JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bugy Craxone - Kutabare Sentimental

Author Topic: RIP Chiba Shinichi  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
RIP Chiba Shinichi
« on: August 19, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »
The great Chiba dead at 82. https://variety.com/2021/global/news/sonny-chiba-dead-dies-martial-arts-kill-bill-1235044575/

I understand Western media having to reference the likes of "Kill Bill" in any Chiba obituary but man, he didn't need any charity from Tarantino to bolster what was already a hall-of-fame list of credits.

Like many kids in Hawaii I was introduced to Chiba as a star of TV detective shows like THE BODYGUARD and GORILLA 7, followed by a slew of jidai-geki: YAGYU CONSPIRACY and KAGE NO GUNDAN amongst others. I still envision Chiba doing battle with a katana more than his fists. (I didn't see any of the STREET FIGHTER movies until only a decade-plus ago.)

I wonder who the more-famous COVID death in Japan is: Chiba or Shimura Ken? I assume Shimura had higher visibility for a longer period of time but Chiba was known overseas, if only for that niche.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: RIP Chiba Shinichi
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 08:25:31 PM »
 DAMN I didn`t know that was his son! Whoops my shift key being weird. but yea

Shimura Ken was huge too, Sab. Like MINI MONI Guest Star Guy, what a talent. But man this is huge because of his overseas influences.

Sonny Chiba to me be like `The Japanese Bruce Lee`but like holy shit all the action all the charisma. I saw Keanu REeeves pimping John Wick and turn into a fan girl when Sonny showed up.

Remember that thread we made about his move with... IDOLS!!  Ayumi Kinoshita + Ayaka Komatsu http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=2795.0

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bugy Craxone - Kutabare Sentimental