JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Tomo Yo

Author Topic: General Japanese Traditional Music with Modern Taste Thread  (Read 7001 times)

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
General Japanese Traditional Music with Modern Taste Thread
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
I'm thinking of what is the original music of Japan. Because pop music(probably not only pop music) is from Western. So Japanese pop music also is heavily influenced by Western style. Although I don't think Westerners own pop music, sometimes I'm afraid where is the original of Japan or Eastern.
That's why I was going to set up this thread. It tend to happen that pop music borrows Folkloric music though, there might be some interesting things.
This thread is for Shima Uta, Ryukyuan music, Ainu music, and so on as pop music.

Chitose Hajime is a Shima Uta singer from Amami. This her debut single called Wadatsumi No Ki  is reggae taste pop music..Most japanese know this song.

Nowadays her voice is getting weak, but she stood out as a Shima Uta singer.

Kizuki Minami is the newest Shima Uta singer. She is 20 years old. This song is produced by Miho Hatori(ex.Cibo Matto).Miho Hatori is familiar with Ryukyuan Music.
The vibrato that is the feature of Shima Uta is few in her singing voice.

MV:
Taiyo to Kakurenbo / Minami Kizuki

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: General Japanese Traditional Music with Modern Taste Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Ooh great thread! I'm definitely interested to hear more traditional sounding Japanese music :yep:

This song is produced by Miho Hatori(ex.Cibo Matto).Miho Hatori is familiar with Ryukyuan Music.
Nice song! It actually reminds me of Miho's solo material:

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:40:03 AM »
Nice song! It actually reminds me of Miho's solo material:
Yeah, I remembered this song too. I guess her way is the best way to restructure Ryukyuan music. It hardly find except her though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:44:52 AM by takkutaku9 »

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:16 AM »
These songs are general and typical Ryukyuan taste pop music.

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Urichipangoon makes Minyo taste pop music. There are some diffrent folk taste though, first song sounds like Work song. Second song sounds like Japanese Nursery rhyme. I guess this is modern folk music of Japan.

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »
Gagaku is classic music in Japan. Originally came from mainland, Japanese arranged as usual. Gagaku is Court music, so it sounds elegant or swank. Not like the music was sung by people on the street. I tried to find good sample of gagaku taste pop music, but all I can find was easy way to use it. This is traditional music.

Sakura Sakura also is traditional song in Japan. Played by Koto. These kind of music and Minyo mixed each other. They formed a lot of traditional Japanese music.

Sometimes Japanese musicians use these kind of image of Japan. I don't know why but feel something like Orientalism in it. I like them though.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
How about some tsugaru jamisen music with a modern twist?

Shamisen is such an awesome instrument :yep:

More info about Yoshida Brothers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshida_Brothers

Sakura Sakura also is traditional song in Japan. Played by Koto. These kind of music and Minyo mixed each other. They formed a lot of traditional Japanese music.
Great song! I usually only hear that kind of music in samurai movies.

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izAIHjGCmkc[/noembed]
Sakura Drops is probably my favorite Hikki PV :thumbup

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Gonna add some clips too..

Firstly, my favourite Yoshida Kyodai song..

The tap dance scene at the end of Zatoichi.. (one of the best Japanese movies EVER!!)

And a little off topic..

Chitose nails this song!!  :inlove:

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
I didn't think Yoshida Brothers is my taste, but some songs you tubed sound good to me. It suits this thread well.
Well, this is not good sample compared to Yoshida Brothers. Rin' is something like Japanese version of Twelve Girls Band(Chinese musical group). They're good instrumentalist, but their music is not that good. They disband last year.
With Lisa Loeb. Too bad this song is actually sounds like chinese music.

Chitose nails this song!!  :inlove:
She covered some more English songs on her 1st mini album.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:46:26 PM by takkutaku9 »

Offline takkutaku9

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
Music played by Taiko. Taiko is Japanese drum. These songs are not traditional songs, but first song sounds ilke traditional. Second song sounds like japanese music,occasionally. Something like world music.

Anathallo is an american indie rock band. Despite rock band, they belong to anticon now. They even don't use Taiko, this song sounds like Japanese music. Maybe because of language or how to beat drum. Bands in Japan should learn them.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Tomo Yo