping to prevent a fight before it started.

Suppressing her rising irritation as she got closer, Reina shoved her way between her glowering brothers. Masaki was flushed with drink, while Musashi seemed little affected. Ai stood a small distance away from the angry siblings, watching with a suitably vapid expression that seemed to carry hidden laughter at the two alpha males willing to fight over her. Reina resisted the urge to reach over to slap her, though she did cuff her idiot brothers over the head, knowing that they would never knowingly hit her no matter what she did.

"Don't be stupid! It ain't worth fighting your own brother over some stupid girl." Reina scolded them, raising her voice enough so that the words "stupid girl" could be easily heard by the intended party. Ai raised an eyebrow, a hint of a smile touching her lips as she shifted her weight from one leg to another. The movement made her dress flutter, the material sliding and shifting to reveal an expanse of creamy thigh. It did not go unnoticed.

Reina flushed in anger when she noticed both her brothers, as well as any number of nearby men, turn to stare openly at Ai. The sneaky vixen artfully ignored all the gazes with cool indifference, appearing well nigh untouchable with her proud, graceful stance.

"I'd hit that..." Masaki muttered, before wincing when his little sister stepped on his foot quite deliberately. Reina folded her arms, glaring at him.

"You don't even know where she's been." Reina said caustically. Considering how shameless Ai had acted with her before, Reina did not have a good impression of her character. For all she knew, that woman probably slept around with anyone on either side of the gender line.

"That's rude." Somehow, Ai had managed to drift to a position almost right next to her, making Reina jump at the sudden proximity. Even Masaki blinked, stepping back. None of them had seen her move.

Musashi was observing Ai with a studied eye. Even he had not caught how fluidly the woman had moved. Few individuals managed to achieve such economy of motion. Those who did were inevitably trained to do so. The hairs on the back of his neck prickled. He should not have expected anything less of someone who was adopted by Takahashi Youji.

"W-what?" Reina blurted, startled by Ai's sudden appearance next to her. Ai smiled.

"I don't insult you, do I?" Her smile was entirely pleasant, yet not at the same time. The hand on Reina's arm was cold, and Reina had to wonder when exactly Ai had placed a hand on her arm. The grip tightened ever so slightly, but Ai released her before Reina could even bunch her muscles to pull away.

The moment was oddly tense, and even Masaki seemed sobered by it. Musashi seemed troubled by it, stepping away to look over Ai with new eyes. Suddenly the hot young woman seemed less a rose with thorns, and more like a beautiful butterfly with a deadly sting. He could feel more than see the similarity and also the difference between her and Ryuuta.

If Ryuuta had been coolly confident with an edge of dangerous competence, his sister Ai was deadly nightshade: soft and beautiful, but fatal in certain doses. Both Takahashi siblings were apparently not to be trifled with, which reminded him just what business his father had with their father. He shuddered. Perhaps it would be better to let Masaki have her, if of course, the girl was willing to begin with.

Perhaps sensing the chill she herself had caused, Ai smiled radiantly, resting one hand delicately on Masaki's arm to settle him down. Reina's automatic glower did not go unnoticed by her,  and she felt a surge of pleasure at that. For some reason, riling up the youngest Tanaka was a highly entertaining activity. Probably because it only made Reina look all the more adorable. Ai slid closer to Masaki, feeling him relax and puff up more at the attention, though her own eyes remained on her main target: one very pissed off Tanaka Reina.

"Time to stop playing." A third voice cut in suddenly, making Ai freeze visibly. The old man had a hold on her that could not be underestimated, and she let go immediately, obediently slinking back to her adoptive father's side.

A strange thread of unease slid around Reina's insides at the sight. While she would normally have been smug about seeing someone she did not like being humbled in front of her, she could take no pleasure in the way Ai deferred to the older Takahashi male. There seemed to be no humiliation in the act, and the whole scene felt more like a sword being sheathed back into its scabbard than  a wayward child being called to heel.

"I see my sons were quite captivated by your charming daughter." Tanaka Takeshi murmured from behind the much smaller Youji, who kept a neutral expression on.

"She is not quite fit to be a bride, even as old as she is." Youji sighed, even as Ai bit her lip and lowered her head. Reina stared at the conversation, distinctly aware that she was somehow missing something from it.

"You put her down too much. Surely a capable man like yourself will also have exceptional heirs." There it was again, that hidden nuance. Reina wondered just what kind of conversation the two older men were really having.

"None as exceptional as yours, it would seem." The elder Takahashi's gaze swept over the Tanaka siblings present, pausing a tad longer on Reina. Reina shifted uncomfortably under his gaze, her own shifting gaze somehow meeting Ai's in a single moment of shared camaraderie. The sudden unexpected connection made Reina turn away abruptly, and she shortly missed the quick flash of disappointment that went through Ai's eyes.

"If your beautiful daughter could teach my wild scrap of a daughter some manners, I'll be more relieved." Takeshi was saying, making Reina tune back into the conversation abruptly.

"Only if you wish for your daughter to be even more rebellious." Youji deadpanned, and both men laughed. Their children seemed lost to the humor, though Ai's lips quirked briefly at the notion, eyeing Reina discreetly.

"But we must leave soon. It has been an excellent evening, Takeshi my friend." The old man said expansively as he clasped the taller Tanaka patriarch's elbow appreciatively.

Reina watched the Takahashi pair exit the main hall, before she too made her leave of the place. Silently stepping through hallways known only to the family, she passed through an alcove overseeing the lower hallways, freezing abruptly at a solid-sounding "thwack" that echoed through the silent halls.

Her curiosity raised, Reina crept to a nearby peephole to look down. She only just managed to keep from gasping out loud when she saw the proud Takahashi Ai holding her face defensively, her body turned inward as if to shield from any further blows.

The elder Takahashi male said something to her, something Reina could not hear at that distance. Reina could only watch as Ai lowered her head, her sharp eyes catching the way Ai's shoulders trembled briefly before stilling with ruthless discipline. Reina could not help but feel slightly impressed as Ai straightened to face the now somehow very scary Takahashi patriarch with an empty mask that gave nothing away.

Even as they turned to continue their way out of the mansion, Ai glanced back upwards, staring straight at where Reina was looking down at the scene. Reina froze, even though she knew there was no way Ai could have known that she was there. In any case, the glance was brief, searching and curious. Almost suspicious, but it passed quickly as the two made their way over the threshold and out of the house.

Reina did not move until the doors closed. Her heart was somehow thumping very fiercely at the shared gaze that could not have been, since Ai could not possibly have known she was there. She did not understand what was going on around here, never had. She knew better than to get overly involved with the family business. With 6 brothers ahead of her, she knew that the business would be in good hands, and she had no pressing need to get involved.

Still, what happened intrigued her. Reina knew she should not bother, but found herself thinking on it nevertheless. Turning on her heel, she went looking for one of her brothers. A little more information on the Takahashi family wouldn't hurt.

As she thought about it, Reina tried very hard to ignore the niggling little warning about how curiosity killed the cat. She wasn't a cat, and she wasn't being too curious.

I'm just asking, what could go wrong? She reasoned to herself.

Famous last words, a little voice murmured ominously at the back of her head. Scowling, Reina quashed it and moved on. Time to get a hold of one of her brothers before they got too drunk to talk, much less answer any questions.

=================================================================================

And there.

*slinks down the nearest ferret hole*

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
Re: Nocturne [File #26]
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »
YAY~!!!! u finaly updated~!!!!! :yossi: :otomerika:

lol at reina XD just beating up her older brothers and can easily get away with it XD
plus i wonder what ai's old man said for her to act like that??????*is filled with questions*
 good to see that everyone's alright,but i still wanna know about my risa XD
and curious kitty reina ftw~! X3
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2010, 03:26:11 AM »
Holy crap, what is this story about again? Yeah, it's been too long again. :lol:

*searches mind* Hmm, assassin Ai, Risa being vaguely there, Ai teasing Reina, no vampires. Oh yeah! I remember now! Weren't we just talking about this story not too long ago, Kawaiwai? Speak of the devil and so on.

She only just managed to keep from gasping out loud when she saw the proud Takahashi Ai holding her face defensively, her body turned inward as if to shield from any further blows.
Oooo, ouches. *wince*

curiosity killed the cat.
I think Ai might be an expert cat killer. Also a bean killer, but I was trying not to talk about her...

Glad to see you (sorta) back, Essy-sama! Is this going to be an updating trend or random chance encounter?

Offline aussie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »
Went back and read the previous chapters to catch up on this story :lol:

Let me see - Ai is an assasin, Yuuka is her (adopted) little sister, Sayu is in there somewhere, Risa is the heartbroken best friend who holds a torch for Ai, Eri was used and abandoned(?) by Ai, Ai met Reina in Hawaii and have continued their teasing relationship to now. I already see Reina slowly thawing towards Ai, I just hope she doesn't end up like Eri :( I do wonder what Ai's true feelings towards Eri had been, and now towards Reina. She surely is deadly with the GoRokkies XD

Offline kRisZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ...shiawasekai...
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
 :w00t:  update  :w00t:  update  :w00t:

Not with the persistent presence of a certain someone who could probably make a career out of annoying her, by simply existing.
XD  XD  XD

There was no further contact of any kind, unless one counted on how Ai was somehow always there in Reina's peripheral vision, as if she was part of the background no matter where the little yankii tried to turn.
Why do I find this cute

an expanse of creamy thigh
:mon blood:

that woman probably slept around with anyone on either side of the gender line.
:lol:

he only just managed to keep from gasping out loud when she saw the proud Takahashi Ai holding her face defensively, her body turned inward as if to shield from any further blows.
:shocked  :angry:  *looks for the samurai*

She wasn't a cat
She's a kitten  :D

Now she's intrigued    :pimp:

More  :cow:  More  :cow:  More

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #357 on: January 25, 2010, 05:13:59 AM »
Oh you updated! Damn me for not checking the forum often enough. But where are all the comments??? Everyone must have forgotten :cry:

Well... a direct continuation of the last chapter eh? We're getting it in little increments. I can detect a little bit of a difference in the way you wrote this though compared to how you were writing it before. Perhaps partly a result of the conversations we were having? XD You also seem to be having conversations with yourself in the words you're writing. It's a rather curious read. Anyway, as to the content.

Not gonna say I caught onto all the stuff you're trying to imply, like in the Takahashi and Tanaka patriarchs' discussions, but that may partly be because I'm quite tired now too. It strikes me though that this is a bit different from Ai's earlier escapades. Her and Reina's "father"s seem to be on a similar level and footing, and I wonder if whatever Ai's plans are involving them, if she's trying to bite off a bit more than she can chew. I'm not sure she's really thinking of it the same way either. It's almost like... perhaps while doing the job too, she really is trying to choose a mate. Which in this case, knowing you and ReinAi, I wouldn't be all that surprised at.

Then again, it could all just be a clever ploy set to fool and snare the Tanakas, but if so, it's a damn good ploy where a lot of things may really be even up to chance, and I think might be a little more than the Takahashis are even capable of. Then again, I may be forgetting some things that happened in the past too.

Anyway, that's most of what I wanted to say, except that you seem to get carried away in your metaphors sometimes too. XD Glad to see this back :) :heart:

Offline Retro Bubble

• Me, Me, Me
  • Member+
  • That One Night
« Reply #358 on: January 26, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »
Just finished reading through the story, and am now awaiting the next chapter. :bleed eyes:

I really, really like your portrayal of Aichan in this story. She is so undeniably cruel, evil, horny, and extremely naughty; however, the moments when she shows her more gentler and vulnerable side (which is quite rare...), it just makes me want to take her in my arms and hug her 'til her ebilness has gone away. Knowing her job, it must be difficult for her to express any sort of genuinely warm emotions, and maybe even vulnerabilities, toward others (save for a very few exceptions.)

No matter how much fun she's having playing with girls, I feel that she's kind of a lonely individual. :cry:

Anyhow, on your newest chapter -- yay! Moar hot ReinAi tension! :twothumbs I swear, I don't think it really matters to me how they act around one another, because both of them together will always be endearing to me, lol. And, finally, Reina's decided to get into Aichan's business! I've been looking forward to that. :ptam-glow:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:50:28 AM by Retro Bubble »

Offline kame_eririn

• In love with Eririn and ReinAi
« Reply #359 on: January 26, 2010, 01:59:10 AM »
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

I was really bored in my vacation when I started to read Nocturne!!! and I really really really really liked it!!!!!!!! :inlove:

And I can't wait for the next chapter!! Your fic is so intriguing and it's very well written!!!  :heart:

Ai-chan is a bad person, but I still love her! XD!...AND REINAI IS THE BESTTTTTTTT!!!  :love:

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana