JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chemistry - Almost In Love

Author Topic: Official Boxing Thread  (Read 77186 times)

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official Boxing Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
fight of the year
word.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
I was rooting for Marquez because I started to sympathize with him after watching 24/7 on HBO.

But damn, I didn't expect a knockout punch like that! Awesome fight.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Nik_Eagle

• ecchi
  • I am XY not XX :-P
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
Last day two Thai  Boxer (Thepparid & Pronsawan) loss Japan boxer.  :peace:

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2013, 04:31:31 AM »
Zou Shiming won his first pro fight but it was only 4 rounds. Very entertaining 4 rounds and he's pretty slick and wild. He moves around a lot so I dunno if he could keep that up for 10-12 rounds.

China's Olympic champion Zou wins professional debut

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
Floyd Mayweather to fight Canelo Alvarez on Sept. 14
O_O WOW I did not expect that to happen.
I'm expecting Floyd to box his way to a decision as usual. Canelo's good, but I don't think he's quite ready for it yet.

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2014, 02:10:36 AM »

Mike Bison returns!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »
R.I.P. Mister Carter.
:prayers: :prayers: :prayers:

Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76
Former professional boxer became an advocate for the wrongly convicted
By Mark Gollom, CBC News | Posted: Apr 20, 2014 9:54 AM ET | Last Updated: Apr 20, 2014 2:39 PM ET

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the former professional boxer who became an advocate for the wrongly convicted after spending 19 years in prison for a triple murder he didn't commit, died Sunday in Toronto. He was 76.

Carter's struggle for freedom and exoneration was made famous in a number of books, a Bob Dylan song and a Hollywood film. Although born in the U.S., Carter had a special connection to Canada, where he settled following his prison release, which came about with the help of a group of Canadians.

Carter's work continued until his death. In a recent letter in the New York Daily News printed in February, Carter said he was on his deathbed, but that his "final wish" was for Brooklyn's district attorney to grant a hearing to David McCallum, a man who has been imprisoned for 28 years for a murder Carter said he didn't commit.

Carter was cremated Sunday and no funeral or memorial service has been planned.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/rubin-hurricane-carter-dead-at-76-1.2616026

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
I'm looking forward to it, but some of the hype for me died years ago when it looked like this was never gonna happen. Again, I'm gonna watch it, but I'm not invested as I would've been 5 years ago.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:33 AM »
I comfess, I had absolutely no interest in watching the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. I am also probably one of a small handful of Filipinos who believe that Pacquiao's aggressive, in-your-face, high-tempo-try-to-overwhelm-your-opponet style never had a ice cube's shot in hell of beating Mayweather's patient, be-responsible-defensively, counterattack-when-the-opportunity-presents-itself, control-the-pace-of-the-fight-and-make-your-opponent-overwork-themselves style.

Now with that being said, I found a free online stream of it and, even though the stream was sketchy at times, I did watch the fight. I would have liked to have seen Pacquiao knock out Mayweather. I would have liked to have seen him make the sports world able to put a tick in the loss column of Mayweather's record. But, as I expected would happen, I watched the fight go the distance and saw Pacquiao lose a judge's decision that I knew (ever since they first announced the fight) that he would never be able to win anyway.

Anyway, looking at the various online reports/analyses of the fight that got posted, in my opinion this guy probably sums things up simply, if bluntly.

SBNation.com - If you paid $100 for Mayweather-Pacquiao, you're a chump
- http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/3/8539433/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-pay-per-viewrecord

Yes, it comes off a bit more as a rant than a report/analysis of the fight, but when he gets to the second half of the article, you cannot deny that quite a bit of what he says makes sense. In the second half of the article, he talks about some of the unwritten/unofficial realities of the sport of boxing that some boxing fans just don't want to accept exist.
1st Point
Mayweather is going to retire never having fought somebody on his level. The trick he pulls is convincing you that he's about to fight somebody on his level. In this case, it was past-his-prime Manny Pacquiao, six years after this fight should've happened.
2nd Point
But it's worse! Because this wasn't even Manny Pacquiao at full strength. Pacquiao's team claims Manny has a tear in his shoulder, and had for almost a month, and that he'll need surgery on it.

Some think this is just a way saving face after a bad performance. But let's believe them for a second: they're telling us that they asked an injured boxer to give it a shot against an all-time great with an injured shoulder.

This is not a sound boxing decision. It is, however, a spectacular decision when you get $100 million just for showing up. Manny Pacquiao got $100 million for showing up.
3rd Point
Floyd Mayweather is smart. It's not his job to fight somebody who should beat him. It's not his job to give that person an opportunity to give that opportunity to beat him by fighting brashly. It's his job to win and get paid. And he did.
4th Point
Manny Pacquiao and his team are smart too. They knew they had to make this show go on, even if Pacquiao was hurt.
because again, as stated in a previous quote from the article...
Manny Pacquiao got $100 million for showing up.

Now obviously people are now abuzz about "what's next" for both fighters. Well, obviously a rematch is out of the question, as both camps and both fighters know that there's not much of a chance that they'd be able to match the hype (and thus, the payout) of this match. It's not like they'd need to fight again anyway. Both guys are stupidly rich and (as long as they don't spend it all and don't do anything even stupider that would cause them to lose it all) they'll continue to be stupidly rich.

Mayweather's got tons of endorsements, I'm sure. It's also known that he's got tons of investments and real estate holdings that make him tons of money. He's also got enough earnings that even with his extravagant lifestyle, he can afford to just completely retire and live off of all the interest that his money gets.

Like Mayweather, Pacquiao also has endorsements, investments, and real estate, not to mention his dabbling/forays into playing pro basketball, singing and acting. Mainly though, Pacquiao has/will have his "political career" back in The Philippines to fall back on. His popularity is so high back home, that as long as he continues to run for whatever political office/position is available, he will continue to get elected "because he's Manny". Hell, The Philippines is due to call a Presidential election next year (2016). If Pacquiao decided, or if he were convinced to announce his candidacy, it would not surprise me at all if the country votes him in because the people decided that they want "President Manny".

EDIT:
SBNation.com - 5 things that cost $100 that are better than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao
- http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/3/8537173/mayweather-pacquaio-ppv-cost-noooooo-dont-do-it

Can't say that I disagree with this list; especially that Kindle Fire tablet, that's a hell of a deal. :yep:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:52:44 AM by JFC »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
Everyone was, not surprisingly. Anyone who claims that it was an exciting fight to watch is lying outta their Mayweathers assholes.

SI.com - Manny Pacquiao is bored by Floyd Mayweather's final fight
- http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/09/13/floyd-mayweather-andre-berto-manny-pacquiao-instagram-bored
- https://instagram.com/p/7jnhTfOd_W/ (posted during the fight)

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2016, 09:36:48 PM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chemistry - Almost In Love