JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Oujisama To Yuki No Yoru live

Author Topic: [TV] Madventures  (Read 17686 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
[TV] Madventures
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »

Madventures is a Finnish television travel show, though not a typical one at that. Instead of a presenter having a camera crew follow and show the most usual tourist attractions of big European cities and up-scale skiing resorts, the Madventures crew dives headlong into the world of the traveller. The show, production wise, is quite minimalistic. The field crew consists of Riku Rantala, a former freelance journalist for Finnish publications such as Image magazine, and Tuomas "Tunna" Milonoff, a television and film producer. Their mission: to go an a journey around the world to locations frequented mostly by intrepid backpackers. The material recorded on location is sent by DHL back to Finland, where Petri Mäkitalo labours over the tapes, producing a coherent result.

The philosophy of Madventures could be summed up in two words: "Get going!" The presenters' aim is to give the viewers a glimpse of a travelling reality removed from package holidays or even the boozing culture of fresh-out-of-school "backpackers". Through the spiritually loaded Nepal and India to truly mad places like Phnom Penh and history-laden South America, the show is a barrage of different cultures, enticing vistas and anecdotes. Audiovisually the Madventures material is surprisingly good. Despite the limited equipment, the crew manage to really bring the locations to the viewer. A strange mixture of ethnic feels and electronica complement the visuals, and together they form a suprisingly coherent whole. Despite being an entirely Finnish production, the location information displayed on screen is in English only.

Each Madventures episode consists of travel experiences, short blurbs about history and culture from a traveller's viewpoint and varying, sometimes repeating segments. For example, the tropical bugs of India and Cambodia prompted the hosts to start the "Madventures: Fuck the Animals" project. In short, if a specific animal annoys the host(s), it is duly disposed of on camera, accompanied by slow-motion replay. Another segment is "Mad Cook", where the hosts play rock, paper, scissors and the loser gets to eat whatever questionable local delicacy there is available. The show gained controversy and attention in Finland when a tabloid newspaper reported of cruelty towards animals on the show. In one episode, the butchering and subsequent dining on of a stray dog was shown. This prompted protest against both Milonoff and Rantala, as well as the channel the show was being shown on, SubTV. In addition, the animal rights group Animalia gave their Anti Animalia "prize" of 2002 to Milonoff and Rantala for their role in bringining "questionable and cruel content to television".

Links
Official Site
Official MySpace
IMDB

Madventures III - Opening

Madventures III - Trailer

Season 3 starts today and I'm hyped as fuck :twothumbs
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:12:39 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: [TV] Madventures (the best travel show ever!)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I haven't seen every episode of Madventures, but what I've seen was great. :lol: These guys are crazy.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:36:36 PM by Masa »

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
Season 3 starts today? Fuckin' aye, I wish my TV wasn't broken. :P

Best travel show ever - Yes, this is a simple fact. These guys do some of the craziest things, but it's not all just for shock value - the humour throughout the series is awesome. In the US, they do a parody of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. They meet a panty collector and participate in S&M sessions in Tokyo. All sorts of shit... and the constant burns... priceless.

No doubt the show will suffer a little due to the language changing - Riku & Tunna's dialogue was hilarious in Finnish (or Finglish). I wasn't able to get any non-finns _that_ excited about the previous seasons, because of the language barrier and the lack of subtitles. We even talked about subbing this several times. Kudos to the people behind those youtube videos even though the translation and spellchecking are far from great.

But fuck that, it's finally back! And judging from the trailer, it looks as awesome as ever!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »
Madventures season 3: Eating monkey brains

:lol:

The season premiere was fucking brilliant! I was kinda worried that switching from Finnish to English would affect the show but fortunately the dialogue is still quite colorful. Especially Riku's English is fucking great even during non-scripted parts. Anyways the episode is available for download @ The Asshole 

Reasons why you should watch the 1st episode:
- Mind-Expanding Ayahuasca drug (Tunna is FUCKED UP)
- Madcook feat. monkey brain
- Hardcore brazilian gangsters with gats
- Diamond smuggling
- General craziness

Riku and Tunna do shit you don't see in other travel shows and they visit places where no one else dares to go :yep:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:50:27 AM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
LMAO!! We gotta borrow some of his bits for our NEXT JPH!P WORLD TOUR DOKYU!! I love how they :puke: and the guy goes Don't u puke!

What's the wackest shit you can eat in Seattle?

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 06:44:36 AM »
Coming up this week: Madventures in Japan :twothumbs

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [TV] Madventures (Japan episode added!)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
The epic Japan episode was aired today!  :w00t:

DOWNLOAD @ The Asshole

The latest episode of Madventures features:
- Drifting
- A pimped out truck
- Boozing
- Real dolls
- A BEER ROBOT :shocked:
- Kinky hentai action at a love hotel
- Phat sumo action
- Madcook feat. a dancing octopus
- Katana making
- Riku as a human sushi table
....and plenty of awesome WTF moments! XD

Madventures S03E05: Riku is body sushi

Madventures S03E05 Madcook

THE. BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »
NO FUCK YOU!!! NAKED SUSHI LMAO!!

XD XD XD XD

Sumo training oh fucking shit. Not for the Weak Hearted, as my homeslice shirenu & Fenrir says.
* daigong downloads

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:12:22 AM »
I agree, this ep was probably the best evar.

Man I almost died laughing during the love doll scenes. :lol:

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:28:21 AM »
I agree, this ep was probably the best evar.

Man I almost died laughing during the love doll scenes. :lol:

just finish watching the episode too!
OMFG when Tuomas opened the washroom door and saw Riku fucking the love doll!

And really the scene with them at the love hotel is....   :shocked:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:32:23 AM by JTRIX »
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Iamabowl

• Captain of the Inanimate Object Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 05:25:57 AM »
That love doll scene was hilarious, especially the quick shower cut haha

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

Coming up this week: India

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
^Best. Scene. Ever!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [TV] Madventures
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »

DOWNLOAD @ The Asshole

The latest episode features:
- blood & gore
- marijuana milkshakes
- R.Kelly action
- nudity
- Bollywood dancing
- crazy pee drinking cannibals
- plenty of disturbing WTF moments :shocked:

Offline Iamabowl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »
oh my god, I had to fast forward through a lot more of this episode than I have for any of the other ones. The penis wrapping made me cringe, and the cannibal/pee drinking/ozzie osborn scene was just too uncomfortable.

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 09:32:29 AM »
oh my god, I had to fast forward through a lot more of this episode than I have for any of the other ones. The penis wrapping made me cringe, and the cannibal/pee drinking/ozzie osborn scene was just too uncomfortable.

To tell the truth, I did the same thing by fast forwarded most of the scenes... lots of them are too graphic. But I would expect that because they are in INDIA, not any other country.
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Iamabowl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 02:08:02 AM »
I was actually expecting India to be fairly calm, with the whole peaceful vegetarian enlightenment thing they have going on. My expectations were screwed by watching too many of those travel channel shows. Andrew Zimmern eating gross stuff was just about the worst I saw of India... I'm glad this show exists to show the other side haha.

Still, the most unexpected/random thing I've seen from the show so far was Tunna quoting Dune when they were in a tent in the middle of Yemen. "Fear is the mind killer" - I cracked up when he said that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:10:58 AM by Iamabowl »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »

DOWNLOAD @ The Asshole

The latest episode features:
- Shaolin kung fu
- Riku vs. The Shaolin Kid
- Tea
- Crazy acrobats
- Riku & Tunna eating cock (no homo)
- Madcook feat. "Pluto"
- Real insect kung fu

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Oujisama To Yuki No Yoru live