JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Go girl koi no victory

Author Topic: [WTF] Martina Hingis Tests Positive for Cocaine, Quits Tennis Again  (Read 2046 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong

Photo Credit CU

Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Martina Hingis ended her tennis comeback yesterday when the former top-ranked player said she tested positive for cocaine during this year's Wimbledon tournament and that she is quitting the sport again.

Hingis, 27, denied using drugs, saying in a statement that the substance may have been in a spiked fruit drink ``that someone in my environment gave me viciously without my knowledge.''

Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion who returned to tennis two years ago after retiring in 2002, underwent a routine drugs test after losing in the third round at Wimbledon in June.

``I am frustrated and angry,'' Hingis said. ``I believe that I am absolutely, 100 percent innocent.''

The WTA Tour hasn't received official information regarding Hingis's drug test, Chief Executive Officer Larry Scott said in a statement. ``As a result, we are not in position to comment on the matter,'' Scott said.

``With respect to her retirement announcement, Martina Hingis is a tremendous champion and a fan favorite the world over. In her most recent comeback, she proved again that she can perform at the very highest levels of the game,'' he added.

Wimbledon spokesman Johnny Perkins said in a telephone interview that drug-testing at the tournament is carried out by the International Tennis Federation and championship organizers had no information about Hingis's case. Calls to the ITF's London headquarters weren't answered.

According to tennis's anti-doping policy, an athlete's anonymity is protected until the completion of any tribunal process to determine if an offense has been committed.

Hair Sample

Hingis said that both the initial and backup parts of a urine sample taken after her loss to Laura Granville at Wimbledon showed traces of cocaine. She said that on the advice of her family and business representatives she had submitted a hair sample for tests, which found no sign of the drug.

``I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous, that I have decided to confront it head-on by taking it to the press,'' Hingis said at a news conference in Zurich yesterday.

She said her attorney's investigation found discrepancies in how the urine sample was handled and that it would be difficult for authorities to even prove that it was hers. The lawyer also told her that an appeal might take years to resolve.

``And this is the reason for my announcement,'' Hingis said. ``I have no desire to spend the next several years of my life reduced to fighting against the doping officials.''

Drop in Rankings

Hingis, struggling with a hip injury, has dropped 12 places in the world rankings to No. 19 this year after failing to reach the quarterfinals of any event since March. Her sole singles tournament win this year was at the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo in February.

She first left the sport because of ankle injuries, returning for the 2006 season, when she won two titles and reached the Australian Open and French Open quarterfinals.

At 16 years, 6 months, Hingis was the youngest player to be No. 1 in the rankings. She won three consecutive Australian Open titles from 1997-99 and triumphed at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1997, when she also reached the French Open final.

She won prize money of $625,295 this year, lifting her career earnings since turning professional in 1994 past $20 million.

The Swiss Tennis Association said Hingis was a ``role model and figurehead'' for the sport who had motivated ``countless people around the world to play tennis.''

``We regret very much that Martina is ending her career faced with these recriminations,'' association president Rene Stammbach said in a statement.

Article: Bloomberg.com

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: [WTF] Martina Hingis Tests Positive for Cocaine, Quits Tennis Again
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:26:21 AM »
Aye she was the princess of Tennis before the Williams sisters, Henin, etc came to the sport.

How sad this has to happen to her, but i always thought that she should not have made a return at all last year. Well can't blame her since she's still young and still have the drive.

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:39:17 AM »
Sad news indeed, going to miss that big forehead and big smile running around the tenniscourt.

Offline tsutomo

• My another girlfriend
  • Member+
  • No Idol, No Life
    • tsutomo_BiS
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »
even if she was using the drug, she will always be the best tennis player i saw. the williams sisters play with strength, she played with class. the closest to her technique is henin-hardenne. but henin doesn't have the charism martina has.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Go girl koi no victory