JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Onna ni Sachi Are

Author Topic: [Movie] Oldboy  (Read 8818 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
[Movie] Oldboy
« on: May 08, 2005, 05:09:55 AM »
I watched this Korean film.  Pretty cool, it's a very sadistic Revenge story for those unfamiliar with it.  It's about a businessman that gets drunk one night and is kidnapped.  He wakes up in a prison/hotel style room.  He remains imprisoned for 15 yrs.  He learns his wife has been killed and he's the prime suspect in the murder.  He is released from his prison one day and has 5 days to find out who and why he was put away for so long.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:18:59 AM by Masa »

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 06:11:17 PM »
i liked this movie too.  i went and saw sympathy for mr. vengeance because of this movie.  both movies were great.  i can't wait for sympathy for lady vengeance :)

Offline Happosai

• ecchi
  • Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:37:43 PM »
SICK !!!!  :x This movie is sick !!!!  :x

That's probably why i enjoyed it so much !!!  :lol:

Park Chan-Wook is da awesome !!   :)

Offline Roary

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »
When I saw Oldboy in january I completely fell in love with Chan woo park's work and ordered the special edition right away.

I've watched it like 8 times now and still it keeps on getting better and better.
It surely aint no feel good film but I still like it.

As for Sympathy for mr. vengeance was even sicker as for the plotline.
The film was awesome but I wasnt really happy about seeing it.
It was really depressing film. He really got the mood captured and transferred it to me.

I'm really anxious too see what he will come up with next.
Now I'm just waiting my friend to come back from the army and loan me three extremes :)

Do you want my candy?!?

Offline Jin

• ROCK BOY
  • Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 05:58:52 AM »
good movie indeed. this movie probably had me more satisfied than i've ever been after watching a movie.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
OLD BOY
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 06:35:07 AM »
Yeah I just saw this myself yesterday.  Everytime something happened, I thought I knew why, but turns out I was wrong.  Lets just say that it fucked up my head but good.  I love it! :twisted:

Offline waso dodu

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 11:53:31 AM »
i liked the graphic scenes
the plot twist was nice too
not your usual thriller/drama movie lol

i havent heard of sympathy for mr. vengeance
imma search for it

otherwise i heard ichi the killer was even crazier than oldboy

Offline Christian86

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 09:43:37 PM »
america will make a remake...

Offline Gwasshi4life

• Shit yeah, I love prostate cancer!
OLD BOY
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 02:01:44 AM »
Quote from: waso dodu

I haven't seen Old Boy, but I do plan on looking it up now.

I can, however, advise you to AVOID ICHI THE KILLER LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Or see it for free....then you won't feel so bad about losing money.  I don't know how you'll get those few hours of your life back though.   :evil:

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 09:14:04 AM »
Quote from: waso dodu
i liked the graphic scenes
the plot twist was nice too
not your usual thriller/drama movie lol

Ichi The Killer had more graphic scenes, but it was mostly all Special Effects so it looked funny fake =P  Storyline, yea, it was fuct too, but to me it wasn't really taken seriously as Old Boy =)
word.

Offline MOG_22

OLD BOY
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 06:54:16 AM »
Old Boy was interesting to say the least. It was entertaining. So near the end, was that his daughter? THose who watched it probably know what I'm talking about.

Offline waso dodu

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
spoiler
***yeah it was his daughter, she still have the angel wing
that he bought her as a anniversary gift in the beginning of the movie

regarding Ichi the Killer...
If Mocha say it's funny because the f/x look fake
and Gwasshi advice me to avoid the movie....then beh...i wont watch it

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
OLD BOY
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
After watching this movie, I can say that it is indeed a great movie and beautifully directed.  Although I can't say that it is guaranteed for an American remake simply based on the fact that the plot twist is a crucial point in the story that cannot be changed.

A few  things I didn't understand (or maybe missed when it was explained) are why there were other people trapped in those rooms?  Was that just a service set up for anyone with the money seeking revenge or other forms of torture?  I mean, is the guy who lost his hand working for Woojin or was he just hired by him (Woojin)?

And who was the guy at the beginning who jumped off the building?  What was his significance?  I know the events before he died were similar to "history" but was that the only point of him?

Offline kyo45

OLD BOY
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 03:18:26 AM »
^i have the same question in mind after watching the movie,but other then that it was really good.

another korean film to check out is Musa the warrior which is one of my fav movies of all time

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
OLD BOY
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:32:25 PM »
W00t!!!  Guess who just remembered that he bought a pirated copy in Calgary last week?  BOO yah!!!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: OLD BOY
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »
Oldboy is the shit :yep:

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith Remaking Oldboy?!

He's already remaking Ghost in the Shell, so why not another Asian cinema classic? The newly independent DreamWorks is currently working to secure the remake rights to Chan-wook Park's 2003 film Oldboy. Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are in early discussions to collaborate on the remake, with Smith potentially starring and Spielberg potentially directing. They're currently searching for a screenwriter to begin developing the project while Spielberg finishes directing Tintin. Anyone who is familiar with the original, which is an incredible movie, knows that this isn't exactly the best idea, but if there's anyone who I'd be comfortable with taking on the monumental task of remaking it, it's definitely Spielberg.

In the original Korean film, a man named Dae-su Oh is kidnapped and held captive in a room for 15 years without any explanation or contact. He is suddenly released and given money, a cell phone, and clothes and takes off to discover who destroyed his life so he can take revenge. Oldboy is the second installment of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy, preceded by Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and followed by Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The film is currently ranked at #117 on IMDb's Top 250 and is heralded by many as a modern Asian cinema classic. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to pick up a copy right away.

I'm a big fan of the original (as well as all of the films in Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy) and even I'm a bit worried about this remake - mainly because it's too fucked up for American cinema. Here's the thing - they're going to do it, this is going to do be remade, there's no way around it, so don't try and convince them otherwise. I think Peter from SlashFilm makes a fantastic point: "Would you rather someone like Justin Lin of Tokyo Drift fame helm the adaptation with someone of the likes of Vin Diesel attached to star, or the biggest director in American cinema history and Will Smith attached to star?" I know I agree with him and admit that if there's anyone who could pull it off, it would be Spielberg. Here's to hoping he does!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/07/steven-spielberg-and-will-smith-remaking-oldboy/

That seriously sounds like the worst idea ever :thumbdown:

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
Old Boy Remake
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
They're remaking Old Boy, that awesome violent fuct up Korean movie.

Released by Universal, Its gonna be directed by Spielberg, and its starring...................... Will Smith!

Both director and actor don't fit this movie.
The original Old Boy made less 1 mil in North American box offices, but still.  They should keep classics classics.

Considering the original, the script/storyline is probably gonna get massacred.

----

They're also remaking The Host, which was the highest grossing film in Korea.  I have no idea how they're gonna remake that, because there hasn't been any standout North American comedy'ish horror like the Host.  Last movie that was comedy horror was what, Scary Movie? =\
word.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Old Boy Remake
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 01:49:04 AM »
This is still in the discussion stage. As in, not definite.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Old Boy Remake
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 02:18:01 AM »
Well an Oldboy remake is in the works at some point I think, as will any popular Asian film I imagine. I like Will Smith, you never know he might surprise you, but yeh if it were up to me, there wouldn't even be a discussion of a remake.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
Re: [Movie] Oldboy
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 04:08:25 AM »
they actually started to make a remake like immediately after oldboy was released. it was going to be directed by Justin Lin and he was going to write the screenplay too. It got shelved cus Lin couldn't figure out a way to make it good, as well as not getting studio backing, etc.

It was just recently that Universal started to buy the rights for the movie. Will Smith said that Spielberg won't be remaking the movie, but adapting the orignial manhwa himself. Supposedly the guy who did the screenplays for I Am Legend and currently working on the Thor movie is supposed to pen the script for this.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Onna ni Sachi Are