JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Art-School - Skirt

Author Topic: The Circle of Three [CONCLUSION: 28: Ascension]  (Read 83844 times)

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Circle of Three [12: Hearts of Fire, Hearts of Darkness]
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »
Finally I managed to write this to my satisfaction... Thanks for your comments everyone! I know chapter 11 was maybe less than I promised, even though you all seemed to really enjoy it, but I hope any deficiencies will be made up here. :) This is actually kind of an early climax...

To warn you, this is quite long again, but I've broken it up in a few spots to help make it easier. :) Feel free to take a break if you're getting tired of reading at one of those points lol. I just had to keep it all together, because it's all one story... Anyway, Merry Christmas and I hope you enjoy my little present to you!

Chapter 12 – Hearts of Fire, Hearts of Darkness

“A witch! That’s what I’ll call myself!” Ai Takahashi said as she looked into a mirror standing against the wall. It was an old and very elaborately carved mirror, with patterns up and down its sides and little faces of what looked like wild animals at the corners. “It’s just like Harry Potter!” she exclaimed, excitement bubbling inside her now. See? She was not such a different Ai Takahashi. She still had her inimitable cuteness!

She turned from the mirror and looked around the rest of the room that was designated as hers in the large structure that composed the private domain of Circle members. It was really a rather homey place… if you could call homey a place made mostly out of dark stone from an era before Japanese hardly even knew how to work it. It stood in sharp contrast to the mostly wooden buildings around her; especially the modern renovated ones that composed each House. It was the traditional home for the Circle, although Ai wondered if it wasn’t really more of a fortress. In which case, what was it supposed to offer protection from?

She’d come to this room for a little time to herself while she was able to enjoy it. She would have normally thought that on a weekend such as this she’d be studying somewhere, maybe with Risa. It’s funny how things don’t always turn out the way you think, isn’t it?

At the moment, she was still trying to reconcile herself to the new things it appeared she could do. If they were meant for some greater purpose, she was going to find it out for herself, despite whatever Maimi and Saki would advocate. Those two girls were young anyway; young and brash. She had to be careful not to just trust and go with whatever path they set themselves on.

In reality though, it seemed like only Maimi was the one advocating every route they’d take. Saki was a good restraint to her, but the Goto girl seemed to have little to say herself most of the time, except for a tidbit or two of knowledge when it was called for. Still, beginning with those little bits of knowledge, Ai felt she had reason to believe there was much more that lay beyond the girl’s small, quiet exterior, and really, she was more worried about her than about Maimi.

Her father had always told her, “You can trust the talker because you never have to make judgments on what lies behind his words, because he’ll always tell it straight out, but never take your eyes off the modest, for he could be hiding a knife to your back without you ever knowing it.” Her father was a veteran of the self-defense force and a fan of war discourse, so she always took his words lightly. She hadn’t thought his sayings about strategy and how to decipher your enemies would ever apply to anything she’d come across.

Sighing at the thoughts of her two comrades in the Circle, she turned back to the mirror. “I’m a witch, and I just have to find out why,” she told herself. A good place to start would be with the mystery of others who seemed to be similar to her – who might be witches too. Frowning at herself, she straightened her hair a bit. It seemed there was nothing she could do about it since she had gotten it cut before returning for the school year.

While she was fussing over her hair, a tentative knock came at the door. “What is it?” she asked in a somewhat annoyed voice. This was supposed to be her alone time.

She heard the door open, but no other sound for the moment. The reflection the mirror gave her was of the wall next to the door, so she couldn’t see at first who came in, but in the next second a girl stepped into its view. “…Ai-chan?”

Ai stared, her hand falling from her hair. Then she turned around and stared again. “What are you doing here?” she asked, beginning to get quite anxious. So much for trying to be in control of a situation.

Risa looked taken aback at her brisk tone. “I…” she began. “I’ve been looking for you. I suppose I should have guessed you would be here. I didn’t think I could get in either, but I had to try and see you…” She took a step or two closer to Ai, who backed up against the mirror. “Yajima-san let me in,” she continued. “She had this strange smile and looked at me like she was amused by something. She’s a strange girl…”

Of course. Just like always, there the two of them went trying to interfere with her life again. When would those confounded girls learn to leave her alone?!

“I’m sorry, Nii-chan,” she said quickly. “I was just… surprised to see you here. I don’t think anyone but the three of us has come into this building since I moved here.” Despite her calmer tone, her back pressed hard against the mirror as if she wished it was a portal to some far-off land. Or any land really. Just as long as it wasn’t here, where she had to face the girl whose deep friendship with her she thought she’d ruined forever.

“I wanted to talk about what happened in our room earlier today…” Risa said, apparently realizing Ai wasn’t going to budge, and walking over to sit cross-legged in a chair, seeming somewhat uncomfortable herself.

“Our room?” Ai repeated, feeling stupid at not being able to come up with something better to say.

Risa nodded slowly. “Yeah. When you… you know… kissed me…” She said the last two words much softer than the rest, and with a light blush, obviously uncomfortable with them still.

“Well Nii-chan,” Ai said, finally pulling away from the mirror and trying to don a winning smile. “I had just been through quite an ordeal, and I’m sure I wasn’t in my right mind and…” She stopped herself. What was she saying? She saw Risa’s brightness fade with her every word. Why did she have to dodge it? Couldn’t she just say what she really felt? At least then she would be honest with herself, and whatever happened would happen.

“I’m sorry,” she said, lowering her head and twiddling her thumbs. “I’m not good at trying to make up excuses.” She looked back up into Risa’s eyes. The girl’s even and trusting gaze in return pained her, because she didn’t know if she’d ever see it again, but she made herself continue.

“I’d just learned something that I couldn’t believe. I… You know me, I live in my own fantasy world half the time. Then it seemed like I really was in some kind of fantasy world. I thought I must have been dreaming, so I decided I’d take advantage of it and do something I thought I’d never actually do.

“You remember when Maimi and Saki came into our room?” Risa nodded, watching her quietly. “Maimi said we should kiss… but that just made everything awkward… and for some reason that was fresh in my mind, so that’s what I decided to do to prove it was a dream.

“However… as you know… it wasn’t.” She looked earnestly into her friend’s eyes this time, trying her best to express to her the conviction she felt about what she was saying.

“The way you reacted… It terrified me. I’d never seen you look like that before. It was like you hardly knew me. I could accept that, because I was acting completely out of character—“

Thinking about Mikitty betrayed the lie in what she just said, but that was something obviously best not brought up in this circumstance. Why did she have to make such a mistake anyway? Despite the feelings she thought she had for the woman, now that many things were quickly becoming much more real in her world, she began to realize everyone was right. She had just been another of the girl’s trophies. She could even imagine the girl keeping her panties or something as proof. The thought made her shudder, and it honed her anger again toward the girl and what she stood for.

“However,” she finally continued, in a somewhat choked voice at her most recent line of thought. Risa still watched her calmly, taking in every word she said. “It might have been out-of-character for me, but when it happened I realized that it was really what I wanted. My inhibitions were lowered, and I was just able to… well, to kiss you. To show you how I feel.”

“How do you feel?” Risa asked gently, standing up now and walking to close in front of her.

Ai kept her eyes on her friend’s. “That you’re the person who’s always been there for me, through everything that’s happened as long as I can remember. Anything I might have had before was really only an affair I couldn’t commit to. I just couldn’t realize what I truly wanted. What I truly wanted… was you.” She finished in a voice barely above a whisper.

“Ai-chan…” Risa said, lifting her hand to brush a strand of hair behind Ai’s ear. “You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to hear you say that. I wonder if it’s really true though…”

“It is,” Ai stated firmly, looking hard into Risa’s eyes.

Her friend nodded. “I can see you believe that. But I also see there’s something else going on in there.” She rested a finger on Ai’s forehead, and its touch seemed to cause warmth to spread outward from it and all the way down her body. “You’re bothered by something, and it’s not me. To really be what I want… I’d need you to let me in…”

Ai clenched her mouth tightly, trying to stop emotion from overwhelming her. “I will,” she responded resolutely. Then, before she let the girl slip away from her again, she leaned into her and wrapped her arms around her in a tight hug. “This time I’ll do it right.”

After a moment of just enjoying the other girl’s closeness Risa pulled back, and Ai did as well to look again into her face. It was smiling this time. “I’m happy to hear that,” Risa said softly. “But I think just a little bit of wrongness will be okay.” Then, with a grin, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against Ai’s – just for a few seconds, and in a very innocent way in contrast to earlier in their room, but it still felt wonderful to her.

They broke apart at a cough from the doorway. “I hate to break up this apparent start of something disgustingly beautiful,” Maimi said, and when Ai and Risa looked over at her they noticed her grin. “But our visitor is waking up. Since you’re the one who wanted to ‘talk’, I thought you might like to see her?”

After her offer, she turned and headed back out the door and down the hall. The two girls could hear her continue though as she went. “What the point of talking is though, I couldn’t begin to imagine…” If she said anything more, she was too far away for them to hear.

Ai and Risa looked back at each other, and they both blushed, falling into soft laughter, but still holding each other close. Then Risa adopted a more serious face. “What’s she talking about, Ai-chan?” she asked. “You have another visitor? I thought you said I was the only other person you’d ever seen come in here.”

“You are the only person I’ve ever seen come in here,” Ai said, as she took Risa’s hand and guided her across the room and out the door as well. “…willingly.”

After a long quiet trip that followed Ai’s solemn explanation, the two girls walked into a dusty old room in the basement that looked as if it had once been used for storage. Maimi and Saki were already there, and they looked over at the other two girls’ entrance from their quiet vigil of someone who was seated in a weathered old wooden chair, sturdy rope tied around her midsection, and her hands tied around her back as well. She was free to speak, but her eyes opened and closed slowly as if she was still waking up from a long sleep. Her lip was no longer bleeding, but was still swollen. Ai wondered again where Saki had gotten the herb for the tea they’d made her drink when they first brought her here.

“Ai-chan…” Risa said, looking around at the unusual situation, and narrowing her eyes slightly at the girl in the chair. “What’s going on?”

“What is she doing here?” Saki asked, looking at Risa plainly as if she thought the girl was someplace she did not belong.

“She’s my guest—” Ai began, but Maimi broke in.

“I thought it would be fun to have a little more company! We get so little you know, and having one guest here just made me ache for more!” She cocked her head a little now as she studied Risa. “I’m surprised to see them both here like this though. I take it you two must have sorted things out between yourselves? I know kissing usually works wonders for that sort of thing…” She grinned as she finished.

Saki adopted a slightly disgusted look that she now gave to Maimi. Ai wondered if the Goto girl knew some specific examples of Maimi’s involvement in “that sort of thing”, but Maimi just shrugged and smiled innocently.

“Fine,” Saki said in seeming acceptance. “Makes no difference to me. I still don’t think it’s a good idea though.”

“My dear Saki-chan…” Maimi said, raising a hand to pat her friend on the shoulder. “You have to learn to trust a little. Not everyone is a monster.” Saki responded with silence and a very level look.

“…Where am I?” came a voice from the center of the room, and the attention of all four girls turned to its source.

“So, our less willing guest finally awakens!” Maimi said, striding over to the chair and the girl seated in it.

Natsuyaki looked up at her groggily. “Yajima-san?” As if at a sudden realization, she jerked back slightly in the chair, but her bounds held her fast.

Maimi laid her finger underneath the Skull’s chin and lifted her up to face her. “Yes, you’re remembering right,” she said softly. “That I struck you is probably the last thing you remember, no?”

Natsuyaki nodded, blinking quickly in a seeming effort to make herself alert as quickly as possible. “No point trying to clear your head…” Saki said, coming up on the side of the chair. “The tea I gave you will make you feel sleepy for quite a while yet, so there’s no point trying to use your magic.”

Ai felt Risa’s eyes on her, and she turned to her friend, who searched her face. “What are they talking about, Ai-chan? Magic?”

After the questions, Ai stepped toward the chair herself. “What they’re talking about, Nii-chan…” she said, and she also felt the eyes of the other girls in the room when she spoke. “Is that this is a very dangerous girl.” She looked down hard into Natsuyaki’s eyes, which still looked back at her challengingly.

“Not only that,” Maimi interjected, “But she has also been very naughty. Did you know that before we caught her she was slamming your dear Ai-chan’s pretty little head into the floor? I don’t dare to think of what would have happened to her if we hadn’t arrived in time.”

“Ai-chan…” Risa said, coming up to her side and looking into her face again. “Is that true? Was she hurting you?” Ai nodded slowly, still not taking her eyes from Natsuyaki’s.

“I only fought back,” the bound girl growled up at them. “I fought back when it looked like she was trying to kill me.”

“Shut up, you sick pervert,” Risa said sharply, causing all the other girls to look at her in surprise. “Ai-chan would never do anything of the sort, but beating up defenseless girls is what you’re known for, isn’t it?”

“She’s hardly defenseless!” Natsuyaki retorted, shaken by Risa’s harshness yet apparently quite accustomed to people accusing her of such things. Well, Ai thought grimly. That’s because they’re true.

Still… Risa was about to bite back at the girl again, but Ai forestalled her. “I have to give her that,” she admitted, and Risa turned to face her. She was amazed at the anger she saw in her friend’s face. “That’s one thing you need to know, Nii-chan. The main reason she got the best of me was just because I’m not used to a fight.”

Then she grabbed Risa’s arm and pulled her back away from Natsuyaki. Maimi and Saki seemed to get the hint and backed quickly away from her as well. Natsuyaki just glared at her in hatred.

Ai closed her eyes and felt for the air around her. She felt her arms rise slightly as if pushed up by the air beneath them, and she focused it toward the girl who sat not far in front of her. She felt something swirl inside her head, and projected it to her target. Opening her eyes, she looked at the glaring Natsuyaki through a current of air circulating around her that picked up much of the dust from the floor.

The cyclone intensified, until the girl inside was almost completely distorted from view, and the chair rose up in the air and began spinning also as it was played with by the wind like it was nothing more than a toy. She didn’t hear anything from inside if the girl was screaming or crying, but out of the corner of her eye she caught Maimi staring at the whirlwind in grim satisfaction, visibly pleased at what her apparent enemy was going through. As if to accentuate the turmoil within, thunder cracked outside, and through a window near the ceiling the sky appeared to darken.

Ai wondered again what had happened to cause Maimi to hate the girl so. Being a Skull was almost validation in itself, but Ai could tell whatever was between those two girls ran much deeper. She needed to understand more of what was going on around her. She thought back to when Maimi and Saki had come on the two of them in that basement corridor. What was it the girl had said as she advanced on Natsuyaki?

She was unable to come up with the answer, as her memory of that time was still very dim, and coming back to the present, she drew some of the power out of the cyclone in front of her. It faded until they could see the chair and girl within, still spinning fast, and she carefully let it die down to where it set the chair back down nearly where it had begun, although the girl in it was slumped, extreme nausea and dizziness obviously affecting her. She even fell forward and vomited on the ground just in front of the chair, narrowly missing her own clothes.

Maimi advanced on her, still smiling, and looked down at the mess. “Well well, I don’t know if I could have done anything better than that myself. You know there will be more, but we’d also like to ask you some questions. If you answer them well, maybe I’ll keep Saki-chan away from you at least.”

Miyabi blinked and raised her head, though it was still wobbling on her neck in her motion sickness. She tried to look up at the girl above her, but seemed to have a difficult time focusing. Ai blinked too. She realized someone was holding her hand. She turned to face Risa.

“Ai-chan…” she asked very quietly. “Did you do that?” Ai nodded, and Risa swallowed and looked back at Natsuyaki. “I won’t deny she might have deserved something, but don’t you think you went a little overboard?”

“Nii-chan,” Ai said, taking Risa’s shoulders and turning the girl to face her. She saw her friend looking into her face with a new emotion – one of tightly restrained fear. “You have no idea what this girl has done. What they all are doing. Something is happening to this school, but it’s bigger than the school. I need to know that you’re going to be with me whatever happens. Won’t you?” As if to accentuate her question, a louder peal of thunder cracked outside again. The lightning must be close. Ai gave it no thought though.

Risa looked hard into her eyes, but after a moment she nodded. “Of course I’ll be with you Ai-chan. I know where you stand.” She looked over at Natsuyaki, who seemed to finally be losing her sickness, though Maimi’s grin widened along with her recovery. Apparently she was looking forward to the girl being fully back to herself again so she could “appreciate” what Maimi would do to her. “I know where they stand,” Risa finished in a low and even voice. Then, Ai hugged her tightly amid the strengthening sounds of thunder outside. At least she would have one loyal and trusted friend through it all.

“Ai-chan,” Maimi said, throwing her voice in her direction even though she kept her eyes on the captive girl before her. “I know you have reason to be angry with her too, but can you cut out a bit of that thunder? It’s getting distracting.”

Ai brought her mind back to the room and pulled away from Risa, who smiled reassuringly back at her. Then she fully noticed what was going on around her.

“Maimi…” she said slowly after a slight hesitation. “I’m not angry. Far from it. What’s happening outside isn’t because of me.”

Maimi sighed heavily. “Don’t tell me it’s an actual storm…” she said in frustration.

“No…” came a strong and surprisingly amused voice from in front of her. Natsuyaki slowly raised her head to Maimi’s face. Despite it all, the girl was grinning, and there was a very dangerous gleam in her eye that almost made even Ai’s breath catch. “They’re coming for me.”

As her grin widened, so did Maimi’s eyes, and just as it looked like Maimi was going to deck her with a blow that might even have knocked her and her chair over, she suddenly vanished, the ropes that had bound her falling loose on the chair and on the floor.

“No!” Maimi cried, though this time it wasn’t punctuated by a dull clap of thunder. This time they heard a sound like an explosion that shook the dust from the rafters of the ceiling. Ai hugged Risa tightly back against her again. The explosion could only mean one thing: the building itself was under attack.

As Maimi and Saki began running for the stairs, she jolted after them as well, dragging Risa with her. Not now! Not while Risa was in here! Her anger became fueled until it was white-hot again. If anything happened to her…

“I still don’t know why you’re bringing me along…” Risako whined in an insistent yet nearly terrified voice as she stared at the building that loomed closer and closer before them. “I don’t even know what you’re doing!”

“Me neither,” Airi told her as she marched along clutching her friend’s hand tightly so she wouldn’t escape. Chisato walked at her other side, giving the two of them skeptical looks. “But we have to do something to help Miyabi.”

“All right,” Reina said, and the small company drew up while they were still a short ways back from a large wooden door set into a very large building of stone that was bleached almost white. The Ivory Tower didn’t get its name from nothing. Reina stared at the door as if the look itself would cause it to open.

“Maybe we should just knock?” Koharu offered earnestly.

“Yeah that’d work really well,” Reina replied “’We’re sorry, but we think you’ve kidnapped one of our friends. Could you please return her to us?’ I’m sure that’d fly real well, and they’d open the doors right away to welcome us in for chai and cookies. Besides,” she continued, still staring at the door. “I’ve tried it before from time to time. It’s always locked tight.”

“You have?” Koharu gasped, obviously quite impressed.

Reina finally turned her glance toward her younger companion. “You can pick up your jaw from the ground now,” she said bitterly, and turned back again to the door. “Some Skull you are…”

“She has a point…” Chisato began timidly. “How are we going to get in?”

“Well,” Reina replied, and she stretched her arms in front of her, rolling up her sleeves and cracking her knuckles. “I thought I might try to do something about that.”

Then she became very quiet, and the other girls looked at each other, although none spoke as if afraid they would corrupt something miraculous that was about to happen. Airi waited and watched Reina. What did the girl think she could do?

As the seconds rolled by, Airi felt the Sun above them become masked by clouds that rolled in quickly. She felt like something was missing with the Sun’s disappearance, though looking up, she could still pinpoint exactly where it was in the sky.

Was Risako right? Did she really look into the Sun so often without even realizing it, and without experiencing any adverse effects? She of course knew enough to know that looking straight into it was bad for you, that it could even blind you, so the thought scared her a little. She waved her hand in front of her eyes. She didn’t think she was blind…

The clouds darkened quickly, and thunder began to roll too. They even began to feel light waves of rain falling down onto them. As she continued to look, lightning flashed up in the clouds. Some appeared to streak to the earth, but nowhere near them.

She felt Risako press up tightly against her side. “Aiiiriiin…” she whined. “What’s going on?”

Airi looked back down to Reina, who was still staring at the door, although with an intense look of concentration, and even… anger?

“It’s no use,” the Captain of the Skulls said in a low voice between gritted teeth. “I can’t control it well enough. It’s just reacting to my emotions, and I can’t focus it anywhere.” Airi felt Risako press even tighter against her, and now noticed Chisato subtly scooting her way too.

“Maybe Miyabi isn’t there?” Airi asked, trying to be helpful. “It might make the most sense, but we didn’t know they actually did it…”

Airi?

She blinked as she felt a voice reverberate within her mind, as if it was trying to reach her through a current of energy. “What?” she asked dumbly, and she felt the girls next to her look at her. She also felt very self-conscious after apparently answering a question from no one. However, the voice came to her again, and now she thought she recognized it.

I’m trying to get out, but they’re making me sick… they’re horrible…! In case I don’t… Please help me…

Airi felt her eyes look below the door to the ground just in front of it, and suddenly she knew without a doubt that Miyabi was in there.

“She’s there,” she stated, and the other girls looked at her curiously at her quick change of mind.

Ignoring them, she walked forward toward the door even while getting quite wet in the strengthening downpour. “Someone stop that rain…” she said with a voice that sounded distant even to herself, and she waved her arm vaguely out to her side. All of the falling rain completely vaporized, and none more came although the thunder still continued louder than ever, but she hardly even noticed. She was feeling something very warm rising within her, beating as if along with her heart. Hearing the plaintive voice of the girl she’d just kissed had triggered it as if flipping a switch inside of her.

She passed Reina, who looked at her with intense curiosity, and spared a glance back to see the other girls watching her fearfully. They’d seen what happened with the rain, even if Airi didn’t register it herself. Risako and Chisato were even hugging each other.

When she had crossed about halfway to the building, she fell to her knees, the sensation inside of her threatening to overwhelm her. “Need to get in…” she said, looking at the ground.

Please help me…

The voice hadn’t returned, but she still heard it repeating inside of her head. “Need to get in!” she shouted, and she raised her head sharply to the door. At the same moment a blinding flash came from it along with the excruciating sound of an explosion. Even though it was so bright and sudden that some of the other girls screamed and turned away, Airi stared directly into it. It was her light. No… She was the light.

The flash faded as abruptly as it began, and all that was left was an open doorway. The door itself was nowhere to be seen, but it looked like neither the rest of the building nor the frame had even been scorched.

“Special indeed…” Airi heard Reina say from behind her as the feeling within her quickly subsided and she came back to reality.

She gaped at the door and then stood up, turning to look behind her. Reina was gazing at her intently, but the other girls, with the exception of Koharu who was just very shaky and blinking as if having a hard time seeing, had fallen to the ground. Risako almost seemed to be weeping. Airi ran quickly over to her, followed by Reina.

“…Knew there was something about you,” she heard Risako whimper with a sniff as she came up, and she knelt down to lay a hand on the girl’s shoulder. Risako looked up, and with a completely different expression yelled at her, “You could have at least told us you were going to do that, you know!”

“I would have appreciated that too…” Koharu said, blinking. “I can hardly even see now…”

Without thinking, Airi stood up and walked over to the Nakazawa fourth-year. She laid a hand on her arm, and a second later Koharu blinked again and looked at Airi. “Well that’s much better.” Then she cringed upon seeing Airi so close. “T-thank you…” Airi was again very conscious of Reina’s eyes on her back.

“You!” came a furious shout from the direction of the building. They all turned to see Maimi stepping into the doorway, Shimizu just behind and what looked like two other girls in the shadows further back. Maimi had eyes for no one but Airi though. “How dare you come to this place after rubbing it in my face when I invited you here!

“And you!” she said, shifting her focus to Reina and gesturing at the missing door. “Your tuition just went up! This door was expensive! I’m sure your daddy will like that!”

Reina just smiled at her in that relaxed and amused way of hers. “That wasn’t my doing…” she chimed, and looked over at Airi, drawing Maimi’s eyes back to her.

“What are you talking about!” the Head of Matsuura demanded, but despite her feigned ignorance Airi noticed her hand go to her well re-bandaged arm.

“What have you done with Miyabi?” Airi asked, and despite her better judgment she advanced on the Circle members slowly. They took defensive postures warily, and coming closer, Airi thought she noticed one of the girls in the shadows pulling the other behind her as if in a protective way.

“That slut?” Maimi asked, and she even laughed in a very off-kilter way. “Many things… but not a fraction of what I wanted to. Tell me, are you responsible for that too?” She smirked as she taunted Airi, showing obvious disdain for any of her supposed abilities. Her hand never strayed from her injured arm though.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Airi said, her brow furrowing.

Maimi laughed again, and from behind her Airi heard Reina call her name warningly, but she didn’t heed it. Suddenly, Maimi turned and snapped to the girl next to her. “Saki! Teach the little whelp a lesson!”

Then Airi felt her eyes drawn to Shimizu’s, who looked back at her intently. She heard another, more desperate, warning come from Reina, but already she felt her mind buzz as it was being tampered with.

“No!” she yelled, and raised an arm instinctively toward her mental assailant. Shimizu's eyes widened and she fell to the floor.

“Ahhhh!" she wailed, and held her head as if it was on fire. Then Airi realized that was exactly what was happening, and dropped her arm again to her side. Shimizu still fell completely to the floor though, panting heavily and obviously more than disoriented.

Maimi looked to her companion with wide eyes, and then back to Airi. “What did you do to her!” she demanded, and Airi felt the air around her begin to get very cold very quickly.

“You should know very well what I did to her, Demon,” Airi said in a low voice, now completely engaged toward the girl she stared at, words coming to her seemingly from nowhere. “It is your mark, isn’t it? You’ve defiled the natural order, just for your power. To what end though?”

Then she raised an arm slowly toward Maimi, who stared at it as if at a viper. Then she screamed. She screamed as if her very soul was being torn from her. It wasn’t her soul though, Airi realized. There was something else… But there was also a connection. A strange union… And then, she felt a different bond… this time toward herself.

“Stop it!” yelled someone from behind Maimi, and she saw Takahashi come into view to try and hold the girl up. “What are you doing to her?!” She glared at Airi, and Airi’s world shattered in deafening sound and almost unbearable pain.

The next thing Airi knew she was lying on the ground, but it was far away from where she had just been.  She tried to rise, but felt the remnants of a sharp pain in her side. “Itai…” she said, wincing. Still, she managed to sit up through the ache and look around her. She felt her side as she noticed that she was in a forest somewhere. Birds were even twittering around her. It appeared to just be a bad bruise.

“…Airi?” she heard someone say from beside her, and she turned to the voice.

Almost unable to believe her eyes, she stared at Miyabi, who was kneeling on the ground too, seemingly just in the middle of brushing herself off. “Miya…?” she asked.

“In the flesh,” Miyabi responded, a grin blooming on her face.

“Oh Miya!!!” Airi wailed, and amid the pain she lunged over and hugged the girl’s waist tightly. She felt Miyabi awkwardly patting her head, but there was no way she was going to let her go. “I thought they’d done something to you!”

“Well they very nearly did,” she responded, and Airi loosened just enough to look into her face. She still wasn’t going to let her go again though. “What I didn’t expect though was to see you flying right next to me from out of nowhere.” She broke into a toothy grin again. “Just couldn’t stay away from me, could ya?”

“No,” Airi said earnestly, and Miyabi blinked at her seriousness.

“Now that I have you in this position though,” Miyabi said thoughtfully after orienting herself again, “There’s something that I need to do…” Airi felt the girl’s hand below her chin, and it tilted Airi’s face up to her own before she leaned in and kissed her hard. Much harder than when Airi had done the same to her. After a moment of it, Airi even felt herself blushing.

“Am I dreaming?” Miyabi asked her as they parted, looking carefully into her face.

“I don’t think so…” Airi replied faintly, still struck by the kiss. “Unless I’m dreaming too…” She paused and thought a moment. “Which may be very possible. I did seem to black out, after all…”

Miyabi smiled. “If it is a dream, I’m not sure that I want to wake up. It started out pretty poorly, but it’s suddenly become much more pleasant…”

“Miya…” Airi asked, raising her own hand to the girl’s chin. Miyabi seemed a little surprised at the affectionate gesture, but didn’t back away. What had they done to her? Whatever it was, she seemed quite well enough now. And in that case, especially since they’d just kissed again

“I need to ask you something…” Airi said tentatively.

“Shoot,” the girl responded.

Airi looked up into her face. “Are you my girlfriend now?”

Miyabi blinked, but before she could answer a rustling came from the side and four girls burst into the small clearing they occupied. They both clutched each other tightly at the surprise and for mutual protection, but relaxed when they saw who it was.

“Oh my god!” Reina cried, eyes agog at them. “You two are going at it again!”

Airi felt herself blush, but kept her arms purposefully around Miyabi. They were not... going at it! She was just asking a question… a very important question. She looked back into Miyabi’s face, but the other girl’s attention was fully on the new arrivals.

“I guess you’re both all right after all…” Chisato said, staring at them. Risako looked scandalized.

“How can you do this after what just happened!” Koharu shouted, showing a strange amount of aggressiveness for her usually playful and sarcastic attitude. She looked around at her companions. “Speaking of… what the hell did just happen!” Even though she looked at them all, it was primarily to Reina and Airi she spoke.

Reina gave a sigh of exasperation. “Why does everyone always look at me like I have all the answers! I don’t know any more than you do!”

“Right…” Chisato said, causing her Captain to sigh again.

“Are you guys okay?” Airi asked, suddenly remembering the situation. She loosened her grip slightly on Miyabi, but surprisingly the girl pulled her back. Apparently she wasn’t the only one that didn’t want to let go.

“Yeah,” Reina said, studying a now chastened-looking Chisato carefully. “After that lightning blast tossed you off this way, Takahashi and the other girl pulled the two you’d gotten to inside. Of course we came to find you, and I expected I’d need to show you once and for all the healing I can do, but from what I can tell you look just fine and dandy. I could have really used the validation too after being stupid enough to lose control of things to that girl…” She grumbled that last as if chastising herself.

“I am bruised a bit…” Airi complained, noticing the pain in her side again.

Reina turned to her with a hard frown. “Deal with it,” she told her. Then her expression softened. “Unless you can tell me what else happened out there. What did you do to Yajima and Shimizu?”

Airi stared off into the trees, trying to remember back to those moments. “I’m not sure…” she said. “It felt like my instinct just took over. Shimizu tried to do something to me, and I just wanted to stop her, and then… I felt something inside Maimi…”

Miyabi coughed. “Since thinking about anything inside Yajima paints a horrible picture for me, can we just give it a rest for now? She’s obviously been through a lot. We’ve both been through a lot. I think…” She grinned at Airi, causing her to blush again. “I think we could use some time to ourselves now…”

“Oh come on…” Reina said. “You two sure pick the weirdest times…” Chisato and Risako even turned away in embarrassment, though Airi noticed Risako clench her fists very tightly to her sides as well.

“To begin with…” Miyabi said, pulling Airi’s face back around to look into hers. “I think you asked me a question, didn’t you? Maybe this will be answer enough…” Then Airi felt the girl’s arms wrap very tightly around her as she kissed her once again, this time ignoring everyone else around. Airi was very self-conscious about the display they were putting on at first, but eventually she got lost in the feeling and just enjoyed the girl’s intimacy with her.

However, it was once again interrupted by people walking into the clearing. This time though, they all gazed at the new arrivals in complete surprise.

“Well…” a deep and mature, yet very feminine, voice said. Airi recognized it at once. It recalled a time to her that she felt she wouldn’t forget. “I’m glad to see the Skulls name carried on in such an exciting way.”

Miki Fujimoto smiled at Airi and Miyabi when she talked, and so her meaning was obvious, though the smile faded quickly. “We hoped to get here in time,” she continued. “Although from what we’ve just seen out there, I’m afraid we might have been just a tad too late…”

She looked behind her at a silhouetted form that was much shorter than her. “You’re lucky girls,” Fujimoto continued. “I didn’t realize what I’d missed in my time here. There’s someone who wants to talk to you.” Then, the shadowy form walked slowly up to them.

“Maimi,” Ai said, wiping a damp cloth along her forehead. “Are you all right?”

“How dare you kiss her… erm… urg…” Maimi mumbled, and then she opened her eyes. “Where am I?” she asked weakly.

“We’re still at home,” Ai told her. “You’ve been passed out for a while now. We weren’t sure you’d be all right.” She looked up nervously to Risa, who smiled reassuringly back.

“What happened?” Maimi asked, trying to get up from the futon she lay on. The two Nakazawa girls pushed her back down though.

“I don’t know,” Ai said. “But at least I was able to stop her from making it worse. The way you screamed… it was horrible. That’s the second time now. I think you should stay away from her.”

Maimi stared up at the ceiling as if considering Ai’s words. Ai didn’t believe for a second that she’d listen to her, but she had to try. Remembering the girl’s scream still made her shudder.

While she was thinking, Saki wandered in, still seeming a bit shaken herself. She’d recovered rather quickly from the young girl’s attack, but it was plainly still affecting her. Ai thought she had a fever by how red her face was. She also noticed the girl kept herself tightly under control. She wondered what the reason for that was. Saki always seemed to stay cool as much as possible, but as much effort as she was putting into it now made it so much more obvious she was keeping a tight rein on something. Ai wondered what would happen if she lost control. She glanced back worriedly at Risa again.

“Good, you’re awake,” Saki stated, and came up to Maimi. “Can you move?”

“Yes, I think so,” Maimi said quietly, much in contrast to her usual personality, and tried sitting up again. This time Ai and Risa let her, but still watched her carefully. She seemed fine though.

“Good,” Saki said again. “I’m sorry to push you, but he’s best not kept waiting.”

“Who?” Ai asked, and Saki turned to her.

“Aside from Niigaki and those girls with the Skulls, apparently some other students witnessed what just went on. With us out of commission here, that means it’ll be all over the school by nightfall,” she said, evading the question at first. She gave Ai a very even look as she went on, and Ai swallowed at her seriousness, which seemed a bit more intense than usual. “The Headmaster has summoned us.”
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:19:06 AM by rokun »

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2007, 02:29:05 AM »
yay, TakaGaki again :nya:.  Geez thanks Maimi for ruining the moment! She's been a bit of a buzz kill lately.

I would have advised Ai on not bringing Risa into the...well I like to say "chamber room" hehe, but looked like Risa took what happened in there pretty well :yep: I almost thought she was going to become a honorary member of the circle there.

“The Headmaster has summoned us.”

Tsunku,Tsunku,Tsunku!?!
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2007, 03:35:42 AM »
I'm pretty pleased with the fight scene. It's difficult to describe something without actually telling everybody what exactly happened, but you do a damn good job of it. And TakaGaki love.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2007, 07:26:53 AM »
She turned from the mirror and looked around the rest of the room that was designated as hers in the large structure that composed the private domain of Circle members.

It stood in sharp contrast to the mostly wooden buildings around her; especially the modern renovated ones that composed each House. It was the traditional home for the Circle, although Ai wondered if it wasn’t really more of a fortress. In which case, what was it supposed to offer protection from?
Well, there's (the masses of innocent) people that could one day rise up and stand against them when they attempted to exert their authority too far.

At the moment, she was still trying to reconcile herself to the new things it appeared she could do. If they were meant for some greater purpose, she was going to find it out for herself, despite whatever Maimi and Saki would advocate. Those two girls were young anyway; young and brash. She had to be careful not to just trust and go with whatever path they set themselves on.
Well, it's somewhat relieving to see that Aichan still at least has some sense to NOT allow herself to get swept up in the same doctrine/propaganda that Maimi and Captain have been following.

It still doesn't change what she did or said in the passageway though.

In reality though, it seemed like only Maimi was the one advocating every route they’d take. Saki was a good restraint to her, but the Goto girl seemed to have little to say herself most of the time, except for a tidbit or two of knowledge when it was called for. Still, beginning with those little bits of knowledge, Ai felt she had reason to believe there was much more that lay beyond the girl’s small, quiet exterior, and really, she was more worried about her than about Maimi.
Good thing she realizes this.  One always should keep an eye on the quiet one, because more often than people realize, THAT person has more power and influence from "behind the scenes", so to speak.  It's not always the one with the biggest mouth that's the puppet-master.

She heard the door open, but no other sound for the moment. The reflection the mirror gave her was of the wall next to the door, so she couldn’t see at first who came in, but in the next second a girl stepped into its view. “…Ai-chan?”

Ai stared, her hand falling from her hair. Then she turned around and stared again. “What are you doing here?” she asked, beginning to get quite anxious. So much for trying to be in control of a situation.

Risa looked taken aback at her brisk tone. “I…” she began.
Risa...

Wait a sec, if the building Aichan is currently in is meant for Circle members, how did Risa get in? :?

“I’ve been looking for you. I suppose I should have guessed you would be here. I didn’t think I could get in either, but I had to try and see you…” She took a step or two closer to Ai, who backed up against the mirror. “Yajima-san let me in,” she continued. “She had this strange smile and looked at me like she was amused by something. She’s a strange girl…”
She did? That is strange indeed. Maimi has no real reason to allow Risa inside, especially if she knew she had come to see Aichan...unless of course, deep down inside Maimi's still a bit of a romantic at heart.

“I wanted to talk about what happened in our room earlier today…” Risa said,

When you… you know… kissed me…” She said the last two words much softer than the rest, and with a light blush, obviously uncomfortable with them still.
It's not like they can avoid talking about this, not if they want to keep from making things supremely awkward between each other for the rest of their days at the school (and beyond).

“It might have been out-of-character for me, but when it happened I realized that it was really what I wanted. My inhibitions were lowered, and I was just able to… well, to kiss you. To show you how I feel.”

“How do you feel?” Risa asked gently, standing up now and walking to close in front of her.
Tell her Aichan...be honest with yourself, so you can be honest with her!  :mon cute:

Ai kept her eyes on her friend’s. “That you’re the person who’s always been there for me, through everything that’s happened as long as I can remember. Anything I might have had before was really only an affair I couldn’t commit to. I just couldn’t realize what I truly wanted. What I truly wanted… was you.”
Aichan = :luvluv2:

“Ai-chan…” Risa said, lifting her hand to brush a strand of hair behind Ai’s ear. “You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to hear you say that. I wonder if it’s really true though…”

“It is,” Ai stated firmly, looking hard into Risa’s eyes.
Risa =  :k-inlove:

Her friend nodded. “I can see you believe that. But I also see there’s something else going on in there.” She rested a finger on Ai’s forehead, and its touch seemed to cause warmth to spread outward from it and all the way down her body. “You’re bothered by something, and it’s not me. To really be what I want… I’d need you to let me in…”
Risa knows that something's been confusing and troubling Aichan, and like any best friend she wants to do what she can to help her make sense out of it all. 

They broke apart at a cough from the doorway. “I hate to break up this apparent start of something disgustingly beautiful,” Maimi said, and when Ai and Risa looked over at her they noticed her grin. “But our visitor is waking up. Since you’re the one who wanted to ‘talk’, I thought you might like to see her?”
Ok, first possible test here. Is Risa going to ask Aichan what Maimi meant by what she said, and if she does, will Aichan tell her the truth?

Risa adopted a more serious face. “What’s she talking about, Ai-chan?” she asked. “You have another visitor? I thought you said I was the only other person you’d ever seen come in here.”

“You are the only person I’ve ever seen come in here,” Ai said, as she took Risa’s hand and guided her across the room and out the door as well. “…willingly.”
Whoa...she told her. :shocked:

“What is she doing here?” Saki asked, looking at Risa plainly as if she thought the girl was someplace she did not belong.

“My dear Saki-chan…” Maimi said, raising a hand to pat her friend on the shoulder. “You have to learn to trust a little. Not everyone is a monster.” Saki responded with silence and a very level look.
Maimi's response is rather cryptic, especially considering the whole "Captain might be the werewolf that's been showing up and randomly attacking" thing. 

“So, our less willing guest finally awakens!” Maimi said, striding over to the chair and the girl seated in it.

Natsuyaki looked up at her groggily. “Yajima-san?” As if at a sudden realization, she jerked back slightly in the chair, but her bounds held her fast.

“No point trying to clear your head…” Saki said, coming up on the side of the chair. “The tea I gave you will make you feel sleepy for quite a while yet, so there’s no point trying to use your magic.”
Holy shit, they drugged her? :O

I guess it is a prudent move on their part, since she would probably be able to escape pretty easily if she could use her powers.

Ai wondered again what had happened to cause Maimi to hate the girl so. Being a Skull was almost validation in itself, but Ai could tell whatever was between those two girls ran much deeper.
Well, there's the whole "Airi" thing, as in she chose Miyabi and rejected Maimi. ;D

“Ai-chan…” she asked very quietly. “Did you do that?” Ai nodded, and Risa swallowed and looked back at Natsuyaki. “I won’t deny she might have deserved something, but don’t you think you went a little overboard?”

“Nii-chan,” Ai said, taking Risa’s shoulders and turning the girl to face her. She saw her friend looking into her face with a new emotion – one of tightly restrained fear. “You have no idea what this girl has done. What they all are doing. Something is happening to this school, but it’s bigger than the school. I need to know that you’re going to be with me whatever happens. Won’t you?” As if to accentuate her question, a louder peal of thunder cracked outside again. The lightning must be close. Ai gave it no thought though.

Risa looked hard into her eyes, but after a moment she nodded. “Of course I’ll be with you Ai-chan. I know where you stand.”
The problem is here, is that neither Aichan nor Risa know the whole story, or at least, they probably don't know as much as Maimi and Captain know.  Another problem is all the preconceptions/prejudgements that both sides have made about the other, which leads to attitudes such as the ones they're spouting off right now.

The only REAL honest thing here, is TakaGaki. :nya:

“Ai-chan,” Maimi said, throwing her voice in her direction even though she kept her eyes on the captive girl before her. “I know you have reason to be angry with her too, but can you cut out a bit of that thunder? It’s getting distracting.”

Ai brought her mind back to the room and pulled away from Risa, who smiled reassuringly back at her. Then she fully noticed what was going on around her.

“Maimi…” she said slowly after a slight hesitation. “I’m not angry. Far from it. What’s happening outside isn’t because of me.”

Natsuyaki slowly raised her head to Maimi’s face. Despite it all, the girl was grinning, and there was a very dangerous gleam in her eye that almost made even Ai’s breath catch. “They’re coming for me.”
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boy. :scared:

As her grin widened, so did Maimi’s eyes, and just as it looked like Maimi was going to deck her with a blow that might even have knocked her and her chair over, she suddenly vanished, the ropes that had bound her falling loose on the chair and on the floor.
Miyabi regain control of her powers, or was it Airi?

“No!” Maimi cried, though this time it wasn’t punctuated by a dull clap of thunder. This time they heard a sound like an explosion that shook the dust from the rafters of the ceiling. Ai hugged Risa tightly back against her again. The explosion could only mean one thing: the building itself was under attack.

As Maimi and Saki began running for the stairs, she jolted after them as well, dragging Risa with her. Not now! Not while Risa was in here! Her anger became fueled until it was white-hot again. If anything happened to her…
we might be witness to one of the most epic, BRUTAL battles yet. :mon scare:

Reina stared at the door as if the look itself would cause it to open.

“Maybe we should just knock?” Koharu offered earnestly.

“Yeah that’d work really well,” Reina replied “’We’re sorry, but we think you’ve kidnapped one of our friends. Could you please return her to us?’ I’m sure that’d fly real well, and they’d open the doors right away to welcome us in for chai and cookies.
Sarcastic Reina = Win. :lol:

I’m trying to get out, but they’re making me sick… they’re horrible…! In case I don’t… Please help me…

Airi felt her eyes look below the door to the ground just in front of it, and suddenly she knew without a doubt that Miyabi was in there.

“She’s there,” she stated, and the other girls looked at her curiously at her quick change of mind.
Oh crap...it's gonna be Airi VS Aichan??? :o

Risako looked up, and with a completely different expression yelled at her, “You could have at least told us you were going to do that, you know!”

“I would have appreciated that too…” Koharu said, blinking. “I can hardly even see now…”
Ooops. :D

“What have you done with Miyabi?” Airi asked, and despite her better judgment she advanced on the Circle members slowly. They took defensive postures warily, and coming closer, Airi thought she noticed one of the girls in the shadows pulling the other behind her as if in a protective way.
Oh geez...I hope Airi sees Risa and doesn't lump her in with the other Circle members. :cry:

“Saki! Teach the little whelp a lesson!”

Then Airi felt her eyes be drawn to Shimizu’s, who looked back at her intently. She heard another, more desperate, warning come from Reina, but already she felt her mind buzz as it was being tampered with.

“No!” she yelled, and raised an arm instinctively toward her mental assailant. Saki’s eyes widened and she fell to the floor.

“Ahhhh!" she wailed, and held her head as if it was on fire. Then Airi realized that was exactly what was happening, and dropped her arm again to her side. Saki still fell completely to the floor though, panting heavily and obviously more than disoriented.
Hooooooooooooooly...:stunned:

If THIS is how powerful Airi is now, imagine what she could/would/will be like when she's mastered her abilities as well as Maimi and Captain have done with theirs.

Then she raised an arm slowly toward Maimi, who stared at it as if at a viper. Then she screamed. She screamed as if her very soul was being torn from her. It wasn’t her soul though, Airi realized. There was something else… But there was also a connection. A strange union… And then, she felt a different bond… this time toward herself.

“Stop it!” yelled someone from behind Maimi, and she saw Takahashi come into view to try and hold the girl up. “What are you doing to her?!” She glared at Airi, and Airi’s world shattered in deafening sound and almost unbearable pain.
Wait a sec, so who was screaming? Was Airi doing something to Maimi or the other way around?  And what's this about a "bond"??? :dunno:

And what the hell just happened?

The next thing Airi knew she was lying on the ground,

“…Airi?” she heard someone say from beside her, and she turned to the voice.

Almost unable to believe her eyes, she stared at Miyabi, who was kneeling on the ground too, seemingly just in the middle of brushing herself off. “Miya…?” she asked.

“In the flesh,” Miyabi responded, a grin blooming on her face.

“Oh Miya!!!” Airi wailed, and amid the pain she lunged over and hugged the girl’s waist tightly.

“Just couldn’t stay away from me, could ya?”

“No,” Airi said earnestly, and Miyabi blinked at her seriousness.
:shy2:

“I need to ask you something…” Airi said tentatively.

“Shoot,” the girl responded.

Airi looked up into her face. “Are you my girlfriend now?”
MIYABI, SAY YES DAMMIT!!!   :w00t:

Miyabi blinked, but before she could answer a rustling came from the side and four girls burst into the small clearing they occupied. They both clutched each other tightly at the surprise and for mutual protection, but relaxed when they saw who it was.

“Oh my god!” Reina cried, eyes agog at them. “You two are going at it again!
Jealous, Reina? XD

What did you do to Yajima and Shimizu?”

Airi stared off into the trees, trying to remember back to those moments. “I’m not sure…” she said. “It felt like my instinct just took over. Shimizu tried to do something to me, and I just wanted to stop her
Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say that her powers took over. It has often been said that abilities such as these will often, at first, manifest themselves when needed during times when the practitioner is still a novice.

and then… I felt something inside Maimi…”

Miyabi coughed. “Since thinking about anything inside Yajima paints a horrible picture for me, can we just give it a rest for now?
:wahaha:

Potential pervvy jokes aside, could it be that the thing Airi felt is something that has to do with the members of the original Circle?

Chisato and Risako even turned away in embarrassment, though Airi noticed Risako clench her fists very tightly to her sides as well.
Uh-oh...Socko's got the green-eyed gremlins?

“To begin with…” Miyabi said, pulling Airi’s face back around to look into hers. “I think you asked me a question, didn’t you? Maybe this will be answer enough…” Then Airi felt the girl’s arms wrap very tightly around her as she kissed her once again, this time ignoring everyone else around. Airi was very self-conscious about the display they were putting on at first, but eventually she got lost in the feeling and just enjoyed the girl’s intimacy with her.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :rockon:

“Well…” a deep and mature, yet very feminine, voice said. Airi recognized it at once. It recalled a time to her that she felt she wouldn’t forget. “I’m glad to see the Skulls name carried on in such an exciting way.”

Miki Fujimoto smiled at Airi and Miyabi when she talked, and so her meaning was obvious, though the smile faded quickly. “We hoped to get here in time,” she continued. “Although from what we’ve just seen out there, I’m afraid we might have been just a tad too late…”
MIKI-SAMA!!!  :k-thrilled:  Where the hell has she been?

Wait a sec..."we"???

“You’re lucky girls,” Fujimoto continued. “I didn’t realize what I’d missed in my time here.
Is it just me, or is there a hint of regret what Miki said just now?

There’s someone who wants to talk to you.” Then, the shadowy form walked slowly up to them.
Hmmmm...another former Skull member?

“Maimi,” Ai said, wiping a damp cloth along her forehead. “Are you all right?”

“How dare you kiss her… erm… urg…” Maimi mumbled, and then she opened her eyes.
Wow, either Maimi's really holding a major grudge at Miyabi...or she REALLY, GENUINELY has it bad for Airi.

Saki wandered in, still seeming a bit shaken herself. She’d recovered rather quickly from the young girl’s attack, but it was plainly still affecting her. Ai thought she had a fever by how red her face was.
She's obviously never met anyone who had the ability to whup her the way that Airi did.

Saki always seemed to stay cool as much as possible, but as much effort as she was putting into it now made it so much more obvious she was keeping a tight rein on something. Ai wondered what would happen if she lost control.
If our previous suspicions are true, then Captain probably has to keep mentally focused to control her werewolf form. The raw, raging fury of a beast like that would be exceedingly difficult to control, particularly if she's having to consciously having to control and suppress it from emerging.

“I’m sorry to push you, but he’s best not kept waiting.”

“Who?” Ai asked, and Saki turned to her.

“Aside from Niigaki and those girls with the Skulls, apparently some other students witnessed what just went on. With us out of commission here, that means it’ll be all over the school by nightfall,” she said, evading the question at first. She gave Ai a very even look as she went on, and Ai swallowed at her seriousness, which seemed a bit more intense than usual. “The Headmaster has summoned us.”
Oh dear... :mon freeze:

This has got to be Tsunku, right? It's going to be interesting to see exactly how much he knows about what's going on (and more importantly, how much he knows about the special powers that the girls have).

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline AmberSan

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Always タカガキ L-O-V-E
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
a great chapter  :w00t:
it realy was some kind of a climax, or rather the beginning of one.. it seems that right now the two sides are more defined after this.. especially after Ai asked Risa to join her and after the relationship between Airi and Miyabi was stated...
i realy like how you portray Ai's character and i look forward to seeing what will happen to her when you continue the story..

Offline mae-chan

• NP Baracuda is so SEXAYE (:
  • ecchi
  • TakaGaki Forever
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2007, 11:53:01 AM »
Fantastic new chapter, with fluff and action :D
Hooray for TakaGaki!  :wub:

Offline g4rfield

• Yocchan is my chan~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I belong to a religion called Yossy-ism
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2007, 05:15:37 PM »
This is a great chapter. Make even better with the pairings finally making it official. TakaGaki and MiyaAiri  :heart: :heart: I still believe that eventually Ai-chan would see that the Skulls is not all that bad and will eventually join forces with them since at this moment, Saki and Maimi seem to be the ones loosing control over their powers. Maimi, I think maybe because Airi choose Miya and she might not realize it yet but what she thought was a challenge has in turn made her fall in love and so now she's bitter from losing and in denial about it. Saki....I don't know what she's trying to keep reign at. The werewolf inside of her?

I was awwwwing when Ai-chan finally admit that she wants Risa, but....does she need her? And Miya, dear Miya who finally get herself a very powerful girlfriend. I like these scenes and of course I have a few questions, such as, what makes Airi to be able to beat even the Circle members? She' so powerful and yet she doesn't realize it yet. Is she the Hearts of Fire and Maimi the Hearts of Darkness? What kind of connection toward Maimi that Airi feels. I hope the arrival of Fujimoto will help make this clearer next chapter and of course the much shorter shadow...mmmm Yaguchi?

So, the headmaster has summoned the Circle members. Does he now about what's going on, if so, could it be that he wanted the girls to erase the witnesses's memory? ooohh so many questions.

Loser87

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
Oh, man...There's major props going to this chapter o(=w=)o
That was intense, I lol at Ai-chan's reasoning of being a witch like Harry Potter

But the fight scene was like..killer..it was just woah...
So far, Risa and Ai-chan is having major lovin' and there's is the more 'simpler' for now relationship.

Miya's and Airi's is...getting complicated with many complications already no?
I mean Maimi's still holding a grudge against Miya for most likely taking Airi away from her..And from that brief mentioning of Risako clenching a fist..She's jealous of Airi (I'm guessing) since in the previous chapter she was gushing at how miya was one of the most dangerous and 'sexy' girls in the school lol..

Saki, I reaaaalllllyyy hope you'll dedicate one chapter that'll explain her character's past, present, and possible future in full detail so we can get a hold of what she's really about instead of taking blind guesses lol..I mean her character in my opinion is the most intriguing with all that mysterious and dark silence she's got going on..

Anyway another awesome read Rokun, Update some more~!!!!
And Update Berry Beautiful too you bum! lol, but seriously update I'm itchin' for another good read from one of your stories o(=w=)b

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Circle of Three [13: Heirs Apparent]
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2007, 06:19:36 AM »
It's too late to respond to comments... >_< gomen. I swear I'll say more after this. Maybe I'll do two chapters' worth at once. :) This is long, so once again, I advise to take breaks if you need to at the breaks between parts. ^_^

Chapter 13 – Heirs Apparent

“All right,” Reina said, settling into what was apparently her favorite chair in the small House Nakazawa lounge. “Are you going to tell us exactly who you are now?”

Airi wasn’t exactly thrilled to come back to this place, but Fujimoto and this new woman wanted somewhere they could relax and talk without much worry of interruption. Still, Airi thought that if there had been any other place within walking distance, they would have gone there instead.

All eight girls upon approaching Nakazawa noticed other students whispering and pointing at them more than they ever had been before. Skulls walking around at any time gained the attention of most who were near – the smart ones at least – but now everyone seemed to look at them with a different type of fear as they gossiped among each other and stayed cautiously away.

The younger girls of their little party, including Airi, were a little self-conscious at the not-so-welcome attention. Airi for one even began to get upset. She worried about her reputation from the minute she was told she had joined the Skulls, and then again when she thought she was dating Miyabi, but after the events of today it didn’t seem likely many of the other students would ever talk to her again. Even some of the girls she now walked with seemed to shy away from her. Koharu was the most visible, along with Risako for some reason – that made her saddest – but she caught Chisato looking askance at her from time to time as well. Not to mention Reina’s considering looks, although she looked more curious than afraid.

Miyabi was the only one who didn’t seem to treat her any differently. Well, that wasn’t technically true. As they walked they held hands, and this after they’d just made out in front of the entire group. That was most definitely something new, but still, instead of seeming uncomfortable being around her like the others, Miyabi had apparently done the opposite – become much more comfortable. That was a change Airi could live with.

Now after having settled in at the lounge, Miyabi held an arm around her as they reclined on a loveseat, both their legs on top of it and curled underneath them. Airi smiled dreamily up at the girl, who kept her face forward as she studied the two older women who had led them back here. It was a change she most definitely could live with.

“Hello everyone!” the short lady said in a perky voice. “I’m Mari Yaguchi! You can call me Mari, or Marippe if you like.” She was dressed in nice-looking black pants with a red shirt and white vest atop it that looked like it could be wool.

“Mari Yaguchi?” Airi asked, the name ringing a bell to her. She felt Miyabi’s eyes turn to her, and noticed she drew the gazes of the other girls as well.

Fujimoto blinked. “Do you know her, umm… what was your name again?”

“My name is Airi,” she said, giving Fujimoto a dirty look. She felt Miyabi’s arm tighten around her momentarily.

“You can call her whatever though,” her girlfriend said with a grin. “Airi, Aiko, Aika…”

“Not Aika,” Airi stated, poking the older girl in the side. “That’s the name of one of my friends, so I’m not going to respond to it!”

Miyabi frowned at her. “You have friends?” This time Airi pinched her. Hard.

“Let us just postpone our incredibly important meeting so you two can have your little lovers’ quarrel…” Fujimoto said in a very amused voice, smirking at them. Airi blushed in embarrassment, but Miyabi only seemed to tighten her protective grip on her.

Looking back at the two women, Airi noticed that Mari was smiling at her, and apparently had been quietly watching her the entire time. “I’m glad to see such a bond between you two…” she said warmly. Then she looked over at Reina, who reclined in her chair, seemingly bored. “I wish I could say the same for your leader.”

“Hey,” Reina responded, still not looking at the woman. “Don’t look at me if those two are putting the Skulls’ name to shame. I’m only their Captain; I’m not responsible for whose skirts they chase.” She lowered her eyes to look hard at Miyabi and Airi, who blushed again. The girl just had no sense of propriety! “…or whose they don’t,” she finished.

“Airi,” Mari said in that warm voice, drawing her attention back to her. “You said my name like it meant something to you. Does it?” The girl’s attitude made Airi feel at ease and quite willing to answer her questions.

“Yes…” she responded, remembering precisely where she knew it from. She knew it from a book. And not just any book. That name was in the book whose text changed to red and that the Circle took away from her.

“A girl named Mari Yaguchi was one of the members of the first Trinity.” Mari seemed to understand her, but as she stared at the other girls Airi realized their faces reflected quite a lack of comprehension, so she elaborated. “…the first Circle.”

She heard Reina sigh. “You just have to continue being a disgrace…” she told the ceiling, since she now lay across the chair, her head on one of its arms and legs dangling over the other. “I’m sorry Mikitty, I think we have a nerd in the Skulls now.”

Fujimoto glanced over at her with raised eyebrows before saying quietly, “Somehow I think we’ll be able to survive.” Then she brought her attention back to Mari, with a quick glance to Airi as her eyes swept past her.

“Good girl,” Mari praised Airi, clapping her hands together and smiling. Airi wondered where she got her energy from. It was quite different from the lackadaisical attitude she knew from Reina and Fujimoto, the other leaders of the Skulls she had met. “You’re right. You could say she’s an… ancestor of mine.”

“Someone from your family was in the Circle?” Miyabi asked cautiously, making sure once again she held Airi protectively enough.

Honestly, Airi thought. If it came to that, she felt she could protect herself quite well enough without assistance from the great Miyabi Natsuyaki. The girl might be her significant other now, but that didn’t mean she was also her bodyguard. So what if she was two years older than her…

Airi felt a strange tingling at that thought. Truthfully, she was a little nervous about that fact. Together with what she knew about her years as a Skull, as well as how good a kisser she seemed to be, it made Airi wonder just how much experience with a variety of things her new girlfriend might already have had.

“Yes,” Mari said simply in response to Miyabi’s question. Noticing the tenseness that now spread around the room among a company that likely thought less of anyone who was connected with the Circle than any other students, she began walking around to all of them, smiling as she went. Chisato and Risako blushed, seeming unsure if they wanted this woman’s attention on themselves, Risako still wondering if she should even be here at all to begin with.

When she stood smiling in front of Miyabi and Airi, she spoke up again. “My ancestor was in the first Circle…” she began, the warmth slowly fading from her voice as she tried to inflect it so that everyone knew what she had to say was important. “However, she was frightened of the power she received; of what seemed to be expected of her and her newfound friends, the other members of that Trinity. She held her post for as long as she was at Seishin, but after leaving…” She smiled again, a gleam in her eye.

“She knew more than probably anyone else has about her power and what lay behind it, except perhaps the other girls of her Circle. When she left Seishin, she kept influence in the school and began to recruit girls for another purpose, one much different than that of the Trinity. To these girls she gave the name of Skulls.”

“Can one of you explain to me what just happened out by the building that was given to you?”

The Headmaster asked his softly spoken question as the three Circle members stood quietly before him. Maimi and Saki both had their heads bowed, while Ai looked on. She wasn’t used to audiences with the Headmaster, so she didn’t really know the protocol. She wondered why the other two showed such deference though, and felt an urge not to do so herself for some reason.

“There are other students with abilities similar to ours, Headmaster Tsunku,” Saki said finally. “Twice now we’ve confronted them, with neither side gaining an advantage. And…” She looked up into his face. “We also found a book.”

“Oh?” he asked, leaning over his desk and steepling his fingers in front of his face. Even though Ai hadn’t seen him often, he was definitely an intimidating figure. Although, part of that had to do with his “office”.

Set in an old building that might have been the oldest there aside from the Circle’s, the Headmaster’s quarters covered most of its second floor. The first floor mainly held administrative offices in rooms that looked to be old classrooms. Strangely, those were vacant when the three Circle members passed through them on their way here.

The heavy stone star set into the building above the door was the subject of much discussion among the students, and Ai almost stared in wonder at seeing the other side of it as the light of the fading day fell onto the Headmaster through the thick glass within it. The sun shone as a sliver near its upper edge. In a few minutes it would be shining straight through into the office.

The three girls exchanged looks at the Headmaster’s raised eyebrow, and Maimi pulled the old book out from within her vest, offering it to him. He took it, but barely gave it a glance before setting it down on his desk. Maimi opened her mouth as if taken aback by his disregard of something that seemed so important to them, but he forestalled her.

“So you’ve discovered your heritage and the prophecy,” he stated. All three girls stared at him, and Ai almost spoke up now too, but in quickly fueled anger and frustration. Did he know about that all this time?

He rose from his desk and, folding his hands behind his back, walked over to the star window. “I couldn’t have imagined this would happen in my lifetime…” he said, as if pondering to himself. “So the Third Age is related to the Western calendar which we’ve just recently adopted… I wouldn’t have guessed, yet they obviously foresaw well. That should teach me once again not to second-guess Maki Goto’s declarations. When the sky went red this morning I wondered, but I thought it couldn’t be. What I’ve heard since though has changed my opinion on matters.”

He turned back to the three Circle members, who all still stared at him in wonder. “You’re very lucky girls. There have been many of far greater renown than you who could not fulfill the prophecy. Still, I knew that your confidence, as well as your youth, signified something special.”

He smiled as Ai felt suddenly inadequate after his mention of youth. He must have just meant the other two girls – they came to their posts as two of the youngest Circle members ever, while Ai was one of the eldest. He didn’t seem to exclude her though.

“Still…” he continued, drawing her eyes as he looked her direction. “I think I might have been mistaken in some ways about what I saw as unique.” For some reason, his words made her feel better.

“Headmaster Tsunku…” she said, speaking up for the first time. She had to swallow in order to keep her throat from being too dry. His piercing gaze seemed to look deeply in her as he gave a small smile. He apparently had expected her to address him. Now that she’d broken the ice, she felt a strong need to put to voice what had been troubling her. “Is it true? Are we supposed to rule… the world?”

The smile didn’t fade, but he stepped into the center of the star. The sun was now glowing around the inner point one of its spokes. It appeared it would be quite brilliant when it finally shone through its center. “That was the desire of the Three,” he responded mysteriously. “People need to be shown the way, and that way is best shown by those who are very wise. However, you three are not yet wise. There is still one final test you must pass.”

Then, the Headmaster threw his arms up and out to his sides as the sun came fully into the center of the star, outlining him as if he glowed of his own accord. At the moment though, the Headmaster’s new glowing personality was the least of the concerns of Ai, since when the sudden rays of the sun hit her from around the Headmaster, they reacted violently with the power that lay dormant within her body, and she fell to the floor screaming as if all of her cells and molecules were being rearranged.

At the outer edges of her consciousness she heard Saki and Maimi experiencing apparently similar reactions, at least by the sounds of their own screams, but she was barely in control of her own body as it continued what seemed like its internal war.

It was pain like she could never have imagined. It was also bliss, which after a moment she recognized as the joy of an inexplicable joining with another being. The only thing she could relate it to was the wonderful sense of sharing she felt in her sexual experiences with Mikitty, yet this was a far greater and purer form of ecstasy.

It was pure, yet at the same time more corrupt than the lowest acts she’d been a part to. It wasn’t communion with an outside individual as with lovemaking, but it was harmony with a being that was already inside her that she hadn’t recognized yet knew had existed there for some time. She suddenly realized it had existed within her since she was inducted into the Circle of Three.

After the torment and rapture that seemed as if it would be endless finally ceased, she felt the union complete, and she rose back to her feet, more fully in control of herself than ever before; more fully in control of the power that lay within her. It glowed inside her, like a beacon waiting to be directed to its use. She marveled at the strength she felt. She realized that until now she’d been nothing but a vessel, the means of transport of something much greater than herself. Now that greatness was her. Now she was a goddess.

After she rose though, she convulsed, and felt her body arch forward, the power within her released at the Headmaster and at the star he stood before. She saw two similar beams come from beside her, but then closed her eyes at the brilliance of the light that seemed as if it was battling that from the sun which still shone on them.

The Headmaster spun and flung his arms forward toward the window and the slowly setting sun. He directed the beams of power that assaulted him out through the star to where they disappeared into the distance. Ai reveled in the release of her power until it was suddenly cut off, and she fell once again to her knees. The sun no longer shone on them, and out the window there was only what appeared to be a grey mist, giving the late afternoon the air of twilight. She felt herself return to normal, although she still felt the power within her, lying just within reach in case it needed called upon once more.

Breathing heavily, she looked around her. Maimi stared back at her wide-eyed, on the floor and breathing heavily as well. Saki seemed to suffer the same as them, but she just stared at the floor as if lost in her own world. Then Ai looked up toward the Headmaster.

He turned from the window and looked at them. His eyes shined with exertion, but also with pride and fulfillment. “How honored I am to be able to witness this day…” he said. “The Three have returned, and I have been granted the privilege of being the one to serve.” He walked around his desk and fell to his knees, bowing to them. “My life,” he began, “is yours to command, Great Ones.”

Ai exchanged another wide-eyed look with Maimi, and then she felt waves in her mind as if memories were crashing into it, memories of another very long life. After the onslaught of the memories, and when the ache in her head subsided, she rose and looked down at the Headmaster.

“There’s no need for that,” she said. “You’ve been a great help, haven’t you?” She looked out the star window into the twilit sky. “What did you do? What happened out there?”

“It is a shield, Great One,” he responded, raising his head slightly to look up at her. “The school is now yours in order to develop your army.”

“Army?” Maimi asked, stepping toward him with a frown. “What are you talking about?”

“In order to establish your rule,” he explained, looking between them as if they weren’t understanding something. “While the shield is intact, nothing can enter or leave school grounds until you see fit. It is your base of operations.”

“Are you saying…” Ai said in disbelief, “that we’re supposed to make an army of the students?”

“I…” he began, as if suddenly realizing what a ridiculous notion that was. “I believe so. That’s why you began this school, to train your army for the day you would rise again.”

Despite herself, Ai laughed. “Have you even seen the students that are at this school now? They’re barely awkward children, much less an army. How are we supposed to make them one?” The idea itself seemed ludicrous. Although, she supposed if they were going to take over the world they would need an army. For some reason, she now thought she knew how to train one too.

“I don’t know, Great Ones,” he admitted quietly, bowing his head again. “On the path of your wisdom we trod.”

“You’re a great one for sayings, you know that?” Maimi said, still frowning. “Who are you anyway?”

“I am descended from your servants in ages past. I carry the knowledge of the school, as did all Headmasters before me, in order to support you on your return.”

“You keep talking about our return,” Ai said, trying to think logically about her current very unusual situation. She felt the power flicker within her, teasing her. Despite all the new sensations and cluttered memories that had suddenly assaulted her she was still Ai Takahashi, just… seemingly with more at her disposal. “What does that mean?”

He looked back up to them. “The Great Ones – Nakazawa, Matsuura and Goto – have been reborn within you. They could not fulfill their destiny within their lifetimes, so their souls have waited through the ages until those who they were reborn into could come to this school and regain their powers… as members of the Trinity. You three have been born as goddesses, and can now present yourselves to the world once more.”

“Who’s to say these… Great Ones… were goddesses?” Ai asked, raising a skeptical eyebrow. Despite her nonchalant attitude, the idea struck a hard chord within her. Was what she’d imagined all this time actually the truth?

“It is not my place to doubt,” he said, lowering his head again.

“It is not your place for many things…” came a voice from beyond Maimi. It was Saki, speaking for the first time since whatever happened to them. Ai blinked. What had the girl been doing? She hadn’t even noticed her presence. “Including this.”

Shadows coalesced in front of her before jumping out at the headmaster and seeming to vanish into him. He suddenly went rigid, and his eyes bulged out. He screamed, and as he did Saki stepped forward, a knife flashing in her hand as if it were a claw, and it swept across his throat causing him to gurgle and fall onto his side, twitching as he tried to catch breath that wouldn’t come. Ai gaped at Saki as the small girl stared at the fallen Headmaster, yet oddly, it appeared, through him, her own face dark and somewhat obscured by shadow.

“Why…?” Ai asked, unable to form any more words. She’d just seen the Head of House Goto murder the Headmaster of Seishin!

Instead of a response from Saki, she heard Maimi chuckle. “See Ai-chan? This is why it’s a bad idea to get on Saki-chan’s bad side. Still…” She frowned over at Saki. “He might have been able to help us. I know I don’t know what’s going on out there.”

“I do,” Saki responded in a low voice, and she stepped toward the star to look into the night that now surrounded them, her eyes seeming once more to look far beyond the shroud of twilight. “And Ai-chan does too.”

She turned back toward Maimi, who now looked quite offended that she was apparently being excluded from something. Ai couldn’t imagine what; she was sure she didn’t know any more of what the girl was talking about than Maimi did. “You were always the temperamental one,” Saki continued, with a small but wicked grin twisting the corner of her mouth. “If you thought a bit more before you acted, maybe you’d actually learn some things.”

Maimi jumped at her in anger, but Ai jumped just as quickly to hold her back. “Let me go!” she demanded.

“Weren’t you the one that just said not to get on Saki-chan’s bad side?” Ai said with a grin as she struggled to contain the feisty girl.

“Fine,” she retorted. She turned around to Ai. “Care to tell me what’s going on then?”

Ai glanced outside too, where she now began to hear screaming and yelling of confused panicking students. She basically ignored the Headmaster, who lay on the floor as his life bled out of him. She hadn’t liked to see it happen, but there was nothing she could do about it now. Now, the three of them were truly the heads of Seishin. “It’s time to build our army.”

“Something’s different,” Miyabi said suddenly, looking toward the wall as if it were a window to the outside. Airi supposed it was the best she could do, since after all this room had no actual windows.

Mari had been explaining to them the history of the Skulls, which seemed to bore most of the girls in the room. Risako and Koharu in fact seemed about to nod off, while Reina’s eyes had been closed for the last several minutes as she breathed evenly in apparent slumber. Mari just went on in that perky way of hers throughout it all, as if not paying any attention to what was actually going on around her.

She cut off and blinked though when Miyabi suddenly interrupted her, her eyes following Miyabi’s to the wall. “What?” she asked. “Is something coming through the wall?” The wall stood quiet and very white before their eager stares.

“No…” Airi said, suddenly noticing something as well. She didn’t look at the wall though. Instead, she looked up toward the ceiling.

Mari now stared at the two of them with narrowed eyes, apparently catching onto the fact that her two wonder girls noticed something that the rest couldn’t, and as such was likely important.

Reina opened an eye and cast it over at them. Catching a glance at the girl, Airi thought once again about how that eye creeped her out. It definitely did not move naturally within its socket! Then, she quickly pulled her legs down from the chair’s arm and sat on the edge of its seat. “What’s going on?” she asked.

“The Sun,” Airi said. “It disappeared.” She blushed as she felt the eyes of every other girl in the room focus on her after the colossal pronouncement. Risako, wide awake suddenly, looked at her very cautiously.

Miyabi frowned over at Airi before detaching herself from her and rising from the couch. Airi felt suddenly cold when the girl released her; they’d been snuggled together for so long she had gotten quite warm and comfortable. Why did the girl have to leave?

“There’s some kind of power…” Miyabi said. “I’ve never felt anything like it before. I think we should go outside.”

Then she headed for the door. Airi jumped up to follow closely behind her, with the other girls trailing behind. Mari looked quite interested in what the two of them were leading them toward.

Walking through the halls they noticed a flurry of activity, and for once the student or two they spotted around a corner didn’t seem to give them any notice at all. Eventually they made it outside.

“Damn, Yaguchi,” Miki said, looking up into the inky darkness. “How long did you lecture us for?” She looked at her watch, and shook it as if it wasn’t working right.

Risako pulled her cell phone out and checked it as it lit up in front of her face. “It’s four o’clock…” she said, looking back nervously to the sky.

Many of the Nakazawa girls stood outside too, most in small clusters, as they pointed up at the sky in surprise as well as burgeoning fear. A few now started looking sideways over at the group of Skulls, and one of the clusters even started walking toward them. Airi thought nothing of it though until she noticed their eyes were fixed on the eight of them. They stopped while they were still a few paces away, looking at each other nervously as if no one wanted to speak up first. Finally one fairly short-haired girl, a few years older than Airi, stepped forward and pointed at them.

“What did you do now?!” she demanded. “We know you attacked the Circle earlier. You have some crazy witchy powers or something! You even made that eclipse!” When mentioning the eclipse she pointed only at Airi, who shrunk into Miyabi’s side, clinging to her arm and not happy about the attention. “Now the whole sky is gone and… well…” She looked to her friends for support, and they nodded. One of her friends had long, pretty hair, and the other two Airi thought were foreign exchange students. “It has to be your fault!”

“Now Kamei…” Fujimoto said, stepping forward with an almost seductive smile. The girl who’d spoken up stepped back quickly into the protective shelter of her friends as if the smile came from a viper, and not a recently graduated member of her own house. The long-haired girl held her arm similar to how Airi held onto Miyabi’s. Airi thought about that a second. Was that how she looked? That pathetic and helpless? Bravely, she let go of Miyabi’s arm and took a step away. Unfortunately, no sooner had she let go than Miyabi pulled her back protectively.

“Honestly!” she cried out suddenly. Miyabi’s head turned to her and she blinked. The other girls gave her odd looks as well – especially Fujimoto, who shot her a glare as if this was business she should stay out of.

Airi realized she’d spoken before she thought again, but she would not blush and cower away this time. This time she would be strong. She waggled a finger at Miyabi. “You!” she commanded in a no-nonsense voice. Miyabi blinked again and adopted a wary expression. “You may be my girlfriend now, but that doesn’t mean you have to protect me all the time! Just because you’re older doesn’t mean I’m helpless. Would you really want to be going out with a helpless girl in the first place? No you wouldn’t, and you know you aren’t. So act like it!”

Reina giggled and elbowed Koharu, who was standing next to her. “Miyakko’s being scolded,” she said in a low but very amused voice.

“And you!” Airi said, pointing at the captain. Reina suddenly adopted an expression of innocence and disinterest. Even though she pointed at her, Airi realized she really had nothing to say to the girl, so she turned to the group of Nakazawas that stood, now cowering, in front of Fujimoto, who was rapidly becoming amused herself.

“And you!” she said, pointing at them now. She narrowed her eyes. “Who are you, anyway?”

The girls exchanged looks. “Um… I’m Eri…” the brave one said, as if afraid what would happen if she didn’t respond. “Eri Kamei.”

“I’m Sayumi Michishige,” the long-haired one said in a high-pitched voice. Airi tilted her head. That one was actually quite pretty. Then she reeled at a hard elbow in the ribs from Miyabi.

As she rubbed it, giving her girlfriend a nasty glare, the other two introduced themselves hesitantly.

“I’m Li Chun,” one of the exchange students said in slightly broken language.

“Qian Lin,” the other announced. Airi mouthed that one’s name, wondering if she could pronounce it.

“Now that we’ve got that out of the way…” Fujimoto said with a grin still. She turned back to the Nakazawa girls. “So you think we did this, huh?”

Before they could respond though, a voice came on the loudspeaker above the door. They could hear it echoing from the ones inside the building as well. “Attention House Nakazawa!” It was Takahashi. Everyone standing outside looked around at each other in puzzlement. “How is everyone doing?”

Airi glowered at the cheery-sounding voice, partly because of their sudden darkening situation, but also because the last time she’d run into the girl, she’d thrown her into a forest with a lightning bolt.

“I and the other Heads of Seishin would like to make the announcement that until further notice, all classes and club meetings have been cancelled. We want you to all get a wonderful nights rest, and be up bright and early in the morning! You won’t see the sun, so be sure to set your alarms! There will be an all-school assembly at eight in the central dining hall. Please wear comfortable clothes; seifuku is not required. Good night everyone!”

When she signed off Airi looked around at her friends and the other Skulls, who shared dark looks. “Someone seems to know what’s going on,” Miyabi said.

“Classes are cancelled?” The girl’s words had finally sunk into Airi. “But my literature assignment is due on Monday! Wait… I haven’t started on it yet because of the research I was doing on the Skulls…”

“You’re really strange, you know that?” Reina told her, her face contorted as if she couldn't fathom Airi's quirks one bit.

“I may be…” Airi said meekly.

“Do you all still think we’re the ones who caused this?” Reina asked, changing tack and looking over toward the older Nakazawa girls.

“…Didn’t you?” the Michishige girl asked.

“No we didn’t!” Miyabi growled, apparently willing to dispense with politeness since these girls were not of her House. Or maybe it was just because of Airi’s furtive looks toward Michishige.

“It’s all around us…” Airi said, her attention diverted from her companions as she noticed something. Everyone else stared at her again. This time she ignored them though. The Nakazawa girls gave her curious looks. She was one of the youngest of their group, but all the rest looked at her attentively as if what she had to say actually mattered.

“What are you saying, Airi?” Mari asked. Even though none of the other girls knew who she was, she was clearly the eldest, even though she was so small, and her interest in Airi was the most striking of all.

“It’s magic,” Airi responded. She squinted up into the darkness at what looked like distant threads of some ethereal fabric. “It’s hiding the Sun and everything else around us.” She looked down over the tops of the trees. “It goes all the way to the ground… just past the forest.”

“What are you saying?” Chisato asked fearfully. “It’s covering us?”

Airi nodded. “And keeping us in.”

“Umm…” Li Chun said, looking over at Airi. Apparently seeing such a young girl talk about something like this wasn’t unusual to her for some reason. “I did not understand all you said…” she said slowly. “But we cannot leave? Who would do this?”

“I have a very good idea of who…” Miyabi said, glowering. Airi noticed she looked in the direction of the Circle’s building, the view of which was blocked by trees and half of House Nakazawa from their present position. Airi reached out and took her hand, squeezing it softly. Miyabi had told her a little of what went on when she was captive, and it made her anger flare higher at the three girls who resided there.

“The question is why,” Reina said, looking comfortingly toward Miyabi too. Despite her seeming intentions, Airi didn’t like that look at all. It appeared far too intimate for her liking. Whatever the two of them might have done together was something Miyabi had not told her so far.

“I think I can answer that,” Mari said, looking around at all of them. “The three founders of this school thought that with their divine blood they should be influential, that people should bow to them. People did for a while until a Queen betrayed them.”

Her audience stared woodenly at her. “Come on guys,” she said, frowning at them. “Weren’t any of you listening earlier?”

“No,” Reina said plainly.

Mari sighed. “Anyway, the point is, despite their apparent good intentions their rule would have been a cruel one. That led to their downfall, but before they died Maki Goto made a prophecy that they would rise again – that prophecy from your book, Airi.” Airi swallowed. Hearing it all spelled out made it seem somehow all the more real to her.

Mari went on. “I think their heirs have taken the reins of Seishin.” Her gaze pierced each girl in her audience, even the Nakazawa girls. “If they still want to rule, we are in a good deal of trouble, and you three are the only ones that can stop them.” She looked at Reina, Miyabi and Airi in turn as she spoke.

“That shouldn’t be a problem,” Airi said. “I nearly knocked two of them unconscious already.” This time she heard gasps from the Nakazawas, and she looked hard over at them. “They were hurting Miyabi.” The four girls looked at each other as if not so sure that was necessarily a bad thing.

“Um… Airi…” Miyabi whispered into her ear. “I don’t know if that’ll help much. “I kinda, er, welcomed that Qi… Qya... whatever girl to Japan and to the school. I’m not sure if she likes me very much. I had a run-in with Michishige too.”

“But she’s too pretty!” Airi cried, aghast. Miyabi narrowed her eyes at her again, causing her to snap her mouth shut tightly.

“Excuse me…” the Chinese girl Miyabi had assaulted said, looking angrily at her. The effect was somewhat lost though in the brisk high-pitched voice she used. “If you cannot pronounce my name, you can call me Lin Lin. That is what my friends call me.”

“Lin Lin?” Reina asked. “Isn’t that a panda?” Lin Lin blushed.

“So…” Kamei said, looking nervously from Lin Lin to Airi and the other Skulls. “If you’re right, then Ai-chan and the others are bad people. Why should we believe you? You beat everyone up all the time…” Wide-eyed as she spoke, she looked positively terrified at the very thought. Michishige though, at Kamei’s side, smiled over at Airi. Airi at least hadn’t proven she had bad intentions yet. In return, Airi smiled back wistfully.

“If you don’t stop gawking at that girl who is way too old for you, I swear I’ll beat her up again…” Miyabi growled into her ear. Airi’s smile vanished quicker than Miyabi did when she showed her one of the little “tricks” she could do, and she felt Miyabi’s arm snake around her waist and pull her tightly against her side. Airi squeaked. Very tightly.

“I would say…” Reina said, appearing deep in thought, her finger tapping against her teeth. “If you don’t believe us now, go to the assembly tomorrow morning and then decide. We won’t be there, so you can come find us afterward if they weren’t entirely convincing to you.”

Airi yawned, carefully avoiding looking toward the Nakazawa girls. Tomorrow sounded like it would be a long day.

“Do you think they’ll come to the assembly?” Ai asked.

Maimi paced around the room, hands held behind her back as she thought. Did the girl ever relax? Saki stared up at her with a bored expression. “Of course not,” she said, not breaking her stride. “But all the best that they don’t. By the time it’s over they’ll find the whole school against them. I’d like to see what they think their pathetic powers could do against that.”

“Remember,” Saki pointed out, still appearing bored. “The youngest one of them almost ripped your soul apart with her pathetic power.” That finally caused Maimi to stop and glower at her.

The smallest girl had finally come out of what seemed like almost a trance she’d been in since killing the Headmaster. She told them she just had a harder time adjusting to the new way her powers worked within her than they did, but Ai thought she knew better. The girl wasn’t that weak. Strangely, she thought she caught glances from her occasionally too that promised she’d explain it all whenever they could manage to be alone.

“That was nothing,” Maimi said, waving a hand dismissively. “We’re too strong now to let that happen again.”

“If you say so,” Saki said, and she curled up into her comfortable chair. It was a large chair, and combined with Saki’s size and flexibility, it appeared to Ai she could nestle her whole body in there where someone else would only be able to sit. Ai tilted her head. Well, maybe she could do that too. It was a large chair, and she wasn’t that much bigger than Saki. Maimi definitely wouldn’t be able to though.

“Well,” Maimi said, resuming her pacing. “One way or another we’ll find out after the assembly.”

“An assembly…” Ai said, looking down at her fingernails, checking them for smoothness. “That’s very quaint, isn’t it? You do know we’re trying to take over the world?”

“You’re the one who suggested it,” Maimi grumbled.

“That’s right…” Ai responded with a sigh. That was true; she thought it was too late to bring the girls together tonight, that they had to take time to get used to their new surroundings. However, the way she looked at things seemed to be slowly changing with every minute that ticked by.

“You know what?” she said. “I’m going to go find Nii-chan. I’m sure she’ll find all of this fascinating.” She walked toward the door, but looked back just before she got there. “You two have fun now,” she said with a grin. She had no idea if the two of them had ever done anything, but she had suspicions ever since she met them since the two seemed to be together all the time.

Seeing the look of disgust on Maimi’s face as she gave Saki a glance, she thought she might be wrong. In any case, the two of them were definitely strange, despite the just as strange affinity she’d developed for them as the night went on. It seemed to be the strongest with Saki for some reason, although she didn’t mind that at all. Except for the small facts that the girl positively terrified her sometimes, and had just murdered their Headmaster.

Oh well… she thought. It wasn’t her fault she was the only one who had someone to go to at night. Stepping down the stairs from the large bedroom on the second floor of the Circle’s building, she smiled. None of it would matter anyway come tomorrow. Then everyone would see how things stood… even the too-cheeky Head of House Matsuura.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:36:18 PM by rokun »

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2007, 07:25:14 AM »
Fascinating as always rokun. I really had a few giggles in this chapter as well, especially at Airi and her thoughts on Sayumi. But, what I really wonder about is how Risa will react when she finds out. Will she be able to recalibrate Ai's moral compass? God I hope so.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2008, 12:51:46 AM »
The younger girls of their little party, including Airi, were a little self-conscious at the not-so-welcome attention. Airi for one even began to get upset. She worried about her reputation from the minute she was told she had joined the Skulls, and then again when she thought she was dating Miyabi, but after the events of today it didn’t seem likely many of the other students would ever talk to her again. Even some of the girls she now walked with seemed to shy away from her. Koharu was the most visible, along with Risako for some reason – that made her saddest – but she caught Chisato looking askance at her from time to time as well. Not to mention Reina’s considering looks, although she looked more curious than afraid.
Well, it's not like they can help it. It's simply human nature to react and pay a bit more attention when things like this happen (especially when they are unexpected as they were here).  They don't do it out of spite, they do it because they're just trying to make sense out of it.

Miyabi was the only one who didn’t seem to treat her any differently. Well, that wasn’t technically true. As they walked they held hands, and this after they’d just made out in front of the entire group. That was most definitely something new, but still, instead of seeming uncomfortable being around her like the others, Miyabi had apparently done the opposite – become much more comfortable. That was a change Airi could live with.
Awwww... :oops:

“Hello everyone!” the short lady said in a perky voice. “I’m Mari Yaguchi! You can call me Mari, or Marippe if you like.” She was dressed in nice-looking black pants with a red shirt and white vest atop it that looked like it could be wool.

“Mari Yaguchi?” Airi asked, the name ringing a bell to her. She felt Miyabi’s eyes turn to her, and noticed she drew the gazes of the other girls as well.
So...the new girl that showed up with Miki is Mari?  How does she fit into all of this?  Was she a Skull before?

And Airi knows her? I wonder how? :?

“A girl named Mari Yaguchi was one of the members of the first Trinity.” Mari seemed to understand her, but as she stared at the other girls Airi realized their faces reflected quite a lack of comprehension, so she elaborated. “…the first Circle.”

“Good girl,” Mari praised Airi, clapping her hands together and smiling. Airi wondered where she got her energy from. It was quite different from the lackadaisical attitude she knew from Reina and Fujimoto, the other leaders of the Skulls she had met. “You’re right. You could say she’s an… ancestor of mine.”
And just how much of an ancestor are we talking about here? Direct descendant?  If so...have any of the original Mari's abilities been passed onto this one?

Also, how did Miki know/find out about her?

Airi felt a strange tingling at that thought. Truthfully, she was a little nervous about that fact. Together with what she knew about her years as a Skull, as well as how good a kisser she seemed to be, it made Airi wonder just how much experience with a variety of things her new girlfriend might already have had.
Uh-oh...not liking where this line of thinking is going.

“My ancestor was in the first Circle…” she began, the warmth slowly fading from her voice as she tried to inflect it so that everyone knew what she had to say was important. “However, she was frightened of the power she received; of what seemed to be expected of her and her newfound friends, the other members of that Trinity. She held her post for as long as she was at Seishin, but after leaving…” She smiled again, a gleam in her eye.

“She knew more than probably anyone else has about her power and what lay behind it, except perhaps the other girls of her Circle. When she left Seishin, she kept influence in the school and began to recruit girls for another purpose, one much different than that of the Trinity. To these girls she gave the name of Skulls.”
:stunned:  Whoa...The Skulls were started by someone from the original Circle.

I wonder if this little tidbit is known to anyone else.

By the sounds of it, the original Mari would have had to have spent considerable time practicing and studying her own powers as well as those of her friends if she knew as much about them as the current Mari claims.  And as the old saying goes, knowledge is power.  She must have written down/documented what she knew, right? I mean, she would have wanted what she learned/knew to be put to good use.

“There are other students with abilities similar to ours, Headmaster Tsunku,” Saki said finally. “Twice now we’ve confronted them, with neither side gaining an advantage. And…” She looked up into his face. “We also found a book.”

“Oh?” he asked, leaning over his desk and steepling his fingers in front of his face.

The three girls exchanged looks at the Headmaster’s raised eyebrow, and Maimi pulled the old book out from within her vest, offering it to him. He took it, but barely gave it a glance before setting it down on his desk. Maimi opened her mouth as if taken aback by his disregard of something that seemed so important to them, but he forestalled her.

“So you’ve discovered your heritage and the prophecy,” he stated.
Sunnovabitch, he knew, didn't he? If he knew, why didn't he tell them?

“Is it true? Are we supposed to rule… the world?”

The smile didn’t fade, but he stepped into the center of the star. The sun was now glowing around the inner point one of its spokes. It appeared it would be quite brilliant when it finally shone through its center. “That was the desire of the Three,” he responded mysteriously. “People need to be shown the way, and that way is best shown by those who are very wise. However, you three are not yet wise. There is still one final test you must pass.”
He makes a good point here. A good ruler is measured by their wisdom, not by their power. Anyone can have power, but that doesn't necessarily make them fit to rule.  A ruler needs to have the wisdom to use that power properly and more importantly, to NOT abuse it.

Then, the Headmaster threw his arms up and out to his sides as the sun came fully into the center of the star, outlining him as if he glowed of his own accord. At the moment though, the Headmaster’s new glowing personality was the least of the concerns of Ai, since when the sudden rays of the sun hit her from around the Headmaster, they reacted violently with the power that lay dormant within her body, and she fell to the floor screaming as if all of her cells and molecules were being rearranged.

After the torment and rapture that seemed as if it would be endless finally ceased, she felt the union complete, and she rose back to her feet, more fully in control of herself than ever before; more fully in control of the power that lay within her. It glowed inside her, like a beacon waiting to be directed to its use. She marveled at the strength she felt. She realized that until now she’d been nothing but a vessel, the means of transport of something much greater than herself. Now that greatness was her. Now she was a goddess.
Why do I get the feeling that somehow the original Circle is, in some way, going to make an appearance soon, and that they're transforming and/or planning on taking over the bodies of the current Circle? :o

And how the hell did Tsunku do what he did? What power does HE have, and how does he connect in all this?

“How honored I am to be able to witness this day…” he said. “The Three have returned, and I have been granted the privilege of being the one to serve.” He walked around his desk and fell to his knees, bowing to them. “My life,” he began, “is yours to command, Great Ones.”

“The school is now yours in order to develop your army.”
Huh?  :mon huh:

Despite herself, Ai laughed. “Have you even seen the students that are at this school now? They’re barely awkward children, much less an army. How are we supposed to make them one?” The idea itself seemed ludicrous. Although, she supposed if they were going to take over the world they would need an army. For some reason, she now thought she knew how to train one too.
Aichan has a good point here.  The very thought of it is...strange, to say the least.

“You keep talking about our return,” Ai said, trying to think logically about her current very unusual situation. She felt the power flicker within her, teasing her. Despite all the new sensations and cluttered memories that had suddenly assaulted her she was still Ai Takahashi, just… seemingly with more at her disposal. “What does that mean?”

He looked back up to them. “The Great Ones – Nakazawa, Matsuura and Goto – have been reborn within you. They could not fulfill their destiny within their lifetimes, so their souls have waited through the ages until those who they were reborn into could come to this school and regain their powers… as members of the Trinity. You three have been born as goddesses, and can now present yourselves to the world once more.”
Sunnova...:o  It creeps me out that I called this...sorta.

“It is not my place to doubt,” he said, lowering his head again.

“It is not your place for many things…” came a voice from beyond Maimi. It was Saki, speaking for the first time since whatever happened to them. Ai blinked. What had the girl been doing? She hadn’t even noticed her presence. “Including this.”

Shadows coalesced in front of her before jumping out at the headmaster and seeming to vanish into him. He suddenly went rigid, and his eyes bulged out. He screamed, and as he did Saki stepped forward, a knife flashing in her hand as if it were a claw, and it swept across his throat causing him to gurgle and fall onto his side, twitching as he tried to catch breath that wouldn’t come. Ai gaped at Saki as the small girl stared at the fallen Headmaster, yet oddly, it appeared, through him, her own face dark and somewhat obscured by shadow.
:OMG: Captain...

Well, Goto WAS the most ruthless and power-hungry one out of the three of them, wasn't she?  Still....

Ai glanced outside too, where she now began to hear screaming and yelling of confused panicking students. She basically ignored the Headmaster, who lay on the floor as his life bled out of him. She hadn’t liked to see it happen, but there was nothing she could do about it now. Now, the three of them were truly the heads of Seishin. “It’s time to build our army.”
Aichan...:cry:

“Something’s different,” Miyabi said suddenly, looking toward the wall as if it were a window to the outside. Airi supposed it was the best she could do, since after all this room had no actual windows.

She cut off and blinked though when Miyabi suddenly interrupted her, her eyes following Miyabi’s to the wall. “What?” she asked. “Is something coming through the wall?” The wall stood quiet and very white before their eager stares.

“No…” Airi said, suddenly noticing something as well. She didn’t look at the wall though. Instead, she looked up toward the ceiling.

Mari now stared at the two of them with narrowed eyes, apparently catching onto the fact that her two wonder girls noticed something that the rest couldn’t, and as such was likely important.
Airi and Miyabi must have the strongest innate powers out of them all, which could explain why they can sense something's off.

Many of the Nakazawa girls stood outside too, most in small clusters, as they pointed up at the sky in surprise as well as burgeoning fear. A few now started looking sideways over at the group of Skulls, and one of the clusters even started walking toward them. Airi thought nothing of it though until she noticed their eyes were fixed on the eight of them. They stopped while they were still a few paces away, looking at each other nervously as if no one wanted to speak up first. Finally one fairly short-haired girl, a few years older than Airi, stepped forward and pointed at them.

“What did you do now?!” she demanded. “We know you attacked the Circle earlier. You have some crazy witchy powers or something! You even made that eclipse!” When mentioning the eclipse she pointed only at Airi, who shrunk into Miyabi’s side, clinging to her arm and not happy about the attention. “Now the whole sky is gone and… well…” She looked to her friends for support, and they nodded. One of her friends had long, pretty hair, and the other two Airi thought were foreign exchange students. “It has to be your fault!”
Uh-oh, potential mob mentality here. Fear and groups of people do NOT mix well.

a voice came on the loudspeaker above the door. They could hear it echoing from the ones inside the building as well. “Attention House Nakazawa!” It was Takahashi. Everyone standing outside looked around at each other in puzzlement. “How is everyone doing?”

Airi glowered at the cheery-sounding voice, partly because of their sudden darkening situation, but also because the last time she’d run into the girl, she’d thrown her into a forest with a lightning bolt.

“I and the other Heads of Seishin would like to make the announcement that until further notice, all classes and club meetings have been cancelled. We want you to all get a wonderful nights rest, and be up bright and early in the morning! You won’t see the sun, so be sure to set your alarms! There will be an all-school assembly at eight in the central dining hall. Please wear comfortable clothes; seifuku is not required. Good night everyone!”

When she signed off Airi looked around at her friends and the other Skulls, who shared dark looks. “Someone seems to know what’s going on,” Miyabi said.
Hmmm...this mention of an "assembly" has me worried. Something tells me it's going to be a "you're either with us or not, and if you're not, we kill you" type of thing. :scared:

“It’s all around us…” Airi said, her attention diverted from her companions as she noticed something. Everyone else stared at her again. This time she ignored them though. The Nakazawa girls gave her curious looks. She was one of the youngest of their group, but all the rest looked at her attentively as if what she had to say actually mattered.

“What are you saying, Airi?” Mari asked. Even though none of the other girls knew who she was, she was clearly the eldest, even though she was so small, and her interest in Airi was the most striking of all.

“It’s magic,” Airi responded. She squinted up into the darkness at what looked like distant threads of some ethereal fabric. “It’s hiding the Sun and everything else around us.” She looked down over the tops of the trees. “It goes all the way to the ground… just past the forest.”

“What are you saying?” Chisato asked fearfully. “It’s covering us?”

Airi nodded. “And keeping us in.”
Mari still hasn't revealed all that she knows, and something tells me that Airi's presence is going to turn out to be really significant.

“The three founders of this school thought that with their divine blood they should be influential, that people should bow to them. People did for a while until a Queen betrayed them.”

Her audience stared woodenly at her. “Come on guys,” she said, frowning at them. “Weren’t any of you listening earlier?”

“No,” Reina said plainly.
:mon sweat:

“So…” Kamei said, looking nervously from Lin Lin to Airi and the other Skulls. “If you’re right, then Ai-chan and the others are bad people. Why should we believe you? You beat everyone up all the time…”

“I would say…” Reina said, appearing deep in thought, her finger tapping against her teeth. “If you don’t believe us now, go to the assembly tomorrow morning and then decide. We won’t be there, so you can come find us afterward if they weren’t entirely convincing to you.”
Sure they can come find them...if they're still alive and in control of their own minds/wills after it. :mon scare:

“Remember,” Saki pointed out, still appearing bored. “The youngest one of them almost ripped your soul apart with her pathetic power.” That finally caused Maimi to stop and glower at her.

“That was nothing,” Maimi said, waving a hand dismissively. “We’re too strong now to let that happen again.”
Maimi's definitely confident in their abilities now, even though they haven't had a change to try them out in full yet.  She needs to be careful though that she doesn't let her confidence turn to arrogance, as it likely will lead to her underestimating Airi and the others.

“You know what?” she said. “I’m going to go find Nii-chan. I’m sure she’ll find all of this fascinating.”
And what if she doesn't? What if Aichan finds that Risa is terrified at what's happening and at what she and the others are doing?  They expect all the students to fall in line and follow their orders without question, and probably plan on dealing with those who don't in a really harsh and decisive manner. Well, can Aichan treat Risa that way, especially considering how she's come to terms with how she really feels about her?

PS. YAY FOR CAMEOS BY KAMESHIGE AND JUNLIN!!!  :k-thrilled:

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2008, 07:32:51 AM »
wha, wha? gejursjgedvfwtef,  Saki killing Tsunku :shocked: ..and with the knife to the throat....wow. I'm sure there's probably gonna be another violent death to come, and I'll be waiting  :P. Geez, Ai seems like the only sain one. I have many predictions about what will happen with Ai in the future, but I don't want to ruin the fun, I'll just wait to see if my predictions are proven right.  I'm looking foward to reading  about the assembly in the next chapter.  Maybe the Circle will shut the doors and not let anyone out, like in that Movie "Carrie."...and all hell broke loose, :lol:

Loser87

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
Holy crappers!
This chapter was like woah..
Especially with Saki ruthlessly slitting Tsunku's throat like that just... :mon scare: :mon ref:
I have a lot of theories that I think Might happen but I'm just going to keep it to myself for now until I get more proof..

I find it cute that Yaguchi an original member of the Circle started the Skulls

MMmm...Something in me has been pestering me that Risako has a very important role in this story later one, despite her little and few appearances and part in this story so far..Something tells me later on in the future chapters she'll be very important.. :mon suspect:

Anyway, UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!
On both stories!!!
 :mon baby: :mon baby: :mon baby:

Offline maiZe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
I was out of the country for a few weeks to attend my cousin's wedding (with limited internet access), thus no recent chapter comments, but I was so happy to see all the updates during the holidays!

I should probably be focusing on the big moments of what went on in this chapter, but I'm afraid that Airi's cuteness is simply taking up all my attention (though that is not to say that I'm not interested to see what is going to happen next).

“Honestly!” she cried out suddenly. Miyabi’s head turned to her and she blinked. ...

Airi realized she’d spoken before she thought again.
Airi's so amusing when she acts solely based on her emotions. Makes me just want to pat her on the head. If she were an anime character, I could just see the big old tear drop on her head.

“And you!” Airi said, pointing at the captain. Reina suddenly adopted an expression of innocence and disinterest. Even though she pointed at her, Airi realized she really had nothing to say to the girl, so she turned to the group of Nakazawas that stood, now cowering, in front of Fujimoto, who was rapidly becoming amused herself.
Oh Airi, there you go again... XD

I'm infinitely enjoying all the Airi x Miya! They're just so adorable, with Airi's fascination with their new relationship, Miya's protectiveness, Airi's desire to still be independent, and Miya's possessiveness (lol... no stealing Airi away from Miya, evil Sayu... XD)

It'll be interesting to see how Risako acts around Airi as this progresses, seeing as they've been friends for so long, and this all seems to be weirding Risako out to the extreme.

As for the Circle, there was always something really dark about Saki. Was surprised she just straight out killed the headmaster, but wasn't particularly shocked.

Am looking forward to see what goes on at the assembly, how the school reacts to what the Circle has to say, and particularly how the Nakazawa girls who chatted with the Skulls will react.

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Circle of Three [14: Alliances]
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2008, 04:54:57 PM »
Thank you for all your comments. :) I forgot how much there was to react to from the last chapter lol. Well this chapter is a lot of set up, but hopefully you'll enjoy as well... Here we go!

Chapter 14 – Alliances

“Wake up, you two,” Reina announced, stepping on Miyabi and Airi and making them wake to the pain. “And put some clothes on. Nobody wants to know what you got up to overnight.”

Coming to consciousness enough to realize what Reina was saying, Airi blushed furiously and suddenly felt very aware of Miyabi’s warm body lying next to her own. What did the girl have in her head? They most certainly did not get up to anything in the night, and Airi had just as many clothes on as she did before going to bed since it wasn’t like they were able to return to their rooms for pyjamas. As she got up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes she stared after Reina as the older girl woke and rounded up some of the others. She just really did not know what the girl got into that head of hers.

“Good morning,” Miyabi mumbled as she sat up next to her. This Skull was obviously not a morning person as her long hair was disheveled and her eyes looked like they could close again at any moment. Her clothes were badly wrinkled too. Airi wondered how she could have managed that while just stuffed into a small sleeping bag along with her the whole night long.

“Good morning!” she responded brightly, blinking to try and wake further.

Miyabi stared at her. “…You’re very cheery.”

“Of course!” Airi piped up. “It’s morning!”

“Whatever,” Miyabi said, “I don’t know if I could handle this every morning…” She rose awkwardly to her feet to wander off in the direction of a washroom. Airi giggled at the fresh thing she’d just learned about her new girlfriend.

Apparently seeing the older girl walk away, Chisato shuffled hesitantly toward Airi while giving her shifty, sleepy looks. She was who Reina had gotten to after Airi and Miyabi, and the Captain was now on the other side of the room chatting with Mari and Fujimoto, who had also apparently been awake early.

“It feels weird not going to this assembly…” Chisato said quietly, giving the three eldest girls furtive looks. “I know I’ve joined the Skulls and now I’m really supposed to be a rebel and all, but missing a school assembly… this is serious.”

“I know I’m not crazy about willingly putting myself in a situation where Takahashi and the others have any control,” Airi said sagely, studying her friend. “I think it’s for the best. Plus we’ve got ourselves, right? It’s not like we’re alone.”

That was most definitely true; they weren’t alone. All of the girls who had gathered to hear from Mari had stayed overnight in the House Nakazawa lounge the Skulls claimed as their own. Most of them felt it was best to stay together, and after the events of the previous day the younger girls gave no argument.

Aside from that Airi of course had an ulterior motive – anything that would mean she could spend more time with Miyabi was for the best as far as she was concerned. It was funny how that happened so quickly… She wondered if it’s like this for everyone when they first begin going out. If so, even though she was still young, she wished she would have experienced it sooner.

She was distracted from her friend a moment by Miyabi sauntering back into the room in some boxers and a t-shirt, looking around a bit as if deciding who she wanted to join. Airi began smiling dreamily, and caught herself just in time to see Chisato look down and give a sigh Airi had a feeling she wasn’t expected to see.

“Does my being with Miyabi make you uncomfortable, Chisa?” she asked earnestly, catching the girl’s attention quickly again. She apparently had assumed Airi wasn’t paying attention to her.

“No,” she responded. “Of course not. I’m glad to see you seem to be happy.”

By the girl’s short and terse sentences Airi knew that she was lying through her teeth. She scooted closer to her friend and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, very conscious of Miyabi’s eyes following her watchfully.

“You know you’re still my best friend, right?” she told Chisato encouragingly. “No one’s gonna change that, especially not Miss Miyabi Natsuyaki. I may do things with her and sleep with her and maybe even kiss her…” she said, a slight flush coming to her cheeks at her words. “But she definitely doesn’t take your place. I mean, you don’t want me to start kissing you, do you?” She ended with a giggle at the ridiculous notion.

“Of course not…” Chisato said, shifting uncomfortably under Airi’s arm. “Things are different though. Especially with all this other scary stuff going on… And there’s Risako…”

Airi’s face fell slightly at that. That was a problem. Since finding out she and Miyabi were together, Risako had nearly avoided her like the plague. She couldn’t figure out why, but the girl always managed to elude her if she tried approaching her. There was always someone else to go off and talk to, or else some other place to be.

She gazed across the room to where the eight-day-older-than-her girl was chatting comfortably with Koharu, as well as dutifully ignoring Airi and Chisato as if the two of them didn’t exist. She didn’t know what the girl’s problem was and really wanted to talk to her about it, but with everything else that was going on and her seeming reluctance to talk, she wondered if she’d ever manage to do it.

She embraced Chisato a bit tighter for comfort, leaning her head on her shoulder. Would anything be normal again? No classes… Classes were never cancelled at Seishin. She wondered what could have caused it, and if the Headmaster would have anything to say about it.

Miyabi finally came back to their little area and sat cross-legged in front of them. “Hey,” she said, looking between the two.

“Hey,” Chisato said, looking uncertainly at Miyabi as Airi kept her head on her shoulder.

“Apparently that Marippe person is going to talk to us a bit while the assembly goes on. Says we didn’t listen well enough yesterday, and it’s important so we need to go over it again.” Miyabi finished with a toothy grin.

Airi narrowed her eyes toward the captain as she continued speaking with Mari. Noticing Airi’s eyes, she gave her a winning smile that Airi returned with a straight face. “It’s not my fault people don’t listen…” she said. “In fact I’m not even sure what I’m still doing here.” Her eyes slid back to Miyabi to see the girl still grinning at her. Oh… she thought to herself. She really was losing it!

Chisato gave her a glare that told her that she most certainly was not going anywhere, and she hugged the girl tighter and giggled in response.

“So what do you think is going on outside?” Miyabi drawled lazily, which Airi thought was an obvious attempt at trying not to notice Airi’s proximity to Chisato. It wasn’t her fault the older girl didn’t know their relationship, and it was something she was just going to have to learn. Call it Airi’s School of Hard Knocks. She tilted her head in thought. Well, maybe it was best not to call it that.

Finally able to focus again on reality, she noticed Miyabi looking curiously at her. She’d pulled her head off Chisato’s shoulder, even though she still had an arm around her, and her younger friend was giving her a questioning gaze too. What? Was she supposed to have all the answers? Even Mari was watching her as Reina blabbed on in her ear.

“Um…” she said. “Well we’re not gonna see the Sun… In fact it’s been getting darker since yesterday afternoon. I don’t think there was any moon either.”

“There wasn’t,” Miyabi interjected, bringing stares from the two younger girls.

“But… you guys are gonna fix it, right?” Chisato asked, looking anxiously between them. “I mean, you can do stuff.” She fixed her eyes on Airi. “Rii-chan said you have some type of… thing… with the Sun. You can bring it back, right?”

Airi stared at her. What did the girl think she was? Kami-sama? “Um…” she only said in response.

“What I think…” Miyabi said, reaching a twitchy hand over to Airi’s wrist to pull her with surprising strength away from Chisato and into her lap. Airi blushed furiously, and she thought she heard Chisato scooting away a little too. “Is that we need to stay together and work on something. Mako is here to help us out with things like this after all.”

Airi, trying to suppress the blush, pulled back to stare at her. “Who?”

“You know,” Miyabi replied, looking at her as if she was stupid. “Short girl. Dresses well.” She pointed. “Standing over there talking to Reina?”

“Mari?” Airi asked, becoming amused.

“Whatever,” Miyabi responded dismissively. Airi giggled.

“Well, what do you think we should do?” Airi asked, curious to see what her girlfriend had to say. Chisato appeared just as curious, since she was the one that thought they should be taking care of it after all.

“I think we need to run up to Takahashi, Yajima and Shimizu…” she began, opening her arms in an lavish way as she sat with Airi in her lap. “And we need to grab them…” In a flash she closed her arms around Airi and held her tight as she squeaked in surprise. “And just take them down!” Lunging forward, she tackled Airi to the ground, causing her to giggle and Chisato to scoot quickly away.

“Alright kids!” Fujimoto called, sauntering over to them. “The assembly’s about to begin, and we need to start figuring out what we’re going to do. I have a feeling that not showing up is going to cause us some problems, so we’ll need to be prepared right away when it’s over.” She finished in a serious tone that was quite unusual for her, and Airi and Miyabi sat back up, straightening their clothes slightly. After Airi gave her a cute pleading glance, Chisato scooted back to join them too in looking up toward Fujimoto and Mari.

While the three of them looked up from their seated positions on the floor, Risako and Koharu both glanced over from their standing perch on the other side of the room as well, and Mari considered them all, flanked by Reina and Miki, who returned to them after rounding the younger girls up.

After meeting the eyes of each of the younger girls, the Yaguchi woman, shortest of them all, walked over to a fireplace and laid her hand on the mantle. “I know you’re all young girls…” she said quietly, and her tone of voice caught the rapt attention of everyone in the room. “I wish you could just live ‘normal’ lives. Go to college… get a good job… marry a handsome and successful man. I don’t know if you realized it, but that all changed the day you decided to join the Skulls.”

Airi wanted to raise her hand and say that she most certainly had never decided to join the Skulls, but thought it was best to keep quiet in this situation. Risako was handling it well, so she could too. She glanced at her friend, but her eyes were only fixed straight ahead on Mari.

“Did you ever wonder why the Skulls audition is such an ordeal?”

“But all secret societies are like that,” Koharu piped up, looking around. “There’s always some type of initiation because not just anyone can be let in.”

“Secret societies don’t usually send you to a deep cave to perform an act where you are literally risking your life,” Mari responded with a twist to the corner of her mouth. “They’re designed that way because the Skulls want only the strong… Those physically strong, as well as emotionally and morally. The reason behind it… was to gather them into a tight group under the watchful eye of someone like me so we could control the hands of fate.”

With the complete attention of all of her Skulls now, Mari went on in a confident voice. “My ancestors knew of the prophecy that the Three would rise again. We knew that their rise would have an immediate and potentially far-reaching impact on the world when it happened. We hoped that, as divine fate tends to unfold, others would rise and be able to quell the witches’ fires. We hoped for the True Blood… and we did our best to ensure they would be Skulls.” Now she beamed around at Reina, Airi and Miyabi. “Thankfully, they are.”

The gathered girls all looked around at each other now in confusion, Risako even deigning to give Airi a glance in worry and budding excitement. “But what are these True Blood?” Miyabi asked.

Mari smiled down at her. “That I can’t tell you. It’s something you must find out in the struggle ahead of you.”

“To make it clear, you’re only talking about a few of us, right?” Chisato asked, drawing the eyes of those in the room yet not flinching. She stared straight over at Airi and Miyabi. “I mean, I’m not anything special. And we’ve seen what kinds of things… some of us can do.”

“That would be me, Miyakko and Suzuki then, right? Just like you said last night.” Reina said, gazing stoically at the three seated girls. “Not that we really have any idea what we can do yet.”

“Hey,” Miyabi said, returning the look with a frown. “I can teleport. And you obviously can heal people.”

“Yeah, you can jump around wherever you want…” Reina responded with mock thoughtfulness. “…If only you didn’t get sick whenever trying to do it.”

“I’m getting better!” Miyabi shot back, but Reina ignored her.

“As for me, sure you might have been dead if it wasn’t for me – and don’t believe for a second I’ll ever let you forget that – but how is that gonna help us fight a war, or bring the Sun back again?”

Now everyone stared at Airi, who peered around with wide saucer eyes. “Why’s everyone looking at me…?”

“Ahem…”

A few of the eyes turned to Mari as she cleared her throat, grinning and appearing to demand attention despite her short stature. “Nobody said anything about a war…” she commented idly, her eyes settling onto Airi. “I hope it doesn’t get that far. But I’m afraid we might have to act now. In what was passed down to me I heard tell of a shield like the one that’s around the school right now.” She walked around, peering up into each girl’s face she passed. Chisato was the only one short enough for her to meet somewhat levelly, and she returned the gaze strongly. Airi was impressed at her friend, and felt a smile come to her face.

“You know this school was founded by Nakazawa, Goto and Matsuura. They founded this school for learning, yes, but primarily as a training ground for a future army. With the assembly today… I think that army is starting to be formed.”

Silence met her extraordinary declaration. “An army…” Risako began finally, breaking it. “…of students?”

Miyabi and Reina both burst out laughing. “That’s ridiculous!” the girl beside Airi exclaimed. “These…” She spluttered, apparently unable to find an appropriate enough word to describe them. “An army…?”

Think, idiot!” Fujimoto growled, and Airi extended the woman a dangerous glare that she ignored.

“If only it were that simple…” Mari said briskly, eyes wide as she studied Fujimoto carefully. “But I think she’s got the right idea. What better way for a group of young women to gather a large – and prominent for their age – following than from a gaggle of girls who already look up to them and treat them with nearly complete loyalty?”

“Not everyone’s so loyal…” Reina snorted, grinning around proudly at her small group.

“…And that’s what makes you rebels,” Mari responded, finally seeming to reach her goal of setting the wheels turning in the not-so-dull minds of the awed and feared outcasts around her.

“So you want us to try and help you take over the world?” asked a wide-eyed Eri Kamei, standing near the front of the assembly next to a few of the other older Nakazawa girls, acting as if she was positively terrified at the thought.

“Yes!” Ai responded brightly, scanning the crowd in front of her. Most of the other girls of Seishin were staring at her with similar expressions, whether widened eyes or slackened jaws. Some even had both. Such as Kamei for instance. She wondered what was wrong with the girl. She was usually one of the more outspoken members of her house, but now it looked like her worst nightmare was coming true. They had thought the students would jump at the chance to be part of something great like this. As students of Seishin, they were a rather ambitious bunch, after all.

“Rest assured you won’t be facing anything unprepared,” Maimi spoke from beside her, emphasizing her points by gesturing fluidly with her arms. “Building on the knowledge of this school, we will be able to train you to be the best kind of soldiers. No; not soldiers. Leaders. All of you here today are lucky, because you stand at the threshold of history! What’s begun here will wash through Japan from the shores of Tokyo to those of Kanazawa, from Hokkaido to Okinawa. And you’ll be at the forefront of it all!”

Ai had to give the girl credit. She definitely could give an inspiring speech. Well, like Saki had said once before, she was always the emotional and passionate one.

“What about the Headmaster?” came another voice from the assembled students. This time it was from the Matsuura section, and Ai felt Maimi tense up beside her. Umeda she thought the girl’s name was.

Before Maimi could say anything through the heat rising to her face though, Saki stepped up and responded quietly, “The Headmaster has gone out to the rest of Japan already to spread word about our intentions. He will be on that mission for a long time, so it’s up to us to lead the coup from the school.”

“…What’s a coup?” asked another Matsuura girl, one of the younger ones this time. She didn’t know who it was, but the girl was short and had a round face and cute dimples up all the way past her nose.

“It’s what it’s called when the rightful leaders rise up and take control of a government,” Maimi said, giving Saki a mild glare at the interruption when she had plainly planned to respond to the Umeda girl. Ai didn’t really know what was going on there, but she thought she’d seen the two together shortly before the assembly started.

“Why do you think you can lead this government?” asked a tall girl in a somewhat demanding tone of voice. Ai thought she might have been one of their exchange students. She had a feeling they would be particularly difficult to recruit, even though Maimi seemed to think otherwise.

“Many reasons,” Ai said, taking another step closer to them all. She smiled at Risa, who considered her with a small smile of her own from the front row. She was right; the slightly younger girl had found their ideas fascinating when she discussed them with her. However, that wasn’t to say she completely agreed with all of them. Well, nothing could be perfect.

“Some are harder to discern than others,” she continued. “The best thing we feel we can offer though…” She raised her arms in front of her. “…is protection.”

As if emanating from her hands, a gust of wind rose up and spun in the air out over the heads of the assembled girls, who gasped loudly. Eventually the winds carried enough dust that it was almost as if a blanket was covering them all. Then Maimi stepped forward, and the wall of wind and dust ignited in flame, causing even more girls to scream and duck, looking nervously at the blanketing inferno above. Finally Saki stepped up, and visions of horrible monsters started to dart out of the canopy before they were enveloped by the blaze. The students screamed even louder before Ai quickly swung her hands to the sides as if parting a veil, and the wind blew the flame away until it dissipated into nothingness again.

She looked over at Saki, who was staring with great concentration out toward the students, as they began to calm and rise back to their feet again. As if in a wave, they turned their heads again to face the Three.

“What did you just do…?” asked a terrified-looking Matsuura girl who stood next to the dimpled one that spoke earlier. Ai thought she knew this one. Kanna was her name.

“We have unimaginable power,” Maimi said proudly from beside Ai, puffing her chest out. “A small portion of which we have just displayed for you.” She scanned the audience as if trying to hold the gazes of each girl within it. “Yes, gods do exist, and it’s time for Japan – and eventually the world – to return to the enlightened rule of the divine.”

“Um…” came a nervous voice from the Goto bloc. Ai decided she was going to give up trying to name all of these girls… at least for now. “Are we supposed to like, bow or something now?”

Ai smiled warmly at the tallish girl who had very nice legs beneath her skirt. Her taller friend standing next to her had very nice ones too. “There’s no need for that. You’re going to be leaders, remember? You’re the ones people will be bowing to. Many schools say it, but this is where it’s true as toasted tako.” She received some odd looks at her expression, and sighed. Well, at least they were able to understand her accent now… It had not been so easy when she first came to Seishin. “Come to Seishin Joshi Gakuin… and you will leave to lead.”

All three Circle members, even including Saki, began to exhibit broad smiles as similar ones started to appear one after the other on the faces of those arrayed before them.

A subdued group of eight girls marched out of a deserted House Nakazawa, most unable to avoid glances over toward the amphitheatre where the assembly would still be going on. Airi held tightly onto Miyabi’s hand as they walked purposefully ahead, wondering what they had gotten themselves into despite her confidence earlier at what happened the last time she went toe-to-toe with Maimi. Chisato walked next to her, and Risako graced Chisato’s other side, still doing her best to avoid looking at Airi or Miyabi.

They walked through the woods a good way until they reached a large hill, at the bottom of which stood the gaping maw of a cave that was all too familiar to Airi. They walked into the entrance and began lounging just inside, trying to look like they weren’t concerned about anything, although more than one checked the time on her cell phone – even though they had stopped working at some point overnight after having lost connection to the outside world – and looked outside as if seeing something far distant.

“What do you think?” Fujimoto asked Miyabi, whose hand Airi still would not release.

“There have been a lot of different emotions…” Miyabi said. At the moment she was one of those staring off into the distance, but unlike the others, Airi thought she was able to see something more than just endless trees. “There was incredulity, fear, anger… but now more than anything, excitement.”

“Anything else?” Mari asked, stepping up next to Fujimoto, who couldn’t hide her amazement at what Miyabi could apparently discern. Mari herself however seemed completely unfazed. As ridiculous as her story was, especially considering the events of the last few days, Airi actually found herself believing it more and more.

“The Chinese girls aren’t impressed,” Miyabi stated flatly. “Some others aren’t really either, despite the pressures being put on them. And then there are those…”

As Miyabi spoke, Airi sensed that the girl seemed to be looking farther and farther past what was right in front of her, and her eyes nearly glazed over. “Miya…” Airi said, squeezing her hand. “Are you all right?”

The girl didn’t move for a moment before suddenly blinking as if snapping out of some kind of trance, and glanced down at Airi with a haunted look in her eyes. “It’s horrible…” she whispered hoarsely. “Those poor girls… the ones we couldn’t get to but don’t join them… They try to run away…”

Without words, Airi leaned close to the older girl and hugged her tightly, resting her cheek on her shoulder. After a moment Miyabi managed to hug her back. What was the girl seeing? What happened to those who tried to run away?

“There’s nothing we can do for them,” Mari said quietly, studying the two embracing younger girls. “We know who our targets are, and who’s responsible for all of it. If we don’t stop them, much worse things will happen than… will to those students.”

“What are we supposed to do though?” Koharu asked. The girl had stayed quiet through most of their proceedings, but seemed quite adamant at the moment. “Kill them?”

Mari remained silent.

“It’s over,” Miyabi said from near Airi’s ear. Despite the girl’s words, she wasn’t ready to let go of her yet. “There are a few walking away from the main group, and… the others.”

“Did you give them the impression of our location?” Mari asked. Miyabi nodded.

The varied Skull members and friends waited through an uncomfortable silence as the wind blew softly through the trees around them. Airi had finally let go of Miyabi since it would probably be best that she not be seen hugging one of the primary tormenters of so many of these students that might soon show up. She honestly wondered why any of them would show up with the history most of the girls around her have had with the vast majority of the students at Seishin. It wasn’t long though before her thoughts were answered.

Figures became visible along the path through the trees leading to the cave, and eventually they were able to pick out who had come. Airi felt her body sag with relief as she saw the four Nakazawa girls from the night before leading the way, but there weren’t many more accompanying them.

One more girl walked with the front four that Airi didn’t recognize, but thought was also from Nakazawa. Following close behind them were three other girls that were mid-year students, of a similar class as Miyabi, and trailing anxiously a ways behind those were two smaller girls that must be first years. Airi didn’t recognize them at first, but then…

“Mai-chan!” she shouted, suddenly releasing Miyabi’s hand and running toward the newcomers. The front group paused to watch her cautiously as she approached them, but she just ran past them to stop in front of the Matsuura first-year. “I’m glad to see you’ve come!” She looked to the girl’s side. “You too, Asu-chan. I’m sure Chisa will be thrilled to see you!” The young girl brightened at her sister’s name and looked past Airi. Upon noticing the grinning Chisato, she ran forward to hug her tightly.

Airi looked around back down the path, but it was quiet. “…Mitssi didn’t come with you?” she asked stoically.

“No,” Mai answered in a high and almost squeaky voice. “She said she liked hearing what the Circle had to say, and that they were the Circle, so we should do what they say we should. She tried to convince me not to leave, but I got your message and trust you more than Takahashi-san and…” she hesitated slightly, avoiding Airi’s eyes. “Yajima-san…”

Airi felt her insides turn to mush just a little bit. Was this what it was going to be like now? Friend against friend? Looking back into her young friend’s uncomfortable eyes, she realized they likely didn’t have the faintest clue of what was going on. Actually, did she even have any idea what was really going on?

The Skulls all chatted with the new arrivals, and Miyabi grudgingly apologized to Lin Lin and Michishige for beating them up in the past.

“You had better set things right with Michishige!” Airi had told her. “Or I’m going to kiss her right in front of you!”

“You wish…” Miyabi grumbled back, but apologized nonetheless, which pleased Airi as she was able to enjoy the sixth-year’s smile away from the jealous gaze of her girlfriend for a short time.

“So the TaYaShi show wasn’t good enough for ya, huh?” Fujimoto asked the awed younger Nakazawas once they seemed to settle in with all of them.

“The what?” Kamei asked, a wide-eyed blank look on her face.

“Takahashi. Yajima. Shimizu,” Fujimoto responded briskly, counting the names off.

“Oh…” the girl responded.

“They talk big for such small girls…” Li Chun commented, frowning. Kamei nodded vigorously in agreement. Michishige tossed her hair, almost causing Airi to let out a hopeless sigh. “Why do they want to take over the world? I think China would have something to say about that.”

“China doesn’t have their power…” Fujimoto stated wryly. “The only ones that do are these three here.” She flourished an arm vaguely in the direction of Airi and Miyabi, although Reina was nowhere near them.

“Who?” Lin Lin asked in high clipped tones. “Those two little girls? And…”

Airi was about to angrily express how little she wasn’t, and apparently Miyabi had the same idea, niceness and apologies be damned, but Reina trumped them. “Me,” she stated, sauntering over in their direction.

“Who are you?” Lin Lin asked, curious.

Reina bristled at the snub, but before she could retort Mari hurried over to them. “Now now girls, we don’t want to alienate our newcomers right away, do we?” She beamed at the five Nakazawas, as well as the others who had come. Mai was still near Airi, and the Okai sisters were together too along with Risako. The others had been hanging out with Reina, who was grudgingly trying to be friendly to them, even though they weren’t Skulls and thus from her perspective rather unworthy of her attention. Looking at Mari’s smile, Airi tilted her head slightly. It beamed brightly most definitely, but for some reason she thought it was most definitely sexy too. Then she blushed at the thought, shuffling closer to Miyabi and snaking an arm around her waist.

“So what do we do now, boss?” Reina asked, leaning back against a tree and popping another stick of gum into her mouth.

“Now…” Mari said. “You must find a way to bring down this shield around the school so I can leave and go back home, among other things.” Airi stared at her. They seemed to be in a fight for their lives, and the girl wanted to go home?!

Apparently she caught others’ attention with that remark too, because Airi heard from beside her, “Go home? What are you talking about? You have to stay here and help us!” Airi could feel Miyabi’s arm tighten around her own waist as she spoke, apparently frustrated. She began lightly massaging the older girl’s side. Despite her cool appearance, she knew she had quite a passionate girlfriend.

“How do you propose I help you?” Mari asked. “I can’t do the things you can do. I also don’t know anyone at this school, except for the Headmaster whom I would very much like to look up before I leave. I would be completely useless.”

“But…” Chisato said, looking worried herself. “You have so many things to teach us…”

“That I may,” Mari responded, nodding. “But I only have a few more such tidbits to impart. I assure you I would just be deadwood floating in your rushing stream. Plus, if any of those three girls were to figure out who I was, we would all be in much danger. It’s best for me to be as far away from here as possible, at least at this time.”

“That goes for me too,” Fujimoto said, giving a nod that brooked no nonsense. Then she glared around at everyone as if daring them to challenge her. “I told you before, I’d be stupid to get involved in this.” Chisato couldn’t stop a loud sigh from escaping her throat. Fujimoto pointed at her and Risako. “You’re the ones that got yourselves involved.” Her finger settled on Risako, who drew back as if it was centimeters from her nose. “And by the way, are you a Skull yet or what?”

Risako mouthed words in response that never came, and Miyabi spoke up again. “So who’s gonna lead us against this… army?” She almost spat the last word, but Airi could tell that despite her inflection, the girl really was worried.

“I swear, do Skulls these days actually have any brains?” Fujimoto responded, rolling her eyes up to the dark sky. “You three, of course!”

Airi and Miyabi exchanged looks, and then glanced over at Reina, who was studying the ground in front of her toe intently. “So that means me, huh?” Reina said lightly.

Regretfully, Airi felt Miyabi’s arm pull away from her waist as the Goto girl walked toward the current Captain of the Skulls. “No,” Miyabi said firmly, stopping less than a meter away and causing Reina’s eyes to slowly travel up her body. Airi didn’t like how familiar the girl seemed… “You don’t have to do this alone.”

She stepped closer and spoke in a lower voice, leaning down slightly to meet Reina’s eyes straight-on. “Whatever bad blood might have gone on between us, this is much bigger than any stupid thing we could come up with. You don’t have to take it as an insult to your honor. You can’t do this alone.”

Before Airi knew it, she felt herself walking toward the two girls also. When she arrived at them, Miyabi turned to her with a frown as if she was interrupting. Reina only casually adjusted her gaze. “I’m with you too…” Airi felt herself say. “I’ll do my best to lead with you.”

Suddenly she realized that the two sets of eyes that regarded her were grateful. Grateful! To her! These accomplished girls… Then she also realized… although they might be together, for some reason they expected her to lead. The thought of that impossible idea made her mind numb.

“How old is this girl again?” Li Chun asked while leaning toward her Chinese companion.

“I pray old enough…” Mari responded, and Airi’s ears went completely red.

Offline maiZe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »
A new chapter!!! *squee*  :luvluv1:

It's getting so exciting!

The chapter intro was great!
“Good morning,” Miyabi mumbled as she sat up next to her. This Skull was obviously not a morning person as her long hair was disheveled and her eyes looked like they could close again at any moment. Her clothes were badly wrinkled too. Airi wondered how she could have managed that while just stuffed into a small sleeping bag along with her the whole night long.

“Whatever,” Miyabi said, “I don’t know if I could handle this every morning…” She rose awkwardly to her feet to wander off in the direction of a washroom. Airi giggled at the fresh thing she’d just learned about her new girlfriend.
Airi and Miya have such cute interactions.  :nya:

I like that Chisato's adjusting to Miya and Airi together. I wish the same could be said about Risako. Although, it doesn't seem like Risako's only worried about her role as Airi's friend and being pushed to the background as Airi starts this new relationship with Miya, like Chisato was. Hmm...

The girl didn’t move for a moment before suddenly blinking as if snapping out of some kind of trance, and glanced down at Airi with a haunted look in her eyes. “It’s horrible…” she whispered hoarsely. “Those poor girls… the ones we couldn’t get to but don’t join them… They try to run away…”

Without words, Airi leaned close to the older girl and hugged her tightly, resting her cheek on her shoulder. After a moment Miyabi managed to hug her back. What was the girl seeing? What happened to those who tried to run away?
I'm wondering the same thing. The Circle couldn't have done anything violent during the assembly, could they? You'd think that'd terrify even the girls who'd want to join them. And if they did do something to the girls who didn't want to join, how in the world did Eri and the others get out of the assembly?

“You had better set things right with Michishige!” Airi had told her. “Or I’m going to kiss her right in front of you!”

“You wish…” Miyabi grumbled back, but apologized nonetheless,
:lol: That's right Airi! You tell her!

Her finger settled on Risako, who drew back as if it was centimeters from her nose. “And by the way, are you a Skull yet or what?”

Risako mouthed words in response that never came,
Oh Risako... You must start speaking to the Skulls to become a Skull.  :on lol: No formal audition, but I guess the fact that she didn't run for her life as all the things went on in the past few chapters speaks for itself.

Miyabi spoke up again. “So who’s gonna lead us against this… army?” She almost spat the last word, but Airi could tell that despite her inflection, the girl really was worried.

“I swear, do Skulls these days actually have any brains?” Fujimoto responded, rolling her eyes up to the dark sky. “You three, of course!”

Airi and Miyabi exchanged looks, and then glanced over at Reina, who was studying the ground in front of her toe intently. “So that means me, huh?” Reina said lightly.

Regretfully, Airi felt Miyabi’s arm pull away from her waist as the Goto girl walked toward the current Captain of the Skulls. “No,” Miyabi said firmly, stopping less than a meter away and causing Reina’s eyes to slowly travel up her body. Airi didn’t like how familiar the girl seemed… “You don’t have to do this alone.”

She stepped closer and spoke in a lower voice, leaning down slightly to meet Reina’s eyes straight-on. “Whatever bad blood might have gone on between us, this is much bigger than any stupid thing we could come up with. You don’t have to take it as an insult to your honor. You can’t do this alone.”

Before Airi knew it, she felt herself walking toward the two girls also. When she arrived at them, Miyabi turned to her with a frown as if she was interrupting. Reina only casually adjusted her gaze. “I’m with you too…” Airi felt herself say. “I’ll do my best to lead with you.”
Aww... Skulls unity. It's so sweet!  :wriggly:

Suddenly she realized that the two sets of eyes that regarded her were grateful. Grateful! To her! These accomplished girls… Then she also realized… although they might be together, for some reason they expected her to lead. The thought of that impossible idea made her mind numb.
Wow... lots of pressure on poor little Airi. :fainted:

“How old is this girl again?” Li Chun asked while leaning toward her Chinese companion.

“I pray old enough…” Mari responded, and Airi’s ears went completely red.
Poor girl... all this pressure on her shoulders, and she's only a 2nd year. Well, this may work to her advantage. She could be underestimated due to her age (but after what she's done first-hand to the Circle already, I doubt that... I don't think a surprise attack will be coming from Airi. An attack? Yes. An impressive, powerful attack? Most likely. But surprising? I'm not too sure).

I find it fitting to make my first post with my new sig in this fic, which stars two of Buono!'s members. :D Miya & Airi FTW!!

Offline Grisours

• Koi no Mega Lover
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • =3
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »
New chapter! I get so happy with updates!  :muffin:
I love the Airi/Miya relationship, since they're still learning things about each other. But Risako always gets me wondering, she was acting really weird in this last chapter. I think she doesn't like Miya and Airi being together, but I dunno why though...
The whole Circle situation is getting out of control! The way they showed their powers to the students was kinda cruel, the girls must have been scared. I would be, lol. And they lied about the Headmaster, that's baaaad.
Well, keep it up with the good job, the story's only getting more interesting!  :grin:

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 10:11:19 PM »
Yeeeeeaa new chapter  :w00t:

Airi/Miya is cute, their actions remind me of things a new married couple and old(not like elderely)married couple would do

Airi felt her insides turn to mush just a little bit. Was this what it was going to be like now? Friend against friend?

That was my favorite line in that chapter.  I really love the relationships were ppl start out as friends and then turn out to be enemies, foes, so it's really gonna be great seeing Maimi and Airi in these positions

*gasp* you mentioned Asuna Okai!  :wub: second egg spotted in this story, lol

About Risako, I don't know what her actual problem is, does she like Miyabi, does she like Airi, or she just doesn't like them together  :? maybe she just needs someone to charm her.. Kusumi

hmm, Ai seems like she's finally slipping into the 'dark' side. I thought she was gonna be the good one, but it's never too late.  ^-^

TaYaShi<--------  lol, I liked that

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2008, 12:35:19 AM »
“Wake up, you two,” Reina announced, stepping on Miyabi and Airi and making them wake to the pain. “And put some clothes on. Nobody wants to know what you got up to overnight.”

Coming to consciousness enough to realize what Reina was saying, Airi blushed furiously and suddenly felt very aware of Miyabi’s warm body lying next to her own. What did the girl have in her head?
Reina the perv. :lol:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. :D

“It feels weird not going to this assembly…” Chisato said quietly, giving the three eldest girls furtive looks. “I know I’ve joined the Skulls and now I’m really supposed to be a rebel and all, but missing a school assembly… this is serious.”

“I know I’m not crazy about willingly putting myself in a situation where Takahashi and the others have any control,” Airi said sagely, studying her friend.
Airi's got the right idea. While under normal circumstances they probably should be going, considering what's recently happened it's best for them to lay low and not expose themselves to scenarios where the Circle members could get at them.

“Does my being with Miyabi make you uncomfortable, Chisa?” she asked earnestly, catching the girl’s attention quickly again. She apparently had assumed Airi wasn’t paying attention to her.

“No,” she responded. “Of course not. I’m glad to see you seem to be happy.”

By the girl’s short and terse sentences Airi knew that she was lying through her teeth. She scooted closer to her friend and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, very conscious of Miyabi’s eyes following her watchfully.

“You know you’re still my best friend, right?” she told Chisato encouragingly.
It's understandable that Chisato would be worried about something like this potentially happening.  Up until now it had been the 2 of them, best mates. Now with Miyabi in the picture, she's scared that she'll be losing her best friend.

“No one’s gonna change that, especially not Miss Miyabi Natsuyaki. I may do things with her and sleep with her and maybe even kiss her…” she said, a slight flush coming to her cheeks at her words. “But she definitely doesn’t take your place. I mean, you don’t want me to start kissing you, do you?” She ended with a giggle at the ridiculous notion.
I'd laugh if Chisato was jealous. :lol:

Since finding out she and Miyabi were together, Risako had nearly avoided her like the plague. She couldn’t figure out why, but the girl always managed to elude her if she tried approaching her. There was always someone else to go off and talk to, or else some other place to be.
Really now? Now this WOULD seem like a case of jealousy. Question is though, if this is the case, who's Socko jealous of?

Would anything be normal again? No classes… Classes were never cancelled at Seishin. She wondered what could have caused it, and if the Headmaster would have anything to say about it.
If/When the student body finds out that the Headmaster is dead, how will they react when the find out that he's dead, and more importantly, that it was the Circle who killed him?

“So what do you think is going on outside?” Miyabi drawled lazily, which Airi thought was an obvious attempt at trying not to notice Airi’s proximity to Chisato. It wasn’t her fault the older girl didn’t know their relationship, and it was something she was just going to have to learn.
We have to remember that this is all pretty new for Miyabi as well. Sure she's dated, but this is probably the first time she's really, really liked someone.  Whether she likes it or not though, she still has to remember that Airi still has other friends that she interacts with, and the way that she does that is just something that Miyabi will need to learn to cope with.

“What I think…” Miyabi said, reaching a twitchy hand over to Airi’s wrist to pull her with surprising strength away from Chisato and into her lap. Airi blushed furiously, and she thought she heard Chisato scooting away a little too. “Is that we need to stay together and work on something. Mako is here to help us out with things like this after all.”
Mako? As in, Ogawa Makoto? She's here too??? :?

Airi, trying to suppress the blush, pulled back to stare at her. “Who?”

“You know,” Miyabi replied, looking at her as if she was stupid. “Short girl. Dresses well.” She pointed. “Standing over there talking to Reina?”

“Mari?” Airi asked, becoming amused.

“Whatever,” Miyabi responded dismissively. Airi giggled.
Oops.   :mon lol:

“Did you ever wonder why the Skulls audition is such an ordeal?”

“Secret societies don’t usually send you to a deep cave to perform an act where you are literally risking your life,” Mari responded with a twist to the corner of her mouth. “They’re designed that way because the Skulls want only the strong… Those physically strong, as well as emotionally and morally. The reason behind it… was to gather them into a tight group under the watchful eye of someone like me so we could control the hands of fate.”
So in this case, it wasn't just all talk. They really were looking for the best of the best when it came to new members.

“My ancestors knew of the prophecy that the Three would rise again. We knew that their rise would have an immediate and potentially far-reaching impact on the world when it happened. We hoped that, as divine fate tends to unfold, others would rise and be able to quell the witches’ fires. We hoped for the True Blood… and we did our best to ensure they would be Skulls.” Now she beamed around at Reina, Airi and Miyabi. “Thankfully, they are.”
So we WERE right in assuming that the purpose of The Skulls was to be a counterpoint to The Circle.  To hide their true intentions, they took on the "rebellious group" persona so that The Circle would only see them as that.

“But what are these True Blood?” Miyabi asked.

Mari smiled down at her. “That I can’t tell you. It’s something you must find out in the struggle ahead of you.”

“To make it clear, you’re only talking about a few of us, right?” Chisato asked, drawing the eyes of those in the room yet not flinching. She stared straight over at Airi and Miyabi. “I mean, I’m not anything special. And we’ve seen what kinds of things… some of us can do.”

“That would be me, Miyakko and Suzuki then, right? Just like you said last night.” Reina said, gazing stoically at the three seated girls. “Not that we really have any idea what we can do yet.”
The "True Blood" are the ones who have the special abilities. It could be that they're direct descendants of those who originally defeated the first Circle long ago.

“So you want us to try and help you take over the world?” asked a wide-eyed Eri Kamei, standing near the front of the assembly next to a few of the other older Nakazawa girls, acting as if she was positively terrified at the thought.

“Yes!” Ai responded brightly, scanning the crowd in front of her. Most of the other girls of Seishin were staring at her with similar expressions, whether widened eyes or slackened jaws. Some even had both.
As shocking as this is, The Circle still exerts enough power/influence over them all that a lot of them will probably agree to it, thinking that Aichan, Captain, and Maimi will protect them all the way.

“What about the Headmaster?” came another voice from the assembled students. This time it was from the Matsuura section, and Ai felt Maimi tense up beside her. Umeda she thought the girl’s name was.

Before Maimi could say anything through the heat rising to her face though, Saki stepped up and responded quietly, “The Headmaster has gone out to the rest of Japan already to spread word about our intentions. He will be on that mission for a long time, so it’s up to us to lead the coup from the school.”
Oooooooooooooh that's slick. By saying that the Headmaster is simply away they've made it so the others won't try to contact him or get suspicious as to why he's not around.

“…What’s a coup?” asked another Matsuura girl, one of the younger ones this time. She didn’t know who it was, but the girl was short and had a round face and cute dimples up all the way past her nose.
Maimai?  :oops:

“It’s what it’s called when the rightful leaders rise up and take control of a government,” Maimi said, giving Saki a mild glare at the interruption when she had plainly planned to respond to the Umeda girl. Ai didn’t really know what was going on there, but she thought she’d seen the two together shortly before the assembly started.
Maimi and Captain had probably assumed certain questions would be asked, and as such, planned responses for them.  It was somewhat odd though, to see Captain respond to it, considering she's been the quiet one of the 3 Circle members.

“The best thing we feel we can offer though…” She raised her arms in front of her. “…is protection.”

“We have unimaginable power,” Maimi said proudly from beside Ai, puffing her chest out. “A small portion of which we have just displayed for you.” She scanned the audience as if trying to hold the gazes of each girl within it. “Yes, gods do exist, and it’s time for Japan – and eventually the world – to return to the enlightened rule of the divine.”
They call it protection, but at the same time they're showing the student body what they'll have to face if they don't agree to help them. 

You’re going to be leaders, remember? You’re the ones people will be bowing to. Many schools say it, but this is where it’s true as toasted tako.” She received some odd looks at her expression, and sighed. Well, at least they were able to understand her accent now… It had not been so easy when she first came to Seishin. “Come to Seishin Joshi Gakuin… and you will leave to lead.

All three Circle members, even including Saki, began to exhibit broad smiles as similar ones started to appear one after the other on the faces of those arrayed before them.
Undoubtedly, the allure of power is something that they counted on appealing to the others.  The students at this school already have a sense of superiority because of the school's reputation as being one of the best in the world.  The Circle counted on this sense of self-confidence from the students.

A subdued group of eight girls marched out of a deserted House Nakazawa, most unable to avoid glances over toward the amphitheatre where the assembly would still be going on.

They walked through the woods a good way until they reached a large hill, at the bottom of which stood the gaping maw of a cave that was all too familiar to Airi.
Taking shelter I take it? It's a smart move, particularly if none of the Circle members know about this cave.  Staying on campus wouldn't allow them the time to plan out what they want to do, as there's only so many places there that they can hide.

“What do you think?” Fujimoto asked Miyabi, whose hand Airi still would not release.

“There have been a lot of different emotions…” Miyabi said. At the moment she was one of those staring off into the distance, but unlike the others, Airi thought she was able to see something more than just endless trees. “There was incredulity, fear, anger… but now more than anything, excitement.”

“Anything else?” Mari asked, stepping up next to Fujimoto, who couldn’t hide her amazement at what Miyabi could apparently discern. Mari herself however seemed completely unfazed. As ridiculous as her story was, especially considering the events of the last few days, Airi actually found herself believing it more and more.

“The Chinese girls aren’t impressed,” Miyabi stated flatly.
Damn...even from this far away, Miyabi can telepathically sense what they're feeling in the assembly? :o

“It’s horrible…” she whispered hoarsely. “Those poor girls… the ones we couldn’t get to but don’t join them… They try to run away…”

Well, for the Circle, they would see anyone who didn't side with them was a potential roadblock/enemy to their goals, meaning that they would have to be...dealt with. Anyone trying to get away from them would have to do it very carefully to avoid getting noticed/caught.

“What are we supposed to do though?” Koharu asked. The girl had stayed quiet through most of their proceedings, but seemed quite adamant at the moment. “Kill them?”

Mari remained silent.
It could very well come to that. The only other option is letting them win and take over the world.

“Did you give them the impression of our location?” Mari asked. Miyabi nodded.
Who exactly are they referring to here? The one's who are trying to get away from The Circle or the ones that are going to follow them?  If it's the latter, then are they leading them into a trap?

Figures became visible along the path through the trees leading to the cave, and eventually they were able to pick out who had come. Airi felt her body sag with relief as she saw the four Nakazawa girls from the night before leading the way, but there weren’t many more accompanying them.

“Mai-chan!” she shouted, suddenly releasing Miyabi’s hand and running toward the newcomers. The front group paused to watch her cautiously as she approached them, but she just ran past them to stop in front of the Matsuura first-year. “I’m glad to see you’ve come!” She looked to the girl’s side. “You too, Asu-chan. I’m sure Chisa will be thrilled to see you!” The young girl brightened at her sister’s name and looked past Airi. Upon noticing the grinning Chisato, she ran forward to hug her tightly.
Ah, looks like it was the one's who were trying to get away. :)

Airi looked around back down the path, but it was quiet. “…Mitssi didn’t come with you?” she asked stoically.

“No,” Mai answered in a high and almost squeaky voice. “She said she liked hearing what the Circle had to say, and that they were the Circle, so we should do what they say we should. She tried to convince me not to leave, but I got your message and trust you more than Takahashi-san and…” she hesitated slightly, avoiding Airi’s eyes. “Yajima-san…”
Oh hell...Aika...:cry:

Was this what it was going to be like now? Friend against friend? Looking back into her young friend’s uncomfortable eyes, she realized they likely didn’t have the faintest clue of what was going on.
Unfortunately, in something as big as this, and considering how The Circle is manipulating the student body, it will likely end up being this way.

The Skulls all chatted with the new arrivals, and Miyabi grudgingly apologized to Lin Lin and Michishige for beating them up in the past.

“You wish…”
Miyabi grumbled back, but apologized nonetheless, which pleased Airi as she was able to enjoy the sixth-year’s smile away from the jealous gaze of her girlfriend for a short time.
:mon sweat:

Wait a sec...where's Junjun??? :OMG:

“They talk big for such small girls…” Li Chun commented, frowning.
JUNJUN!!! :wriggly:

“China doesn’t have their power…” Fujimoto stated wryly. “The only ones that do are these three here.” She flourished an arm vaguely in the direction of Airi and Miyabi, although Reina was nowhere near them.

“Who?” Lin Lin asked in high clipped tones. “Those two little girls? And…”

Airi was about to angrily express how little she wasn’t, and apparently Miyabi had the same idea, niceness and apologies be damned, but Reina trumped them. “Me,” she stated, sauntering over in their direction.

“Who are you?” Lin Lin asked, curious.
Well, guess Reina's not as well known on campus as she thought. Then again, she probably would be if she showed up for class once in a while. :on lol:

“So what do we do now, boss?” Reina asked, leaning back against a tree and popping another stick of gum into her mouth.

“Now…” Mari said. “You must find a way to bring down this shield around the school so I can leave and go back home, among other things.” Airi stared at her. They seemed to be in a fight for their lives, and the girl wanted to go home?!

“How do you propose I help you?” Mari asked. “I can’t do the things you can do. I also don’t know anyone at this school, except for the Headmaster whom I would very much like to look up before I leave. I would be completely useless.”

“But…” Chisato said, looking worried herself. “You have so many things to teach us…”
Having the knowledge of what needed to be done was one thing. It's another thing completely to be willing/able to actually DO something with it.  Mari is just the mentor here, for some reason she is unable to actually get involved.  And she's right, this isn't her school, the people involved aren't her peers. For the battle to be won, it needs to be done by people who know the people that they're up against. Even with the whole special powers thing, the girls still know the rest of the student body better than Mari does.

“So who’s gonna lead us against this… army?” She almost spat the last word, but Airi could tell that despite her inflection, the girl really was worried.

It's not like there's much of a choice, when you think about it. The Circle will undoubtedly be leading their side. It's a big burden to bear, but it's one that needs to be done.

Offline anonymousdowner

• Journey ∞
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Atsumina ♥ Wmatsui ♥ MariHaru( *`ω’)人(бвб)
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:57 AM »
The risako thing is bothering me..she likes miyabi or something huh  :oops: though i like airi and miyabi i still have the biggest thing for miyabi and risako lol anyway thanks for the update!  :D

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Art-School - Skirt