JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Onnazakari

Author Topic: Star Trek (2009)  (Read 20757 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Star Trek (2009)
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »
I hate to admit this but I enjoyed Star Trek a lot (no trekkie) :cry:

:thumbsup
- Sabotage!
- The movie was crazy entertaining
- Action scenes
- Plot
- Not as geeky as I expected
- Great cast and characters
- Chris Pine was fucking awesome
- Sylar as Spock
- Uhura's skimpy outfits

:thumbdown:
- That goddamn lens flare effect
- Some action scenes were a bit messy due to fast editing and shaky cam

I'm a huge Star Trek hater but the movie was so good that I just can't hate on it. There's no way I'm ever gonna watch any old Star Trek shit but I will sure as hell watch all the new movies :yep:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:36:25 PM by Masa »

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »
I just watched it again.

I'm not sure if I'd put it ahead of Wrath of Khan, but I'm pretty sure I'd rank it ahead of the other movies.

Even though the writers seem to have overestimated the power of a supernova while underestimating the power of a black hole, but I guess it just wouldn't be Star Trek if the science weren't a little silly.

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed that Chris Pine didn't imitate Shatner as closely as Karl Urban imitated DeForest Kelley. However, I know I'm relieved to see that Zoe Saldana is as hot as the new Uhura as Nichelle Nichols was as the old one.

For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a comic whose story connects the Next Generation movies with this one.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvkyof

For those who want to watch the movie but don't consider themselves nerdy enough to read a comic book, there follows a spoiler-filled summary:

[bgcolor=#000000]A mining ship in Romulan space is looking for "decalithium" when the planet's star goes supernova. For some reason, this supernova gets stronger with everything it destroys, to the point where it could, for some reason, destroy the entire galaxy.

Spock, who, because Vulcans have long lifespans is still alive in Next Generation time, seems to be the only one who sees this as a threat. He tries to warn the Romulan senate that this supernova will keep expanding at an unusual rate, but they don't believe him, even though Nero, the captain of the Romulan mining vessel confirms his story.

Spock and Nero agree to help each other, but their plan hinges upon a new Vulcan technology called "red matter," which coincidentally hinges upon decalithium.

Along the way to Vulcan, their ship is intercepted by Reman pirates. Just when all seems lost, the Enterprise happens along, commanded by Captain Data, who seems to have erased his retarded brother's mind to take control of his body after the events of Nemesis. By an even more amazing coincidence, the Reman pirates happen to have been stealing more Decalithium.

While this is happening, the Romulan senate finally recognizes the threat and decides to begin evacuation of their home world.

When they reach Vulcan, they happen to meet up with Jean-Luc Picard,  who is now the Federation's ambassador to Vulcan. While en route to Vulcan, Nero happens to study the history of all Starfleet vessels called Enterprise, learning about Kirk and Spock.

Despite his and Spock's best efforts, they fail to convince the Vulcan high council to help the Romulans as old prejudices hold sway.

Nero decides to entrust his supply of decalithium to Spock and friends as he attempts to return to Romulas to rescue his pregnant wife.

Unfortunately, they arrived too late, as the supernova somehow managed to expand largely enough and quickly enough to destroy a star system light years away, killing everyone who couldn't evacuate from Romulas, including Nero's wife.

Nero, driven insane with grief, assumes that the Federation did this intentionally, and destroys the medical ships sent to assist in the evacuation of Romulas.

After this, the Romulan ruling council reveals that they managed to escape the destruction. Nero responds to this by killing them too, and therefor he assumes control of what's left of the Romulan Empire.

Only after the destruction of Romulas did the Vulcan high council recognize the threat caused by the unusually powerful supernova. The only problem was that they had no ship capable of deploying their red matter technology close enough to the center of the explosion to prevent further destruction.

While these discussions were going on, Nero took his mining ship to the coordinates the Romulan senators had revealed. They found there a secret military base that outfitted their mining ship with reverse-engineered Borg technology, making it the most powerful ship in the galaxy.

Meanwhile Geordi LaForge, who had retired from Starfleet engineering to design his own ships, arrived with his latest design, called the Jellyfish, which was strong and fast enough to get inside the supernova to deliver the red matter. Even though a tiny amount of red matter is enough to finish the job, Spock for some reason decides to take a whole bunch of it along with him to stop the supernova.

While this was going on, Nero was using his newly upgraded ship to kill anyone he came across, Federation, Cardassian, Klingon, and anyone else.

Spock volunteered to take the fancy new ship and destroy the supernova, believing it to be a suicide mission.

But while he was preparing for that, a huge Klingon fleet, let by General Worf, attacked Nero's ship. Unfortunately for them, his upgraded ship was more powerful than their entire fleet, and they were all destroyed, leaving Worf critically injured.

But while that was happening, the Jellyfish was upgraded and adapted to respond only to Spock's commands.  He took off, leaving the Enterprise to confront Nero and his seemingly invincible ship.

The Enterprise managed to rescue Worf in time, but only after taking heavy damage, making them unable to pursue Nero as he follows Spock.

Spock manages to deploy the red matter in time to stop the supernova from somehow destroying the entire galaxy, but he and Nero are caught in the black hole, leading up to the events of the movie.
[/bgcolor]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:48:54 AM by Foxy Brown »

Offline plineking

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
is very good :otomerika:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
Star Trek Sequel is Starting Pre-Production Next December?

Apparently this little quote was first published last week, just before Christmas, and I'm not sure how we missed it. But considering there is no other news worth reporting this week, and because Star Trek is one of favorite movies of this year, I thought I'd feature it today anyway. In an MTV article looking at actress Zoe Saldana's upcoming 2010 slate, they highlight a quote from her that mentions that the Star Trek sequel will be "going into pre-production around this time next year." That's not necessarily shocking or surprising, but it's good to hear that they're pushing to get started fairly soon, because I'm already anxious to see this.

"I spoke to J.J. and Bryan Burk, his producing partner at Bad Robot, and they are still in the middle of building the script with Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, and we'll probably be going into pre-production around this time next year."

The odd thing about this is that MTV doesn't mention when exactly they got this quote. So although I'm predicting (given that she has been doing lots of Avatar promotion recently) that it was earlier in December, I can't say for certain. The last we heard, back in November, J.J. Abrams was still unsure about directing the sequel without a finished script. And it sounds like Kurtzman and Orci, who wrote the first movie, are still working on that script. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping that Abrams will return, but I guess only time will tell. I'm just happy to see it progressing, as I'm excited for the continuing voyages of the Starship Enterprise.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/29/star-trek-sequel-is-starting-pre-production-next-december/

Offline L1mpk1d78

• ecchi
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »
It is awesome that there will be another one. I cant wait. The first one was one of the best movies that came out this year.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
Star Trek Sequel Hits in 2012, Wolverine 2 is Shooting in 2011

I think Hollywood can only see two years into the future. Now that it's 2010, that means it's time to start scheduling movies for 2012. Last year they didn't go beyond 2011. Anyway, first things first, ComingSoon has learned that Paramount has set a June 29th, 2012 release for the untitled Star Trek sequel. I would call it Star Trek 2, but I was already informed previously that this is technically the 12th Star Trek movie, so that title wouldn't be inaccurate. And in related 2012 news, SHH found a video with Hugh Jackman talking about shooting Wolverine 2 starting early to mid-2011. Therefore we can also expect that to hit in 2012.

I don't think these are the very first movies to get 2012 release dates (The Avengers is scheduled for May 4th; Pixar and DreamWorks also have some movies scheduled for 2012, too), but they are two very highly anticipated sequels that we now know will be hitting two or so years from now in 2012 (just before the world ends). We already know that the Wolverine sequel will be about Logan traveling to Japan and training with samurai, but as for the Star Trek sequel, we don't know anything about it at all. Hell, we don't even know if J.J. Abrams will be back to direct or not. Hopefully we'll find out an answer to that question soon.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/01/09/star-trek-sequel-hits-in-2012-wolverine-2-shooting-in-2011/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
Kurtzman and Orci Talk Villains and Setting for Star Trek 2

It's only been eight months since J.J. Abrams launched the critically acclaimed and audience praised reboot of the legendary Star Trek franchise, and while there are many hardcore fans who have cried fowl, there's still a vast majority of us who simply cannot wait for Star Trek 2. And if anything, the anticipation is even higher now that Paramount has set a release date of June 29th, 2012. Luckily writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci sat down with Coventry Telegraph's Geek Files and gave them another update with a hint of the various directions they might take the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise and the villains they may encounter.

First and foremost, it seems like Kurtzman and Orci are going back and forth on where they want to pick up the story. Orci explains: "We would never do a remakeā€¦ it will be some time in the five-year mission. But that is a question. Should we pick them up immediately the next day or should it be later, we are still discussing that." So while speculation of immediately following Star Trek with a return to The Wrath of Kahn seemed like a logical conclusion, it doesn't sound like they're eager to remake any of the original films. But they know that they're going to need to tread the same path that Kahn did as far as providing a worthy adversary for Kirk and his crew. Kurtzman says the sequel gives them free reign for a challenging villain:

"I think our idea on this is that the first of any series is about them coming together or the formation. I couldn't really tell you what Jeff Bridges was doing in Iron Man, but it doesn't matter at all because it is all about Iron Man becoming Iron Man. Whereas I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about. That is why Wrath of Khan was so amazing. Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the [ultimate] sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well."

Just because they have a successful beginning under their belt doesn't mean they've breathed a sigh of relief. This is where the real game begins. Orci states: "Frankly I feel more pressure because we were so confident when we came up with the idea of how to bridge canon, and yet free ourselves from canon. Now we have no excuses for anything, now we are free. Now we don't have the benefit of low expectations." In fact, these expectations are nothing short of massive, and it'll take a lot to follow up the equally massive success of the first one. But it sounds like Kurtzman/Orci are up to the task. As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/01/24/kurtzman-and-orci-talk-villains-and-setting-for-star-trek-2/

Offline whiteleppard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
Finally got around to renting this one on blue ray.  I didn't think I would like it.  After watching it, I thought it was a great movie.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 06:10:48 AM »

XD

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Onnazakari