JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - Let`s Talk About Love

Author Topic: SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed | New Stargate film in the works  (Read 8886 times)

Offline Linus

• Member+
Producer-writer Dean Devlin confirmed today at the San Diego Comic-Con that he is in talks with MGM Studios to shoot parts two and three to his original 1994 sci-fi film Stargate, which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader.

:o :D :pimp: :heart: :drool: :yep:

Devlin, speaking to the Comic-Con crowd about his next production, the World War I pilot drama Flyboys[/URL], said he has signed a multi-picture deal with MGM and wants the completion of his originally envisioned "Stargate" trilogy to be considered for those slots.

"I'd want the films to stay on track for what the original three were planned to be," said Devlin. "I'd want to let the series stand on their own."

Stargate, a project that no one believed in – according to Devlin, has become an international sensation following successful SCI FI Channel series "SG-1" and "Atlantis." Devlin told attendees that watching what the "Stargate" phenomenon had become has been a great experience – likening it to a dream that had 'come to life, left his head, walked across the street, got married and had children.' You can't help but be proud of that."

"We've always envisioned it as a trilogy," Devlin added later when talking directly to the press about the sequels. "'Stargate' was also supposed to be the first part of three. We had written all three, not the script, but the story, when we did the first one and due to the nature of how that film got made, and how MGM has changed so many times, and their commitment to doing the series, they've been very reluctant to do the movie. Well, under this new regime we've been in discussions with them and basically said, 'Look, one doesn't have to hurt the other. The series is doing great. Fans love the series, so much that it got a sequel. They may even be doing a third spinoff they're talking about. So it's alive, well and in good shape. But it would be great to finish telling the story we set out to tell 12 years ago.

So would he get Kurt Russell and James Spader back? He said, "Absolutely." Roland Emmerich? "Roland would absolutely be involved in it, whether or not he directs it will really depends on how much money I raise to make the picture." (laughs) "'Stargate' started as a story that Roland wrote in college called 'Necropol: City of the Dead', which was about a space ship buried underneath the Great Pyramid of Egypt. I had been working on, separately, without ever knowing, this thing I always called 'Lawrence of Arabia on Another Planet.' And when we met, he pitched me Necropol, and I told him mine, and I said how can we turn these into one story and our conceptual artist suggested, he said, 'Well, you know what's used a lot in science fiction and literature, but not that much in movies is the idea of the transporter. You see it in 'Star Trek' and a little bit in 'The Fly', but it's really a common device in literature but not used properly in movies. And that became the link, the Stargate became the link between his script and my script.

Offline Linus

• Member+
SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed | New Stargate film in the works
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »
I'm totally on for it !!

I don't mind watching Stargate 2 and 3 as if SG-1 would have never existed. Don't misunderstood me, I love SG-1, but once in the cinema, I'd be totally amused by the fact that I'd be watching the real story as it was planned a decade ago, because indeed, Stargate was planned to consist of three movies, but because of it's success, MGM preferred to make it a tv show. SG-1 has had and has lots of success worldwide, but I'd love to see the original story in the cinemas.

I loved Stargate SG-1 from the first season to the fifth one. When the show went from Showtime to Sci Fi Channel, sixth, seventh and eight season disappointed me so much. Too much focus on Earth instead of going ala adventure out there in the galaxy. Last week, new season 10 premiere was... acceptable. But I still think it's far from the quality of the first fifth seasons. They say they want to end SG-1 with a movie making a bridge to a third spin-off series!! The second spin-off is Stargate Atlantis: I really want they to focus on Atlantis, but the show disappointed me as much as the latest SG1 season. I have hopes that the third series they're planning will be greater.

So, afterall, we might have two sequels, SG-1 movie, and a third series. Too much for a fan LOL Thanks God I'm not addicted to Atlantis and currently, neither to SG-1. So my eyes are totally for the sequels if they ever get done. Go MGM!

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:20:26 AM »
I absolutely love the original movie, so this should be interesting. I had a huge crush on the movie when I was younger, made me slightly obsessed with Egyptian culture and all sorts of things XD;;

I never cared much for the tv shows. Tried watching the first series when it first began, but never got into it.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:01 PM »
I hope the movie sequel would be so different than the tv series. Maybe they start a new tv series following the new movie.
coot is ctz

Offline Ruffy

• JPH!P Ladylover
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »
I didn't even know there was a tv series of SG. but I really liked the movie when I watched it. even though i twas a while ago. wouldn't mind a sequel or two.

wonder what actors they will use. Kurt russell is probably too old by now..

Offline Linus

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
No more talks. Apparently, everything is in the works already!!

After Devlin let the cat out of the bag at the San Diego con, Sci Fi Wire (Sci Fi Channel magazine) interviewed him.

Dean Devlin, co-writer and producer of the original Stargate movie, told SCI FI Wire that he has struck a production deal with MGM and is developing the long-delayed sequel feature films that will pick up the story from the 1994 original—but not the mythology subsequently elaborated on in the SCI FI Channel original series Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Devlin added that he hopes to enlist original stars Kurt Russell (Jack O'Neill) and James Spader (Dr. Daniel Jackson), who have expressed an interest.

"When we created the original Stargate, we always envisioned it as a trilogy, and, unfortunately, the way in which the movie got made, we didn't really have control over [it]," Devlin (The Triangle) said in an interview at Comic-Con International in San Diego on July 20. "We didn't have the ability to do two and three. MGM had then made a big commitment to doing the [SG-1] series, and they were worried that the movie could interfere with the series. Well, now that the series has run so successfully for so long and spawned a second series, and there's a whole new regime at MGM, they're not really worried about, the series is running great on its own. And they think there is an audience out there who would like to see what parts two and parts three were intended to be. Because there was a larger story arc that we had in mind, and we never got to explore it so I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

Both Russell and Spader have "always said they wanted to do it," Devlin added. "They've always said they wanted to do it. ... The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made Stargate, [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely."

The sequels would steer clear of the TV show mythologies, Devlin added. "That's right," he said. "We would just continue the mythology of the movie and finish that out. I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel. So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."

Roland Emmerich directed the first film. "Roland wants to be involved in the development of it, and he wants the first opportunity to decide if he gets to direct it," Devlin said. "I think a lot of it will depend on what it costs to make. Roland now, he's making some pretty big pictures, so a lot of it will depend upon how much money I can raise to [do] part two and three. But he definitely is interested in it. He's always loved the story arc, and the second and third parts are really interesting, and so it would be fun, it would be fun to explore."

Offline jmantaiwan

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 04:13:25 PM »
I loved the 1st movie! I really hope that the next one is as good. I would love to see the story continue!

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 05:14:15 PM »
That's great news! I remember reading how they'd planned to do a trilogy but then Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich went on to do Independance Day, and because that was such a big hit they moved on to other things. Something like that anyway.

The first film was great and I didn't bother with the series so I really hope they follow this through and get Russell and Spader back.

Offline Linus

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:43:09 PM »
Stargate SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed

Monday - August 21, 2006  |  by Darren Sumner

The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-1, Multichannel News reported today and a GateWorld source has confirmed. The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Stargate Atlantis, meanwhile, has been renewed for a fourth season, with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.

SG-1 has struggled in the ratings all summer, with the record-breaking tenth season premiering with a 1.4 household rating -- down more than 20 percent from last season's average. After a brief climb to a 1.6 in its second week, the show fell to a 1.3 in week four.

Viewers and production personnel alike have blamed a number of factors for the show's dramatically lower ratings, from SCI FI and Sony's lack of promotion to the removal of anchor show Battlestar Galactica from the Friday night line-up, to new competition from such shows as USA's hit Monk.

Though also down significantly in the ratings this summer, Atlantis has consistently scored better than SG-1.

"Studio executives are working to identify an alternative outlet for Stargate SG-1," Multichannel News said, citing sources close to the production.

http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/istargate_sg-1i_cancelled_iatlan.shtml

Offline Linus

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 07:43:36 PM »
SCI FI Channel confirms SG-1 cancellation

Monday - August 21, 2006  |  by Darren Sumner
                            In response to today's breaking news, SCI FI Channel has issued a statement confirming that the cable network has not renewed Stargate SG-1 for an eleventh year.

The network also confirmed that it has renewed spin-off Stargate Atlantis for Season Four, as first reported today by GateWorld (story).

Here is the network's statement:

"SCI FI Channel is proud to be the network that brought Stargate SG-1 to its record-breaking 10th season. Ten seasons and 215 episodes is an astounding, Guinness World Record-setting accomplishment. Stargate is a worldwide phenomenon. Having achieved so much over the course of the past 10 years, SCI FI believes that the time is right to make this season their last on the channel. SCI FI is honored to have been part of the Stargate legacy for five years, and we look forward to continuing to explore the Stargate universe with our partners at MGM through a new season of Stargate Atlantis."

http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/sci_fi_channel_confirms_isg-1i_c.shtml

Offline Linus

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 07:45:07 PM »
As part of an in-depth interview with TV Guide magazine, Stargate SG-1 exec producer Brad Wright reveals that while Sci Fi Channel may have announced the series' end after its 10th season wraps up, the show might go on. Promising "a very satisfying end to the season," Wright tells us that the finale is "not necessarily an end to SG-1 by any means." While Wright's ideal is to take SG-1 back to the big screen, a string of TV-movies — and/or a new spin-off series — might be a more likely outcome. "From MGM's perspective, we don't view SG-1 as a television series, we view it as a franchise, and one with a lot of vibrant life," says studio spokesman Jeff Pryor. "There's absolutely no reason in the world there couldn't be and won't be another series that takes part in the Stargate universe." Noting that even Sci Fi was pleasantly impressed by SG-1's longevity — the expectation at one time was to usher it off the air soon after Stargate Atlantis' debut — original programming exec Mark Stern says, "We love this franchise, and if there are other ways to explore this world, we're certainly open to it. This is not the end of our journey with Stargate by any means."

Longest running SciFi series Stargate SG1 cancelled. Season 10 will be the last on Sci Fi Channel. And the last, last, maybe.

OH OH!
Original creator will do his triology?
SG-1 will be in a new channel?
Be a movie?

:o

Offline nazokage

• rika ishikawa's boyfreind (i wish)
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 08:43:46 PM »
:evil:  OHH NO!!! that isent good !! i like SG1 A Whoooooooolllllllleeeeeeeee LOT! Better than stargate atlantis with the cancelation i dont think there is anything i care about on the so called "Sci Fi" Channel that is more of a reality channel than a sci fi channel:cry:

credit to arian and strawchan for picts

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
Man, it definitely sux to hear this news.
SG1 has been one of my favorites to watch.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline ToasterKing

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 07:06:16 AM »
Definitely looking forward to watching a new Stargare movie. Wasn't all too interested in SG-1 *puts on flamesuit*

Offline nazokage

• rika ishikawa's boyfreind (i wish)
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 07:12:24 AM »
lol Toaster.... well if you dident like the series .. and the movie will probally have something to do with the series you might not like it as much as most would like it who like both.

credit to arian and strawchan for picts

Offline frutillo

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 06:01:10 AM »
i love the original. the concept was great.

Offline desidarko

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
man i was kinda pissed when i heard they were gonna cancel sg1 , it was liek my favorite show until jack left , but they were making theyr way back slowly with the new cast member vaala. But yeah if oneill had stayed on the show it would probably have goen for seasson 12 or maby 14 ....

but another things is the actors seemed to be a little arrogent as the seasosn go by , its liek they become so shure of their possisions that they demand mroe and put out less effort ... like micheal shanks and the guy who plays tylc they alwasy try to be script writers or directors instead of actors... wich kinda meses with the show imo...

but anywasy yeah im sad for the lloss of sg1 , i dotn really liek atlantis that much , it just doesnt feel right , i dont like the girls in that show and the guy with the locks, theyr  roles are just kinda messed up...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed | New Stargate film in the works
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 05:12:45 AM »
Bumpy.

A Stargate Atalantis 4x01 screener was posted to newsgroups.
Has only dialog no 'background sound effects', makes for a strange viewing :)

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »
Sept. 28th, Stargate Atlantis returns, new time @ 10pm. :rockon:

Kick off ep is titled "Adrift".

Amanda Tapping, Colonel Samantha Carter, joining the cast also in this new season.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 03:31:24 AM »
Amanda Tapping, Colonel Samantha Carter, joining the cast also in this new season.
Oooooooooooooooh, that's an interesting twist.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - Let`s Talk About Love