JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Umasi Kamono

Author Topic: [CHI] Sam Hui 許冠傑  (Read 11390 times)

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
[CHI] Sam Hui 許冠傑
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:00:04 AM »
Samuel Hui Koon-kit 許冠傑

He is  best known for being a star in the Cantopop  and movie industry in Hong Kong's from the 1960s to 1990s. He was born on 6 September 1948. He graduated from the Arts Faculty of University of Hong Kong, Ying Wa College and St Francis Xavier's College in the late 1960s to early 1970s. He and his brothers Michael  and Ricky  made several comedy blockbusters in the 1970s. He is also acknowledged for popularising Cantopop, by incorporating the then unknown idiosyncrasies of Western popular music into the Cantopop genre.

Here is an old Album:

Sam Hui -The Privat Eyes OST (1976)

01. 半斤八兩
02. 浪子心聲
03. 打雀英雄傳
04. 梨渦淺笑
05. 大家跟住唱
06. 有酒今朝醉
07. 知音夢裡尋
08. 鬼馬大家樂: 香港交通歌 / 醫生頌 / 點解要擺酒 / 拍拖安全歌
09. 夜半輕私語
10. 斷腸夢
11. 追求三部曲
12. 流水恨

Download:
http://www.twitter.com/?d=QCKLEYZZ

Filmography (1973-2000)

Back Alley Princess (1973)    
The Tattooed Dragon (1973)         
Games Gamblers Play (1974)    
Naughty! Naughty! (1974)    
Chinatown Capers (1974)    
The Last Message (1975)    
The Private Eyes (1976)    
The Contract (1978)    
Security Unlimited (1981)    
Aces Go Places (1982)    
Aces Go Places II (1983)    
A Family Affair (1984)    
Aces Go Places - Our Man from Bond Street (1984)    
Working Class (1985)    
Aces Go Places IV (1986)    
The Legend of Wisely (1987)    
Chicken and Duck Talk (1988)    
Aces Go Places V (1989)    
Front Page (1990)    
Swordsman (1990)    
The Dragon from Russia (1990)    
The East Is Red (1993)    
Laughter of "Water Margins" (1993)    
All's Well End's Well, Too (1993)    
Winner Takes All (2000)    
りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

がんばれいな!- twitter - last.fm - DVD Profiler - tumblr

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [CHI] Sam Hui 許冠傑
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:17:20 AM »
GJ! :twothumbs

Hmm... I don't think I've ever seen any of Sam's movies. I'm listening to his album right now and I swear George Lam has covered the first song :O

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:34 AM »
Yeah maybe he did it in his 10 Minute Medley!

i know Sam Hui from his parody songs too, like Western songs Chinese-fied. Great lyrics! One of his more popular comedy songs:

THIS SONG. Is so famous:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »
GJ! :twothumbs

Hmm... I don't think I've ever seen any of Sam's movies. I'm listening to his album right now and I swear George Lam has covered the first song :O

DEEP!!!

Canto-pop king has a stroke of genius at his HKU singalong
Oliver Chou
 Feb 09, 2012

The "God of Canto-pop" showed his quick wit yesterday during a performance to help the University of Hong Kong celebrate its 100th anniversary at the Pok Fu Lam campus.

In response to a reporter's question on who he would choose to be chief executive out of the two main candidates, Samuel Hui Koon-kit replied: "Who is the genius, and who is the idiot?" He was quoting a line from the song Genius & Idiot that he wrote for the 1975 film The Last Message.

Clifton Ko Chi-sum, a film director and an organiser of yesterday's event, followed with the next line: "Can you or I tell who is?"

The HKU gathering saw "Ah Sam", as he has been affectionately known in Hong Kong for the past 40 years, emerge from a long break to cheer up his alma mater.

It came after the controversy over the visit of the Vice-Premier Li Keqiang and a mainland professor's verbal attack on Hongkongers, calling them "dogs".

The 64-year-old graduated from HKU in 1971 and returned to the campus to sing some of his most iconic melodies to an enthusiastic crowd of students, staff and alumni.

"I dedicate the following song specially to my HKU colleagues who have been unhappy lately," he said as he led the crowd in a singalong of The Ballad of a Rover.

The song from the 1970s is about a wise man's reflection on hyprocrisy and greed. "By singing it together, I hope it will soothe your emotions," Hui told the audience. The one-hour gathering, with the theme "Brighten me with virtues: Sam Hui's world", centred on a song the pop star wrote last year to celebrate HKU's centenary.

Sung in Cantonese, Hui's latest opus urges the university community to persevere in the face of "the darkest hour" and "standing fast against the wind and storm".

But he denied the university was adversely affected and that freedom of speech was curtailed during Li's visit last August, which he called "an isolated incident". He said: "We should appreciate the 100 years of HKU, and not just a single event.

"I do hope we are able to continue the university's tradition of virtues."

The Ballad of a Rover, he added, did not reflect his views on current events. "It was written a long time ago," he said with a laugh.

But he insisted that singing in Cantonese should be upheld to strengthen Hong Kong's identity. "[Hong Kong] Chinese should always listen to Cantonese songs, which appeal to our very soul, the soul of a dragon's descendant," he said.

Despite the low ebb at present, he called upon all Canto-pop writers to work hard to maintain the genre's status. "Most of us in Hong Kong are Cantonese speakers. Without Cantonese, our sense of belonging will be lost."

He said the attack on Hongkongers by Peking University professor Kong Qingdong "is biased against Cantonese speakers and is very inappropriate".

He said he would dedicate one of his three concerts in April at the Hung Hom Coliseum to HKU.

"As an alumni, I have the mission to cheer up my folks when such time calls for it, just like the song Keep On Smiling I wrote and sang at the concerts in 2004 to cheer up the community after the deadly Sars.

"Now is the time for me to bring smiles to my unhappy colleagues through my music."

SAM HUI'S REFRAIN

Who is the genius (genius)? Who is the idiot (idiot)?

To play dumb, or a real fool? It's not easy to tell (who knows).

A genius and an idiot. You're crazy? Or I'm crazy?

A genius or an idiot. It's not easy to tell.

Genius and idiot.

source: SCMP via Roast Pork Sliced From A Rusty Cleaver] (飲水思源)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
Dope Sam Hui medley:

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Umasi Kamono