JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dip - It`s Too Late

Author Topic: [CHI] Maggie Cheung Man Yok 張曼玉  (Read 13616 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] Maggie Cheung Man Yok 張曼玉
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
Maggie Cheung Man Yok 張曼玉

From TVB star tomovies in the mid 1980's...See her gain international critical acclaim in the breakthrough performance opposite the legendary Stephen Chow in 'ALL'S WELL END'S WELL'! Maggie is known all over the world for her roles in many Wong Kar-Wai movies! Winner of best actress for the film 'Clean' at the 57th Film Festival in Cannes.

Birthday : 20, Sep 1964
Blood Type : O
Height : 168cm
Weight : 51kg
Measurement : B83cm W58cm H86cm

Links
IMDB
Wikipedia

Filmography
Prince Charming (1984)
Behind the Yellow Line (1984)
Modern Cinderella (1985)
Police Story (1985) 
It's a Drink, It's a Bomb (1985)
Lost Romance (1986)
Happy Ghost 3 (1986)
The Seventh Curse (1986)
Sister Cupid (1987)
Heartbeat 100 (1987)
The Romancing Star (1987)
Project A Part II (1987)
Call Girl '88 (1988)
Love Soldier of Fortune (1988)
Paper Marriage (1988)
Double Fattiness (1988)
As Tears Go By (1988)
Mother vs. Mother (1988)
Moon, Star, Sun (1988)
How To Pick Girls Up (1988)
Police Story 2 (1988)
The Nowhereman (1988)
The Game They Call Sex (1988)
Faithfully Yours (1988)
Last Romance (1988)
Little Cop (1989)
A Fishy Story (1989)
Hearts No Flowers (1989)
The Bachelor's Swan-Song (1989)
My Dear Son (1989)
In Between Loves (1989)
The Iceman Cometh (1989)
Doubles Cause Troubles (1989)
Full Moon in New York (1990)
Heart into Hearts (1990)
Song of the Exile (1990)
Dragon From Russia (1990)
Farewell China (1990)
Red Dust (1990)
Days of Being Wild (1990)
Today's Hero (1991)
The Perfect Match (1991)
Will of Iron (1991)
The Banquet (1991)[cameo]
Alan & Eric - Between Hello & Goodbye (1991)
Rose (1992)
Centre Stage (1992)
All's Well, Ends Well (1992)
True Love (1992)
Dragon Inn (1992)
What a Hero! (1992)
Moon Warriors (1992)
Twin Dragons (1992)
Police Story 3: Supercop (1992)
Millionaire Cop (1993)
The Bare-Footed Kid (1993)
The Heroic Trio (1993)
Holy Weapon (1993)
Green Snake (1993)
Enigma of Love (1993)
The Eagle Shooting Heroes (1993)
Flying Dagger (1993)
Boys are Easy (1993)
Executioners (1993)
First Shot (1993)
The Mad Monk (1993)
In Between (1994)
Ashes of Time (1994)
Comrades, Almost a Love Story (1996)
Irma Vep (1996)
The Soong Sisters (1997)
Chinese Box (1998)
Sausalito (2000)
Augustin, King of Kung-Fu (2000)
In the Mood for Love (2000)
Hero (2002)
2046 (2004)
Clean (2004)
Ashes of Time Redux (2008)
Inglourious Basterds (2009) 

Some interviews...and u may have seen him cameo in his movies
Maggie Cheung Interview at Cinema China 07

Maggie Cheung arthouse feature (1996)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:51:34 AM by daigong »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [CHI] Maggie Cheung Man Yok
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
GJ! Maggie's definitely one of my favorite actresses :thumbsup

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:09:45 PM »
Gorgeous!! HOpe they put her scene back in Inglorious Basterds. Read they cut her out in cannes.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:54 AM »
Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung poses for the latest issue of the Harper's Bazaar magazine. [Photo: Harper's Bazzar]

GLAMOUR AMAZON!!  :heart:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [CHI] Maggie Cheung Man Yok 張曼玉
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
Maggie Cheung Officially Made a UNICEF Ambassador in China :thumbup

The international film star Maggie Cheung was announced as a United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) ambassador in China on Thursday, April 29, 2010, CRIENGLISH.com reports.

A press conference was held at UNICEF's office in China. UNICEF representative Yin Yin New attended the event along with Cheung. After a simple signing ceremony and the certificate presentation, Cheung was officially made a UNICEF Ambassador in China. She promised to use her fame to improve the situation of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged children in the country.

"I have long respected the work of UNICEF in different parts of the world," Maggie remarked at the event, which was held at the agency's Beijing office compound. "I am greatly honoured by this new role as a spokesperson and advocate for the most vulnerable children in China, and I'm looking forward to helping to improve public awareness on critical issues facing children."

"I've asked myself many times why I can have what every girl dreams of - beauty, fame and fortune; I have wondered why I was able to achieve this position, and now I know the reason: the thing that I'm doing right now. I've gained so much, and now it's time to give something back to society and to the people who need my help. As a well-known person, it is my responsibility to encourage the public to take more notice of the vulnerable and disadvantaged children."

Together with Yin Yin New, Cheung visited the communities and children that have been hit hard by HIV/AIDS in southwest China's Yunan Province. During the press conference, the host shared some experiences from this trip.

Cheung had the chance to see how children are affected by HIV/AIDS, and how successful efforts to boost HIV prevention and care are helping these communities. This was clearly a meaningful trip for the actress. "You cannot fully understand the feeling until you actually come face to face with those people, who suffer unimaginable poverty and hardship."

Cheung's most impressive moment during the trip to Yunan was a conversation between her and several HIV-affected mothers. They told Maggie their stories. When telling her about the hard times they'd been through, the mothers couldn't stop crying. Maggie was incredibly moved and cried together with them. She told the mothers that they shouldn't be afraid to cry. It is good to release the pain that has been suffered before, and then face the future with hope.

During the conference, Cheung was asked to name a book for children to read. She recommended the French novel "The Little Prince", written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

UNICEF was the first United Nations agency to appoint celebrity Ambassadors to help call the public's attention to the urgent needs of children. The first UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador was American comedian Danny Kaye, who was appointed in the 1950's. Another famous appointee was Audrey Hepburn. Today, nearly 200 celebrities and artists from numerous countries serve as UNICEF Ambassadors at international and national levels throughout the world.

"We are delighted to welcome Ms. Maggie Cheung as UNICEF Ambassador in China," said Dr. Yin Yin New. "As one of the world's best known Chinese cinema artists, she will help us to continue raising the profile of children's issues. We are thoroughly delighted that such a respected and acclaimed artist will lend her voice to the cause of children."

UNICEF China aims to enlist Ms. Maggie Cheung's support for public advocacy on key children's rights issues, such as support for children affected by HIV/AIDS, migrant and left-behind children and children with disabilities.

UNICEF will begin a new five-year program of cooperation with the government of China in 2011, focusing on the most vulnerable children and women in China.

By Li Bo

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
here she is at Dior Cruise 2011 fashion show on May 15, 2010 in Shanghai, China

man, I copped a few of her movies with Michelle Yeoh, and Anita Mui "Executioners" & "Heroic Trio" Johnnie To directed - hard core shit! Indiana Jones-esque lol

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »

Been watching some Police Cadet '84 and Maggie is lookin fiiiiiiiiiiiine in some short shorts 80s style. She finally overcomes her bookworm shyness and dates the loudmouth (what else? lol) police cadet Tony Leung.

chillin at the beach

and goofin off

while the scene ends with grape eating bowchickawowow!

Watch out. Tony's half brother wants a piece too.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »
Maggie flawless. Best Actress in Asia!

lol...

Offline superthefox

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »
Hahaha. The pictures with Jackie are pretty enjoyable. Maggie is one of my favorite actresses, without question. Even without saying a word she can express so much and make you feel so many things and it's always feeling very real. She's similar (and fittingly so) to Tony Leung Chiu-wai in that way, I think.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
^ forever vibrant in her smile. :D I wish she did end up with Tony but oh well!

Maggie Cheung, Gigi Leung and other celebrities helped open a new LV boutique in the Taipei 101 skyscraper last night.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
in the anniversary issue of Figaro :inlove:

for all the hype dem starlets get, Maggie is BAR NONE best AND most glamourous Asian actress EVER.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »

Poor Maggie lol, the internet can be so cruel :/

[2012.11.23] JUST FOR FUN: HARSH ONLINE CRITICISM FOR MAGGIE CHEUNG'S PERFORMANCE

The 48 year old Maggie Cheung Man Yuk not only loves acting but in recent years also has fallen for music, as she jams with a group of musicians and write songs. Earlier at the Vogue magazine 120th anniversary event in Beijing she performed and rocked the event. However her deep singing voice received harsh online criticism, as it merciless called bad and some even claimed to have fainted from fright as soon as she opened her mouth.

Posted by hktopten

c'mon it ain't so bad. think bjork XD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:47 PM »
lol old school Maggie 近日张曼玉17岁时清纯泳装照曝光,那年她回到香港被星探发掘当兼职模特,青涩小丫头日后蜕变成华语影后。

Probably from her Miss Hong Kong pageant days. ONE PIECE BABY!

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
FRESH! still so sexy rockin da fashion on the cover of Chinese Vogue

You know. The Maggie/Leslie Connection RUNS DEEP. from their movie collabo such as Behind The Yellow Line 缘份 fun romantic Shaw Bros comedy from 1984

and in the rare TVB days - with Leslie singing the theme of course.

OF COURSE in Wong Kar-wai's ensemble collabo-ing in Ashes of Time and Days of Being Wild with the historic pick up line when Leslie made Maggie stare at her watch: "From now on we're one minute friends. It's a fact. You can't deny it....I'll be back tomorrow."

interview from back in the days with Tony Leung Ka Fai too

Good friends. Good times!!

ETA:

great article on their relationship: http://lesliecheung.cc/memories/our_dear_leslie_eng.htm

From lesliepillow ~
An English translation from a French magazine Cahiers du Cinéma no.579 - May 2003 by Nadia

They have been the most beautiful couple of cinema in 80s and 90s. Maggie Cheung's respects to his partner since she was 19 years old.

I remember the first time I told myself: "Wow! Here the most beautiful and perfect face I've seen in my life!" It was on Spring of 1984, I was 19 years old and I played my second film 'Behind the yellow line'. Leading actors were Leslie Cheung, Anita Mui and me. 19 years again passed by, my memories of the film faded away, but there is an unforgettable thing: 'Behind the yellow line' has been the starting point of a veritable career of a star for an actor who was at that time only average known. The lead song of the movie 'Monica' was a hit and also signed a new era of the Cantopop. Afterward many other Leslie's songs reached the top of charts. And, it's right to tell, he contributed very much to make Hong Kong movies so world-wide renowned.

In spite of our many collaborations during years, Leslie and me, we never became intimate friends, since, in a way, we didn't share the same view of the world and we had very different personalities. This fact didn't prevent me from admiring his beauty and his sensibility which he put at disposal of his movies and his talent as a singer.

Particularly I noticed one thing during the night-shooting of a scene on 'Days Of Being Wild'. Morning was coming and we were ready to shoot the last scene of the night. In that scene my character must go to take back his personal stuff at the apartment of the man who broke her heart, played by Leslie. The camera was on me, you could see Leslie's back only, but at the end of the shooting he must go out of the screen to return to his room. Everybody was tired and we wish for one thing only: finishing to shoot in a fast way and going to bed. While the staff prepared camera and lights, I looked at Leslie slowly rehearsing in order to obtain the most appropriate "sound of footsteps" to reach the corridor. This movie was one of the first films shot without dubbing in Hong Kong. But at that time Leslie was already conscious of the importance of this kind of details, for the sake of the project and of the character. I was very impressed and I must admit I secretly stole from him this trick. I've used it in movies I've played afterward.

I admire all his courage. There is only a very little bunch of celebrities in Hong Kong ready to openly admit their homosexuality. This is a very hard thing in a society where rules of beauty are a 22 years old woman with spotlessly clean complexion, a skin with no signs of suntan, hands and feet admirably treated and nail-varnished.

Leslie suffered for many years from the pressure of paparazzi who followed him continuously to force him to his coming out. Taking on him a great risk for his career (since almost the most of his fans were teenagers), he stood up with pride and no shame to talk about his sexual preferences. I remember I thought: "Happy for you, Leslie!"

From a personal point of view I would like to remember my last meetings with him. The first time was at the wedding party of one of my close friend, Anna, just one year ago, on April 2002. It was a huge party and it was rare for Leslie attending such a crowded event. I was both surprised and enchanted to meet him there. We looked for a way to avoid the crowd for some minutes and we went to chat near the bar. I was a bit worried because my assistant Teresa (who worked for him too at that time) told me before he wasn't in a good shape. We chatted about his life, his health, about his depression which became more and more oppressive. At the end of our conversation he said: "I wanted so much to work with you again on another project, but I'm not handsome enough to play your lover any more". I was shocked to hear this from him, I never could imagine a man like Leslie was losing his self-confidence. I tried to find right words to tell him he was always wonderful, but somebody came to take a picture with me. After I was hurried to join him at the bar, but Teresa told me he already left the party.

I met him for the very last time at the end of 2002, attending a dinner organised by Jackie Chan for some close friends. I went to the toilet and Leslie accompanied me. We had finally a long chat... Funny place for a funny conversation, but Leslie was made in this way. The day after, at the end of the morning, he asked Teresa to tell me to call him back. We continued our conversation - a conversation which he wished to keep it secret. He told me, at the end, that I deserved a wonderful life and I must take good care of myself. We say good-bye and we put down the telephone.

Well, that's OK, my dearest Leslie, I will do my best... I promise.
- by Maggie Cheung

:heart: :heart: amazing how Leslie touches people's lives like Maggie's great great read
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:32:17 PM by Assman »

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »

Maggie cheung hosting!!  金马奖今年迎来第50年,大会执委会主席侯孝贤亲自邀请张曼玉担任本届“金马大使”。TUNGSTAR/文并图标签: 张曼玉 金马 大使

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dip - It`s Too Late