JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: C-Real - My Boyfriend Again

Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds (2009)  (Read 18710 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds (2009)
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »
Quentin Tarantino Unveils 'Inglorious Bastards' To 4 Major Hollywood Studios

EXCLUSIVE: Quentin Tarantino has just gone out with his long-anticipated script about World War II. I hear it's gone out to Universal, Warner Bros, Paramount, and Sony. Not only is Lawrence Bender attached to produce Inglorious Bastards, but here's the weird thing sources are telling me: Harvey Weinstein also will be producing as well but not financing it though his The Weinstein Co wants to distribute it domestically to pocket the fee. This certainly adds fuel to those rumors that The Weinstein Co is having movie money woes. grondhouse1.jpgAfter all, one of the ways that The Weinstein Co attracted investors was by hyping its creative connection to the Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill 1 & 2 writer/director who has long made a lot of money for a lot of people. But will Harv's investors profit from the connection? Let's not forget that The Weinstein Co produced and financed Quentin's last pic Grindhouse/Death Proof that tanked at the box office because of Weinstein's own admission that he erred in releasing it in the U.S. market as half of a too-long 3-hour, 12-minute double-feature. (UPDATE: QT and Harvey Weinstein lunched very visibly at Ago on Melrose today. Just in case anyone thought they weren't working together...)

This latest Tarantino epic, originally for Miramax and originally set for 2001, has been so long in the works that some people thought it might never see the light of day. Tarantino himself has described it as a Spaghetti Western meets World II film that's an homage to 1967's The Dirty Dozen and its derivative, the more extreme 1978 Italian movie Quel Maledetto Treno Blindato (released in the U.S. under the title Inglorious Bastards) about a group of soldiers on their way to be executed who get the chance of a reprieve. Tarantino's script comes out just as the Enzo G. Castellari inspiration is heading to DVD. In a BBC documentary done around the time of Pulp Fiction's release, Tarantino said that he always wanted to do a "guys on a mission" film. As usual, there's a lot of secrecy surrounding this Quentin project sent out by William Morris.

UPDATE: I've just confirmed that Quentin Tarantino is talking to Brad Pitt to star... And Harvey Weinstein will produce it with Lawrence Bender...
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/quentin-tarantino-unveils-inglorious-bastards/

IMDB | Wikipedia
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:29:20 AM by Masa »

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+
Re: Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards (2009)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:48:42 AM »
My favorite director strikes again! I can't wait to see how this one will turn out  :bow:
rina ♥ mini

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
Script for Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards Surfaces!

Will the news on Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards ever cease? Right after our last update on the production earlier this week, news hit that Brad Pitt is being eyed for the lead and that Taratino is, in fact, keeping Bastards at The Weinstein Company (despite hope that he wouldn't considering their missteps with Grindhouse). Today is probably the best update of all, however, because Latino Review and Vulture scored copies of the script! Tarantino's Dirty Dozen-inspired WWII epic will follow eight Jewish soldiers sent behind enemy lines who are lead by Lt. Aldo Raine (the possible role for Pitt). To give you a sense of Tarantino's twisted tale, Raine tells his men: "Every man under my command, owes me, one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y’all will git me, one hundred Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred Nazi's or you will die trying." This is going to be amazing!

Raine's instructions aren't necessarily the primary directive for this ass-kicking clan of Jews, however. Rather, the "hillbilly from the mountains of Tennessee" leads his men (the "Bastards") on Operation Kino, which involves heading into Paris to attack a premiere for a new propaganda war movie put on by one of Hitler's close associates, Joseph Goebbels. Hitler and most in his high command are expected to attend. Tarantino weaves in a subplot to the story, as well, which surrounds a young girl, Shosanna, bent on revenge; her family was murdered by the Nazis, and she coincidentally ends up running the movie house. The two plots collide in what I can only imagine is a spectacular, bloody spectacle.

These events are spread across 165 pages and five chapters - Chapter One: Once Upon a Time…Nazi Occupied France; Chapter Two: Inglorious Basterds [sic]; Chapter Three: German Night in Paris (to be filmed in "French New Wave Black and White"); Chapter Four: Operation Kino; Chapter Five: Revenge of the Giant Face. Chapters One and Three focus on Shoshanna, whereas two and four the Bastards. Chapter Five brings them all together. Besides Aldo and Shoshanna, we have a glimpse of some of the maniacal characters Tarantino has created: Sgt. Donny Donowitz is known as the "The Bear Jew", and his trademark is smashing Nazis skulls with a baseball bat. The lead antagonist (besides the ever-present Hitler) is Col. Hans Landa aka "The Jew Hunter". One can only imagine the scale and evil of this bad-ass.

If you're interested in reading more, I would suggest you head over to Latino Review or Vulture. El Mayimbe has posted a speech from the script straight from the mouth of Lt. Aldo Raine aka Aldo the Apache and it's pretty incredible to read. It feels pointless to say, but this project sounds completely off the charts. Tarantino, in fact, said previously that Bastards will probably contain his best dialogue to date! And as El Mayimbe describes it, "If you took the bad guy swagger of Reservoir Dogs, the uber coolness and structure of Pulp Fiction, throw in the revenge angle of Kill Bill, set it in World War II – you get Inglorious Basterds." Is there anyone not excited for this?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/10/script-for-quentin-tarantinos-inglorious-bastards-surfaces/

Script previews:
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-a-look-at-the-script-for-tarantino-s-inglorious-bastards-4978
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/07/weve_got_quentin_tarantinos_in.html

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:15:42 PM »
Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards Ends Up at Universal

This is minor news, but considering we always mention everything that involves Quentin Tarantino, I thought I should comment on it as well. Variety has announced that Tarantino's WWII epic Inglorious Bastards has landed at Universal. The studio has partnered with The Weinstein Company to distribute the film. Shooting is scheduled to begin in the fall in Germany and France and Tarantino will hopefully have a cut ready by Cannes next May. Casting is still not official, but we mentioned previously that Tarantino is eyeing both Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio. Now that Tarantino is working with a much larger studio, I think Inglorious Bastards has the potential to hit big with mainstream audiences.

Apparently the final choice came down to Paramount and Universal. Unfortunately they chose the wrong studio. I'm not the only one who can clearly see that Warner Brothers and Paramount are kicking the most ass out of any of the major studios at the moment. Universal is good, but not great, they've got some marketing problems. Paramount, on the other hand, not only has incredible marketing, but always strongly supports their big movies and it shows in the end. Just think of every major hit this summer and it's most likely one of those two. Universal has been struggling recently and I just hope they've got it in them to give Inglorious Bastards the support it needs. I really don't want to see another Children of Men…
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/29/quentin-tarantinos-inglorious-bastards-ends-up-at-universal/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
Brad Pitt is officially a 'Bastard'

Brad Pitt has closed his deal to star in "Inglorious Bastards," the WWII drama that Quentin Tarantino will direct for the Weinstein Co. and Universal. Additionally, Nastassja Kinski is in early talks to play one of the sole female roles in the film. Casting the German-born actress jibes with Tarantino's habit of resuscitating dormant careers. Kinski, who has stayed away from mainstream American films for nearly a decade, would play a German movie queen.

Much of the pic's dialogue is in French or German, and subtitles will be used, though Pitt will speak English in his role as a Tennessee hillbilly who assembles a team of eight Jewish-American soldiers to take on the Nazis. Simon Pegg, David Krumholtz and B.J. Novak are also in talks to join the project. Pegg would play a British lieutenant, while Krumholtz and Novak would play Pitt's underlings.

Pic begins production Oct. 13 in Germany. Tarantino, who wrote the script, is aiming to complete the film and have it ready for next year's Cannes Film Festival. Lawrence Bender is producing, with Erica Steinberg and Harvey and Bob Weinstein as executive producers. Pilar Savone is associate producer. Deal puts Pitt back in business with Universal; apparently he and the studio have patched things up following his last-minute exit from "State of Play" late last year.

Under the terms of Tarantino's deal, he receives 20% of first-dollar grosses. That percentage can be reduced if a first-dollar gross star like Pitt joins the cast, though it's unclear if Tarantino is ceding any of his points to the star. Bender said casting should be complete in about a week or two. Eli Roth will play Sgt. Donnie Donowitz, and Tarantino is locking in the other actors to play the soldiers who make up the Bastards team. Tarantino regular Tim Roth had been in contention to join the cast but couldn't work out the scheduling because of his upcoming TV series "Lie to Me."

While Pitt will be working for the first time with Tarantino as director, he does have on his resume a small but memorable turn as a stoner in the Tony Scott-directed "True Romance," a script that Tarantino wrote between "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction."
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990231.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
Is this the movie where Britney will play a lesbian stripper?
There was something on the news last night, but I didn't pay attention, only picked up her name and starring in Tarentino movie.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:16:37 AM »
I either love or hate the guys films, but he's gone all out for the awful title this time. :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:55 PM »
Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger Join Inglorious Bastards!

Two more new casting announcements today for Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards. One of them is for the lead character Hans Landa, aka "The Jew Hunter", which was rumored to be Leonardo DiCaprio's role for a while. Instead of DiCaprio, German TV actor Christoph Waltz will be taking on that role. And instead of the previously announced Nastassja Kinski, actress Diane Kruger (who we know most from the National Treasure movies) will be taking on the role of Bridget Von Hammersmark. Two more solid casting announcements to continue progress on filling up Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards. These announcements finally seem official, considering the cast changes weekly on this film.

There wasn't much mention of these two in Kevin's article looking at the script reviews for the film, but obviously both are key characters. Waltz will be playing the German lead and I'm under the impression that Kruger must be playing his love interest? It doesn't really matter to me, because I'd rather be surprised by story than instantly aware of all that happens. As we've mentioned before, Inglorious Bastards looks better and better every week and it's supposed to start shooting in Europe sometime this fall. We'll keep you updated as Tarantino finishes filling up the eight "Bastards," considering he's only officially cast four of them so far: Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, and Samm Levine.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/08/29/christoph-waltz-and-diane-kruger-join-inglorious-bastards/

Is this the movie where Britney will play a lesbian stripper?
There was something on the news last night, but I didn't pay attention, only picked up her name and starring in Tarentino movie.

No. That was 'Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!' remake which apparently ain't happening.

Tarantino's 'Faster, Pussycat' Remake Isn't Happening

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Months after "Variety" columnist Liz Smith claimed that Quentin Tarantino had plans to remake Russ Meyer's B-movie classic "Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!," rumors continue spread about the project – false rumors.

The mysterious project popped up on the adult industry's radar earlier this month when the New York Post's Page Six reported that Tera Patrick had been cast in the lead role.

Near the beginning of 2008, Smith said that Tarantino had his eye on three mainstream stars for the movie: Kim Kardashian, Eva Mendes and Britney Spears. This week, British tabloid the Telegraph repeated the Spears story, adding that Tarantino was in talked with two other "Hollywood stars" to join the cast.

But it looks like the project is a dream. Both the New York Post and the Telegraph cited unnamed sources, and a representative for Spears denied the report.

“Though she definitely intends to explore acting roles down the road, right now she’s concentrating on recording her next album,” Spears' representative said.

Representatives for Patrick declined to comment on the casting news to XBIZ, as did Tarantino's camp.

The assiduously updated Internet Movie Database doesn't list the project on Tarantino's profile page. Movie blogger Drew McWeeny of Ain't It Cool News also devoted some time to dismissing the rumors.

"When someone tells you that [Tarantino] cast Tera Patrick or Britney Spears in his new remake of ["Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!"], they are (A) lying, (B) mistakenly listening to someone who is lying, or (C) just inclined to repeat any nonsense they are told."

Finally, Tarantino himself told MTV's Movies Blog that the story about the "Pussycat" remake was "complete bullshit."
http://www.xbiz.com/news/97604

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
A friend just showed me a news article about an upcoming open audition for the movie in Potsdam/Berlin on 20. & 27. September in Babelsberg Filmstudios.

They are specifically looking for pale skinned natural blonde men between 20-45 (military experience is a major plus, NO PIERCINGS), women and children and handicapped (arm and leg amputed) people.

I'm still trying to convince him to go xD

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:43:05 PM by coachie »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »
cut off your leg and go!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »
Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds Starts Shooting in Germany

Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds began principal photography last week on location in Germany. The ensemble cast of Inglourious Basterds includes Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Mélanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Daniel Brühl, Eli Roth, Samm Levine, B.J. Novak, Til Schweiger, Gedeon Burkhard, Paul Rust, Michael Bacall, Omar Doom, Sylvester Groth, Julie Dreyfus, Jacky Ido, August Diehl, Martin Wuttke, Richard Sammel, Christian Berkel, Sönke Möhring, Michael Fassbender, Mike Myers, Rod Taylor, Denis Menochet and Cloris Leachman.

Inglourious Basterds reunites Tarantino with Academy Award-nominated editor Sally Menke, Academy Award-winning director of photography Bob Richardson, and production designer David Wasco. Joining Tarantino for the first time is Academy Award-nominated costume designer Anna Sheppard.

Academy Award-nominee Lawrence Bender is producing Inglourious Basterds. Erica Steinberg and Lloyd Phillips, and Bob and Harvey Weinstein are the film's executive producers. The co-producers are Charlie Woebcken, Christoph Fisser and Henning Molfenter. Pilar Savone is the associate producer.

The Weinstein Company and Universal Pictures, through its newly formed International Studio, are co-financing and co-presenting the film with TWC handling domestic distribution and Universal handling international distribution. The two companies are partners on the project.

Zehnte Babelsberg Film, a subsidiary of Studio Babelsberg AG, is producing Inglourious Basterds. The film will shoot at Studio Babelsberg as well as in Berlin, Saxony and Paris.

Inglourious Basterds begins in German-occupied France, where Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own…

Inglourious Basterds will be released worldwide in 2009.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/14/quentin-tarantinos-inglourious-basterds-starts-shooting-in-germany/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds (2009)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »
Ennio Morricone Scoring Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds?!

This could be the greatest bit of news since Quentin Tarantino first announced that he was actually making Inglourious Basterds! An Italian site called IGN (via the Tarantino Archives) is reporting that legendary composer Ennio Morricone, who was honored at the Oscars last year, has agreed to score Inglourious Basterds. The news has since disappeared from the Tarantino Archives because it wasn't 100% confirmed, which makes some sense because Tarantino and Morricone have had an interesting working relationship over the years. Every great war movie has a phenomenal score (Saving Private Ryan had John Williams) and Morricone seems like the perfect guy for Basterds. If only this were confirmed and true!

We'll all be anxiously holding our breath hoping that this news turns out to be true in the end. Anyone who saw Morricone accept the Honorary Award at the Oscars last year knows that he's a composer who deserves so much more recognition than he typically gets. In fact, anyone who has seen The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or Days of Heaven or Cinema Paradiso or The Mission or The Untouchables (or any of the hundreds of movies he has scored) knows how utterly amazing his music is. Would it fit in Inglourious Basterds? I definitely think so! From what I know of the film and Tarantino's style, Morricone is the perfect fit for it! He definitely hasn't retired yet, so let's hope that this wasn't just one big, exciting rumor.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/10/ennio-morricone-scoring-tarantinos-inglourious-basterds/

Tarantino + Morricone = :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
Inglourious Basterds Gets an Official August Release Date

The Weinstein Company has officially set the release date for Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds as August 21st, 2009. The only other films also slated for release at that time include Final Destination: Death Trip 3D and the comedy The Goods: The Don Ready Story. Tarantino's films have never been the biggest box office hits. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 opened on October 10, 2003 and earned $70 million at the box office; Kill Bill: Vol. 2 opened on April 16, 2004 and earned $66.2 million. It's very likely Inglourious Basterds will also have its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in early May as well.

As excited as I am for Inglourious Basterds, I'm also considerably concerned about The Weinstein Company's plans for it. This decision to slate its release in late August is the first of many decisions that I fear may eventually hurt the potential success of this movie. But all that aside, I'm sure Tarantino has made a great movie in the end and we'll get to see that no matter when TWC puts it out. I only just wish movies like this were marketed as well as they should be. But then again, we haven't seem much actual marketing for this yet anyway. We'll leave you with an updated synopsis for those who have never read the script.

Inglourious Basterds begins in German-occupied France, where Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own…
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/31/inglourious-basterds-gets-an-official-august-release-date/

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 11:20:58 PM »
My friend, who went to the auditions in September, got a call on wednesday from the talent agency that had held the auditions. They said he shoulld show up for filming the next morning and filming would take from thursday til tuesday (excluding the weekend).
But he couldn't get off work and school after such short notice.
There went the chance to become a famous extra in a Tarentino movie.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
Maggie Cheung Rues No Cooperation with Pitt

Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung will star in Quentin Tarantino's World War II film "Inglourious Basterds," the actress has said.

Cheung, 44, who has settled down in Beijing with her German architect boyfriend Ole Scheeren, went back to Hong Kong over the weekend to promote a brand she endorses, Star Daily reported.

The Cannes best actress told the newspaper she would only appear in a couple of scenes. However, the role would be challenging because she has to speak French.

Written and directed by the Oscar-winning Tarantino, the film will be led by Brad Pitt as the leader of eight Jewish-American soldiers. Cheung will play a French woman who owns a cinema in Paris.

"My character is very interesting," Cheung was quoted as saying, "But it's a pity I wouldn't be able to star in a scene together with Brad Pitt."

The film is set for release at next year's Cannes Film Festival in May.
http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/11/17/1261s424677.htm

Hooray for Maggie Cheung appearance! :twothumbs

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:41 AM »
First Official Footage from Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds!

Apparently the rumors are true - Entertainment Tonight is showing the first full trailer for Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds tomorrow night. In advance of that debut, they've aired a very short teaser for the trailer, which features about 25 seconds of our first look at Inglourious Basterds. This is obviously a very exciting and grand debut, as this is nearly ten years in the making, and it was less than a year ago when Tarantino announced that he was actually making this and he's already put together a trailer. So without further ado, let's get on with it! Check out the first footage from Inglourious Basterds!

During World War II, a group of Jewish-American soldiers known as "the Basterds" are chosen to spread fear throughout the Third Reich by scalping and brutally killing Nazis. The Basterds soon cross paths with a French-Jewish teenage girl who runs a movie theater in Paris that is targeted by soldiers.

Inglourious Basterds is both written and directed by the infamous Quentin Tarantino, of everything from Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction to Kill Bill to Death Proof previously. The Weinstein Company and Universal have partnered to bring us Tarantino's WWII masterpiece in all of its brilliant glory. Inglourious Basterds will officially hit theaters worldwide on August 21st later this year after its premiere at Cannes.

Video:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/10/first-official-footage-from-tarantinos-inglourious-basterds/

OH SHIT! Brad Pitt is the man! :theking

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

:twothumbs

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »
Quentin Tarantino Recaps the Inglourious Basterds Trailer

With the arrival of the new Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen teaser today and the Taking of Pelham 123 and Angels & Demons trailers last week, I'm apprehensively wondering if the teaser trailer for Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds got lost in the mix of things. I thought it looked pretty badass, although it definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but that's Tarantino for you. As a way of revisiting the trailer again this week, and to provide some additional explanation, I thought I'd feature some of the more exciting quotes from Empire's frame-by-frame discussion with Quentin Tarantino about the trailer.

For those of you that haven't read the screenplay, Inglourious Basterds is split into 5 different chapters (read more about them here). "Each chapter in this movie has a vaguely different look, and a different feel, and the tone is different in all of them," says Tarantino. "The opening chapter truly feels like a spaghetti western, but with WWII iconography." While we know that this is about the titular group of Jewish-American soldiers who wreak havoc on the Germans, this is a bit of a misconception, as the story actually focuses on the character Shosanna Dreyfus, played by French actress Mélanie Laurent.

"Shosanna was always a main character," says Tarantino. "One of the biggest changes in my conception of it from way back when until now - in fact, hands down the biggest thing - is that, in the original version of this script, Shosanna was more of a kind of movie character. She was badass. But the thing about that was, I did that with The Bride in Kill Bill. So I started making her more like a real girl in this situation." Shosanna's family is killed by the Nazis and she flees to Paris, where she takes on a job running a movie theater. It's here where everything eventually comes together. The Germans decide to show their latest propaganda film there and the Basterds, aware of the plans for the premiere, make their way towards the theater.

One of the pivotal scenes in the film, as seen above, is the La Louisiane bar scene, in which British soldier Lt. Archie Hickox (Michael Fassbender) goes to meet his contact, double-agent Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger), while the Basterds stand guard. "The La Louisiane scene is like a reduced Reservoir Dogs, but with Nazis and in German. It's a 23-minute scene, and instead of that warehouse they're in a little basement bar." That's a comparison that should make any Tarantino fanboy giddy, but we'll have to wait to see it in all of its glory. And we'll have to see if it's more exciting than the diner scene in Death Proof.

"La Louisiane is a huuuuge deal, I think the biggest deal I've ever done, in any of my movies. I always said that once we'd done the La Louisiane, then… everything else won't exactly be easy, but it will appear easy after La Louisiane. And we'll be able to do a great climax because we've done the La Louisiane." There isn't too much of this shown in the trailer, besides just a few tidbits like the shot above or the shot of Diane Kruger pointing the gun off screen, but those combined with Tarantino's enthusiasm have already made me excited to see the scene. It's only just one small part of it all, featured in "Chapter Four: Operation Kino."

That brief black and white portion of the trailer is actually from the "film-within-a-film" titled Nation's Pride that is part of "Chapter Three: German Night In Paris." It's a propaganda piece created by Joseph Goebbels, starring Frederik Zoller (Daniel Brühl), a famous German sniper who is known and celebrated for killing many Russian soldiers in combat. The actual film was directed by Eli Roth and is shown in snippets throughout Inglourious Basterds. Nation's Pride is somewhat of a centerpiece within the film and it's what is being shown at Shosanna's movie theater (as previously mentioned). "I like the idea that it's the power of cinema that fights the Nazis," says Tarantino. "But not just as a metaphor - as a literal reality."

As for characters, Tarantino explains which two he always had in his mind: "There was always Donnie, and there was always Aldo," he says. "But after that, I had to come up with some more characters. After Donnie and Aldo, I wrote those characters and then I auditioned for them." He's talking specifically about Sgt. Donnie "The Bear Jew" Donowitz, played by Eli Roth, and Lt. Aldo Raine, played by Brad Pitt, who are easily the two most memorable characters from the trailer. "When he's on set, he's Aldo," Tarantino says of Pitt. "He doesn't really break character. When you talk to him about other stuff, he talks in Aldo's voice."

While the trailer may not have been exactly what everyone was expecting to see, I still thought it was an exciting first look at what Tarantino has been shooting over the last few months. However, we can't forget that this was just a teaser trailer, and we're still going to see at least one or two more full trailers by the time Inglourious Basterds hits theaters in August. Special thanks to Empire for the awesome interview with Tarantino. Although the screenplay has made the rounds, I think there is still a lot to be discovered within Inglourious Basterds, as is evident from this trailer, and I can't wait to see what's revealed next.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/16/quentin-tarantino-explains-the-inglourious-basterds-trailer/

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: C-Real - My Boyfriend Again