JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 80kidz - 7inch Pop

Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings Online  (Read 49256 times)

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
The Lord of the Rings Online
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »

Official Website | Official Wiki | Official Youtube
@ Massively | @ Wikipedia

The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) is the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. LOTRO takes place in a persistent online world populated with real and computer players that continue to function even when you turn the game off.
--
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (commonly abbreviated to LOTRO, LotRO) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) for Microsoft Windows set in a fantasy universe based upon J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth writings. It takes place during the time period of The Lord of the Rings.
On June 4, 2010 Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced that The Lord of the Rings Online will adopt a free-to-play model. - The game is now Free-to-Play

--     Join Us!     --     
A number of JPH!P members are currently playing LOTRO daily. We have a kinship formed, on server Elendilmir. Anyone is free to join. We can help you get rolling. Drop by IRC, many of the LOTRO players are in there often. Come kill wights and shit with us :thumbup

System requirements

• Minimum Specifications
    • CPU: 1.8 GHz or Athlon equivalent: 1800
    • RAM: 512 MB
    • Video card: 64 MB, DirectX 9.0c
    • HDD Space: 7 GB

• Recommended Specifications
    • CPU: 2.8 GHz or Athlon equivalent
    • RAM: 1 GB
    • Video Card: 128 MB
    • HDD: 10 GB

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:53:25 PM by Amplifier »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: The Lord of the Rings Online
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
I played the original beta before release, then the free trial about two years ago. I really enjoyed it, just didn't have the time/money to continue!

At any rate, they're shifting to a free-to-play model, like they did with their Dungeons & Dragons Online property. I just started playing the beta for that yesterday. You can sign up here: http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/ - It plays similar to World of Warcraft, though the community seems to be a tad more mature, and it's obviously more awesome for being a LOTR game.

>>>> Let's get playing, killing Balrogs, running like shit from Nazgûl!

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »
Definitely a must play. I'll try to sign up this weekend!

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »

Finally bothered to play some more  :sweatdrop: Made a dwarf now, just finished up the intro quests. Installed the high res texture pack (which was off in all these pics  :doh:), tested out some high end settings. Turned out pretty well, in low population areas, wondering how they'll go over in a busy area.

You guys can still sign up for the beta, which is running for a little longer. Otherwise, the it should go public pretty soon.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:20:17 AM »

Like my hat? :jerk: Leaving off the high res textures for now. I might prefer running the game with higher AA and effects, it looks quite nice. Running all around Ered Luin now, because I'm cool like that.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
Oh mang, where's my code! I want to be in LOTR world~
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:08 AM »

Ran around with my human character for a little, but he's not nearly as interesting as my dwarf. Took my dwarf over to some elven town, it's super beautiful. Think I'll ditch the dwarven quests for those, now.

Let's make hobbits together guiyz xD

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
mmm~
It doesn't look better than FFXIV, sry D:

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Granted, I have a two year old videocard, and can't enable all the effects and such, without the FPS dropping dramatically, so please don't compare this game to another so arbitrarily. Not that anyone should play an MMO any game for fancy graphics xD

Made a warden elf, and this shit is so much better than the dorf caster. The warden has an interesting combo system for attacks, even if it's a pain to remember them all :sweatdrop:

Totally got to hang out with Elrond earlier

(Also: No FFXIV allowed in here 8D)

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »
I only said anything because you said it looked better in IRC, is all 8D

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:19 AM »

On my way to Rivendell. I wanted to see it, but I was on the wrong side of the map (where everyone starts). I took my cheap, rented horse, and set off. Passed this crumbling shit on the way, it was surrounded by orcs. I passed them by, because I'm a man with business.

And here are shots from above and in Rivendell. Looks really pretty. It was mostly empty though, given the time / beta. Bree had a ton of people in it, and Bree is gigantic. Easily rivals Stormwind in size. The areas between the towns and cities look quite nice, and have a natural feel to them (unlike the mostly flat, awkward landscapes of WoW for instance). My computer didn't like trying to manage fancy shadows for the hundreds of trees in this area, so I had to turn those settings down. :sweatdrop:

Wish I had played LOTRO more earlier.. :doh: Most people are around my level (10), with the occasional 65 (max) around. Maybe they're busying killing cool shit or something :thumbup Hope shirenu and others can join me soon :cokecat:

Also: In Bree, I saw two guys playing instruments. They were playing the motherfucking Mortal Kombat theme. This game <3

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
I'm getting it! Let's get it so we can play together :heart:

20 hours to go... :lol:

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
I think I'll be getting in on this too. Getting frustrated with the arbitrary changes to my class in WoW, and I'm primarily an explorer, so a new universe to explore looks fun for me.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »

I made a Hobbit, Ninomiya, on the server Elend..rlm? Some Elvish junk. BE THERE :thumbup

Edit: Made a Human Hunter named Mayuyu. Add my characters to your friends list!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:02:12 AM by Amplifier »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
FINE I'll get it.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
The ability to play Barbie girl on the in-game instruments sold you? :rofl:

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:29 AM »
Maybe?
No.

I already knew that there was tons of musical stuff on there, but I think the tipping point was seeing the others start.
I'm a sheep like that.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 11:01:51 AM »
 :D

This stuff is too addictive :lol:

I started with a hobbit named Snowderp first (because Snowdrop was taken), but I made her a mistrel which was a bad decision because they're healers, not fighters ... So basically I'd die almost every time I tried to fight something on my own lol

So I decided to put that on hold and instead got me an elf lady called Sulwing (since Sulwen was taken), a champion, and YAHHEE I can fight things now and stuff :3 The quests are so so addictive... I wish I had discovered this game only AFTER I finish writing my thesis D:

Such beautiful scenery in this game, the atmosphere is amazing, music from the movies 8D ... Just waow. I wish I had a horse though lol Running around gets annoying

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 80kidz - 7inch Pop