JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chirinuruwowaka - Hanamuke

Author Topic: The Sportswhoring Thread  (Read 56703 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: The Sportswhoring Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 06:14:51 AM »
CLASSIC!!

Didja read Dan Le Batard's bit at The Big Lead?  Possibly the most reasoned look at the whole mess.

Nevertheless, the glee is probably warranted and Mariotti would best take a leave of absence for a good, long time.  The eyewitness account reported at Deadspin was brutal testimony...

Sigh, the Sports Media star now, eh? Like the nerds who wannabe the jocks.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
Holy shmokes, Hawaii smokes Georgia in Little League World Series play, 12-5.  Next: Texas for the American title.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:19 PM »
Watching LLWS final: Hawaii (Waipio) vs. Japan (they said Tokyo but jeez that could be anywhere).  Anyway this Japan team looks tough in the field.  I can only imagine the torture that they endure in practice.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:12 AM »
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (AP)

The Little League team from Japan ended the United States' five-year reign as World Series champions.

The team from Tokyo limited Waipahu, Hawaii, to four singles, and got a homer and three RBIs from Konan Tomori to take the Little League World Series title with a 4-1 victory Sunday.

For the first time since 2003, a team from Japan is flying home with the championship banner.

Hawaii, which had scored 29 runs over its previous three games, came up short at the plate against Tokyo.

Hawaii's only run came on an error off a sacrifice bunt in the fourth, but reliever Ichiro Ogasawara worked out of a second-and-third jam with a strikeout and a weak bouncer.

Ryusuke Ikeda got the win with after striking out five and allowing four hits over three innings, before Ogasawara pitched the final three, striking out three to get his third save.

Japan's players gravitated to the mound after the game to scoop up bags of dirt to take home as mementos, as family members watched proudly from the first-base stands.

After exchanging handshakes at the plate with Hawaii, Japan also got another souvenir — a banner that read ''2010 Little League World Series Champions.'' They finished the tournament a perfect 5-0.

Cheered on by Hawaii fans waving U.S. flags and tea leaves they've been carrying around for good luck, the Waipahu All-Stars put on a valiant effort on the mound and with the glove. Thirteen-year-old lefty starter Cody Maltezo, who hadn't pitched in roughly a month, held Japan to four hits over 5 2-3 innings, and Noah Shackles' fine stop of a hard bouncer at third likely saved two runs from scoring in the third.

But the players from the West region couldn't get the clutch hits that had propelled their unlikely run of four victories in four elimination games over four days into the Little League final.

So the All-Star team from Tokyo's Edogawa Minami Little League became the first international team to take the crown since Curacao in 2004. A team from Tokyo's Musashi-Fuchu league was the last winner from Japan, the previous year.

Through the week, Japan's fans clad in bright red hats and white T-shirts cheered the team with rhythmic clapping from the stands, at times to the melody of ''Popeye the Sailor Man,'' the muscle-bound cartoon character.

But pitching and defense were the forte of a squad with a team ERA of 1.92 entering Sunday.

Natsuki Mizumachi took a few steps to his right and dropped to his knees to rob Kahoea Akau of a hit to center in the fifth. Twelve-year-old second baseman Koutaro Kamikura followed that up with a nice stop to his right of a hard bouncer by Ty DeSa to save another hit.

The 12-year-old Tomori tacked on two insurance runs in the sixth with his opposite-field shot to right.

Chants of ''USA! USA!'' echoed through Lamade Stadium after Shackles reached on an error with one out in the sixth.

But Ogasawara got a strikeout for the second out, and Teruma Nagata happily jogged in from right when he caught the final out.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 04:42:28 AM »
LOL football fail

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
:rofl:

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
Aww, the stupid goalkeeper video got deleted.

To make up for that, here's an AWESOME goalkeeper:

ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
best peruvian soccer team losed his main goalkeeper due to a mandatory surgery to recoveer from an injury in his hand... i remember he left his last game crying.

so now i watched the other goalkeeper in action and... DUDE for crying out loud IT SUCKS no wonder the other was all in tears, there is no way they can win the league if he keeps playing this bad.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
ROFL :rofl:

First and last time, but gotta agree with Lebron about this one: https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/29402462737
Misery loves company and that's exactly what MTO and all them other gossip blogs are "MISERABLE". We don't believe u, u need more people.SMH
Replace MTO with any other gossip blog. LMFAO @ him using SMH

I mean seriously, under "Laker News" we get Yahoo referring us to articles written by "freelance" schmucks by Associated Content (their version of Bleacher Report) that gets their fucking facts wrong "O'Neal won four titles with the Los Angeles Lakers" to Yahoo leading their news with "Blogger's View" makes me think just throw a suit on a retired player will give you more insight. How many Tim McCarvers will you get in this day and age. There's a reason why there are those who "blog" and those who work for major publications. :catglare:

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
Well something from the high school level:

The top-ranked Kahuku High football team lost its appeal yesterday to school administrators for using an ineligible player and will have to forfeit the season, it was announced yesterday by the Oahu Interscholastic Association.

As a result, Mililani won the OIA Red Conference title, and the two teams involved in tonight's third-place game between Leilehua and Waianae automatically advance to the state tournament playoff that begins next weekend.

The infraction was self-reported by Kahuku at an OIA sanctioning committee meeting on Thursday night that led to the forfeiture. The Red Raiders appealed the ruling yesterday but failed to sway the committee.

A statement released by the OIA said the league "unfortunately and regrettably must declare Kahuku High School ineligible to participate in any further varsity football games this season, and must forfeit all games in which it used an ineligible player."

Now, I actually have really strong feelings toward this (this isn't the school I graduated from) although digging into the background of this story, I feel bad for all the players who had to go through this and knowing this community very well, they are really strong and football is the bloodline.  I know many won't understand but for any high school sport that a community gets involved, it shows, usually, half a stadium is filled with their fans and last night, only couple thousand, big difference in the crowd, even though my high school team did win the championship last night, I did wish they would play without the ineligible player, and it won't be the same without this particular team in the state tournament, well just something that has been running through my mind since last night, and it shows that a community-driven team can show their pride in defeat
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »
When the University of Oregon Men's Basketball Team opens up Pac-10 play in January, they'll do so inside a newly unveiled Matthew Knight Arena. The arena is named after the son of chief donor and Nike Chairman Phil Knight. Matthew tragically passed away at just 34 years of age after a scuba diving accident in 1994. To really take the new arena over the top, as we all know the University of Oregon loves to do, they enlisted the help of Nike Vice President for Design and Special Projects Tinker Hatfield to design the arena's new basketball floor.

With his design, Hatfield wanted to pay tribute to the tree covered region and the "Tall Firs," Oregon's original championship basketball team from 1939. The stencil graphics, which were completed by United Services in Idaho, represent the view from beneath a forest full of fir trees. It took over 2,500 man hours to complete the graphics on the court.

In addition to the "Tall Firs," Hatfield wanted to salute long time supporter Pat Kilkenny and his family. Kilkenny also served as the school's Director of Athletics from 2007 to 2009. At the top of the floor is "Kilkenny" Floor text. In between are three graphics that tell you a story about the Kilkenny family. The first graphic on the left represents Morrow County and Heppner, Oregon, where Pat Kilkenny grew up. The middle graphic is a 70s style interlocked University of Oregon logo adorned with shamrocks, symbolic of Kilkenny's education and Irish heritage. The last graphic to the right represents the San Diego Sunset, where Kilkenny became an entrepreneur and still resides today.

Centered on the court is the Matthew Knight Arena logo, designed by Todd Van Horne. The logo is inspired by the innovation spirit of the University of Oregon and elements of Matthew Knight's life. The first source of inspiration came from the architecture of the arena itself. Also saluted is Phil Knight's affinity for Japanese symbolism, which explains why the logo is shaped like a Torii Gate. The Matt Knight logo in relation to the Oregon "O" represents the arch of the arena, as well as Matthew's famous smile.

Another intriguing element of the court's design is the "Deep in the Woods" text seen below the Matt Knight Arena logo. Not just a catchphrase, the "Deep in the Woods" text is meant to give visitors the sense that they're out of their element.

The court itself is Connor Sports Flooring Quicklock Portable. It is made of 6,944 square feet of Northern Hard Maple from a FSC Certified Forest. The floor consists of 225 interlocking panels that weigh approximately 45,000 pounds.

Take a look at a few photos of the new cutting-edge court below, as well as a video interview with Tinker Hatfield.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:41 AM »
^ FUCK! Nike Amazing or the floor looks like a shitty high school gym :lol:

SHIT! Just watching The Score now for another dose of Court Surfing and WTF Cabbie is leaving (again) - he's a Canadian sports TV personality

The very successful and much-loved, Cabral (Cabbie) Richards, is leaving The Score after 10 years at the network for a another television position on the entertainment side. Kobe Bryant, for one, won’t be happy and neither will be a lot of kids, including Stamkos, who grew up watching Cabbie and was thrilled last season to be interviewed by him

source: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/2010/11/27/16343941.html

Follow him: http://twitter.com/therealcabbie

International sports fans may have seen him with hilarious interviews with Kobe Bryant.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:14 AM »

My current hometown of Euless got smoked by a trick play in State High School Football

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »
lol Stockholm Derby goes smoke bomb

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
ARGENTINA STILL ALIVE

Blake Griffin of the LA Clippers, NBA Rookie of the Year, Slam Dunk Champ, and Biggest Buzz!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
9 Rules For Watching Football With Guys
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2011, 04:40:36 AM »
heard this on Loose Cannons today, funny shit :lol:

9 Rules For Watching Football With Guys

Thumbs down on the pink jersey, ladies, and pick your team wisely. One woman's guy friends give her some guidelines on the serious business of co-ed football viewing.

By Erin Meanley

The last time I watched football with a guy, he said I needed to do a better job of keeping track of who had the ball. So I decided to ask a few of my guy friends how a woman should act when she goes with a date to a football-watching party. Jason, Ross, Pete, and John all had a lot to say about this matter, so I'm glad I asked! The art of watching football is serious business, girls. Here are their tips for appropriate behavior on Game Day:

1. DON'T wear a pink jersey
"A jersey isn't necessary unless you are a true fan. If you're wearing a player's jersey, you should know a lot about that player. T-shirts with team logos or colors are fine. Do not put your own name on a jersey unless you are under the age of 10. Don't wear pink versions of jerseys, t-shirts, etc." —Pete, 29, Dallas

2. DO know your refreshment options
"Drink beer. Out of the bottle. Solo cups are acceptable. Out of the can, not as hot." —Ross, 31, Burbank, CA

"Really, the only acceptable drinks are beers, and the only acceptable beers are Coors, Miller, and Bud. Do NOT drink wine." —Pete

3. DO choose a side wisely
"Root for a team you actually like, not simply the one I happen to like. If you grew up in Philly but you are rooting for the Cowboys because I like them, I'll think you're not really interested in football and/or you're a traitor to your city." —Pete

"Root for whomever you like but not because their uniforms are cute. Have a favorite player or coach or something (but if it's because he's cute, keep that to yourself)."
—Ross

4. DO do your homework
"Before you show up, you should know who is playing, who are the quarterbacks for each team, what each team's record is (or just generally if they are good or bad this year), and if there are any big news stories involving players from either team. This really isn't hard, just read the preview article on espn.com before the game." —Pete

5. DO pay attention
"While watching the game, you should know what the score is, who has the ball, what quarter it is, etc. Most of this information should be somewhere on the screen at all times." —Pete

6. DO ask questions ... during commercials
"It's okay if you don't understand why a penalty was called or why the handsome quarterback man immediately threw the ball into the ground (to stop the clock), but ask at the commercial break. If you ask enough questions early on, by 4th quarter you should have a pretty good idea of what's going on and dudes will feel like they taught you something." —Ross

"Guys like to teach you about the game, so ask him to explain how the rules work. Learn to watch the game the way he sees it. It might not make too much sense at first, but your understanding will grow as more pieces of the game are revealed." —Jason, 30, Phoenix

7. DO respect the sport
"Do not criticize. If the rules don't make sense at first, don't give the 'that's dumb' response. The rules are there for a reason, and the decisions made by the coaches and players usually happen based off the rules. It is important to be open to learning the rules, and being dismissive is a turn-off." —Jason

8. DO ease up on the trivia, Cliff Claven
"Unless you're watching figure skating, never try to upstage a guy with sports trivia knowledge. I had a friend with a girlfriend that would constantly spew out stats like, 'Did you see so-and-so? They passed for 300 yards last week!' It was annoying — girls shouldn't try too hard to be one of the guys. Just show interest, cheer when appropriate, and it never hurts to offer to go get beers." —John, 30, San Diego

9. DO show or feign interest
"If you become bored during a game … FAKE IT! There's nothing more annoying to me than when a girl pulls out her BlackBerry and starts checking Facebook." —John

"The best way to make yourself more attractive to a guy while watching football with guys is to appear to be a legitimate fan. You're not watching the game just to meet guys, or because your friend dragged you there, but because you like football and know something about the game. Basically, be comfortable and look like you're enjoying yourself and the game." —Pete

source, Glamour http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=22707454

exactly #1, when i hook up my ladies with sports gear - I get em as authentic as possible: And #6 LMFAO, DONT TALK TO ME during the game. :tama-mad:

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2011, 05:43:59 AM »
#1 doesn't apply if the team main colors are pink :Y

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »
lol...well its rare in pro sports in North America unless it's for Breast Cancer awareness, and still they just use gloves or the rim of the hat:

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chirinuruwowaka - Hanamuke