JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Matsu Takako - Hana no Youni

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 337943 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2005, 09:55:49 AM »
Yeah. His windup and sizzling fastball was like mad unorthodox back then. At least he beat the Yanks this year  :D

Speaking of them, Al Leiter is still alive?? And he beat the Red Sox!?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2005, 12:21:22 PM »
Quote from: daigong
Al Leiter is still alive?? And he beat the Red Sox!?

Helluva story, no?

I actually saw him pitch a shutout in Oakland in the late 80s.  He was probably in his second year in the majors, pitching for the Yankees in the Don Mattingly era (i.e. non-winning).  If he can even win a half-dozen games for the Yankees, that would be a good thing for the Bombers.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2005, 05:05:12 PM »
Sorry, this is totally off-topic, but I'm just stalking Saburo.

You're a sumo fan? I saw you post at Sumoforum.net.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2005, 06:37:05 PM »
Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour said Rogers faces a charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW cameraman Larry Rodriguez. She also said police will mail an assault citation to Rogers' attorney for shoving FOX Sports Net Southwest cameraman David Mammeli.

The assault charge involving Rodriguez is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000. The other charge is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Neither the Rangers nor Rogers' attorney returned telephone calls seeking comment.

Gilfour said FOX Sports — which owns the camera Rogers damaged in shoving Rodriguez — has declined to press criminal charges.

Rogers is free on $1,500 bond. He's appealing a 20-game suspension and $50,000 fine for shoving the cameramen June 29.

Rogers lashed out at the cameramen as they filmed him walking to the field for pregame stretching. The episode led to Rodriguez being treated at a hospital after the camera was ripped from his hands and thrown to the ground.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2005, 09:36:40 AM »
Quote from: tama-chan
You're a sumo fan? I saw you post at Sumoforum.net.

Yep, I'm a fan.  (PM sent.)

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2005, 08:46:52 AM »
How about the Yanks and Red Sox back at 1-2 atop the AL East? Who'd thunk?

Lotsa good trade rumors, I was pulling for the Marlins do some damage but they look to unload A.J. Burnett.

Quote from: THUNDERDUCK
Rogers lashed out at the cameramen as they filmed him walking to the field for pregame stretching. The episode led to Rodriguez being treated at a hospital after the camera was ripped from his hands and thrown to the ground.

haha. I watched it on Jim Rome is Burning and it wasn't THAT serious. He was just staring em down but it won't help his case.

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2005, 04:59:22 PM »
Rogers has issues.

Texas beat Yankees yesterday!  :w00t:

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2005, 01:15:43 AM »
Quote from: Thimas X
Rogers has issues.

You're only discovering this now?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2005, 02:09:40 AM »
Didja see him being booked for the assault?  Some cameraman was there for posterity and Mister Rogers was glaring at him, like he was gonna attack him too.  "You're getting really close," he said.

You'd think it would be easy to just IGNORE the cameramen -- obviously, some people don't know this...

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2005, 05:40:02 AM »
:x  :x  :x  :x  :x RANGERS LOSE AGAIN....this is getting frustrating....
---
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=csb11007230255.brewers_reds_csb110&prov=ap
beautiful yes?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Rangers: time for a change?
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2005, 08:15:47 PM »
I don't follow the Rangers much but it's weird that there isn't much chatter about Buck Showalter getting canned as skipper: both him AND pitching coach Orel Hershiser.

I read something about former Ranger Ryan Drese being dumped by Texas and being picked up by the Washington Nationals.  He improved right away because the Washington pitching coach saw that he was tipping his pitches.  Hershiser got credit for Drese's improvement last year so why doesn't he get slammed for not noticing something elementary as arm angles?

It's also been inferred that Drese was in Showalter's doghouse but I don't really know if this was a factor into his being released.  It's just an unfortunate series of events for a team that always seemed to be in the postseason in the late 90s.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »
I'm just kinda stunned at how Oakland and Houston have comeback from like 10+ games under 500 to being back into Wildcard contention.

The AL East is so shitty that the Red Sox and Yanks are battling it out despite slumps! and the O's in the mix - but fuck, ain't as bad as the NL West. Levin coulda helped the O's ... when is the trade deadline anyways.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2005, 12:39:55 AM »
I just read on a Japanese sports website (Nikkan) that Hideo Nomo was claimed off waivers by the NY Yankees.  First Leiter and now the Tornado.

They must REALLY be hardup for pitching, being as all their free agent signees are on the DL and there aren't any fresh arms in the farm system.

Imagine: what if Atlanta grabbed him?  Imagine what Leo Mazzone could do?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »
The San Diego Padres currently lead the N.L. Western division with a record BELOW .500.  What a disgrace...

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2005, 06:39:22 AM »
ROFL. And the Yanks got some other chump off waivers and played him instantly Friday.

Trade deadline is finally on Sunday 4 PM EST. Ya think ManRam is gonna get traded? He got benched tonite. He'd look great on the Mets even though they're going nowhere but I doubt he's moving.

What was that other trade? Phil Levin to Texas? For Chan Ho Park? Why the fuck would he accept Texas over Baltimore? Ah well, enjoy that Rangers fan.

Red Sox Got Jose Cruz Jr. for chumps.

ICHIRO BLASTS TWO HOMERS!! Damn, I gotta check out the hilites.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250730112&name=FPT-2120611-073124&srvc=sz

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »
Quote from: daigong
ROFL. And the Yanks got some other chump off waivers and played him instantly Friday.

Trade deadline is finally on Sunday 4 PM EST. Ya think ManRam is gonna get traded? He got benched tonite. He'd look great on the Mets even though they're going nowhere but I doubt he's moving.

What was that other trade? Phil Levin to Texas? For Chan Ho Park? Why the fuck would he accept Texas over Baltimore? Ah well, enjoy that Rangers fan.

Red Sox Got Jose Cruz Jr. for chumps.

ICHIRO BLASTS TWO HOMERS!! Damn, I gotta check out the hilites.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250730112&name=FPT-2120611-073124&srvc=sz

I'm kinda sad bout Chan Ho Park; he was a pretty good pitcher. I've never heard of this Levin guy till today...so.....

GO ICHIRO

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2005, 10:05:55 PM »
Watching the Hall of Fame induction ceremony now, Boggs and Sandberg.

Ryno sure is sounding old-fashioned, like Cal Ripken or Bob Gibson or someone.  I'm sorry I missed Peter Gammons's speech; hope to catch it on a replay.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2005, 01:45:24 AM »
The Rangers traded Chan Ho Park.

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2005, 02:08:32 AM »
Quote from: THUNDERDUCK
The Rangers traded Chan Ho Park.
Are you sad?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Boooo!
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2005, 03:46:44 AM »
Watched Sammy Sosa's first two at-bats on Sunday Night Baseball (Chicago at Baltimore) and he looked AWFUL!

I thought this trade would be a good one for Slammin' Sammy but...  my gawds, his decline has been so steep and dramatic.  He may never get to 600  homers.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Matsu Takako - Hana no Youni