JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls` Generation - Lost In Love

Author Topic: Competitiveness, rivalry in H!P  (Read 10393 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Competitiveness, rivalry in H!P
« on: August 14, 2005, 01:12:38 PM »
Watching the subbed Asayan shuffle episodes inspired this topic.

I think the old Asayan episodes make it obvious that there was huge rivalry in H!P back in the days when H!P was less than 20 members. :lol: But I'm not sure if there's been such rivalry to be seen recently. At least the girls don't seem as serious when they mention it. So has H!P changed so that there's less rivalry within it or is it still there rivalry, but it's just more difficult to spot?

If there's less rivalry, why is it that way? When did it change?

At least the shuffle groups don't sell individual singles anymore, so that takes a bit of rivalry out of it. But do the girls still compete of lead lines in group songs? Does eg. Konno do her very best in the booth every time when recording a song, hoping she'd get the spotlight?

And, finally, which members do you think worry about rivalry the most? (It's not like we know so feel free to say anyone, though some kinda explanation would be great.) How about in general - Is it the kids? Is it Momusu? Is it Country Musume :lol: ? How about soloists. Do they think "damn, I gotta sell more than that unit or else!!"?

Hahhahahah sometimes I ask too many questions.

But hey, please discuss.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:08:20 AM by shirenu »
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Loki!

• Miki's Nonexistent Bitch
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 01:58:17 PM »
I think less rivalry came when Maki arrived. :D /maki-ism

Nahh... I think that as the years passed and as the members got to know each other better, their rivalry / selfishness was toned down a bit. I think it started at about... year 2000 or so? Can't remember.

The group shuffle lead lines on the other hand... I think that they either decide on who gets the lines or someone with more authority tell them which lines they get.

Konno... I don't exactly know, but she HAS improved a LOT since her first day, so maybe. :D

Rivalry... nah... I can't think of one as of yet. Maybe Rika and Miki though rofl.

But I wish Maki'd get better songs to sing and blast her career up... DAMN IT TSUNKU!  :cry:

Too hot...

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 03:22:15 PM »
Yeah. I think rivalry exists between soloists who are competing to establish the pecking order.

But since the pecking order seems to be established as Ayaya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nacchi and Maki>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else, I don't think there's a lot of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if "B" acts (Viyuden, Country Musume, Melon Kinebi, Coconuts Musume, W) saw each other as rivals though.

I really don't think MM could function as well as it does if the members were at each others throats.

I think Sayu worries about rivals since she seems to have the sort of personality that worries about being in the spotlight and getting attention. Miki because she's had popularity issues and already got her butt handed to her by Ayaya when they were both soloists. Konno just because she worries about things.

I don't think the really established ones (Rika, Yossi) with defined roles and legions of fans are worried much at all.

Offline Hithnare

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 03:54:22 PM »
I don't lnow if it's jsut me but dont U feel like Erica rivalizes with Rika for the main spot? It very visable when you comapare Erica to Yui - when Yui is just a silet folower, Erica tryes to force her own grove  :lol:  But thats just cute... I first thought about it waching Ajisa Making of... I don't know much japanise, so thats just an impresion I had. ;)

I agree with Asmodai on Sayu

peace!

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:39:42 PM »
Let's just hope that any "rivalry" between anyone in H!P is not of the negative sort.  When you have a negative rivalry, it would be something along the lines of what apparently has gone on between Hamasaki Ayumi and Amuro Namie or between Eminem and Moby, where both sides speak badly of one another.

On the other hand, one can have a friendly rivalry, where both sides/all sides encourage and push each other to perform better and to improve themselves. If there's any type of rivalry, I'm personally hoping it's the latter.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 10:29:03 PM »
Lately I've noticed Berryz Kobo has rivalry. :o Berryz members are the only members in H!P I've recently seen get seriously upset after losing a battle. They actually cry and the disappointment on their faces is obvious. It's... Exciting!!

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:01:20 AM »
To a certain extend rivalry does exist with members of group and soloists, but you know often having rivalry is the way to push them up into the next level.

Think about if there's no rivalry and all the members in H!P just maintain the same way they were first joined, then we will get bored of them and won't like H!P anymore!
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Princess Pudding

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 02:19:12 AM »
Just looking at the 50 questions/50 answers thing and the rival question, 28 of the girls said their selves were their rivals or a family member/classmate. They were mostly the older girls. These are the ones who "had" rivals. * mean they were kinda questioning if they had one.

Umeda Erika (Aa!)
Shimizu Saki (Aa!)
Chinami (Everyone)
Murakami Megumi (Shimizu)
Miyabi (Everyone)
Nakajima Saki (Rika)
Maimai (HPK)
Chisato ("You're my rival!")
Miuna (Her sempai)
Masae (Looking for one)*
Maeda (Everyone, but wants to be her own rival)*
Reina (Goto)
Kamei (Everyone)
Risa (5th gen.)*
Konno (A secret)
Takahashi (Ayaya)
Tsuji (Ayaya)

I LOVE Miki's response b/c she said there isn't anyone worthy to be her rival  :lol:

Just looking at that, it'd be neat to have C-ute VS Berryz releasing b/c they seem to feel a rivalry b/c they're so young.

Offline Keiti

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:51:22 AM »
I know very well but I think When the price is Meat reina is the most competitive   :P  

i think rivalry exits in musume sayu always say she's the most cute
in H!M reina always says zettai makenai
sorry
i can\'t speak english very well

Offline ky_khor

• 高橋隊軍曹
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:20 AM »
5th Gen = peace.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 05:50:11 AM »
Quote from: ky_khor
5th Gen = peace.

is that why they're the ones that took the longest to stand out?  :lol:

Offline Redturtle

• Taro Lover, Strawberry Hater
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 06:38:36 AM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky
5th Gen = peace.

is that why they're the ones who never stood out in MM?  :lol:

Fixed.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 01:06:43 PM »
I don't know if there's any real rivalry in H!P anymore. Maybe if Tsunku wants so = if rivalry means more money flow somehow. I don't count cute "I'll try my best so maybe some day I could be the one who gets the spotlight!" as real ruthless rivalry :)
coot is ctz

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
:lol:
I swear there's some true rivalry in Berryz!!!
At least Chinami >< Momoko. Miyabi hates losing, too. Every time you watch a FC DVD with Berryz having games, someone cries over losing and at least one member looks upset at some point. And in other videos you can see them get upset, too. That's one of the reasons why Berryz is so damn interesting to me :o And I'm glad UFA chooses to show these bits.

...Damnit, when was the last time we even saw a Momusu member cry on HM over losing? -.-" There appears to be zero tension now and it's boring...

Some healthy rivalry is good for you! :D

Offline Zero_

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 07:00:07 AM »
Watching Hello Morning subbed, it seems aparent, and justified that the Miki/Rika rivalry is still on and boiling.

Offline Vikitty

• Member+
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 07:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Redturtle
Quote from: StreakInTheSky
5th Gen = peace.

is that why they're the ones who never stood out in MM?  :lol:

Fixed.

+1!

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 07:59:28 AM »
Quote from: Zero_
Watching Hello Morning subbed, it seems aparent, and justified that the Miki/Rika rivalry is still on and boiling.

It took you subs to realize that? The tension between them is so hot.  :twisted:

Offline Zero_

• Member+
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 01:49:16 PM »
It took you subs to realize that? The tension between them is so hot.

Nope, never been good at reading the subliminal implications when everything is in Japanese. :)

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »
All I have to say is this バーカ

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 10:27:26 PM »
Why is it written in katakana :o Not a Japanese word? :o

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls` Generation - Lost In Love