JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hoover`s Ooover - Hakkanou

Author Topic: [Discuss] Kung Fu Flicks  (Read 50626 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[Discuss] Kung Fu Flicks
« on: March 20, 2005, 12:47:11 AM »
Kung Fu Flicks

Who likes Kung Fu movies? From Bruce Lee to Gordon Liu Chia Hui (aka Pei Mei in the Kill Bill series), Jackie Chan to Sammo Hung, Donnie Yen to Jet Li, and hell - Stephen Chow Sing Chi too!! :P you gotta love em all!!

What's your favorite movies?
Who are your favorite actors?
How did you get turned on to kung fu flicks?

REACT TO ME!!

(Clips Pix Praise to come!! :halo: )
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:23:09 AM by Masa »

Offline delerium

• Ass & Titties
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 01:18:32 AM »
Greatest Martial Arts film of all time (IMO)...
IRON MONKEY

Some small clips nabbed the website (Quicktime required):
1) http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PORQ8V81YYDW1BPWW1E7AR4KY
2) http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IPJIPKHB2Z3C1Q2QILZVLN6FE

Also... honorable mention to Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.  :lol:

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 04:38:13 AM »
Don't forget about The Legend of Drunken Master (the original Chinese movie series, NOT the badly dubbed version of D.M. Pt.2  that Hollywood hacked and released a few years back).  :cheers  :JD:  :cheers

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline street bastard

• Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 04:05:31 PM »
Andy Lau and Ekin Chan kick mad ass too.

I like some of the newer Kung Fu flicks where they're throwing fireballs and tornados and flying around stuff. They're usually violent as all hell. I'm not too hip to Hero and House of Flying Daggers though... if I'm watching a movie from Hong Kong whether it be Kung Fu or Action I wanna see blood dammit!

Fave films... too many to name... but Deadful Melody and I think it's called Butterfly Comet and Sword are both insanely violent.

No flavor of the month this time at the Compound.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:59:57 AM »
Quote from: street bastard

SHIIIIIIT Bastard. You must've watched "Storm Riders" or some wack shit. They're just lame-ass Canto Pop singers who have stunt doubles and wires. Hell, they're not even good dancers. They only look so good thanks to Master Yuen Wo-Ping. :evil:

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 08:44:01 PM »
Nice going there with the Bruce Lee info, daigong!!!

:cheers  :cheers  :cheers

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 08:39:05 AM »

Fist of Legend!! wheeee
and some others too..

awsome Bruce Lee info.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
Word. Isn't Bruce Lee the shit? Gordon Liu is next. :pimp:

Offline street bastard

• Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »
Quote from: daigong
Quote from: street bastard

SHIIIIIIT Bastard. You must've watched "Storm Riders" or some wack shit. They're just lame-ass Canto Pop singers who have stunt doubles and wires. Hell, they're not even good dancers. They only look so good thanks to Master Yuen Wo-Ping. :evil:

Bah! Who cares!? It's all cool to me! I like them from non kung-fu flicks too.

No flavor of the month this time at the Compound.

Offline ytl

• ecchi
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 04:30:34 AM »
Wanna hear about what I (Hong Kong born) think about those Kung Fu actors?  

Bruce Lee is the first to make it to the world.
Sammo breaks the sterotype of Kung Fu.  Fat ppl can kick ass too.
Jacky Chan make himself from a hero to a stupid clown.
Jet Li tried his best to keep it real for awhile.  
Donney Yan is another real Kung Fu actor but never make it big.
Stephen Chow is just a Bruce Lee fan who got too much money to waste so he make himself a Kung Fu actor by producing Kung Fu Hustle.

Yuen Wo Ping tried to keep Kung Fu going but end up helping the wire fu more than the real Kung Fu.

But to most Chinese, Jin Yong (Kam Yung 金庸) is the one who affects Chinese Kung Fu the most.  He is the one who keeps people interest in Kung Fu.  He is the most popular contemporary author who wrote Martiall Art novels (武俠小說) with "real" historic background and the true Chinese personalities.  His books are the most popular among Chinese.  Most of the Chinese Wu Xia drama made these days are from his novels.  And all those Chinese fighting manga and stuff are heavily influenced by his novels too.  I can safely say without his novels, you will never see CTHD, and others Kung Fu movie, as if you never see Japanese can make a genre called Judo movie.  If you have time to read a translated work of his or if you can read the original, you'll see how the hell Kung Fu become Wire Fu.  Those great image work of wire fu are all inspired from his novels.  Just only now we have the technology to implement it, to make the Kung Fu movie more interesting.  

How many ppl tell the style of fighting in an action movie?  There are many style of fighting but in a long run they will look so similar to each other in the audience mind.  So I think wire fu is a good invention, but to totally dump the kung fu and solely using wire fu is kind of going too far.  I wish I will see some real Kung Fu movies come up again.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:05:26 AM »
Good take :thumbsup ytl!!

That's what I heard from my Moms. From all those Kam Yung 金庸 novels gives us all those TVB "mo hup" dramas, right? I don't know too much about that stuff and just grew up with Bruce and Jackie.

Sometimes I think Wire Fu and the Matrix style is ruining plain old Kung Fu. CTHD was just flying around. I mean, Chow Yun Fat is not even trained in martial arts!!!

Offline ytl

• ecchi
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »
Thx for the compliment.  I am glad that many people are still following Kung Fu movies and Bruce Lee.  I am born after his death so I never feel his influence.  But boy, am I glad that he totally changed people's perception of weak Chinese.  Since I am born in HK and grew up in HK, I am more exposed to Kung Fu stuff.  Actually during the 60s and 70s, there are many HK ppl practise martial arts, now only few new generation pratise it.  

I found out there is a very good introduction of Jin Yong in Wiki.  I've read it myself so I can assure you those information is correct.  I don't know where can you find the translated novels of his though.  I strongly recommend his novels work.  There is none that I don't like.  Every novel brings out some different issues or morals that happens around you.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yong

Offline ahcheungape

• Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 11:14:13 AM »
does jackie chan's movies count as kung fu??

personally i love to watch his very old movies along wit Samo hung. although their fighting arent really kung fu, but their stunts and tricks are fucking awsome to watch.

Offline ytl

• ecchi
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:24:47 AM »
Those are still Kung Fu, just not as hardcore as Jet Li and others.  Jet Li was Shaolin Champion couple times in China before becoming actor.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 06:49:34 PM »
I read somewhere (either in an article interview or in a book) that Jackie admits that hits style of movie martial arts is designed specifically to look good on camera.  It's meant to be show-y, instead of authentic and practical.  With Jet Li and Bruce Lee (and I think even the guy from Ong Bak, Fucking GREAT movie btw as long as it's subbed, not dubbed), the martial arts are more "authentic" in that you can actually use in a fight and kick ass with it.  

First time I saw Sammo Hung I was like, "DAMN!!!"   :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:   He's an AWESOME fighter for a big man.  He definitely bucks the trend of martial artists having to be lean and muscular in order to be good, agile fighters.   :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Offline ytl

• ecchi
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 05:22:54 AM »
Different from other martial arts, some style of Chinese martial arts builds upon experience more than power.  If you wanna still kick asses when you are 80yrs old, learn Wing Chun or Tai Chi.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 05:09:46 AM »
Wing Chun is a true "street" or real world martial art. Got to protect the centre line. Bruce Lee's JKD is based on Wing Chun. Samo, JC, Yuen Biao, and the other Fortunes all have some background in it. Two of the best "true" kung fu movies (I think at least) also happen to star Samo. They are Royal Warriors 2, and The Prodigal Son. Those movies kick serious ass!

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 03:34:39 AM »
I just watched "The 36th Chamber" otherwise known as "Master Killer" again. That movie is always good. I never forward or skip chapters when I watch it.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 05:58:21 PM »
I NEVER skip chapters/fast-forward in any martial arts movie.  Sure the story might be hella stupid, but it's still a story.

Offline mrhomiec

• ecchi
  • Member+
Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 07:11:40 AM »
i also reccomend Ong Bak. that's a kickin movie. the main actor did all of his own stunts (just like Jackie Chan, uh oh, watch out!)
and another movie is Kung-Fu Hustle (if you haven't seen it already) if you thought Shaolin Soccer was the shiz, this is one blew it away. what are you doin still readin my post? go and see it already!  :P

JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hoover`s Ooover - Hakkanou