JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sparta Locals - Yume Station

Author Topic: [WEEK 1] H!P Single Review! Get & Morning Coffee  (Read 2833 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
[WEEK 1] H!P Single Review! Get & Morning Coffee
« on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
WELCOME TO H!P SINGLE REVIEW WEEK 1!

What?
Post your reviews of H!P singles!
The H!P singles will be up for review in the order of release. The threads will stay open so you can join in any time!

How?
Approach the singles any way you like. Include PVs, outfits, perfs etc. or only review the songs. It's all up to you :3
Nobody expects us to be professional writers so just have fun writing your review!
Feel free to incorporate your own grading system!
For example:  :thumbdown:  :twothumbs

Samples of the singles will be available in the Asshole :)

WEEK 1 SINGLES:

MICHIYO HEIKE - GET

1. GET
2. Prepare

PV:

MORNING MUSUME - MORNING COFFEE

1. Morning Coffee
2. Ai no Tane

PV:

LET IT BEGIN!!!
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: [WEEK 1] H!P Single Review! Get & Morning Coffee
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Heike Michiyo= GET

I like the song and the PV looked quite cheap but this was the start so I am not surprised but I'll give it a 6/10 for the single

Morning Musume= Morning Coffee

Same concept but love the song more than the PV, and I'll give it a 7/10

EDIT: Adding to Morning Coffee, I like the original five members so that was so awesome
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:08:52 AM by kurosawa87 »
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
Get
Pretty rockin' song! I think Heike Michiyo got the short end of all this H!P business, especially since she was the winner. The PV is fine, in my opinion. And there's a guitar solo, so no complaints from me about that. I can actually picture myself listening to this song regularly.

Morning Coffee
Zzzzzzz. It gets credit for being the first MM single, but it should've been switched with the b-side, which was way superior in every way. But let's pretend that's what Japan would have bought at the time, since I really have no idea.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
I'm probably gonna be reviewing each single differently each time (especially for those I especially like/know), so hopefully there will be more of these threads to come!

Michiyo Heike - GETS! "Get"
This thread is actually the first time I've heard this song and seen this video. :lol: Basically, I can see why she won the original audition. Some of her singing during the chorus sounds like just plain old yelling, but it works with the overall sound of the song. I like the drumming throughout, and the guitar solo by Hatake (that's Hatake from Sharam Q, right?). The video is very basic, but for basic it's pretty good with the different sets and lighting.

Overall decent song that could possibly grow on me if I heard it more often.

Morning Musume - "Morning Coffee"
I gotta admit, the first time I came across "Morning Coffee" on YouTube it creeped me out big time. I mean, the video starts with these five girls wearing the exact same outfits just standing in place, staring intensely at the camera wherever it moves with the same wide-eyed smile...I had no idea if they were trying to express a sense of love or trying to devour my soul. :P Like maliciel, I found the song to be a bit dull, but I had to admit it's also kinda catchy and relaxing with the '60s throwback sound...same goes for the B-side, "Ai no Tane". The videos for both songs were nothing special by themselves, but interesting in 1) how much the members of this lineup changed over time (just looking at Nacchi and Johnson is pretty funny), and 2) the context of where Momusu is now--makes you wonder if the current group can get away with filming a video the middle of a city with random people walking around. In fact, I'd love to see how that would go down. XD

The single gets props for being the one that started it all, otherwise largely unremarkable. But hey, the girls could definitely sing.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: [WEEK 2] H!P Single Review! Sotsugyou~TOP OF THE WORLD
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:31:25 AM »
BUMP!

Shirenu I feel your pain but I want to see where this might go so here's the next set

Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:51:57 AM »
About this project: I'm so sorry it's been on hold for such a long time, but I decided to wait until girl of the week cycle was over to focus on this, since nobody else took over lol. Now GOTW is on hiatus so we can get this thing going again, hopefully Wednesday :3 I hope people are still interested in posting their reviews, and interested in where H!P got started even if it was very different and a long time ago.

Michiyo Heike - GET
I actually fricking love this song. It's so catchy and energetic! Gets me all pumped up. I also really like the video, it reminds me of the grungy 90s music videos that I grew up watching. There may not be much of a story going on in the video, but who cares. Heike has a great voice and was a good choice to become a "rock vocalist". Too bad that's not really what happened.

Morning Musume - Morning Coffee
Ah, harmonies... Morning Coffee is a pretty song. Not the catchiest song ever, but it served its duty well: introducing Morning Musume and their voices to the major public. The lyrics are quite suggestive and I remember my mind being blown by it when I first realized it. Having morning coffee with your lover once you've had a night of intimacy, I get it I get it... It's even kind of brilliant that the title is entirely in English, because the use of katakana makes it less personal to a Japanese and thus a very intimate subject becomes safer to put out there in a song.

The video also supports the morning after theme with the girls in white dresses, and with the longing gazes and smiles. I noticed that many of the shots are very long, which actually felt refreshing compared to the fast editing that music videos usually have these days. It felt like for a moment you could really SEE the girls, not just a flash on the screen.

I don't listen to Morning Coffee very often, but I still think it's a lovely song and I think the concept was well thought-out, lol.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sparta Locals - Yume Station