JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Kakuiumono

Author Topic: Court orders problem child to forfeit Wii, will return it if he behaves  (Read 1528 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Forget 'scared straight' -- if you want to keep troubled youth on the right track, you've got to hit 'em where it hurts.

Right in the Wii.

According to The Winnipeg Sun, that's the thinking of judge Marvin Garfinkle, who opted to grant a troublesome 12-year-old boy bail on condition that he surrenders his beloved Nintendo Wii to the court.

"He is pledging as a security, akin to a cash deposit, his Nintendo Wii," Garfinkle told the paper. "And if he doesn't comply, he loses it."

By "comply," the judge means "keeping the peace, appearing for court dates, living with his grandmother and participating in a bail management program." Failure to uphold any of those duties will result in forfeiture of the console.

The odd punishment represents the last ditch effort to curb the boy's bad behavior, which includes smashing windows at his elementary school, punching a classmate in the face, disobeying a court order to stay away from school, hitting another boy with a pool cue and attacking a teacher after a game of dodgeball.

Despite the rough resume, the boy's lawyer thinks he's simply misunderstood.

"I know it doesn't look good," Serena Puranen told The Sun. "I've never seen him enraged, I've never seen him upset. He's a 12-year-old who is generally quite scared."

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Court orders problem child to forfeit Wii, will return it if he behaves
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:40 AM »
Didn't see this in the actual published copy of the Sun that was published today, but it did show up on their website just before noon.

Wii at risk if boy re-offends
Good behaviour will get his console back

By DEAN PRITCHARD, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 28th October 2009, 11:42am
He's 12 years old and in the past nine months has been charged with everything from vandalism to assault and breaching court orders.

The courts have been catching and releasing him for months and the Crown says he is out of control and should not be released on bail.

What to do?

If you're Judge Marvin Garfinkle, you hit him where it hurts. At a hearing last week, Garfinkle granted the boy bail, but only after he agreed to provide the court his most valued possession as security -- his Nintendo Wii.

The boy's release conditions include keeping the peace, appearing for court dates, living with his grandmother and participating in a bail management program. If he breaches any of the conditions, it's bye-bye Wii.

"He is pledging as a security, akin to a cash deposit, his Nintendo Wii," Garfinkle said. "And if he doesn't comply, he loses it."

The boy's first run-in with the law was last February when he allegedly used a rock-filled sock to smash the door windows of his elementary school. Days later, he chased a classmate and punched him several times in the face.

Police released him on an undertaking but it wasn't long before he was in trouble again, this time for breaching a court order he not attend his school. He is accused of breaching that order at least three times.

"It's almost as if he's taunting the school," said Crown attorney Susan Baragar.

In August, he allegedly hit another boy over the head with a pool cue. His latest arrest was Oct. 16 when he allegedly attacked a male student and female teacher at his new school following a game of dodge ball.

"While the youth is 12 years old, it is our submission he is clearly out of control and will not obey any rules your honour may lay down for him," Baragar told Garfinkle.

The boy's lawyer said he's not out of control, he just repeatedly finds himself in the middle of sticky situations.

"I know it doesn't look good," Serena Puranen said. "I've never seen him enraged, I've never seen him upset. He's a 12-year-old who is generally quite scared."

dean.pritchard@sunmedia.ca

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/10/28/11548331-sun.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:48:50 AM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »
I bet this kid lives in the north end of the city, sees prostitutes on the way to school, and probably has syringes on the playroom of whichever parent he sees part time.  And if he's not, then he's just a spoiled brat.  Fuck this city, srsly.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
That wouldn't fly in the US, that's cruel and unusual punishment.  A clear violation of his civil rights.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:15 AM »
adn you need a judge to do that?... hope they blocked his internet access too :D

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
I think its well worth it but i think he needs psycho therapy instead
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Kakuiumono