JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Tookumade

Author Topic: [News] Maeda Atsuko to graduate from AKB48  (Read 51595 times)

Offline moehajiru

• よろしくお願いします。。。m(_ _)m 。。
  • Nihongo benkyo ikimashou..!!!!!
Re: [News] Atsuko Maeda to graduate from AKB48
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:01 AM »
ACCHAAAAN。。。。。。。!!!!!!

:pleeease:

Offline CtrlZee

• Undo
  • Member+
  • HAAAAPPY BIRTHDAAAAY TOOO YOUUU
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:29 AM »
AKB's ace, completely stepping down from her throne... IMHO it's not a choice well thought over. Well, if that's her choice then we shall respect it. Still, it's very hard to accept because we're talking about the FACE of AKB here...

Acchan's gonna have a new beginning. Same goes for AKB. Lets hope these turn out much better than expected.

Offline YKT

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • MayuyuOrg
    • MayuyuOrg
    • +YKTing
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »
JIJIpress coverage...this should stay up way longer

Offline z3144228

• ん♥♥
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »

14 minutes NEW scoop

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
I feel like I haven't made enough drama. ACCHAAAAAN!!!!  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, Acchan will do fine after AKB48.
Yes, AKB48 will survive and will still be great.

But that's not the point. This sucks because it is the end of an era. AKB48 will never be the same again.

Offline oist

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • chiyuu~
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
I hope this wont be the trigger for a mass graduation this year.....
Oh darn, how this news ruined my whole day..

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Anyone planning on going to her graduation concert?

Of course we don't exactly know when or where it is yet, but we do know that it will be one of the most memorable moments in AKB48 history. Secondly, it's probably the last chance of seeing Acchan perform with AKB48 in the near future.

Rather than spending a lot of money on the Japan Expo, I'm thinking of saving up, applying for overseas tickets (or normal ones, depending on that the options are) and just make the trip.

Jphip World Tour 2012 "Acchan, Arigatou" @ Tokyo?  :yep:

Offline t-motion

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
I , Atsuko Maeda of AKB48 , has an announcement for everyone

I will withdraw from AKB election. I'm sorry. I get the chance like this because I wanted to convey this directly.

https://plus.google.com/116582420246242769167/posts/Y9Ci8W8i1Eh

Offline yukofan

• Maiyan 4 life!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Shiraishi Mai
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
i respect her decision althought i want her to join the election and win it..so it means that manatsu no sounds good will be her last single with akb?

visit my tumblr : nogibaby.tumblr.com

Offline MaxMcKay

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Member+
  • Offence is taken, not given
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
So will she be allowed to handpick her successor or will that position fall to the next election winner?

Morning Musume died on December 15 2010 RIP ● S/mileage died on August 27 2011 RIP

Offline Deaglezero

• Deagle: The Eternal Warrior
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Chelsea, Barca let's roll!
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
^^That reminds me, who's going to win the next senbatsu if maeda's not there? All her votes will be distributed amongst the other girls....

Offline adsad

• Member+
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2012, 04:14:07 AM »
^
Aki-P and staff (and management) will be the ones who decide as they always did (and pick Acchan)

And those who voted Acchan probably won't have the same craziness as they once had last year since she isn't in the competition anymore, so the votes from that voting bloc will decrease from a lot (maybe 50%-70%).
And it might distribute to their second favorites (or their new AKB favorite)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 01:15:15 AM »
An idol 'graduating' should not be front-page news
By PHILIP BRASOR

Following Atsuko Maeda's March 25 announcement that she was leaving the all-girl idol collective AKB48, a rumor circulated on Twitter that a male University of Tokyo student had committed suicide in response. The rumor was quickly exposed as a hoax, but the point had been made. People were taking the news way too seriously. No one was really surprised when the sports tabloids made it their front-page story, but did the national dailies have to report it in such detail?

When Maeda said she was "graduating" from a group she joined as an original member at 14, she was already 20, the age of majority in Japan. As a commercial enterprise, AKB48 is fixated on adolescence, but there are members even older than Maeda who remain with the ship, so some commentators have been pondering the significance of her decision. She's nominally the group's most popular member and, more significantly, her endeavors as a solo entity have yet to meet with much success. In the past she said her main ambition was to be an actress, but the TV drama series she appeared in last summer, "Hanazakari ni Kimitachi," averaged a miserable 7 percent share per episode, and her big movie vehicle, "Moshi Koko Yakyu no Joshi Maneja ga Dorakka no 'Manejimento' wo Yondara," was a box-office dud. Adding insult to injury, the tabloid Sports Hochi awarded her its Hebi Ichigo Award — Japan's equivalent of Hollywood's Razzies for the worst film performances of the year.

Some in the show-business press hold that Maeda may be unselfishly making room for young AKB members to rise higher in the organization, but gossip columnist Yoshiko Matsumoto thinks it might be something else. She sympathizes with Maeda and believes the young star wasn't happy in the group. It's lonely at the top, and the pressure to stay there is more emotionally vexing than it's worth. People misread her slightly contrarian attitude as the outward manifestation of a grouchy constitution, but the politics that rules AKB forces her to do things that must be trying on a day-to-day basis, such as putting up with colleagues' "overly considerate" attentions.

The group's producer and songwriter, Yasushi Akimoto, once described Maeda as "stoical," adding she isn't comfortable with "wishy-washy relationships." When Akimoto talks about AKB, it's often difficult to tell if he's being naive or cynical. Like the comment he made to CNN several months ago that his sexually suggestive lyrics are merely a means of "depicting reality" so that the girls and their fans will think about such sensitive topics, his analysis of Maeda's personality glosses over what's obvious, which is that she's forced by circumstance to be Akimoto's point-person in a project that endeavors to explain how young Japanese women think and feel.

By now nobody with half a gram of critical faculty believes AKB's appeal is purely musical. Any entertainment value derived from their records or performances is qualified by their mission to be both famous and accessible. Akimoto's boldest twist on the classic idol formula is to tie sales of AKB merchandise to involvement with the group, even if the involvement is heavily controlled: the meet-and-greet sessions after shows and, especially, the "elections" to decide which member is the most "popular."

These elections may have had more to do with Maeda's decision than anything else. Contests to determine popularity are the cruelest kind, and it's said that the first time Maeda won an election the audience was clapping and calling her name just before the emcee announced the runner-up, meaning that, while everyone expected her to win, many vocalized their hope that she wouldn't. The next year, when her crown was taken away by Yuko Oshima, Maeda said she was relieved, and the year after that, when she got it back, she made a strange but revealing comment: She knew there were people who hated her, but "please don't hate AKB48."

It was too late. The haters were out in force, and it appears most of them are women. It's no secret that, unlike past "people's idols" (kokumin-teki aidoru), such as Pink Lady or Morning Musume, AKB48 is designed to appeal specifically to a preadult male sensibility, regardless of actual age. Except for elementary school girls who aspire to be in the group, females seem to have a tough time empathizing with or appreciating AKB48.

Part of it has to do with sex. Pundit and sex-paraphernalia entrepreneur Minori Kitahara has said that AKB doesn't demonstrate the "sexual self-awareness" of female K-pop artists since that would be intimidating to male fans, who still prefer their objects of desire to be demure and unyielding.

Not to mix metaphors, but the catfight in the goldfish bowl that AKB's public activities showcase — from backstage documentaries to variety-show appearances — is what keeps those male fans riveted and female nonfans repulsed. In a feature article in Aera that diverged from Matsumoto's tack, AKB was said to symbolize the "lack of freedom" that young women still have to struggle with in Japanese society, though the writer also wondered if expressing such a viewpoint wasn't "being too mean."

This cautious tone shows how tough it is to discuss the group with any sort of candor and not come across as being petty and nasty. Whatever one wants to make of Akimoto's questionable PR decisions — presenting his charges as, literally, fantasy bedmates, or having them smooch one another suggestively in TV commercials — the girls' main appeal is still their accessibility, which, in the context of Japanese show business, is a pretty good joke. The operating principle of idolhood is that fans don't feel the sort of distance from their heroes that they might feel toward performers with ambition and demonstrable talent. AKB48 just makes the relationship clearer. Consequently, Maeda's retirement seems contrived, so her fans shouldn't fret. Someone will find something for her to do.
The Japan Times: Sunday, April 15, 2012

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:09 AM »
The Japan Times never has a nice word for AKB & Friends, so..

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 05:07:09 AM »
Quality journalism from The Japan Times, once again. Their entertainment articles are no stranger to butthurt. They talk trash about whatever is popular. I remember reading some totally "wtf" articles about Morning Musume in college. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:18:44 AM by Datalanche »

Offline MaxMcKay

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Member+
  • Offence is taken, not given
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
So Japan Times is the equivalent of Daily Express & the Daily Mail  :rofl:

Morning Musume died on December 15 2010 RIP ● S/mileage died on August 27 2011 RIP

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Japan Times writer Philip Brasor is actually a very good writer, and he has lived in Japan for many years.

But there is a real attitude problem in general with the foreign writers at that paper towards AKB48- any chance to build up their own group by putting down AKB48, and they take it. Japan Times is an independent paper, whereas the Daily Yomiuri is part of the Yomiuri Shinbun group.

So Daily Yomiuri treats idol groups as part of the larger group of modern culture in Japan- cosplay, anime, drama, musicians, musical theatre, etc. They actually interview various entertainers and performers, and present positive stories that both fans and the curious can appreciate.

Writers at Japan Times tend to promote more obscure independent bands.......and I applaud them for that, but I do wish they wouldn't do the butthurt articles  "wah, wah, wah, my group is so much better than AKB48, and only perverts like AKB48 and I am totally butthurt that  AKB48 is popular, because everyone confuses popularity with quality music, and it's the exact opposite!!!!"

At Daily Yomiuri, they treat AKB48 as more than just a musical group- they explore the massive advertising revenue generated by the group, they have covered the fundraising / charity side of AKB48, they have done interviews with individual members.  AND the Daily Yomiuri also covers the obscure independent bands as well.

The truth is that the idol business is long and well established in Japan- Idol groups are not universally loved (what music genre is universally loved?? Other than He-Man singing "What's Going On") It is generally foreigners who have the big overreaction to the whole idol business, although a lot of foreigners really get into Japanese pop culture.

To sum it up, I think the Japan Times is a good paper, but they really miss the boat with idol groups, and the positive nature of the Daily Yomiuri adds up to more sales and a far more comprehensive and entertaining entertainment section.

Come on Japan Times, you got to ask yourself- what's going on?

Offline troyakmed

• Member+
  • Tomo > AKB48
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
Im a month late and just found this out, totally shocked.
Dont think it will ever be the same, but they'll be alright.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
I was able to hold a meeting with Atsuko Maeda the other day. I had passed her by in places like the studio, but did not have time to sit down and talk to her since that day in Saitama Super Area.

About AKB, her peers, her juniors, her fans, and about her own future…
Though she is not good with words, she shared her sincere thoughts with me.
I was touched to see that the shy 14 year old girl that always hid in a shell had matured into a 20 year old woman, who cared for others and shared those feelings with me.

Although she is still not good with words, because of that I felt I understood her raw and direct feelings.
And the shy expression she shows every now and again is the same “Acchan” I knew.

Anyhow, Atsuko Maeda will be graduating after the Tokyo Dome concert and the AKB theater performance on the following day. (detailed schedule will be announced on a later date.)

Good luck, Atsuko Maeda!!
https://plus.google.com/105907901684489513939/posts/YMBNiMEPQDL

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Tookumade